Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,842 | Hads: 4,941
3.81/5  rDev -11.4%

A – Pours with a very large head that falls quickly. It bubbles like it is still alive. The beer is cloudy brown about the color of cola. It is obvious that it was bottle conditioned since there it seems as though the cloudiness comes from yeast. It looks like a brown ale. Some brown stuff settled on the bottom of the glass, it can't be yeast its too dark.

S – It smells fruity and sweet with notes of toffee and caramel. It has an acetone like smell underneath.

T – Tastes of toffee and carmel with a slight wine flavor. Slightly acidic tasting. Very sweet for such a high alcohol beer. This isn't something that I would have multiple of, which is a good thing considering the price.

M – The beer feels medium in body with a prickly bubble feel in the mouth. Maybe a tad too carbonated. Could just be the individual bottle however.

O – A very, very interesting Belgian ale. Like nothing I have ever had before. This is my first introduction into the Trappistes. Originally was going to rate a 3.5, but then I wanted another one so I'll give it a 4.0.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pous a chocolate color with lots of carbonation. There is quite a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle so thank goodnes I was paying attention. The carbonation quickly escapes the beer, forming a huge tan head of foam. As the drink is quaffed, the head receedes leaving behind a lot of lace. The flavor and aroma are both very complex. I don't even know how to properly define the flavors. A beer like this makes a person want to get trained in sensory analysis. The beer is quite heavy with a good creamy and warming sensation as it goes down. This is a very good beer!

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

A - More translucent than most Belgian Strong Dark styles. Thin bubbles layer the top.
S - Being a newer home brewer I can smell residual sugars from the dark belgian candi sugar.
T - Yeasty. Sugars are delcious. Is this alcoholic? Oh yes there it is.
M - Effervescant and carbonated. Great balance.
D - Why do they only make this in small bottles? I'd like a keg please.

Not a big fan of the sediment at the bottom. I know it's kind of a novelty and it's not bad for you but it bothers me towards the end of a glass.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Just a first rate Belgian in every way. Wonderful smell, and unlike so many beers, the taste matches up to the smell. The alcohol is well-hidden, but the mouthfeel encourages you to sip and savor. This beer would be the top-shelf flagship offering of almost any other brewer, but amazingly it runs a close second in its own house to Rochefort 10.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Served in tulip at nearly room temperature (no thermometer today).

A: Huge fluffy head, a very light pinkish brown in color. Body is a deep molasses. Quite a sight. Head settles to a thin covering.
S: Cherry flavored bubble gum, some caramel.
T: A wondrous concoction to be sure. Fennel, caramel, cherries, and some flavors that I just cannot place at the moment.
M: I had forgotten how great this felt in the mouth, perhaps unbeatable. Super creamy but not without a tangyness and carbonation to keep the tongue alive.
D: Yes yes and yes.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. Appearance is very similar to the Rochefort 6, cloudy amber with some sediment, however the 8 has better retention on the head. The nose on the 8 is also much more robust, with belgian yeast and dark fruits. After a few sips, caramel, brown sugar, and alcohol are the primary flavors that jump out. Also notes of spice and coffee. Mouthfeel is thinner than the 6, with a medium carbonation. Drinks nice and smooth, with a touch of warming from the alcohol. A great beer!

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

The ole Trappistes Rochefot numero Ocho! Dug the hell out of numero diez, so I think I'm gonna enjoy this one, as I hear this one's a bit more on the bubbly side.

Pours into a nice cider rich look that makes you feel nice and comfy. *looks around for snuggly blanket and lights fireplace* Anywho, the head didn't last very long, and continues to dissipate as it sits; nothing to write home about.

Like his bro, number 10, this beer smells divine. Led by a pungent fruit that makes you want to sip immediately. Really a strong and alluring scent that most should enjoy. And by the looks of the reviews...they do!

Yep, it's bubbly, and delicious. I think Wine *burp*...raisiny - in that vicinity...I want to say sour apples. Nevertheless, you know of it's reputation, and it delivers.

The carbonation and fizzy feel is something I love, but you may not. As I drink I reminisce about warm gatherings, romance, intimacy....fig newtons. It has a lovely sting that feels...ohhh, old school and slightly refreshing.

This is a beer you want to drink. This is a beer you want to share with people. It's high alcohol content brings smiles fast, it's welcoming look, smell and taste will have brows raising. This is a beer that you'll look forward to having time and time again. Instantly became one of my favorites, and makes me want to go back to big brother number 10 to see if I missed something.

Smell: sweet and somewhat "smooth" smell; dried fruits, some almonds, some spices (almost like Orval?).

Taste: sweet taste of dried fruits (raisin, plum), almonds and sugar, and figs as well. Some bitterness, but this beer has a soft and smooth character, except for the alcohol.

This is great stuff, but the alcohol is a bit annoying.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

had this at my local spot last night during a short session trying some of the belgians on their list that I hadnt tried or had forgotten. Holy cow did this one stand out!

The smell was a little subdued at first but it was served a little too cold. Once it warmed it really opened up. The taste was incredibly complex with Belgian sweetness weaving in and out of a host of other flavors

Typically, the high ABV would temper my drinkability rating but honestly, this stuff was so drinkable that its dangerous.

A true revelation for me I will be coming back to this one again and again.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

L: Dark, chocolatey tar colour - dark brownish murky black. Tan hat, which stays thick and creamy for a long time - perfect, about 1-1½ fingers thick.

S: Rich and fresh. Hint of raisins and some alcohol. Somehow a bit smokey, like fine tobacco in a good pipe.

T: Belgian(!), sweet yet powerful. More attitude than the classic dark abbey ale you expect from a belgian brew. Sweet first sip and a very gentle finish. Really fine flavour and a feeling of relaxation and content. Dark fruits, plums. Complex and hard to describe but it sure is satisfying.

F: As mentioned before: very satisfying and smooth.

D: Easy and nice to drink, yet not as easy as other belgian dark ales (Gulden Draak comes to mind). I like this one, it's more of a classy beer. I always recommend and let people taste my Rochefort stock at nice parties and most people find it very exciting and spicy. Some have even said exceptional. It's one fine beer, it sure is one of my top 5 at the moment.

Serving: from bottle into a tulip glass

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

From an 11.2 oz into tulip:
Amber in color with a two inch off-white head that dissipates after several minutes. Slight lacing.
Smells like toasted grain and malt; like I'm smelling boiling wort. Mild caramel and biscuit also.
Taste is very nice, mostly grains and malt with some alcohol, sweetness, and walnut.
Mouthfeel is great. This isn't heavy and goes down smoothly.
Drinkability is also very good, though the alcohol hinders it a bit.
Overall, a very good beer that makes a nice treat, and a good change of pace from the hoppy West Coast IPAs I've been having lately.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

A-Dark reddish brown with 1" off white head that quickly settled out.

S-Plums,raisins, a little malt. Slight scent of alcohol.

T-Wow. A lot going on here. Sweet fruit flavors, mainly plums and raisins. Picking up some maltiness. Almost no alcohol flavor considering this is 9%ABV.

M-Very smooth. On the creamy side with plenty of carbonation

O-Awesome beer. One of my favorites. So complex and smooth.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a Spiegelau Belgian glass.

A: A lovely dark brown with tinges of red. A nice thick head. Significant strong and resilient head.

S: Earthy notes, pine, spices, malt malt malt. Lovely wonderful aroma.

T: Big malts and lovely spices. Nice sweet body and hints of coffee. Good strong caramel flavor on the top. Wonderfully balanced, lacking any bitterness. Very yeasty, lots of Belgian flavors. Not as complex or robust as the 10, but still a very lovely drink.

M: Rich and smooth, perfectly balanced. Excellent drinkability.

O: As expected, not as good as the 10. But still better than most other beers. Thick, hearty, malty, powerful and wonderfully balanced. A+.

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: deep, dark burnt orangish brown. 3 fingers worth of a tan head with tight champagne bubbles. Totally opaque. Massive carbonation coming off the bottom.
Smell: bright cherries and raspberries, some sweet and slightly sour notes, some caramel, sugary bread notes, just tons of fruit and malty sweetness.
Taste: very pleasant and complex herbal flavors, sweetness isn't cloying but binds the flavors together nicely. There is a nice breadiness with a little hint of yeastiness, a malty sweetness. Unfortunately those fruits that I got in the nose isn't present in the taste but there are plenty of other good things going on in this beer.
Mouthfeel: very smooth. More towards the full end of medium.
Overall: this is a very tasty beer and deceptively easy to drink. The smell alone was fantastic. I didn't find it terribly complex but that didn't detract from the great flavors that are present.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark opaque amber, almost brown. One-inch head that dissipates quickly. Head is cream colored with small bubbles.

S - Prunes, malts, hints of citrus.

T - Very sweet and malty with no bitterness.

M - Rich and creamy with some alcohol burn.

O - One of my favorites. The sweet and malty taste is very pleasing.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

A - 4.0
Sediment city. Dark Caramel.

S - 3.5
Smells a tad boozy. Maybe a little figgy.

T - 4.5
Figs, boozy taste like the smell. Dry, much dryer than the Chimay Blue. Saki in the flavor? More fig.

MF - 4.5
Great carbonation mouth play.

D - 3.0
One is good for me. I really don't see myself drinking more in one night.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle into my Duvel Tulip

A: Dark brown almost black. Thing white head that quickly dissapates

S:Cocoa, spice, yeast, plums. A very complex nose. Makes me want to just stick my nose in for a long time, but then I couldn't taste it.

T: The yeast character takes the front with a spicy, clovey, with a slight pepperyness. Then the malt background catches up with the cocoa and dark fruit character.

M: Medium body which for the ABV makes it scary easy to drink.

O: Excellent world class beer. I liked the other too Rocheforts and this one stand head to head with its peers.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Smell: pure cream and subtle maraschino cherries

Taste: slightly burnt Belgian waffles with maple syrup and topped with fresh picked, extremely ripe, blueberries with chocolate sauce on top; chocolate mousse whipped cream would be on the side

This is my favorite Trappist ale and should be paired with the finer things in life, such as filet minion, smoked goose, aged white cheddar and black grapes, and thanksgiving dinner

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a dark brown, with a nice white head. Smell is sweet, floral, with some chocolate and cherry. Creamy mouthfeel and wonderful taste. I get some caramel, a sweet aftertaste. Drinkability is low because of high ABV. Went nicely with a big grilled steak. A wonderful brew from the monks I continue to admire.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance: It has a huge tan head and a pretty redish brown body. Great lacing.

Smell: Fermented fruit like raisins and rye bread come through. I have a cold though...

Taste: Alchohol. Wow I don't know. It's definitely one of the strangest tasting beers I have ever had. It's sorta like brandy almost really. I imagine this would be great with a nice fatty ribeye!

Mouthfeel: Thick and soft followed by some alchoholic bite: excellent.

Drinkability: This is a beer I would only drink one of not just because it costs way to damn much in the States but it's really thick. I mean I guess it's like a stout but I don't drink many of those often. It has twice the alchohol though...so

Nota bene:
I think you have to pour this differently cause the head rises on itself way after you pour it.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

A clear dark brown brew together with a hard frothy lightbrown head. Quite foamy really and leaving a little nice lace. Fruity malt nose w/ apple and yeast. The taste is slightly bitter but fruity w/ raisins and spice. At 9.2% abv you can obviously sense the alcohol a bit and it warms nicely in the stomach. ;)

In some sense I was disappointed with this one, it's certainly a really good brew but this is what a high rating does. I'd recommend everyone this but don't expect anything over the top and you will like this alot!

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a wonderful dark mahogany color with a nice fluffy head. Smell is very strong, fruity and sweet, a little bit spicy. The alcohol can be detected.

The taste of this beer is very complex much like the nose. There are hints of fruit and chocolate. It is also very spicy. Hard to describe, but like no other beer I have had. The mouthfeel is very full and has the proper amount of carbonation.

Not a session beer (which isn't a bad thing necessarily) , but a wonderful beer to sit with and contemplate. Definitely worth seeking this one out. I know I will again.

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

Aroma - Malt sweetness. Nutty, estery (rasin, plum) with a pronounced yeast aroma. The aroma is not very strong. I'm having trouble picking out specifics in the aroma with this beer. As the beer warms a bit I get more of the alcohol aroma, and a hint of dark sugar.

Appearance - Dark brown with red highlights. Pours with very slight haze and a 1/2 finger light tan head. Good head retention.

Flavor - A little malt sweetness with a high presence of alcohol. The raisin and dark sugar carry through. Again the yeast is a prominent note in this beer. Much to my disappointment the alcohol is a very dominating flavor. Looking under the alcohol, the malt and yeast are very nice flavors. I only wish the alcohol was less apparent.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. High carbonation. Well balanced between bitter and sweet. Some alcohol on the swallow.

Overall Impression - This beer was a bit of a disappointment for me. Even for a beer at 9% ABV I am quite surprised at the amount of alcohol in the flavor because there is little detected in the aroma, and mouthfeel. Being able to tolerate hot beers this is drinkable, but I would only buy again once in a great while. This beer doesn't have the wonderful
complexities that I've come to know and love from Rochefort. As noted from another review, the yeast spice and the alcohol doesn't really work for me.

Rochefort 8 poured very heavy and there was much yeast and sediment in the bottom of the glass after it settled. This did not deter me. One of the best smelling beers I've had thus far. The taste was phenomenal and reminded me of what beer was meant to taste like, very yeasty and hearty. I should also mention that the buzz this stuff gives you is great. It leaves you feeling goddly. Thank you Trappist Monks!

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle tasted was about 7 months old (if best-before date is 5 years after bottling).

Pours a dark brown, looks murky even though I kept the yeast in the bottle when pouring. About 1 cm head (in Orval glass) that stays for a while. Lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

Smell is toffee, malty, milkchocolate. Nothing too heavy.

Taste: wow, reminds me a lot of chocolate flavoured soy icecream. Sweet, lots of cocoa and some malts/cake taste. Creamy. Then some tutti-frutti, at least the dried plums and apricots, after that a light bitterness. There's a lot going on, and the flavours complement eachother really well. After a bit of warming up in the glass there's a lots more fruit, and the chocolate fades a bit to the background. Aftertase is fresh, slightly bitter and more soy icecream.

Mouthfeel is really enjoyable. Just thick enough, creamy, and with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Despite the 9.2% of alcohol and the darkness of the beer, this is remarkably fresh and balanced, while still very complex. The best of it's kind I've had by far.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort