Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,818 | Hads: 4,797
3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

It's been a looong time since I've had a propper trappist beer so I'm really looking forward for this one. The beer pours a dark brown murky looking liquid with a big head wich slowly fades to a one finger thick lid.

This smells like Belgium to me. Brown sugar, some spices, wet grass and that lovely yeast of theirs.

The sweetness is of brown sugar and dark fruits, plums and figs. It's quite spicy aswell with some herbs. Unfortunatly I am not that good in recognising herbs so I can't name them... It ends with a warm feeling. The sweetness of the dark fruits is very dominant but the beer still has that complex feeling you would expect from a trappist beer.

As I mentioned earlier the feeling is warm (from the alcohol) and very pleasant. Large bubbles in the carbonation.

This beer is quite heavy and hearty. Very enjoyable, but I can't see myself drink more than one this evening. (894 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A : pours a bright and inviting deep orange with a large and loose off white head that dissipates very slowly.

S : aroma like an old beer. muted sugar, neutral yeast, hints of caramel and toffee overshadowed by a skunky type aroma.

t : starts light and bubbly, big caramel flavor with a very sweet but not cloying stickiness on the tongue. toffee, a bit of peanut skin flavor as well. decent bitterness at the end with no true hop flavor. its like what you want a werthers original to taste like.

m : lower side of medium bodied with a pleasing effervescence. lingering hop bitterness but overall very nice.

a very delicious beer. despite the slightly old smell. def worth picking up anytime you want a really well made malty brew. (736 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle stamped with 190814 and 07:48. No idea what it means, but there it is.

Beer pours a nice hazy dark amber/brown with a fluffy white head that rises and settles quickly. A very thin but present layer of whispy foam persists. A gentle swirling brings the head back to life.

This beer has a very pleasant fresh aroma of bee pollen, and dandelion blossoms. Aromas and flavors of honey, graham cracker, toffee, and caramel meld together. Higher fruity alcohols add an eggnog/slight banana/dark rum profile. There is a buttery, volatile acidity (ethyl acetate?) that is too present in the trailing end of aroma. The bitterness is very subdued and a higher finishing gravity supplies quite a sweet experience.

This beer is very complex and quite nice, but a bit too sweet/lacking in bitterness to be my favorite BSDA. Something about the balance is a bit off kilter for me. (876 characters)

A - 4.0
Sediment city. Dark Caramel.

S - 3.5
Smells a tad boozy. Maybe a little figgy.

T - 4.5
Figs, boozy taste like the smell. Dry, much dryer than the Chimay Blue. Saki in the flavor? More fig.

MF - 4.5
Great carbonation mouth play.

D - 3.0
One is good for me. I really don't see myself drinking more in one night. (321 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

A: poured a murky, mud colored brown. off white head. little lacing on the side of the glass.

S: honey, caramel, booze, not really too much in the nose here.

T: really boozey, really really boozey initially, roast malt flavors, slightly skunky hop presence, light roasted coffee flavors. some of the honey flavors follow through.

M: very carbonated, lots of tiny bubbles, carbonation is prickly and sticks on the tongue. definite warming from the alcohol.

D: not one of the best trappist ales i've ever had, somewhat disappointing actually. a little much on the carbonation for me. and the alcohol is not hidden very well either. (636 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

Very dark, opaque brown. Modest off-white head.

Smell is wheat and barley.

Taste is spicy, alcoholic, and there is another taste I recognize from St Bernardus Abt 12 but can't describe. Maybe it's from the yeast. Good taste though.

Mouthfeel pretty creamy and smooth. Carbonation is on the low side, but I believe it's normal for the style.

Drinkability: one bottle will be enough in one sitting. Pretty high abv reduces drinkability, but that's just the style. Good beer, I think I enjoyed it more than Abt 12. (515 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

The beer pours a nice dark brown color with a huge 2 finger latte-colored head that doesn't fall much at all. The nose is more sweet than other beers of this style that I have tried. There are some fig scents in there, but the sweetness of the malt is what prevails. After letting the beer sit, the head has fallen just a bit leaving a thick lace on the side of the glass. The alcohol is not hidden well in the initial sips, and this is not a flavor I like to have shining through in my stronger beers. As I let the beer sit and warm, the alcohol subsides and becomes more what I like. The fig and malt sweetness are there, but not overly powerful. This is not my favorite in the style, but still a good offering. The beer is a little thinner in my mouth than I like, but it's still good. The drinkablilty suffers due to the thinness and lighter flavors of this beer, but it would not be a far stretch to sit down to a few of them in a night. I would drink this beer again, but there are a few other Belgians I would pick first. (1,028 characters)

330mL bottle to tulip.

A: I had to pause at the pour to let the head settle a bit. Resuming the pour slowly still results in a sizable head. The dark ale is just that -- chocolate and caramel tootsie roll hues. The head slowly dissipates from a big beige fluff. Interesting patterns of retention, and a nice bit of lacing.
S: Aromas are, like its big sibling beer -- Rochefort 10 -- complex. There's a lot coming in and out, most of it good. First is a biscuity malt layer, then comes the dark fruitiness and a toasty note that quickly pushes it aside. A little wet cardboard, maybe oxidized a bit? A slightly soured chocolate note. I'm not sure what that is, but it's interesting, too. There's a twang of alcohol to boot.
T: Flavors are just the slightest bit astringent, but subtleties are still recognizable. Hints of barely sweet chocolate, and vinous, though more raisin than wine grapes. Mouthfeel is ok. Seems a tad overcarbonated, but the body is heavy enough to stick around on all parts of the palate. Dark fruitiness makes this beer reminiscent of an after-dinner beverage, like a port or even a brandy. More heat comes out with warmth.
D: There is potential in this beer to be a lot more complex and bold, but I guess that's what 10 is for... (1,255 characters)

Served in a chalice

A: Opaque chocolate brown with a large, quickly forming head. Little visible carbonation.

S: Positively enticing - I could smell this as soon as I opened the bottle. Bittersweet dark chocolate with slight spicy notes - if smell is any indicator, this is going to be good.

T: Initially I get dark chocolate (as hinted by the aroma) and brown sugar, with subsequent notes of cloves and black cherries. At first, the added sugar is well balanced out by the beer's bitterness, but the sweetness becomes more apparent as the glass gradually gets warmer, and consequently harder to enjoy. Alcohol content is hard to taste.

M: Thinner than I was expecting, but not watery. Light carbonation really lets the flavor shine through.

O: This is definitely exceptional - the sweetness is a little overpowering but on the whole I'd say they did a fantastic job. It's both bold and complex, but not too challenging to just relax and enjoy. It reminds me a lot of Westvleteren's 8 - a more than adequate substitute until the next time I go to Belgium! (1,060 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

A- A good brown color with a muddy look to it

S- Sweet with subtle hints of citrus

T- A little underwhelming a little sweet at first and then the taste just trails off

M- very bubbly, the carbonation causes the beer to dance across the tongue

D- Easy to drink, you wouldn't even know that it was 9.2 ABV (307 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

Decided to treat myself tonight for the "holiday." Been waiting on the 8 and 6 for a long time, the 8 goes tonight. 21.04.15 means this is almost a year old (I think).

Opens with probably the loudest burst of air I have ever heard from a 12oz. I immediately imagined bottle bomb but I am lucky tonight.

A- Dark brown body with a massive, foamy light tan head. This thing almost bursts out of my snifter! It falls to about one finger and retains there for a long time. Some suds stick and a few spots of lace.

S- Sweet brown sugar deep caramel malt comes to mind immediately, I feel like it will be extra sweet. Candi sugar? I also get some nice dark fruit, raisins, yeast spices, fresh bread and that signature Rochefort yeast profile. Some vanilla with warmth, making it very nice.

T- Once again I get a lot of sweetness, brown sugar feel. Raisins and fig/dark fruit work their way in along with spice, bread, vanilla and caramel.

MF- Silky feel with smooth carbonation at a moderate level. Certainly some alcohol warmth but it works out nicely.

DB- I like the overall flavor but it is just too sweet in my opinion. I usually never complain about sweetness either, cloying to me. Either way, it is a well made beer with one flaw that drags it down a bit. (1,261 characters)

330 ML poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark brownish cherry color. Somewhat murky at first but cleared up nicely. Nice ruby hues to this. Half finger of light brown head, quickly falling to splotchy film. Aggressive swirling got a better looking head but fell to a ringed collar. no lacing but very visible alcohol legs that were slow moving.

S-- Rum soaked raisins and dark cherries. Touches of earthiness and a bit of wood as well. Once warmed up more the alcohol became obvious. liked the nose a bit colder but a small complaint.

T-- Dark fruits galore. Raisin, dark cherry, stewed plumb and fig. Get notes of cinnamon and other spices with this. Not a lot of alcohol in the taste and a lighter thinner than I expected. Still good though.

M-- Lighter bodied than expected. Just bits of carbonation. A little bit thin on the mid and back palate. Some syrupy dark cherry qualities in the back as well. Not bad but not great.

O-- Well hidden alcohol. Easy to drink for 9%. Good beer even with some syrupy qualities to it. (1,031 characters)

Poured from a bottle aged for 4 months. Date on bottle says 10 05 11
Pours a dark ruby amber/brown color. Little to no head on this pour. Smell is of dried fruits, prunes and figs. Taste is like wine almost, grapes and fruit. Limited carbonation on this one, and it kind of tastes like a sparkling soft drink. Had this one time at a tasting and it was different. Will try another fresh bottle again sometime. (409 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

A- Pour was busy, lots of head formation.

S- Very strong and fruity.

T- Fruit notes, such as pear, and I'm getting a earthy taste the more I drink it with a nice spicy alcohol aftertaste. I don't know if my tongue is just asleep or what, but I find the beer not quite as exciting as I would have thought. I was expecting something a little more fruity in flavor.

M- Very bubbly in your mouth.

D- It is for sure a Belgian style brew. (439 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -8.6%

A - 11.2 very hard pour gave about a 4 finger head thats shows a very light tan color and very fluffy body, deep brown color, not the best retention, recedes to solid foam on top.

A - belgian yeast, sweet dark fruits, toasted malt, maybe a touch of honey, brown sugar, almost a biscotti influence, nutty with subtle alcohol pushing through

T - there is much more of the same, sweet dark fruits, nutty flavors, raisins, yeasty ethanol is very present and quite hot, almost a dark rum flavor with less alcohol presence obviously. subtle prickle

M - medium to full body, good amount of carbonation, slightly slick, not as smooth as i thought but time maybe could change that. filling. you can definitely see how this could be a decent meal replacement with its body and filling characteristics.

O - its a very good beer, i honestly am much more of a fan of belgian pales than darks but this is the best ive had to date of the style. wouldn't mind having a very old vintage of one of these. (991 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip...

Appearance: Huge 3+ finger head that required me to pour from the bottle several times just to get it all out; head is light and fluffy and leaves a thick layer of lacing as it dwindles slowly -- light tan in color; I'd also like to note that are large chunks flowing from the mouth of the bottle, even though it sat for about 20 minutes on my counter to settle, so I guess I'm fairly impressed (and a little worried); there is solid carbonation bubbling near the sides of the glass... There might be more but I can't see any further into the cloudy coffee-brown beverage.

Smell: Not getting a ton from the nose at first - faint whiff of alcohol, some yeast; as it warms it gets a little stronger, but not much -- I can now pick up some sweet fruit and burnt sugary maltiness...

Taste: Not an overpowering flavor either at first - light sweet candied fruits/raisins; warm malts and the burn sugar flavor comes through; as it warms these flavors become more prominent, but again not overly powerful in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated so it's definitely a lively drink -- leaves the roof of the mouth tingly; slight coating of a moderate thickness eventually gives way to a dry finish and leaves the chest warm; a medium body overall.

Drinkability: Moderate to high, but I think I honestly prefer the 10 to the 8 as it was definitely much more flavorful. (1,402 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

Fairly strong ethanol aroma on the glass I had, but very smooth feel with a primarily malt caramel flavor. Not too overwhelming or spicey which you find sometimes with the style but not as complex as I thought it would be, mostly raisin & varying light toasted malt (266 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a a small Belgian tulip, opaque brown and beige head.

Smells of molasses and oak.

A strong toffee mixed well with various spices and hops. Chocolate, cola, caramel, roasted malts and a tang of fruit that hits the back of the tongue. Reminds me of an English style brown.

Leathery, well carbonated. (313 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

I got this as an extra in a trade with DLucky...and it is definitely an awesome extra...really excited for this one. Aged 11.2 oz bottle poured into my Chimay chalice (both brewed by monks...right?). Best by June (or maybe March) 09. Rochefort has limited availability in PA and is very expensive.

A- This is a beautiful beer. Pours perfectly into my chimay chalice with a 1/2 finger head with perfect retention. Traces of lacing are left all the way down the glass.

S- The nose is very pungent and at first loaded with a nauseating grain alcohol odor with a big barleywine-like maltiness (I'm not a fan of most barleywines). It was hard to put up to my nose at first...but upon further inspection the nose is quite complex. Strong phenols are definitely upfront and what I noticed initially. Fermented grapes/raisins, a sweet bready yeast, funk, and a soft spiciness come through almost as equal upon further inspection.

T- Fermented grapes raisins and/or plums upfront with a soft spicy yeast backbone. The gingerbread spiciness comes through a little more for the finish along with a slight alcohol warmth. A slight soft spiciness lingers on the back of the palate.

M-The mouthfeel is perfect. Low carbonation and medium to lightweight body loaded with yeast. Extraordinarily smooth.

D- This is an awesome beer that took me a few sips to warm up to. At first I didn't know what to think about this beer but it very quickly grew on me. It is a nice, well put together Belgian that is complex and very smooth. I'm sure the aging process has helped a lot with the mouthfeel and maybe has hindered the nose. After some aging it's still a bit boozy and it would be hard to drink more than this bottle. One I will have again (if found at a decent price). (1,758 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured this into mini Chimay chalice.

A: Nice dark brown opque color. Big lasting creamy white head, and really nice lacing.

S: Sweet dark fruits, spice, and alcohol.

T: Dark fruit and spice, but the alcohol is there. Aftertaste is a bit sweet initally, but fades into bitterness.

M: Full Creamy, just the right amount of carbonation. But it is quite dry.

D: I think the high abv, which I tasted, along with the dryness bring down the drinkability.

I like this, but not as much as the Chimay blue, which I had just recently. I will revist this later, maybe a side by side is in order. This was very good, but also expensive. (642 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a fairly cloudy dark brown with foamy cream colored head, fades to a thin layer, spotty lace.

Smell: diacetyl upfront and strong, overshadowing whiffs of dark bread, pear, and date.

Taste: dark bread, ripe black plum with just a touch of acidic cherry, dark brown sugar, a little diacetyl, out of nowhere comes a mild nutty-flavored coffee in the finish along with clove. A mild spicy hopping provides some balance. A little rum in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel: medium bodied but overcarbonated.

Not a fan of the buttery component of the nose and it's too fizzy, but it's pretty tasty. Bottling code seems to indicate best by 4/15 i.e. bottled in 4/10. (658 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance - dark deep raisin colour, almost cook like. unable to see through the beer, can pick up some carbonation, the head is a nice off-white, good volume and some real good lacing.

Smell - very strong smelling beer, i can pick up some prunes/raisins along with a strong spice followed with hints of chocolate. almost a deep red wine smell as well.

Taste - what a taste, like a bitter red wine with chocolate and aged prunes. such an overwhelming taste, bitterness, lasting, so complex and well balanced.

Mouthfeel - extreme taste packed in here, dynamic and filling to the mouth, nothing more you could ask for.

Overall - this is an happy i tried, one id have again but not a session beer. what a great experience. (724 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

My least favourite of the Rochefort beers, much prefer the 6 to all the least my sense and I am sure the minority in this regard. Lot 28 12 10 and has been in my cellar for a long time. Boozy chocolately and a nice example of a dubbel maybe have to revisit a much younger bottle some time but sure going to drink the other half case that is in the cellar. (355 characters)

poured into a tulip

A.

a very dark brown beer with a huge amount of head held up to the light it is a murky caramel color. About 3 fingers worth of root beer float like head.

S.

brown sugar, caramel...some dark fruits and sweet bread....almost has a little caramel apple smell to it. Very good!!

T.

Similar to nose, but MUCH boozier. Didn't really smell the alcohol that much but you can definitely taste it. Has that typical Belgian ale smell. A touch of bitterness in there to finish it off as well.

M.

about medium bodied. A little too much carbonation for my taste. A little dry finish at the end.

D.

A little expensive and boozy so drinkability will go down a bit. It's a good beer, but doubt I'll be rushing to grab me another one. It's pretty accessible but I'd rather go for the 10. Still good none the less but the smell is it's best trait IMO. (864 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

hmm - adding to 1500+ reviews is always a worry.

Pours well, dark brown with a ton of sediment...oops. Head dies too quickly and leaves no lace. Raisins, sherry, and std Belgian aromas on the nose, followed by a similar silky smooth taste. AMlts central, forget any bitterness. Alcohol is quite noticeable and warming.

Mouthfeel is the real highlight, thick, creamy, and warm.

Good example of style - almost great. (417 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort