Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

33cl pours a dark dark cola brown, hints of light coming in around the edges. Slowly oozes out of the bottle so I quickly pour it into a glass, decent head that dies quickly and leaves a nice lacing over the top.

Nose is a mix of raisins, caramel sweetness, a hint of spiciness.

Taste is smooth but not sexy, strong but not bold, great but not astonishing. Some nice spices, cake, caramel, plums and slightest citrus notes, vinous, alcohol in the finish. Smooth mouthfeel with just enough carbonation to carry it through with a dance.

Really a nice, complex beer. I would definitely drink any time it was available and would delight in it - though I am not sure if it ranks with the best of the best. Still, can't detract - a great beer.

ritzkiss, May 27, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

Got this down the road at the bottle shop.

From a bottle into a Rochefort Chalice.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1 finger medium looking tan head that quickly pops and fades away to a decent film. Some carbonation evident, but lots coming up from the middle, decorating the glass. Colour is a brown or russet brown. A decent film stays until the end and leaves a little bit of lacing down the sides.

SMELL: A relatively weak nose. Caramel malt and some toffee. Hints of sweet pears and apples, as well as some sweet brown sugar, but not as spicy as I had hoped and expected. Nice, but needs to be much bolder to really make a statement. Average at best.

TASTE: Really lacks initially; nothing up front really. A slight hint of caramel malt and some brown sugar, like the nose, but that's about it. The second act is much more impressive, with a dose of spices, cloves and coriander again, and finishes with some warming spicy alcohol. A strong and long lasting aftertaste has some sweet sugar and lots of spicy elements, with some spicy alcohol the whole way through the end. The initial taste was a big let down, but the second part was good and effectively saved the show.

PALATE: Medium thin body, higher end carbonation and slightly airy going down as well. Slightly more creamy smooth than the Roch 6, it goes down without a bite and finishes with a touch of dryness on the palate. Decent, but nothing overly special. Average.

OVERALL: A decent brew, but nothing worth writing home about. Like the Roch 6, this one doesn't even approach the class of the Rochefort 10. A brew I'd have again, but wouldn't use cellar space to keep in the house. Unfortunately, this one is probably more hype than anything else.

Jeffo, May 25, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

I like this beer but I don't love it. I really think this might be my first true let down beer. It's just a belgian version of a brown ale. It's not all that spectacular to me.

Poured into a St. Bernardus apt 12 glass this beer has a dark brown, yet clear look, with a white puffy head that dies to nothing - no lace, nothing (after only 1 minute). So far it's not looking good (pun intended) for hold Rochefort 8.

I loved the nose on 10 but 8 is rather bland. There's not much going on at all. It's smell is much like a homebrew all grain wart I helped make last weekend (that was a rye wheat).

The flavors are much more refined and complex than the nose on this beer. I really didn't expect to have this marriage of malts. The first taste is toffee and caramel that is whisked away by the carbonation (a bit much for my taste - where's the head???). The next pour does coax a head out of hiding but it's gone as fast as it came. There is no hop character but I didn't really expect one after trying the 10.

Mouthfeel is light, a bit over-carbonated and a touch thin for my taste.

Drinkability is off the charts. For a beer over 9% abv this is an easy drinker. I couldn't decide between this and a barleywine for my after dinner drink tonigth, but I think this was a fine choice.

Overall, this is a good but not great beer. For me the 8 is a mere shaddow of the greatness that is Rochefort 10. Both are no match for St. B apt 12. I'm a bit dissappointed but glad that I can still be surprised; even if it's a bad surprise.

PerzentRizen, May 21, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into my St Bernardus chalice.

A: Chestnut brown with a foamy tan cap. Head retention is most excellent. Bits and pieces of lace are left in the beer's wake.

S: Bubblegum is the first thing that stood out to me. Rochefort 10 had the same aroma, so I'm thinking bubblegum must be a trait of this brewery. Once I was past the gum, the rest of the beer's fruity sweetness came through. Pears, grapes and apples intermix nicely. Alcohol is pronounced and mixes with the fruits to create a vinous quality.

T: Very wine like up front. The combo of dark fruits and alcohol help the effect along. As the beer swirls in the mouth, a pepper, cinnamon and clove spiciness comes along to provide balance. Finishes very dry and tart, with a mild alcohol warmth.

M: The medium body is marred by a carbonation level that's too high even by Belgian standards.

D: The flavors in this beer are great, but the super tingly carbonation got in the way far too often. Lower the fizz, and this beer would be amazing.

Rayek, May 20, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +12%

best by 05/10/11

pours (i like what the last guy said) "muddy brown" - with a 3 finger head that explodes out of the glass

smells of figs bananas pear belgian yeast and brown sugar

taste - wow oh what a couple years can d th this beer - no alcohol heat just one of the smoothest complex beers made - malty bready dark fruit under light fruit

mouthfeel is still very carbonated but finishes nice and creamy - perfect - some how it walks the tight rope with complex flavor and some how feeling light in the mouth

drinkability is scary - after this beer you dont want any other the rest of the night

jsh420, May 20, 2009
4.33/5  rDev 0%

a: Muddy brown body with a light tan head. Chunky yeast suspended throughout the body.

s: Brown sugar, molasses, raisins, prunes, uber-complex.

t: Rich brown sugar upfront with notes of rum raisin. A super complex brew, this is what Belgian beer is all about.

m: Full body, carbonation is just right.

d: one of the finest examples of Belgian beer out there. The monks of Rochefort know what they are doing. This is a great introduction for those looking to get into Belgian beer or good beer in general. Rich, complex and balanced.

BradLikesBrew, May 18, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

A=Deep dark brown with just slightly off white head, leaves moderate lacing

S=some dark fruits, bread and yeast alcohol not too noticeable

T=similar to smell, very nice and balanced, some dark fruits, light alcohol

M=nice gentle tingling, slight oilyness

D=very good, not an overpowering taste, light sweetness, gentle aftertaste all lend to good drinkability

jacobseyb, May 18, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Dark brown red. Thin off-white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Dark fruits, bread and yeast. Not as assertive as I was expecting.

T: Taste follows the same footprint but treads a little heavier. Figs, cherries, thick breads and yeast. Some booze.

M: Heavily sedimented... I just couldn't get the damn yeast to stop f'ing with my tongue.

D: Suffers from the heavy sediment and a blunted nose/flavor all around... Will have to try again, in case this was a defective bottle... Just didn't feel right... what a downer

callmemickey, May 17, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

33cl bottle from Systembolaget. A dark red/brown beer with a clear body and a good sized lasting head that matches the label. Streams of bubbles trail up the glass toward the surface. This is at this point in time probably the best aroma of any beer I've had. It's simply amazing: raisins, cherries, grapes and yeast come leaping out at you, and then an extremely potent cotton candy/toffee aroma last till the very end. The flavor is not as complex, but is very inviting, with porty/winey character. It's sweet, but not cloying, with very restrained bitterness. Maybe the best part is that its not to thick; a little syrupy, but overall finishes clean and easy. I would drink a few more of these if I could, which is dangerous considering the alcohol, which only makes itself known with a warming in the throat. This is an amazing beer.

bulletrain76, May 11, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

My bottle listed as out of date on march 29th, 2011 which means this is just over three years old.

Trapistes Rochefort's 8 pours a hazy brown body with a popping carbonation of head that dissipates to a thin layer rather quickly.

Aromas of clove, allspice, caramel,banana, cinnamon, and bread hit the nose.
The first sip reveals a much lighter flavor than the aroma first held. The tasting notes say licorice and anise in the flavor and if I focus just enough I pick up on it.
It is a bit less spicy and a bit more sweet. The alchohol is hidden rather well at 9.2%, but that is supposed to be the case with a three year old Trappist.

The mouthfeel is the typical luscious fluffy character of the Belgians with a bit of slickness as well.

rtratzlaff, May 10, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Trappist beer - what a treat, always. Usually drink stuff like this with a few friends but having this alone on a dreary rainy night has it's own merits. This beer is not really anything special to the eye, so pour quickly and get on with it. Ruddy, murky brown with kind of a poor head compared to others in the style. But it is immediately redeemed by the complex aromas flying out of the glass. Malty and rich, spicy, raisin. Bready and yeasty flavors here. Spicy and herbal hops float atop a nice Belgian style malt base and finishes juicy and full. Nice soft sweet finish. A world class beer for sure, although I have a few, but only a few, others in the style that I would pick first.

twelvsies, May 10, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Time for a treat; a trip down to the basement and rummage in the trappist selection.

As soon as it hits the pinot glass there is no doubt, this is going to be an experience. Dirty, murky, muddy. Tepid brown, yet somehow appetizing! Hint of a head which quickly disintegrates.

Burnt treacle jumps out on the nose, backed up by a heady whaft of alcohol. Roasted spices and cold coffee are lurking in the background adding a deal of complexity.

First impressions in the mouth are rich dark-chocolate and weak coffee. Fruit cake follows up with a tart alcoholic finish.

This really fills the mouth, noticable carbonation and an impressive finish.

585, May 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Pours a matte chocolate color. Interesting. Off white head with larger bubbles. Medium retention.

S- Belgian spices, definitely some alcohol, slight vinous character. Some malt comes through, more than I expected.

T- This one grows as you drink it. It started kind of malty--almost roasty--with some dark fruit mixed in. Grew to be more spicy with some green apple aftertaste... I liked it.

M- Medium bodied, with a decent amount of carbonation. Moves along well.

D- Good stuff, gets better as it goes. I like it.

LordAdmNelson, May 09, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay chalice. Best before 30-04-13. Comes in at 9.2%.

A-When first cracked, a nice hissing sound comes out of the bottle. It pours a murky brown with some red when placed in front of a light. Has a one finger frothy off white head that just crackles as it sits in the glass. The head barely dissipates leaving a nice foamy cushion for each sip. Lots of yeast particles remain in the bottom of the glass.

S-After cracking it open and putting my nose to the bottle, I get grape juice as the predominant aroma. When it is poured into the glass the smell is a tad faint and I get a lot of dried stone fruits such as raisin and prunes. Pick up on Belgian yeast and a tad bit of monastery funk.

T-A very complex beer in terms of flavor. At first sip it is sweet with raisins and grapes leading the way. The malt that follows carries caramel and bready notes. Some alcohol is noticeable when it is first sipped, but it fades into the background as I drink it. It ends with a rather dry finish and leaves the mouth with a grape aftertaste.

M-The bottle conditioning results in a crisply carbonated and creamy beer. I would say it is on the fuller end of the spectrum.

D-A great way to end the night, or in my case, a perfect transition to the 10. The higher abv limits this guy to one.

Truly a classic for the style, this is one that I like to pick up on my beer runs. Still have not had the patience to age this guy for five years.

mjl21, May 07, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to a colleague who brought this back from a conference in Brussels.

A dark mahogany color with a deep brownish-orange hue when place up to light. Off white and big head which diminishes to a cloudy lace. I get a lot of date, raisins, chicory...maybe even candied apple in the aroma. There's a lot going on here. Flavor combines a strong presence of chocolate cake and a spicyness reminiscent of Anchor's OSA from 2007, warming to the back of the throat. Lightly carbonated, but lively on the tongue when swished around.

Much more entertaining than Chimay and most of the other doubles I've had out there.

allboutbierge, May 04, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to amietaj1 for this beer that I acquired in a trade. Unfortunately no Rochefort in Texas.

Presentation: Poured from 330ml brown bottle into Duvel tulip. I believe this one is about 4 or 5 months old. I poured and drank this one starting at 40 degrees.

A: Pours a nice light brown with a beautiful light tan 3 finger head. Like the Rochefort 10 the head rests like a blanket atop the beer and stays at 1 finger thick for at least half the drinking session and there are always a nice layer of bubbles on top. Nice yeasty particles throughout as well. Laces the glass really well too.

S: Smells strongly of raisins, maybe little funk but very modest. As the beer warms the raisin aroma only intensifies; I really like it, but not as complex as I expected.

T: Taste is pretty fruity, but not sweet at all. I wish it was actually slightly sweeter. Somewhat dry, no aftertaste at all, hops are extremely well balanced, and some spiciness as well. This one is very solid and I don't think I'd ever tire of it.

M: Almost perfect. Very well carbonated, somewhat creamy (could use a little more), and just the right weight.

D: I could have these all night, the 9.2% alcohol is present and I can taste/smell it which is probably what lowered my taste/smell scores, but regardless it's highly drinkable as no flavor is completely overpowering here.

A very solid offering. I think I like in order the Rochefort 10, then 8, and then 6.

thirdeye11, May 03, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

From 330 ml bottle into chalice. Pours a deep, cloudy brown. Drinking this at around 55-60 degrees. Not as much "silt" as the 6 had. Moderate carbonated head mostly diminishing, but not as much as the 6. Lacing throughout as opposed to zero for the 6. I am drinking a beer that the gods long for! I agree with another reviewer - the aroma is pretty mellow, more to me than the 6. Malty, figs, raisin, alcohol evident on the palate and in the finish. With that said this is quite an enjoyable brew - wow! It has me standing erect and saying "aye man this is beer - down with the wine laddie". Do the monks drink this before, or after Mass? Cheers to the Trappist Monks at Rochefort, Belgium! I think I'm hammered!

OzarkElmo, May 03, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

A: hearty clouded cider brown with soft reds and copper. Head is bubbly, light khaki in color, and left creamy splashes of lace. The cap fizzled away rather fast and the lacing is minimal, considering the alcohol % I would not expect much, but this is rather faint

S: I get whiffs of dates, figs, and tart pears all with a spiced herbal character. Minimal malt and yeast in the nose. I am not really that floored as spiced rum notes start to wallow through

T: up front we have fruits much like in the nose; dates, figs, raisins, a few rotten bananas, and maybe a few pieces of orange peels. Sweet side is laced with caramelized flavors with brown sugar. All in all, the flavors consist of fruits (as mentioned above) soaked in spiced rum with a faint malty profile, I find the malts to be somewhat laid back. Spiciness ranges from cloves, to a dash of cinnamon, and a sprinkle of nutmeg
I find the initial blast of flavors complex. However, things are a little timid in regards to the lasting or depth of flavors. Everything seems awash with grainy spiced alcohol at times

M: a true fizzy lifting drink. Carbonation is, shall we say, high and provides the tongue with a invigorating blast. The carbonation level also makes things feel a bit lighter as far as body is concerned, I would say a medium body. Not creamy and just makes it into the smooth category

D: dark fruits, light malts, candied flavors, and awash with alcohol. A little disappointment in my heart, but not much. It is tough for me to consider this as a world class brew. I am not giving up hope, I am gonna have this one again

Magpie14, May 02, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance is well-laced, with a firm head and a murky brown body.

Smells of fig and a strong dose of scotch alcohol.

Creamy, malty, and deliciously mellow. Plum and apricot, with a bit of spicy nutmeg and brown bread, with an oat-laden balance.

Full in the mouth, renders robust flavor and mild carbonation into the finish.

Fruity, bready, earthy and clean. Extraordinarily complex.

TLove, Apr 27, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

The Rochefort trappist is a beer for the soul.
This 8 is a dark strong ale like the best out there. Very dark beer with such a pale head, it's hoppy bitter, fruity sweet, nice roasted grains and coffee taste.

Enjoying the mix of floral, herby and spicy notes that is so characteristic of this trappist.
Plus it's very chewy with a great long finish.

The Abbaye St-Rémy monks must really love to brew.

RuudJH, Apr 25, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Deep dark brown body. Thick tan head just won't die! Can't think of many other beers that maintain such a great head for so long. Beautiful lacing. A fair amount of sediment I didn't notice in previous tastings even with a fairly careful pour.

Smell: Yeast, spice, raisins, alcohol sugar and faint fig.

Taste: More yeast with dark fruit aromas. Plums come though along with the raisins picked up on the nose. Pleasant alcohol warmth but I don't think anyone could accuse this one of being too boozy. Well balanced brew. Great earthy character that only Trappist beers pull of completely.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable for the ABV but I can't recall ever having more than two of these in a sitting. I enjoy following Rochefort 10 with one of these actually and that's usually enough for the evening unless it's a special occasion.

Overall one of my favorite beers. Combines elements of both Dubbels and Quads in my opinion. A lot in common with big bro Rochefort 10 but by no means a '10 light'. This one has enough of it's own thing going where I'll often crave it in it's own right.

berkey, Apr 23, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Very deep brown, hazy, almost like a a stained wood. Nice white head on top.. frothy and soft. Chunks in this one..

The beer even sounds good as is snaps crackles and pops with bursting bubbles of carbonation..

S:Sweet like apple sauce, almost a vinegar like scent to it, but sweeter than that.

T: Mmmm.. that is quite lovely.. sweet, and slightly yeasty. Lots of ripe ( maybe a little more that ripe ) fruit in there.. raisons, dates, grapes.. with a smooth finish..

M: Lots of carbonation, but it goes down nice and smooth and coats as you swallow it.

D: Don't think I could do more than one of these in a sitting, but very nice and mellow..

(Edit: Added points to appearance, for having a great head all the way through!)

Beejay, Apr 23, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

11.2oz bottle into a St. Bernardus glass at night. Not sure of the vintage.

A- A dark dirty brown color with some mahogany tones when held towards the light. Not much of a head came up but about 1/4 of an inch of off white foam came up leaving no lace. Not as dirty(sediment wise) compared to Rochefort 10 but still some particles seen.

S- The smell on this was much fainter than R.10 which was expected but R.8 smell is light. Some dark sugars, malts and some dark fruits ever so sly. Raisins and figs this pretty much like the 10 version only significantly lighter.

T- A nicely mixed bag of dark fruit, malts and belgian yeast and spice. Very light apple and pear with candied malts with some cinnamon and other spice. If it was not for the raisin and fig appearence the taste would of been a loss for me, it just was not to full.

M- Extremely light for what this brew looks like not to mention the high abv. I would say on the tail ends of medium bodied with a good supply of carbonation. The light flavors do not intrude your senses for long making this a quick sipper. I wanted more out of this but it is what it is.

D- I will go for the 10 from now on as it is more richer in flavor and feel but this was a great experience. Either way this is high in ABV so no more than 2 in an evening if it is available.

BARFLYB, Apr 20, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into my Rochefort gold rimmed glass...makes it feel that much more Belgian. I left the yeast in the bottle on this one and poured it straight down into the glass. Head was nice and fluffy, 2 fingers in a very wide glass. It died out and left some islands of thing foam after a while, but could be built up after a nice swirl. Dark Brown with red tints, and surprisingly clear after leaving out the yeast.

Smell is very interesting, not nearly as strong as the 10 but still very good. It smells like I would think a cave would smell like even though I've never been in one. Hints of saffron and apple juice

Tastes like some light brown sugar alcohol concoction. Sugar coated apples, dark fruits and raisins. Mouthfeel is typical A+ bottle fermented Belgian, but a little more carbonation would be nice. This was a June 08 bottling and I would love to try an older bottle. This is a one and done beer for me but a nice hour long sipper.

jeffthecheff, Apr 20, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -15%

bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Rochefort 8 is a deep brown tone with a two finger head.
It has a smell that is strong, raisins, sugar, are some of the smells.
Upon sipping it, you realize quickly this beer is strong and complex, flavors of chocolate, coffee beans. MF is robust, the yeast is present in addition to the other characters.
8 is a great beer that pairs very well with chocolate cake, brownies, or other rich desserts. Its ABV is up there, so sip and enjoy.

mltobin, Apr 19, 2009