Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
4.91/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottled on date of 4/15/2014
So glad I got to try this time sensitive beer pretty fresh. To start; this is absolutely wonderful and smooth to drink. Golden in color with a very serious head that was quite intense. Aroma is a bouquet of citrus and floral with some mild earthiness mixed in too. Tastes of wonderful grapefruit, some hops and citrus notes as well. Virtually no bitterness and extremely well balanced, complex, and very easy to drink. This "lunch" is somewhat medium bodied, creamy, has a little warming alcohol at the end, and finishes cleanly on the palate. Overall, this american ipa, truly is worthy of trying and is masterfully crafted!

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

I wanted to revisit this beer. The first time I had it, I was just getting into IPAs, and it blew me away.
My first sip was solid grapefruit. I mean like James Cagney smashing a half grapefruit into your face. I think the beer was too cold, because as it warmed up I got more of the skunky/ganja/pine hops that I remembered from the first time. The finish was dry and short, and left you wanting another sip as soon as you finished the first one! This is an amazing "East Coast" IPA from a one barrel, eco-friendly brewery. It is a hidden gem, and you should seek it out wherever possible.
Bottle marked 8-10-12, one month old when I tried it.

4.9/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottle invites consumers to "just keep swimming." This is also a common ultrarunning mantra.

Translucent cowardly lion yellow color. Thick, shaving cream white head sticks all over like...well, shaving cream. I never thought I'd give a 5 to an IPA that didn't have crystal clear complexion but here it is.

Smells and tastes just like ruby red grapefruit and pineapple. Not hops that smell like grapefruit and pineapple but the actually fruits themselves all up in my face. Love it. Bubblegum and sweet malty backup round out the aroma.

Taste is the aforementioned grapefruit and pineapple with sweet honey malt. Perfect amount of bitterness that invites sip after sip and was gone before I knew it. If I ever see this on tap I'm in trouble. Ample hop resin but I'd like more.

Off the top of my head one of my top 10 all time IPAs.

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love.

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Acquired from svosie, so a big “Thank You” goes out to her. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, caramelized malts and fruity citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a citrus and caramel sweetness. Then a strong but not over-powering hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and creates a good balance and creates an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a great beer to drink for a whole evening.

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

So far have loved everything from Maine beer. Lets pop this open. Golden/orangy pour with a sizable white head that settles down. First whiff, we have a winner! Is this another tropical IPA? I'm getting the grapefruit and piney hops in the nose, it is very aromatic, similar to Flower Power. Mild bitterness starts the tasting experience, nice bready malt in the background blends with tasty hops. Considering all of the strong flavors, this is light on the tongue and very drinkable with a quick dry finish. This is among the best IPA's that I have ever had. I'm not getting the real tropical flavor that the nose exudes, but it is damn near perfect. Maine Beer Company is 4:4 with me! Fantastic

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maine Beer Company - Lunch

This was the one I wanted in the first place but I stumbled across almost all their other ones in the process. Save the best for last! Dated 5/21, consumed 5/30, can't get much better than that!

Look - Poured into a Craftgeer snifter, it is a hazy caramel orange with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves rings of sticky lacing. Beautiful!

Smell - Nose is grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus hop bomb with some bite, the semi-sweet malt takes a backseat but is present in all the right ways. Hearty and hoppy.

Taste - Nice snappy juicy citrus hop kick in the face followed by a graceful introduction to some piney bitter. Malt is bready and blends well.

Mouthfeel - Feel is dry bitter pine hops. This has great drinkability, carbonation is towards heavy and in conjunction with the malts you get a medium body. Booziness is low and welcoming.

Overall - This is an amazing and unique beer that is like a fusion of East and West (Think Pliny and Double Sunshine, but give it credit for being its own brew). 100% absolutely recommend this brew and Maine Beer Company in general.

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Review #400 and finally got my hands on some Lunch! Bottled 08/10/12 (or 08/18/12...I can't tell. Either way, it's not as fresh as I'd hoped, judging by fresher dates on beers such as MO...but hey, can't complain!)

A: Hazy golden-orange-yellow because some of the sediment made it into the glass. Perfect IPA head that's incredibly bubbly, soapy, foamy, frothy, and bright white. Fades into good lace and retention.

S: Massive, juicy, piney, earthy, spicy, fruity hops. Like you have a handful of hops in front of your nose. Everything I expected. Although there's a bit of malt and booze at the very back which is a good surprise.

T: Everything in the nose plus more. Dry but refreshing. Again, everything I hoped for and expected from this beer. Beers like this really make you appreciate the nugget of goodness that is the hop. This is where the hop shines. A hop-heavy but balanced American IPA. Can't beat it.

M: Subtle crispness, clean, perfectly carbonated, perfect hop presence, flavors are on-point for a hop-forward yet balanced American IPA. At this point, the beer is practically at room temperature and the flavors are huge and the taste is still delicious. At room temperature, the carbonation disappears and only fruity, hoppy flavors come through and it almost tastes like hop juice with body. Literally. Not in a gross way, either.

O: Worth the hype? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely yes! (only $7 or $8) Worth the stress/patience/limited availability? Probably not. It's obviously not Maine Beer's fault. They make as much as they can. And it's great for their business and beer that they sell every drop they make. But once they increase production, it'll really makes things special because I waited for this for a long time. And while it met and maybe even surpassed my expectations, the allocations are crazy. Each store getting only a case and those cases either never seeing the floor or selling out the day the bottles hit the shelves. All of their other beers are spectacular so I don't see why those don't sell out immediately, either. Especially MO and Zoe. Anyway...why did I just rant in a beer review? Drink this immediately if you find it!

Thanks BeerAdvocate for all the hard work, the great, new site, and keeping me around for 400 reviews. It's been fun. I'm sure there are several hundred more reviews to come.

Update 9/21: drank another bottle dated 9/9...incredible, even fresher, could chug it (but why would you do that?), the bottle went down so quickly; the reviews and ratings are justified.

4.86/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: not much head at all. chestnut color with nice bubbles.

Smell: Unbelievable. Beautiful citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine with a touch of malt sweetness

Taste: more beautiful tropical fruit, touch of oiliness, hops, ever so slight amount of orange and bitterness. some lacing although not very much.

Mouthfeel: one of the smoothest IPA's I have ever had. I don't think I have ever had an IPA where it just went down with no discernible bitter aftertaste. What a glorious beer company.

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Bell's tulip. Got this in a mystery box from my BA buddy Mike. Thanks man!! Bottled 07/21/11.

A: Pours a deep amber, almost light brown color. What a head! 3 finger and off white after a semi-slow pour this bad boy is incredibly frothy and has some ridiculous retention. Pillows of lace. This almost looks like craters on the moon, amazing.

S: I'm getting great citrus and pear notes. Reminds me of a flowery fruit basket. I'm getting the ever so slightest of the cracker malts as well. Again I'm impressed so far.

T: A perfectly blended sweetness of fruits, apples and pears, and light flowers. The cracker malts lead in to the mild bitter hops on the finish and you have a simple yet elegant beer. Great.

M: Perfectly carbonated. Medium to light bodied with a great pear like fruitiness left on the palate.

O: Wow. I'm ridiculous impressed with this one. The best IPA I've had to date. It was just perfectly balanced and simply wreaked havoc (in a good way) on my taste buds. I wanted more and more. I need more and more. I love it.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The way an IPA should be. Amazing in every aspect, one of my favorite beers. Period.

4.84/5  rDev +10.3%

I enjoyed chilled from the bottle in a tulip.

The color is beautiful golden w/ sunny straw hue with voluminous bone white head and fine bead with thick lace and great retention 5. The smell is very citrus scented with mild tropical tangy fruit aroma with grapefruit and light floral hop notes with subtle toasted malt accent. The feel has a texture that is moderately bitter with light astringency and gentle malt sweetness with the perfect amount of juicy resinous body with moderate carbonation that keeps the malt in check with very dry finish and no alcohol noticeable.

The taste has tons of hops w/ the right complexity -blend of citrus and tropical flavors of grapefruit with mild malt adding a very gentle toasted taste with some sweetness on the palate and yeast adds a slight creaminess with gentle fruity orange-like accent with a peppery spice aspect which adds to the subtle dry yet bitter and very enjoyable quality to the finish. Overall this is on of the best IPA's in the realm of standard American style ales: Truly a work of liquid art -Kudos Maine!

Lunch from Maine Beer Company