Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros

Smell: sweet and somewhat "smooth" smell; dried fruits, some almonds, some spices (almost like Orval?).

Taste: sweet taste of dried fruits (raisin, plum), almonds and sugar, and figs as well. Some bitterness, but this beer has a soft and smooth character, except for the alcohol.

This is great stuff, but the alcohol is a bit annoying.

simonjohansson, Jun 24, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Consumed 06/23/08.

Pours a deep, cloudy brown into a Triple Petrus tulip glass. A three finger, light tan head forms and slowly reduces to a thin layer of foam. Plenty of carbonation; bubbles stream up constantly.

Aroma is sweet: molasses and dark, pitted fruits. A woody note as well - oak, maybe?
Reminds me a little of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum as well.

Thick and chewy in the mouth with mild tingling of carbonation on the tongue. Finishes a little wet, making the palate ready for the next sip.

Flavor is fairly subtle and nuanced. Must concentrate to pick out the flavors from the overall mix.

Banana rum bread with raisins comes to mind. Spicy: cloves and black pepper also present.

Alcohol very well hidden in this beer, making it crazy easy to drink.

Not one of my favorites, but I admire how well-made this is.

charlzm, Jun 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Alright, the appearance is pretty standard BSDA - dark, with an off white head. I've had a number of these in the past few days and they all look very similar.

The aroma is absolute heaven. Loads of spice (slightly peppery and sweet), fruit (plums, maybe cherries as well?), and the slightest touch of alcohol. The spice character is perhaps the strongest I've ever noticed in a dark Belgian like this, in which fruit is, in my experience, usually dominant. It's top notch.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma. The slightly sweet, slightly sour fruit character that I love about so many Belgian darks is present up front, but it's immediately overcome by spice. The 9.2% ABV is noted on the finish, but it's well integrated and not harsh or fusel-like. A little rumlike, perhaps. I tend to associate this combination of alcohol, spice, and sweetness with good rum. I could personally use a little more balance here, as the fruit character is, to me, too overpowered by the yeasty spice. However, it's hard to lay too much fault a beer this flavorful.

All in all, I could use a slightly more full body for a beer of this potency, but it is still quite smooth and relatively easy drinking. This isn't quite a sipper, but don't guzzle it either. A delightful brew!

BullCityB, Jun 23, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Very cloudy brown color, with a finger or so of off-white head. Decent retention; falls to thick off-white collar. Excellent lacing.

S - Tons of caramel and bread with a definite butterscotch element. Vanilla and wood mingle with the noticable alcohol.

T - Sweet vanilla and caramel hit first, with a dark banana bread backbone. Taste begins drying out quickly mid palate with noticable alcohol. A bit of hop earthiness pulls through near the finish, with a fairly intense bitterness.

M - Somewhat highly carbonated, and a medium/light mouthfeel. More body and less carbonation would make this better for me.

D - I wouldn't ever have more than one at a time. It's not all that intense; it's decent enough, but something about this brew is unbalanced. I much prefer Rochefort 10.

PatrickJR, Jun 21, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

330ml bottle bought at Malt and Vine in Redmond, WA

A: deep mahogany color with a slight orange hue typical of the style. visible fizzyness, very slightly viscous when pouring. HUGE creamy off white tan head, almost 3 fingers worth! Head sticks to the side almost immediately leaving intricate sticky lacing.

S: very malty but with a noticeable hop balance. minimal alcoholic presence, and somewhat phenolic. Nice mix of spices and sweet dark fruit.

T: this is incredibly malty. aftertaste is very sweet. it's complimented by a slight bitterness from the hops, but still feels overwhelmingly sweet. I also detect a roasted nutty essence. earthy and spicy and somewhat vinous but mostly malty.

M: smooth, refreshing, a very slight chewiness about it, but all around a great beer.

D: dangerously drinkable, this is like fizzy grown up juice.

Overall impressions: I was really looking forward to this beer, but after having a Unibroue Maudite, it just doesn't quite stack up. Don't get me wrong this is a GREAT beer, but if we're rating it and comparing it to others in the same style, Maudite is the clear winner.

julian, Jun 18, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the reviews here, I'm wondering if I ended up with an older bottle. Plus, I'm new to the hardcore Trappist brews, so I may be missing some of the nuance with said beers. Nonetheless, here goes.

Served in a 330ml bottle, cap already opened by the waitstaff. Poured into a red wine glass (shame on them for not having a proper goblet).

Decent tan head, but I immediately noticed both a dark sediment poured into the bottom of the glass and lighter sediment floating through the beer itself. A second look at the bottle showed some discoloration on the label. I didn't think to look at the expiry/bottling date, but the appearance struck me that this one was sitting around for some time. A dark sediment remained at the bottom of the bottle, and the homebrewer in me thought for a moment of trying to scrape it out and use the yeast in another beer. But that's too much damn work.

The appearance was mitigated by the beer's amazing smell. Sweet bread, some fruit and spice notes, absolutely enticing. I let the beer settle down a bit before sipping, hoping the sediments would fall to the bottom.

At least to my untrained tastebuds, the beer was fabulous. Warm, malty flavors with hints of banana and clove, followed by a warming alcohol that wasn't overpowering but rather complimentary. Coated the mouth perfectly and was eminently drinkable, though I took my time to let the sediment settle after each sip.

So...again, I don't think the sediment was indicative of the style (I've had American-made Belgian dubbles, tripels and others before), and I definitely plan to get another fresher bottle as soon as possible. But that said, I'm quite impressed regardless. And it went amazingly well with the tender roast beef au jus I had for lunch. I imagine it would go down well with just about any decadent meal.

Newsman, Jun 17, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2oz green capped bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Popped the cap on this one and it bubbled up and over the top of the bottle almost immediately. When poured into the glass it has the appearance of cloudy cola with a quarter inch of tan and sandy brown loosely bubbly head that fades into a cap rather quickly. Maybe it was a result of the initial bubble over but I was hoping for more than this in the looks department.

S: Luckily the smell redeems the appearance because it is absolutely wonderful. Rich ripe fruits rolled in clove and a sweet kind of spiciness. These are the first things that greet the nose, apple, sweet rum raisin, and bold caramel are the most predominately featured aromas and it really has got me going crazy about thinking how this one is going to taste.

T/MF: Rich and buttery with an incredibly lively carbonation that creates and intense flavor profile and mouthfeel. Super rich and sweet malts ripple over the tongue as the intensely bubbly liquid coats the entire mouth top to bottom. This beer is delicious and it feels almost criminal to try and describe the flavor because I don't think I can come at all close to what I am experiencing. Super ripe apple mixed with clove and caramel and sweet rum drenched raisins is as close I feel I am ever going to get. Phenols just a bit too high for my taste and what keeps it from getting a higher score, but everything else is just fantastic.

D: A good sipper, alcohol is well hidden so as not to cloud the overall flavor of this beer. One is all that I would want to have because this beer is as rich as any I've ever tried.

bluemoonswoon, Jun 17, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted in a brandy snifter. Pours deep brown and copper in color with a 2 finger head with good retention. The aromas are intense and complex; big on clovey honey, brown sugar, and figs. A very nice floral element with notes of hibiscus and violates. As it warms notes of chocolate, fried plantains, bread, and toffee start to emerge.

The complex aromas carry over to the taste beautifully. Nice refined carbonation and big full body. It hits the front of the mouth with sweet figs, brown sugar, and bread. Then it moves on to delicate floral flavors in the middle and finishes with a little pepper with very nice balance. It leaves a pleasant after taste that leaves you wanting more.

I got equally as excited when I tasted this beer as I did the first time I tasted it two years ago. This is truly one of the best beers in the world. Now if I could just find some more 10...

SeanRCole, Jun 17, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark brown with a nice one inch of tan head after a gentle pour. Retention was excellant with plenty of lacing.

The smell is subdued but I detect some candy sugar, dark fruit, and cloves. Alcohol is not detected.

The sweet malt comes through in the taste. It is combined with a dark fruit and spice flavors to make a great tasting beer. Just a little alcohol warming during consumption.

Medium body but the carbonation seems to be a little harsh if you try to rest the beer on the tongue.

I prefer this to Rochefort 10. The alcohol is little more subtle but it is still high and limits drinkability. Very expensive and hard to find in my area as well.

morimech, Jun 08, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Dark brown with a huge head.

Smells delicious, fruits and spices.

Taste is full of spices (clove, cinnamon) and fruits (apple) as well as caramel. Alcohol warming in the finish. Fairly complex, though I still found the 10 more to my liking.

Mouthfeel good, coats the mouth nicely.

Can't go wrong with this one, but I wasn't blown away like I was the 10.

Strix, Jun 08, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours dark brown with a thick, lasting one finger head. Aroma of toffe, chocolate, dark fruits, and yeast. Extremely complex beer with notes of vanilla, toffee, and chocolate. Has a strong vineous quality. This beer has a lot going one. Very smooth finish. Exceptional beer.

RomanW70, Jun 01, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bought a case to share with friends, from one of the importers here in beijing.

330ml brown bottle poured into tulip. "best by" date of 051212 (5th of dec, 2012 - ie, bottled five years before: 5th of dec, 2007)

bottle is a gusher however... (more on this later)

translucent amber brown, decent head fades to thin layer, but with somewhat minimal lacing.

scent is faintly medicinal with spice note. yeast hint. something is "off" however... hints of vinegar and funk... makes me wonder if this case wasn't stored properly in the warehouse.

flavor has woody notes, again some spices and a heavily caramelized malt note, with a moderate bitterness, but overall the taste also seems "off" again, with a sour funkiness that collides with the bitterness in the finish...

not too thin, but definitely OVER-carbonated. again, maybe a bad batch?

hmm... will have to secure a different batch for comparison. will do so ASAP.

tai4ji2x, May 29, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

had this at my local spot last night during a short session trying some of the belgians on their list that I hadnt tried or had forgotten. Holy cow did this one stand out!

The smell was a little subdued at first but it was served a little too cold. Once it warmed it really opened up. The taste was incredibly complex with Belgian sweetness weaving in and out of a host of other flavors

Typically, the high ABV would temper my drinkability rating but honestly, this stuff was so drinkable that its dangerous.

A true revelation for me I will be coming back to this one again and again.

brushtachio, May 28, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a dark brown with bubbly clean white head. Very large bubbles. Moderate lacing.

S - Dark fruit sweetness. Maybe some raisins? Also a hint of alcohol.

T - Sweet malts and alcohol. Has a nice little spice to it as well. Caramel and plums in the taste. Very flavorful brew.

M/D - A little on the thin side but a full flaovred very dinkable brew.

ckeegan04, May 28, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

11.2oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a chalice.

A: Pours a dark brown with sunset ruby hues when backlit. Monstrous off white head forms tight and holds quite awhile. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Pleasantly sweet malts, caramelly with a bit of buttery richness. Alcohol is subdued.

T/M: A decent spicy yeast kick with some pepper and earthy, crusty dark bread. Sweetness a lighter than expected, lending just a touch of caramel that tastes a little held back by a growing alcohol line. The alcohol is tasty and leans toward the rye side. Body is just above medium with lively enough carbonation, yet a pleasant smoothness on the back end.

D: Overall, not as strong of a taste as I would have though, but enjoyable nonetheless. 9.2% is gonna make this less drinkable but it goes down easy enough.

pwoods, May 26, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a Rochefort goblet (damn sexy glass) drank over the course of 20 minutes so it warmed from fridge temp to perfection. Complex flavor through out. If there was ever a reason to become a monk this would be it. I am a Beer Advocate and I advocate this beer with 2 hearty thumbs up!

bbdog, May 24, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -16.9%

Nice dark brown (a little clear) pour into a rochefort goblet. The head is somewhat thin, but stays through the whole experience.
OK, before you all shoot me about the aroma, I was a little scared when I got to this point of the beer, I could pick few little things out, but almost my entire nose picked up a scotch aroma (I am not a fan of scotch), the aroma balances out better when drinking the beer.
Taste was a very nice suprise after the scare, this thing has a nice spicy flavor to it (cinnamon, clove), but what I really liked is the touch of chocolate that comes through.
Mouthfeel is a little thin, but smooth and very nice, this is a beer I wouldn't mind sitting down and enjoying on occation, but there are more I will go for first.

Glad I was able to try it.

mnstorm99, May 22, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; opaque reddish brown with no light passing through, little retention and lacing, mud like yeast at the bottom after some settling; I find this a beautiful sight.

Smell: Sweet, dark and fruity rum with clove-like hint and just a little alcohol sneaking in.

Mouthfeel: Huge chewy feel with no carbonation, just a little tingly spice on the tongue, earthy feel at the bottom from that yeast.

Taste: Utter smoothness, fruity and spicy malt goodness. This just get better and better as the yeast to beer ratio increases. I pity the poor fools drinking pasteurized beer right now.

Drinkability: Smooth beyond belief, complex and changing as you drink it, well worth the ~$5 a 330ml bottle.

joezak5, May 22, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours deep Ruby brown with a rich,foamy head with a surviving half inch lace. The aroma is of dark fruits,chocolate,plums,grapes and malts. The taste is chocolaty,sweet,earthy,malty,fruity and phenolic. The alcohol is there and yet it is so well masked.The mild spices are so well balanced with the complex taste. So complex,so rich!
The overall feel is creamy,rich,great carbonation,crisp,smooth,bubbly and some mild bitterness in the finish. The stinging alcohol is not too overwhelming yet it lets you know -RESPECT ME,I AM HERE!
Seriously, So complex and special.

Notes: I do not buy into hype,but this is another example of why Belgium is so unique in the beer world. The brew is memorable in every sense of the word. Expensive,but worth it.

Lexluthor33, May 19, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been in a "Belgian" mood lately. My buddy recommended the Rochefort 10, but all the store had was the 8. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

The slender bottle unleashes a beautiful brown ale with carbonation all over the place. The brew fits nicely into my Flat Earth goblet. A tremendous fluffy off-white head crowns this brew. It lasts forever. I let the beer sit for about 20 min to warm up and the head is still an inch and fluffy. The next perception is the wonderful aromas present. You do get a faint aroma of alcohol, but this quickly mixes with brown sugar and a indicipherable fruitiness. The fruitiness is complex and I can't quite put my finger on the fruits present, but they are sure nice. There is a bit of spiciness present as well.

The flavors are an extension of the aromas. A light alcohol taste hits you initially. This is followed by the soft sweet taste of the malts. I taste dark sugars and fruitiness reminiscent of raisens. There is some mild spiciness from the hops and a slight yeastiness. Very complex flavors, many of which that I cannot even begin to pinpoint. The important thing is that they all blend together in the taste to give you a malty sweetness, followed by a mild fruitiness and ending w/ a soft spicy note. The mouthfeel is spot on with a medium body and a smooth finish. This beer just belongs in the mouth.

Definitely a "wow" beer. This is another reason why Belgium is the Disneyland of beer. THe number 8 shows us how complex beer can be. I would definitely like to enjoy another, however $5.50 for one beer is a bit steep for me. I will have to pick it up again some other time however. I would say this is a definite "must-have" for any beer lover.

brewdoc75, May 18, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

A- Pour was busy, lots of head formation.

S- Very strong and fruity.

T- Fruit notes, such as pear, and I'm getting a earthy taste the more I drink it with a nice spicy alcohol aftertaste. I don't know if my tongue is just asleep or what, but I find the beer not quite as exciting as I would have thought. I was expecting something a little more fruity in flavor.

M- Very bubbly in your mouth.

D- It is for sure a Belgian style brew.

Wetpaperbag, May 15, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

A- A deep amber color with some cloudy brown to boot. The head is a thin white, but has some excellent retention due to the massive amount of carbonation.

S- Loads of bubble gum with some light fruit, caramel, a little potpourri, and a little alcohol on the tail end. Very complex and enjoyable and unlike anything I have smelled before.

T- Some caramel, earthiness, alcohol, fruit, flowers, a little bit of a vegetable aspect. Again, very complex and unlike anything I have ever had before. It took a little getting used to, but once my palate adjusted and the more I got into it, the more I realized I was tasting greatness.

M- Very light in the mouth due to the high amount of carbonation. Also, the aftertaste was very dry. But, everything seemed to work decently well with this to keep all the flavors alive and to keep things from becoming muddled.

D- The alcohol level is high and noticeable, but it was not harsh in any manner. This is a very interesting beer and well worth a purchase. I am really impressed, but not completely blown away.

david131, May 14, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

330ml bottle
9.2% ABV

I tried this beer on December 28, 2007 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a dark brown with a huge generous brown head that lasted and lasted. The aroma was very yeasty with some dark fruits and spices. The mouthfeel was full bodied with some mild carbonation. The flavour was very malty followed by some yeasty tones. A very good beer, but not as good as the '10'

cyrenaica, May 13, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a goblet (this is my new goblet's maiden voyage).

A = Cloudy dark caramel/amber color. Two fingers of tan/white head, that goes down to a solid 1/8th inch head.

S = Lots of malty sweetness; chocolate; caramel; dark cherries; and a hint of alcohol. Truly wonderful smell.

T = Apples, some figs, a bit yeasty (in a lemony/acidic sort of way if that makes any sense), and pretty malty. More like the smell (see above) as it warms. Nice, soft hop bitterness and a little taste of alcohol in the finish. A bit of dark fruit in the aftertaste.

M = Very smooth. Medium body. Medium to high carbonation, but it doesn't "attack" or overwhelm the tongue.

D = Very nice. I like other Belgians a bit more, but this was very enjoyable. Great for when you're hankering for a quality, malty beer.

ClashmoreMike, May 07, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: It pours a dark chestnut brown color. It's full of haze and chunks of sediment roaming the glass. Head is very active, about a finger and a half deep, and slightly off-white in color. It receded very quickly and leaves a thin film of lace that lines the glass.

Smell: Up front, it has a strong sour, slightly acidic aroma. It mellows a little and allows dark fruit fragrances (plum and prune) to emerge. It's sweet and very malty smelling. There's a hint of lemon and banana present. Belgian yeastiness is prevalent toward the end.

Taste: It's very consistent with the smell. Initially, it's very malty and sweet. It is sour and a bit acidic. The sour flavor mixes well with the dark fruit, lemon, and banana flavors. It creates an nice, complex flavor. There's a light spicy taste that's well done and adds to the complexity. It is yeasty and just little bread-like. Alcohol is ever so slightly noticeable as it goes down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Carbonation is high and very active. It's pretty typical for the style and I've grown very fond of that characteristic. It's got a nice, smooth feel, but it's a little short of excellent. Drinkability is very good. It's strong, but goes down very easy for a beer of its strength.

Rochefort 8 is damn good beer. It's not quite as good as 10, but it's far from a slouch. The acidic taste is just a tad too much for my taste. It's not bad or offensive, but it could be toned down a little. All in all, this a fine beer. Certainly one to seek out.

prototypic, May 05, 2008