Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros

33 cl bottel poured into my Rochefort glass
Pours a dark brown color with a one-finger head

A: is full of plum and raisin with a hint of alcohol heat in the nose. A hint of caramel is present as well.

T: is sweet and full of caramel, plum and raisin flavors. Very easy to drink. well done to where only a hint of alcohol heat is present.

M: is full of lingering sweetness of the plum and raisin. Very nice once again. Almost deceptive for the amount of alcohol it has.

Overall, a very nice and drinkable beer! You might want to sip on it as it's deceptively easy to drink.

beerpirates, Sep 15, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle dated 210415 into a Duvel tulip...

A - Pours a deep mahogany color that has nice hints of ruby red when the light hits it certain ways. A nice foamy light tan color 1.5 finger head forms and retains its form quite well.

S - Very fuity and yeaty up front in the nose. Some great dark cherry aromas and other dark fruits. Some slight spice to it that seems to be clove like. Caramelized sugars seem to be present as well. very nice aromas coming from this glass.

T - Sweet dark fruit flavors come out right away with dark cherries, figs and dates most notably present. There are also some raisins and a slight spice detectable as well. A slight alcohol is noticable at the end of the palate, but it is not offensive in any way.

M - A great mouthfeel here for sure. Nice and buttery on the palate. Nothing too harsh or too little in this one. A slight carbonation that makes it feel slightly bubbly on the tongue.

D - Quite excellent. I got through the bottle pretty nicely before I noticed any real alchohol presence. This is one that I certainly will not pass up again in favor of the 10.

KAP1356, Sep 14, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle into my Chimay chalice.

Pours a very dark, nearly opaque mahogany brown. Big fluffy tan head that takes its damn sweet time in going away and leaves a lot of stringy lacing. I can see a bit of gunk collecting at the bottom, looks a bit chunky too. That seems normal for a beer like this, though. As soon as I uncapped this brew, my nose was immediately introduced to the rather assertive aroma of this beer. Lots of fruits, fig and raisin especially, with some plum as well. Some malts and yeast are detectable as well. Definitely one of the more distinctive smelling beers I've ever had the chance of sampling.

Taste has an initial malty sweetness that quickly transitions into some substantial breadiness accompanied by subtle nuances of fruits from the nose, including fig and dates. There's also some yeast detectable as well. Light bitterness, almost nothing from the hops. Towards the end you can taste just a bit of the alcohol, but it's not obtrusive or readily apparent. Finish is bready and slightly boozy. The aftertaste is where this brew really surprised me. As it washed over my palate, a very distinct flavoring of fig and date made an appearance, which was really quite pleasant. Definitely an unexpected treat. The beer is medium-bodied, with a smooth finish and a good amount of carbonation to keep things interesting. Very well-balanced.

Before I knew it, my glass was almost down to nothing! With a very unique and pleasing flavor profile and a superb mouthfeel, this is quite a drinkable brew. The 9.2% ABV is masked very well. Definitely the best example of a Belgian beer I've had yet and it almost certainly raises my interest and expectations of the other Trappistes Rochefort beers.

r0nyn, Sep 11, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a bottle at ~45°F into a tulip glass. Dark brown beer, hazy with good amount of carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass. Even pouring gently into the glass, there was an initial three fingers of fluffy tan colored head. Head retention is excellent, clinging heartily to the glass and leaving lacy foam at the glass. A beautiful example of the type of beer Belgian yeast and brewing can create.

Nose is yeasty, with some raisins and clove. I was expecting a little more aroma, given such a huge head on the beer, but it's still pretty nice.

Taste is a little spicier than what the nose indicates, with raisin and plum. Alcohol is very present mid tongue, tasting like a rum soaked bread, and lingers on the tongue.

Medium bodied beer with high carbonation is fairly aggressive on the tongue, delivering the flavor to your taste buds.

Fairly drinkable despite the high abv.

Overall, a pretty good beer.

nataku00, Sep 11, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Deep mahogony color, rich browns. Little plum of carb floats on top with a ring of off white head. The aromas are lots of dried fruits, raisins, prunes, cherries and cranberries; also dark belgian candy sugar and sweet estery belgian yeast. The flavor is heavily fruity and kinda sweet without being cloying. Rich and malty and still a bit dry. This beer feels buttery in your mouth with just the slightest amount of carb. A little hot from the alcohol but otherwise lovely on a cool evening.

pmlondrigan, Sep 11, 2010

Served in a Westmalle chalice at 12 degrees Celsius

A: dark red brownish, almost no head, slight to no lace.

S: Brown sugar, spices, dark sweet malts, bread.

T: Sweet, bitter, kind of buttery taste, the alcohol it's very present, raisins.

It's a very good beer kind of strong for me the alcohol make me feel like I'm drinking a hard liquor, but it's a round beer that it's going to need a couple of tries before the final verdict.

arturorg, Sep 09, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Aroma here is very rich. Carmelized sugar, dark fruits and rich malt. Very deep. If an aroma can be thick, this is it.

Pours a deep, cloudy amber color. Head is about a half an inch thick....quickly dissapates.

Taste is a lot like the aroma. The body is primarily made up of dark fruit...raisins....brown sugar. Fairly sweet from front to back, there isn't much deviation on the flavor profile throughout. The alcohol is noticeable from the first sip, even when cold. It isn't to the point of being detracting, but it is certainly there. Very little hop bitterness here at all. Finish is fairly dry. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, not quite as thick as I had expected.

Reminds me of a dopplebock with some sweetness reduced, higher carbonation, a thinner consistancy, and with a boozier finish.

I thought it was a pretty good beer, although for the price I can't see myself returning to it for the simple fact that I believe I can get beers that are similar to this for a lot less money. That said, I did enjoy it for what it is.

NODAK, Sep 08, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

This is absolutely incredible and one of the shining stars among Belgian beers in my opinion: complex, full-bodied, balanced and characterful with full flavour yet lots of subtlety.

Hazy brown-red amber, it has a huge tan head steadily shrinking to a lasting tin foamy top and leaves some foamy lace.

Aroma is incredibly wonderful - lots of toast, caramelised bread crust, ginger bread, caramelised plums, raisins & golden figs, then fresh plums, wood, and more. It is rich and complex.

Taste is similarly incredible, complex with lots of zingy herbal wood, rich caramelised bread & spices, lots of rich fruit, esp. plums, caramelised dried fruits. Mostly balanced, it has a faint lean to the sweet side. Despite strong flavour and rich complexity, it is incredibly easy to drink.

Offa, Sep 07, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Hmm, a nice dark mahogany body with a tan head that sits about an inch thick and quickly settles into a nice lace around the glass.

Smells a bit estery with a dark fruit presence. Opens up at bit as it warms, giving of more spicy notes.

Taste is a bit estery and noticeably spicy. These monks really know what they're doing here. A light toasted malt backbone before the yeast really comes in and takes over. Alcohol gives a warm presence without being harsh.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body feel. Overall a great BSDA there really defines the style.

Kinsman, Sep 07, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Special thanks to vapodge for sharing
Poured into a Dogfish Head goblet

A- red/brown, darker than the 6 with a creamy white head

S- malty breads just like the 6 with a bit more of the alcohol in the nose

T- Sweet bready malts at first, fruit works its way in there, nice complexity

M- Smooth, creamy, good carbonation (right on the edge of too much/enough) to balance out the creaminess

D- complex flavor mixed combined with the mouthfeel is awesome!

aepb1, Sep 04, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -18.5%

updated review:

bottle stamped 070715. appearance the same. aroma is better, more malty aroma- but still a bit of that odd "scented dishsoap" smell. I still think the taste is a bit one-noted, but it's better. mouthfeel is the same.

updated score: 5/3.5/3.5/3/3.5

***
330ml bottle. stamped 141014, which I understand to be "best by October 14, 2014". based on research, they are dated 5 years out from bottling.

initial pour into snifter is limited to 2/3 of the bottle, as the creamy head builds to about 3 inches thick and threatens to overflow the glass. a dark chesnutt brown color, but competely opaque, even when held to the light. smell is a wierd boozy soapy aroma.
oddly, the taste seems to lack the typical complex flavor of the style. raisin is the only flavor I pick up. not terrible, just very dissapointing.
mild carbonation and medium body.

based on the discriptions in the other reviews, I really wonder if I got a bad bottle. I'll try to pick up another one when I get the chance and re-review. I'll just give it the average 3 on drinkability for now.

5/2/2.5/3/3

jmdrpi, Sep 03, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Well, after trying the 10, I waited patiently to try this again. Now I have... Wow. Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A: Pours a nice, dark brown. Very foggy brew, I can't see through the glass at all. The head pours nice, creamy, and frothy. Very thick. It dissipates a little, but what's left behind are layers of lace sticking to the glass.

S: Delicious maltiness. Caramel, brown sugar, candy.... Heck, it smells kind of like freshly baked cookies. WOW! After this, I can't wait to taste the darn thing. Very deep and complex.

T: Oh my God. Very sweet brew at first. Tastes almost like cinnamon bread when it touches my tongue. Incredibly sweet, with so much going on I'm playing catch-up with my palate. It doesn't end there, though. After a few moments, it gives way to spicy cloves and just a slight, alcohol twist at the finish. Amazing, really.

M: The body is creamy, albeit kind of light. There's a vague warming that happens thanks to the booze. Perfect carbonation.

D: If this were more affordable, I'd buy it all of the time. Alas, I'm stuck with buying Rochefort by the bottle, and normally only one. That's the beer's biggest downside... I'll take it.

Overall/notes: Once again, Trappistes Rochefort absolutely blows me away. Perhaps it's a notch down from their 10, but it's not a big difference. This is a must for any beer drinker, really. It made for great company while I was doing my homework.

bbkd3b, Sep 02, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%

330ml bottle into Chimay chalice because I don't have a Rochefort one. Best by 4-7-15, enjoyed on 8-25-2010. 1cm light tan head quickly reducing to thin layer of bubbles. Hazy brown color with light purple tint. Maybe the width of the chalice is adversely affecting the perception of clarity.

Aroma of raisins, fresh pine needles and pine bark, toasted cracker/bread, just a hint of charcoal smoke somehow too. Taste initially grapefruit and light pepper, then dried figs, dates, and sweet malt slowly pop up and lasts through a drying bitter aftertaste on the roof of my mouth.

Carbonation feels very crisp but passes quickly, a bit like a quick shot of grapefuit soda. Finishes feeling very nicely balanced. The 9.2% ABV is superbly hidden in the flavors and lingering aftertaste. This would be quite drinkable except for getting plastered from the high ABV. Great stuff, which there had been more than just 1 bottle left at the store when I got it!

milkbaby9, Sep 01, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a dark hazy amber brown with little chunks floating around. Tastes of burnt brown sugar with bready malts lingering. Very delicious. The mouthfeel and finish was quite smooth and so damn easy to drink. I was very impressed with this beer. I would love to try more again soon.

WeedKing4, Sep 01, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

A beautiful, beautiful beer, probably the best Trappist I can find in Singapore.

A: Pours a rich, deep brown into a goblet glass with little head and no lace. In fact this was the 'worst' part of this beer because pretty much everything else about it was exceptional.

S: Warm, rich smell of charcoal, candy and some cinnamon, and lots of wholegrain bread. I almost detected butterscotch and shortbread. The complexity of smells is simply amazing.

T: This is easily one of the best tasting beers in the world. For a beer that packs 9.2% of alcohol it tastes of everything else but alcohol. It tastes a lot of shortbread and rye bread with hints of butter. Imagine a rich, well spread meal with lots of starchy foods. No wonder the monks call this 'liquid bread' because it tasted of pumpernickel, rye bread and brezel. I Was just blown away by the taste. As my friend put it, 'my tongue just had an orgasm tasting this beer'.

M: For a beer this strong it was exceptionally smooth. If it didn't cost S$18 a bottle I would have easily downed a few of these.

D: Do I even need to say anything at this point?

Overall: BEAUTIFUL. Simply BEAUTIFUL. A spectacular, world class Trappist that you know right from the first sip, that this beer is a labour of love by the Trappist monks. I raise my half-empty glass to them in respect.

bala747, Aug 30, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

A-dark murky brown with a luxurious tan head with tightly packed bubbles
S- sweet bready malts rather quiet smell
T- a bold thick sweet taste of cherries brown breads some spice i think its cloves which balances out the sweetness, really tasty, a bit of a boozy finish. Theres a bit of complexity here that i just cant decipher but a really tasty
M- really pleasant carbonation n thickness to this brew
D- i feel the alcohol but this drink redeems itself with its taste
Go out and get one right now I havent tasted something this good in awhile

foogerd, Aug 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured beer into my favorite tulip glass

A - dark brown ruby colored beer with a very dense three finger cake batter colored head that sticks around. Lot's of yeast sediment swirling around in my glass. Beer leaves a light impression of lacing around the glass.

S - Freshly baked bread, malt and a strong fruity yeast profile are present. Be sure to drink this beer on the warmer side of your comfort zone as the flavors really improve the warmer the beer gets. Hints of clove, spices are present with a peppery aroma to the beer. Very complex.

T - Cloves, fresh baked bread, yeast and spices are all present in this complex profile. There is a detectable malt backbone underneath which finishes in the taste. Warm alcohol presence is front and center with this 9.20% beer.

M - Medium body beer that is thick but carries a light to moderate carbonation. Beer is very sticky and bubbly to the tongue.

D - Drinkable beer that masks the 9.20% alcohol very well but it should be quite obvious that sippng this beer and letting it warm up over time will provide more enjoyment and quite an interesting roller coaster of flavors. Very dynamic and complex flavor profile to this beer.

racer2k, Aug 27, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into a tall thin glass.

A: Despite my best efforts to keep the pour calm, it still created a whopping 4 1/2 fingers of head, or in other words as much head as body. This very slowly dissipates as the body builds underneath it. Back-lit this beer looks like orange flame fossilized amber; not totally clear but resonant in a nearly mystical way- a true Trappist ale.

S: Almost no hop profile, but a substantial malt platter makes up the core of this nose. I detect some sweet sugary cherries, and something like artificial lemon, which is interesting but almost detergent-like.

T: One word dominates this flavor: Sweet. There is no initial hop rush or anything but sugary malts and candied dark fruits for the first half of this flavor experience. The sweetness lasts throughout the ENTIRE taste and is still there when the aftertaste is fading. Near the end some toasty malts rise but never really take over. Some minimal hops are noted near the end, but they are quenched in the malts and drenched in sugar.

M: Warm, very smooth, and the slightest bit prickly with alcohol. Beautiful.

D: Highly drinkable, but it lacks any moments of dryness that invite the mouth to come back for more.

Overall: I was blown away by 10, but I am not by 8. This is a well crafted beer, but it seems to overly sweet to me. Maybe I am drinking it to warm, I don't know. Certainly something I will keep trying, and still worthy of the Trappist name. Perhaps it is my own lack of understanding or appreciation that causes my reaction to this beer, for I have hesitation in doubting the monks' ability to craft incredible ale at the Rochefort monastery.

allforbetterbeer, Aug 22, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured on 08/20/2010 into an English pub (real) pint glass, in high altitude Colorado, and again in Ghent, Belgium, and again in Castle Rock, Colorado (I revisit my absurdly high reviews to make sure they're in check). This review largely reflects the bottle I had in Ghent, which was substantially different than the bottles I purchased in Colorado.

Appearance: 3+ finger head retains well. The head sits there for a long time tempting you. Slight carbonation judging by the bubbles. As to be expected from this beer style, it's a very dark caramel-brown, but while clear in its own right, you can't see through it. It isn't a solid colour, but it's not hazy, murky, or even particularly cloudy either.

Smell: Not a bold scent. Has an unpleasant yeasty smell, but overall not an unpleasant character. Not a clean aroma per se. A bit murky. Candied sugar. Caramelized malts. A light raisin aroma. Maybe a hint of nuts. A mild to moderate strength aroma.

Taste: First the core of it hits you - a strong pleasant assault of dark (but not in a stout kind of way) deliciousness, then you get the finish - a kind of nutty but crisp and refreshing blast of goodness that leaves you wanting another sip. It's cleanly and carefully balanced. Lovely biscuity yeast complements, and rides through to the finish. The caramelized malt is pleasant as well. No alcohol comes through. Slight spice on the finish - but not a 'hot' spice, more a neutral cooking spice.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with a touch of teasing coarseness on the finish. Not quite heavy - but moderate. Not overly carbonated, but not flat. A bit dry on the finish. Perfect.

Drinkability: I'd buy me a case if it didn't cost so much. The finish leaves you aching for another. This is a treat to be enjoyed in any season.

As far as strong ales (or Dubbels) go, this may be the best offering I've had. I'd give the Colorado bottles a B rating, but the Ghent serving was definitely an A+.

kojevergas, Aug 20, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into an Engish (real) pint glass at around 6,000ft. altitude on 8/19/2010.

A: Very large head with very good retention. Opaque brown color in the glass.

S: Rather unpleasant yeast-like smell with few other notes.

T: Some of the alcohol comes through a bit in the beginning, but the finish has a nutty flavor. Great taste experience overall.

M: Smooth, with a refreshing amount of carbonation. Leaves a bit of dryness that has me coming back for more.

D: I could drink bottles of this and enjoy it the whole way through.

schlimenhaumer, Aug 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev 0%

11.2oz bottle drank right before i drank the rochefort 8. out of a st bernardus chalice. ill try not to compare the two that heavily, but its going to be hard not to.

A- the beer comes out of the bottle a murky brown colored body with reddish brown highlights when held near a light. a smallish beige head forms and leaves more quickly than i would have expected. nice rings of lacing get left behind.

S- sweet brown sugar and burnt caramel. lots of dark fruits. figs, dates, plums, raisins, and cherries. pretty typical of the style. a little bit of clove form the spicy yeast.

T- the burnt caramel and sweet brown sugar come back just as expected. the dates and figs lead the parade of dark fruits, with cherry, fig, raisin, and plum behind. a little banana too. weird. the alcohol makes an appearance. a little bit of clove in here too.

M- light bodied. high carbonation. about what i was expecting mouthfeel wise. theres a slight warming from the booze.

D- easy to finish this bottle. i think i prefer this one to the rochefort 10. oh well. i really enjoyed this beer.

jwinship83, Aug 20, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a murky chestnut brown with a big bubbly beige head that recedes to a thick rocky cap with bubbles feeding from underneath.

The aroma is sweet with candi sugar, Belgian yeast and plenty of dark fruits, raisins and figs especially. Thick sugary malts and spices are also present.

The taste is a step above the aroma with an array of flavors hitting me all at once. There is an initial sweet fruit and yeasty sweetness which gives way to the chewy malts and candi sugar forming the backbone. The finish is sweet and rich with a boozy presence and a lightly dry finish.

The mouthfeel is lively with lots of carbonation which aids in keeping the body from getting to heavy.

Creamy and dessert-like, this is an after-dinner sipper to say the least. Complex and damn tasty.

gford217, Aug 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured from 11.2oz bottle into 300mL Krusovice chalice.

Appearance: Purs a dark caramel color with a very large tan head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves behind some tiny lace spots. Many bubbles around the inside of the glass. Also has lots of visible pieces of sediment floating around.

Smell: Weak smell overall- plum and slight yeast with alcohol.

Taste: Begins with sweet/tart grape and plum flavors, finishing alcoholic with a hint of yeast. Also has hints of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Fairly heavy body with sharp carbonation and a dry, warming, alcoholic finish.

Drinkability: This beer was actually a disappointment to me. I was looking for a nice, smooth, trappist ale and that is not what I got. This one lacks aroma, isn't very deep flavor-wise, the alcohol dominates a bit too much, and is too heavily carbonated. This is a good beer, but I don't see it as up to par with other trappist brews. I would have it again, though not if other trappist ales were available ahead of this one.

Mosstrooper, Aug 19, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

a: a dark brown color with and of white head that sits two fingers high.

s: a sweet carmeal/ choclate taste

t: simialr to the taste you get sweet choclate but then the beer ends with a mix of fruit and spices

m: a heavy body that sticks around in the mouth, with a medium carbanation.

d: for having the 9.2 abv it goes down easy, but it is thick just like the appearnce. over all a very good beer, that is a must have.

joeland, Aug 18, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a goblet for dark borwn body w/ minimal tan head that died quick. A thick malt presence in the aroma with caramel, cocoa, hints of toffee and roasted malts along with some breadiness and a touch of yeast. Fruit flavors are barely noticeable. Very sweet is the first impression I get. Creamy and smooth with a chocolate, caramel, toffee, and something akin to maple giving off sweetness and some bread/roasted malts balance and give off a dry edge. Some carbonation thanks to minor hop bitterness also lead to dry finish and there is a touch of fruit, like candy fruit or something, that is also in there (I keep thinking orange and grape). Touch of peppery spice as well. A real sweet but balanced ale that has a little bit of something for everyone and is just a must-try for anyone.

clayrock81, Aug 17, 2010