Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
sprucetip

Alaska

3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

01-29-2012 03:12:52 | More by sprucetip

01-27-2012 04:19:38 | More by JebediahScooter
Wasatch

Utah

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Thanks goes out to portia99 for this brew.

Bottle Dated: 102511

Pours a very nice hazy dark golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice two-finger creamy off-white head, with some very nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, nice citrus note, with some pineyness. The taste is slightly sweet, hoppy, with a nice malt balance, nice citrus note, and some very slight pine notes. Medium body, with a nice dry/bitterness finish. This is another very tasty brew from MBC, always a joy to try these. Thanks Bill!

01-27-2012 00:56:34 | More by Wasatch

01-12-2012 05:06:00 | More by hopburster
auroracrisis

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

102511 dated bottle into a pint glass.

Golden amber with orange high lights and a small, foamy head rests on top. Tiny bubbles can be seen dancing to the top, and big time lacing as it is drank down. One of the best looking IPAs I have had in a while, the head is so dense and foamy it is unreal.

A dose of pine resin and tangerine zest hit your nose at first, with waves of graham cracker and fresh baked bread behind it.

Pine resin and tar on the tongue at first, then a hint at citrus and flowery notes. Much less fruity on the tongue, and a hint of ginger as well. The grain influence is minimal but can be best described as buttery Ritz crackers or fresh baked bread.

Medium bodied with a hint at carbonation, a tad sticky.

Good resin with a hint at citrus, nice subtle malt profile as well. Honestly, I expected a bit more but it was my own fault for that. A solid IPA, glad to try it.

01-09-2012 03:02:50 | More by auroracrisis

Callmecoon

12-29-2011 07:17:24 | More by Callmecoon
ghostwalker

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Date stamped 102511. I assume that means this beer is just over two months old. Served in my Smutty Big Beer tulip.

Appearance is nearly perfect. Billowy white head on a clear orange-red body. This looks like the kind of IPA I wish I could brew.

Nose is sharp citrus hops, really nice at first. However second sniffs expose a soapy quality that is a bit off-putting.

Flavor is crisp, clean, light malt with a delicious hop profile that is truly satisfying. Much more citrus than pine, overall IBUs are certainly up there, but the perceived bitterness is rather restrained. Mango, lemon, really interesting things going on here in the hop flavors I'm getting. A really nice, clean-tasting IPA.

Mouthfeel is zippy and effervescent, as if Alka-Selzer made an IPA. And I mean that in a good way, really!

Overall this is a very nice beer. I wish I didn't get that sopay smell, or I would rate it higher. I have another one in the beer fridge, and I will re-visit this review if redemption is due.

Mean Old Tom is next, looking forward to i!

12-28-2011 21:07:01 | More by ghostwalker
DSlim71

12-28-2011 17:50:09 | More by DSlim71
DrinkSlurm

4.44/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from bottle into tulip - ive had this several times, first time in 2011, and just now getting around to an actual review.
Pours a hazy golden orange with creamy white head. Nice pungent citrus tropical hop aroma, grainy. Fantastic tropical hoppy flavor, some nice bitter hop balance with a perfect grain bill...well balanced and smooth. Its chugable, delicate, balanced, near perfect. What hasn't been said about this brew. Its delicious.

12-27-2011 21:26:32 | More by DrinkSlurm