Lunch - Maine Beer Company

Wants: 1,031
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Reviews: 611 | Hads: 4,157
4.87/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maine Beer Company - Lunch

This was the one I wanted in the first place but I stumbled across almost all their other ones in the process. Save the best for last! Dated 5/21, consumed 5/30, can't get much better than that!

Look - Poured into a Craftgeer snifter, it is a hazy caramel orange with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves rings of sticky lacing. Beautiful!

Smell - Nose is grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus hop bomb with some bite, the semi-sweet malt takes a backseat but is present in all the right ways. Hearty and hoppy.

Taste - Nice snappy juicy citrus hop kick in the face followed by a graceful introduction to some piney bitter. Malt is bready and blends well.

Mouthfeel - Feel is dry bitter pine hops. This has great drinkability, carbonation is towards heavy and in conjunction with the malts you get a medium body. Booziness is low and welcoming.

Overall - This is an amazing and unique beer that is like a fusion of East and West (Think Pliny and Double Sunshine, but give it credit for being its own brew). 100% absolutely recommend this brew and Maine Beer Company in general. (1,125 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle poured into a Sam Adams 'perfect pint' glass.

AP: Nice looking orange/golden colour with a bright white thick fluffy 1" head. Dissipates down to 1/4" but good lacing on the sides of the glass when titled.
AR: Orange, grapefruit, pine with hints of pineapple and tangerine. Caramel and biscuit/cracker malts as well. Smells really inviting.
T: Similar to the nose, though the citrus flavours are more like the rind/skin than the fleshy fruit. However, they are not too bitter. In fact, the bitter lingering sensation on the finish is just about right to let you know this is an IPA. It's there without scorching your palate or puckering your mouth. A touch of sticky pine mixed in as well. The malts are more pronounced in the flavour than the aroma, making this a nicely balanced brew.
M: This seems a bit too carbonated for my preference as it feels a bit foamy in the mouth. I like an IPA that's got a little bit of chewy to it. Kind of light in body, but finishes crisp and smooth.
OV: A very tasty lip smacking IPA that lets the hops flavours shine through without being too bitter. Good malt base for balance. Definitely a treat to the taste buds. As I've said before, I wish Maine Beer would send more of their brews to NJ as the majority of them are just so limited. (1,288 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Finally got my hands on this one!!! Been a long time coming! Bottled on 5/7/13 (050713).

A: Poured into a tulip, a slightly hazy gold, with a rocky white head that hung around leaving nice lacing. Head dissipated after a few minutes, leaving a lone rocky island in the middle of the glass that remained until the end of the beer.

S: Wow, thats a nose folks. Up front, a blast of mango, pineapple, and a citrus fruit assault. Like Grapefruit and orange, tangerine, and their other citrusy compadres decided to declare war on my olfactory system. Very little pine or any other resiny characteristics.

T: Unfortunately, the aroma was the high point of this highly sought after brew. I really did not get much more than a crisp clean hop bitterness, pleasant hints of some tropical fruit and pine, and a slight honey sweetness from the malt backbone. I was really disappointed by this one, not going to lie. While it was indeed pleasant to drink, it was very dry, and much of the taste seemed to just be remnants of what I picked up from the aroma. Very dry and crisp finish. Constantly searching for more of a fruit presence, but it is just a mellow and crisp bitterness, with some slight fruit notes.

M: A bit fizzy, and on the lighter side, but nothing too out of the ordinary for the style.

O: Unfortunately, this one just did not live up to the hype. I was SOOO excited to try this one, and the second I took a sip, my immediate impulse was to check the bottled-on date to see if this was fresh....a definite red flag. Despite a bottling date of 5/7/13 (050713), a mere 19 days old, this beer tasted a bit lifeless. Pleasant no doubt, but not even close to comparable to some of the greats of the style. I went into this beer thinking it would be comparable to Pliny, a beer I am very familiar with, but this one fails to compete. While the nose was out of this world, that was the only stellar aspect of this brew. Reading some of the other reviews, I am really questioning my palate right now...Might come back and edit this one after I crack my other bottle. Maybe I am still coming down from my cold... (2,117 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out a very hazy amber color. Three plus fingers of off white head. Retention lasted quite a while. Lacing created a picturesque netting around the glass.

S: Mango, grapefruit, and pine. Smell is pretty vibrant.

T: Grapefruit and pine are dominate. Mango is in the background. An earthy hop finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation. This one is pretty crisp, not leaving a sticky or oily feeling in your mouth.

O: A top notch brew. Actually, reminds me a bit of Heady Topper. Fruity and earthy. I think this one is slightly less malty and more bitter than Heady Topper. Nonetheless, it is quite the honor to have tried this beer and put it in the ranks of IPA's elite. (681 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottled on 5/21/13; poured into a Bell's nonic pint. I didn't seek this beer, it sought me and demanded that I consume it. Pouring itself into the aforementioned vessel, it jumped out of its holding container to exclaim, "I am IPA; marvel at me." A huge, two-finger cap of foam gives way to myriad lace patterns resembling broken guitar strings, frayed curtains, and shower-glass film residue. The nose is permeated by a citric cornucopia that is backed by just enough malt to create a majestic balance of hop perfection. To characterize the taste would never do this beer any justice, as words pale in comparison to the sheer pleasure that follows the first sip. As I consumed more, I began to sense a tectonic shift within the craft beer industry. This isn't just Maine Beer's version of a West Coast style IPA; this is their version of a better one. You know the brewer has struck a chord when you can hear the cherub and the seraphim rejoicing holy, holy, holy while you're drinking it. Maybe none of it was real. Maybe I woke up one morning and imagined what the perfect IPA would taste like. All I know is that this version of IPA is without rival. Rumors have already surfaced that it can re-grow hair on bald men, and resurrect lifeless medical patients from their catatonic state. You know what, I believe them. If you're fortunate enough to get your hands on this brew, consider yourself among the chosen. Ladies and Gentlemen, Lunch is served. (1,454 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle with a date of 05/09/13 so fairly fresh (2 weeks old) wonderful yellow-orange color with a huge fluffy white head. A light piney, citrusy smell that I cant get enough of. Not overpowering but just enough. Goes down easy would definitely buy this again but too bad it's eight bucks for a 500ml bottle. I want more. (334 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - dull brass color with a white head that hung around for a long time leaving spots and some trails of lacing.

S - lots of tropical fruit and citrus.

T - sweet and tart it's a tropical fruit and bitter citrus flavored roller coaster ride for the palate.

F - medium bodied it goes down smooth and easy.

O - very good example of the style, it totally kicks ass if you drink it straight from the bottle. (448 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle with a plain Jane egg shell white label. Everything on the label is in small print. Break out the magnifying glass. The back of the label only contains the mandatory US info and a description about the brewery. Off to the left side of the bottle is an inked bottled date. My bottle was bottled on 03/26/13. MBC would like it if you drink their beer within 90 days of the bottles date. My bottle was close to being 2 months old when I cracked it open. Still good!

When poured into a Peg's Cantina Snifter, this lunch was an easy on the eyes hazy golden apricot orange with a faint streak of lemon yellow toward the bottom of the glass. The head of foam was equally impressive as the sweet ass color. On top was of this golden brew was a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch cotton white head if foam. This head of foam didn't have to be somewhere else so a small skim of foam and a moderate sized string of rings stuck around until the last drop of beer was gone. Beautiful appearance!

The first whiff of beer was a subtle mix of tart citrus fruits and pine. It was pretty good, but I thought it could have done better. When I swirled the beer around a tad, that awoke the beast from its slumber. Out comes the strong aroma of tart citrus fruits. Leading the citrus pack was the grapefruit. Following the grapefruit was the lemon, apricot, pineapple, and oranges. When the citrus fruits settled down, it then let the pine to come in and play. This beer still wasn't done. After the pine, the beer then finished up with a subtle whiff of caramel, a pinch of grass, and a few floral notes. My eyes and nose couldn't get enough of this beer.

My first two senses couldn't get enough of this beer. Let's see if my tastebuds couldn't get their fill of this beer. I could tell this beer didn't want to mess around. Right off the bat was the bitter citrus hops. These hops lingered on for a few seconds before it let in the tart citrus fruits. There was more of a fruit variety in the aroma. The taste still had its fair share of grapefruit, lemon, and orange. Following the fruits was a layer of pine. Once I got passed all of the citrus elements and pine, I found a tiny taste of toasted caramel malt. I would have though the citrus hops & fruits would have completely covered that up. After that the beer finished up with some floral notes. A very good taste, but my nose and eyes enjoyed this beer more than my tastebuds.

This was a medium bodied West Coast Style IPA that wasn't lacking in either carbonation or aftertaste. The aftertaste was full flavored and bitter with citrus hops, a select citrus fruits, pine, and floral notes. Like the head of foam, the aftertaste had nowhere to be so it stuck around. It will take about two glasses of water to rid your mouth of this nice bitter aftertaste.

Wow! What a beer. I've had 2 MBC beers so far and every one of them has been really good. They must be doing something right up there in Maine. Would I drink this again? I certainly would like another one! I would like to thank my good BA friend RCM505 for hooking me up with this winner. (3,091 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm always perusing the Maine Beer Co section in my local shops in search of the legendary LUNCH, and a stop in to get some jumbo shrimp for the grill was my lucky day. Bottled 5/7/13, this batch is nice and fresh and doesn't have time to age on the shelf as they disappear quickly in multiples.

Pours a cloudy off orange with an enormous cloudy white 4 finger head on a pour straight down the middle of the glass. Lively carbonation.

Aromas are hop forward and become prominent with a bit of warming: subtle nose of orange blossoms, tangerine, ruby red grapefruit: this has a juicy vibe to it with some noted pine needles.

Taste is more bold than the nose, and plays out as either a huge IPA or an 1.5IPA with regard to strength and bitterness of the hops. Tropical orange flavors along with grapefruit and piney resins end up as almost sticky, yet the finish is dry, zesty hops resting at the back of the palate for a long bitter finish that is a requisite quality for a great IPA

Mouthfeel is medium to full, enormous for what is supposed to be an IPA. Drying grapefruit rind aftertaste builds as you make your way through the 16.9 oz bottle.

Overall, I'm very glad I bought 4 of these. LUNCH is a top notch IPA with a thoughtfully balanced hop wallop tempered with careful malt selection. There is a noted increase in enjoyment as it warms and works its charms on you.

Those that complain that LUNCH isn't available in 6 packs, or that is overpriced expect too much from small batch hand crafted Northern New England brewers. I've spent the same or more on bombers that were mediocre at best, so you have to pay up if you want the quality.
Highly recommended and worthy of the legendary reputation. (1,709 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

54 day old bottle, poured into my Founders snifter.

Bright/hazy light peach/orange color. Poured lightly so not much of a head, but initially there is a about finger of crispy white fluff. Not much lacing at all. Color is just awesome though, and I don't necessarily believe it's a letdown without a huge head.

Hop citrus aromas seem a bit subdued. Nonetheless, there's grapefruit/orange and light lemon zest, with a bit of pine in there as well. As the beers warms up a bit, a slight floral situation reveals itself.

Citrus zest is most noticeable in the flavor. Less malty than other IPAs I am used to. But really this beer is all about the hop-forward citrus -- grapfruit, orange, some lemon, and maybe a bit of pine in there as well. Flowery session character to it as well.

Feels smooth up front, and crisp on the end. Dry but refreshing overall. But probably a bit too carbonated for me to session.

This is a solid IPA. Not my favorite, but very nice. Flavors and aromas open up as it warms. The one thing it lacks that I think is present in most IPAs and APAs I enjoy is sweetness. Would love to grab this fresher. Cheers. (1,137 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

13 day old bottle into a FFF Teku-

Appearance- Really pretty, hazy, golden orange with a big, fluffy white head that leaves nice lacing around the glass.

Smell- Huge grapefruit, pine, and orange zest. Totally hop forward, with no real detectable malt presence.

Taste- Similar to the nose, tons of bitter grapefruit and orange. As it warms up I get a bit more sweetness and some peach flavors. Finishes with a big blast of pine

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is light, but present. Has a bit of a creamy feel to it, and a super dry finish.

Overall- I'm digging it, and glad I was able to get a super fresh bottle. I'll for sure be picking up another bottle next time it comes around. (680 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -6%

Bottled 9/9/12... a little old.

Pour is a hazy golden orange with 2 fingers of light fluffy white head which lingers for a while.

Nose is moderately fragrant, with lots of resiny dry hops. Some soft hints of citrus and grapefruit.

Taste is very dry hop forward with a sticky flavor. Some subtle notes of citrus, but really just a lot of dry hop. Finish is a little more resin and sweetness.

Feel is pretty medium bodied with soft bite from the hops.

I like it. Definitely west coast style IPA with loads of dry hoppiness. Would like to try it fresher to see if there is more going on. Either way, really enjoyable, though pricey for the small format bottle. (663 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased for $5.95 at Domaney's in Great Barrington, MA. Bottled on 3/26/13. Nice labeling with a simple approach. It says to drink within 90 days of the bottling date. This beer is a touch under a month and a half old.

A- Slightly hazy golden body with a great thick white cap of foam. Fantastic retention and vigorous lacing. It truly looks the part of a great IPA!

S- The nose is very expressive with heavy notes of freshly cut grapefruit. The juice notes burst from the glass. Spending a little more time in the glass, I am noticing orange, pineapple, and peach. It's a great balance of citrus, stone, and tropical fruit.

T- It's really hop forward on the palate with a big kick of grapefruit. Notes of peach and sweet caramel malt notes follow closely behind. There is a clean aspect to the sweetness, where I wish there was more of a caramel malt presence.The hops have a leafy character to them as well, which gives the fruit notes a nice edge. The hops in general carry a very fruity and citrusy bite and the overall profile is very clean in the way that the malt sweetness melts right into the peachy notes. It does not stand out on its own, but rather blends with the hops.

MF- Medium-bodied with light mouth-filling carbonation that surprisingly carries a creamy edge. There is a lack of viscosity that adds a wonderful thirst quenching edge.

O- This was a fantastic, clean, and heavily hopped IPA. The hop flavors were interesting, the clean malt backbone was a great change of pace, and I am glad I picked it up! (1,531 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at a local restaurant on 05/07/13

A: Golden orange hue, with two and half finger head. Left some sticky residue inside the glass when settled down.

S: Strong aroma, could pick up grapefruit, lemon, and tropical fruit. Very nice with this one.

T: Definitely hop-forward taste, bitterness comes at first, and sweetness follows at the end. Aftertaste will stay around for awhile...

M: Can be misleading from its appearance. While it looks thick and heavy, it doesn't give that impression via mouth-feel. Somewhat light and balanced drink. Grainy and hoppy flavor but light at the same time.

O: One of the best beers from Maine Company. While it's a strong hop-forward beer, it doesn't leave you feeling bitter and it will make you feel refreshed at the end. Very enjoyable beer and would suggest it to anyone. (818 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very enjoyable IPA, lives up to their description as a great version of a West Coast IPA. My overall rating would have been higher if not for the hefty price tag, there's quite a few beers just as good or better even, that cost half of what this one does. (255 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 032613. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear, orangish pale color with two fingers of off white head. Head is sticky, leaving generous lacing on the glass's wall and having excellent retention.

S: Delicate hop aroma with citrus and floral notes, a little malt.

T: Mild hoppiness and a little malt. There is a very light, integrated bitterness which provides some structure. Quite dry, with no alcohol evident. Nice, though a little lacking in flavor.

M: Soft, light carbonation and medium body. Creamy texture.

O: Light tasting and highly drinkable. So drinkable that it reminds me more of a pale ale than a 7% IPA. I could probably down a pitcher of this, and I don't say that often. That being said, the level of hoppiness and flavor is quite low. (756 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle into tulip.

A - Deep golden, slightly hazy, with a titanic creamy white head.

S - Juicy tropical fruit, mango, peach and piney hops. Hints of sweet caramel and lemon citrus.

T - Lots of juicy, fresh hop flavors. Mango, pine, orange peel, and lemon. A light bready malt backbone lends a little sweetness. An earthy hop bitterness builds up and really kicks in during the finish.

M - Smooth and creamy, medium-full body. High carbonation, crisp, and refreshing. Dry finish.

O - This is an excellent IPA - very hoppy with superb drinkability. This bottle was only a few weeks old and was extremely fresh in both smell and taste. It definitely rivals most of the highly rated west coast IPA's out there. (718 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a healthy orange color with a nice creamy head. Some Head remains on top through consumption. Spotted lacing.

S: Citrus and pine hops. Grapefruit.

T: Really fresh, bright, hoppy, bitter flavor. Awesome for a regular IPA. Delivers a punch yet just on the stronger side of sessionable. Some malt flavoring to balance.

M: Medium bodied yet light enough to be refreshing on a hot day.

O: Awesome. (409 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle courtesy of BostonRyan, much appreciated. Bottled 3/26/13, drank about 3 weeks fresh. Poured into a HF glass.

A: Opaque orange amber color with a nice 2+ finger head of great retention and lacing.

S: Great citrus and tropical fruit aromas. Orange, grapefruit, pineapple, mango, a little pine, very nice.

T: A lot of bitterness. Like the bottle says, definitely a bite to this beer. The hop flavors from the nose are present but subdued. No alcohol presence.

M: Moderate-high carbonation, medium body, dry finish.

O: Definitely enjoyed, probably wouldn't go too far out of the way for it, but it is a solid IPA from a solid brewery. (644 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - medium amber in color, like an organic honey, the pour brings up a pure white thin head, small amounts of slow carbonation

S - even though I am thoroughly congested, I can still lsmell the piney hops shine through. I can tell its a hop bomb.

T - yo hops!! Piney and bitter at its best! Splendidly one sided, all hops and glorious in its hoppiness. Some cloying, teasing, sweetness right at the end; but then the hops remind you whos show this is.

M&D&O - fantastic, an amzing great hop flavor. We need more craft brewers making IPA's like this to compete with the west coast to share the IPA respect. (609 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 03/26/13, sampled 04/05/13.

Pours a clear light golden color topped by a very pillowy, soapy, white foam head that recedes to leave some sticky lacking.

Aromas begin with a ton of astrigent, juicy grapefruit with lesser blood orange, lemon peel and some light resinous pine. Some light pale malt sweetness in the background as it warms but the hops are the main deal here.

The tastes begin with more of the same, though the malt sweetness is a bit more evident. There is also some fruitier stone fruit hop flavors to join the super grapefruit and citrus forward hop profile.

The mouthfeel is a medium boided with medium/moderate carbonation. FInish is quite dry and has a pleasant amount of lingering bitterness.

Overall, this is just a reidiculously super great IPA, that I'm really glad I was able to try.
The only detraction is the value of the 500ml bottle for $8 plus tax. Is this exponentially better than the numerous amounts of hop-forward American IPAs, probably not, but amazing good and worth a try at least once. The price is worth while at least for one go around, same with Zoe from this brewery, but I can't say the others are worth the hefty investment. (1,184 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a pale golden yellow. 3 fingers Pillowy pearly white foam with lots of thick lacing sticking to the glass.

S - completely hop dominated. Lots of citrus, tropical fruit and floral notes. Fleshy orange pulp and sugar sprinkled grapefruit rind. Hints of pineapple and white pepper, maybe a touch of vanilla cake batter.

T - lightly doughy and cake like malt profile. Green leafy floral notes come in quickly followed by sweet and bitter citric notes. Flavors of bitter orange peel and sweet pineapple coat the pallet. Finish is lingers for quite some time.

M - light bodied closing in on medium. High carbonation.

O - great take on an IPA. This would be perfect for summertime (690 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from a pint bottle into a tulip. Color is golden amber and very clear, ample ivory colored head that settles after a few minutes leaving nice lacing and a thin fluffy head around the edges of the glass.

S: Sharp citrusy notes jump out of the glass at first. After sitting a minute and smelling again aroma becomes a little catty (not bad), but definitely more dank now than citrus. Very hard to pick up, but also get some faint sweet notes from the malt, but unable to pick out specific malt characteristics.

T: If this was a wine it would be french; that is to say no one flavor component jumps out they all sing together very harmoniously showing a great deal of restraint. The malt is biscuity and couples well with the crisp carbonation. Finishes very, very clean almost like a lager, just a touch of bitterness lingers on the tongue.

M: Light/medium

O: This beer is much lighter in mouth feel and overall vibrato than I anticipated. It shows amazing restraint which pays off with complete balance. It is fresh and light, opposite again from what I would expect with a name like LUNCH. I am impressed and thoroughly enjoyed drinking this beer. I can see why some comments I've read say this beer is watery, it does feel light on your palate and depending upon your mood some beers will speak more to your taste. That said would I enjoy a lunch with just a bit more malt body sure, but I also can appreciate what has been crafted in this bottle. There are many BIG IPAs on the market so therefore I believe there is also a place for a well balanced well crafted refreshing IPA. Bottled on 3-26-13. (1,617 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: medium to deep gold beer in a pint, big-as-you-want-it off-white head; moderate lacing down the glass

S: lots of hops up the nose, with citrusy and piney Warrior, Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe action

T: hop flavors are in line with aromas, suggestive of resin and grapefruit, with a balancing underbelly of pale malt sweetness

O: a very nicely weighted drink - not heavy or thick, but it isn't a brisk drink either - very balanced-feeling; wonderful bittering finish

O: I suppose this was the freshest beer I have ever consumed. Bottled: 3/26/13. Consumed: 4/3/13. Uh, let's not kid around here: This was an awesome beer. Any fan of beer owes it to themselves to drink a bottle of fresh Lunch. (702 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So this was the first beer I had in tap at Meade hall back in June 2012. It was awesome. About a year later, I get the chance to write a full review from bottles now distributed in Syracuse.

A- massive hazy darkened orange body with a blast of rocky white marshmallow foam. Truly the color you seek out for a fruity citric ipa anticipation. Awesome lacing on the edges of the glass. Wow does this foam linger

S- massive tropical pineapple, fruit, pears, and mango. Prickly grapefruit is definitely present, but wait... There is no malt scent and that is what I love in an ipa. Forget the balance, give me tropical hops just like this! East coast goodness!

T- excellent citric flavor pushes out with great resionious piney flavor. Good sweetness bursts out and it's massively bitter at the end. Great flavor

M- prickly hops lay out with smooth carbonation

O- here we go! The east coast continues to counter punch the west coast! Tropical bitterness. While the scent was all fruity hops... The taste gave some delicious balance. So glad Maine Beer Co. Is here. (1,064 characters)

Lunch from Maine Beer Company