2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,707 | Reviews: 1,729 | Show All Ratings:
Filosoof

Netherlands

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Today I called Rochefort 6 the Shostakovich of Belgian Beer. That counts in the big line also for this one, but this one has more fruity/flower elements to pull it out of the also mentionable smells of horse blanket and horse faeces.

I'm sorry but I can only conclude: Rochefort is a heavilly overrated label.

Like Rochefort 6 this one draws attention on elements that aren't especially refreshing or exciting.

A: a nice ruby colour with a lasting head;
S: like Rochefort 6 nutmeg, black pepper, horse blanket, horse faeces, mushroom, liquorice, but all more subtile;
T: in line of the smell, but without the flowers; I think this kind of beer is much to musty; it doesn't make me happy, and that's what I expect from beers;
O: better than the Rochefort 6. About this one can also be said: books can be written about it, but does it invite to buy another one? No, thank you.

10-16-2011 18:10:51 | More by Filosoof
benmiliron

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Paid $5.99/bottle. Solid opaque brown. Dark tan head. Molasses and rushes of spice, alcohol and fruit behind oppressing malt. Good beer, very "Trappist" in style and taste - kind of overpowering and strong. I can imagine what 10 must be like. For the price I would not buy this again, but it is a good brew.

08-12-2004 02:54:05 | More by benmiliron
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

I think I missed something on this beer.. don't get me wrong it was really good, but not A+ worthy to me? I kept thinking I could have stirred the yeast up? I was careful though? I'll give it another shot but heres how the first time went..

Poured a deep dirt brown color with a huge tan head that stuck around the whole time. Smelled of sweet malts and yeast, with a hint of hop spices. This was not the case for the taste. No hop flavor, and almost no malt. Hard to describe. Sweet smooth flavors. A very thin, almost airy beer. A sweet leather taste, some raison and spices. Maybe some water down rum in there. The mouthfeel was good, every drink tricked me into thinking it was going to be heavy but it thinned out and laced the mouth nicely. The drinkability was nice, never picked up the alcohol. Just very confused by the taste.
Give it a shot..

10-10-2008 04:46:54 | More by nrpellegrini
dougfir

Oregon

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark brown with a nice one finger head that lingers around the whole time. Fairly high carbonation level evident.

Smell - Smells like sweet and spicy malt. A little christmas-time type spiciness.

Taste - Quite complex and changes significantly with temperature. I'd best describe it as a sweet, fig pudding with some spice and warmth. For some reason, it reminds me of christmas and I will certainly have to remember this beer when that time rolls around again. Would be perfect for drinking on a nice cold day, staring out at the snow. I initially didn't like it all that much compared to other Trappist ales, but by midway through, I'd come to appreciate the flavor (though I still prefer the funk of Orval). Unlike some other reviewers, I definitely note a strong alcohol finish with this beer...it doesn't feel hidden at all. With the first sip, I could easily tell this beer was somewhere up around 9% or 10% abv.

Mouthfeel - Slightly tart and sour at first, but eases into a smooth alcoholic warmth with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a big beer...plenty of flavors and smells working together over the course of drinking a bottle. It certainly goes down smooth, but I can see after one or two, the complexity and intricacy of the drink would be lost. Definitely not any kind of session beer.

Overall I wasn't too impressed and probably won't buy this one again.

06-13-2009 22:22:03 | More by dougfir
dpnelson1978

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

330ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

$5.99 / ea.

55°F

S: Sweet red fruit and raisins, typical of the style, and just a hint of booze. Much softer scent than Rochefort 10 and possibly some malt tones in the background.

A: Huge loose tan head. Great retention that leaves a smattering of lace and a thing cover over an opaque brown body.

T: Some ester sweetness, but much maltier than Rochefort 10. Booze is masked, but apparent. This beer needs something paired to bring out its full potential.

M: Light to medium body with light to medium carbonation. and some -OH evaporation on the back end. Low bitterness, but perhaps some tannin astringency.

D: Less potent than 10, but about equal drinkability. This wouldn't be my idea of a great session beer, but pairs wonderfully with rich food.

O: Definitely not on par with 10, but a good beer overall. It seems to lack the strong fruit character of other Belgian ales, and that was a bit of a disappointment for me.

11-24-2009 06:48:43 | More by dpnelson1978
AgentMunky

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a chalice.

A: Meh. Little head, no lacing, no tracing. A mild-dark brown with strange particulate matter (yeast?) floating all around.

S: A strong floral or fruity nose. Second whiff confirms fruit, dark fruits, and alcohol. Pleasant, but doesn't hold my attention.

T: An instant spiciness mingles with the sweet alcoholic fruits.

M: A nice mouthfeel, with lingering sweetness and subdued but titillating carbonation.

D: Very nice, but by no means my favourite of the variety. I was honestly a little disappointed. I'll try one on tap some day, and maybe I'll revise my opinion.

04-09-2010 02:03:25 | More by AgentMunky
OakedCanuck

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

11.2 oz poured into stemmed tulip. Thanks to PittBeerGirl!

As I poured this beer, a nice tan head formed just to the top of the glass, it was really fizzy and the head dissipated very quickly. The colour of the beer is a murcky, swamp watery brownish. The smell was of sweet caramelly malt with figs, plums, other dark fruits, some spiciness, and alcohol. The taste was about the same. I did have a problem with the alcohol taste, it tasted more like a shot of liquor in there (vodka) than the usual you get in beers. I also picked up some metallic taste and mouthfeel. I think I will revisit this one again.

12-10-2010 14:09:34 | More by OakedCanuck
thegodfather2701

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

A-Poured into my Chimay chalice. It pours a hazy chestnut color with a creamy off white head. It has lots of floaties.

S-Spicey, hint of clove, alcohol, molasses, brown sugar, and some dark fruits. The nose was the highlight of this for me.

T-To be honest the flavors were very subtle to almost non-existent. What I could pick up included milk chocolate, dark fruits, and alcohol. For the most part these flavors seemed to come through in the aftertaste. The initial taste was very watery and mostly consisting of alcohol flavors. Very disappointed in the flavor.

M-Thinner than expected, but still creamy.

D-The drinkability suffers due to its lack of complexity. I couldn't drink more than one of these because there is just nothing there.

Overall, this was a major disappointment. I drank this a couple of years ago and remember it being good, but this time it was a major disappointment. The flavor was just bland, mostly consisting of alcohol. It looks good, smells good, and has a nice mouthfeel, but the flavor was just not good. I don't think it is worth the price so I doubt I will purchase this again anytime soon.

01-21-2011 20:26:54 | More by thegodfather2701
UTCengOwl

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Rochefort just came back to Texas. Woo! Thought I'd celebrate by going with an 8. These beers are good and I can see how people could love them... but they're just not my favorite. I'd rather have a Chimay or St. Bernardus. I served this in a Ommegang chalice from a 11.2 oz. bottle.

As I pour this, it's clear that the Rochefort is a true trappist beer and not just another imitation. The composition and density of the head just can't be duplicated. When you pour a beer and you can see its excellence within two seconds, the beer deserves a 5 on appearance.

The nose on this isn't quite what I expected. The fruitiness is much dryer than I expected. Maybe it's too much of a rum-soaked flavor? There's also spiciness in there, but it's not quite the standard Belgian spice I'm looking for. The elements are all kind of there, but for some reason it's not the trappist beer I want. Maybe it's unfair to ding the beer for that, but there will be plenty of other reviews that will make up for my opinion.

The taste is along the same lines. The beer is immaculately crafted. Excellent carbonation and body. However, the dried fruit notes are just not what I'm looking for. Kind of strange, but give me a Chimay Red over this any day.

This is one heck of a beer... but it's just not to my taste. I'll rate it down a bit, but don't let that stop you from trying it.

10-30-2011 20:25:14 | More by UTCengOwl
Raebies

Australia

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

A little smoke off the pour, nice head with brown tinge. Fruity pine and plum smell that is very distintive.. it reminds me of pinoclean in a strangely pleasant way. Flavours of coffee and burnt toffee, strong boozey flavour of the alcohol. A little harsh on the palate, tangier than other trappist ales I've tried, but I love the complexity and the maltyness that comes through as it warms up.

11-23-2011 06:53:46 | More by Raebies
tjkinate

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Must not be my style, because I obviously didn't enjoy it as much as most.

A: Massive head that exhibits good retention settling to a small film across the top of the brew. Beer itself is a muddled brown and not the prettiest body to look at.

S: Spices and herbs are accompanied well by the dark fruit scents. I found the scent to be the most stimulating portion of this tasting.

T: ABV detectable, sweetness from the fruits are nice and accompanied well by the herbs and spices. Just found the alcohol to detract from the experience.

M: Highly carbonated, slight burn.

O: I was hoping for more, but admit to only having a few Dubbels prior to this, so I can't compare to many others of the variety.

12-06-2011 01:07:20 | More by tjkinate
Goblinmunkey7

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Deep brick red. Slightly hazed. Head is off-white and leaves a small bubbly head. Some retention on a super thin cap. Collar is a bit chunkier. Negligible lacing.

Smell: Holy Belgian yeast Batman! Booze soaked raisins. Clove. Sharp bite of alcohol over it all. Candi sugar. Biscuity malts and caramel malts. Caramelized madness. Slight roasty character. Peppery. So much alcohol in the back. Phenols. Cookies.

Taste: More of the same. Sweet in that Belgian way. Nice layers of caramelized malts push some caramel and toffee flavors. Candi sugar pushes through. Loads of clove. Some minor banana. Phenols run rampant as the beer warms. Booze! Caramelized malts. Some darker fruit as well. Fig mostly. Raisins too.

Mouthfeel: A little dry with a slightly above average carbonation. Minor lingering yeast flavor. Smooth with a backing alcohol burn.

Overall: Congratulations, it's a Belgian Dubbel!

Yeast is aggressive to the point of absurdity. Phenolic and ultimately lacks the depth I like to see. So much alcohol.

09-18-2012 18:40:06 | More by Goblinmunkey7
jpro

South Carolina

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

330mL bottle poured into a snifter...

A: Murky brown; gentle pour yields a one-finger almond head of soft foam; thick ring of retention, but no lacing on the glass.

S: Dark, sweet bread; some notes of molasses and dark fruit; tobacco... gets better as it warms.

T: Bready malt; light plum; a touch of booze; leather; kind of thin.

M: High carbonation; lighter body than expected; sweet start and dry finish.

O: Nice look and aroma; average taste and decent feel.

*from notes 01.16.14

02-14-2014 00:16:01 | More by jpro
GClarkage

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

05/08/06- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirits in Lafayette, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle with a best by date of '07. Had this for about two years now. Poured into my Rochefort chalice.

Appearance- Murky pond scum color. Not sure how to describe it. I guess on the thick brown side. Bits of brown yeast that looks like, as my wife describes it, as tobacco spit. Good likening there. Bottle overflowed as it opened, but didn't lose any of it. About a 3/4 inch head topped of the glass nicely. Head dies down soon and really doesn't leave much of any lacing.

Smell- Malty mixture of caramel, dark fruits, nuttyness and some dark chocolate.

Taste- Extremely mellow. Dates and raisins with a lightly alcohol soaked taste. Kind of a milk/dark chocolate mixture. Kinda thin though. In fact much more than I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel- A bit watery, but super smooth. Really low carbonation level.

Drinkability- Was a bit disappointed, but it's still above average. I would buy several others over this one, but would in no way, shape or form, turn one down if offered to me. For the $5 I paid for it though, seems like I was a bit let down.

05-09-2006 05:40:51 | More by GClarkage
danielocean03

Indiana

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into an oversized wine glass. Slow pour still produced a full two finger beige head that slowly gave way so moderate sticky lacing. Appearance is an opaque mocha colored brown with a slight reddish tint to it in the light and nearing the edges. Aroma smells sweetly of malt, dried fruit, warm sugary alcohol and has a yeastiness about it. The alcohol is far from hidden in the nose as it makes itself known in both the nose and in the finish. Taste starts sweet and rich of dried dark fruits, then nicely progesses towards a stronger yeast flavor than first introduced in the nostrils. This brew is able to keep one guessing when the alchol will emerge from the sweet earthiness and bite as it tends to fade and reapppear with passing sips. One sweet and seemingly innocent and then the next you might think you're dealing with far higher than 9.2% abv. Mouthfeel is medium body with an aptly paired moderate carbonation, slight roughing of the tongue as it then washes off towards the gullet with a more smoothing feeling. Finishes with a sweet dryness in the mouth, much like a dark espresso, alongside a minimal sweet fruity aftertaste. Drinkability is scored a little lesser given the seeming omnipresence of alcohol in this ale, either way, overall an enjoyable ale.

07-19-2006 01:56:00 | More by danielocean03
SQNfan

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Deep mahogony in color with a medium-thick head of medium-sized off-white bubbles. There were aromas of raisins, chocolate, orange pulp, plum and dark caramel. There is a lot of carbonation in the mouth keeping this very light and fresh. The flavors remain on the "dark side", similar to the nose but lack a bit of concentration. I love the 10, but this just feels like a watered down version, which should be expected but leaves me wanting more.

05-02-2008 02:55:45 | More by SQNfan
Magpie14

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

A: hearty clouded cider brown with soft reds and copper. Head is bubbly, light khaki in color, and left creamy splashes of lace. The cap fizzled away rather fast and the lacing is minimal, considering the alcohol % I would not expect much, but this is rather faint

S: I get whiffs of dates, figs, and tart pears all with a spiced herbal character. Minimal malt and yeast in the nose. I am not really that floored as spiced rum notes start to wallow through

T: up front we have fruits much like in the nose; dates, figs, raisins, a few rotten bananas, and maybe a few pieces of orange peels. Sweet side is laced with caramelized flavors with brown sugar. All in all, the flavors consist of fruits (as mentioned above) soaked in spiced rum with a faint malty profile, I find the malts to be somewhat laid back. Spiciness ranges from cloves, to a dash of cinnamon, and a sprinkle of nutmeg
I find the initial blast of flavors complex. However, things are a little timid in regards to the lasting or depth of flavors. Everything seems awash with grainy spiced alcohol at times

M: a true fizzy lifting drink. Carbonation is, shall we say, high and provides the tongue with a invigorating blast. The carbonation level also makes things feel a bit lighter as far as body is concerned, I would say a medium body. Not creamy and just makes it into the smooth category

D: dark fruits, light malts, candied flavors, and awash with alcohol. A little disappointment in my heart, but not much. It is tough for me to consider this as a world class brew. I am not giving up hope, I am gonna have this one again

05-02-2009 19:59:23 | More by Magpie14
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a very 'brown' - straight down the line, no reds, no yellows, just plain brown.

Smells interesting - brown sugar, molasses, dark caramel, toffee, with a hint of spices.

Taste is... different. Slightly sweet up front, mostly sugary caramel flavours, but immediately segues to a piquant spiciness - hard to describe, really, but it's familiar somehow. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's something I want to associate with liquor - tequila, actually, that's it! Weird, but there it is. Very very dry - the initial impression of sweetness is just an illusion - the palate looking for sweetness because of the caramel, but there's none there. Some alcohol. An interesting taste, to be sure, but not one that I 'have to have,' like my most favourite beers.

Mouthfeel is tough to quantify - it's very, very carbonated, and evaporates off the tongue. Very dry, some velvety astringency.

Drinkability is OK - it's not thick and chewy like you might expect from a 9% brew.

09-21-2009 02:56:45 | More by prosper
t420o

Trappistes rochefort 8

A- pour produces a 2 finger tan head resting on a hazy brown head with amber hues. Head recedes quick leaving spotty lacing

S- candied brown sugar, Belgian yeast, alcohol, toasted bread. Not the best smelling belgian abbey or even close 3

T- brown sugar, over ripe dark fruits, belgian yeast, slightly boozy 4

M- nice active carbonation with good viscotity 4.5

O- a good Belgian abbey but not the best I have had. 3.5

B+

01-06-2012 21:45:37 | More by t420o
westweasel

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle.

The beer is a medium brown in the glass, about the color of milk chocolate. It poured out with such a big head, that I only got about half of the bottle in the glass at first and had to re-pour. The aroma is bready, toasty, sweet, and floral. I could smell caramel, graham cracker, and even some cinnamon.

The mouthfeel is medium in body, with a nice fairly dry finish. The taste is caramel, sweet, and bready, with some bitterness at the end adding to the dry finish. There are also spicy notes in there and a black pepper taste.

This beer is very drinkable, with its higher alcohol content masked by the flavors of the malt. An excellent beer.

01-21-2007 00:18:19 | More by westweasel
Atch

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: Very dark, 2 finger head, I was careful not to pour the yeast and it' still a little cloudy.

Smell: To me it smells sweet and smoky. Almost like wine.

Taste: Malty, sweet. For the ABV, the alcohol taste is not very dominant. But you can tell it's there.

Mouthfeel: The beer feels heavy, consistenty wise. But smooth going down. Low on the carbonation side.

Drinkability: I thought it was good and fairly easy to drink one. A good fall warmer.

09-12-2007 20:41:10 | More by Atch
rpstevens

New Hampshire

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was received as an extra from Alen, thanks for the trade. Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

The appearance is a cloudy brown with a thick white head that fades quickly. Very little lacing.

The smell is very malty, with some cherries and maybe a little bit of clove and spice. There is no alcohol present in the nose, which was unexpected for the 9% abv.

The taste is a lot like the smell, a little more spice than I would have expected. There is definitely a little cherry in the flavor, very nice. The alcohol is not very present in the taste, but there is a subtle warming in the belly after a few sips.

The beer is very smooth and drinkable, pleasantly balanced. I do wish the fruit tartness were a little more present to give the beer a slight sour note.

06-04-2009 01:47:48 | More by rpstevens
Foxtrot

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

After enjoying Rochefort 10 a whole lot, I wanted to try my hand at the 8 and see how it fairs.

Appearance is dark mahogany brown with dark amber edges, and a nice big two finger cream cap. The retention was superb as was the lacing.

Aroma is pungent with dates, figs and dark fruits while spicy yeast was much more subtle, or subdued, which ever anyone prefers.

Taste was much different than I had anticipated. The flavors seem slightly thin, barely holding together through the end. Starts fairly smooth up front with some yeasty spiceyness, and finishes slightly harsh. I'm not sure as to the quality of this bottles storage, so it would be fair to say that I will re-review it at a later date with a bottle purchased elsewhere.

Mouthfeel was just a wee bit light. Even after it warmed up it seemed like there was something missing.

Drinkabilty is good. Smooth belgian beer that is quite warming during the winter months.

10-30-2009 06:13:17 | More by Foxtrot
gatornation

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 330 ml bottle it poured a dark ambe colorr with a full 3 finger head that recedes very slow... the smell is strong spice and fruit and yeast and vanilla...the taste is spice and currant fruit with vanilla bean very sugary and sweet a little caramel..the mouth feel is thick and sweet a little too sugar taste for me ..its very drinkable @ 9.2 not detectable its a slow sipper and a recommended one..not my favorite strong especially at the price point

04-30-2010 23:20:17 | More by gatornation
gskitt

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Stormy and dark, almost grey pour, foamy head, sticks around for a bit.
S- Rich ripe fruit, dark fruits, figs and even apricots, super malty.
T-Stringent alcohol up front then layered malt the rest of the way. Lots of dark sugars, toffee flavors as it warms.
M- Fizzy and biting. Alcohol is not hiding. Not as smooth as I expected. Beginning to wonder if this bottles bad.
D- Not more than one. Very boozy alcohol and at 9% not too many can be consumed.
Not sure what I expected. Know this is supposed to be great. Maybe i just received a bad bottle or maybe my palate is not refined enough yet. Either way it leaves me disappointed.

01-08-2011 01:36:21 | More by gskitt