Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,758 | Reviews: 1,835
3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

From a small 330 ml brown bottle, green cap with an 8 on it.

Pours out a deep opaque brown, large nutmeg tinted head which drops to a 1 finger thick spongy cap. Aroma of fruitcake and citrus, especially tangerine rind, along with raisins, and a sweet battery malt.

Definitely more impressive flavour than the 6. Fig, dates and alcohol up front, and a long warm undercurrent of alcohol throughout. Sticky dark malts in the middle, which takes a turn towards spice towards the finish, and finishing with slightly charred wood, even a touch of peat. A rummy, oaky aftertaste that is quite pleasant, like having a shot of scotch to wash down a mouthful of Christmas cake. The mouthfeel is smooth but light, surprisingly light for the appearance and the bold flavours.

A pretty solid Belgian, I'd sample it again at a later date, but not as spectacular as all the hype has built it up to be.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

This pours a dark cloudy orange brown with a giant tan foamy head. The smell has a citrus hoppy aroma with yeast and dark fruit scents. The taste is dark fruit, citrus fruit, Belgian yeast,and a strong alcohol flavor. The m/f is medium with a balance of flavors thats perfect. This is an outstanding beer that shouldn't be missed.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: A dark brown color with a slightly darker than tan pillowy head,that rose up quickly and fell to maintain a quarter inch throughout the remainder of the review. Didn't produce much laceing.There are quite a few yeast floaters among the hazed liquid.

Smell: The aromas are of tyipcal Belgian yeasts,wood accents,a strong alcohol,citrusy grapefruit and some nice dark fruits as well.

Taste: Right off the bat,the alcohol almost stings the back of the throat.Then the Belgian yeasts come in strong along with that citrusy grapefruit as described in the aromas. A sweet raisin malt is detected with nice subtle hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: I love these Belgian ales that are spritzy in the mouthfeel. The alcohol creates these fumes that seems to excape my throat each swallow. Medium bodied with high carbonation.Very nice.

Drinkability: This is definitely on "Cheers2Beers" top Belgian ales list. If you have not had this one,I strongly recommend it.

Cheers2Beers

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Enter the green cap Rochefort: 8, at 9.2%. Exact same bottle and label as the rest except the green coloured cap and number 8. I am anticipating this one as much as I did the 10. Here we go.

This poured out into my chalice a touch lighter than the 10, showing more ruby and brownish deep red hues. Light purple in some light. The head is a fine layer of bone-white foam, consistent and solid, leaving screens of lacing. The aroma follows the pattern of the 10. The difference is more sourish dark malts here, pronounced more under less alcohol than the 10. The 8 seems a little more spicy as well, prehaps cinnamon or tree bark. Big hits of phenol and alcohol from the 9.2%, and light hints of ground coffee and dark bready malting. All the dark fruits are here, though less noticeable than in the 10. There are some leafy green smells in here too: celery, lettuce and roasted green pepper. Hits of charcoal above the rim. The aroma is always creamy and a bit lactosy with a sweetness akin to raisins. A complex aroma, though not quite on par with the 10 for sheer variety of aroma. Woody tastes at first in the mouth, followed by a big hit of warmth from the alcohol and intense spiciness combined. The finish is very malty and bready, like a handful of barley. There is a perfumey character to the whole taste, as well as a spritzy hair-spray bitterness from the alcohol. Some sourish malts at first too, and the best of the beer's taste is on the middle of the tongue, where the sweet malts combine with a delicate carbonation and a little bitterness. A bit of saltiness in the aftertaste, and very strong grainy/woody tastes. The carbonation seems a little higher than the 10. The beer warms the innards quickly and nicely. Full-bodied, though not extremely thick in the mouth. The 9.2% is masked well and this presents an extremely drinkable strong Belgian dark ale. Fantastic, but not quite as inspiring as the 10 for me.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

This was sitting in my "cellar" and I use that term loosely for several months and I just couldn't let it sit any longer. Poured it into my snifter, and it immediately sprouted a huge foamy tan head which lingered for several minutes. The body was dark brown, small bubbles about the glass and plenty of sediment at the bottom. The aroma was extremely complex, plenty of malts, over-ripe bananas, yeast and bread/biscuits, alcohol, coffee, slightly sour fruits, and a small ammount of chocolate at first which grew more intense as it warmed. I could have sat there smelling it for a lot longer.
The taste was full of carbonation at first, but hit you with alcohol and dark fruits up front. Very malty still but with a lot more yeast, almost a gingerbread-y brown sugar taste. Over-ripe bananas yes, but beyond that I didn't get the sweet or tropical fruits others seem to find.
The motuhfeel was equisite; somewhat acidic at first, but very smooth afterwards, glides over your tongue and lingers pefectly. You can almost still taste the brown sugar on you lips after every sip. There is a lot of alchol taste but you wouldn't guess 9.2 % abv. Finishes out with a completely different feel than it starts with, but each taste is complex and wonderfully balanced.
You definitely sip this beer; no, you partake in this beer. A few are more than enough. The alcohol could mess with your ability to truly enjoy all facets of this beer after 2 or 3. This is simply one of the best, if not the best Belgian Strong Darks I've ever had.

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Highs: Appearance, complexity
Lows: Complexity

OK, I must admit I was a bit overwhelmed going into my first fabled Trappistes offering. It certainly proved to be a unique experience.

From the 11.2 oz. bottle, pours caramel brown with a two-finger brown-tan head that fades at a moderate pace leaving a medium to heavy amount of lacing that lasts until the bottom of the glass. There is definitely some alcohol on the nose, which at 9.2% isn’t much of a surprise. Other than that, I just picked up some hops. Now the taste was simply overwhelming. The complexity is really too much to put into words for me. As such, it is both an asset and a detractor for enjoyment, at least for an amateur such as myself. There are some hops in there, but beyond that—just too much going on to say. The mouth is great—not too thick and not to thin, lightly carbonated and yielding a refreshing and highly drinkable character. The finish is for lack of a better word, watery with a note of alcohol.

Overall: Simply too complex for me; give it a try yourself and see.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance – This beer is an opaque dark brown with a resemblance to mahogany. There is a decent amount of very light brown head with is very frothy and sticks around. No lacing on the glass.

Smell – Very nice and so fruity. Prunes, dates, and dark grapes arise with touches of spice and sugar. I could not stop sniffing this one.

Taste – Up front there is a nice sweetness which is accompanied by some spice and alcohol. The dark fruits appear as in the smell with the additions of pears and plums. There is also that dark sweet maltiness combined with Belgian yeast which makes this beer absolutely wonderful to swoosh around the mouth.

Mouthfeel – Very high carbonation which hits hard as this type of beer should. This one has enough body to makes it feel great as well.

Drinkability – This is a sipper for sure as it has strong robust flavors. It is well balance however which just makes it that much easier to enjoy.

This is among my favorite beers to date. Drinking this was an absolute experience.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

The Swedish monopoly store Systembolaget just started to sell Rochefort 8 and 10 in April, 2006. All the 10s was sold out before lunch so I had to be content with 8. Well, it wasn't a "down-buy" as we say in Sweden. It poured with a generous and creamy latte colored foam. The color was dark, nutbrown and the smell sweet and fruity. I found the taste a little surprising since it tasted of licorice. Although there was no alco taste it was definately chest warming. Great mouthfeel. Actually, I found it pretty similar to Traquair's Jacobite.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Trappists Rochefort pours a murky brown which won’t let any light through. The head is fluffy looking, tan in color and holds for a very long time. Smells like dark fruits, banana and rum.

Smooth. Damn smooth. It is a little spicy, but not too much. It tastes of apple and fig. Definitely a hint of phenol, but again, not too much. It is a warm beer with hints of grain and bread and brown sugar.

This beer is very complex. Lots going here, but perhaps a little too sweet. Very good, even better when cellared. Try it if you can get your hands on it. Watch out for that ABV though, it can kick you in the butt if you aren't carefull.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy ice tea color while unleashing a huge, dense head. Aroma is of candy sugar, fruit peel and pears. This brew glides in harmony with the palate. Super smooth and silky yet very active in carbonation to give the body some attack. Taste begins with banana and other fruit tinges while spicy notes lend balance to the fruit wave. Alcohol presence weaves in and out lending the spice note, but it is never intrusive. This is top notch stuff. Definitely something to sip and savor.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a cloudy dark chestnut brown with a mountainous tan head that eventually falls to a thick half-inch. Aroma is malty and sugary, some light yeast and cola elements that I can't quite place.

Taste is roasty, malty sweet (but not saccarine). Some dark fruits, raisins, earthy elements. Slight shades of candy sugar and yeasty flavors, musty like an old basement, a very faint trace of bubblegum. Finish is dry with no flavors of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, crisp and well-carbonated. Good, but lacks the greatness of its #10 cousin.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Initially pours a mostly clear deep reddish brown color with a half-inch of fluffy tanish foam on top. There are quite a few bubbles rising to keep the head frothy. The head was still going strong a few minutes into the beer...nice!

Aroma: Deep rich dark chocolate and a tad of roast along with a whole bunch of subtle fruit flavors. I get black cherries in particular, but there are also a little plums along with a toastiness that smells like it is slightly burnt toast. As it warms a touch, there is a bready character coming out from the yeast to add to the complexity.

Taste: Really clean yet rich flavor. There is a whole lot going on in this one. I can get a noticeable chocolaty roast presence, but it isn't a huge part of the profile like it is in a Porter. There are lots of bready and toasty notes to fill out this beer. The balance is (I believe) balanced toward the sweetness the entire time. There is a noticeable alcoholic presence that makes itself known as a spicy undertone rather than as an an alcoholic heat. The alcohol itself is really smooth and only warms you up from the inside.

Opinion: Man, now this is a good beer! My wife isn't really a beer drinker, but I gave her a sample of the Rochefort 10, and she exclaimed "How can anyone not like this beer!?" I agree, and think that this statement describes this beer...excellent! I tell you now that I will drink this beer any chance I get until I am stinking drink. This (and the 10 especially) are phenomenal beers and one that you absolutely HAVE to try!

A beautiful color of forest fire in Fall. Pleasing aroma of berries, fruitcake, brandy soaked malts (But not fully, just partially) along with a touch of banana. Chewy malt profile with notes of sweetened dark fruits (plums, grapes), along with a hint of chocolate and toffee. A lovely beer overall. This was my staple, my session beer while I was in Belgium and at 2 Euros a bottle can you blame me?

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pillowy tan head blows up to 3 fingers if your not careful. Sediment falls to the bottom of a dark brown clouded brew.

Malts goodness is amazing, almost cake like in that they are sweet and some caramel but also a doughy breaded batch of fresh plain doughnuts...tender and tasty. Alcohol is not shy at all and fits in just right. The lingering spicy aftertaste is long lasting and powerful for some time. I get some sweet dark fruits that round this out.

Notes: this is one well rounded brew with incredible complexity. You could throw in a ton of adverbs to describe this and I don't think one could argue much with ya.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured a hazy amber with a small head that dissipates quickly into a nice lacing.

S: malty, fruity, alcohol

T: malty, fruitiness, spices with a fairly smooth finish with a touch of hop bitterness. I can definitely taste the alcohol.

M: smooth almost creamy, lightly carbonated

D: It is very complex, and I enjoyed it. I will definitely buy some more. However with the high ABV, I'm not sure how many of these I could drink in a night.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%

A - A murky amber brew with a small quickly vanishing head. Lacing clings intensely to the glass.

S - A lot of caramel malt and candied sugar with a bit of a pomegranate an coconut odor, both very faint, they mesh surprisingly well.

T - Dates, prunes, lillies, and a boat load of alcohol. Not as sweet as I had expected from the odor. A lightly bitter aftertaste with a touch of lingering sweetness and alcohol.

M - Froths up intensely in my mouth. Moderately smooth, very very creamy (from the frothing) and fairly refreshing.

D - Okay. It isn't quite the aromatic kick in the face that is the 10, it is enjoyable, but highly overrated. Unsessionable. I had it with some lime and pepper perch and haddock. The Rochefort brews are easily the most overrated on the market.

3.55/5  rDev -18%

A: Pours a hazy brown with a bit of fine sediment. A big head forms on the pour and quickly subsides to a thick frothy layer.

S: Aromas of port, dark fruits, and a bit of alcohol. The overall smell is smaller than anticipated.

T: Metallic and salty. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Full-bodied, but lighter than the Rochefort 10. The alcohol provides a nice warming effect in the finish. Carbonation is on the lively side.

D: Both the Rochefort 8 and 10 are , in my opinion, overpriced and overhyped. I've had beers that are 50% cheaper than these that I would rather drink. I don't see myself trying these beers again.

3.55/5  rDev -18%

33cl bottle drunk from my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Off-white creamy head unevenly punctuated by large bubbles diminshed in about 2 minutes to a thin white foam on top of the pour. Beautiful dark mahogany color, nearly opaque.

Aroma: Caramel, sugar, raisins, plums, chocolate. One of the most appetizing aromas I've found in a beer.

Taste: Malty sweet, lots of chocolate and raisins. Slight alcohol taste, the serving temperate could be a factor here, as I drank it only barely chilled.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation gives this beer a little too much bite. Slight alcohol burn, but again, serving temperature could be a factor.

Overall: Pretty good, but I feel the drinkability of this beer was negatively affected by its carbonation level.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Just after the 6.
BB 5-10, still a little fresh I guess.
Appearance is a little poor, lively, not lasting, but according ABV not unuseal. Most barley wine don't produce must of a head.
Like 6 nice smell, almost equal; candy-sugar, some raisins, spicy, even a bit malty and certainly port.
Taste: initial taste bitter/light sweet containing hop bitterness, medium full body.
Mouthfeel: warm alcoholic, bit dry, normal carbonation. Aftertaste: spicy and hoppy.
Drinkability: very good brew, enjoy one, drink the second later.
My local shop has plenty on the shelf, lucky me!

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into my St. Bernardus goblet.
Best before date: 23 03 10

This is my first sample, into the world of Trappist beers. I must admit, that I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure if I would like this style or completely hate it. Well, my review will show that I wasn't disappointed.

Pours a very dark, burnt, amber color,hazy. A nice one finger creamy tan head. Some yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Average amount of lacing, that wants to cling to the glass. Decent aromas, of malt, spices, fruits and alcohol. Nothing is overwhelming, everything seems to blend together very well. Super smooth taste and mouthfeel. Incredible!!! Lots of malt flavor, spice, and hint of smoke. Very easy to drink! Enjoyable to say the least. I didn't realize how smooth this brew is. I could drink this all day!! I'm sure the alcohol would get me, but I don't even know its there. Except for the smell.

I must say, I totally love this beer. Very refreshing, and a joy to drink. I can see why most people rate this style of beer so high. Looking foward to trying the Rochefort 10.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%

11.2oz bottle from pentathlete as part of the OneBox BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1" beige head above the clear reddish burgundy brew. Pillowy head is not going anywhere, period, and lacing consists of heavy foam bits all over the place. Aroma is spicy yeasts with an undercurrent of malt sweetness. Taste is what the nose indicated, but with more balance between the grain and spiciness, and a lingering flavor of same following swallow. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, and drinkability is excellent, especially for the abv. This one lives up to the hype.

It is always tough to review a Trappist ale. They are primitve in the sense that they are all brewed from the same simple ingredients yet they are brewed to such a standard that they embody the all the traits of beer brewed in past centuries without recourse to fancy adjuncts or processes. They have a yeasty, fruity taste to me coupled with a malty sweetness that includes dried fruits and some honey and candy, This brew is no exception. A true sipper I enjoyed this brew over the course of an hour amd each sip remained a treat.

Color was deep mahogany/opaque with a long lasting tightly knit tan head.

Aroma was fruit and yeast notes with some caramel and honey.

Taste was complex. Fruity and sweet as well as tart and vinous. Little hint of the alcohol.

Felt surprisingly light on the palate for the gravity.

Very drinkable. Will definitely buy again.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Chimay chalis from the bottle.
A: Pours a deep brown color with a frothy, light brown head. Lacing is good. I poured some of the yeast out of the bottle and it sat on top of the head the entire time I drank.
S: Chocolate, alcohol, fruits (I think mango? maybe?)
T: Fruity, pear like flavor. Toasted wheat and alcohol with some mild hop presence in the end.
M: So smooth, perfect carbonation. Sublime.
D: Why is Rochefort so good?? So complex. I would love to drink this all night. I almost recommend the 8 as much as the 10, and that is saying something. Buy it if you see it.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Murky, muddy brown color with shades of oak. Rather porous, off-white head that leaves an intricately patterned sheet. Sponge-like, dense ringed lacing with good strength.

Milk chocolate and caramel. Tart, ripe, vinous fruit esters: apple, cherry. Underlying musty, candied sugars. Complex whaffs of alcohol.

Great combination and balance between rich, smooth milk chocolate/toffee flavors and hints of acidic, ripe fruit. Musty, distinctively active yeast strain. A powdered, candied sweetness that doesn't mask a slightly thin, watery feel at the finish. Rich, caramel aftertaste with a hint of alcohol.

Medium bodied; rich, creamy. A bit too much carbonation, and slightly watery at times.

This one is a pleasure. Deeper flavors than I would've expected, for a Belgian ale that is powdery and slightly thin.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

Finally available in Texas. I don't have a Rochefort glass but I guess a Chimay will do.

Pours out a dark brown, a little tan at the edges, with a finger's worth of tan foam atop it. Aroma is superb! Fruity, sweet, with a gentle spiciness that reminds me, oddly, of pesto, with its peppery basil and nutty pinenuts. Gentle malt flavor at the start, with a tangy, candy-like fruitiness and more hops than I expected, drying it and providing a grassy subflavor. Alcohol is lightly tasted near the end. Nice soft texture and good body.

World-class beer!