Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,820 | Hads: 4,799
2.62/5  rDev -38.9%

I bought this beer anticipating a life changing experience due to the massive amount of reviews.

A- Dark mahogany brown. Big head which quickly fades to a ring of carbonation around the glass. Totally opaque with bits of yeast floating around.

S- Dark ripe fruit, plums and figs with a massive detection of alcohol in the nose. Slightly sweet.

T- Huge malt profile. Alcoholic flavors predominate. Reminiscent of dark liquors.

M- Very smooth. Surprisingly volatile carbonation for the amount of residual head. The huge malt presence gives it a thick and chewy texture.

Overall, I can see how this would appeal to certain people, but in the end, for me, it’s just not my thing... at all. Perhaps my palate isn’t quite sophisticated enough to truly enjoy this beer. (773 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau Stemmed Pilsner (tulip) glass. Some unfiltered residue remained in the bottle after a careful pour.

A: A 3-finger off-white head sits atop a dark brown liquid body in the glass. Not much light getting through.

S: Light fruit up front, cherries, some overripe dark fruit, lots of Belgian funk. A curious aroma, not sure if I've encountered this exact smell before.

T: Follows the aroma, only much stronger. More funk, cloyingly sweet, heavy on the malt, but not in a good way. An odd mix of light and dark fruits, in conjunction with a somewhat thin body, make this a wierd combination.

M: Thin body with less carbonation than the head would suggest. This would benefit from a heavier body and a more aggressive carbonation.

O: A decent ale, but not one I would seek out again. The combination of heavy funk and the opposing light and dark fruit flavors make this a one-and-done for me. I guess the best feature of this ale is the totally-hidden alcohol. I couldn't smell it, nor could I taste it. But strangely, I would almost welcome some alcohol flavor mixed in, because the existing flavors were not pleasing to me at all. (1,168 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -35.7%

Big bubbled head floats and stays on top of this dark brown brew. Looks very medieval! Has the color of a brown ale.

Not much of a smell. Alcohol (9.2%) burn, roasted malts are present.

Well carbonated. Heavy beer. This one needs to be drunk slow... Has an alcohol burn that hurts my thought, a little unbalanced in that sense. Could use some more malt sweetness to take off the edge (in my opinion). Muddled mixed flavors, like some failed home brew experiment, a train wreck. Prune and plum flavors are present, would probably go great with turkey and gravy (today is thanksgiving).

Not impressed, this beer is way too heavy, bitter alcohol, and lack of good flavor makes this a bland beer. (701 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

I really tried to love this beer. I know how highly-rated it is, and I gave it every chance I could. But I just couldn't get that much out of it.

The beer pours into a snifter with a brown body and a very thick mocha-colored head. Looks fantastic and inviting.

I take a whiff of the nose, and get... not a whole lot. Slight citrus notes, slight astringent quality. Even as the beer warms, I get very little complexity or even aroma at all, but simply the same aroma further and further.

The flavor is mainly citrus, mostly oranges, with a strong astringent hit to the palate on the finish. As the beer warms, the citrus gets a bit stronger, but so does this weird dry alcoholic character to the aftertaste. Not terrible, but certainly not something I'm itching to drink several bottles of.

Mouthfeel is thick and luxurious, foamy and pleasant, largely owing to the thick foamy head.

The moderately decent flavor, combined with the high alcohol leads to a low drinkability for me. I may try this again in a year or two when my tastes may have changed, but for now there are better ways to spend the six bucks or so I spent on this 11.2 oz bottle. I can't believe this beer is as highly-rated as it is. (1,281 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -34.5%

A. Dark brown- almost black. A thin large head forms and quickly dies down to a thin covering. Very thin head.

S. It had a darker sweet smell. Perhaps a rasin/plum type deal with some sugar/molasses. Not a strong smell but certainly a lot going on here.

M. Slightly thicker than the 6. Not a creamy or thick beer though. The carbonation is somewhat thin but "bubbly" feeling on the tongue. The more I drink the more the body seem to mostly be carbonation.

T. Sweet almost sour. Some raisins and a nice spicy kind of mix similar to the 6.

D. A lot of flavor here, but the spicy flavor with the alcohol really doesn't work completely. It doesn't demand a desire to drink more and more.

Of the 3 Rochefort's this is by far the most interesting. This is certainly a beer that's worth trying. The cost is way too high and ultimately it isn't something I'll buy again. (870 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -34%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was very excited to try this and very disappointed. Looks great in the glass, tastes bland. No complexity at all. I will try one more to see if this is a dud. (160 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured half a bottle into my snifter.

A - Dark amber with a yeasty head. The most chuncks I have ever seen floating around in a beer. (I left an ounce in the bottle so I didn't pour all the sediment from the bottom)

S - Smells like apple juice.

T - Tastes Like carbonated hard cider.

M - Sweet, full flavored.

D - I could barley finish it. Not one of my favorites. I enjoyed the Rochefort 10 much more. (409 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

11.2 oz. bottle. Picked this up in KC, MO. Not available here in Wichita. Label is stamped "25 12 07" which I assume is the best-before date.

Appearance: This was a deep brown beer with washed out red highlights. The tan head maintained at around one finger during my slow pour. It was coarse and fizzy, disappearing rather quickly. There was no lace left behind on the glass.

Smell: Dry husky malt, light caramel, cherries, and warm, round alcohol made up the bulk of the aroma. There was an old, musky oak smell as well. Kind of washed out and bland overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth.

Taste: Almost as boring as the smell, but not quite. Dry chocolate or cocoa combined with candied fruits and hints of tart cherries. On the finish, a big vodka-like alcohol flavor rose up and dominated. That was it.

I realize that this is a short review, but there just wasn't anything else going on with this beer to describe. What was there was uninspiring. (977 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a rochefort goblet.

murky deep brown with an inch of bubbly tan head. retains well and falls into lumpy peaks. some sediment along the bottom; managed to leave most of it in the bottle.

astringent alcohol aroma. some fruity malt sweetness with a touch of bread and butter.

flavor is surprisingly weak. as a huge fan of the 10, this is a bit of a shock; flavor is astringent, bitter, and oddly empty. bit of a sweet aftertaste; a bready brown sugar flavor. sharp carbonation gives it a soda-like mouthfeel. i'm hitting the bottom of the glass and finding little else to note. oddly enough, i prefer the 6 and the 10 to this one. (664 characters)

33cl bottle poured into a Grimbergen Chalice

Bottle ref L311012

A- Mahogany body with garnet highlight. Lots of sediment poured in. 2 finger tan head reduces instantly. No lacing and no head retention at all.

S- Light cocoa note, hint of vanilla. Very subtle though, this only really came through as the beer warmed up.

T- Subtle notes again. Cocoa comes through but i cant really pick out anything else before the dry finish and alcohol kick.

M- High carbonation, cola like levels!

D- 2nd Rochefort beer i have had and 2nd time im completely underwhelmed. I realise this is an older bottle but at 9.2% abv i would expect it to hold up and have some complexity retained. To me this is over carbonated, bland with a noticeable alcohol kick on the tongue. Ill need to hunt down a fresh bottle, looking at other reviews of these beers, im not drinking the same ones. (869 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -31.5%

This 33cl was served to me in a martini glass, which I'm hoping was the precursor for this lackluster review.

Body was a rich maple syrup brown, with a nice fluffy head which eventually settled to a suddy film. The aroma for me was very faint - which I'm hoping was due to the glassware. Hints were primarily on the sweet malty side.

The taste, though complex, just didn't appeal to me. I got notes of sweet candy, alcohol, and a nuttyness I felt was out of place. The finish also brought in some grassy hops, which I felt to be quite stale. Brew had a medium body feel, and was quite sticky.

ehhh... Underwhelmed. I loved the 10 - and with this having better reviews, I think it's ultimately one I'll have to revisit. (722 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured bubbly, smells malty, cherries, alcoholic, and lemony. Coagulated, chunky dregs in the bottom of the bottle.

Strong oxidization flavor dominates, I've never had anything like this before. Then it tastes like buttery caramel, burnt toast, and lemon. Something slightly spicy, what is that oxidized flavor... turmeric? garlic? olives? Tastes like when I used to suck on my zipper, or put my tongue against a battery (without the tingles). Slight salt and clay.

Expected something more pleasant after all the rave reviews! Interesting though. Wouldn't buy again now that I've satisfied my curiosity. (605 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31%

A: Dark brown red. Thin off-white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Dark fruits, bread and yeast. Not as assertive as I was expecting.

T: Taste follows the same footprint but treads a little heavier. Figs, cherries, thick breads and yeast. Some booze.

M: Heavily sedimented... I just couldn't get the damn yeast to stop f'ing with my tongue.

D: Suffers from the heavy sediment and a blunted nose/flavor all around... Will have to try again, in case this was a defective bottle... Just didn't feel right... what a downer (515 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Expiration Date April 2008, Sampled January 2004
Pours a beautiful ruby color. It is vry highly carbonated, which creates a thick creamy light brown-tan head. Aromas of dark fruit, rum, a certain spiciness, faintly musty, and alcolohol are all to be found in the nose. The taste is lightly sweet up front and finishes with a kick of alcohol. This beer has a light body considering the strength (as is characteristic of many Belgian beers), though it is perhaps is on the thin side.

This beer does not even come close to the character & depth of either the 6 or the 10 from Rochefort. A bit dissapointing really. There is some dark fruitiness in the taste, but it is somewhat muted, and there is a musty, perhaps wet cardboard, flavor, which makes me think that perhaps this beer has been mistreated. I can't quite place it as oxidation damage though. This beer should be strong enough to shrug off any rough treatment it recieves during importation though. I will definitely have to try another sample later for a rerate. (1,025 characters)

Pour from 330 into tulip. Head flew up and over pretty big, but dissipated very quickly. Fig, raisin, other dried fruits in aroma. But the taste was much more complex. Spicy, earthy, and the candy sugar taste gave the sense of licorice. I think that was the off-putting aspect for me. I spent the rest of the glass trying to focus on isolating aspects of the complexity - there are notes of malt to savor, notes of yeast to savor, hops to savor. But the licorice profile kept dominating. Got in my head and I couldn't get it out. (530 characters)

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Westmalle goblet. Bottle was dated/coded 230310. The body was a dull, light mahogany/prune juice color. Head was minimal due to the gentle pour. A creamy modest cap remained throughout the drink.

Smell was spicy and fruity. Figs and plums.

Taste was of alcohol and sweet dark fruits. ETOH burned in the throat (mild). Zucchini bread. Grain-like.

Mouthfeel was full and zesty. (426 characters)

A-murky chestnut with a really thin light tan head. possibly a red tint

S-dark cherries, caramel, and burnt sugars. strong scent. slightly unbalanced leaning towards a lot of caramel.

T-comes in with a very burnt and fairly bitter taste of dark belgian malts. there's also a taste of buttered dark fruits and alcohol. its a very unbalanced taste that just doesn't flow well at all. the alcohol dominates the after-taste with butter and only a touch of caramel and plums.

M-heavy carbonation with a semi-dry finish

O-doesn't quite hit the spot like i was hoping. i went in to this beer really wanting a good dark belgian, but now i don't think i'll be wanting another one for quite some time. its definitely a complex beer, but its just way too harsh and unbalanced. its not something i'd recommend or get again. (815 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -29.6%

Sampled on 12-16-08

Pours a super-cloudy orange/brown, with a thin off-white head that lasts forever. A few yeasty chunks escaped and made it into the glass.

Smell is boozy, very wine-like, lots of fermented fruit and little bit of sour malt. Never-ending, and very complex.

Taste is very yeasty, a little old, and very thin. A bit of roasty malt at first followed by watery, off flavor.

Mouthfeel is super carbonated, fizzes in your mouth. I wonder if this bottle is past its prime.

Drinkability is no good because the flavors are not good.

Overall, very disappointing. I hope it's better the next time I try it. (619 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

11.2 oz. bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Dark brown with a thin tan head that stays for a while.

S - Sweet but a little sour. It almost smells like wine that's gone bad and has turned to vinegar.

T - Constant tingle on the tougne. Spices and some fruit but very mild.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation.

D - I'm not really as impressed as the hype had been built up for it. I will have to try another and edit my review in case this was a bad bottle. With all of the good reviews and how little I'm givig this it has to be a bad bottle. (544 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

bottle with a best before date of july 31 2007

A: poured with a very little head that died quickly and ended with a very subtle ring around the edge of the glass. very dull amber, to the point of slightly cloudy.

S: very belgian dark fruit, sweet raisins, with a strong molasses. slight alcohol, similar to a cognac, but more earthy along the lines of a gin or almost subdued pimm's.

T: starts with a watered down maple syrup, the with a light bite of lemon/lime, with a lingering eraser molasses sweetness. there is a very subtle smoke throughout the taste, more so at the end.

M: watery at first followed buy a surprisingly bubbly feel for the age of the beer.

D: glad that i tried a rochefort 8 of this age; but i think they are much better and way more enjoyable at a young, maybe six month, age. it was definitely worth the wait and experience to be able to try one this old.

p.s.
after adding the sediment there is a nice added body with a slight added doughy like texture, but still very subdued to the point of almost wateriness. (1,056 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes 4/18/10. Tasting of Rochefort 6, 8 & 10.

11.2oz brown glass pry-top. (141014 08:04)

Pours a clear medium brown. No red hues and bright looking. Head is 1 inch cream tan and leaves some spotting. Similar head to the 6 but slightly taller. First smell is something like lavender soap. A swirl brings up dark nutty aromas (almonds, walnuts with skin on). I think the soap notes are an interaction between the hops and something like nut oil. Sage note.

Body is ramped up but not sweet. The strange soapy thing continues but is interrupted by sharp, astringent hops and some acid. (Have concerns about this bottle.) Alcohol is prickly and flavors are floral but wrecked by the hops/alcohol/acidity.

Very sharp and astringent. Borderline flaw area.

Made a note to try again later. My least favorite of the 3 Rocheforts. (837 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance- Transluscent amber with an off-white head. The head has some staying power, and leaves a very thin lacing.

Aroma- Lots of complex malt sweetness. Getting some dark ripe fruit; plums, raisens, molassas. Yet oddly crisp and fresh smelling. Very enticing.

Taste- Practically no malt sweetness. A strange dryness in the middle, like figs or soemthing. Some prune in the after-taste to A slightly hot and spicy finish. Obviously, a more attenuated version of the "6".

Mouthfeel- A td over-carbonated. Body is rather thin. Fairly dry. Clings to the mouth well, giving you a robust after-taste.

Drinkability- It's interestig, but the spiciness and over-carbonation turned what was a good beer into a mediocre one. (730 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -25.2%

Appearance -- Poured into a tulip glass. Color is a hazy brown with 3 fingers of nice head. Tetention fades after some time. No significant lacing.

Smell -- Banana & some apple. Maybe clove. Some malt.

Taste -- Much like the nose.Mostly faint banana and some spice. As the beer warms....more sweetness is evident. Alcohol is evident and sharp.

Mouthfeel -- Medium thickness. Lots of sharp carbonation. Also; alcohol is a bit too sharp for my liking.

Drinkability -- Honestly, a bit disappointed seeing as this is the top-rated BSDA. Complexity of flavor isn't there and too much carbonation and alcohol. There are others I much prefer. (639 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.9%

Thin head maintained itself. Lacing separated from head, though. Large bubbles. Musty, basement smell and dried fruit in the nose. Color of the caramel sauce you drizzle on a flan. I cannot get over that musty smell. I feel like I'm in the cellar where this bottle was conditioned. It's a good thing.

On the first sip, alcohol burn is right up front and squeezes any other flavors offstage. Spicy, dark rye taste emerges after a few sips. There is some kind of tannin at the end of the swallow and an astringency that lingers down the throat. Seems like everything else is lost in this beer but the booziness. It is 9.2% ABV, after all.

Nothing I would drink on a regular basis, but a certain contender for an after dinner, "digestif" beer. (746 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.9%

Glass- Riedel 6416/07

A- Copper/brown. Huge, rapidly expanding dark beige head persists with some lace.

S- The hayloft of an antique barn: Hay, old wood, saddle leather, funk. Some earth minerals. Touch of dates.

T- Creamy caramel maltiness, brown sugar. Looonnng, lingering sweet & sour malty finish.

M,D- Pleasant, but hindered by an aggressive level of CO2. I will let the next one flatten to a degree first. (415 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort