Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
badgerman

09-29-2012 04:43:59 | More by badgerman
UCLABrewN84

1.13/5  rDev -73.9%

Pours a murky iced tea color with a 2 inch light tan head that fades to a thin cap. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of dark fruits, brown sugar, spices, and yeast. There is a hint of funky smell coming off this one, just like the 10 I just reviewed. Taste is of raisin puree, prune juice, spices, and slight Belgian yeast. Again, slight funk comes through in the taste. Mouthfeel is extremely flat and thick. This does not work well for this beer at all in my opinion. Overall, this seems to be another bad beer. I just gave the 10 a horrible review and this one is pretty bad too. I bought both bottles from the same store. Both were stored in a cooler at a high end bottle shop so I am not sure what happened on these. I will have to get another bottle of this one too so I can confirm infection issues.

05-24-2011 03:24:35 | More by UCLABrewN84
catadoraccidental

1.19/5  rDev -72.5%

APPEARANCE: Many ivory durable foam. It is a layer of thick middle finger permanently and brands of foam from the maximum height reached to serve. Dark brown and very watery black between. / AROMA: In the first instant of pouring it into the glass, the smell is rum. Almost immediately after the aroma is strange, as spoiled rum, if such a thing could occur. Maybe that smell comes from alcohol. Unpleasant. Prefer not go nosing. / Taste: Creamy. Intense roasted flavors. In the back of the palate and throat leaves a permanent taste a little aggressive. Taste very conflicted: have to like it a lot or you dislike. Definitely something burning, as if I had grabbed the stew at the bottom of the pot and also, for some mysterious reason, that stew had spoiled bitter. Salted. There is a beer that fit off the middle ground. / GENERAL ASSESSMENT: Not as good as they say. Pretty bad. 2.50 euros. / January 2013

01-14-2013 15:41:42 | More by catadoraccidental
bhobbs918

1.25/5  rDev -71.1%

06-30-2013 13:07:05 | More by bhobbs918
aasher

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -68.8%

This beer poured a muddy, murky dark raisin brown in color with a light khaki head which laced the glass. I don't know what to think of the aromas. It's like nothing I've ever smelt from a Belgian dark. It is incredibly "spicy", astringent, and kind of hard to deal with. It's like rubbing alcohol mixed with Thai food. I'm thinking this could be a bad bottle? Possibly infected? I don't know. The flavor too, like rubbing alcohol and spicy, giving me a headache. Oh my god I can't believe this. I'm sooo disappointed! It's nauseating. This bottle is awful, downright awful. It kills me to drain pour. I've had the others before but this is my first "8". Apparently I'll have to try this again. When that time comes I'll revisit this review but WTF. $6 for this experience was horrible, and on my birthday? Come on.

01-28-2011 05:49:20 | More by aasher

12-06-2011 01:03:49 | More by leinie13
cates1tg

11-28-2011 20:14:08 | More by cates1tg
nhindian

11.2oz bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice.

I have a few Trappist beers that I am going to tackle in the coming days. This is the first.

A - Pours a dark brown, incredibly murky, with tons of sediment chunks in it. I was careful with this one and even left more than the usual in the bottom of the beer to avoid this, but instead I was greeted with this repulsive sight. Builds little head, almost a half-finger's worth, but it lasts a long time. No lacing. Not sure if something's wrong with this or not...

S - Smell is strong in raisin, figs, and alcohol. Some chocolate and unfortunately its also a bit buttery. Disappointing.

T - Taste is as bad as the smell. Tons of diacetyl and butterscotch. Some raisins, a bit vinious and tannic, but I can't shake the diacetyl.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with low carbonation. Almost flat. Leaves a lasting alcohol finish.

D - Drinkability is low and almost non-existant. Unfortunate that my first encounter with this Trappist is a fail, but at least it's (relatively) available, just a bit expensive. My first encounter with a butter-bomb and it's not pleasant!

12-29-2010 02:06:26 | More by nhindian

sbanacho

05-14-2012 16:02:44 | More by sbanacho
colts9016

Idaho

Poured into a snifter at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A dark brown color with copper hues. There was a nice billowy one finger head, the head didn't not last long. The clarity of the beer is hazy.

Nose:A rich maltiness with a over yeasted aroma.

Taste: A bitter maltiness, with a stale yeast bread and flat carbonation.

Overall: I honestly think I got a bad bottle of beer. It don't taste like beer and sure is not a strong Belgium beer. It don't taste even close to a Chimay Grand Reserve. I am going to see if I can find another bottle of beer. I will be reviewing this. I am dumping this down the drain.

02-06-2009 01:11:06 | More by colts9016

07-11-2012 02:38:46 | More by ajs4bd
tylerzander

Arizona

2.09/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - despite a slightly sloppy, yeast rousing pour, the beer appears in the glass a dark toffee color that shows deep ruby highlights when held up to a light; pours a thick one finger tan, tight bubbled head, at least once the madly foaming first pour leveled off

S - some dark fruit notes seem faded and overpowered by a stale oxidized aroma and a little ethanol with a hint of acetone

T - tastes pretty oxidized, mildly and unpleasantly lingering sourness/cardboard taste with a bitter turn at the end; not sure if this was a problem with storage (probably, purchased at a liquor store with little craft beer turnover, though it was refrigerated) or a bad bottle from the brewery

M - thin and lacking, not the beer it's supposed to be

D - I finished it, only as a means of trying to figure out what happened to this beer, even though it was more rather than less undrinkable as it warmed, becoming more solventy

03-14-2013 00:38:32 | More by tylerzander
FeDUBBELFIST

2.1/5  rDev -51.5%

330mL bottle, served in a tulip
Batch 220414. Purchased 3 years ago. Sampled 15JAN13

[A] Slow pour yields a 3 finger, slow rising cap, light tan, compact creamy foam. Ridiculous retention. The body is dark mahogany and hard to see through.

[S] The nose is very odd at this age honestly. Butterscotch, sweet oxidized malts and most notably ginger ale. Huh?

[T] Same as the nose. Confused. Conflicting. And wayyy past it's prime. Alcohol is hard to detect.

[M] Thinned out at this point. Ample fizzy carbonation, but short lived.

[O] Prime example of aging gone bad. Either that or this bottle was mishandled. (The cellar conditions were nearly perfect under my watch.) The '10' had the same ginger ale notes. Will definitely be re-reviewing a fresher bottle.

02-03-2013 13:49:38 | More by FeDUBBELFIST

11-30-2013 03:57:00 | More by kabritz
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.42/5  rDev -44.1%

I found this beer at one of the local liquor stores here and snatched it up and I've been holding on to it for a special occasion. That occasion was tonight.

Poured a dark, murky brown with some sediment in it and also one amazing head. It lingered around for a while and finally settled in to a nice little ring around the top.

I didn't get a lot of the smells that others got. The main smell that I got was alcohol. No raisins, no malt, no caramel, nothing, just alcohol. Got me a bit worried.

I really wasnt that impressed with the taste of this beer either. It was almost like there wasnt a taste to it. I got a lot of alcohol from this beer but that was about it. Did I get a bad bottle? I'm not sure about that. It had some nice carbonation to it and it looked like it was going to be a good beer, but it just never amounted to anything.

Big disappointment. After reading some of the reviews, I was hoping for a mind-blowing experience and I just didn't have it. I will probably re-rate this in the future to ensure that I didn't get a bad bottle or something but as of now, I just don't get it.

11-25-2007 05:35:37 | More by Tilley4
waughbrew

2.48/5  rDev -42.7%

Big ol' head that just won't subside. Forms funny shapes and clumps on the sides of the glass. Dark blackredbrown body. Smells like Captain Morgan original, prunes, and a spicy red wine. A carbonated charcoal Jack Daniels. Finish is lacking as the beer floats away leaving a dry ashen alcohol. Very cool feel, striking the bridge of the nose between the eyes of fluffiness and full-boditity. Interesting, peculiar, and nothing I wanted to finish. Yech, is this distilled?

[Drink by 8/19/08]