Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lunch - Maine Beer Company

Wants: 1,072
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Reviews: 631 | Hads: 4,278
4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

4.34/5  rDev 0%

Bottle dated 11/18/12 poured into a DFH Signature Glass

A: Orange/amber color with a fairly large head and really nice lacing

S: Punches you in the face with huge tropical hops!

T: Topical, citrus taste with a lot of orange rind. Good bittering balanced with a small malt backbone

M: Very easy drinking and would be happy to have multiple in one sitting if I was lucky enough.

A fantastic IPA that highlights tropical and citrus flavors. Great east coast IPA!

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to glass

Appearance - Poured a hazy orange colour with a great white head. Absolutely brilliant

Smell - Huge amounts of citrus, grapefruit, grassy, and some piney notes

Taste - Much like the smell, lots of citrus, grapefruit, mango, piney. Hops and malts are really well balanced

Overall - This is an amazing example of the style. I happened to be in a beer store and see this and thought I would give it a try and boy and am I happy I did. It really deserves the hype it receives and the praises it gets

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My expectations were somewhat tempered after hearing a few people downplay this beer before I finally got the chance to try it. Is it among the best of the best? Not quite, but excellent nonetheless.

Pours a deep dark hazy gold with two fingers of fluffy white head that hangs around for a while. Quite a looker. The balance of tropical fruit and bitter hop resin is the most impressive feature. Lots of pineapple and mango in the nose. An initial burst of tropical and floral sweetness on the palate quickly gives way to the piney bitterness. Finishes crisp and clean. It's a bit on the light side, but substantial enough to carry the flavors well.

Overall, I'd consider it a top tier IPA. I overpaid for my bottle just to finally try it. Glad I did, but I'll likely only buy it again if I find it at a more reasonable price.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled two weeks ago. Beautiful deep brown with orange-copper shades and a creamy thick white foam. Almost a 5. Aroma: All citrus, from tangerine to pinneaples with very light pine and malt. Taste is juicy hops, very fruity. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste and remains for a long time. Ample and smooth mouthfeel, medium carbonation. Being very fresh, hops take all the place. Maybe a little simple but so damn good. It’s up there with Edward. Above my expectations since I didn’t enjoy Peeper and Zoe that much.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours an orange/gold with 3 fingers of light, fluffy head that dissipates slowly leaving behind a thick layer of lacing. Slightly hazy with low carbonation.

N: BAM! It's like a bomb of orange citrus. A little lemon makes an appearance along with cantaloupe and light notes of pine, pineapple and mango.

T: Navel orange, pineapple, honeydew melon, mango and faint pine upfront. Mid-palate brings in balanced caramel, lemon zest, orange and cantaloupe. Finishes juicy with orange, lemon, melon, hints of pineapple and ever-so-subtle pine and grassy florals.

M: Medium bodied, juicy, crisp, clean and refreshing.

O: An incredibly juicy and balanced IPA. Cantaloupe and honeydew flavors are unique and the citrus and tropical fruits don't hurt at all. I finished my pint in record timing and am left wanting more. EXCELLENT!

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to my bro for sharing this bottle.

Pours an extremely hazy burnt orange with creamy white head. Got some rings down the glass.

Very citrusy hop aroma, nice piney notes compliment the citrus.

The taste is very citrus hop forward. Just like the nose the more piney notes compliment the citrus perfectly.

The mouth feel is top notch. Medium to full in body with a semi high amount of carbonation. Feels like the hop devils stabbing my tongue with pine infused pitchforks. Extremely smooth and easy drinking but the second half of the sip attacks your taste buds in the best way possible.

Solid IPA all around. I feel bad for my brother because I think this ended up being a 70/30 split in my favor. Worth seekin out.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

The beer pours a gorgeous golden brown and murky, with a huge fat cream head with big patches of sticky lacing on the sides. The color is really gorgeous and I am loving the two finger width head that lasted for quite some time. The smell is beyond heaven with its fruity punch. Mango, papaya, and a wonderful pop of pine are the dominant smells here, but the malts are also there with a very slight biscuit. There’s even a slight bite of alcohol in the back of the smell, along with a classic bitter bite. On the taste there is a lighter bite of fruit. Mango and papaya are still dominant, but there is also the classic tinge of grapefruit in the taste. Malt is light and biscuity, but definitely a side show to the delicious hops of this beer. Mouthfeel is also to die for with velvety smoothness. Carbonation is effervescent in the start, but mellows out instantly into a sweet caress on the tongue. The mouth is left with some nice saliva along the sides of mouth and great dry bitter streak on the top and bottom of the mouth. The afterfeel is a little too dry for my taste, but still pleasant. Overall this is an awesome IPA with terrific fruitiness and a dry streak. This is a must drink, and is up there with the best IPA’s of the East Coast. This one doesn’t top Heady Topper, obviously, but it is quite tasty and a tremendous example of the style. Drink this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Slightly hazed amber leading with some gold edges. Head is bright-white, fluffy, and sticky as can be. Great lacing and the head retention is impressive.

Smell: Nose is aggressive on the hops without being in your face. Loads of citrus up front, but a nice touch of pine brings it around and rounds it all out. Malts pack a nice surprise, bringing some touches of biscuit/bread to the party. A touch of sweetness from the malts as well.

Taste: Almost a spot on match for the nose. The hops linger and provide a solid bitterness, but the malts act as a countering sweetness and balance the whole thing out. This is definitely a balanced IPA and definitely inline with the "East coast" style.

Mouthfeel: Bordering on full. Carbonation is almost perfect for my take on the style. Drinks super smooth. Maybe some dryness near the end of the beer.

Overall: My first take on this beer was that it was mindblowing. I decided to drink a second bottle to make sure. the second bottle showed me that it's not a knock-your-socks-off kind of beer, but it's extremely well balanced and delicious to boot. Probably one of the best examples of the East coast IPA, and at $7-$8 for the 500mL, it's a solid find.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A bottle into some glasses.

This came out nice. Lunch is a copper bronzish color with a nice billowy bright white head with great retention and stick. Nice legs on this one.

Smell is bright with citrusy pungent hops exploding with ripe mango, grapefruit and the like. The malt really does not make a whimper here. Some pine trailing the tropic pack.

Unlike the nose, the pine and oily resiny hops come out to play in taste and clash with the tropics. It's a great battle though and Im torn. Anywho. Pine up front, pineapple, grapefruit, resinous hops, and I guess malt?

Feel is light bodied and dry going down and there is a very nice amount of bitterness all the way through. It's carbed up plenty and overall, Lunch lets you know that it's there.

Great stuff. Really impressed with the beer here. Not the most balanced IPA out there, alot of clashing going on, but hey, this is from the East Coast and we are not known for our IPA's. I can seriously say that this is worth a go, if fresh.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lunch pours a very clear deep gold with a beautiful head that really lingers. Fruity orange citrus and pine in the aroma with a bit of sweetness. The orange gives way to grapefruit which leads nicely into the flavor. The grapefruity hops come on strong in the flavor with just a bit of sweetness. The malt is dominated by a strong, but not overpowering bitterness. Overall this is a really nice IPA especially for a couple months old. I imagine it's hard to beat right off the bottling line.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer, saved the best for my first MBC tasting. How will my palate recover!?

A-Beautiful golden that you expect from a high quality ipa.

S-good not great

T-WOW maybe my favorite taste on par with heady topper. Perfect balance of bite and smoothness/drink ability.

M-same as taste

O-wow my first mbc beer and it blew me away! Can't wait to get my hands on more ASAP. Well done everyone up in MAINE!

Edit: 5/22, I have had numerous bottles and Lunch on tap since my first review and had to improve it. Just a fantastic beer, very crisp and smooth. Really hope I can try Dinner eventually!

Had this on 2012-09-29 in Columbia, PA

A - Moderately-hazy yellow-orange with a 2.5-finger pillowy white head and nice lacing.

S - Herbal/grassy, citrus, touch of peach, pine and maybe a faint hint of mint.

T - Elegant touch of hop forward grapefruit flesh and hop cone taste, then a very delicious lightly-tart orange, green apple, light grass and pale malt. Finishes with some really flavorful apple and orange/grapefruit sweet/tart/bitterness. A really well-balanced, subtle and flavorful brew. Not overly bitter and it doesn't need to be.

M - Medium body and carbonation. Crisp, prickly, lightly resinous, refreshing. Excellent.

O - The best Maine Brewing Company beer I've tried. Top-notch stuff. I want more.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Pours a deep, pretty amber with a three finger thick layer of white foam floating nicely a top

S: Grapefruit, citrus hops right away! A touch of orange with a mixture of some breadiness. Very, very nice.

T: Great tasting beer! Follows the nose bursting with that grapefruit-citrus hop profile.. tinge of pineness.

M: Smooth, clean and clear IPA. Makes one smile!

O: A very good beer. My first from MAINE, hopefully not my last. Definitely one worth seeking out - that is for sure!!!

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

A-a hazy orange brown color with a nice thick white head and good lacing

S-lots of citrus and tropical fruit with some floral notes

T-nice blend of citrus, pine and caramel malt flavors and a solid, but not overwhelming bitter hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth and well-balanced

O-an excellent IPA that I hope to be able to drink on a regular basis

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%

It's kind of like Christmas when Maine Beer Co puts out a new beer - you don't quite know what's coming, but you know it will be good.

A modest pour yields an immense head - thick, rocky, and white, leaving loads of snowflakey lacing down the sides and lasting til the final sip. Pretty gorgeous. I'm getting a lot of orange creamsicle in the nose - plenty of citrus, but a nice touch of honey and cream malt profile. Extremely fresh hop taste here - again mostly citrus with a strong orange oil presence. Nice bitterness up front, but as hoppy as this is, it's actually quite balanced too. Nice deep malt here, a touch of caramel, smooth and sweet. Excellent body, slightly chewy and full. Really a lot of flavor here from all sides of the spectrum, but remaining somehow simple, straightforward, and refreshingly drinkable. Another awesome beer from the guys down the road.

4.36/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 5/28/13, first time trying this bad boy and I'm glad it is extremely fresh.

Appearance: Pours a deep orange into my Newport Storm tulip. Two finger white head disappeared relatively quickly. Solid lacing on the glass, still slightly hazy, but a beautiful IPA.

Smell: First thing I sense is piney and floral notes, maybe some simcoe hops in there? Very appealing scent but not as much fruit as I'd expect from an IPA. Maybe a little citrus in there but nothing overpowering.

Taste: Can certainly taste the west coast hops right at the forefront with a dose of citrus fruit as well. Somewhat bitter, but in a way that I like in an IPA. Certainly a West Coast IPA brewed on the East Coast. I'd like to try a Sierra Torpedo right now to compare as I sense similarities. After several sips I noticed the aftertaste, which offers a hint of caramel sweetness. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the flavors actually grow and get better as the beer warms, unlike some IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Light and drinkable, but definitely not the most refreshing IPA you will have. The bitterness keeps you coming back for more and it is decently carbonated.

Overall: This is obviously a great IPA from Maine Beer Co that I just had to try. This is a wonderful West Coast IPA that if not for the high price I would drink a lot of. Need to get my hands on some Pliny to truly compare.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

500 mL bottle poured into a British pint glass.

Appearance - Overflowing foam as I pour it into what should be an appropriately sized glass. When it finally calms down it has a three finger head and I had to pour the rest in a separate glass. The color is a deep murky orange with a nice layer of foam atop the body.

Smell - A good mix of hop aromas. A lot of citrus, specifically grapefruit and lemon, with a balance of pine. Makes for a good nose, just not something that dominates the airspace above the glass.

Taste - Nice hoppy flavor with just enough malt to balance it out. Citrus and pine, like the nose, with some caramel malt that doesn't add sweetness, just cuts the bitterness. It finishes with a deep bitterness that is quiet, but intense. It's kinda odd and seems like a flaw, but doesn't bring the beer down much.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and good carbonation, without being tingly. Very drinkable. With such a small amount of bitterness, this beer goes down more easily than I can handle with only two bottles.

Overall - There's something a little bit unclean about the finish and the appearance. It's tough to specify exactly what's wrong with it, but it's just shy of spectacular. Still something delicious and another great IPA coming from northern New England. Look out, San Diego.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from the bottle into a Stone VE stem glass..

A- pours a hazy amber/copper with a 1/4 in. white head that slowly dissipated. Just the way I want an IPA to look!

S- smells like you'd expect a west coast IPA to smell- but its about as far from west coast as can be! fresh citrus, super piney, little bit of grass clippings.

T- hoppy bitterness from start to finish, more citrus, grapefruit, resinious... a little malty nuttiness at the end, but the hops still linger, and hang long after. I would describe this like a friend described Blind Pig- tastes like Xmas trees. (in a very good way)

M- tingling but light the whole way, hops will bite your tongue, just enough carbonation to foam in the mouth a little opening up all the flavors.

O- A damn good IPA, well representative of west style from the east. I'd love more of this!

Edit= continuing to sip on this I'm picking up more pine and pineapple in the nose (I think my allergies just cleared)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 6/25/12 so yeah its fresh.
I lucked into this bottle because a good friend had my back, thanks Bert. Pours a slightly hazy deep golden amber color with a huge meringue like head that leaves lots of stickies on the way down. This smells incredible! Grapefruit, pine, resin, a bit of tangerine or orange, and hardly any barley to be found. The flavor follows the aroma obviously. There's a splash of bready malt somewhere in the beginning before the resinous pine and citrus onslaught. Nice tropical fruit flavors coming through along side the dank sticky pine and resin. Finish is fairly dry with a pleasant lingering hoppy bite. Medium to light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a slick resinous mouthfeel. If this beer wasn't so damn hard to get and so highly priced I would drink these all the time, its a beautiful beer. Maine beer, you make wonderful brews, but the 16oz bottles and your high price point turn a lot of people off. /end rant

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

An aggressive but not overpowering bitter note, and I’m pleased that it doesn’t have too much of that unctuous maltiness that comes with some super-hoppy beers. The primary association it evokes for me is haying season. Freshly mown grass still green, and the clumps of compressed sod in the back of the tractor bed, strong and complex with a ganja-tinge and just the faintest hint of fermented sweetness.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

What Flower Power does for floral characteristics in an IPA, Lunch does for grass. This beer is one of the best examples of late/dry hopping I've ever tasted.

Appearance: Warm copper that slights almost towards amber in color with a nice brown egg colored head. Lots of nice lacing.

Aroma: Sweet grass comes to mind with a nice big hop array. Grassy for sure, but also a candy like orange flesh and slight herbal tones come out too. Unlike others, I'm not getting any pine. Really nice nose on this one.

Taste: Beautiful example of the aroma and the taste blending together to give a really special affect to the taste. The beer's taste on its own isn't all that robust. Very grassy and not a lot other than some basic caramel/bready tones from the malt. But the sweet vibrance of the nose, the citrus flesh and sweet grass characteristics, imbibes this beer with a huge boost in the taste. One would be missing the major part of this beer if they were ever to drink it straight from the bottle.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Really drinkable and fun. Light body for a 7% IPA. Because the aromatics play such a large part of the flavor, there is really nothing abrasive about this beer.

Overall: If anyone ever wants to know what a super hoppy, yet not bitter IPA tastes like, go to this beer. If you don't understand what the terms hop aroma and hop character mean aside from IBUs, reach for a Lunch IPA. Really a great brew from what is fastly becoming one of my favorite breweries.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This beer is amber in color with a big frothy white head. The aroma is sweet and hoppy and the initial flavor is a sweet fruity hoppy beer with subtle dank piney hops following. The only weakness in this beer for me was the mouthfeel. It was much thinner than I like.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

Hyped up, looks nice, smells nice tastes excellent. Surrounded by Excellent beers here in the northeast it isn't the best beer I have had but it certainly is extremely good, better than most no doubt.The hype is legit and the price is right. Would drink several times over.

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful golden orange pour, slightly hazy with adequate carbonation. Poured an enormous head in a tall ale glass (4+ fingers!), which was pure white and left lovely, thick lacing on the glass for the entirety of my experience. Very impressive.

S - Smells like a pure hop bomb: bright, hoppy, grapefruit, lemongrass. It smells like the flavor "tart" come to life in my nostrils. Strong but clean. A little bit of toast. The scent retained its strength down to the bottom of the glass.

T - Very nice clean taste, strong of grapefruit/orange peel, and a hint of lemon. Pleasant caramel malt balance, and a slight citrus, apricot, and mango sweetness. Very, very well balanced.

M - Fresh and crisp, very easy to drink. Instead of an oily sheen, it more feels like you've left some grapefruit pulp in your mouth; the aftertaste is very pleasant. One of the better mouthfeels I've had in an IPA.

O - This drinks thinner than a DIPA (not as syrupy), but with almost as much flavor. Definitely one of the cleanest, most enjoyable IPAs I've had.

Bottled in late May.