Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,842 | Hads: 4,941
4.56/5  rDev +6%

This is an impressive beer. Purchased this one 2 Christmas's ago. I bought a few of these at LCBO at the time with a lady friend, and left them at her place. I made sure I got these bottles back at my place before I stopped seeing her. I am glad I got this beer back.

Exceptional appearance because the head was roaring. The yeast leaves cocao like sediment on the top of the head. I had put the dreds with the rest of the glass instead of throwing it out. Smells earthy, phenolic, but decently mellow. The taste is of a mellow earthy tone, like wood and mushrooms if I must compare it to something else. The alcohol is not too evident, if it were not for the 9.2% labeled on the bottle I woudnt' have known. The aftertaste has got some fruity or plum like flavour. When I exhaled after drinking this beer I could feel the ethanol coming out along with some like "vanilla" like flavour. This drink is potent in alcohol but more so in the complexity of flavours.

This is definately drinkable. Why stop such a good thing.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Dark brown with specks of yeast floating around. Nice big foamy head that goes down in a ferw min.

S: alcohol is strong right off the bat. I smell vague spices as well.

T: Malty as hell! You can taste the alcohol big time in this great brew. It has a spicy character throughout, though there is a great sweetness to it. It finishes with a clove and spicy alcohol flavor.

M: Medium bodied beer, with a great CO2 level.

D: Strong, but I could put a few back no prob. It keeps you wanting more. I will have to get another few cases soon!

This beer tastes great if you use it to make a stew. The results were great!

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

330ml. bottle in a 16oz. Imperial Pint glass.
A vigorous steady pour filled the glass with a spectacular 2 finger frothy tan head that rapidily diminshed to a solid, bubbley 1/4" that lasts through the glass. Insignificant lace.

I could smell this beer BEFORE I ever tasted it or put it to my nose....
Alcohol & spiced rum, coffee, raisins, prunes, honey, sugar, BROWN SUGAR!, warm fresh baked breads or cake, remarkably complex & inviting but hard to separate. There's alot happening here.

Cloudy, dark tea colored. Sparkling columns of pin head bubbles. A few small floaties. This beer glitters in the glass.

TEFLON TASTE: Incredible & slick ~ equally complex & appealing:

Coffee, caramel, plums, raisins, ripe bananas, chocolate, sharp spices & piney hops, dark berries & creamy, nutty, pudding like malts.

Not too sweet on the lips, not too hoppy, with a carbonation tingle & a slow fade to a warm, spicey finish. Alcohol warms through the swallow.

This beer is NARCOTIC!

It came highly recommended & I wasn't disappointed. As I explore different styles this
particular offering stands out head & shoulders above my recent samplings. I'm getting more & I'm gonna cellar some.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Vive les trappistes! One of my favourite beers from Belgium is from Rochefort Brewery.

I have very similar experience with Rochefort Trappistes 10.

Appearance (4): Dark brown, beautiful in the glass.

Smell (3.5): Strong, spice, fruit.

Taste (4.5): Sugar with strong fruit taste. Wonderful.

Mouthfee (4): Very strongly carbonate at first impression, even surprising a little at first. Followed by light sweetness.

Drinkability (4): I would not want to wake up after few bottles given the high volume of CO2 with almost 10% of Alc.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 330 ml bottle into chalice.

L- Big, thick off-white head that sticks around. Huge carbonation is apparent. Dark ruby amber color with slight haze.

S- Beautiful bouquet of fruity esters and dried/stone fruit character from specialty malts. Minimal hop presence.

T- A spectacular balance of cherry, raisin, prune, bready malt, and yeast-driven esters with clove and nutmeg character. Again, hop presence is minimal.

F- Huge carbonation. Dries out beautifully in the finish.

O- What a beer. No flaws, great complexity, and strong. A classic example of Belgian Dark Strong/Quad.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this lovely up at Dorignac's. Will see to it that Martin Wine Cellar has this soon.

Consume by June 19, 2007. Whoops -- jumped the gun again.

Appearance: Very good. Pours a hazy orange/brown (apple cider) with a lovely head into my tulip.

Smell: Very good. Spices (Clove nutmeg). Fruit. (Fig, plum, raisin).

Taste. Very good. There's that fruit again. Some chocolate and coffee. Slight bitterness at the end attributed to carbonation and hops.

Mouthfeel. Sublime. Melts in the mouth like a piece of chocolate.

Drinkability. Great. I could drink these sweet bad boys all damn night. Whoa. Wait a minute. There's the alcohol.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: light brown with an apple tint. light brown head quickly diminishes to a small, long-lasting head. moderate-high carbonation with a lot of yeasty sediment floating around. leaves a good lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Sweet fruit, plums, some vinous aromas as well. very nice.

Taste: A yeasty, fruity, vinous flavour that is well balanced. Apple and plum are prominent flavors. There are a bunch of subtle flavors in this. As a typical Trappist ale, the aftertaste is dry and somewhat bitter. Alcohol is used in a more prominent, but good way. There were just a number of flavors in here.

Mouthfeel: nice moderate body with prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Pronounced alcohol strength is good but makes me more aware of how much I am having.

Notes: I enjoyed this very much. From what I've heard about the 10, which I was unable to get a hold of, I will probably like that one a lot better, but this was good. Really very complex, but I thought the flavors were all too subtle.

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%

A: The appearance was a nice solid brown color, with a cream colored head. Didn't have the proper glassware to pour into, so I had to use a regular pint glass.

S: Smelled of fruits and some fairly sweet flavors.

T: The taste was out of this world. I rated it a 5 for a reason. I'm very impressed with how this developed in my mouth, and made me want my next drink even more than the last. An almost bittersweet blanket was on the back end of my pallet at the end.

M: The mouthfeel was full bodied, but carried over the bittersweet blanket.

D: This beer, was amazing, and if it wasn't $7.00 for 11.2 FL OZ, I'd surely drink this more often. However, you get what you pay for, and this beer, I'm more than willing to pay more for.

Overall, if you can get your hands on it, which I know you can if you try, please do yourself a favor and grab it and savor it. Cheers.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle at home on May 21, 2010.

Pours a brown color. Head is thicker and creamier than the 6, which was tried just prior. Deeper tan color, better lacing.

Big fruit smells.

Great flavors of caramel banana bread. Lots of different things going on here.

Mouthfeel is somewhere between frothy cream and light syrup.

Dangerously drinkable at this ABV. Great complex brew. Could easily put a few back and enjoy each.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a chilled mug.

A: Pours cloudy brown with a monstrous head that took forever to dissipate. Lacing is thick and clings to the side of the mug.

S: Smells... Earthy, musty... Everything else is quite muted. I get *slight* hints of banana.

T: WOW. the nose was misleading. This a sweet, complex brew - fruity, earthy, bready, sugary sweet, with blueberries and the right amount of booziness and funk at the back end. One of my new favorites, definitely.

M: Buttery, fizzy, light, moderate carbonation.

O: Despite the somewhat lackluster smell, this one came through in the taste department. Incredible flavor that begs you to have more!

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured out of a 33 cl bottle.

Appearance: Dark orange/red color with extremely thin lace.
Smell: Very alcholic smell with a hint of pear.
Taste: Extremly malty with hints of fruit. In some ways reminds me of fruity spirits (the good ones).
Mouthfeel: Very smooth,nothing to complain about.

Overall: I feel like I am missing something when I drink this. I guess that being a newcomer to beer may explain this but while I recognize that this beer is very good I can't say it has stood out for me.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

pours a deep red-brown, you know typical of this style. lots more foam that with the 10 though. incredibly rich smell.
taste-malty goodness, sugar, sweet, extremely deep and complex. just damn good.
mouthfeel perfect. drinkability excellent. ive had the 10 lots of times but this is my first try of the 8..its hard to say this one is lacking in any way, these Rocheforts are simply some of the best damn beer you will ever put in your mouth.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bouteille de 33 cl.

Bière brune opaque offrant une mousse veloutée et persistante. Apparence quasi-irréprochable.

Odeurs chocolatées et fruitées. Certains arômes de gâteau sont aussi perceptibles.

En bouche, la Rochefort 8 est impresionnante. Un sucré agréable mais pas trop présent est immédiatement perceptible. Des goûts de fruits (figue, prune?) sont ensuite mêlé à une agréable pointe chocolatée. Excellent !

La Rochefort 8 dissimule à merveille son % élevé d'alcool. Bière hors du commun.

Served in a Westmalle chalice at 12 degrees Celsius

A: dark red brownish, almost no head, slight to no lace.

S: Brown sugar, spices, dark sweet malts, bread.

T: Sweet, bitter, kind of buttery taste, the alcohol it's very present, raisins.

It's a very good beer kind of strong for me the alcohol make me feel like I'm drinking a hard liquor, but it's a round beer that it's going to need a couple of tries before the final verdict.

4.56/5  rDev +6%

330ml bottle into Chimay chalice because I don't have a Rochefort one. Best by 4-7-15, enjoyed on 8-25-2010. 1cm light tan head quickly reducing to thin layer of bubbles. Hazy brown color with light purple tint. Maybe the width of the chalice is adversely affecting the perception of clarity.

Aroma of raisins, fresh pine needles and pine bark, toasted cracker/bread, just a hint of charcoal smoke somehow too. Taste initially grapefruit and light pepper, then dried figs, dates, and sweet malt slowly pop up and lasts through a drying bitter aftertaste on the roof of my mouth.

Carbonation feels very crisp but passes quickly, a bit like a quick shot of grapefuit soda. Finishes feeling very nicely balanced. The 9.2% ABV is superbly hidden in the flavors and lingering aftertaste. This would be quite drinkable except for getting plastered from the high ABV. Great stuff, which there had been more than just 1 bottle left at the store when I got it!

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle

A: Pours a dark amber with three fingers of fluffy, tanned head that recedes to a half inch with plenty of lacing.

S: Sweet, boozy, and fruity. A nose of ripe banana and fig with blended perfectly with alcohol and some spice.

T: Sugary malts blend incredibly well with the fruitiness. A smooth, long lasting, and slightly dry yeast finish.

M: Creamy, thick, silky smooth goodness!

O- Outstanding! On my way to my local LCBO to clear the shelves while I can.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Excellent appearence; beautiful lacing that stays in the glass and sticks to the side. very dark caramel in color, pours beautiful.
Brown sugar, vanilla, fruity, malty, and, rich scents. tastes of brown sugar, cinamon, raisins, chocolate, and spices. very sweet rich drink. It would be good to drink with a dessert. the carbonation is alright and the mouthfeel is malty/slightly coarse which isnt bad at all. I like this beer a lot. definitely something that everyone should try. Not a Rochefort Ten, but damn good.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A- a beautiful caramel color, brown, with white thick head

S- chocolatey, brown sugar, very pleasant aroma

T- again with the chocolate, yummy, sweet but not overpowering, very good, couldn't taste the alcohol, very well blended

M- good mouthfeel, some carbonation

D- could probably only have about 2 of these in a night before the sweetness got to you

Overall, great beer, it was a pleasant experience and i would buy again

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

It's been a looong time since I've had a propper trappist beer so I'm really looking forward for this one. The beer pours a dark brown murky looking liquid with a big head wich slowly fades to a one finger thick lid.

This smells like Belgium to me. Brown sugar, some spices, wet grass and that lovely yeast of theirs.

The sweetness is of brown sugar and dark fruits, plums and figs. It's quite spicy aswell with some herbs. Unfortunatly I am not that good in recognising herbs so I can't name them... It ends with a warm feeling. The sweetness of the dark fruits is very dominant but the beer still has that complex feeling you would expect from a trappist beer.

As I mentioned earlier the feeling is warm (from the alcohol) and very pleasant. Large bubbles in the carbonation.

This beer is quite heavy and hearty. Very enjoyable, but I can't see myself drink more than one this evening.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from bottle. Aroma of fruit. Appearance is a very dark brown with significant tan head. Medium bitter taste with a dry finish. A really great Belgian Strong Ale.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I poured the beer from a bottle of 330 ml glass into a Cervoise glass. I paired it with fruits coated with orange chocolate fondue.

This is the type of beer you first enjoy with your eyes for 5 seconds. The carbonation gives the beer (excluding its light brown head) a light amber colour from the top to the bottom. Once the head is formed, the top and the middle turn to a dark brown. As for the bottom, you do not need to get darn close to the glass to see its amber hue. All in all, this beer has the best looks.

As for the taste, I love its consistency. Unlike many beer this one has no variation of intensity. It doesn't start with a light bitter taste and finishes in your throat with an unpleasant punch. Think of a wheat beer with a hint of cereals and unsweetened dark chocolate that stays the same whether it is on your tongue or in your throat. Although I mentioned a possibility of it tasting like dark chocolate, that taste in the Trappistes Rochefort 8 is not as obvious as it could be in a stout.

Finally, thanks to the beer's creaminess, a few bubbles and foam are left at the bottom of your glass. In short, this beer has both the looks and the taste. It is my favourite.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

I picked a bottle of this when I bought a bottle of the 10. I actually liked this one a lot more!
In my Duvel chalice, it pour a darkish chestnut/rubyish color with a very pretty bone/offwhite head. Has a subtler aroma carmelly and fruity with no hint of alcohol.
I sat in sipping this one slowly and really savoring it. As it warms up, boy does the taste get big. Kinda reminds me of how a tube amp takes a while to hit it's sweet spot... I loved the mouthfeel on this one and found it very easy to drink. I will pick up two bottles of this and leave the ten for someone who may appreciate it more than me...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Dark-brown coloured, almost no light shining through, big cream-white head that is turning into a thin head that stays until the last sip

S: Sweet, slightly fruity, a little bit of malt

T: Very sweet, lots of fruit, minimal malt, almost no hoppy bitterness

M: Thick and heavy feeling in the mouth, medium carbonation, not too much, but not feeling flat.

O: This is a very nice, fruity and sweet beer, heavy feeling in the mouth, intense flavours hide the alcohol, probably my favourite of the 6, 8 and 10 of the Trappistes Rochefort beers due to its good drinkability. I like it as a beer after a good meal, or paired with a dessert.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

Let this one sit in the glass for at least ten minutes, or until it reaches room temperature. Like a fine wine, it really needs to breathe.

Gorgeous orange/mahogany color. A rich, creamy head that lasts forever. Incredibly enticing.

Not much going on in the nose initially, though with time some sweet fruit and malt comes through.

Tastes of bread, caramel, and slightly burnt raw sugar...delicious.

Very smooth, with an appropriate hint of carbonation.

Exceptionally drinkable in the wee small hours.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

This one is odd...

It pours a medium amber colour, a light murky brown with sediment floating about. A huge creamy flowing head. light lacing

smells like a belgian ale, hard to explain. A spicy, breadlike, with a hint of dates or golden raisins.

taste - a bit spicy, not nearly the bite of other belgian ales of this abv (9.20). A tiny bit of breadlike taste. There's something really good in there, I just can't figure out what it is.

mouthfeel - It's perfectly carbonated, medium but very smooth body. Goes down beautifully. A warming feeling in the mouth too, cuz of the alcohol.

Drinkability - pretty high, it's very smooth and tastes really good, simply. The only thing that would stop you from drinking a lot of these is it's abv and hefty pricetag. A great beer. Of course it is, It's a Trappist beer.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort