Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,758 | Reviews: 1,835

Possibly got faulty bottles.

1.15/5  rDev -73.4%

Pours a murky iced tea color with a 2 inch light tan head that fades to a thin cap. No lacing whatsoever. Smells of dark fruits, brown sugar, spices, and yeast. There is a hint of funky smell coming off this one, just like the 10 I just reviewed. Taste is of raisin puree, prune juice, spices, and slight Belgian yeast. Again, slight funk comes through in the taste. Mouthfeel is extremely flat and thick. This does not work well for this beer at all in my opinion. Overall, this seems to be another bad beer. I just gave the 10 a horrible review and this one is pretty bad too. I bought both bottles from the same store. Both were stored in a cooler at a high end bottle shop so I am not sure what happened on these. I will have to get another bottle of this one too so I can confirm infection issues.

1.22/5  rDev -71.8%

APPEARANCE: Many ivory durable foam. It is a layer of thick middle finger permanently and brands of foam from the maximum height reached to serve. Dark brown and very watery black between. / AROMA: In the first instant of pouring it into the glass, the smell is rum. Almost immediately after the aroma is strange, as spoiled rum, if such a thing could occur. Maybe that smell comes from alcohol. Unpleasant. Prefer not go nosing. / Taste: Creamy. Intense roasted flavors. In the back of the palate and throat leaves a permanent taste a little aggressive. Taste very conflicted: have to like it a lot or you dislike. Definitely something burning, as if I had grabbed the stew at the bottom of the pot and also, for some mysterious reason, that stew had spoiled bitter. Salted. There is a beer that fit off the middle ground. / GENERAL ASSESSMENT: Not as good as they say. Pretty bad. 2.50 euros. / January 2013

1.38/5  rDev -68.1%

This beer poured a muddy, murky dark raisin brown in color with a light khaki head which laced the glass. I don't know what to think of the aromas. It's like nothing I've ever smelt from a Belgian dark. It is incredibly "spicy", astringent, and kind of hard to deal with. It's like rubbing alcohol mixed with Thai food. I'm thinking this could be a bad bottle? Possibly infected? I don't know. The flavor too, like rubbing alcohol and spicy, giving me a headache. Oh my god I can't believe this. I'm sooo disappointed! It's nauseating. This bottle is awful, downright awful. It kills me to drain pour. I've had the others before but this is my first "8". Apparently I'll have to try this again. When that time comes I'll revisit this review but WTF. $6 for this experience was horrible, and on my birthday? Come on.

11.2oz bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice.

I have a few Trappist beers that I am going to tackle in the coming days. This is the first.

A - Pours a dark brown, incredibly murky, with tons of sediment chunks in it. I was careful with this one and even left more than the usual in the bottom of the beer to avoid this, but instead I was greeted with this repulsive sight. Builds little head, almost a half-finger's worth, but it lasts a long time. No lacing. Not sure if something's wrong with this or not...

S - Smell is strong in raisin, figs, and alcohol. Some chocolate and unfortunately its also a bit buttery. Disappointing.

T - Taste is as bad as the smell. Tons of diacetyl and butterscotch. Some raisins, a bit vinious and tannic, but I can't shake the diacetyl.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with low carbonation. Almost flat. Leaves a lasting alcohol finish.

D - Drinkability is low and almost non-existant. Unfortunate that my first encounter with this Trappist is a fail, but at least it's (relatively) available, just a bit expensive. My first encounter with a butter-bomb and it's not pleasant!

Poured into a snifter at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A dark brown color with copper hues. There was a nice billowy one finger head, the head didn't not last long. The clarity of the beer is hazy.

Nose:A rich maltiness with a over yeasted aroma.

Taste: A bitter maltiness, with a stale yeast bread and flat carbonation.

Overall: I honestly think I got a bad bottle of beer. It don't taste like beer and sure is not a strong Belgium beer. It don't taste even close to a Chimay Grand Reserve. I am going to see if I can find another bottle of beer. I will be reviewing this. I am dumping this down the drain.

Suprisingly mild for such a high ABV. Mixed six from Uncle Mike.

2.1/5  rDev -51.5%

330mL bottle, served in a tulip
Batch 220414. Purchased 3 years ago. Sampled 15JAN13

[A] Slow pour yields a 3 finger, slow rising cap, light tan, compact creamy foam. Ridiculous retention. The body is dark mahogany and hard to see through.

[S] The nose is very odd at this age honestly. Butterscotch, sweet oxidized malts and most notably ginger ale. Huh?

[T] Same as the nose. Confused. Conflicting. And wayyy past it's prime. Alcohol is hard to detect.

[M] Thinned out at this point. Ample fizzy carbonation, but short lived.

[O] Prime example of aging gone bad. Either that or this bottle was mishandled. (The cellar conditions were nearly perfect under my watch.) The '10' had the same ginger ale notes. Will definitely be re-reviewing a fresher bottle.

2.12/5  rDev -51%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - despite a slightly sloppy, yeast rousing pour, the beer appears in the glass a dark toffee color that shows deep ruby highlights when held up to a light; pours a thick one finger tan, tight bubbled head, at least once the madly foaming first pour leveled off

S - some dark fruit notes seem faded and overpowered by a stale oxidized aroma and a little ethanol with a hint of acetone

T - tastes pretty oxidized, mildly and unpleasantly lingering sourness/cardboard taste with a bitter turn at the end; not sure if this was a problem with storage (probably, purchased at a liquor store with little craft beer turnover, though it was refrigerated) or a bad bottle from the brewery

M - thin and lacking, not the beer it's supposed to be

D - I finished it, only as a means of trying to figure out what happened to this beer, even though it was more rather than less undrinkable as it warmed, becoming more solventy

2.47/5  rDev -43%

I found this beer at one of the local liquor stores here and snatched it up and I've been holding on to it for a special occasion. That occasion was tonight.

Poured a dark, murky brown with some sediment in it and also one amazing head. It lingered around for a while and finally settled in to a nice little ring around the top.

I didn't get a lot of the smells that others got. The main smell that I got was alcohol. No raisins, no malt, no caramel, nothing, just alcohol. Got me a bit worried.

I really wasnt that impressed with the taste of this beer either. It was almost like there wasnt a taste to it. I got a lot of alcohol from this beer but that was about it. Did I get a bad bottle? I'm not sure about that. It had some nice carbonation to it and it looked like it was going to be a good beer, but it just never amounted to anything.

Big disappointment. After reading some of the reviews, I was hoping for a mind-blowing experience and I just didn't have it. I will probably re-rate this in the future to ensure that I didn't get a bad bottle or something but as of now, I just don't get it.

2.52/5  rDev -41.8%

Big ol' head that just won't subside. Forms funny shapes and clumps on the sides of the glass. Dark blackredbrown body. Smells like Captain Morgan original, prunes, and a spicy red wine. A carbonated charcoal Jack Daniels. Finish is lacking as the beer floats away leaving a dry ashen alcohol. Very cool feel, striking the bridge of the nose between the eyes of fluffiness and full-boditity. Interesting, peculiar, and nothing I wanted to finish. Yech, is this distilled?

[Drink by 8/19/08]

2.6/5  rDev -40%

I find myself in a minority in not particularly caring for this beer. Poured a hazy cola brown. Vigorous seltzery head that was equal to the volume of liquid poured into the goblet, and which quickly settled into a thin, motionless blanket across the surface of the beer.

Aroma was of apricots and white wine, with a hint of white rum. The beer moves quickly across the palate without much of an impression. The finish is dry, and, after a second of hesitation, a sharp bitterness emerges at the back of the tongue and lingers.

I often find Belgian ales a little on the sweet side, but here I felt that the beer could benefit from a little sweetness to balance the bitter finish. Overall, I found the beer to be rather harsh and unfriendly.

2.62/5  rDev -39.5%

I bought this beer anticipating a life changing experience due to the massive amount of reviews.

A- Dark mahogany brown. Big head which quickly fades to a ring of carbonation around the glass. Totally opaque with bits of yeast floating around.

S- Dark ripe fruit, plums and figs with a massive detection of alcohol in the nose. Slightly sweet.

T- Huge malt profile. Alcoholic flavors predominate. Reminiscent of dark liquors.

M- Very smooth. Surprisingly volatile carbonation for the amount of residual head. The huge malt presence gives it a thick and chewy texture.

Overall, I can see how this would appeal to certain people, but in the end, for me, it’s just not my thing... at all. Perhaps my palate isn’t quite sophisticated enough to truly enjoy this beer.

2.73/5  rDev -37%

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau Stemmed Pilsner (tulip) glass. Some unfiltered residue remained in the bottle after a careful pour.

A: A 3-finger off-white head sits atop a dark brown liquid body in the glass. Not much light getting through.

S: Light fruit up front, cherries, some overripe dark fruit, lots of Belgian funk. A curious aroma, not sure if I've encountered this exact smell before.

T: Follows the aroma, only much stronger. More funk, cloyingly sweet, heavy on the malt, but not in a good way. An odd mix of light and dark fruits, in conjunction with a somewhat thin body, make this a wierd combination.

M: Thin body with less carbonation than the head would suggest. This would benefit from a heavier body and a more aggressive carbonation.

O: A decent ale, but not one I would seek out again. The combination of heavy funk and the opposing light and dark fruit flavors make this a one-and-done for me. I guess the best feature of this ale is the totally-hidden alcohol. I couldn't smell it, nor could I taste it. But strangely, I would almost welcome some alcohol flavor mixed in, because the existing flavors were not pleasing to me at all.

2.76/5  rDev -36.3%

Big bubbled head floats and stays on top of this dark brown brew. Looks very medieval! Has the color of a brown ale.

Not much of a smell. Alcohol (9.2%) burn, roasted malts are present.

Well carbonated. Heavy beer. This one needs to be drunk slow... Has an alcohol burn that hurts my thought, a little unbalanced in that sense. Could use some more malt sweetness to take off the edge (in my opinion). Muddled mixed flavors, like some failed home brew experiment, a train wreck. Prune and plum flavors are present, would probably go great with turkey and gravy (today is thanksgiving).

Not impressed, this beer is way too heavy, bitter alcohol, and lack of good flavor makes this a bland beer.

2.8/5  rDev -35.3%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

I really tried to love this beer. I know how highly-rated it is, and I gave it every chance I could. But I just couldn't get that much out of it.

The beer pours into a snifter with a brown body and a very thick mocha-colored head. Looks fantastic and inviting.

I take a whiff of the nose, and get... not a whole lot. Slight citrus notes, slight astringent quality. Even as the beer warms, I get very little complexity or even aroma at all, but simply the same aroma further and further.

The flavor is mainly citrus, mostly oranges, with a strong astringent hit to the palate on the finish. As the beer warms, the citrus gets a bit stronger, but so does this weird dry alcoholic character to the aftertaste. Not terrible, but certainly not something I'm itching to drink several bottles of.

Mouthfeel is thick and luxurious, foamy and pleasant, largely owing to the thick foamy head.

The moderately decent flavor, combined with the high alcohol leads to a low drinkability for me. I may try this again in a year or two when my tastes may have changed, but for now there are better ways to spend the six bucks or so I spent on this 11.2 oz bottle. I can't believe this beer is as highly-rated as it is.

2.81/5  rDev -35.1%

A. Dark brown- almost black. A thin large head forms and quickly dies down to a thin covering. Very thin head.

S. It had a darker sweet smell. Perhaps a rasin/plum type deal with some sugar/molasses. Not a strong smell but certainly a lot going on here.

M. Slightly thicker than the 6. Not a creamy or thick beer though. The carbonation is somewhat thin but "bubbly" feeling on the tongue. The more I drink the more the body seem to mostly be carbonation.

T. Sweet almost sour. Some raisins and a nice spicy kind of mix similar to the 6.

D. A lot of flavor here, but the spicy flavor with the alcohol really doesn't work completely. It doesn't demand a desire to drink more and more.

Of the 3 Rochefort's this is by far the most interesting. This is certainly a beer that's worth trying. The cost is way too high and ultimately it isn't something I'll buy again.

2.83/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was very excited to try this and very disappointed. Looks great in the glass, tastes bland. No complexity at all. I will try one more to see if this is a dud.

2.88/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured half a bottle into my snifter.

A - Dark amber with a yeasty head. The most chuncks I have ever seen floating around in a beer. (I left an ounce in the bottle so I didn't pour all the sediment from the bottom)

S - Smells like apple juice.

T - Tastes Like carbonated hard cider.

M - Sweet, full flavored.

D - I could barley finish it. Not one of my favorites. I enjoyed the Rochefort 10 much more.

2.88/5  rDev -33.5%

11.2 oz. bottle. Picked this up in KC, MO. Not available here in Wichita. Label is stamped "25 12 07" which I assume is the best-before date.

Appearance: This was a deep brown beer with washed out red highlights. The tan head maintained at around one finger during my slow pour. It was coarse and fizzy, disappearing rather quickly. There was no lace left behind on the glass.

Smell: Dry husky malt, light caramel, cherries, and warm, round alcohol made up the bulk of the aroma. There was an old, musky oak smell as well. Kind of washed out and bland overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth.

Taste: Almost as boring as the smell, but not quite. Dry chocolate or cocoa combined with candied fruits and hints of tart cherries. On the finish, a big vodka-like alcohol flavor rose up and dominated. That was it.

I realize that this is a short review, but there just wasn't anything else going on with this beer to describe. What was there was uninspiring.

2.9/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a rochefort goblet.

murky deep brown with an inch of bubbly tan head. retains well and falls into lumpy peaks. some sediment along the bottom; managed to leave most of it in the bottle.

astringent alcohol aroma. some fruity malt sweetness with a touch of bread and butter.

flavor is surprisingly weak. as a huge fan of the 10, this is a bit of a shock; flavor is astringent, bitter, and oddly empty. bit of a sweet aftertaste; a bready brown sugar flavor. sharp carbonation gives it a soda-like mouthfeel. i'm hitting the bottom of the glass and finding little else to note. oddly enough, i prefer the 6 and the 10 to this one.

33cl bottle poured into a Grimbergen Chalice

Bottle ref L311012

A- Mahogany body with garnet highlight. Lots of sediment poured in. 2 finger tan head reduces instantly. No lacing and no head retention at all.

S- Light cocoa note, hint of vanilla. Very subtle though, this only really came through as the beer warmed up.

T- Subtle notes again. Cocoa comes through but i cant really pick out anything else before the dry finish and alcohol kick.

M- High carbonation, cola like levels!

D- 2nd Rochefort beer i have had and 2nd time im completely underwhelmed. I realise this is an older bottle but at 9.2% abv i would expect it to hold up and have some complexity retained. To me this is over carbonated, bland with a noticeable alcohol kick on the tongue. Ill need to hunt down a fresh bottle, looking at other reviews of these beers, im not drinking the same ones.

2.94/5  rDev -32.1%

This 33cl was served to me in a martini glass, which I'm hoping was the precursor for this lackluster review.

Body was a rich maple syrup brown, with a nice fluffy head which eventually settled to a suddy film. The aroma for me was very faint - which I'm hoping was due to the glassware. Hints were primarily on the sweet malty side.

The taste, though complex, just didn't appeal to me. I got notes of sweet candy, alcohol, and a nuttyness I felt was out of place. The finish also brought in some grassy hops, which I felt to be quite stale. Brew had a medium body feel, and was quite sticky.

ehhh... Underwhelmed. I loved the 10 - and with this having better reviews, I think it's ultimately one I'll have to revisit.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured bubbly, smells malty, cherries, alcoholic, and lemony. Coagulated, chunky dregs in the bottom of the bottle.

Strong oxidization flavor dominates, I've never had anything like this before. Then it tastes like buttery caramel, burnt toast, and lemon. Something slightly spicy, what is that oxidized flavor... turmeric? garlic? olives? Tastes like when I used to suck on my zipper, or put my tongue against a battery (without the tingles). Slight salt and clay.

Expected something more pleasant after all the rave reviews! Interesting though. Wouldn't buy again now that I've satisfied my curiosity.

2.96/5  rDev -31.6%

A: Dark brown red. Thin off-white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Dark fruits, bread and yeast. Not as assertive as I was expecting.

T: Taste follows the same footprint but treads a little heavier. Figs, cherries, thick breads and yeast. Some booze.

M: Heavily sedimented... I just couldn't get the damn yeast to stop f'ing with my tongue.

D: Suffers from the heavy sediment and a blunted nose/flavor all around... Will have to try again, in case this was a defective bottle... Just didn't feel right... what a downer

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort