Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros

11.2oz bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice.

I have a few Trappist beers that I am going to tackle in the coming days. This is the first.

A - Pours a dark brown, incredibly murky, with tons of sediment chunks in it. I was careful with this one and even left more than the usual in the bottom of the beer to avoid this, but instead I was greeted with this repulsive sight. Builds little head, almost a half-finger's worth, but it lasts a long time. No lacing. Not sure if something's wrong with this or not...

S - Smell is strong in raisin, figs, and alcohol. Some chocolate and unfortunately its also a bit buttery. Disappointing.

T - Taste is as bad as the smell. Tons of diacetyl and butterscotch. Some raisins, a bit vinious and tannic, but I can't shake the diacetyl.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with low carbonation. Almost flat. Leaves a lasting alcohol finish.

D - Drinkability is low and almost non-existant. Unfortunate that my first encounter with this Trappist is a fail, but at least it's (relatively) available, just a bit expensive. My first encounter with a butter-bomb and it's not pleasant!

nhindian, Dec 29, 2010

sportzmaniac313, Feb 09, 2012

Bellonc, Nov 04, 2012

tun, Jul 29, 2013

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

sbanacho, May 14, 2012

Poured into a snifter at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A dark brown color with copper hues. There was a nice billowy one finger head, the head didn't not last long. The clarity of the beer is hazy.

Nose:A rich maltiness with a over yeasted aroma.

Taste: A bitter maltiness, with a stale yeast bread and flat carbonation.

Overall: I honestly think I got a bad bottle of beer. It don't taste like beer and sure is not a strong Belgium beer. It don't taste even close to a Chimay Grand Reserve. I am going to see if I can find another bottle of beer. I will be reviewing this. I am dumping this down the drain.

colts9016, Feb 06, 2009

Mosul, Jan 23, 2013

ajs4bd, Jul 11, 2012
2.09/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - despite a slightly sloppy, yeast rousing pour, the beer appears in the glass a dark toffee color that shows deep ruby highlights when held up to a light; pours a thick one finger tan, tight bubbled head, at least once the madly foaming first pour leveled off

S - some dark fruit notes seem faded and overpowered by a stale oxidized aroma and a little ethanol with a hint of acetone

T - tastes pretty oxidized, mildly and unpleasantly lingering sourness/cardboard taste with a bitter turn at the end; not sure if this was a problem with storage (probably, purchased at a liquor store with little craft beer turnover, though it was refrigerated) or a bad bottle from the brewery

M - thin and lacking, not the beer it's supposed to be

D - I finished it, only as a means of trying to figure out what happened to this beer, even though it was more rather than less undrinkable as it warmed, becoming more solventy

tylerzander, Mar 14, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -51.5%

330mL bottle, served in a tulip
Batch 220414. Purchased 3 years ago. Sampled 15JAN13

[A] Slow pour yields a 3 finger, slow rising cap, light tan, compact creamy foam. Ridiculous retention. The body is dark mahogany and hard to see through.

[S] The nose is very odd at this age honestly. Butterscotch, sweet oxidized malts and most notably ginger ale. Huh?

[T] Same as the nose. Confused. Conflicting. And wayyy past it's prime. Alcohol is hard to detect.

[M] Thinned out at this point. Ample fizzy carbonation, but short lived.

[O] Prime example of aging gone bad. Either that or this bottle was mishandled. (The cellar conditions were nearly perfect under my watch.) The '10' had the same ginger ale notes. Will definitely be re-reviewing a fresher bottle.

FeDUBBELFIST, Feb 03, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -48%

TexasZach, Oct 01, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -48%

kabritz, Nov 30, 2013
2.42/5  rDev -44.1%

I found this beer at one of the local liquor stores here and snatched it up and I've been holding on to it for a special occasion. That occasion was tonight.

Poured a dark, murky brown with some sediment in it and also one amazing head. It lingered around for a while and finally settled in to a nice little ring around the top.

I didn't get a lot of the smells that others got. The main smell that I got was alcohol. No raisins, no malt, no caramel, nothing, just alcohol. Got me a bit worried.

I really wasnt that impressed with the taste of this beer either. It was almost like there wasnt a taste to it. I got a lot of alcohol from this beer but that was about it. Did I get a bad bottle? I'm not sure about that. It had some nice carbonation to it and it looked like it was going to be a good beer, but it just never amounted to anything.

Big disappointment. After reading some of the reviews, I was hoping for a mind-blowing experience and I just didn't have it. I will probably re-rate this in the future to ensure that I didn't get a bad bottle or something but as of now, I just don't get it.

Tilley4, Nov 25, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -42.7%

Big ol' head that just won't subside. Forms funny shapes and clumps on the sides of the glass. Dark blackredbrown body. Smells like Captain Morgan original, prunes, and a spicy red wine. A carbonated charcoal Jack Daniels. Finish is lacking as the beer floats away leaving a dry ashen alcohol. Very cool feel, striking the bridge of the nose between the eyes of fluffiness and full-boditity. Interesting, peculiar, and nothing I wanted to finish. Yech, is this distilled?

[Drink by 8/19/08]

Chrysostom, Feb 05, 2013

dmberger, Sep 16, 2014

Kyrojack, Jun 12, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -40.4%

I find myself in a minority in not particularly caring for this beer. Poured a hazy cola brown. Vigorous seltzery head that was equal to the volume of liquid poured into the goblet, and which quickly settled into a thin, motionless blanket across the surface of the beer.

Aroma was of apricots and white wine, with a hint of white rum. The beer moves quickly across the palate without much of an impression. The finish is dry, and, after a second of hesitation, a sharp bitterness emerges at the back of the tongue and lingers.

I often find Belgian ales a little on the sweet side, but here I felt that the beer could benefit from a little sweetness to balance the bitter finish. Overall, I found the beer to be rather harsh and unfriendly.

Brent, Apr 08, 2003
2.6/5  rDev -40%

I bought this beer anticipating a life changing experience due to the massive amount of reviews.

A- Dark mahogany brown. Big head which quickly fades to a ring of carbonation around the glass. Totally opaque with bits of yeast floating around.

S- Dark ripe fruit, plums and figs with a massive detection of alcohol in the nose. Slightly sweet.

T- Huge malt profile. Alcoholic flavors predominate. Reminiscent of dark liquors.

M- Very smooth. Surprisingly volatile carbonation for the amount of residual head. The huge malt presence gives it a thick and chewy texture.

Overall, I can see how this would appeal to certain people, but in the end, for me, it’s just not my thing... at all. Perhaps my palate isn’t quite sophisticated enough to truly enjoy this beer.

tdexterc, Jul 13, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau Stemmed Pilsner (tulip) glass. Some unfiltered residue remained in the bottle after a careful pour.

A: A 3-finger off-white head sits atop a dark brown liquid body in the glass. Not much light getting through.

S: Light fruit up front, cherries, some overripe dark fruit, lots of Belgian funk. A curious aroma, not sure if I've encountered this exact smell before.

T: Follows the aroma, only much stronger. More funk, cloyingly sweet, heavy on the malt, but not in a good way. An odd mix of light and dark fruits, in conjunction with a somewhat thin body, make this a wierd combination.

M: Thin body with less carbonation than the head would suggest. This would benefit from a heavier body and a more aggressive carbonation.

O: A decent ale, but not one I would seek out again. The combination of heavy funk and the opposing light and dark fruit flavors make this a one-and-done for me. I guess the best feature of this ale is the totally-hidden alcohol. I couldn't smell it, nor could I taste it. But strangely, I would almost welcome some alcohol flavor mixed in, because the existing flavors were not pleasing to me at all.

DrewV, Jun 12, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -37%

Big bubbled head floats and stays on top of this dark brown brew. Looks very medieval! Has the color of a brown ale.

Not much of a smell. Alcohol (9.2%) burn, roasted malts are present.

Well carbonated. Heavy beer. This one needs to be drunk slow... Has an alcohol burn that hurts my thought, a little unbalanced in that sense. Could use some more malt sweetness to take off the edge (in my opinion). Muddled mixed flavors, like some failed home brew experiment, a train wreck. Prune and plum flavors are present, would probably go great with turkey and gravy (today is thanksgiving).

Not impressed, this beer is way too heavy, bitter alcohol, and lack of good flavor makes this a bland beer.

aluskungs, Nov 23, 2006