Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,757 | Reviews: 1,835

Review from Old notes circa 2005

A: dark brown it is nearly the same color as the bottle it comes in, some lacing but not too much, a little cloudy and brown in color.

S: Its complex blend of sweet raisin/plum like malt and a slight hint of yeast and hops. You get a medium blast of alcohol. a hint of spice, very interesting and complex blend.

T: At first sip you get a warm back of throat feeling of alcohol. The bite of alcohol is very easy to handle. Main taste is the sugary malt blend that has highlights of plum/raisins, I detect some pepper, and some clove like flavors with some sweetness of the yeast blend.

M: medium to thick body, heavy finish, you know your drinking a strong brown ale, as it should be.

D: I almost always drink these as a flight, but I also when In Belgium to buy these buy the case for about a buck a pop, so I drank 3 or 4 in a row many times.

Rochefort and Orval are the 2 beers I buy for myself every time we land in Benelux area.

perfectly mature beer for "the lad".

This brew has a light brown tint and fruity smell to it. The alcohol is most definitely there. Not like the Rochefort 10 though. I do believe this brew is easier to drink and has a larger appeal to the taste buds than the rochefort 10. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING about this beer lets us know there is a place in the world that makes perfection. This beer comes from there. Enjoy with friends and only friends who like to share.

Poured from bottle to Rochefort glassware.

Extremely small head. Very nice appearance and resembles the 6 degree and other Trappist brewery brews I've had. Was exceptional as far as taste, smell, and mouthfeel. This was an all around awesome brew. I got a nice taste of cola and molasses, but it was too overwhelming. As with all these Rochefort's I've had they are well-balanced. Extreme drinkability and even with the 8% plus ABV it didn't taste like it and I love that.

The beer fills up my goblet 2/3 with beer, 1/3 with a very light, sticky, soapy head. The beer is a deep cola brown with reddish highlights around the edges of the glass. Small chunks of yeast settle to the bottom. It is just dark enough were I can't see the carbonation well, but there is a slight stream rising through the center of the bottom of the glass. The aroma is strong with dark fruit, apples, and oranges. Very smooth and familiar yeast aroma to me because it resembles the smell of Unibroue yeast which I believe is a hybrid/bastardized version of this strain. I smell a touch of alcohol towards the end after a few long inhalations of the aroma. The head has now settled to a thicker, but still not really dense 1/4 inch cap. Lacing is already present and I haven't drunk any yet. Now, to taste. The flavor is awesome. Mellow, complex, smooth. The thing I like best about these higher end Belgian Trappist ales is that they don't have to have an overwhelming blast of flavor. Some Abbey beers these days tend to have a really saturated flavor that is a little extreme and shocking. Just like some IPA's that cover their subtle mistakes with bitterness, I think some poorly crafted Belgian styles cover up corner-cutting with a sticky sweet overtone. The best abbey ales I've had all have a very mild flavor making them seem more delicate and sophisticated.
I can taste a very bready base with caramelized sugar evenly mixed throughout. As the malt profile begins to subside after the initial sip, there are tart and spicy flavors that rise up. I can taste a good dose of hops that are neither overwhelming or underdone amongst the other flavors. Alcohol is slightly present in the aftertaste, and it is warming to the face and stomach. Much like a hearty, dry red wine. This beer must be fermented at a low temp and then allowed to rise to a relatively high temp through the end of the primary, because it provides a huge spectrum of flavor that begins with round and sweet alcohol and ends in tongue-numbing esters. As I continue drinking this one, I don't get sick of the flavor at all. Everything about this beer is so well done I think it is going to earn the first 5 against my scrutinizing beer standards.

Abbey St. Remy, you have won.

Tasted from 33cl bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Best by 19/08/08. Thank you Shelton Bros. for importing this slice of divinity.

I do beleive the heavenly host did burst out in song as I poured this beer into the glass. A think pillowy tan head rose up and never left, constantly coating the slightly hazy burgundian depths. Aromas that boggled my mind rose from the glass. Bready/Biscuity with notes of yeast over a subtler malt/date/plum foundation. Flavors are lightly sweet initially then dry throughout. Caramel/toffeeish malt, milk chocolate, clove, tobacco, brown sugar, rye bread. Incredibly creamy, with an ultrafine yet very persistant carbonation. Smoooth as all get out. If not for the sheer complexity of this beer, the 9.2% would seemingly be no barrier to drinking these all day.

Bravo!

Oh wow yes. Velvety sweet and so smooth and rich. What to say? Perfection. "The aroma has elusive notes of fresh fruit, spice, leather, and figs." You know -- they say stuff like this but I feel like these don't always come out strongly. I'll have to try again and specifically look for those flavors.

#MensJournal100Best2014

Had this at Monk Beer Abbey in Royal Oak. Worth the $15 bottle...definitely lived up to its rep.

I think the last guy got a soapy glass, I dont know how someone could be so far off!! One of the best Belgian darks. I can't wait to try the 10! So far only like the Chimay Blue just slightly better.

Complex sweet flavor, just what a Belgian Dark should be.

Without adoubt, the best beer I've had n 2010! The smell reminds me fine French Champagne, doughy änd soft. The taste is simply magnificent, toasty, malty, it simply hits all the right chords. Mouthfeel is very smooth but not dull or flat . I would drink it every day if I could afford its steep price.

What a great day it is to have a Rochefort.

Body is an opaque plum, or dark brown/purple, with a foamy off-white head. So dark and delicious looking, with a great ring of lacing settling afer the turbulent pour.

Spicy, slightly clove nose with sweet toffee and caramel in the malts. Alcohol is present, but is balanced by the malts into a 'brandy/liquer type of taste found in some high class deserts. Dark sour cherry in the yeast and hop balance.

More alcool than in the nose, but nothing too distracting. Musky, mix of dark and medium malts, though both sweet. taste is more floral than fruity as previously anticipated, like a lilac/rose petal blend. Subtle milk/bitter chcolate is quite pleasant. The choco-balance is very nice. Some fruit characteristic; spicy fruit sweetness can also be found. A little musty, though, which kinda hurts drinkability, but an experienced beer advocate can quickly find his/her way around and/or through it.

Mouhfeel is bubbly, delicate, smooth, crisp, tingly and good.

Really good. I truly feel that this is a next to perfect example ofthe style. I hope people send me beer mails of protest, but this brew is delicious. The aroma is warm and inviting, the dark, silky body alluring. The taste is complex and comes at you in levels as it warms. In truth the entire beer just gets better as the temperature rises. My only concern is that I have yet to try the Rochefort 10. What if I like it even better? Do I change this review to reflect my new opinion? Do I petition the site for the first ever 5.5? Whatever happens know that Rochefort is King of the Belgium Strong Dark Trappists.

11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass
A- dark brown in color with a light tan foam that appears darker as is touches the beer, has a 4 figure had and not all of the bottle went into a pint glass

S- like a grape or berry wine smell, with a sweetness to it

M & T- has a thick feeling in the mouth with foam that seems to have a great flavor that
gives a warming feeling in the aftertaste that also has a slight roast coffee like tatse that is very interesting

O- If everyone drank one of these as there first beers we would all be drunks. I cannot see any beer beating this one, but I thought that about the Trappist Rochefort 10 I had last night

Probably the best brew I've had. Pours a dark reddish color with a really big head which dissappears quickly. Lots of lacing afterwards. Scents of malts, hops, and fruits. 8 has an awesome taste the alcohol content is hidden very well. Mouthfeel is a medium body with a great after taste. This trappist brew is very drinkable. I will buy more of the 8 and get some 10's as well.

This and the 10 are the best beers I've ever had. 5 all-around for this one. Gorgeous looking beer with a creamy head with exceptional retention. Smells fruity and sweet, but not too sweet. The taste is like heaven in a bottle. Tastes like silk. The malty and velvety feel and accompanied by some slight coffee undertones with the alcohol reminding us how great the beer is. The blend is unbelievable. Well, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. Everyone needs to try it!

Liquid perfection.
Redolent of Guinness, but more casual, yet much stronger, and thought provoking. Look no further. Belgium reigns supreme. 8 is superior to the 10, imo.

Coffee, some sort of fruit, and drinkability that totally belies its 9.2 % abv. Mellow, only very slightly bitter.

Poured very gently into a tulip glass. Trappist of this caliber are the best of the best IMHO.

A: it is nearly the same color as the bottle it comes in, some lacing but not too much, a little cloudy and brown in color.

S: complex blend of sweet raisin/plum like malt and a slight hint of yeast and hops. You get a medium blast of alcohol. a hint of spice, very interesting and complex blend.

T: first sip you get a warm back of throat feeling of alcohol. The bite of alcohol is very easy to handle. Main taste is the sugary malt blend that has highlights of plum/raisins, I detect some pepper, and some clove like flavors with some sweetness of the yeast blend.

D: first two are easy as cake to drink, after that well your most likely a tad drunk, but other than having to pay for these i think its as good as it gets.

This and westy is the best in the world for me. and this 1 I can buy in the states, I cleaned out a few places for this, so merry xmas to me.

11.2 oz. bottle poured into an oversize wine glass.

Appearance: Pours an elegant ruby-brown color, with a very thick and creamy/foamy light tan head (which eventually becomes a thick film that stays for eons).

Smell: The aroma is very complex and it is difficult to describe the overall sense it gives. Very rich and warm, replete with spices, banana, and dried fruits. Alcohol is definitely present, but it is married with the spices (such as brown sugar and other less-apparent ones, including cloves) and the other flavors remarkably well.

Taste: The beer has a strong, warm, dark bready flavor, with diversified malts, an abundance of spices (yet not overdone), and a variety of fruits, including pears and the aforementioned dried fruits. A mild alcohol taste is affixed to these other flavors, but never becomes an independent entity. Finishes with a slight tartness, seguing into a warm and spicy aftertaste. A beautifully complex flavor, while not being over-done at all.

Mouthfeel: Has a luscious thickness to it. With a rich creamy and silky smooth feel it is quite impressive.

Drinkability: A joy to drink, so no problems here! Sure, it's strong, so don't drink too much... but the alcohol taste that is often obvious in strong beers never sticks out here. Instead it remains as an integral part of the overall taste.

This is, quite frankly, my favorite beer. Drinking it is almost a religious experience. Quite difficult to find near where I live now, but I managed to get a few for New Years. Never fails to disappoint; in fact I become more fond of it over time. Complex and amazing on all fronts, this is a beer that people should at least try once.

Wow these Trappist monks know what they are doing.

Appearance:Dark, can't see through it. One finger head dissipate quickly qhich is expected for a 9.2 abv beer.

Smell: Superb nice and malty.

Mouthfeel: I get a champagne like taste which is typical with a good Trappist ale. Very nice.

Taste: I can't find anything to complain about. Excellent all around.

Overall: Go buy this beer if you have not tried it. If you have tried it I doubt you need to be told to buy it.

To me this is the benchmark for all beers. Nothing else compares to this beer. Tastes of banana bread, and molasses. This beer to me is like candy in a bottle. Just the right amount of taste, and flavor that just rolls on my tongue. This definitely is in a class all by itself. A man among boys!

I discovered this beer by accident about 2 years ago and haven't regretted it.

Pours a reddish brown with about half to 3/4 inch of creamy white head. poured into a Rochefort chalice(got it for christmas last year!)
Taste is of malty sweetness with cherries, raisins, and figs. a hint of spice. letting this beer warm and open up makes a word of difference to it's flavour profile(drank mine between4-6 C)
the carbonation is a nice mouth feel.
overall one of my favourite beers, I always have 2 bottles cellared for special occasions.

Rochefort 8 poured very heavy and there was much yeast and sediment in the bottom of the glass after it settled. This did not deter me. One of the best smelling beers I've had thus far. The taste was phenomenal and reminded me of what beer was meant to taste like, very yeasty and hearty. I should also mention that the buzz this stuff gives you is great. It leaves you feeling goddly. Thank you Trappist Monks!

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

-full body,high carbonation
O:
My fave Rochefort

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

33cl bottle sitting outside, clear skies, little bit cool, dark, time to relax.

Appearance: Brown with Red Hues. Large head didn’t hang around too long.

Nose: Brown sugar and toasted malts

Taste: Bursting with flavor. Dark fruits and whatever grains you care to mention,
but beyond all that a subtle sugary aftertaste.
Then a tiny little sourness. Just to keep you on your toes!

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation yet with a creamy aftertaste. Some warming afterwards, though not significant for a 9.2% beer.

Overall: Truthfully, to review this beer is the reason I joined beeradvocate.
This is just the nicest beer I’ve ever tasted.
Perhaps not the best, you can debate that, but it’s my favorite of all time. Yet.

For info: My Belgian buddies (who prefer the Rochefort 10), say to check the date on the Rochefort bottle ... it always shows a date 5 years after it was created. The closer you are to that end date the better, they reckon. Mine still shows almost 5 years from now, beer was still superb.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

My awesome girlfriend picked up a 33 cL bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 for me at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA over Thanksgiving, but I only got to it a week ago–a little age on this baby is obviously just fine. It was enjoyed in my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance (4.5/5): Rochefort 8 is dark brown and topped by a one inch, creamy, light tan head of foam that retains well and reduces to an everlasting ring of foam. The beer is translucent and you may see some yeast particles hanging in suspension. A beautiful traditional dark Belgian ale.

Smell (5/5): Booze-soaked raisins, dark stone fruit, and beautiful dark bready notes are prominent in the nose. Some Belgian yeast funk and spice. Malty but understated and subtle. Some clean alcohol is also apparent, though its presence is wholly appropriate for a beer of 9.2% ABV. Simply outstanding.

Taste (5/5): Malt sweetness–dominated by dark fruit and bready notes from the yeast–and a light, warming alcohol flex in the foretaste. The finish is long and pleasant, lightly bitter and drying, and less fruity and yeasty. Rochefort 8 is very subtle and does not have the intensity that most beers of 9.2% ABV do. The flavors become deeper as the beer warms up. Impressive. Sublime!

Mouthfeel (5/5): Silky smooth all the way into the dry finish. Medium body and medium carbonation–Rochefort 8 has a slightly higher carbonation level than most Abbey-style ales of this strength, so there's a little tingle on the tongue as it goes down. Not super thick or decadent, just classy, clean, and refined. Goes down way too easily!

Overall (5/5): Rochefort 8 is a genuine classic Belgian ale and perhaps the finest of the Trappist ales I have had the pleasure of consuming. Its reputation is certainly well deserved. A lovely, understated, and refined dark ale with the perfect mix of fruit and bready flavors, it is pleasant and easy to drink despite its considerable strength.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a Rochefort chalice

Appearance- Very deep reddish brown. Much clearer than Rochefort 10 as I remember. a 1/8 in layer of head remains through the whole drinking experience.

Smell- Huge amount of dark fruits: plum dates raisins. A slight tartness is perceptible, similar to some lambics I have tried. Nutty yeast esters linger in the background.

Taste- Lots of layers. Starts out bready, specifically a sourdough bread. A slight note of spice, specifically coriander, separates this from the fruity flavors to follow. Both tart and sweet, ripe, fruits are present: dates raisins cherries. In the background there is the nutty yeast character noted in the smell. the longer the beer remains on the palate the sweeter it becomes, it tastes like the fruits are ripening in your mouth. As the sweetness builds, though, so does a balancing hop bitterness, a note which is missing in many ales of this style. The finish is dry and warming, the sweet fruits and bitterness linger.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full body with a ton of carbonation. The beer foams to cover the palate and distribute the flavor wonderfully.

This is one of my favorite beers. At times I like it better than Rochefort 10. A Great example of what a great beer should be.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort