Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maine Beer Company - Lunch

This was the one I wanted in the first place but I stumbled across almost all their other ones in the process. Save the best for last! Dated 5/21, consumed 5/30, can't get much better than that!

Look - Poured into a Craftgeer snifter, it is a hazy caramel orange with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves rings of sticky lacing. Beautiful!

Smell - Nose is grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus hop bomb with some bite, the semi-sweet malt takes a backseat but is present in all the right ways. Hearty and hoppy.

Taste - Nice snappy juicy citrus hop kick in the face followed by a graceful introduction to some piney bitter. Malt is bready and blends well.

Mouthfeel - Feel is dry bitter pine hops. This has great drinkability, carbonation is towards heavy and in conjunction with the malts you get a medium body. Booziness is low and welcoming.

Overall - This is an amazing and unique beer that is like a fusion of East and West (Think Pliny and Double Sunshine, but give it credit for being its own brew). 100% absolutely recommend this brew and Maine Beer Company in general.

05-31-2013 15:31:38 | More by JMScowcroft
Gatch

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Review #400 and finally got my hands on some Lunch! Bottled 08/10/12 (or 08/18/12...I can't tell. Either way, it's not as fresh as I'd hoped, judging by fresher dates on beers such as MO...but hey, can't complain!)

A: Hazy golden-orange-yellow because some of the sediment made it into the glass. Perfect IPA head that's incredibly bubbly, soapy, foamy, frothy, and bright white. Fades into good lace and retention.

S: Massive, juicy, piney, earthy, spicy, fruity hops. Like you have a handful of hops in front of your nose. Everything I expected. Although there's a bit of malt and booze at the very back which is a good surprise.

T: Everything in the nose plus more. Dry but refreshing. Again, everything I hoped for and expected from this beer. Beers like this really make you appreciate the nugget of goodness that is the hop. This is where the hop shines. A hop-heavy but balanced American IPA. Can't beat it.

M: Subtle crispness, clean, perfectly carbonated, perfect hop presence, flavors are on-point for a hop-forward yet balanced American IPA. At this point, the beer is practically at room temperature and the flavors are huge and the taste is still delicious. At room temperature, the carbonation disappears and only fruity, hoppy flavors come through and it almost tastes like hop juice with body. Literally. Not in a gross way, either.

O: Worth the hype? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely yes! (only $7 or $8) Worth the stress/patience/limited availability? Probably not. It's obviously not Maine Beer's fault. They make as much as they can. And it's great for their business and beer that they sell every drop they make. But once they increase production, it'll really makes things special because I waited for this for a long time. And while it met and maybe even surpassed my expectations, the allocations are crazy. Each store getting only a case and those cases either never seeing the floor or selling out the day the bottles hit the shelves. All of their other beers are spectacular so I don't see why those don't sell out immediately, either. Especially MO and Zoe. Anyway...why did I just rant in a beer review? Drink this immediately if you find it!

Thanks BeerAdvocate for all the hard work, the great, new site, and keeping me around for 400 reviews. It's been fun. I'm sure there are several hundred more reviews to come.

Update 9/21: drank another bottle dated 9/9...incredible, even fresher, could chug it (but why would you do that?), the bottle went down so quickly; the reviews and ratings are justified.

09-07-2012 01:35:49 | More by Gatch
Mises85

4.86/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: not much head at all. chestnut color with nice bubbles.

Smell: Unbelievable. Beautiful citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine with a touch of malt sweetness

Taste: more beautiful tropical fruit, touch of oiliness, hops, ever so slight amount of orange and bitterness. some lacing although not very much.

Mouthfeel: one of the smoothest IPA's I have ever had. I don't think I have ever had an IPA where it just went down with no discernible bitter aftertaste. What a glorious beer company.

01-17-2014 01:19:51 | More by Mises85
pjkelley82

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

06-18-2013 20:09:41 | More by pjkelley82
Treebs

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Bell's tulip. Got this in a mystery box from my BA buddy Mike. Thanks man!! Bottled 07/21/11.

A: Pours a deep amber, almost light brown color. What a head! 3 finger and off white after a semi-slow pour this bad boy is incredibly frothy and has some ridiculous retention. Pillows of lace. This almost looks like craters on the moon, amazing.

S: I'm getting great citrus and pear notes. Reminds me of a flowery fruit basket. I'm getting the ever so slightest of the cracker malts as well. Again I'm impressed so far.

T: A perfectly blended sweetness of fruits, apples and pears, and light flowers. The cracker malts lead in to the mild bitter hops on the finish and you have a simple yet elegant beer. Great.

M: Perfectly carbonated. Medium to light bodied with a great pear like fruitiness left on the palate.

O: Wow. I'm ridiculous impressed with this one. The best IPA I've had to date. It was just perfectly balanced and simply wreaked havoc (in a good way) on my taste buds. I wanted more and more. I need more and more. I love it.

08-27-2011 13:45:30 | More by Treebs
cosmicevan

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

bottle arrived in the mail today (thanks Gary - blessedbebeer!!!)...so it would be criminal to not drink this as fresh as possible. opened and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip.

LOT072111 (SUPER fresh)

a - wow, that's different. murky brown, almost orange. this is opaque. it is weird. HUGE frothy ipa head. point for different, loss of points for so odd to style.

s - OH YUM. candy. hops. hops candy. big citric and orange notes. tangerine. very fruity, very awesome smelling. my mouth is watering of the thought of the flavor.

t - again, candied hops. this is pretty spot on for my palette. the soft light fruit medley is soooo good. it is amazing. the hops are perfect, the sweetness is perfect.

m - mouth is good.

o - i'm giving this beer the full monty. a 5 on overall. the look is weird, the mouth is normal, but the smell and taste are my definition of what the perfect ipa should taste like. this beer being bottled a little over a week ago makes it one of the freshest ipas i've ever tasted, so perhaps that adds to it, but this beer is incredible. i recently spotted maine brewing stuff locally and hope that this one makes it out here since i'd buy up the lot and drink them all the time. thank you maine brewing company for bottling my perfect ipa.

08-02-2011 01:15:32 | More by cosmicevan
brydeen

bottle date 01-24-12

A: Pours a hazy copper color, with a massive frothy 3 inch white head. Hangs around for a while with sticky lacing clinging the whole way.

S: Nose hits instantly with a citrus explosion. Lots of orange, grapefruit, as well as some tropical notes. Maybe mango? Quite possibly the best smelling IPA I've had.

T: A pungent, bitter hop bite right off the bat. The citrus from the nose is there, but much more subtle. Nice dry finish.

M: Light-medium body with a really creamy texture.

O: An excellent drinking experience. Any IPA lover should go out of their way to try this.

02-28-2012 02:23:01 | More by brydeen
hoody711

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Gotta thank my dad for sending me 4 of these bad boys. Apparently he can buy cases of it through a hook-up in Bar Harbor, ME. Jealous. Anyways, accidentally forgot about this one and thus, this review is based on accidental aging of about 3 months. I'll try to remember what it was like fresh, and compare.

A - pours a nice bronze amber into my goblet. Good 2 finger head that settles and is already leaving nice lacing. No sediment. Very nice.

S - amazing. Nice citrus, maybe a little resiny, with some decent bready sweetness mid-nose. No sign of any booze. I remember more citrus and earthy hops when it was fresh.

T - yep, the months have killed off the hoppy bitterness here, as expected. What's left is still a very balanced maltiness, with just a touch of bitterness at the end. I compared the taste of this to Abrasive back when I first had it. Really, really good balance.

M - medium bodied, the bitterness sticks around a bit at the end. Carbonation really leaves a nice crisp, if bitter, finish. Still no sign of booze.

O - Maine Beer Company has earned the world-class rating with this one. Jesus Christ it's good! Buy as often as possible, and enjoy fresh.

07-06-2012 00:39:40 | More by hoody711
HoppySailor

Maryland

4.81/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter. Bottle dated 5-28-13.

A- Pours a cloudy orange. This one is conditioned in the bottle, so a little yeast is floating about. Two fingers of creamy white foam that retreats slowly and leaves nice lacing.

S- Very strong smell of citrus. A lot like pink grapefruit. I also smell fresh mandarin orange and a touch of grassy pine. Awesome is an understatement.

T- whoa--- it's a hop-bomb. Despite the sweet fruity aroma, this one is really bitter. That's a good thing in the IPA world of course, but it caught me off guard. It has just enough malty biscuit on the finish to keep the bitterness from chasing me away. Very nice.

T2 and M- As it warms in the glass, the bitterness becomes more complex and finishes a bit softer than before. The mouthfeel is viscous, a bit chewy. It is full-bodied on the tongue and cheeks, but no carbonation bite at all on the swallow. Oily resins present between sips.

O- The most amazing thing to me about this one is that it has the hop profile of a huge double IPA, yet it is only 7% ABV. Aside from the fact that it is 8 dollars for a 16.9 oz bottle, this IPA is a tremendous offering. Would definitely have again. Best aroma of any IPA I have reviewed. Almost worth the confiscatory price just for the chance to experience the aroma.

06-10-2013 22:43:59 | More by HoppySailor
Oakenator

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a healthy orange color with a nice creamy head. Some Head remains on top through consumption. Spotted lacing.

S: Citrus and pine hops. Grapefruit.

T: Really fresh, bright, hoppy, bitter flavor. Awesome for a regular IPA. Delivers a punch yet just on the stronger side of sessionable. Some malt flavoring to balance.

M: Medium bodied yet light enough to be refreshing on a hot day.

O: Awesome.

04-20-2013 11:50:17 | More by Oakenator
beerbiatchMD

Maine

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

50 cL bottle poured into a couple wine glasses.

A: Opaque golden color with a white lacy head.

S: Citrus hops, orangy, very aromatic, not complex but a fantastic nose.

T: Wow, very hoppy. Excellent. Again, not overly complex but simple bitter hops with lightly sweet finish.

O: I believe this is the best IPA I have had. It is difficult to find but I would highly recommend it.

12-03-2011 01:56:59 | More by beerbiatchMD
VelvetExtract

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Third Beer by Maine Beer Co. for me, have loved them all so far.

A-This brew pours a slightly hazed light yellow/amber color. From the pours grows a giant creamy off-white head. The head retains excellently. Globs of consistent lace streak the glass. This IPA looks awesome.

S-The smells is awesome as well! Huge whiffs of tropical fruity hops can be detected from a good distance from the glass. Citrus , grassiness, and a bit of pine also contribute to this great aroma. The hops are luscious and greatly aromatic. Behind the hops lies a light bread/biscuit malt. When focused upon, the malt is quite delectable as well. A great smelling beer.

T-The flavor is also quite excellent. The tropical fruit hop flavors are clearly the first thing that strikes my palate. A huge wave of fresh grass flavor envelopes my taste buds quickly after. The aftertaste displays how excellently the grassy taste lingers on the tongue. The brew is moderately bitter. It is also incredibly fresh tasting. The malt is a bit more noticeable on the tongue than in the nose. The beer is definitely hop-forward, but the malt does add some good balance and depth. The taste is just awesome.

M-The feel of the beer is slick, a bit stick, but also is crisp. The carbonation is moderate. The huge head leaves a mustache on my upper lip.

O/D-This is yet another great beer from this company. I do not know it this defeats Zoe, but this is one damn good IPA. The alcohol is masked effectively. The taste, nose and the feel are exceptional as well. Maine Beer Co. is quickly climbing up the ranks of my favorite breweries!

05-25-2011 21:45:33 | More by VelvetExtract
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

500ml bottle served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color forming a huge white bubbled and soapy head. Good retention and tons of lacings left in the glass

S: Strong notes of flowery, fruity and piny hops. Mango and passion fruit, mainly. Pale malts

T: Intense hops bitterness. Very fruity, piny and citruses. In overall, a dry taste with strong notes of flowery hops. Despite the strong bitterness, its s very smooth beer. Very pleasant and drinkable

M: Medium and smooth body. Good carbonation. Great hoppy and flowery aftertaste

O: Excellent drinkability. An American classic

07-04-2013 19:59:16 | More by eduardolinhalis
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

Lot07/21/11 Which I assume means this is 10 days old. Awesome!!! I(sure tastes that way)

Well the first comment is that the head of this beer is like a whipped meringue topping. It just sits atop the beer as you drink around it. The color of the beer is a rust/amber color with some deep orange tones. Lacing clings heavily inside the glass. It’s so thick it slowly drifts down the glass.

Aroma is bright and fresh with a huge floral/grapefruit note. Very nice.

Wow, this is a special IPA. Fresh, bright, balanced (towards the fruity HOP side!) Great light, crisp cracker malt notes. Wonderful bright grapefruit notes. Some other nice fruit notes including a moment of nectarine. The finish is fantastic and leaves you wanting more.

Very refreshing, fresh and bright. Fairly light body, but still enough substance for the flavor. Matches perfectly.

This is a beer that confirms why I enjoy standard IPA’s more than DPA’s. You’d never know this was 7%... Fantastic Beer!!!! Hopefully this will become a standard beer in MA distribution. I had to fight to get these bottles.

07-31-2011 19:49:28 | More by Reagan1984
GreesyFizeek

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

16.9 oz bottle purchased from Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY. Other bottles have been purchased at the Bushnell Basin Hess as well.

Pours a brilliant orange into my Hill Farmstead stemware. Strong carbonation present. Rings of lace stick to the glass as I drink it.

Smells so fresh, and so incredible. This Lunch was bottled about a week ago. The smell and taste fall in line basically the same. Tons of juicy fruit- orange, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, I even pick up a little bit of grape that I didn't expect. Very dry, not much malt found beneath this hop assault.

Lots of carbonation, full bodied, very dry.

Such a perfect IPA. One of the best on the East Coast- it can play with the big West Coast boys pretty well.

06-08-2013 05:37:03 | More by GreesyFizeek