Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 4,937
4.9/5  rDev +14%

opaque brown with a big tan head.lots of sediment.

smells great! too complex to explain. great!

tates like honey.smooth, medicinal, sweet, malty, yeasty. very complex taste.

wow! the mouthfeel is wonderful.

nice belgian lacing! this beer is great!

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

My poor pour resulted in a suspension of yeast that clouded the dark bronze beer, it's a good thing I like yeast! A nice pillowy two-finger head topped off the chalice and dissipated slowly.

I nosed a slight smoky malt mixed with a wonderful spicy-raisin-plumb aroma, typical of the other Rocheforts I've enjoyed.

As it warmed up, I noticed the increasing buttery-malt flavor with floral yeast undertones, eventually turning to more of a toasty flavor with hints of honey.

A great Trappist to enjoy late in the evening while you unwind from a long day.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a murky brown with a 2 inch tan head that quickly recedes to a thin lace. Noticeable sediment at the end of the pour. A divine complex sweet smell not quite as strong as molasses, but more noticeable than brown sugar. Hints of nutmeg maybe, or cinnamon. Maybe figs. The mouthfeel is sharp and bubbly, but very nice with a slight warmth. The taste is sweet and sticky like dark sugars and cream with dark fruits and a slight nuttiness. Even at 9.2%, this beer is remarkably easy to drink and making a very good case for being my favorite beer.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

33 cl bottle coded 141216. Aroma of caramel malts, raisins and dark pitted fruit. Taste is highlighted by molasses, raisins, candi sugar, brown sugar, slight cola. And of course that lovely rochefort trademark yeast esters. Delicious, beautiful, no abv noted on taste. A classic.

Served in Bordeaux glass--
A-Poured very smoothly and formed thick head that endured several minutes before dissipating into thin spots on the surface, like little patches of mold that form on bread. Deep amber and rust color.

S-Raisins and tobacco, fig, cocoa, mocha, earth, malt, prune, light hops, toast, caramel...this is a veritable bouquet of sensations.

T-Light and clean with pleasant suds, malt and hops are in perfect harmony, and bitterness is reminiscent of a tasty French roast. Body marries well with flavors, but is deceptively light for its abv. Aftertaste is slightly bitter mocha, and a thin, sweet estery coating lingers on the inner cheeks, tongue, and roof of the mouth. Delightful.

M-This Trappiste is well-balanced, and it remains so at every moment of consumption.

D-One of my favorites for reasons noted above, and for the fact that it's textures are a perfect match for its flavors at every stage. Drinking this beverage inspires a complete appreciation of its masterful chemistry, and makes me feel good.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a very nice 2 finger fluffy tan head.

The scent is of various fruits, roasted malt, spice and alcohol.

The taste is of roasted malts, banana and other fruit, alcohol, bread, spices, notes of licorice and coffee.

Medium bodied, smooth and a little creamy, moderate carbonation.

One of the best beers I've ever had easily, there was so much to taste and all perfectly balanced. This was also a very easy drinker.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer pours to be a nice dark color. When held up to the light one can tell that it is an orange/red/brown color. It produced a moderate sized creamy looking head that quickly dissipated to a lacing and film over the top of the beer. When agitated the head becomes a little thicker. The factor that this head looks creamy really makes this beer look appetizing, The lacing also contributes to that. I also noticed when I was pouring it that there was some sediment in the bottom of the bottle, I was careful not to pour it into my glass. Not that it would hurt anything, but most people really don't want chunks of sediment in their beer.

In this beer the strongest aroma I detect is a malty one to be sure. The sweet aroma of vanilla is dominant over all other aromas of this beer. I really don't detect much of a hoppy smell at all here. The smell is easy to pick out and over all one doesn't have to work hard to smell any type of aroma this beer offers.

This brew has a complex flavor. As indicated by the aroma, most of the flavor in this beer is sweet, not much bitterness here. The first thing I taste is a sweet flavor. Its really hard to describe the overall taste of this beer but in it I do detect vanilla, and a coffee bean taste. I also detect the hops in the flavor of this beer as well, however the bitterness that they offer is short lived. I taste it on the back of my tongue right after the beer is swallowed. That taste is soon replaced by the taste of vanilla, which slides from the front to the back of the mouth, and in turn leaves a coffee bean aftertaste in the mouth. I would also like to note that now as my beer is warming up a bit more the hops become more pronounced, the bitterness is stronger, but still held in check by the overall sweet, malty flavor of this beer.

The mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. It is full bodied and fairly high in carbonation. As I have said with other Belgian Strong Dark Ales I believe that higher carbonation adds to the overall character of the beer. If there were less carbonation it might taste as if the beer were flat. The beer also leaves and oily feeling on my tongue after I have swallowed it, perhaps this is one of the reasons why the taste still lingers in my mouth for a bit (longer than most) after I have swallowed it. I would definitely buy this brew again. It is an excellent beer and is definitely one of my favorites (out of the few styles/beers I have had at this point).

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I poured the beer from a bottle of 330 ml glass into a Cervoise glass. I paired it with fruits coated with orange chocolate fondue.

This is the type of beer you first enjoy with your eyes for 5 seconds. The carbonation gives the beer (excluding its light brown head) a light amber colour from the top to the bottom. Once the head is formed, the top and the middle turn to a dark brown. As for the bottom, you do not need to get darn close to the glass to see its amber hue. All in all, this beer has the best looks.

As for the taste, I love its consistency. Unlike many beer this one has no variation of intensity. It doesn't start with a light bitter taste and finishes in your throat with an unpleasant punch. Think of a wheat beer with a hint of cereals and unsweetened dark chocolate that stays the same whether it is on your tongue or in your throat. Although I mentioned a possibility of it tasting like dark chocolate, that taste in the Trappistes Rochefort 8 is not as obvious as it could be in a stout.

Finally, thanks to the beer's creaminess, a few bubbles and foam are left at the bottom of your glass. In short, this beer has both the looks and the taste. It is my favourite.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I served this in a wide body wine glass at cellar temperature ~52F.

Appearance was ruddy brown (poor lighting), the beer nearly over foamed after openening.

The aroma was inviting, with hints of dark fruit and rich malt.

The flavor was very complex, always smooth with a certain softness to the flavors. It improved over the course of 30 minutes, filling my mouth more, and still seeming very light on the tongue.
After drinking one, I'd be very happy to enjoy another.

I served this next to Westmalle's 8, which was not even close to the same league.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a dark chocolate brown color with a thin beige, foamy head. Roasted malty aroma with hints of chocolate, toffee and dark fruit. Flavor once again dominated by roasted maltiness, chocolate, toast, caramel, toffee raisin, dark cherries and fig. Extremely quaffable, excellent beer.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Served in tulip at nearly room temperature (no thermometer today).

A: Huge fluffy head, a very light pinkish brown in color. Body is a deep molasses. Quite a sight. Head settles to a thin covering.
S: Cherry flavored bubble gum, some caramel.
T: A wondrous concoction to be sure. Fennel, caramel, cherries, and some flavors that I just cannot place at the moment.
M: I had forgotten how great this felt in the mouth, perhaps unbeatable. Super creamy but not without a tangyness and carbonation to keep the tongue alive.
D: Yes yes and yes.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I poured this from a bottle into a tulip. It was a dark burnt organish in color with a beautiful foam head. The appearance was really something to admire.

The smell and taste were just wonderful. It is so smooth and very drinkable. The mouthfeel was exactly what I would want in a beer.

This may be my overall favorite beer. If I could afford it, I would drink one every night.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Trappistes Rochefort 8 – bottled 06.01.15 – (Almost 9 months old)

Appearance: Mahogany coloured beer with a slightly off white lively head, soon dropping off and becoming creamy and patchy but compact where there is head. One thing that always fascinates me about the Rochefort beers is that when served in the correct trappist chalice with the etching on the inside of the glass, above the stem, there is a noticeable change in the density of that creamy head. One can see the carbonation fizzing upwards from the etching towards the surface of the beer creating a patch of head with slightly lesser density then the surrounding area, which is perfectly round and about the size of a penny. The head has also now reformed to cover the beer and is half a finger high and very dense and creamy. It's as if the beer is reacting upon being released into the air. Some beautiful thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Strong smell of Sherry. There is an aroma and taste in this one that I also get in the 6. In the 6 I don't like it, it's overpowering and I cannot put my finger on what exactly it is. It's nowhere near as strong in the 8 and it is not present in the 10. It's like a pasteurized aroma / taste if that makes sense. I can live with it in the 8 though as it is so slight.

Taste: Slightly smokey, wood. Sweet, complex and fantastic! Alcohol goes undectected in the mouth, comes in very late - as it enters the stomach, just to remind you this is a 9.2% brew. Getting liquorice and dark fruits as this bad boy warms up. Slight perfumed taste, which I don't usually like but here it fits. Moist dark red liquorice.

Mouth feel: Smooth and creamy, ever so slightly bitter in the finish.

Overall: This beer really does feel like it's reacting to being let out of the bottle - it's really lively when poured then it settles down quickly and is constantly changing and evolving as it warms up. This is a truly amazing beer, so much better than I remember the 8 being. I think this is down to it being served too cold in the past. It is perfectly balanced in every way. 11/10!

UPDATE: 22.10.2015
After being disappointed by a fresh Rochefort 10 recently I decided to revisit the 8, same bottle date as above – now 10 months old, to see if it really is as good as this review and it is! I happen to know that the shop that these came from have a fairly big stock with this date code. Looks like I’ll be stocking up my cellar with a load of them! It seems that that the Rochefort yeast strain needs at 8 months on it to calm down!

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

330ml bottle poured into a chalice. Bottled on June 23, 2010 (coded 230615).

A: Beautiful two finger khaki head. Slowly settles to provide a generous cap throughout consumption. Body is cola brown.

S: Whoa...very complex! Some of the best dark fruit aromas I’ve experienced in a beer. Too many to pick them out individually but they work wonderfully together. I detect some fresh berry, spices, and acetic vinegar qualities as well. Chocolate too. Makes me want to drink this very badly.

T: Wonderful. The chocolate is more evident now than it was in the aroma. The dark fruits and berries are combined to provide a full-frontal estery experience. Cinnamon provides a sense of warming comfort rather than overpowering the experience. Some roasted malt provides a bit of earthy smokiness. Finishes with a nice alcoholic touch.

M: Creamy and smooth. Body is fairly full but nothing extreme. Carb is lively...maybe a little too fizzy. Finishes a bit chalky and dry but nothing offputting.

O: I’m really impressed with this. Dubbels haven’t traditionally been my favorite style but this is a masterpiece in brewing. Crazy complex and undeniably satisfying. I will be revisiting this one many times.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured cold from 11.2-ounce bottle into chalice. Beautiful hazy caramel color with a voluminous light tan head. Aroma became more complex as the beer warmed. Flavors of dark fruit and caramel, sweet finish, no residual bitterness. Dangerously drinkable given the high ABV. Overall, an amazing Trappist ale.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

I bought a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 at the "systembolaget" (it's the monopoly we have here in Sweden for selling beer and such with higher than 3.5% alcohol by volume) in a neighboring town.

I poured it into a weissbier glass, probably not an ideal glass, but I had a weissbier just before (gotta get me a chalice).

The beer was dark brown with a lot of yeast and whatnot floating around in it. Looked like a blue Chimay or any other dark belgian style ale, with a foamy light tan head. The lacing was really good.

At first it smelled caramel, sweet malt and a bit spicy, and as it heated I could smell banana and coffee.

The taste was less complex compared to say a blue chimay, but very delicious and the beer felt much more creamy and well balanced. The 9.2 ABV left a little warmth in the throat but nothing else. It tasted sweet and caramelly, with hints of coffee and chocolate. It felt like a more drinkable beer than the other trappist beers of this kind I've had, but I only bought one, which I regretted afterwards. Overall I must say it's one of the better beers I've had, an absolutely awesome beer. Go get it!

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

This was a wonderful dark brown ale that had a one finger head... unfortunately, it was so lively that it began foaming as soon as I broke the seal of the cap, and lost a little before I was able to get the cap off.
Sampled in the St. Bernardus chalice provided by GClarkage.

Smell was complex and intriguing... sweet rich malts, dark fruits (dates and plums, mostly)... a hint of banana, as many have noted, but very far down... and the intriguing scent of milk chocolate.

The taste was likewise multi-layered. Rich malt with a slightly roasted character, chocolate and fruit... tremendous. Alcohol was nonexistent.

Mouthfeel was in-freaking-CREDIBLE... creamy, smooth, and silky. It went down SO easy, it was deceptive. You have to be careful with this one.

Drinkability I take off a little bit... mostly because of price and availability, as of the three places I know of that carry Trappistes Rochefort, only one had any of the 8.

I found this one much more enjoyable than the 6... and I look forward to trying the 10, on the next special occasion when I crack open a great one.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

An 11.2 ounce bottle poured into a Trappistes Rochefort glass.

A: Color is a rich dark brown and beer forms a nice and thick head, about 2 inches. Head disappears quickly though.

S: Smells like candied sugar and toffee; it made me feel like I was about to enjoy a luscious dessert in liquid form!

T: Exceptional, just gets better with every sip. Alcohol dissipates quickly as the beer warms. Very complex synthesis of dark fruits and rich candies.

D: Definitely a sipping beer to be savoured. More than two and you're pressing your luck.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Rochefort is without a doubt my favorite Belgian producer. I can't believe I'm only now honoring this one with a formal review. Rochefort 8 is a 9.2% ABV Strong Dark Ale. It's moderately translucent color is somewhere between Sepia and Sienna, which not only is lovely, but stylistically appropriate. A fair amount of soda-like carbonation is visible within the glass, however the nearly nonexistent off-white head does not indicate this.

The array of scents coming into the nose from the aroma is incredible... Brown bread, baked apples, bananas, molasses, figs, and cloves. Decadent, yet delicate.
While tasting this complex amalgamation of flavors, it's easy to notice that at the heart of this, is a big & bready malt base. A splash of tart fruits, spices, and perhaps a hint of chocolate all join this foundation nicely. What lingers in the finish seems to be a tiny hop element, as well as earthiness and phenols. The alcohol is somewhat warming and noticeable, but I would say it is far from 'hot.' The body is not overly heavy, and in fact it feels smooth and creamy washing over the palate.

Ultimately, I would recommend this on any occasion that calls for huge grainy malt beer- it's one of the timeless, top Belgian Strong Dark Ales!

Bottle into my Duvel Tulip

A: Dark brown almost black. Thing white head that quickly dissapates

S:Cocoa, spice, yeast, plums. A very complex nose. Makes me want to just stick my nose in for a long time, but then I couldn't taste it.

T: The yeast character takes the front with a spicy, clovey, with a slight pepperyness. Then the malt background catches up with the cocoa and dark fruit character.

M: Medium body which for the ABV makes it scary easy to drink.

O: Excellent world class beer. I liked the other too Rocheforts and this one stand head to head with its peers.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

This was sitting in my "cellar" and I use that term loosely for several months and I just couldn't let it sit any longer. Poured it into my snifter, and it immediately sprouted a huge foamy tan head which lingered for several minutes. The body was dark brown, small bubbles about the glass and plenty of sediment at the bottom. The aroma was extremely complex, plenty of malts, over-ripe bananas, yeast and bread/biscuits, alcohol, coffee, slightly sour fruits, and a small ammount of chocolate at first which grew more intense as it warmed. I could have sat there smelling it for a lot longer.
The taste was full of carbonation at first, but hit you with alcohol and dark fruits up front. Very malty still but with a lot more yeast, almost a gingerbread-y brown sugar taste. Over-ripe bananas yes, but beyond that I didn't get the sweet or tropical fruits others seem to find.
The motuhfeel was equisite; somewhat acidic at first, but very smooth afterwards, glides over your tongue and lingers pefectly. You can almost still taste the brown sugar on you lips after every sip. There is a lot of alchol taste but you wouldn't guess 9.2 % abv. Finishes out with a completely different feel than it starts with, but each taste is complex and wonderfully balanced.
You definitely sip this beer; no, you partake in this beer. A few are more than enough. The alcohol could mess with your ability to truly enjoy all facets of this beer after 2 or 3. This is simply one of the best, if not the best Belgian Strong Darks I've ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Oh how happy I was to find this in a great beer store not too far from where I live...I've got the Rochefort 6 sitting there beckoning me as well, but this one called to me first. I must say, I like this one better than the more highly prized Rochefort 10.

The appearance is a turbid, cloudy brown, with plenty of yeast at the bottom. Superb off-white lace all around the glass and is going nowhere. Head retention is superb as well. Twenty minutes and counting.

Smells very similar to Rochefort 10 - some pine, citrus, and hidden phenols.

Taste is truly exceptional - tastier than its more alcoholic sibling. This is like the hotter younger sister, one might say. Spiced apples, hops are barely distinguishable, and are overshadowed by the powerful malty flavor. Make sure you taste the vanilla flavor all the way down your trachea.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated at first, very very smooth on the way down, slightly chewy due to the yeast, but wholly satisfying every second.

If they had this on tap anywhere near here, I'd probably lose my job. Nice job, Rochefort Trappistes...

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

A beautiful, beautiful beer, probably the best Trappist I can find in Singapore.

A: Pours a rich, deep brown into a goblet glass with little head and no lace. In fact this was the 'worst' part of this beer because pretty much everything else about it was exceptional.

S: Warm, rich smell of charcoal, candy and some cinnamon, and lots of wholegrain bread. I almost detected butterscotch and shortbread. The complexity of smells is simply amazing.

T: This is easily one of the best tasting beers in the world. For a beer that packs 9.2% of alcohol it tastes of everything else but alcohol. It tastes a lot of shortbread and rye bread with hints of butter. Imagine a rich, well spread meal with lots of starchy foods. No wonder the monks call this 'liquid bread' because it tasted of pumpernickel, rye bread and brezel. I Was just blown away by the taste. As my friend put it, 'my tongue just had an orgasm tasting this beer'.

M: For a beer this strong it was exceptionally smooth. If it didn't cost S$18 a bottle I would have easily downed a few of these.

D: Do I even need to say anything at this point?

Overall: BEAUTIFUL. Simply BEAUTIFUL. A spectacular, world class Trappist that you know right from the first sip, that this beer is a labour of love by the Trappist monks. I raise my half-empty glass to them in respect.

4.86/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Haven't yet had enough Belgian beers to be an expert, but when in (the vicinity of) Rome.....!
Bought a 33 cl bottle at a Holland grocery store for E2.05. BB date 03.03.20
Poured cold in a tulip glass.
Opaque brown with brownish creamy head. Great rich malty nose. Can smell the alcohol right into my throat. ...yikes!?

Taste is surprisingly clean. Not boozy. Dark malt is the heavyweight star of the show. A little hint of sweetness late in the aftertaste...like molasses sugar. But not a cheap, 'adjunct' kind of sweet... plays very nice. And nothing like the heaviness of a stout....light as a feather on that count. Dangerously so.
Lingering oily/resiny feel on the tongue afterwards. Again, nice.
Except for the telltale 'heating up of the face', I would have no idea this had as much alcohol. Masterful brewing is one thing. This is an effin' magic show.

Though I remain a devout hophead, I am in awe of the fine medieval biochemistry knowledge here. If the winds of fate were to have delivered me here. I would have been a happy Belgian. Maybe even a monk.....
Revisit. edit: Been in Neth/Belgium 7 weeks now, and have tried a couple dozen Trappist and Abbey ales. Determined I'm not a devotee of the much sweeter R-10.
Just reviewed the R-6, and thought it a good idea to chase it with an 8 for comparison....the 8 pours darker , more sediment left behind, darker like coca cola. Stronger malt backbone to this one...I think that's what does it for me.
Great beer.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Gorgeous deep orangy Brown with a big foamy head

S: Nice light smell. Spicy and sweet with no overpowering booziness.

T: The alcohol (9.2%) is hidden behind an almost light malty flavor. Sweet but with enough spice to keep it from overpowering the beer. No high in hoppiness and not too boozy.

M- Smooth as butter with enough burn to remind you that you're drinking a real beer.

D- One of the most drinkable beers over 9% I have ever tasted. Absolutely smooth and without a strong alcohol taste. Beer drinkers at all levels could drink this one with relative ease.

The world class reputation matches the flavor.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort