Amber Sun Ale - 16 Mile Brewing Company

16 Mile Brewing Company visit their website
Delaware, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 08-05-2009

Roasty finishing malts, balanced with just enough bitterness provides a traditional amber ale that is dark red to the eye, but not heavy on the palate. 16 Mile names this premium amber ale for the famous sunsets found at the Breakwater Lighthouse located off of Lewes Beach, Delaware.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Amber Sun Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

I picked up two bottles at Woodside Liquors south of Dover while visiting my brand-new grandson.
Ap. I love the aluminum bottle, beautiful. It pours a very dark coppery amber. The beer was cold from the fridge and had no head whatsoever. The second half pour produced a nice head.
Sm. Not a real strong smell, but I noticed mostly sweet caramel with a faint lemon that got stronger as the beer warmed up.
Ta. The caramel was foremost, but I also thought of coffee, candy, butterscotch?, but it was not an overly sweet taste. A nice bitterness in the finish with lingering caramel.
Very pleasant.
Mf. Decent carbonation, filling, with a nice thickness.
Dr. I like this beer and could easily drink a couple of these, except for the price. Six dollars per 22oz. bottle is out of my range for common beer drinking.

1.71/5  rDev -51%

When I was in Delaware last week my waiter recommended I go out and find a bottle from the new local brewery, 16 Mile. At the beer store down the street I found a bottle of Amber Sun Ale and hoped for the best. Well now that I've actually had a chance to sit down and drink it I'm very un-impressed.

The easiest way for me to explain this beer is water mixed with hops. Not a beer with a strong hop flavor, simply water and hops mixed into a bottle. By no means am I a good home brewer but this tastes like the first beer that a home brewer would try to make. The only thing this beer has going for it is it is a nice color, and that's not what you want people commenting on when you drink a beer.

My recommendation is to stay away from this brew. Maybe the other offering from 16 Mile iis good, but pass on this one.

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

While perusing the shelves at Total Wine & More in Claymont, Delaware an employee added a new beer to the shelves. I'd never seen 16 Mile so I thought I had to give it a try, and the bottles were still cold to boot! I grabbed two. Only later did I learn that they were $7.99 a piece :(

It poured a somewhat hazy, dark mahogany-brown body beneath a short but creamy head of off-white. Unfortunately, the head retention was quite limited, although there was some thin lacing.

The aroma displayed a deeply caramelish, biscuity, and almost roasty maltiness with a bit of fruitiness from both yeast and hops.

The flavor followed true to the aroma, and there was just an edge of roastiness to the maltiness, and a good dose of citrusy hops. The flavors worked well together, and it was nicely balanced by a stiff bitterness beneath. It finished dry with some of the roastiness lingering dryly as the citrusy notes evaporated.

Overall it's a pleasant enough, tasty beer. And with its roasted edge and citrusy notes it's slightly different. That combination has obviously been done before, but at least it's got something going on beyond a standaard amber ale. It initially kind of leans towards a kind of porter-amber hybrid while cold (because the roastiness stands out more), and then it's more like a kind of a Scottish ale with a bit of an American hop bent as it warms.

Additionally, the packaging is very attractive. The brushed aluminum bottle is nice. Oddly enough, however, I should note that although I bought my bottles in Delaware, DE is not listed as a state that requires a bottle deposit. There's Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Vermont and Michigan - but no home state of Delaware. Odd.

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

A: Amber, deep orange-red. An intial thick head that later dissipates.

S: Malty sweetness is dominant. Floral hops, although distant, is present.

T: Bitter-sweet. Very slight roastiness. Buttery. Hop bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Very well balanced and quite delicious.

M: Surprisingly full bodied, perhaps even a little creamy.

D: It's refreshing. The sweetness is not overpowering so it is quite drinkable. I only had one so I can't really be sure.

A lovely beer. From what I hear, the brewers are very nice and will let you taste their beer from the fermenter. I wish this nearly two month old microbrewery the best of luck.

2.22/5  rDev -36.4%

I am always for trying out a new microbrewery. This one though did not impress me. For the first beer to come out of the brewery it seemed extremely sterol. The bottle looks way to much like a bud product. The liquid inside the bottle was looking much the same. Crystal clear, true amber color with dark candi sugar in the nose but lacking hop presence. Flavor was quick and a let down, mild maltyness, little hop flavor. Mouthfeel was watery. For $6 a 22oz bottle I can think of a few hundred beers Id rather have. Im a bit sad as its a new brewery right down the road from me, I would love to have some more good beer around.

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

Brought from Delaware by "J." (Thanks!) Comes in a 22 oz aluminum "bottle." Pours into the glass a slightly hazy, deep amber to orange, topped by a nice tan foam head that laces nicely till the end. Biscuity malt with a subtle hint of fruity hops in the nose. Initial taste is all malt with a touch of hops bitterness in the aftertaste. Something special about this stuff. It tastes "rich" but is medium bodied with a soft carbonation and extremely refreshing. As the beer warms, it presents a bit more sweetness and a Scottish ale-like flavor. Very nice. I'd like to try this on tap. A bit pricey in the tall container, but worth trying.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last