Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,825 | Hads: 4,835
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a cloudy ice tea color while unleashing a huge, dense head. Aroma is of candy sugar, fruit peel and pears. This brew glides in harmony with the palate. Super smooth and silky yet very active in carbonation to give the body some attack. Taste begins with banana and other fruit tinges while spicy notes lend balance to the fruit wave. Alcohol presence weaves in and out lending the spice note, but it is never intrusive. This is top notch stuff. Definitely something to sip and savor. (489 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a cloudy dark chestnut brown with a mountainous tan head that eventually falls to a thick half-inch. Aroma is malty and sugary, some light yeast and cola elements that I can't quite place.

Taste is roasty, malty sweet (but not saccarine). Some dark fruits, raisins, earthy elements. Slight shades of candy sugar and yeasty flavors, musty like an old basement, a very faint trace of bubblegum. Finish is dry with no flavors of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, crisp and well-carbonated. Good, but lacks the greatness of its #10 cousin. (543 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Initially pours a mostly clear deep reddish brown color with a half-inch of fluffy tanish foam on top. There are quite a few bubbles rising to keep the head frothy. The head was still going strong a few minutes into the beer...nice!

Aroma: Deep rich dark chocolate and a tad of roast along with a whole bunch of subtle fruit flavors. I get black cherries in particular, but there are also a little plums along with a toastiness that smells like it is slightly burnt toast. As it warms a touch, there is a bready character coming out from the yeast to add to the complexity.

Taste: Really clean yet rich flavor. There is a whole lot going on in this one. I can get a noticeable chocolaty roast presence, but it isn't a huge part of the profile like it is in a Porter. There are lots of bready and toasty notes to fill out this beer. The balance is (I believe) balanced toward the sweetness the entire time. There is a noticeable alcoholic presence that makes itself known as a spicy undertone rather than as an an alcoholic heat. The alcohol itself is really smooth and only warms you up from the inside.

Opinion: Man, now this is a good beer! My wife isn't really a beer drinker, but I gave her a sample of the Rochefort 10, and she exclaimed "How can anyone not like this beer!?" I agree, and think that this statement describes this beer...excellent! I tell you now that I will drink this beer any chance I get until I am stinking drink. This (and the 10 especially) are phenomenal beers and one that you absolutely HAVE to try! (1,551 characters)

A beautiful color of forest fire in Fall. Pleasing aroma of berries, fruitcake, brandy soaked malts (But not fully, just partially) along with a touch of banana. Chewy malt profile with notes of sweetened dark fruits (plums, grapes), along with a hint of chocolate and toffee. A lovely beer overall. This was my staple, my session beer while I was in Belgium and at 2 Euros a bottle can you blame me? (400 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pillowy tan head blows up to 3 fingers if your not careful. Sediment falls to the bottom of a dark brown clouded brew.

Malts goodness is amazing, almost cake like in that they are sweet and some caramel but also a doughy breaded batch of fresh plain doughnuts...tender and tasty. Alcohol is not shy at all and fits in just right. The lingering spicy aftertaste is long lasting and powerful for some time. I get some sweet dark fruits that round this out.

Notes: this is one well rounded brew with incredible complexity. You could throw in a ton of adverbs to describe this and I don't think one could argue much with ya. (627 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Poured a hazy amber with a small head that dissipates quickly into a nice lacing.

S: malty, fruity, alcohol

T: malty, fruitiness, spices with a fairly smooth finish with a touch of hop bitterness. I can definitely taste the alcohol.

M: smooth almost creamy, lightly carbonated

D: It is very complex, and I enjoyed it. I will definitely buy some more. However with the high ABV, I'm not sure how many of these I could drink in a night. (449 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -23.1%

A - A murky amber brew with a small quickly vanishing head. Lacing clings intensely to the glass.

S - A lot of caramel malt and candied sugar with a bit of a pomegranate an coconut odor, both very faint, they mesh surprisingly well.

T - Dates, prunes, lillies, and a boat load of alcohol. Not as sweet as I had expected from the odor. A lightly bitter aftertaste with a touch of lingering sweetness and alcohol.

M - Froths up intensely in my mouth. Moderately smooth, very very creamy (from the frothing) and fairly refreshing.

D - Okay. It isn't quite the aromatic kick in the face that is the 10, it is enjoyable, but highly overrated. Unsessionable. I had it with some lime and pepper perch and haddock. The Rochefort brews are easily the most overrated on the market. (783 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Pours a hazy brown with a bit of fine sediment. A big head forms on the pour and quickly subsides to a thick frothy layer.

S: Aromas of port, dark fruits, and a bit of alcohol. The overall smell is smaller than anticipated.

T: Metallic and salty. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Full-bodied, but lighter than the Rochefort 10. The alcohol provides a nice warming effect in the finish. Carbonation is on the lively side.

D: Both the Rochefort 8 and 10 are , in my opinion, overpriced and overhyped. I've had beers that are 50% cheaper than these that I would rather drink. I don't see myself trying these beers again. (626 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

33cl bottle drunk from my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Off-white creamy head unevenly punctuated by large bubbles diminshed in about 2 minutes to a thin white foam on top of the pour. Beautiful dark mahogany color, nearly opaque.

Aroma: Caramel, sugar, raisins, plums, chocolate. One of the most appetizing aromas I've found in a beer.

Taste: Malty sweet, lots of chocolate and raisins. Slight alcohol taste, the serving temperate could be a factor here, as I drank it only barely chilled.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation gives this beer a little too much bite. Slight alcohol burn, but again, serving temperature could be a factor.

Overall: Pretty good, but I feel the drinkability of this beer was negatively affected by its carbonation level. (752 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Just after the 6.
BB 5-10, still a little fresh I guess.
Appearance is a little poor, lively, not lasting, but according ABV not unuseal. Most barley wine don't produce must of a head.
Like 6 nice smell, almost equal; candy-sugar, some raisins, spicy, even a bit malty and certainly port.
Taste: initial taste bitter/light sweet containing hop bitterness, medium full body.
Mouthfeel: warm alcoholic, bit dry, normal carbonation. Aftertaste: spicy and hoppy.
Drinkability: very good brew, enjoy one, drink the second later.
My local shop has plenty on the shelf, lucky me! (579 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into my St. Bernardus goblet.
Best before date: 23 03 10

This is my first sample, into the world of Trappist beers. I must admit, that I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure if I would like this style or completely hate it. Well, my review will show that I wasn't disappointed.

Pours a very dark, burnt, amber color,hazy. A nice one finger creamy tan head. Some yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Average amount of lacing, that wants to cling to the glass. Decent aromas, of malt, spices, fruits and alcohol. Nothing is overwhelming, everything seems to blend together very well. Super smooth taste and mouthfeel. Incredible!!! Lots of malt flavor, spice, and hint of smoke. Very easy to drink! Enjoyable to say the least. I didn't realize how smooth this brew is. I could drink this all day!! I'm sure the alcohol would get me, but I don't even know its there. Except for the smell.

I must say, I totally love this beer. Very refreshing, and a joy to drink. I can see why most people rate this style of beer so high. Looking foward to trying the Rochefort 10. (1,100 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +5.1%

11.2oz bottle from pentathlete as part of the OneBox BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1" beige head above the clear reddish burgundy brew. Pillowy head is not going anywhere, period, and lacing consists of heavy foam bits all over the place. Aroma is spicy yeasts with an undercurrent of malt sweetness. Taste is what the nose indicated, but with more balance between the grain and spiciness, and a lingering flavor of same following swallow. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, and drinkability is excellent, especially for the abv. This one lives up to the hype. (602 characters)

It is always tough to review a Trappist ale. They are primitve in the sense that they are all brewed from the same simple ingredients yet they are brewed to such a standard that they embody the all the traits of beer brewed in past centuries without recourse to fancy adjuncts or processes. They have a yeasty, fruity taste to me coupled with a malty sweetness that includes dried fruits and some honey and candy, This brew is no exception. A true sipper I enjoyed this brew over the course of an hour amd each sip remained a treat.

Color was deep mahogany/opaque with a long lasting tightly knit tan head.

Aroma was fruit and yeast notes with some caramel and honey.

Taste was complex. Fruity and sweet as well as tart and vinous. Little hint of the alcohol.

Felt surprisingly light on the palate for the gravity.

Very drinkable. Will definitely buy again. (874 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Chimay chalis from the bottle.
A: Pours a deep brown color with a frothy, light brown head. Lacing is good. I poured some of the yeast out of the bottle and it sat on top of the head the entire time I drank.
S: Chocolate, alcohol, fruits (I think mango? maybe?)
T: Fruity, pear like flavor. Toasted wheat and alcohol with some mild hop presence in the end.
M: So smooth, perfect carbonation. Sublime.
D: Why is Rochefort so good?? So complex. I would love to drink this all night. I almost recommend the 8 as much as the 10, and that is saying something. Buy it if you see it. (596 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%

Murky, muddy brown color with shades of oak. Rather porous, off-white head that leaves an intricately patterned sheet. Sponge-like, dense ringed lacing with good strength.

Milk chocolate and caramel. Tart, ripe, vinous fruit esters: apple, cherry. Underlying musty, candied sugars. Complex whaffs of alcohol.

Great combination and balance between rich, smooth milk chocolate/toffee flavors and hints of acidic, ripe fruit. Musty, distinctively active yeast strain. A powdered, candied sweetness that doesn't mask a slightly thin, watery feel at the finish. Rich, caramel aftertaste with a hint of alcohol.

Medium bodied; rich, creamy. A bit too much carbonation, and slightly watery at times.

This one is a pleasure. Deeper flavors than I would've expected, for a Belgian ale that is powdery and slightly thin. (823 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

Finally available in Texas. I don't have a Rochefort glass but I guess a Chimay will do.

Pours out a dark brown, a little tan at the edges, with a finger's worth of tan foam atop it. Aroma is superb! Fruity, sweet, with a gentle spiciness that reminds me, oddly, of pesto, with its peppery basil and nutty pinenuts. Gentle malt flavor at the start, with a tangy, candy-like fruitiness and more hops than I expected, drying it and providing a grassy subflavor. Alcohol is lightly tasted near the end. Nice soft texture and good body.

World-class beer! (556 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Excellent appearence; beautiful lacing that stays in the glass and sticks to the side. very dark caramel in color, pours beautiful.
Brown sugar, vanilla, fruity, malty, and, rich scents. tastes of brown sugar, cinamon, raisins, chocolate, and spices. very sweet rich drink. It would be good to drink with a dessert. the carbonation is alright and the mouthfeel is malty/slightly coarse which isnt bad at all. I like this beer a lot. definitely something that everyone should try. Not a Rochefort Ten, but damn good. (516 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Sampled through the efforts of Murrayswine and UTBIF.

Poured in to my Duvel Tulip I get a near clear walnut brown colored ale with a tall tan head that is about Duvel strength.

Smell is quite appetizing. Lots of brown sugar and fig Newton’s aroma in the first sniff. Deeper aromas of vanilla, oak, chocolate, coriander, black pepper, nutmeg, and that is about all I name.

Taste is mildly sweet with a big hit of chocolate at the beginning. Black pepper and spiciness are the next things that hit my tongue. Banana and chocolate seem to mingle in the taste. Not bad but I keep expecting more flavor from this one.

Mouthfeel is quite full and very creamy.

Not bad at all but a bit throttled back in flavor for my tastes. Having said that there aren't that many beers that are better than this. Still this is no Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or.

Review #900 by the way only 100 to #1000. (898 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle poured into goblet.

Pours a dark brown with deep amber hues. Cap was huge right off and had to let settle a little to finish pouring. Cap is tan that leaves very nice lacings along sides of glass and created caverns as it fell. Smell is very potent with lots of fruity maltiness and brown sugar. Figs and raisins. Alcohol is very evident in nose. Reminds of a port. Alcohol taste is very evident just like the nose. Taste is very sweet with lots of fruit and like a rum ball or spiced cake. Hops has a mildly bitter finish to help mellow the sweetness and tone down the alcohol. Body is medium with a crisp amount of carbonation. It finishes a little on the dry side but leaving lots of flavor lingering. I will have again! (733 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Ppoured a crimson almost brown ale with a thick rocky, tan head that stayed around for a long time a left ample lace on my Chimay Chalice. The aroma is sweet and full of dark fruits with a touch of spice, reminds me of a malty sweet holiday fruitcake. The flavor is very malt oriented and it has a strong malty sweetness in the beginning that is balanced by a light, yet noticeable, clean spicy hop bitterness and a toasty malt flavor. It segues into a fruitier drier malt flavor towards the end and it finishes with a balanced sweet/toasty malt flavor and a bit of hop bitterness to lend it a clean quality. It has a noticable alcohol level and it warms the belly nicely. This ale would be very drinkable if it was milder yet that would make it boring so I think for what it is it's drinkabilty is as high as you can get with this high of alcohol level and flavor. (865 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.1%

11.2 ounce bottle ($5.99 ouch!), with some sort of dating(?) that I can make no sense of. Pours muddy medium brown, with a long lasting tan head and leaving moderate lacing. Nose is mildly of cola and brandy. This is a full flavored brew, lots more cola flavors as well as figs and brandy. Cant say this is my favorite, I recognize the quality and intensity of this creation, just too much cola sweetness going on here. Worth trying this quality brew, but drinkability is not super high, IMHO (492 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Dark hazy brown with huge tan head . Settles slowly and remains at 1/8 in. Replenishes as it warms up. Looks great.
Smells earthy, malty.... lot of yeast..hint of alcohol.
Tastes doughy,slightly spicy, yeast and malt...hint of alcohol showing up more as it warms....barely sweet...no bitter.
Mouthfeel is really smooth and pretty carbonated...lighter in density than it looks.
Very drinkable.
This was a treat. (415 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a dark, cloudy,reddish/brown. Slight tan head.

Aromas of spices, hazelnut, bready, yeasty,musty grassiness. Sweet malt and dark fruit aromas as well.

Taste is very complex. Smooth, sweet, chocolatey malt taste with nutty, spicey characteristics. Slight hop bitterness brings it all together.

Mothfeel is incredibly smooth, malty and fizzy. Definite alcohol warmth is noticeable. (394 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%

330ml bottle

Appearance: Dark murky amber in color with tons of sediment. Lots of head leaving lacing.

Smell: Some fruity aromas mixed among some malts and bread smells.

Taste: The malts are apparent and sweet and some hops deliver some bitterness to it, although seemingly not a whole lot. The taste is super complex and every sip you can pick out different stuff, so fruits and spices too. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, accompanied with the awesome smell, frothy head, and complex taste.

Drinkability: Very warming, the alcohol is not so apparent but I can feel it after I finished it. Personally one if plenty for me.

Overall it was a great beer. Not my favorite style and I admit I know very little so far of this style but this is one of the better examples I have had. I would give it another tasting. (842 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -7%

Bottled dated best by 6/2010. Poured into a tulip with a quickly rising, mountian, jello-like head, which lasts half way through the glass. Lacing is laid down in sheets. First sniff reveals pears, granny smith apples, a hint of caramel, and the faintest hint of hops.

The flavor is very similar, exhibiting light fruits, and a slightly astringent malt character. Much drier than I anticipated. Nicely balanced all around, and almost tastes like it's already been aged for a few years... makes me wonder what a couple years would do for it. I'll have to go back and but some more. Mouthfeel is creamy and full with aggressive carbonation, and begs for another sip.
Drinkablility I'd say is high, it hides the alcohol fairly well, and is quite well balanced. (763 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort