Amber Sun Ale - 16 Mile Brewing Company

16 Mile Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 08-05-2009

Roasty finishing malts, balanced with just enough bitterness provides a traditional amber ale that is dark red to the eye, but not heavy on the palate. 16 Mile names this premium amber ale for the famous sunsets found at the Breakwater Lighthouse located off of Lewes Beach, Delaware.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amber Sun Ale Alström Bros
1.71/5  rDev -51.4%

When I was in Delaware last week my waiter recommended I go out and find a bottle from the new local brewery, 16 Mile. At the beer store down the street I found a bottle of Amber Sun Ale and hoped for the best. Well now that I've actually had a chance to sit down and drink it I'm very un-impressed.

The easiest way for me to explain this beer is water mixed with hops. Not a beer with a strong hop flavor, simply water and hops mixed into a bottle. By no means am I a good home brewer but this tastes like the first beer that a home brewer would try to make. The only thing this beer has going for it is it is a nice color, and that's not what you want people commenting on when you drink a beer.

My recommendation is to stay away from this brew. Maybe the other offering from 16 Mile iis good, but pass on this one. (819 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -36.9%

I am always for trying out a new microbrewery. This one though did not impress me. For the first beer to come out of the brewery it seemed extremely sterol. The bottle looks way to much like a bud product. The liquid inside the bottle was looking much the same. Crystal clear, true amber color with dark candi sugar in the nose but lacking hop presence. Flavor was quick and a let down, mild maltyness, little hop flavor. Mouthfeel was watery. For $6 a 22oz bottle I can think of a few hundred beers Id rather have. Im a bit sad as its a new brewery right down the road from me, I would love to have some more good beer around. (627 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

I think this may be the last beer from my trip to Deleware that I still have, but I finally opened the Amber Sun Ale that I got form 16 Mile brewery. I have to say, this one wasn't as good as I remember. It was nice when I tried it in the brewery, but opening it up at home I'd say it came out too sweet and too malty. Still, not bad overall, but just a bit too sweet without anything to balance it on the other side in my opinion. (431 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

A curious concoction in an even more curious 22 oz bottle-shaped metal can (I guess I should call this serving type a can?)

It pours an odd light brown color with almost no head. Not unattractive, but it looks more like a cup of medium strength coffee than a beer. The aroma is, well, like a cookie. Like a molasses or ginger cookie. Not excessively sweet, but definitely a big whiff of a bakery. The flavor carries it through - bready, toasted, toffee, with a coffee-like bitterness in the end, perhaps lightly tannic. Not much by way of hops, and the malt is muted. The mouthfeel is thin and a bit flat.

This is not bad, I suppose, but It is not one I really want to return to. (681 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -14.5%

A- Really small head that does not stay around at all. Body is an amber red and clear.

S- Sweet malts and a caramel come through. nice scent.

T- Theres a sweetness upfront that has a hint of fruitiness. Really not too much going on in the taste and is kind of blah. light caramel toward the end and the finish leaves nothing to linger.

M- About a medium mouthfeel that feels pretty nice but theres almost no carbonation.

O- not too impressed with this beer. (464 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Since my girlfriend grew up in Georgetown I always grab a case of 16 Mile when I'm here. It is a pretty good beer.

A-The bottle is okay but could have a little more character.

S-The smell is malty and roasted.

T-The taste is okay but gets better over time.

M-A little weak but goes down smooth.

O-It is an okay beer overall. It is nothing to brag about. (359 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours clear dark brown with a fluffy white head that hangs around for a minute or two.

Smells like esters and CO2 with some malt. No hops.

Tastes sweet. Slightly malty with an aftertaste of sweet piney hops. Nothing really distinguishable in this beer from other ambers besides that though.

Mouthfeel is about right. Carbonation is spot on. Leaves some sweet malt behind and that lingering hop flavor is okay as well.

Yeah I don't see anything here that I would call special. I also don't see anything that is flawed in this beer, but with there being so many incredible ambers on the market, I probably wouldn't select this one again unless my other options were crap. (674 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a clear red/brown color with a two finger tan foamy head. Foamier than most beers, very light foam though. Pretty good retention and decent lacing.

S: A good bit of caramel malt, some toasted bread, and a light citrus hop aroma. Not bad.

T: Not a ton going on, some sweet caramel, grains, and some fruit, mostly bruised apple and a little bit of plum.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: I don't mind beers in the style that are on the malty side, but this one has no sign of hops at all. The bottle is cool, but 16 Mile is moving to glass bottles soon. Too many good beers out there to buy this one consistently. (662 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a reddish brown. Pretty appearance. Smells malty and sweet. The smells is probably the best part of this beer. Tastes boring. Malty... A bit thin. The mouthfeel is okay. Nothing special . Overall the beer isn't bad but isn't great. Finished the glass no problem but wouldn't order it again. (296 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -9.9%

I was given the remainder of my wife's pint (1/2) to finish, so I will give my thoughts: served chilled in a pint.

A Dark Ruby w/ no head, translucent and no lace is apparent.

S - Mild malt aromas, slight nutty nose w/ light caramel esters.

M - The body is light w/ medium carbonation, mild sweetness and gent nutty texture the finish is clean overall.

T - A gentle malt flavor w/ subtle sweet caramel flavor, and tinges of toast w/ a light hop to offset the semi-sweet flavors. The beers is mild flavor-wise and finishes balanced for what it is.

D - I consider this a mediocre beer, a general amber flavor(not my fave). The appeal is not there for me and could go either way, but I give it an above average rating since I could not find any major flaws, it is well brewed, just nothing too exciting. (806 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Got a couple of these thanks to a trade with Dedon1970. Thanks again Don!

Consumed 9/19/09- from notes.

22oz aluminum bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very clear copper with a two finger white head that settles to a thin cap. Some lacing, active carbination. Looks pretty good.

S- Very sweet initially, caramel, malt and a little light citrus.

T- The same as the smell but much stronger malt flavor. A little dry on the finish as it warms.

M- Medium bodied, not too smooth but mot too carbinated.

D- Started off pretty good but as I got to the end I had decided that I wouldnt have more than one in a sitting. Its a decent brew and glad I tried it but probably wont be picking up any more. Looking forward to more from this new brewery though.

The aluminum bottle was pretty neat.

After reading Kegatron's review I'm going to have to agree on listing it as a can for now. (886 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to my parents for bringing me back a few different varieties of 16 Mile Brewing beers on their recent trip to the Delaware coast. I didn't think there were many breweries that I have not heard of before, but alas, there is at least one. They only make three beers and they come in 16oz aluminum cans.

A: Pours from the aluminum can a beautiful red copper with a nice, creamy one finger head into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. The head lasts for a while and laces pretty nice. It is a nice eggshell white.

S: The smell is fairly straightforward for an amber ale. Decently sweet caramel and a touch of toffee and coffee. Very grainy with grainy sweetness and sugar. Also, hints of apple as well.

T: The taste is fairly decent. Nothing extreme, but decent sweet caramel and sweet pale grains. The apple flavor carried into the taste, but not in a bad way.

M/D: Nice carbonation and a pretty good body.

Overall, this beer is average. I'm glad I tried it and I would definitely get it again. (1,002 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark reddish amber with a quickly fading medium beige head. Both taste and aroma has some toasted caramel malt, barley with some mild bitter hops for balance. A medium bodied brew with mild carbonation on the palate. Finishes with some toasted caramel malt and mild hops bitterness. Flavor could have been a bit stronger but overall an good drinking brew. (363 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

This brew was on tap at the Irish Eyes Pub in Rehoboth Beach, Since I never had it before or even heard of it I figured I'd try it. The beer poured out with a reddish color to it with a thin tan colored head on top. The head didn't last very long and left no lacing either. The smell of this beer is malty and a little grainy. The taste a little bland, there really isn't too much excitement here really. The mouthfeel is average, it's a little watery and doesn't really good to much for me. Overall it's an average ale. (520 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

No bottled on date I can find

Pours red, copper, brown mix with soapy half finger head. Good clarity.

Smells of caramel like malt. A bit of toffee.

Taste is very mild but a bit nutty and the caramel comes thru some. A little bit of sugary sweetness but hops and bitterness are almost non-existent up front. A little bit of bitterness does come thru later but sweet malt is highlighted here.

Feel is a bit light but wouldn't say it finishes dry. Carbonation is on the low side of medium. Could probably use some more.

Pretty pedestrian beer. (551 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Amber brown (shocker)/ruby red. Quick fading one finger head, no visible carbonation, nice and clear.

S - Toasted malts, caramel, and a slight smoke/molasses aroma. Pretty much all the average aromas one looks for in an amber ale.

T - Nothing too special/exotic. Lots of caramel and sweet sugars. Nice toasted grains and malt flavoring.

M/D - Great carbonation, sweet finish, moderate alcohol feel, and very easy to drink.

A good amber from a new brewery and I dig the fact they are trying to bring the aluminum bottle to the craft beer scene! (551 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep copper from the bottle with a fast reducing white head. Caramel and bready aroma, but not terribly strong. Tastes of bread, caramel and toffee, with just a touch of bitterness. Medium mouth that's maybe even a bit creamy. This seems to be a decent, but unremarkable beer. (284 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance wise, pretty boring. Color is ruby amber and flat . Very little head, white and unresponsive. Aroma is light and mostly of malts. Taste finds a mostly malt based ale with little in way of hop flavor and bitterness. I don’t think I would prefer another one. (269 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange red with a 1 finger head

smell: mostly malts, with little hops

taste: caramel, malts,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: this category has a very broad range from hoppy red's to very malty reds. this one leans towards the more malty side.

Cheers,
The CPJ (324 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -4.5%

Served from a 22-ounce aluminum bottle into a plain tumbler pint glass.

A: Medium, reddish copper color with fierce carbonation building to a two-finger head of dense, creamy, off-white foam which retains nicely and leaves a bit of sticky lace.

S: Sweet, roasted caramel malts, a bit of toffee and smoked peat, but also a hint of bubble solution or sidewalk chalk; hard to place it.

T: Smooth, creamy, bitter roasted malts with a hint of metallic, watery grains that interrupts an otherwise semisweet and fruity malt palate. Very low bitterness with a dose of smoky, sticky malt sweetness and herbal, mineral water and hop taste in the finish.

M: Medium-full bodied with a hint of creaminess. Very smooth throughout but a bit of a harsh, metallic feel before the finish.

O: Not a bad red, but certainly one that isn't without its flaws. Hovering around 6% ABV, it's on par with the plethora of other red ales and even has as good of a look and mouthfeel as most. A bit overly carbonated and maybe a bit metallic, but not all that bad of a red ale. (1,052 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The brew poured with a one finger, off white head on top of a clear, chestnut body. It had lots of visible, active carbonation. The nose was a bit on the nutty side with a very minute hint of hops. The taste of the beer was not what I expected. It had a lot of carbonation with a thinner body. The taste had a bit of fruity sweetness to it with some nutty, caramel malts. It had a bit of a metallic flavor to it as well. The finish lingered for a bit with the sweetness that was apparent in the taste. For a person that doesn’t like ambers, this one was actually decent. Worth a try! (585 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – The beer is served an deep amber color with a one finger off white colored head. The head has a decent level of retention, fading to leave a moderate level of streaky on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer lighter overall with some aromas of toasted malt and a little bit of caramel sweetness. Along with these smells are some light earthy and grassy smells with just a hint of biscuit mixed within.

Taste – The taste begins with a biscuit and toasted malt flavor with a lighter level of caramel sweetness. As the taste advances so too does the caramel increase in intensity, but it does so only temporarily, with it again fading a bit as the flavor advances more toward the finish of the taste. Once the caramel starts to dwindle some hop flavors of a more earthy and grassy nature come to the tongue. These remain relatively light overall, and when mixed with the bit of caramel sweetness and the rather toasted malt flavors of the brew, end up leaving a rather clean and crisp lightly roasty flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the average side. Both suit the flavor profile rather well, making for a very easy drinking brew that is rather refreshing overall, but yet still adequately stacked in flavor.

Overall – A rather easy drinking beer. Although a little light in the bitter department for a esb and in many ways more amber ale in nature in my opinion, it is decently flavorful and easy drinking none the less. (1,593 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance - amber, very clear, two finger head, reminds me of a redwood tree

Smell - smells slightly hoppy, fairly sweet

Taste - carrmel, straightforward amber ale, sweet and still slightly malty

Mouthfeel - slightly carbonated

Drinkability - very drinkable, would have again, really cool bottle as well more craft breweries should adopt this style (353 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2%

Hey, for those that reviewed the serving style as "Bottle" vs. "CAN", I would beg to differ with you. The message is the medium and it is aluminum, which CANstitutes "CAN" in my book. I do not care what shape it may be formed into, if it is not made of glass, it is not a bottle. Hell, on this site, 5L kegs are CANsidered CANs. That's my p.o.v. and I am sticking to it until directed otherwise. Diatribe aside, this marks # 398 as I inch closer to another CANQuest (TM) milestone. I had gotten a BeerMail from a father and son who scored some of this for me, but we could not seem to cross paths until last Saturday at TJ's. Many thanks!

No Crack, but plenty of Glug! A thin, wispy head with low retention was produced and I immediately missed a regular CAN. Nose was very sweet with caramel malt, almost toffee-like in its intensity. Color was a very hazy reddish-amber. Mouthfeel was medium with a really intense caramel sweetness initially followed by a quick wash of citrus hops and then the return of the caramel malt. Finish was equally sweet and while I CANnot dun it for the style, it was really rich for my taste. (1,124 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #59 (December 2011):

LOOK: Crystal-clear reddish-amber

SMELL: Toasted bread, dried fruit, broth, yeast, faintly buttery

TASTE: Rich malt, caramel, toasted pie crust, twang of overripened fruit, estery alcohol, woody hops, spicy bitterness, faint roasted grain, semidry finish, light aftertaste

Not overly exciting or sessionable, but it’s got flavor and balance. For those looking for a basic, stronger English-style Ale brewed stateside, it’s worth a try. (497 characters)

Amber Sun Ale from 16 Mile Brewing Company