Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +9%

The world class rating is very much credible. Belgian strong dark ales are my favorite and this one may be my favorite of the style. 11.2 oz. bottle poured, unfortunately, into a pint glass.

It pours a murky brown with a wonderfully large fluffy head that slowly dissolves into a smaller creamy one. It laces well all the way down to the last sip.

It smells fantastic. Very sweet bread like and malty aromas fill the air around the glass. Ripe fruit esters are also present.

Even with a 9.2 abv this beer just goes down so easily and smoothly. Lots of dark fruit flavors, raisins for sure, it has that great Belgian yeast flavor. A gorgeous, complex beer.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Beer is brown and really hazy. Forms a thick off white head made up of small and medium bubbles. I cannot determine the level of carbonation due to the haziness. Head leaves some lacing on the glass.

Sweet smell, nice aroma that includes fruit and a strong malt presence. This beer smells wonderful. I can pick up a slight alcohol aroma as well.

Spicy, medium body, sweet and peppery (is that allowed in a beer review). Beer bites me at first, a big shock. I'm thinking I should grab a few of these and age them for years. Drinkability is good and mouthfeel is good. Second taste, beer is a little thin for my expectation, taste is pretty good, a little bready / biscuity, not as aromatic or honey like as I expected. Overall a good beer but not my favorite trappist.

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite the interesting beer, pours a murky greenish grayish brownish color, reminiscent of pond water. Topped with a fluffy tan head, nice retention, little light on the lace.
The first sniff is all rum and coke. Cuba libre sin limon Verde. Strong vanilla and cola nut booziness going on, some raisin in there as well.
The taste starts with some burnt caramel, the raisins reappear soaked in booze. Light floral notes swim in the rum and raisin see. There is just a touch of sourness going on, balanced in the back by some clove.
The mouthfeel is a bit thin with ample carbonation, finishes very dry.
easy drinking for the the abv but a little bit off. I think I would like this more if it were less attenuated.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Gorgeous deep orangy Brown with a big foamy head

S: Nice light smell. Spicy and sweet with no overpowering booziness.

T: The alcohol (9.2%) is hidden behind an almost light malty flavor. Sweet but with enough spice to keep it from overpowering the beer. No high in hoppiness and not too boozy.

M- Smooth as butter with enough burn to remind you that you're drinking a real beer.

D- One of the most drinkable beers over 9% I have ever tasted. Absolutely smooth and without a strong alcohol taste. Beer drinkers at all levels could drink this one with relative ease.

The world class reputation matches the flavor.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

The last I bought from Joe Canal's. Poured into a snifter. Pours a murky brown color with a fluffy off white colored heading that sticks around for a bit.Ridiculous amount of sediment in the glass. (tried to decant slowly but no good)

Smell is a bit grainy along with decent bready aroma. Softer fruits come in to play for a bit.

Taste is all the same as the nose. Starts out a bit grainy followed by a soggy bread taste,also some banana and finishes clovey and spicy.

Mouthfeel is great. Alot going on in the mouth. Spiciness tingles and damn near numbs the teeth and settles in the belly all nice and warm like. Full bodied and crazy carbonation.

An easily drinkable beer but I was a little aggravated with the amount of sediment I got in this beer. It was almost like I had gotten the bottom of the barrel in my bottle.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a snifter.

This beer just looks awesome. Murky, pond-water brown with a big pillowy head and tons of lacing. It smells even better. I get hints of very flower hops, slight lavender, grape juice, and molasses. I pick up more of the molasses after I give it a good swirl in my glass. Smelling this beer would not get old.

Upon tasting, I pick up much more of that lavender, along with a bitter roasted characteristic similar to Orval is some respects. The maltiness of it is just twisted, wrung out by the yeast character. Alcoholic phenols abound. A sweet, grape taste lingers on the tip of my tongue. This beer is one-of-a-kind delicious.

This is obviously not an every-day drinker, but this stands out as one of the best beers I've ever had, and while, at about $6 a bottle in the states, I don't see myself buying this often, I would be incredibly grateful to take it off any of my friends hands if they happen to have a few sitting around.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a dark murky brown with hints of red, big carbonation and a nice dirty white head. Nose is great, booze, dried fruits, mainly dark ut I did taste grapes? Taste followed the nose very closely but the taste was incredible, spice, fruits, booze. Drinkability is perfect and spot on.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

From notes. Huge effervescent head lingers then fades to nothing. Active, hazy, medium brown with visible yeast chunks. Some richness to the color when backlit.

SMELL> rich malty sweetness, ripe dark fruit, fruity esters. Strong, complex, and balanced, with long legs.

TASTE> Tempered malty sweet base with some moderately assertive hop bitterness, a bit boozy and dry. Dark fruit is less prominent than in the nose, but still there. Belgian yeasty character subdued.

FEEL>warming, medium body, pretty dry, even before the finish. Some mild bitterness.

OVERALL>Easy drinking special treat. More bitter and less sweet than expected and than most Belgians of this ilk.

Review from Old notes circa 2005

A: dark brown it is nearly the same color as the bottle it comes in, some lacing but not too much, a little cloudy and brown in color.

S: Its complex blend of sweet raisin/plum like malt and a slight hint of yeast and hops. You get a medium blast of alcohol. a hint of spice, very interesting and complex blend.

T: At first sip you get a warm back of throat feeling of alcohol. The bite of alcohol is very easy to handle. Main taste is the sugary malt blend that has highlights of plum/raisins, I detect some pepper, and some clove like flavors with some sweetness of the yeast blend.

M: medium to thick body, heavy finish, you know your drinking a strong brown ale, as it should be.

D: I almost always drink these as a flight, but I also when In Belgium to buy these buy the case for about a buck a pop, so I drank 3 or 4 in a row many times.

Rochefort and Orval are the 2 beers I buy for myself every time we land in Benelux area.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

A: The appearance was a nice solid brown color, with a cream colored head. Didn't have the proper glassware to pour into, so I had to use a regular pint glass.

S: Smelled of fruits and some fairly sweet flavors.

T: The taste was out of this world. I rated it a 5 for a reason. I'm very impressed with how this developed in my mouth, and made me want my next drink even more than the last. An almost bittersweet blanket was on the back end of my pallet at the end.

M: The mouthfeel was full bodied, but carried over the bittersweet blanket.

D: This beer, was amazing, and if it wasn't $7.00 for 11.2 FL OZ, I'd surely drink this more often. However, you get what you pay for, and this beer, I'm more than willing to pay more for.

Overall, if you can get your hands on it, which I know you can if you try, please do yourself a favor and grab it and savor it. Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

first trappist product for me!

poured into a relatively large wine glass.
it pours a mahogany brown with ruby red highlights. now that i think of it, i dare say it overall gives off a purple color, something i'm not used to, but i like it. not a whole lot of head, i didn't pour it aggresively, but its off white and its bubbles away. not a whole lot of lacing.
what a beautiful smelling beer. smells of dark fruits. a little alcohol is present in the nose too.
well, from my first experience so far, monks know what they're doing. tastes great. i get some dried dark fruit taste that i got from the nose. there is a warming alcohol feel as it goes down.
carbonation is right on, the strength of this beer shows. i can taste alcohol a little more than i prefer.
this is definitely a beer to be had in large quantities. a sipper, definitely enjoyable that way.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a Chimay goblet. Small fizzy head with creamy film and equal lacing once head dissipates.
A- Brown body with amber tones when held up to the light

S- Plums, fig, cherry, vanilla. It is definitely holding up to the average complexity of the style. If anything, it smells exceptionally blended which can make it difficult to pick out the myriad of what's really going on in here. Every sniff brings something new.

T- Wow, so good. It meets the smell but adds a little coffee. If I hadn't read the previous review I don't think the "cola" flavor would have hit me but when I was looking for it I could definitely taste it.

M- Warming, lightly carbed, nice body for the style, could gain a bit from a little more body but is beyond "acceptable"

D- I could drink this often. Only one or a couple a night would do, but if my wallet would let me I would drink this all the time

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Another from the Belgium haul. Poured into the great Westy glass. A nice hiss of carbonation on opening.

Appearance - Pours a nice nutty brown, seems to have a hint of deep amber when held to the light. An inch of toffee colored head slowly settles into a quarter inch cap.

Smell - Deep fruits. Cherries, as well as some plum. Maybe raisin as well. A malt sweetness as well. Can smell the alcohol. Also, almost some cola. It smells nice, a little subdued.

Taste- There is a real alcohol presence. The cola taste comes up front, unexpectedly, maybe with some chocolate as well. A chocolate malted, honestly. It's nice, but a little lacking. A hint of roast coffee on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation, but a tad thin.

Drinkability- Pretty good, but that sweet cola finish, with a hint of roast is a little tough.

This is a good beer, but I was a little disappointed. Glad I tried it, but I'd rather get a 10, or an Abt 12 any day of the week.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Brown with an airy, foamy, light tan head, much like the one you would find on top of a Coke or Pepsi. Cloudy swirls of flake-laced sediment descend from the layer of head giving this beer an unappetizing appearance.

S: Nice bit of caramel malts, cola, and alcohol.

T: Surprisingly light malt character. Very smooth and not overly sweet. Cola, raisin, fig, and a little bit of cocoa. Alcohol is quite present.

M: Medium body with higher carbonation.

D: WTF!?! Is it possible to find a shitty bottle of this stuff lying around somewhere? I sure hope so, because this beer was thoroughly unimpressive and more than a little disappointing. Light in flavor, lacking complexity, and an unappetizing appearance made for a lackluster beer. However, there were no off-flavors, skunkiness, or funky esters, so I've got to question if this really was a bad bottle. Since this beer is rated so highly, I will do my best to track down another bottle and adjust my ratings accordingly, because I have a hard time believing this is the same beer.

3.68/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: red/brown in color, moderate carbonation, cloudy with sediment, 1 inch head that disappates quickly

Smell: sour fruit and fig

Taste: sweet malt, candied apple, raisin, fig, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body with medium/high carbonation

Drinkability: A very good beer. While the alcohol is well masked it is not totally hidden. A decent sipper, but I was not blown away like I was with 6.

Poured very gently into a tulip glass. Trappist of this caliber are the best of the best IMHO.

A: it is nearly the same color as the bottle it comes in, some lacing but not too much, a little cloudy and brown in color.

S: complex blend of sweet raisin/plum like malt and a slight hint of yeast and hops. You get a medium blast of alcohol. a hint of spice, very interesting and complex blend.

T: first sip you get a warm back of throat feeling of alcohol. The bite of alcohol is very easy to handle. Main taste is the sugary malt blend that has highlights of plum/raisins, I detect some pepper, and some clove like flavors with some sweetness of the yeast blend.

D: first two are easy as cake to drink, after that well your most likely a tad drunk, but other than having to pay for these i think its as good as it gets.

This and westy is the best in the world for me. and this 1 I can buy in the states, I cleaned out a few places for this, so merry xmas to me.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from long neck bottle into snifter

Appearance-Dark brown in color, significantly darker than the #6 and a bit hazier; not very heady and it doesn't leave much of a lacing; all in all I'd say the #6 is a more 'attractive' beer in terms of appearence.

Smell-A malty butteriness predominates the aroma alongside a hearty whif of alcohol that's somewhat reminiscent of rum. Some fruity aromas as well but honestly, they seem to be taking a backseat to the malt character and strong alcohol presence which overwhelms the senses.

Taste-Malty carmelly/butterscotchy sweetness intermingles with an alcoholic bitterness, much like the aroma. Malt character and taste predominate the flavor of this brew, there are some fruity undertones and a phenolic spicyness as well but honestly it all takes a backseat to the pronounced malt character and strong alcohol presence. It tastes far more straight forward and aggressive than the #6.

Mouth Feel-Very nice; thick, rich and silky-smooth.

Drinkability-This is definitely more of a sipper than the #6, I couldn't have more than a few of these.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

11.2 oz bottle poured into my CCB tulip.

A: Distictly brown. The pour produced almost 3 full fingers of sand colored head that receeded slowly to a quarter inch and retained for the entire glass. A lot of sediment in this one. Some spotty lace also make an appearance.

A: Begian yeast, bread, raisin, caramel, and maybe some pear. Caramel malt shines, but there is an underlying citrus tone.

T: As the beer warms, the flavors explode. I notice first off, how sweet the brew is. Very caramely. As the beer makes it's way over my palate, the strong raisin and figs hit the tounge. Then come the biscuits and bread. Very complex. The beer finishes with a pronounced alcohol heat.

M: Medium to heavy, but with aggressive carbonation. Very tinglely at the back of the throat.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just ok for me here. It is just overly sweet. Overall, very good example of the style. The appearance will take a hit from the abundant sediment, but when I'm in the mood for a belgian, which isn't that often, I'll look to pick this one up. Skal.

dark brown, tan head quickly dissipating. good lacing. a little bit of sediment, not sure if this is normal.

brown sugar, figs, booze, dark fruits standart smells of a strong dark belgian ale.

taste is more of the same. a little more sweetness though

creamy mouthfeel with moderate-high carbonation.

not to heavy good drinkability.

kind of an average example of the style, but i like the style so its all gravy.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

poured from a 11.2oz, into my tulip. best before 11/03/14

(A) pours dark brown with a mild head that dissipates but leaves behind bubbles around the glass, very inviting.

(S) nutty, but very subtle the smell is not overpowering.

(T) very well balanced between the malt and the bitterness of the hops. leaves a hint of the alcohol on the tounge as an after taste. a well built beer.

(M) a good thick beer that is lightly carbonated goes down smooth like butter

(D) very drinkable beer, not sure i would want to drink this all the time.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a rather regal "Trappistes Rochefort" chalice, I can tell this will be a treat. Excellent head and retention, body a murky brown with some stuff floating around. I wasn't exactly careful pouring the bottle, so as such, I will not penalize the beer.

Aroma is a little muted. I smell some nice sweet raisin-ginger bread, just not very strong. I almost wonder if this ultra-wide-mouthed bowl-shaped chalice is actually the best glass for capturing aromatics. I'll score slightly above average since the sweet raisin bread I *do* smell is pretty nice. Wait, wait...what's that....I obviously served this too cold, because the aroma is really starting to open up to more of the potent rum-raisin I was expecting.

Ahhh, now this is a treat. Big and substantial flavor profile, yet with that light, airy Trappist feel that is without rival. Raisins and cloves, cinnamon bread, quite sweet up front but coming to a dry finish of slightly medicinal phenols and nippy hop. Like many Trappist beers, the alcohol is not *entirely* buried - it pops up just enough to let you know it's there.

It's an excellent sipper, and lives up to its reputation. I wouldn't want more than one at a time, though, it's not that kind of beer. It's funny that this is considered the weak sister of Rochefort 10, because it's pretty damned potent in its own right.

3.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a snifter. Even though I poured slowly, this was a fizzy one. After the ridiculously huge head settled, a deep murky beer apeared. I was underwhelmed by the aroma, alcohol and bread. The flavor is high on alcohol, some sweetness and a malty bready backbone. It does have a creamy mouthfeel, but is overcarbonated for my liking. A decent sipper, but I was very disapointed by this.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a tulip- an opaque brown with a slight hint of red and a tanned foamy head that lasts. Earthy nose, with a nice mix of raisin/ dark fruits and malt. Well-balanced taste- the fruit notes and bitterness pair well with the alcohol. Nice thick velvety mouthfeel. Slightly alcoholic finish, but nothing to overpower the balance of this beer. While I personally prefer the 10, this is a fantastic brew, worthy of all its praise.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Dark hazelnut brown body, opaque in clarity. High flocculating yeast floaties reside at bottom of glass. Tall, 1'' collar of off-white foam stays throughout consumption.

S - Complex malt character with low phenolic notes, backed by a yeasty aromatics. Mild fruit esters.

T - Sweet malt palate with complementing undertones of phenolic spice from yeast. Grainy yeast character meshes with slight ending bitterness of hops. Alcohol flavor and spice phenolics only complement this Ale.

M - Medium, rich body with high carbonation. Very low warming from ABV.

O - One of the best Belgian Strong Dark Ales, and worthy of being one of the most notable Trappists.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Split a 330mL, poured into tulip.

Ar: Dark fruit, floral, tart and fruit, raisins, plums, hints of pear/peach, light hop presence, light alcohol, earhty, perfumy

Ap: Clear medium amber, mousselike tan head, great retention, smooth lace

F: Crisp nutty/toasty malt, raisins, prunes, dates, caramel, toffee, fruity/floral notes are unique, very dry and crisp, light alcohol, dry earthy malt, mild chocolate, dark but not roasted, very nice fruit (perfumy, almost tripel-like), peach, pear, candy sweet, bitter and alcohol at end, evolving complex taste

M: light warming/hot alcohol, high fine smooth carbonation, very well attenuated, slightly rough alcohol end

O: unique fruitiness, very dry, could be lower in acohol, great beer

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort