Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,815 | Hads: 4,792
4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

I write this the morning after a session last night with 5 bottles of this excellent beer.

Where to start? This is a rich, complex, treacly, perfectly balanced, strong dark ale with a hop aroma perceptable behind the strongly chocolate flavour.

And the alcohol fumes (it's a 9 percenter after all!) remind you that this is a real drink... It's not like (for example) a Duvel which can sneak up on you without warning. I'd forgotten just how good this beer was.... it had been in my cellar for at least a year which might have helped. (540 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to glass

Appearance - Dark brownish red head. Had a thick off white head. Some carbonation

Smell - Complex, has some dark fruit, raisins, some herbs, yeast is present

Taste - Sweet, herbal taste, dark fruits are predominate, yeast, alcohol is definitely there. Has a dry finish

Overall - Complex is an understatement. One of the best beers from Belgium. I'm sitting on a couple to see of they age of the coming years (427 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Purchased from Ladd's in Muskegon and drank from a wine glass.

Look: Hazy dark brown, no light escapes, lots of head
Smell: Like a typical dark Belgian beer. Lots of fruit.
Taste: Brown Sugar! This stands out the most. Others are caramel and other spices. There's no alcohol taste to the beer.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Overall: A solid beer that I could see why it's so sought after. Not my favorite Belgium style. But I think I'll work on this style more. (460 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Gorgeous deep orangy Brown with a big foamy head

S: Nice light smell. Spicy and sweet with no overpowering booziness.

T: The alcohol (9.2%) is hidden behind an almost light malty flavor. Sweet but with enough spice to keep it from overpowering the beer. No high in hoppiness and not too boozy.

M- Smooth as butter with enough burn to remind you that you're drinking a real beer.

D- One of the most drinkable beers over 9% I have ever tasted. Absolutely smooth and without a strong alcohol taste. Beer drinkers at all levels could drink this one with relative ease.

The world class reputation matches the flavor. (619 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

If you love Belgian Ales you will love this without a doubt.
It has great taste which I hate to say taste almost like communion wine (Catholics and orthodox's will understand) but has that Belgian ale essence. It is fairly thick when sipped but goes down smooth. It has a bit of a sweet taste to it and not a very over powering after taste. (340 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

I felt like cracking a special beer last night, so I reached for the Rochefort. I don't know if the timing was right, but I really enjoyed this beer. It looked great, smelled delicious, and tasted like a divine dessert.

Appearence- Poured into my Westy chalice. It started with a 2" pillowy tan head but it soon dimished to the point where I could fit the rest of the bottle in. Beer was a Chocolate Lab sort of color. Head had spices in it. My guess would be cinnnamon.

Smell- This is one of those beers that you hold under your nose the entire time. It smelled of raisins, chocolate, cinnamon. . . but at the same time
it wasn't overwhelming or too sweet.

Taste- As above, this is one well balanced, delicious brew. Heavy malt backend with a dry cinnamon finish. I love this one.

Drinker? I could drink this for the rest of my life. Delicious and a great end to a day.

Top 5 material. (904 characters)

Wow these Trappist monks know what they are doing.

Appearance:Dark, can't see through it. One finger head dissipate quickly qhich is expected for a 9.2 abv beer.

Smell: Superb nice and malty.

Mouthfeel: I get a champagne like taste which is typical with a good Trappist ale. Very nice.

Taste: I can't find anything to complain about. Excellent all around.

Overall: Go buy this beer if you have not tried it. If you have tried it I doubt you need to be told to buy it. (474 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 11,2oz bottle into a snifter

A_Beautiful opaque dark mahogany color. Very thick three fingered tan head that dissipates to a one fingered steady cap

S_Like fresh dark real maple syrup, sweet. Semi-sweet chocolate

T_Alcohol is definitely present, very warming, very dark maple syrup taste, chocolate covered coffee beans. Emmen-Thalen swiss cheese fondu. Aftertaste is very much like dark cough syrup.

M_Overall starts off very mellow but ends up a little bit medicinal. Dances on the pallet with decent carbonation considering this dark ale's ABV. Doesn't coat the mouth as much as I thought it would

D_This one is a sipper. The taste isn't very prohibitive but the ABV and the slight medicinal taste is. I don't think I would go for another soon. I will buy it again eventually though (804 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Dark hazelnut brown body, opaque in clarity. High flocculating yeast floaties reside at bottom of glass. Tall, 1'' collar of off-white foam stays throughout consumption.

S - Complex malt character with low phenolic notes, backed by a yeasty aromatics. Mild fruit esters.

T - Sweet malt palate with complementing undertones of phenolic spice from yeast. Grainy yeast character meshes with slight ending bitterness of hops. Alcohol flavor and spice phenolics only complement this Ale.

M - Medium, rich body with high carbonation. Very low warming from ABV.

O - One of the best Belgian Strong Dark Ales, and worthy of being one of the most notable Trappists. (663 characters)

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

There is not a hell of a lot I can say about this one that hasn't already been said. I think it's great but doesn't hold a candle to its big brother. The 10 has more of everthing and is perfectly balanced. This one is just shy of the mark and also has too much carbonation. It's very hard for me to open one if I have a 10 lying around. Why would I choose excellent when I can have extraordinary???

I recently tried the Bernardus Prior 8 and consider that to be the better drop! (479 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Pour a very dark opaque amber with a two-finger head with good retention.

S: Malty with burnt sugar and dates undertones

T: Coriander spice with hints of alcohol and dark fruit. Complex flavorings that includes roasted malts and a plethora of carbonation.

M: Medium bodied, carbonated

O: Delicious for the style. A fine crafted brew that deliciously hides the ABV and very drinkable. Very complex in taste, smell, and feel. Highly recommended (447 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

A - dark amber, creamy awesome head with good retention, slightly hazy

S - dried fruits, toasted malts, caramel, spicy phenols, warm clean alcohol, port wine, slightly minty and other medicinal phenolics

T - Opens very sweet, as you taste it something balances the sweetness, but I cant pinpoint it - alcohol? The finish is initially sweet, but transforms into a dry aftertaste with warming alcohol.

M - high carbonation. The body is fairly thin which balances the big flavors.

O - Very nice example of the strong dark ale style. Sweet initially, but finishes dry - I could far too much of this. This beer is living on the edge as far as noticeable alcohol goes, it works because the alcohol is on the clean and warm side. I personally prefer the alcohol to be even more in the background - but this is nevertheless an awesome beer. (839 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a dark molasses color with an impressive off white, one finger head that is long-lasting.

Smell is candy-like with nice aromas of dark fruit mostly including dates and figs.

Taste begins sweet with dark fruits and a hint of ginger. Not too spicy but not too sweet. A nice blend of sweetness and bitterness with the high ABV apparent but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, and medium bodied that finishes extremely smooth for this style of beer.

After only having a few Dubbels prior to the Rochefort 8, I was rather pessimistic about Dubbels as a whole. However, this beer changes my outlook on Dubbels and would be something I would highly recommend to beer lovers of all styles. (700 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

I finally get to use my Trappistes Rochefort glass for what is made for: drinking Trappistes Rochefort.

Pours a deep, dark brown, permitting light only around the edges, and forming a consistent, light brown head. Visible carbonation and a good deal of sediment was noted. Smelled sweet and grapey. Up front, the taste was neutral followed by a blast of sweet malts, then grains in the aftertaste, with very warm alcohol throughout. Midway through, the hop presence was greater than in other similar Belgians. Towards the end the malts took over again, which was more enjoyable in this case. There was also a tartness to the sweet flavors, reminding me just a tiny bit of sour apples and some berries. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. A good beer, but not my top choice, though I have a feeling that this beer could vary quite a bit from glass to glass. I will certainly be up for multiple tastings. (897 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the reviews here, I'm wondering if I ended up with an older bottle. Plus, I'm new to the hardcore Trappist brews, so I may be missing some of the nuance with said beers. Nonetheless, here goes.

Served in a 330ml bottle, cap already opened by the waitstaff. Poured into a red wine glass (shame on them for not having a proper goblet).

Decent tan head, but I immediately noticed both a dark sediment poured into the bottom of the glass and lighter sediment floating through the beer itself. A second look at the bottle showed some discoloration on the label. I didn't think to look at the expiry/bottling date, but the appearance struck me that this one was sitting around for some time. A dark sediment remained at the bottom of the bottle, and the homebrewer in me thought for a moment of trying to scrape it out and use the yeast in another beer. But that's too much damn work.

The appearance was mitigated by the beer's amazing smell. Sweet bread, some fruit and spice notes, absolutely enticing. I let the beer settle down a bit before sipping, hoping the sediments would fall to the bottom.

At least to my untrained tastebuds, the beer was fabulous. Warm, malty flavors with hints of banana and clove, followed by a warming alcohol that wasn't overpowering but rather complimentary. Coated the mouth perfectly and was eminently drinkable, though I took my time to let the sediment settle after each sip.

So...again, I don't think the sediment was indicative of the style (I've had American-made Belgian dubbles, tripels and others before), and I definitely plan to get another fresher bottle as soon as possible. But that said, I'm quite impressed regardless. And it went amazingly well with the tender roast beef au jus I had for lunch. I imagine it would go down well with just about any decadent meal. (1,820 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tall tulip-shaped glass

A- Pours a hazy dark brown with a good head, and some little floating bits of sediment.

S- An alcoholic smell, with some fruity and sweet smells.

T- Tastes like fruit, reminds me of dates or figs, spice, with some mild alcohol flavor. My dad noted a bit of hops when he had a sip, but I didn't taste that much of a hops flavor, though it is less sweet and heavy than expected.

M- Not super heavy, well carbonated, but definitely not a lightweight.

O- A high quality beer, but is this really one of the best beers in the world? I think I need to drink more beer to know for sure. Still, worth getting and trying out. I would get it again, and now I want to try the other beers from this brewery. Then again, maybe I poured it into the wrong glass, since this glass is a lot taller than it should be. (842 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Slightly cloudy in the bottle when held to the light. Poured into a New Belgium tulip glass. Thick frothy head; cream colored. Medium lacing and fingers around glass and edges. Dark brown in color with less lights looks almost black. Sweet caramel and belgian hops stand out the most to me with the smell. There is a hint of alcohol as well. Unbelievable taste. The cara malts and candy really stand out. It has a bit of a sweet beginning toning out to a mellow middle finishing very refreshing. Not dry or sweet. Definitely begging you to drink more. Lots of carbonation dancing around the mouth tingling the tongue and cheeks. Perfect balance of texture in the mouth. Not to watery or thick; just right. I don't think its quite as good as the 10 but it sure as hell is close. I will just rate them the same. I will say the 10 seems to mask the alcohol a little better than the 8. (881 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Im a belgian fan an this beer is a decent strong beer. As a unique taste, initially cold it was a bit sour aftertaste but quickly dissolved once it warmed.

Had this beer after thr Rochefort 10, so this beer wasnt even in same ballpark. But this beer is quite good

A- (269 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My favorite trappist to- date. The 10 brings too much "tart" while the 6 doesn't seem to be enough flavor. At ~ $5 a bottle... hard to not move on to other great beers, but a great treat to offer a friend out of a frosty goblet... and at 9.2%... you don't need to drink to many to feel content. (294 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

330ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Color is a dark rusty brown. Light test yields a dark caramelesque color. Pours with a bit over 2 fingers of head which slowly settles into a thin ring of foam. Smells very malty and of dark fruits with a lingering hint of alcohol. Initial taste is very malty with strong spices and the same dark fruits. The alcohol is detectable but less noticable than the smell led on. Very good overall. (431 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

This is really an exceptional beer. From the first sip to the last it is very enjoyable. Great hops and a nice after taste. It leaves you craving another and another. The biggest problem was running out before I got my fill. Buy it! Drink it! If you can find it. (262 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a cloudy, dark brown with a big head that goes down a bit but lasts throughout. The smell is rich with dark fruit, spices, and alcohol. The taste is a complex blend of malt, dark fruit, spices and alcohol. A tartness comes in at the end. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with some carbonation tingle. Drinkability is high for a 9.2% ABV. It would be easy to get carried away with this one so you have to show restraint. Overall, a great beer that should be savored. The flavors and smoothness really come out as it warms. (521 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

What a treat! I picked this one up while getting the Mrs. some more margarita mix. Pours to an intriguing murky brown with plenty of carbonation and a finger and a half head that just never went away. MMM suds!

Nice smell, I detect malt, alcohol, a hint of hops, and some sort of spice. I also smell a small whiff of something fruity, plumbs perhaps?

The taste was similar to the smell, starting out with the sweet malt and fruit. The alcohol was a little stronger than expected but it finished with a nice hopy bite.

Mouthfeel was almost creamy with lots of suds. I am a sud fan!

Drinkability was good, I gave it a lower mark because of the ABV. It would only take a few of these and I would be loopy. (714 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Murky brown color with lots of floaters and particles. Decent tan head that stays around for a while.

S: Actually not that appealing. Smells a little like warm macro beer and even a little note of frat house basement the morning after a party. Some alcohol and fruitiness

T: The taste on the other hand is very nice. Alcohol and malts are really smoothly integrated. There is actually a little spiciness up front before the sweet molasses and brown sugar flavors from the malt kick in. Alcohol is present throughout but never overwhelming. There are also some dark ripe fruit flavors.

M&D: Very smooth and pleasing on the palate. A little warming. Extremely drinkable. (676 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

I poured this brew from a bottle into a tulip glass with a duvel style pour. It produced a 3/4 to 1 inch off white/beige head with nice retention atop a tawny brown body. good lacing.

smells malty/sweet upfront with slightly sour/aged background.

tastes like dry sweet sugar crossed with tart dark fruit. but not too sweet.

nice mouthfeel. im not a belgian expert but it starts out a bit thin and finishes with a creamy carbonation combo. it works well.

this is very drinkable. and with the high alcohol content, which really hides itself well, it could really get on top of you. (583 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort