Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,758 | Reviews: 1,835
4.09/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: deep, dark burnt orangish brown. 3 fingers worth of a tan head with tight champagne bubbles. Totally opaque. Massive carbonation coming off the bottom.
Smell: bright cherries and raspberries, some sweet and slightly sour notes, some caramel, sugary bread notes, just tons of fruit and malty sweetness.
Taste: very pleasant and complex herbal flavors, sweetness isn't cloying but binds the flavors together nicely. There is a nice breadiness with a little hint of yeastiness, a malty sweetness. Unfortunately those fruits that I got in the nose isn't present in the taste but there are plenty of other good things going on in this beer.
Mouthfeel: very smooth. More towards the full end of medium.
Overall: this is a very tasty beer and deceptively easy to drink. The smell alone was fantastic. I didn't find it terribly complex but that didn't detract from the great flavors that are present.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

A - 4.0
Sediment city. Dark Caramel.

S - 3.5
Smells a tad boozy. Maybe a little figgy.

T - 4.5
Figs, boozy taste like the smell. Dry, much dryer than the Chimay Blue. Saki in the flavor? More fig.

MF - 4.5
Great carbonation mouth play.

D - 3.0
One is good for me. I really don't see myself drinking more in one night.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Glassware-Tulip

A-Dark reddish brown with 1" off white head that quickly settled out.

S-Plums,raisins, a little malt. Slight scent of alcohol.

T-Wow. A lot going on here. Sweet fruit flavors, mainly plums and raisins. Picking up some maltiness. Almost no alcohol flavor considering this is 9%ABV.

M-Very smooth. On the creamy side with plenty of carbonation

O-Awesome beer. One of my favorites. So complex and smooth.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle into my Duvel Tulip

A: Dark brown almost black. Thing white head that quickly dissapates

S:Cocoa, spice, yeast, plums. A very complex nose. Makes me want to just stick my nose in for a long time, but then I couldn't taste it.

T: The yeast character takes the front with a spicy, clovey, with a slight pepperyness. Then the malt background catches up with the cocoa and dark fruit character.

M: Medium body which for the ABV makes it scary easy to drink.

O: Excellent world class beer. I liked the other too Rocheforts and this one stand head to head with its peers.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

AGED FOR OVER 6 MONTHS

Smell: pure cream and subtle maraschino cherries

Taste: slightly burnt Belgian waffles with maple syrup and topped with fresh picked, extremely ripe, blueberries with chocolate sauce on top; chocolate mousse whipped cream would be on the side

This is my favorite Trappist ale and should be paired with the finer things in life, such as filet minion, smoked goose, aged white cheddar and black grapes, and thanksgiving dinner

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a dark brown, with a nice white head. Smell is sweet, floral, with some chocolate and cherry. Creamy mouthfeel and wonderful taste. I get some caramel, a sweet aftertaste. Drinkability is low because of high ABV. Went nicely with a big grilled steak. A wonderful brew from the monks I continue to admire.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: It has a huge tan head and a pretty redish brown body. Great lacing.

Smell: Fermented fruit like raisins and rye bread come through. I have a cold though...

Taste: Alchohol. Wow I don't know. It's definitely one of the strangest tasting beers I have ever had. It's sorta like brandy almost really. I imagine this would be great with a nice fatty ribeye!

Mouthfeel: Thick and soft followed by some alchoholic bite: excellent.

Drinkability: This is a beer I would only drink one of not just because it costs way to damn much in the States but it's really thick. I mean I guess it's like a stout but I don't drink many of those often. It has twice the alchohol though...so

Nota bene:
I think you have to pour this differently cause the head rises on itself way after you pour it.

Without adoubt, the best beer I've had n 2010! The smell reminds me fine French Champagne, doughy änd soft. The taste is simply magnificent, toasty, malty, it simply hits all the right chords. Mouthfeel is very smooth but not dull or flat . I would drink it every day if I could afford its steep price.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

A clear dark brown brew together with a hard frothy lightbrown head. Quite foamy really and leaving a little nice lace. Fruity malt nose w/ apple and yeast. The taste is slightly bitter but fruity w/ raisins and spice. At 9.2% abv you can obviously sense the alcohol a bit and it warms nicely in the stomach. ;)

In some sense I was disappointed with this one, it's certainly a really good brew but this is what a high rating does. I'd recommend everyone this but don't expect anything over the top and you will like this alot!

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Poured a wonderful dark mahogany color with a nice fluffy head. Smell is very strong, fruity and sweet, a little bit spicy. The alcohol can be detected.

The taste of this beer is very complex much like the nose. There are hints of fruit and chocolate. It is also very spicy. Hard to describe, but like no other beer I have had. The mouthfeel is very full and has the proper amount of carbonation.

Not a session beer (which isn't a bad thing necessarily) , but a wonderful beer to sit with and contemplate. Definitely worth seeking this one out. I know I will again.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Aroma - Malt sweetness. Nutty, estery (rasin, plum) with a pronounced yeast aroma. The aroma is not very strong. I'm having trouble picking out specifics in the aroma with this beer. As the beer warms a bit I get more of the alcohol aroma, and a hint of dark sugar.

Appearance - Dark brown with red highlights. Pours with very slight haze and a 1/2 finger light tan head. Good head retention.

Flavor - A little malt sweetness with a high presence of alcohol. The raisin and dark sugar carry through. Again the yeast is a prominent note in this beer. Much to my disappointment the alcohol is a very dominating flavor. Looking under the alcohol, the malt and yeast are very nice flavors. I only wish the alcohol was less apparent.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. High carbonation. Well balanced between bitter and sweet. Some alcohol on the swallow.

Overall Impression - This beer was a bit of a disappointment for me. Even for a beer at 9% ABV I am quite surprised at the amount of alcohol in the flavor because there is little detected in the aroma, and mouthfeel. Being able to tolerate hot beers this is drinkable, but I would only buy again once in a great while. This beer doesn't have the wonderful
complexities that I've come to know and love from Rochefort. As noted from another review, the yeast spice and the alcohol doesn't really work for me.

Rochefort 8 poured very heavy and there was much yeast and sediment in the bottom of the glass after it settled. This did not deter me. One of the best smelling beers I've had thus far. The taste was phenomenal and reminded me of what beer was meant to taste like, very yeasty and hearty. I should also mention that the buzz this stuff gives you is great. It leaves you feeling goddly. Thank you Trappist Monks!

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Bottle tasted was about 7 months old (if best-before date is 5 years after bottling).

Pours a dark brown, looks murky even though I kept the yeast in the bottle when pouring. About 1 cm head (in Orval glass) that stays for a while. Lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

Smell is toffee, malty, milkchocolate. Nothing too heavy.

Taste: wow, reminds me a lot of chocolate flavoured soy icecream. Sweet, lots of cocoa and some malts/cake taste. Creamy. Then some tutti-frutti, at least the dried plums and apricots, after that a light bitterness. There's a lot going on, and the flavours complement eachother really well. After a bit of warming up in the glass there's a lots more fruit, and the chocolate fades a bit to the background. Aftertase is fresh, slightly bitter and more soy icecream.

Mouthfeel is really enjoyable. Just thick enough, creamy, and with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Despite the 9.2% of alcohol and the darkness of the beer, this is remarkably fresh and balanced, while still very complex. The best of it's kind I've had by far.

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%

This is an impressive beer. Purchased this one 2 Christmas's ago. I bought a few of these at LCBO at the time with a lady friend, and left them at her place. I made sure I got these bottles back at my place before I stopped seeing her. I am glad I got this beer back.

Exceptional appearance because the head was roaring. The yeast leaves cocao like sediment on the top of the head. I had put the dreds with the rest of the glass instead of throwing it out. Smells earthy, phenolic, but decently mellow. The taste is of a mellow earthy tone, like wood and mushrooms if I must compare it to something else. The alcohol is not too evident, if it were not for the 9.2% labeled on the bottle I woudnt' have known. The aftertaste has got some fruity or plum like flavour. When I exhaled after drinking this beer I could feel the ethanol coming out along with some like "vanilla" like flavour. This drink is potent in alcohol but more so in the complexity of flavours.

This is definately drinkable. Why stop such a good thing.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Dark brown with specks of yeast floating around. Nice big foamy head that goes down in a ferw min.

S: alcohol is strong right off the bat. I smell vague spices as well.

T: Malty as hell! You can taste the alcohol big time in this great brew. It has a spicy character throughout, though there is a great sweetness to it. It finishes with a clove and spicy alcohol flavor.

M: Medium bodied beer, with a great CO2 level.

D: Strong, but I could put a few back no prob. It keeps you wanting more. I will have to get another few cases soon!

Note:
This beer tastes great if you use it to make a stew. The results were great!

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

330ml. bottle in a 16oz. Imperial Pint glass.
A vigorous steady pour filled the glass with a spectacular 2 finger frothy tan head that rapidily diminshed to a solid, bubbley 1/4" that lasts through the glass. Insignificant lace.

I could smell this beer BEFORE I ever tasted it or put it to my nose....
Alcohol & spiced rum, coffee, raisins, prunes, honey, sugar, BROWN SUGAR!, warm fresh baked breads or cake, remarkably complex & inviting but hard to separate. There's alot happening here.

Cloudy, dark tea colored. Sparkling columns of pin head bubbles. A few small floaties. This beer glitters in the glass.

TEFLON TASTE: Incredible & slick ~ equally complex & appealing:

Coffee, caramel, plums, raisins, ripe bananas, chocolate, sharp spices & piney hops, dark berries & creamy, nutty, pudding like malts.

Not too sweet on the lips, not too hoppy, with a carbonation tingle & a slow fade to a warm, spicey finish. Alcohol warms through the swallow.

This beer is NARCOTIC!

It came highly recommended & I wasn't disappointed. As I explore different styles this
particular offering stands out head & shoulders above my recent samplings. I'm getting more & I'm gonna cellar some.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Vive les trappistes! One of my favourite beers from Belgium is from Rochefort Brewery.

I have very similar experience with Rochefort Trappistes 10.

Appearance (4): Dark brown, beautiful in the glass.

Smell (3.5): Strong, spice, fruit.

Taste (4.5): Sugar with strong fruit taste. Wonderful.

Mouthfee (4): Very strongly carbonate at first impression, even surprising a little at first. Followed by light sweetness.

Drinkability (4): I would not want to wake up after few bottles given the high volume of CO2 with almost 10% of Alc.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this lovely up at Dorignac's. Will see to it that Martin Wine Cellar has this soon.

Consume by June 19, 2007. Whoops -- jumped the gun again.

Appearance: Very good. Pours a hazy orange/brown (apple cider) with a lovely head into my tulip.

Smell: Very good. Spices (Clove nutmeg). Fruit. (Fig, plum, raisin).

Taste. Very good. There's that fruit again. Some chocolate and coffee. Slight bitterness at the end attributed to carbonation and hops.

Mouthfeel. Sublime. Melts in the mouth like a piece of chocolate.

Drinkability. Great. I could drink these sweet bad boys all damn night. Whoa. Wait a minute. There's the alcohol.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

A: The appearance was a nice solid brown color, with a cream colored head. Didn't have the proper glassware to pour into, so I had to use a regular pint glass.

S: Smelled of fruits and some fairly sweet flavors.

T: The taste was out of this world. I rated it a 5 for a reason. I'm very impressed with how this developed in my mouth, and made me want my next drink even more than the last. An almost bittersweet blanket was on the back end of my pallet at the end.

M: The mouthfeel was full bodied, but carried over the bittersweet blanket.

D: This beer, was amazing, and if it wasn't $7.00 for 11.2 FL OZ, I'd surely drink this more often. However, you get what you pay for, and this beer, I'm more than willing to pay more for.

Overall, if you can get your hands on it, which I know you can if you try, please do yourself a favor and grab it and savor it. Cheers.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle at home on May 21, 2010.

Pours a brown color. Head is thicker and creamier than the 6, which was tried just prior. Deeper tan color, better lacing.

Big fruit smells.

Great flavors of caramel banana bread. Lots of different things going on here.

Mouthfeel is somewhere between frothy cream and light syrup.

Dangerously drinkable at this ABV. Great complex brew. Could easily put a few back and enjoy each.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured out of a 33 cl bottle.

Appearance: Dark orange/red color with extremely thin lace.
Smell: Very alcholic smell with a hint of pear.
Taste: Extremly malty with hints of fruit. In some ways reminds me of fruity spirits (the good ones).
Mouthfeel: Very smooth,nothing to complain about.

Overall: I feel like I am missing something when I drink this. I guess that being a newcomer to beer may explain this but while I recognize that this beer is very good I can't say it has stood out for me.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

pours a deep red-brown, you know typical of this style. lots more foam that with the 10 though. incredibly rich smell.
taste-malty goodness, sugar, sweet, extremely deep and complex. just damn good.
mouthfeel perfect. drinkability excellent. ive had the 10 lots of times but this is my first try of the 8..its hard to say this one is lacking in any way, these Rocheforts are simply some of the best damn beer you will ever put in your mouth.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bouteille de 33 cl.

Bière brune opaque offrant une mousse veloutée et persistante. Apparence quasi-irréprochable.

Odeurs chocolatées et fruitées. Certains arômes de gâteau sont aussi perceptibles.

En bouche, la Rochefort 8 est impresionnante. Un sucré agréable mais pas trop présent est immédiatement perceptible. Des goûts de fruits (figue, prune?) sont ensuite mêlé à une agréable pointe chocolatée. Excellent !

La Rochefort 8 dissimule à merveille son % élevé d'alcool. Bière hors du commun.

Served in a Westmalle chalice at 12 degrees Celsius

A: dark red brownish, almost no head, slight to no lace.

S: Brown sugar, spices, dark sweet malts, bread.

T: Sweet, bitter, kind of buttery taste, the alcohol it's very present, raisins.

It's a very good beer kind of strong for me the alcohol make me feel like I'm drinking a hard liquor, but it's a round beer that it's going to need a couple of tries before the final verdict.

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%

330ml bottle into Chimay chalice because I don't have a Rochefort one. Best by 4-7-15, enjoyed on 8-25-2010. 1cm light tan head quickly reducing to thin layer of bubbles. Hazy brown color with light purple tint. Maybe the width of the chalice is adversely affecting the perception of clarity.

Aroma of raisins, fresh pine needles and pine bark, toasted cracker/bread, just a hint of charcoal smoke somehow too. Taste initially grapefruit and light pepper, then dried figs, dates, and sweet malt slowly pop up and lasts through a drying bitter aftertaste on the roof of my mouth.

Carbonation feels very crisp but passes quickly, a bit like a quick shot of grapefuit soda. Finishes feeling very nicely balanced. The 9.2% ABV is superbly hidden in the flavors and lingering aftertaste. This would be quite drinkable except for getting plastered from the high ABV. Great stuff, which there had been more than just 1 bottle left at the store when I got it!

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort