Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drink before 09/02/16 date on bottle
The beer poured a hazy medium to dark brown and produced a dark tan, bubbly head with ok retention about two fingers high.
Very inviting appearance.
The smell speaks of dark fruit like plum, fig ,raisin as well as caramel, brown sugar and lot of yeast.
Tasting the beer those aromas will start with the dark fruits up front. The middle has a nice sweetness of caramel and brown sugar, combined with a good amount of Belgian yeast. Very balanced. At the end a warming if alcohol will great you in a very gentle manner.
A great beer made by master brewers!

Hopfenpeter, Oct 26, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Drink by date of 4/21/2015

A: Pours a deep brown/ruby color with a large beige colored head on top. Really nice retention and lacing down the sides. Good amount of carbonation released from the bottom.

S: On the sweet side with lots of dark fruits - raisins, dates, and plums mostly. Some brown sugar and a bit of molasses as well as some bready malt.

T: Some caramel up front which transitions to some raisins and fig as well as some bready malt. A little bit of sugary sweetness and a bit of warmth from the alcohol.

M: Medium bodied with a great level of carbonation. Can't taste the alcohol, but there is a warmth as it goes down.

O: Really nice beer. I can see why its the top in its style, just classic. Easy drinking with a great flavor profile.

mdaschaf, Oct 25, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Intro: Served in a tulip glass

Appearance: Plenty of head, but dry, and ample carbonation on the inside of the glass. Caramel color with a head that is slight tan. The lacing seems to stay and it does not appear quite as oily as the Rochefort 10. Some sediment in the bottom of the glass

Smell: The aroma is slightly subdued but still layered, and complex, with a host of different ingredients. Initially, I detect dark fruits, caramel, brown sugar, malts, and spice. As the pour warms, the bouquet opens up slightly. The alcohol is hidden rather well but is still detected.

Taste: Like the smell, I taste dark fruits, brown sugar, and the sharp taste of spice. I could also taste the roasted flavor of the malts which also added a certain sharpness to the palette. The taste of alcohol is present and not as well hidden in this beer. This beer is much like the 10 although slightly less complex in flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean with moderately high carbonation without an aftertaste. Only a very slight oiliness is perceived. The alcohol is present but not overbearing.

Overall: Very smooth and leaves you wanting more. Went down pretty fast for being a rather high ABV. The alcohol is not overpowering but the beer should still be a sipper. A dessert beer.

heysuz, Oct 21, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Today I called Rochefort 6 the Shostakovich of Belgian Beer. That counts in the big line also for this one, but this one has more fruity/flower elements to pull it out of the also mentionable smells of horse blanket and horse faeces.

I'm sorry but I can only conclude: Rochefort is a heavilly overrated label.

Like Rochefort 6 this one draws attention on elements that aren't especially refreshing or exciting.

A: a nice ruby colour with a lasting head;
S: like Rochefort 6 nutmeg, black pepper, horse blanket, horse faeces, mushroom, liquorice, but all more subtile;
T: in line of the smell, but without the flowers; I think this kind of beer is much to musty; it doesn't make me happy, and that's what I expect from beers;
O: better than the Rochefort 6. About this one can also be said: books can be written about it, but does it invite to buy another one? No, thank you.

Filosoof, Oct 16, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip and consumed alongside some Oka, Quebecois trappist cheese. Pours with the noisiest head I've ever heard, producing at least twice the volume of an average beer as the head recedes to a patchy cover and ring around the glass. Opaque, deep-mahogany body. The colour is great but I'm surprised about the lack of head retention and lacing.

The nose is not as potent as that of their 10. Alcohol, yeast, bread, light caramel and spices. Not as much complexity as I was hoping to find.

Dark fruit and alcohol are first noticeable in the mouth. Not much sweetness here, with powdery but lightly-flavoured cocoa and cinnamon taking over on the finish. Tastes "dark" without really presenting any roast character. Some yeast and drying earthy hops.

Light-medium body and slightly too much carbonation, made of larger-than-usual bubbles. Trappist ales usually have better mouthfeels than this.

I'm surprisingly a bit under-whelmed here. The 10 was one of the best beers I've ever had but this one doesn't really live up quality-wise. Still, a pretty solid Belgian but I don't think I'll be picking it up again as long as the 10 is available.

eat, Oct 15, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a Leffe chalice.

Pours a cloudy brown, almost purple to me, with one finger of light tan head that dissipated quickly.

Aroma is pleasant. I get mostly dark fruits, some bread.

Taste is more dark fruit, mostly raisin, and a good bit of bread from the yeast. Alcohol is pretty noticeable on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick, but with very noticeable carbonation.

Overall I'm enjoying this beer, although not nearly as much as the 10. Mouthfeel, aroma, and flavors of the 8 are muted to me in comparison. I wouldn't turn this down again, but for an extra $1 or so a bottle I would definitely pick up the 10 instead.

mtalley999, Oct 14, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a snifter.

A Like the 6 and 10 pours a muddy looking brown color with a off white head that has very good retention.

S some dark fruit notes with toffee and some booze.

T more dark fruit mostly raisin with toffee, caramel and a slight metallic note. Also a bit of spicy yeast.

M Good creamy mouth feel with good carbonation. I love the mouthfeel of this one.

While not as good as the 10,the 8 is still one of the best Belgian beers out there. It is quite tasty and complex which makes it a joy to drink.

beerandcycling88, Oct 12, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle 9,2% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in a Rochefort glass.
BB 05/01/2016

Appearance: Great pour, lightly clouded mahogany body with golden edges topped by a large, creamy beige head that lasts sublimely well and leaves great lace.

Smell: Hmmm, even though the beer was only lightly chilled it needed about 10 minutes for the nose to open up and gain some power. Lots of dark fruit (figs, raisins, dates and cherries and over ripe red grapes), spices (nutmeg and cloves) and surprisingly chocolate dominate the nose. Unrefined sugar, caramel, a light nuttiness, red apples and a musty, earthy quality are also noted.

Taste: The nose was initially very disappointing but opened up superbly as the beer warmed. Sadly the flavour didn't benefit equally from warming and lagged behind the nose in both complexity and power. Figs, stewed plums, dates, cocoa, earthy spices, breadiness and a touch of caramel are all noted.
The flavour is far from bad, but it just seems like a watered down version of the smell.
On the plus side, the abv. cover is pretty good.

Mouthfeel: Medium with a high level of smooth carbonation. Pretty much perfect for a Belgian.

Overall: Sadly a little disappointing when compared to the 6 and 10. Maybe this wasn't the best bottle around - I will have to get another.

Thehuntmaster, Oct 11, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass.

A: A medium brown color with a one finger off white head. Minimal lacing and low carbonation.

S: Spicy sweet smell, with hints of dried fruit and a fairly heavy spicy musty like smell.

T: Flavors of dried fruits, raisons, malt, bread and a spicy yeast flavor. I almost thing I got some dirty and earthly flavors like wood and maybe must/dust. Just nothing besides the spice really jumped out at me.

M: Heavy with a fairly high alcohol feel. The beer seems to coat the mouth fully7.

D: For me the drinkability is low. I finished the 10 ounce (I think it was 10) bottle in about half an hour and I had enough.

Overall I guess Belgians are just not my bag. I don't see what all the hype is about if this is a typical Trappist beer. For me, they are just sort of....dull. I'm sorry I didn't care for this one, I really wanted to try to branch out enjoy some Belgians and I thought this may be the one.

***Updated 10/3/2011***

So I am re-reviewing some of these beers now that my Belgian palate has been refined a bit. I looked back and realized how much I didn't know when I first reviewed this beer. So let's try again.

Poured into a snifter glass from a 33cl bottle (11.2 oz).

A: A medium brownish murky color with a big 2 finger off white billowy yeasty head. Yeast pours from the bottom of the bottle. Gotta love bottle conditioning. Not much glass lacing.

S: These Trappist ales are so distinctive, I can see that now. Smell is sweet fruits with grape bubblegum, dark fruits, candy sweetness, mustiness and some earth tones.

T: Follow the nose. I get a huge amount of grape bubblegum, raisin, cherry, fig and plum mixed with a huge Trappist yeast flavor that yields sugar sweetness plus some mustiness, hay and some earthy notes. Finish is sweet, but smooth and very enjoyable. Much less alcohol than the 10.

M: Full, coating, sweet but enjoyable, earthy and the nice yeasty carbonation. Alcohol is there, but very enjoyable and welcomed.

O: A classic. I enjoyed this more than the 10 because the alcohol and sweetness are far less. This makes the beer more drinkable and enjoyable, but maybe a bit less complex. So be it.

Well, this is now a fair review. A very solid beer that I truly enjoyed and would drink anytime. Classic.

Kadonny, Oct 03, 2011

A: Looks like a slightly cloudy dark Cola with a huge rocky head and tiny bubbles going really fast. Perdy.

S: Purple grape candy, brown fruit, and some spicyness. Really smells like this pear cake/ gingerbread thing that my wife's grandma makes. Hot out of the oven on a cold day type thing.

T: I am disappointed, but I think its more of an issue with this just not being my style than it not being a great beer. There is cognac heat and sweetness (although I wouldn't say that it is sweet. The toung wetting is there but it's not sugary or even juicy-make sense?), pepper the way raw broccoli is peppery, and the spice comes in like sarsaparilla and chewing tobbacco. All the hallmarks of a belgian dark are there too: dark fruit, rich malt, pinch of toast, warming buzzz, hops that are there but really hard to find.

M: Med to full body with plenty of carbonation. Very nice mouthfeel.

O: Again, not my steez. Lots to think about, all well balanced and presented, but not enough of anything I really want to get. I found it to be very "dark" tasting (and I don't mean dark in the beer sense. Dark like listening to The Damed) and the spice profile didn't do it for me.

JimmyTango, Sep 26, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a bottle at BevMo to taste alongside the Westvleteren 8
For someone who didn't (before now) favor the dubbel style, I've definitely evolved to a more enthusiastic stance.

As with the W8, I didn't read any reviews beforehand...I tasted because of where these land on the all time best list.

This one has more carbonation, a slightly bigger head that I ultimately let calm down before proceeding beyond the initial taste. Its cloudy reddish brown with pronounced sediment.

This is artistry in a bottle. Delicious dark fruit. Equaly savory to the Westvleteren. I'm wowed

heymikew, Sep 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pours a murky brown with two fingers of off-white head that recedes into a dense cap with no lacing.

S: Light spice notes at first followed by candy sugar, bubblegum, and lots of dark fruit aromas. There is a very slight buttery note along with sweet bread and yeasty aromas.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are some spice notes up front followed by bubblegum and sweet dark fruits like raisins and plums. Sweet bread and yeasty flavors bring up the finish with a slight alcohol burn.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is creamy and smooth.

O: Overall, a good beer that is much smoother even fresh than most examples of the style. It's quite tasty and smooth, though slightly pricey. Still, it's worth it as an occasional treat.

n2185, Sep 18, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

I head read about this beer brewed by Trappist Monks, I always wanted to try it. I could never find it anywhere, but I stumbled upon a bottle in a little shop in Seattle's pike market.

Nice appearance, cloudy brown colour with a little head. The smell I got was a hint of yeast, smoke and caramel sweetness. The taste was smooth, a little sweet and had some raisin flavour going on. I thought that the percentage of this beer had me to believe that it would taste stronger than it did.

My mouth felt great afterwards, the carbonation was brilliant with no bad after-taste what so ever. Those monk's sure can brew beer, probably better than most.

hoopermcbeal, Sep 18, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Cloudy, brown color with huge head that fades slowly with little lacing.

Aroma: Apple cider, yeast and burnt wood chips are the most predominate notes with a hint of molasses mixed in.

Taste: Sticky sweet toasted malt with a creamy body that fades to a slightly astringent, almost nutty back end and a lingering finish where some traces of the alcohol start to show up. There's just a touch of bitterness in the middle that helps cut some of the sweetness.

The Rest: A top notch Belgian SDA. Perfect for sipping nice and slow.

curasowa, Sep 17, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

The appearance is a wash of cloudy, dark browns and sediment. It has a thick, full head.

It is very aromatic. It has a slightly astringent quality, with a heavy vanilla.

The taste is very complex, with a lot happening at once. It has a good acid component, with vanilla, roasted hazelnut, and burnt sugar.

The mouthfeel has a nice coating effect, which contrasts nicely with the acidity and thorough carbonation.

Overall, it is a great beer that is very well-regarded with good reason. It is a complex beer, with a lot to experience with each sip.

dorianmarley, Sep 16, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

code on the label: 050515 14:10

It pours pale dark brown color with some mahogany tones and also some sediment floating. The beige head is massive starting out with three fingers and receding down to a thick layer of foam that persists throughout. Lacing is spot on.

Aroma is out of this world (gotta love this trappist yeast) with munich caramel, mollasses, dark fruits (figs, raisins, plums, cherries, dates and red grapes), port wine, some chocolate notes and alcohol.

Taste is a yeast showcase as well with some malty, nutty and caramel flavors early on, then raisins, plums and other dark fruits, finishing with peppery spicy phenols that, along with the high carbonation, end up cleansing your palate for the next sip. Malt dominates bitterness as it should, with no hop presence whatsoever.

Body is high with very high carbonation. Mouthfeel is ok but I would take the carbonation down a bit for higher complexity perception. Alcohol is certainly noticeable to the point of almost being too much.

Overall a great representation of the Belgian Strong Dark Ale style. Very rich, powerful and complex beer, to be taken slowly and preferably not so cold.

paulozanello, Sep 16, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Purchase Rochefort 8 and 10 in a Spar grocery store, in Dinant, Belgium.

.33L bottle served in my Chimay Chalice.

A-a cloudy, dark brown with a fluffy two finger head

S-caramelized malt, with an almost nutty tone.

T-carmelized malts with bitter sourness that balances to an earthy bitterness.

M-full bodied with quite a bit of carbonation

D- This is a sipping beer for sure. Little much on the carbonation but it has a good taste.

skypup, Sep 15, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured a massive almost all head of beige color. The body has a hazy burnt sienna brown appearance. Smell is very mild in my sample, with just a little dried fruit reminding me of fig and some caramel. Taste is more of the same flavors, mild, and with a buttery texture. There's a subtle long tingly finish. A fine beer, although personally I didn't experience anything dramatically different in #8 than I did in #6.

MoreThanWine, Sep 15, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Dark brown with deep red highlights. Some sediment floating. Big pillowy, slightly off white, 2 finger head, with supreme retention and awesome lacing.

S: Very malty. Mostly caramel, with some figs and raisins and just a hint of cherries. Maybe a touch of wood and a slight roastiness.

T: Dark fruits and caramel malts blend nicely upfront. Dark fruits come out a bit more towards the middle with figs and raisins. A light bitterness and spiciness comes through. Finishes with a hint of anise and a big bite of alcohol.

M: Full bodied. High carbonation. Very creamy. Alcohol definitely bites the tongue.

O: A great beer except the alcohol could have been hidden a bit better. Not near as complex as the 10, but still a well crafted beer.

doughanson78, Sep 11, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

A-a hazy deep orange brown with a fingers worth of light tan head

S-malt is not as strong as expected from the color, dark fruits, and alcohol

T-much more impressive than the smell, taste is very big with rich malts, chocolate, dark fruits, yeast, and some alcohol warming

M-medium body, high carbonation, smooth

Overall I was not very impressed with the smell but the taste complexity more than makes up for it. Very smooth for such a high abv.

ksimons, Sep 09, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 33 cl bottle into a Rochefort chalice. It feels right that the inaugural pour into the glass is a Rochefort.

Appearance: The color is a deep, murky cherry brown. The bubbles on the frothy off-white head visibly burst and the head fades to nothing quickly.

Smell: This is an exotic aroma. A strange tartness is not the most dominant, but it is the most noticeable. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I think it is green apple and tart cherries. Combined with some rum, red grapes, plums and figs, this is quite interesting.

Taste: The flavor starts sweet and boozy. Rum, plums, sweet cherries, and figs start out with some caramel malt. A light tartness in the middle, white grape, green apple, some tart cherries. The end has some ethyl alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel kind of irks me. It has the beginning of a creamy feel, but then some obnoxious heavy carbonation overwhelms everything. The body feels on the lighter side of medium despite the ABV.

Overall: This is interesting and different, but the carbonation and rum flavor really drop this for me. Kind of disappointed.

KickInTheChalice, Sep 08, 2011
4.33/5  rDev 0%

A: Murky brown with single finger head.

S: more caramel malt and grain than the 6 which for me had more dark fruit. Dark fruit still present, just less so. fig and apricot notes.

T: Apricot and fig with carmelized candy finish. sweet malts intermixed. The spice and yeast character are complex and almost perfect.

M: High carbonation and light to medium bodied. semi dry finish.

O: The aroma takes a back seat to the 6 IMO however the taste is superior.

kylehay2004, Sep 07, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours an opaque liquid with a firm an lasting head ...

nose: very strong with tar and sandalwood notes

palate: nutty, bready, creamy, some toffy sweet notes, nevertheless very dry

ideal occasion: nightcap

a very classy smooth heavy trappist ale ....

Daredevil, Sep 03, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Dark brown, somewhat hazy, and boasts a slightly tan head that is rather thin, but does well being with the lacing just coating the glass and staying afloat.

S: This is a hefty smelling beer. Big fruit notes: raisin, plum, fig, all that dark fruit, cut up and pureed into a crepe filling. Thats what this beer smells like, a delicious crepe filling.

T: Upfront I get a bit of sweetness that carries through to the middle as a burst of caramel, but not sweet caramel, it's more like it's hardened and slightly burnt and mixed with dark fruits mentioned above. The finish has a nice earthy, almost vegetal sensation. The caramel lingers on the tongue well after the finish.

M: Dry, Heavily carbonated, and full bodied.

D: This is a sipping beer at it's best. Defiantly just something to have one of and savor it.

tlazaroff, Sep 01, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A - A dark burgundy color and a huge creamy white head.

S - Dark fruits and sweet malts. Smells similar to the 10. Raisins and dates and such.

T - Caramel and toffee sweetness. The fruits are very much present as well. There is a nice warmth of alcohol coming out at the end.

M - A medium bodied beer and quite a bit of carbonation. The alcohol warms the mouth.

O - I love this beer. Very good and fun to do with the 6 and 10