2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,707 | Reviews: 1,729 | Show All Ratings:
Hefe

Maryland

Tasted from 33cl bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Best by 19/08/08. Thank you Shelton Bros. for importing this slice of divinity.

I do beleive the heavenly host did burst out in song as I poured this beer into the glass. A think pillowy tan head rose up and never left, constantly coating the slightly hazy burgundian depths. Aromas that boggled my mind rose from the glass. Bready/Biscuity with notes of yeast over a subtler malt/date/plum foundation. Flavors are lightly sweet initially then dry throughout. Caramel/toffeeish malt, milk chocolate, clove, tobacco, brown sugar, rye bread. Incredibly creamy, with an ultrafine yet very persistant carbonation. Smoooth as all get out. If not for the sheer complexity of this beer, the 9.2% would seemingly be no barrier to drinking these all day.

Bravo!

03-10-2005 02:47:14 | More by Hefe
Wasatch

Utah

Probably the best brew I've had. Pours a dark reddish color with a really big head which dissappears quickly. Lots of lacing afterwards. Scents of malts, hops, and fruits. 8 has an awesome taste the alcohol content is hidden very well. Mouthfeel is a medium body with a great after taste. This trappist brew is very drinkable. I will buy more of the 8 and get some 10's as well.

09-14-2005 00:33:22 | More by Wasatch
mithrascruor

11.2 oz. bottle poured into an oversize wine glass.

Appearance: Pours an elegant ruby-brown color, with a very thick and creamy/foamy light tan head (which eventually becomes a thick film that stays for eons).

Smell: The aroma is very complex and it is difficult to describe the overall sense it gives. Very rich and warm, replete with spices, banana, and dried fruits. Alcohol is definitely present, but it is married with the spices (such as brown sugar and other less-apparent ones, including cloves) and the other flavors remarkably well.

Taste: The beer has a strong, warm, dark bready flavor, with diversified malts, an abundance of spices (yet not overdone), and a variety of fruits, including pears and the aforementioned dried fruits. A mild alcohol taste is affixed to these other flavors, but never becomes an independent entity. Finishes with a slight tartness, seguing into a warm and spicy aftertaste. A beautifully complex flavor, while not being over-done at all.

Mouthfeel: Has a luscious thickness to it. With a rich creamy and silky smooth feel it is quite impressive.

Drinkability: A joy to drink, so no problems here! Sure, it's strong, so don't drink too much... but the alcohol taste that is often obvious in strong beers never sticks out here. Instead it remains as an integral part of the overall taste.

This is, quite frankly, my favorite beer. Drinking it is almost a religious experience. Quite difficult to find near where I live now, but I managed to get a few for New Years. Never fails to disappoint; in fact I become more fond of it over time. Complex and amazing on all fronts, this is a beer that people should at least try once.

01-01-2007 20:19:03 | More by mithrascruor
tapman

What a great day it is to have a Rochefort.

Body is an opaque plum, or dark brown/purple, with a foamy off-white head. So dark and delicious looking, with a great ring of lacing settling afer the turbulent pour.

Spicy, slightly clove nose with sweet toffee and caramel in the malts. Alcohol is present, but is balanced by the malts into a 'brandy/liquer type of taste found in some high class deserts. Dark sour cherry in the yeast and hop balance.

More alcool than in the nose, but nothing too distracting. Musky, mix of dark and medium malts, though both sweet. taste is more floral than fruity as previously anticipated, like a lilac/rose petal blend. Subtle milk/bitter chcolate is quite pleasant. The choco-balance is very nice. Some fruit characteristic; spicy fruit sweetness can also be found. A little musty, though, which kinda hurts drinkability, but an experienced beer advocate can quickly find his/her way around and/or through it.

Mouhfeel is bubbly, delicate, smooth, crisp, tingly and good.

Really good. I truly feel that this is a next to perfect example ofthe style. I hope people send me beer mails of protest, but this brew is delicious. The aroma is warm and inviting, the dark, silky body alluring. The taste is complex and comes at you in levels as it warms. In truth the entire beer just gets better as the temperature rises. My only concern is that I have yet to try the Rochefort 10. What if I like it even better? Do I change this review to reflect my new opinion? Do I petition the site for the first ever 5.5? Whatever happens know that Rochefort is King of the Belgium Strong Dark Trappists.

11-03-2007 07:11:17 | More by tapman
Rudgers73

The beer fills up my goblet 2/3 with beer, 1/3 with a very light, sticky, soapy head. The beer is a deep cola brown with reddish highlights around the edges of the glass. Small chunks of yeast settle to the bottom. It is just dark enough were I can't see the carbonation well, but there is a slight stream rising through the center of the bottom of the glass. The aroma is strong with dark fruit, apples, and oranges. Very smooth and familiar yeast aroma to me because it resembles the smell of Unibroue yeast which I believe is a hybrid/bastardized version of this strain. I smell a touch of alcohol towards the end after a few long inhalations of the aroma. The head has now settled to a thicker, but still not really dense 1/4 inch cap. Lacing is already present and I haven't drunk any yet. Now, to taste. The flavor is awesome. Mellow, complex, smooth. The thing I like best about these higher end Belgian Trappist ales is that they don't have to have an overwhelming blast of flavor. Some Abbey beers these days tend to have a really saturated flavor that is a little extreme and shocking. Just like some IPA's that cover their subtle mistakes with bitterness, I think some poorly crafted Belgian styles cover up corner-cutting with a sticky sweet overtone. The best abbey ales I've had all have a very mild flavor making them seem more delicate and sophisticated.
I can taste a very bready base with caramelized sugar evenly mixed throughout. As the malt profile begins to subside after the initial sip, there are tart and spicy flavors that rise up. I can taste a good dose of hops that are neither overwhelming or underdone amongst the other flavors. Alcohol is slightly present in the aftertaste, and it is warming to the face and stomach. Much like a hearty, dry red wine. This beer must be fermented at a low temp and then allowed to rise to a relatively high temp through the end of the primary, because it provides a huge spectrum of flavor that begins with round and sweet alcohol and ends in tongue-numbing esters. As I continue drinking this one, I don't get sick of the flavor at all. Everything about this beer is so well done I think it is going to earn the first 5 against my scrutinizing beer standards.

Abbey St. Remy, you have won.

01-17-2008 01:57:51 | More by Rudgers73
prsguitarsr4me

This and the 10 are the best beers I've ever had. 5 all-around for this one. Gorgeous looking beer with a creamy head with exceptional retention. Smells fruity and sweet, but not too sweet. The taste is like heaven in a bottle. Tastes like silk. The malty and velvety feel and accompanied by some slight coffee undertones with the alcohol reminding us how great the beer is. The blend is unbelievable. Well, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. Everyone needs to try it!

10-18-2008 20:37:52 | More by prsguitarsr4me
greg202stewart

Rhode Island

Rochefort 8 poured very heavy and there was much yeast and sediment in the bottom of the glass after it settled. This did not deter me. One of the best smelling beers I've had thus far. The taste was phenomenal and reminded me of what beer was meant to taste like, very yeasty and hearty. I should also mention that the buzz this stuff gives you is great. It leaves you feeling goddly. Thank you Trappist Monks!

04-07-2009 17:36:49 | More by greg202stewart
cdrogers

Poured from bottle to Rochefort glassware.

Extremely small head. Very nice appearance and resembles the 6 degree and other Trappist brewery brews I've had. Was exceptional as far as taste, smell, and mouthfeel. This was an all around awesome brew. I got a nice taste of cola and molasses, but it was too overwhelming. As with all these Rochefort's I've had they are well-balanced. Extreme drinkability and even with the 8% plus ABV it didn't taste like it and I love that.

10-31-2009 04:00:34 | More by cdrogers
boldcity2008

Poured very gently into a tulip glass. Trappist of this caliber are the best of the best IMHO.

A: it is nearly the same color as the bottle it comes in, some lacing but not too much, a little cloudy and brown in color.

S: complex blend of sweet raisin/plum like malt and a slight hint of yeast and hops. You get a medium blast of alcohol. a hint of spice, very interesting and complex blend.

T: first sip you get a warm back of throat feeling of alcohol. The bite of alcohol is very easy to handle. Main taste is the sugary malt blend that has highlights of plum/raisins, I detect some pepper, and some clove like flavors with some sweetness of the yeast blend.

M: medium to thick body, heavy finish, you know your drinking a strong brown ale, as it should be.

D: first two are easy as cake to drink, after that well your most likely a tad drunk, but other than having to pay for these i think its as good as it gets.

This and westy is the best in the world for me. and this 1 I can buy in the states, I cleaned out a few places for this, so merry xmas to me.

12-13-2009 21:54:47 | More by boldcity2008
azorie

Review from Old notes circa 2005

A: dark brown it is nearly the same color as the bottle it comes in, some lacing but not too much, a little cloudy and brown in color.

S: Its complex blend of sweet raisin/plum like malt and a slight hint of yeast and hops. You get a medium blast of alcohol. a hint of spice, very interesting and complex blend.

T: At first sip you get a warm back of throat feeling of alcohol. The bite of alcohol is very easy to handle. Main taste is the sugary malt blend that has highlights of plum/raisins, I detect some pepper, and some clove like flavors with some sweetness of the yeast blend.

D: I almost always drink these as a flight, but I also when In Belgium to buy these buy the case for about a buck a pop, so I drank 3 or 4 in a row many times.

Rochefort and Orval are the 2 beers I buy for myself everytime we land in Benelux area.

12-20-2009 16:01:45 | More by azorie
Machinehead

I think the last guy got a soapy glass, I dont know how someone could be so far off!! One of the best Belgian darks. I can't wait to try the 10! So far only like the Chimay Blue just slightly better.

Complex sweet flavor, just what a Belgian Dark should be.

06-23-2010 04:59:59 | More by Machinehead
Fernans

Rhode Island

Without adoubt, the best beer I've had n 2010! The smell reminds me fine French Champagne, doughy änd soft. The taste is simply magnificent, toasty, malty, it simply hits all the right chords. Mouthfeel is very smooth but not dull or flat . I would drink it every day if I could afford its steep price.

12-29-2010 14:22:07 | More by Fernans
STKPICR0720

Alabama

This brew has a light brown tint and fruity smell to it. The alcohol is most definitely there. Not like the Rochefort 10 though. I do believe this brew is easier to drink and has a larger appeal to the taste buds than the rochefort 10. EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING about this beer lets us know there is a place in the world that makes perfection. This beer comes from there. Enjoy with friends and only friends who like to share.

05-05-2011 05:27:01 | More by STKPICR0720
bigflatsbeerman

Wow these Trappist monks know what they are doing.

Appearance:Dark, can't see through it. One finger head dissipate quickly qhich is expected for a 9.2 abv beer.

Smell: Superb nice and malty.

Mouthfeel: I get a champagne like taste which is typical with a good Trappist ale. Very nice.

Taste: I can't find anything to complain about. Excellent all around.

Overall: Go buy this beer if you have not tried it. If you have tried it I doubt you need to be told to buy it.

09-29-2012 01:43:34 | More by bigflatsbeerman
KellyScottMad

Wisconsin

To me this is the benchmark for all beers. Nothing else compares to this beer. Tastes of banana bread, and molasses. This beer to me is like candy in a bottle. Just the right amount of taste, and flavor that just rolls on my tongue. This definitely is in a class all by itself. A man among boys!

09-02-2013 01:47:32 | More by KellyScottMad
Slamms

Liquid perfection.
Redolent of Guinness, but more casual, yet much stronger, and thought provoking. Look no further. Belgium reigns supreme. 8 is superior to the 10, imo.

Coffee, some sort of fruit, and drinkability that totally belies its 9.2 % abv. Mellow, only very slightly bitter.

09-29-2013 03:57:22 | More by Slamms
a0lbudman

Alabama

11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass
A- dark brown in color with a light tan foam that appears darker as is touches the beer, has a 4 figure had and not all of the bottle went into a pint glass

S- like a grape or berry wine smell, with a sweetness to it

M & T- has a thick feeling in the mouth with foam that seems to have a great flavor that
gives a warming feeling in the aftertaste that also has a slight roast coffee like tatse that is very interesting

O- If everyone drank one of these as there first beers we would all be drunks. I cannot see any beer beating this one, but I thought that about the Trappist Rochefort 10 I had last night

10-01-2013 22:51:30 | More by a0lbudman
Macko

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

33cl bottle sitting outside, clear skies, little bit cool, dark, time to relax.

Appearance: Brown with Red Hues. Large head didn’t hang around too long.

Nose: Brown sugar and toasted malts

Taste: Bursting with flavor. Dark fruits and whatever grains you care to mention,
but beyond all that a subtle sugary aftertaste.
Then a tiny little sourness. Just to keep you on your toes!

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation yet with a creamy aftertaste. Some warming afterwards, though not significant for a 9.2% beer.

Overall: Truthfully, to review this beer is the reason I joined beeradvocate.
This is just the nicest beer I’ve ever tasted.
Perhaps not the best, you can debate that, but it’s my favorite of all time. Yet.

For info: My Belgian buddies (who prefer the Rochefort 10), say to check the date on the Rochefort bottle ... it always shows a date 5 years after it was created. The closer you are to that end date the better, they reckon. Mine still shows almost 5 years from now, beer was still superb.

04-20-2014 21:08:08 | More by Macko
acevenom

Louisiana

4.98/5  rDev +15%

Bottle dated 090216. Poured into a chalice. Pours dark brown with some sediment and a frothy off-white head that dissipates quickly. The head dissipates, leaving a small amount of lacing around the edge. Smells of brown sugar, fig, banana, plum, and roasted malts hit the nose. There are flavors of brown sugar, fruit, yeast, hops, and some alcohol, but it's faintly detectable. The mouthfeel is creamy and full and the finish is dry. The carbonation is abundant, but it serves to help enhance the flavors and drinkability of this beer. Overall, this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

03-15-2012 01:25:14 | More by acevenom
hagbergl

Maryland

4.98/5  rDev +15%

My awesome girlfriend picked up a 33 cL bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 for me at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA over Thanksgiving, but I only got to it a week ago–a little age on this baby is obviously just fine. It was enjoyed in my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance (4.5/5): Rochefort 8 is dark brown and topped by a one inch, creamy, light tan head of foam that retains well and reduces to an everlasting ring of foam. The beer is translucent and you may see some yeast particles hanging in suspension. A beautiful traditional dark Belgian ale.

Smell (5/5): Booze-soaked raisins, dark stone fruit, and beautiful dark bready notes are prominent in the nose. Some Belgian yeast funk and spice. Malty but understated and subtle. Some clean alcohol is also apparent, though its presence is wholly appropriate for a beer of 9.2% ABV. Simply outstanding.

Taste (5/5): Malt sweetness–dominated by dark fruit and bready notes from the yeast–and a light, warming alcohol flex in the foretaste. The finish is long and pleasant, lightly bitter and drying, and less fruity and yeasty. Rochefort 8 is very subtle and does not have the intensity that most beers of 9.2% ABV do. The flavors become deeper as the beer warms up. Impressive. Sublime!

Mouthfeel (5/5): Silky smooth all the way into the dry finish. Medium body and medium carbonation–Rochefort 8 has a slightly higher carbonation level than most Abbey-style ales of this strength, so there's a little tingle on the tongue as it goes down. Not super thick or decadent, just classy, clean, and refined. Goes down way too easily!

Overall (5/5): Rochefort 8 is a genuine classic Belgian ale and perhaps the finest of the Trappist ales I have had the pleasure of consuming. Its reputation is certainly well deserved. A lovely, understated, and refined dark ale with the perfect mix of fruit and bready flavors, it is pleasant and easy to drink despite its considerable strength.

12-26-2012 21:16:32 | More by hagbergl
HardTarget

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

33cl brown bottle, green cap, with 9.2% abv. Listed and a 29 04 08 date listed, serving temp suggestion on back label (54-58). Authentic Trappist symbol lets you know that it means business. I’m starting a bit cold, but plan to savor it for a good long while from my Chimay chalice.
Aroma: Same bubble gum, chocolate and melon aroma I got from the Rochefort 10, simply intoxicating. It’s just such a “fresh” and “new” smell with lots of honeydew melon. It makes me want to down the whole chalice in one quaff. As I work my way down, the head slowly fades to a thick cover, but only because it leaves heavy lace that sparkles like ice crystals.
Appearance: Black glass with only a hint of murky brown at the very bottom. A half finger of light brown tightly compacted froth waits patiently for me to imbibe.
Flavor: A wonderfully complex taste. The honeydew melon and bubble gum are blended with an earthy tobacco that just expresses Michelangelo’s Creation of Adam, the blending of heavenly and earthbound so perfectly. Balance between hops and malt? Balance between mortal and divine! The fruitiness is so pronounced, it seems as if they have blended in honeydew melon nectar which I can see others comparing to pears. The 8 seems a bit more straightforward than the 10, a bit lighter, but cut from the same cloth. Not as much chocolate in the 8, but hints of it.
Mouthfeel: A perfect medium body with such a creamy consistency. The carbonation is present, but only as a mild tickle, a subtle reminder that this is indeed beer. Nice dry finish encourages the next sip.
Overall Impression: I have to admit, since the Rochefort 10 is my only straight 5 beer (so far) I built up to this tasting for a week. I’ve cut back to two meals a day (something I’ve needed to do after the holidays anyway) and consumed only Belgian (or Belgian style) beers. I have to acknowledge a deep gratitude to Stonecrusher who sent this (and the Rochefort 10) godsend to my doorstep. While this beer didn’t make me cry like the 10 did, it is truly a world class beer. Even my wife, who only likes Lindemans Framboise and Corona, could see the exceptional quality of this beer. Simply outstanding, I just can’t recommend Rochefort beers strongly enough. Seek, buy, enjoy. I know I will.

02-26-2005 05:37:26 | More by HardTarget
EStreet20

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

12 ounce brown glass bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - I like this look in a beer. Very deep reddish color approaching brown with a fluffy two finger head that's barely off white. No light gets through this beer whatsoever. Lacing sticks to the glass like crazy.

S - Smell delivers a lot of alcohol with a fruity aroma in there. Can;t put a finger on the fruits coming at me. A nice blend of aromas though. Great smell overall.

T - Very malty, bready taste. A nice little alcohol kick that blends perfectly from start to finish. Some fruity flavor in there, less than I expected from the smell but a great blend with the dark bread taste. A bit of spiciness in there balances everything out perfectly.

M - A very nice amount of carbonation for a strong dark ale and a smooth feel all around, excellent.

D - Goes down amazingly smooth and easy. The only thing preventing a five here is the 9.2 percent. Very drinkable

Notes: Excellent. I may have a new favorite here. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever tried. I recommend it to any fan of Belgians or fans of any dark beer in general. Enjoy!!

10-19-2005 01:06:40 | More by EStreet20
dalion037

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

This is really an exceptional beer. From the first sip to the last it is very enjoyable. Great hops and a nice after taste. It leaves you craving another and another. The biggest problem was running out before I got my fill. Buy it! Drink it! If you can find it.

11-14-2005 01:04:37 | More by dalion037
JonMich13

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

A = Deep, dark and cloudy. Obviously unfiltered. Nice 2 finger creamy head with what looked like cinnamon sprinkled on it.

S = Aroma was an experience in itself. Malty and fruity smells blended perfectly.

T = Oh the wonderful taste. Perfect balance of maltiness and an endless array of fruit notes that reveal themselves.

M = Creamy smoothness that can't get much better. Abundant carbonation.

D = Extremely drinkable. This one is a troublemaker.

03-02-2009 03:13:18 | More by JonMich13
BobZ

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

I've been looking forward to trying the Rochefort Beers for quite awhile. Although described as "widely available" this is not really the case. The distributor only allows one case per outlet in the U.S. per release of the 10 and it's only released about 4 times a year. So if you find a retailer, believe me, it's not going to be in stock long & price varies widely from $6.50 to $8.99 (in my area) per 11.2 oz bottle (again for the 10). Is it worth it? At this point I will review the 8 which I just sampled. And first, to answer the prior question with regard to the 8, Hell yes!

Appearance: It does pour a murky chestnut (into a Chimay Chalice) with a fair amount of fizz that evaporates quickly. Very nice lacing.

Smell: Distinct and very, very, complex providing a fantastic precursor to your first sip.

Taste: Excellent in nearly every way, deep, rich flavor. I'll leave it to you to suggest what notes you taste, for me it was a mix of fruit (cherry, plum) and a hint of chocolate. I find this beer far superior to other Dubbels, yes, much better than Chimay and even better than Westmalle.

Mouth feel: Very smooth with what I believe to be the "right" level of carbonation.

Drinkability : Very, very drinkable, took serious will-power not to immediately open another. Best to drink slowly and savor.

This is an incredible beer, truly one of the best. I purchased 2 bottles of the 10 (all they had left) and I can't wait to try it. I plan to sample the 10 with both the St. Bernardus 12 and Chimay GR to try to determine which I like best. Right now I like the 8 best of all, so my anticipation for the 10 is great.

07-04-2009 03:55:27 | More by BobZ