Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a beautiful well balanced sweet Rochefort. It is very dark amber/brown, though not opaque and has a noticeable amount of sediment floating around. Full two finger head with a solid lacing as it disappears from the glass... when you turn it up you see a nice wall of tiny bubbles (can you tell I am enjoying it?). As I poured it into the glass the head started to foam over, so I slurped the head (grow up! lol) as not to spill any (it's not cheap) and the sweetness hit me right up front with the alcohol flowing mildly several seconds later. The sweetness gives it solid mouthfeel but not too heavy a to make it unsavory in any way. This is a dangerous beer in respect to drinkability as it goes down soooo smooth and balanced that the 9.2% could easily sneak up on you! This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted - ever! Enjoy and savor it.

Choppr, Jan 08, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

A- Stormy and dark, almost grey pour, foamy head, sticks around for a bit.
S- Rich ripe fruit, dark fruits, figs and even apricots, super malty.
T-Stringent alcohol up front then layered malt the rest of the way. Lots of dark sugars, toffee flavors as it warms.
M- Fizzy and biting. Alcohol is not hiding. Not as smooth as I expected. Beginning to wonder if this bottles bad.
D- Not more than one. Very boozy alcohol and at 9% not too many can be consumed.
Not sure what I expected. Know this is supposed to be great. Maybe i just received a bad bottle or maybe my palate is not refined enough yet. Either way it leaves me disappointed.

gskitt, Jan 08, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a snifter.

A -- Very deep, dark brown color; thick, two-finger light brown head; carbonated; floating sediment; head dissipates throughout drink; nose develops a hint of heat as beer warms.
S -- Fruits right up front; subtle malts in the back; hint of citrus.
T -- Fruits and bananas; subtle malt on the finish with a pinch of bitterness; touch of heat on the linger, but very subdued.
M -- Light-to-medium bodied; cool and carbonated.
D -- Super smooth and well-balanced, but potentially hard to come by. Very drinkable.

CourteManche, Jan 06, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: A deep opaque brown that is covered by quick-to-disappear light tan head.

Smell: Complex. Fruit, honey, malts, and some other things I can't quite recognize. Chocolate perhaps.

Taste: Exquisite. The immediate flavor is that of a malty honey, tied in fruity aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: An enjoyable experience to say the least.

Drinkability: Not too dark. Not a sipper but definitely something one should drink slowly if not to just enjoy the beer.

DerekStek, Jan 06, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2 oz. bottle. Use by date: 070415.

Pours a huge 4 finger head into my Duvel tulip. Thick dark mahogany to dark brown in color. The recedes quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Aroma of sweet fruity citrus. A whiff of rum and coke. Some dark fruit and caramel. A bit of Belgian spice.

Tart and sweet with a bit of a prickle reminded me a couple of times of ginger ale. Tastes of dark cherries and Belgian yeast as well. Alcohol flavor to me conflicts with the sweet malts.

Smooth and creamy. Some light prickle, but no real bite. A bit of alcohol burn in the throat.

The sweet malt/high alcohol/Belgian trio damped it a bit for me, but with over 4 years to go, this may well improve with age.

obywan59, Jan 04, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Thank you to TCHopeCraver for this gift!

Pours a dark reddish brown with a contrasting white head. The lacing is nice and I enjoy how the head is non uniform across the surface of the beer.

The smell reminds me of a red wine as it matches its rich, dark, grape aroma. To match the smell, mix the red wine with some plum, dark cherries, and some funk. The smell is very rich and wonderful.

A lot of plum with subdued cherry provide the fruit profile of this one. The yeast flavor is a dingy basement like taste. The taste is quite a bit different than what the smell leads me to believe.

The mouthfeel is medium-light and does not match the 9.2% billing. The aftertaste is clean providing a nice touch.

This is a solid beer and is drinkable. I believe that I like 10 a touch better.

TCgoalie, Jan 02, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Served in a Riedel stemless snifter

This beer pours a dark murky brown color topped by an off white foam on the surface. The aromatics are heavy on the floral notes from the yeast producing a woodsy fig note not overly bouquet. This beer tastes lightly of plums and woodsy notes. There is a nutmeg and clove spice that sits on the tongue and seems a little to much for my buds, though it's still pleasant. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth, but the carbonation is a little on the strong side. I'm pretty pleased with this beer, but I do however feel that it's slightly overrated.

Vdubb86, Dec 31, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Pours a muck-brown, reddish color with lots of sediment floating around. 1-finger head disappears quickly

S: Fruity malts really stand out along with some spices

T: A good, interesting mix of fruits and spices with almost no noticeable alcohol. Some nice buttery diacetyl notes at the very back that balance out the spiciness

M: Medium body with high carbonation

D: The fact that the alcohol is hidden so well make this a candidate for having a few, until you realize that the 9.2% is definitely there

BEERMILER12, Dec 31, 2010

Without adoubt, the best beer I've had n 2010! The smell reminds me fine French Champagne, doughy änd soft. The taste is simply magnificent, toasty, malty, it simply hits all the right chords. Mouthfeel is very smooth but not dull or flat . I would drink it every day if I could afford its steep price.

Fernans, Dec 29, 2010

11.2oz bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice.

I have a few Trappist beers that I am going to tackle in the coming days. This is the first.

A - Pours a dark brown, incredibly murky, with tons of sediment chunks in it. I was careful with this one and even left more than the usual in the bottom of the beer to avoid this, but instead I was greeted with this repulsive sight. Builds little head, almost a half-finger's worth, but it lasts a long time. No lacing. Not sure if something's wrong with this or not...

S - Smell is strong in raisin, figs, and alcohol. Some chocolate and unfortunately its also a bit buttery. Disappointing.

T - Taste is as bad as the smell. Tons of diacetyl and butterscotch. Some raisins, a bit vinious and tannic, but I can't shake the diacetyl.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy bodied with low carbonation. Almost flat. Leaves a lasting alcohol finish.

D - Drinkability is low and almost non-existant. Unfortunate that my first encounter with this Trappist is a fail, but at least it's (relatively) available, just a bit expensive. My first encounter with a butter-bomb and it's not pleasant!

nhindian, Dec 29, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

This bottle is 1 month shy of 2 years.

A: Poured into my tulip, this brew pours a unique brown hue with a tan capped head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: The aroma on this brew is a little lacking for what I'd expect. Complexity is just not there in the typical Belgium/Trappist spice. Dark fruit notes are present with a small note of chocolate.

T: The flavor is also less than I expected, but as the beer warms a tad, the complexities shine on the back of the pallet. Belgium cloves and dark fruits. Surprisingly there is a small alcohol presence .

MF: Mouthfeel is not as full as it should be, but not bad.

D: Drinkability is good, getting better with the increase in temperature.

Overall, I love the beers that Rochefort puts out. I prefer 8 with less than a year on it now, but this brew remains one of the best of the Trappist.

TKEbeerman, Dec 27, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Deep ruby color with a fawn rocky head that produces major lace. A wonderful looking beer.

Smell: Very fruity and yeasty. Smells of raisins, dates, and fruitcake.

Taste: Lots of malt and yeast balanced by a nice level of hops. Tastes of rum, cider and sherry.

Mouthfeel: Full body and dry.

Drinkability: An awesome beer and something I wish I could drink everyday.

cudmud, Dec 27, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this one in a gift pack for Xmas. This beer will mark the third trappist brewery I have tried. I've been tempted to buy it at the store, but it seems to run about $7 a bottle...Pretty pricey!

Served in a Rochefort glass.

It pours a dark cloudy red. Almost opaque.

The smell is nice. Chocolate, caramel and dried fruits. A bit alcoholic smelling.

Tastes fantastic. Slightly tart and sweet fruit with bit of chocolate/coffee bitterness that give way to an bitter orange finish. Alcohol is hardly noticeable.

Overall, a really excellent beer. I had trouble finishing one glass, considering it is very heavy, but also very tasty! I still have 3 more bottles, and I'm excited to see how the flavours mature over time.

evlu1441, Dec 27, 2010

While not generally a fan of Trappestes, the initial aroma of this beer is outstanding! Pours with a frothy foam that sustains for a good while. Good feel and solid taste- I could enjoy this at any time. Enjoyable enough to make me rethink my feeling towards the maker.

JaredWolgemuth, Dec 25, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Bought this at Boonton Liquor Outlet in Boonton, NJ. Into a snifter, it poured a cloudy brown, with two fingers of tan head, decent retention, and good lacing. Smelled of lemon, strawberry, melon, caramel, and slight alcohol presence, but overall of lighter fruits, which was a bit surprising, given the dark appearance. The taste was a nicely blended mix of melon, strawberry, and tangerine, followed by cocoa/coffee, and then finished on a dry bitter orange peel note. Alcohol was better hidden in the flavor than in the nose. The feel was smooth, and not as carbonated, with a very bitter and dry finish. Very pleasant and complex yet balanced flavor profile make this one a keeper. Would love to age some.

donniecuffs, Dec 22, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

| Presentation |
33 cl bottle poured into an hexagonal glass:

| Appearance |
I poured this one a little too aggressive and it hit me with a 5 inch billowy head that took about a minute to dissipate. Lacing doesn't hold on to the glass very much and is gone by the time I get around to pouring the remainder of the beer. It's a swampy brown that cries, "I dare you" from its murky depths.

| Smell |
A clean phenolic smell with hints of fig and a light buttery hott like the kind that's melting off pound cake with a whiff of a sweet dark rum shot.

| Taste |
Like the Alstrom Bros say "alcohol runs the gamete" but in a perfect harmony. The flavors swim across like a swishing river of spiced cloves, hints of wild ripe bananas hanging from tropical trees mixed with a semi sweet cinnamon finish.

| Mouthfeel |
Feels like a low carbonation belgian dark trippel, dangerously drinkable for the abv!

| Drink-ability |
Well, it's about 2:30pm and I'm drinking this on an empty stomach so halfway through the glass I'm already catchin a little buzz. This one boasts a 9.2% abv and it's not kidding. It's one of those perfect beers that will keep you warm on a rainy winter day like today. Only downside is that the price has gone up from $4.99 to $5.49 for a 330ml / 11.2 oz bottle. But, if you can find one - I highly recommend it. I saw some on the shelf today and bought the entire stock. (they only had 8, go figure)

jayavery, Dec 21, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

A - cloudy brown purplish, thick tan head that never left, unbelievable
S - wheaty grains with a grape phenolic, plumb fruity yeast
T - bready grain malt with fruity yeast notes of dark fruit, nutty and musty, complex
M - solid carbonation, creamy smooth with an alcohol drying finish
D - the flavours are distinctly Belgian and very rich, at 9.2% this stuff is dangerously delicious, an exceptional strong beer

joemcgrath27, Dec 20, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Presentation: 33 cL bottle poured into my Smuttynose tulip glass. Served at room temperature.

Appearance: First pour causes a huge three and a half finger beige head with decent retention. Takes a bit for this to settle and I can pouir the rest of teh bottle. Dark brown in color and very thick. Leaves a nice lacing of foam around the glass.

Aroma: Figs, brown sugar and fused alcohol. A noticable bready note and cloves there as well. The alcohol is a bit strong for my liking.

Taste: The malt really gives good brown sugar, fig and raison notes. Warming alcohol throughout. A nice spiciness and breadiness in here too.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy. Really rich, but great for sipping.

Drinkability: For a beer of this strength, it nevers feels like a chore to drink. Smooth and creamy, just not something to have too much of duw to the ABV.

Overall, a really nice trappist beer. The warming alcohol mixed with the smooth maltiness really make this worthwhile. I definitely recommend this.

Gosox8787, Dec 18, 2010

Code 210415 on the bottle. Whatever that means.

Enjoyed this beer in my Chimay Chalice. Pours with a nice 2 finger light tan head with a slightly maroon tone to it. The beer is a deep amber with the same maroon tones. Slightly hazy. Nothing in the lacing department.

Aroma is of grape. Just wonderful. Overall mostly nice fruity esters.

A decent tasting beer, but a touch more muted than I expected. The aroma seemed more assertive than the flavor. Very nice and nothing wrong here, but a bit more subtle. Raisins, fruity, layers of nice malt and a lasting sweetness. The aftertaste gets a little dry and the finish is reminiscent of a diet cola. Almost asking for a touch more sweetness at the end. There is a slight sense of the alcohol right at the end.

As mentioned above, rather dry on the tongue. Not crisp though. Very subtle and tiny carbonation.

It's a good beer, but I was a touch underwhelmed vs. some of the other Belgian classic brands.

Reagan1984, Dec 17, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

It pours a nice rich brown. Bubbly and opaque. It almost looks like Coca-Cola; could be because that's the glass I'm using. (don't laugh, the shape makes for a good tasting glass, and they at the dollar store).

It's a good smell. If you've had the 6, it's like that, only better? It's got what the 6 was missing. It's a mild smell; it doesn't hit you hard in the nose. That make it much more approachable.

It's hard to describe the taste as anything other than great. To compare it to the 6; it has everything that was missing. I'm enjoying it more and more with every sip.

Good mouthfeel. Smooth. Very clean too. There's no linger. Very impressive for a 9.2%

Drinkability only suffers from price. The ABV would prevent me from approaching it with the mind set to drink it all night, but after a couple I would forget.

This is just good beer. I was afraid it wasn't going to live up to the hype, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this, and regretting I only bought 1.

birdyone, Dec 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

A - Clear ruby brown with a thick, foamy whitish tan head. Long lasting, with tons of lacing throughout.

S - Sweet pilsner malts, light dark fruity esters with a subtle corriander aroma. Light alcohol comes across as perfumy and quite pleasant.

F/M - Rich sweet pilnser malts, dark fruity esters reminiscent of plums and a touch of apples or pears. Light corriander flavor is balanced quite nicely. Medium low bitterness but quite dry and clean on the finish with the help of a very nice alcoholic bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied with a nice moderatley effervescent carbonation. Lingering complex malty sweetness.

D - Very easy to put down. Clean, dry, refreshing and very flavorful. A very well balanced and delicious beer. Certainly world class.

domtronzero, Dec 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours brown with a head that leaves no lacing. I can see yeast floating around in this beer.

S - The smell is fruity reminds me of raisins.

T - Sweet taste that masks the alcohol content.

M - Medium bodied and smooth.

D - This is one of the easiest to drink strong ales I have ever had. I guess the Monks know what they are doing.

ejimhof, Dec 12, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

This is my first time trying the Trappistes line...

A - Pours an opaque black, two fingers of off-white head with relentless retention that doesn't settle and stays throughout.

S - The scent is quite bready with scents of bitter rye and sour lemon and a sort of cardboard scent as well. Weird.

T - A very fruity ale with plums and grapes followed by toffee and some dark cocoa malts. A little bit of a chalky flavour also comes through and the sweetness of the ABV also comes through.

M - Medium bodied, but feels quite light on the tongue. Goes down smooth and leaves the tongue nice and wet.

D - I really enjoyed this one, and I am really glad I scored a bottle in the beer exchange. I will most definitely be trying the rest of the Trappistes line and would highly recommend this to any fan of Belgians.

andrenaline, Dec 11, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Wow now this is a beer!

Pours a dark brown with an amber hue. Great head that becomes thick and stays the whole way down.

The smell is faint but mainly of chocolate and slight alcohol.

The taste is incredible. A creamy feel on the way in that quickly changes to chocolate, raisins, and alcohol. The alcohol blends perfectly and adds a great flavor on its own.

Eriktheipaman, Dec 11, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Huge amount of head after pour. Maintains good amount of head throughout that adds smoothness to the mouthfeel. Cloudy dark color. Brilliant clean, crisp taste. Dry with sweet and sour notes reminiscent of dry champagne. Very drinkable. The high alcohol level is hidden behind a very easily downed brew. Amazing!

Army, Dec 11, 2010