Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,828 | Hads: 4,839
4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle

A: Pours a dark amber with three fingers of fluffy, tanned head that recedes to a half inch with plenty of lacing.

S: Sweet, boozy, and fruity. A nose of ripe banana and fig with blended perfectly with alcohol and some spice.

T: Sugary malts blend incredibly well with the fruitiness. A smooth, long lasting, and slightly dry yeast finish.

M: Creamy, thick, silky smooth goodness!

O- Outstanding! On my way to my local LCBO to clear the shelves while I can. (480 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark opaque amber, almost brown. One-inch head that dissipates quickly. Head is cream colored with small bubbles.

S - Prunes, malts, hints of citrus.

T - Very sweet and malty with no bitterness.

M - Rich and creamy with some alcohol burn.

O - One of my favorites. The sweet and malty taste is very pleasing. (320 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Excellent appearence; beautiful lacing that stays in the glass and sticks to the side. very dark caramel in color, pours beautiful.
Brown sugar, vanilla, fruity, malty, and, rich scents. tastes of brown sugar, cinamon, raisins, chocolate, and spices. very sweet rich drink. It would be good to drink with a dessert. the carbonation is alright and the mouthfeel is malty/slightly coarse which isnt bad at all. I like this beer a lot. definitely something that everyone should try. Not a Rochefort Ten, but damn good. (516 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

A- a beautiful caramel color, brown, with white thick head

S- chocolatey, brown sugar, very pleasant aroma

T- again with the chocolate, yummy, sweet but not overpowering, very good, couldn't taste the alcohol, very well blended

M- good mouthfeel, some carbonation

D- could probably only have about 2 of these in a night before the sweetness got to you

Overall, great beer, it was a pleasant experience and i would buy again (428 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

It's been a looong time since I've had a propper trappist beer so I'm really looking forward for this one. The beer pours a dark brown murky looking liquid with a big head wich slowly fades to a one finger thick lid.

This smells like Belgium to me. Brown sugar, some spices, wet grass and that lovely yeast of theirs.

The sweetness is of brown sugar and dark fruits, plums and figs. It's quite spicy aswell with some herbs. Unfortunatly I am not that good in recognising herbs so I can't name them... It ends with a warm feeling. The sweetness of the dark fruits is very dominant but the beer still has that complex feeling you would expect from a trappist beer.

As I mentioned earlier the feeling is warm (from the alcohol) and very pleasant. Large bubbles in the carbonation.

This beer is quite heavy and hearty. Very enjoyable, but I can't see myself drink more than one this evening. (894 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from bottle. Aroma of fruit. Appearance is a very dark brown with significant tan head. Medium bitter taste with a dry finish. A really great Belgian Strong Ale. (172 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

I picked a bottle of this when I bought a bottle of the 10. I actually liked this one a lot more!
In my Duvel chalice, it pour a darkish chestnut/rubyish color with a very pretty bone/offwhite head. Has a subtler aroma carmelly and fruity with no hint of alcohol.
I sat in sipping this one slowly and really savoring it. As it warms up, boy does the taste get big. Kinda reminds me of how a tube amp takes a while to hit it's sweet spot... I loved the mouthfeel on this one and found it very easy to drink. I will pick up two bottles of this and leave the ten for someone who may appreciate it more than me... (613 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Dark-brown coloured, almost no light shining through, big cream-white head that is turning into a thin head that stays until the last sip

S: Sweet, slightly fruity, a little bit of malt

T: Very sweet, lots of fruit, minimal malt, almost no hoppy bitterness

M: Thick and heavy feeling in the mouth, medium carbonation, not too much, but not feeling flat.

O: This is a very nice, fruity and sweet beer, heavy feeling in the mouth, intense flavours hide the alcohol, probably my favourite of the 6, 8 and 10 of the Trappistes Rochefort beers due to its good drinkability. I like it as a beer after a good meal, or paired with a dessert. (640 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%

Let this one sit in the glass for at least ten minutes, or until it reaches room temperature. Like a fine wine, it really needs to breathe.

Gorgeous orange/mahogany color. A rich, creamy head that lasts forever. Incredibly enticing.

Not much going on in the nose initially, though with time some sweet fruit and malt comes through.

Tastes of bread, caramel, and slightly burnt raw sugar...delicious.

Very smooth, with an appropriate hint of carbonation.

Exceptionally drinkable in the wee small hours. (516 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

This one is odd...

It pours a medium amber colour, a light murky brown with sediment floating about. A huge creamy flowing head. light lacing

smells like a belgian ale, hard to explain. A spicy, breadlike, with a hint of dates or golden raisins.

taste - a bit spicy, not nearly the bite of other belgian ales of this abv (9.20). A tiny bit of breadlike taste. There's something really good in there, I just can't figure out what it is.

mouthfeel - It's perfectly carbonated, medium but very smooth body. Goes down beautifully. A warming feeling in the mouth too, cuz of the alcohol.

Drinkability - pretty high, it's very smooth and tastes really good, simply. The only thing that would stop you from drinking a lot of these is it's abv and hefty pricetag. A great beer. Of course it is, It's a Trappist beer. (814 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Dark hazelnut brown body, opaque in clarity. High flocculating yeast floaties reside at bottom of glass. Tall, 1'' collar of off-white foam stays throughout consumption.

S - Complex malt character with low phenolic notes, backed by a yeasty aromatics. Mild fruit esters.

T - Sweet malt palate with complementing undertones of phenolic spice from yeast. Grainy yeast character meshes with slight ending bitterness of hops. Alcohol flavor and spice phenolics only complement this Ale.

M - Medium, rich body with high carbonation. Very low warming from ABV.

O - One of the best Belgian Strong Dark Ales, and worthy of being one of the most notable Trappists. (663 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

I write this the morning after a session last night with 5 bottles of this excellent beer.

Where to start? This is a rich, complex, treacly, perfectly balanced, strong dark ale with a hop aroma perceptable behind the strongly chocolate flavour.

And the alcohol fumes (it's a 9 percenter after all!) remind you that this is a real drink... It's not like (for example) a Duvel which can sneak up on you without warning. I'd forgotten just how good this beer was.... it had been in my cellar for at least a year which might have helped. (540 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle to glass

Appearance - Dark brownish red head. Had a thick off white head. Some carbonation

Smell - Complex, has some dark fruit, raisins, some herbs, yeast is present

Taste - Sweet, herbal taste, dark fruits are predominate, yeast, alcohol is definitely there. Has a dry finish

Overall - Complex is an understatement. One of the best beers from Belgium. I'm sitting on a couple to see of they age of the coming years (427 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Purchased from Ladd's in Muskegon and drank from a wine glass.

Look: Hazy dark brown, no light escapes, lots of head
Smell: Like a typical dark Belgian beer. Lots of fruit.
Taste: Brown Sugar! This stands out the most. Others are caramel and other spices. There's no alcohol taste to the beer.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Overall: A solid beer that I could see why it's so sought after. Not my favorite Belgium style. But I think I'll work on this style more. (460 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Gorgeous deep orangy Brown with a big foamy head

S: Nice light smell. Spicy and sweet with no overpowering booziness.

T: The alcohol (9.2%) is hidden behind an almost light malty flavor. Sweet but with enough spice to keep it from overpowering the beer. No high in hoppiness and not too boozy.

M- Smooth as butter with enough burn to remind you that you're drinking a real beer.

D- One of the most drinkable beers over 9% I have ever tasted. Absolutely smooth and without a strong alcohol taste. Beer drinkers at all levels could drink this one with relative ease.

The world class reputation matches the flavor. (619 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Pour a very dark opaque amber with a two-finger head with good retention.

S: Malty with burnt sugar and dates undertones

T: Coriander spice with hints of alcohol and dark fruit. Complex flavorings that includes roasted malts and a plethora of carbonation.

M: Medium bodied, carbonated

O: Delicious for the style. A fine crafted brew that deliciously hides the ABV and very drinkable. Very complex in taste, smell, and feel. Highly recommended (447 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

If you love Belgian Ales you will love this without a doubt.
It has great taste which I hate to say taste almost like communion wine (Catholics and orthodox's will understand) but has that Belgian ale essence. It is fairly thick when sipped but goes down smooth. It has a bit of a sweet taste to it and not a very over powering after taste. (340 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

I felt like cracking a special beer last night, so I reached for the Rochefort. I don't know if the timing was right, but I really enjoyed this beer. It looked great, smelled delicious, and tasted like a divine dessert.

Appearence- Poured into my Westy chalice. It started with a 2" pillowy tan head but it soon dimished to the point where I could fit the rest of the bottle in. Beer was a Chocolate Lab sort of color. Head had spices in it. My guess would be cinnnamon.

Smell- This is one of those beers that you hold under your nose the entire time. It smelled of raisins, chocolate, cinnamon. . . but at the same time
it wasn't overwhelming or too sweet.

Taste- As above, this is one well balanced, delicious brew. Heavy malt backend with a dry cinnamon finish. I love this one.

Drinker? I could drink this for the rest of my life. Delicious and a great end to a day.

Top 5 material. (904 characters)

Wow these Trappist monks know what they are doing.

Appearance:Dark, can't see through it. One finger head dissipate quickly qhich is expected for a 9.2 abv beer.

Smell: Superb nice and malty.

Mouthfeel: I get a champagne like taste which is typical with a good Trappist ale. Very nice.

Taste: I can't find anything to complain about. Excellent all around.

Overall: Go buy this beer if you have not tried it. If you have tried it I doubt you need to be told to buy it. (474 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a 11,2oz bottle into a snifter

A_Beautiful opaque dark mahogany color. Very thick three fingered tan head that dissipates to a one fingered steady cap

S_Like fresh dark real maple syrup, sweet. Semi-sweet chocolate

T_Alcohol is definitely present, very warming, very dark maple syrup taste, chocolate covered coffee beans. Emmen-Thalen swiss cheese fondu. Aftertaste is very much like dark cough syrup.

M_Overall starts off very mellow but ends up a little bit medicinal. Dances on the pallet with decent carbonation considering this dark ale's ABV. Doesn't coat the mouth as much as I thought it would

D_This one is a sipper. The taste isn't very prohibitive but the ABV and the slight medicinal taste is. I don't think I would go for another soon. I will buy it again eventually though (804 characters)

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

There is not a hell of a lot I can say about this one that hasn't already been said. I think it's great but doesn't hold a candle to its big brother. The 10 has more of everthing and is perfectly balanced. This one is just shy of the mark and also has too much carbonation. It's very hard for me to open one if I have a 10 lying around. Why would I choose excellent when I can have extraordinary???

I recently tried the Bernardus Prior 8 and consider that to be the better drop! (479 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

A - dark amber, creamy awesome head with good retention, slightly hazy

S - dried fruits, toasted malts, caramel, spicy phenols, warm clean alcohol, port wine, slightly minty and other medicinal phenolics

T - Opens very sweet, as you taste it something balances the sweetness, but I cant pinpoint it - alcohol? The finish is initially sweet, but transforms into a dry aftertaste with warming alcohol.

M - high carbonation. The body is fairly thin which balances the big flavors.

O - Very nice example of the strong dark ale style. Sweet initially, but finishes dry - I could far too much of this. This beer is living on the edge as far as noticeable alcohol goes, it works because the alcohol is on the clean and warm side. I personally prefer the alcohol to be even more in the background - but this is nevertheless an awesome beer. (839 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a dark molasses color with an impressive off white, one finger head that is long-lasting.

Smell is candy-like with nice aromas of dark fruit mostly including dates and figs.

Taste begins sweet with dark fruits and a hint of ginger. Not too spicy but not too sweet. A nice blend of sweetness and bitterness with the high ABV apparent but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, and medium bodied that finishes extremely smooth for this style of beer.

After only having a few Dubbels prior to the Rochefort 8, I was rather pessimistic about Dubbels as a whole. However, this beer changes my outlook on Dubbels and would be something I would highly recommend to beer lovers of all styles. (700 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

I finally get to use my Trappistes Rochefort glass for what is made for: drinking Trappistes Rochefort.

Pours a deep, dark brown, permitting light only around the edges, and forming a consistent, light brown head. Visible carbonation and a good deal of sediment was noted. Smelled sweet and grapey. Up front, the taste was neutral followed by a blast of sweet malts, then grains in the aftertaste, with very warm alcohol throughout. Midway through, the hop presence was greater than in other similar Belgians. Towards the end the malts took over again, which was more enjoyable in this case. There was also a tartness to the sweet flavors, reminding me just a tiny bit of sour apples and some berries. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. A good beer, but not my top choice, though I have a feeling that this beer could vary quite a bit from glass to glass. I will certainly be up for multiple tastings. (897 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the reviews here, I'm wondering if I ended up with an older bottle. Plus, I'm new to the hardcore Trappist brews, so I may be missing some of the nuance with said beers. Nonetheless, here goes.

Served in a 330ml bottle, cap already opened by the waitstaff. Poured into a red wine glass (shame on them for not having a proper goblet).

Decent tan head, but I immediately noticed both a dark sediment poured into the bottom of the glass and lighter sediment floating through the beer itself. A second look at the bottle showed some discoloration on the label. I didn't think to look at the expiry/bottling date, but the appearance struck me that this one was sitting around for some time. A dark sediment remained at the bottom of the bottle, and the homebrewer in me thought for a moment of trying to scrape it out and use the yeast in another beer. But that's too much damn work.

The appearance was mitigated by the beer's amazing smell. Sweet bread, some fruit and spice notes, absolutely enticing. I let the beer settle down a bit before sipping, hoping the sediments would fall to the bottom.

At least to my untrained tastebuds, the beer was fabulous. Warm, malty flavors with hints of banana and clove, followed by a warming alcohol that wasn't overpowering but rather complimentary. Coated the mouth perfectly and was eminently drinkable, though I took my time to let the sediment settle after each sip.

So...again, I don't think the sediment was indicative of the style (I've had American-made Belgian dubbles, tripels and others before), and I definitely plan to get another fresher bottle as soon as possible. But that said, I'm quite impressed regardless. And it went amazingly well with the tender roast beef au jus I had for lunch. I imagine it would go down well with just about any decadent meal. (1,820 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort