Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros

Davihaw, Apr 25, 2014

Rekrule, Feb 15, 2014

t0rin0, Oct 23, 2012

Anubis010, Aug 29, 2014

Iamcaucasian, Aug 11, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -23%

Picked up at RSVP in Portland on sale for $5 and some change for a 16.9 oz bottle. Per the label this was bottled two days ago :)

A - I poured lightly but it produced an immense head, beer was light almost amber in color, cloudy and unfiltered, head was three finger and frothy. After a few minutes it was reduced to one fingered light and airy with great lacing. Lace lasted thoughout the whole experience with a steady layer of head making the beer look lively and not ever flat. In fact the beer appears lively until the last drop, probably the best looking bottle conditioned IPA I've had.

S - great hop smell citrusy mostly grapefruit, sweet, piney, slight malt in background. Very fragrant, overall amazing nose. Making my mouth water.

T - All I can say is water has replaced the malt character that this beer sorely needs, maybe it's just me but it's certainly missing a lot of body. The taste is good but is lacking in comparison to the smell and appearance aspects. I get a good hop bitterness but the aroma hops I smell really don't come through as I would expect, they are there but take on a more grassy flavor over the beautiful nuances I was expecting from the nose. The taste generally lacks complexity.

M - Watery and slightly over carbonated. Does a great job at hiding the alcohol. This beer is 7% and from the taste and mouthfeel I would say this beer is sessionable, if only it came in 6/12 packs... It is certainly enjoyable and refreshing.

Overall I was let down from the taste, mainly from my own expectations and what I have heard of this beer, I was generally excited picking this up and seeing it was bottled 2 days ago.

But for what it is worth, it is a really good local IPA, which I could really dig if I wanted something of low complexity to enjoy with some casual fair and light conversation, or sitting by the pool in the summer, maybe a cigar with a connecticut shade wrapper to add to (or even escape) the flavor experience. For the price and format though I cannot see myself buying this again as there are many more examples in the segment that have a more fulfilling taste and a better price point.

MaineBrewing, Nov 21, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -22.6%

AvBF, Sep 28, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: Amber with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell: It's an IPA, fresh fruity hops

Taste: Hoppy upfront. A brief malt respite fades into a bitter, grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick with some carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, just nothing profound or overwhelming. They say this is an East Coast made IPA dedicated to West coast IPAs and I can see that. It leans more towards hops than malts and is definitely drinkable. Not my favorite, but this company donates 1% of its yield to environmental non-profits. Cool.

PsilohsaiBiN, Dec 02, 2012