Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Lukie

Australia

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

The beer pours a brilliant dark mahogoney, with a glint of red. The head is a finger high which has quickly dissipitated to a lacing over the top, and along the rim of the glass.

The nose is incredibly sweet, with rich christmas cake, figs, rhubarb and honey characters. It is incredibly distinct in the smell, and quite strong. The hops give off a slight floral finish.

It is quite sweet, a little like cola, with sweet caramels, some plum, and a hint of coffee bean. Some honey fig, and christmas cake fruit rounds out the taste of this emmaculate brew.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with a little carbonation similar to that of drinking a cola. It is not overly heavy on the alcohol character even though the abv is high itself, making this scarily easy to drink. Just wonderful.

12-17-2007 13:07:19 | More by Lukie
pheggeseth

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

330mL bottle poured into my brand new Surly Darkness goblet.

A: dark burgundy brown, large tan bubbly head

S: subtle alcohol up front followed by lots of sweet fruit, the sweetness melds into buttery toffee, very inviting

T: again, sweet fruit, but followed by echoes of woody malt rounded out by alcohol

M: not too thick, but still coats the mouth, a little too carbonated for me, but as this is my first "Trappist" beer, I can't detract for that

D: I like Belgians, but they're distinctive character and potent flavors limit their repeated drinkability for me. That said, this one is quite refreshing, with balanced flavors and decent complexity

12-16-2007 23:13:18 | More by pheggeseth
fank2788

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

11.2 oz undated bottle served in a snifter
In the glass this beer is a fairly dark nearly opaque brown, the head starts out thick and rocky but falls to a thin layer of tight tan bubbles which throw lace all over the glass. The smell is rich fruitiness and malt with a bit of spice, a hint of alcohol and maybe a touch of an earrthy yeast tone as well. At first the taste this is a bit brash, spicy from hops and alcohol with the malt and fruit underneath. As the beer warms it tends to smooth out and blend a bit better and the malt comes out front and is it ever malty. There is a lot of dark grain maltiness reminiscent of dark bread with chocolate, under those there is a touch of what seems like brown sugar and coffee. When warmer this beer is nice and full in the mouth however it leaves surprisingly little aftertaste just a bit of drying and quick hint of peppery alcohol. A very good beer, nothing strikes me as amazing, however, everything seems to come together so well to make this quite enjoyable to drink.

12-12-2007 01:54:58 | More by fank2788
evanc

Tennessee

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Poured a brownish amber color with a large tan head. It dissipated after quite some time. There's lots of nice yeast floating around in there.

S - Wonderful fruit and brown sugar smell with a tidbit of alcohol in there.

T - I felt like the taste was wonderful though a bit lacking - it left me still looking for something. It was fruity but very light at the same time. Very sweet but left no real aftertaste.

M - Left no real residue. Everything felt great in my mouth - even the yeast didn't bother me.

D - I could drink many of these in a night - though with the decent ABV (9.2%) I don't know if I should drink more than 3 or 4. Great beer.

12-07-2007 06:47:10 | More by evanc
BlindPig

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Thick tan head on a dark cloudy brown body.
S- Alcohol, dark fruits, toffee malts, grass hops, clove, and light banana in there too.
T- Follows the aroma. Really nice complex flavors. Bitterness lingers on the tip of tongue from grass hops, and a light warming from the alcohol. Some chocolate flavors in there too.
M- Medium body with high carbonation.
D- This is one great beer. Reminds me of a blend between Rochefort 10 with a St. Bernys 12. Of course there are some major differences, its just first thing that comes to mind.

12-03-2007 05:34:53 | More by BlindPig
CVC

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Trappistes Rochefort 8

Came in a 11.2 fl. oz. brown/olive-colored bottle; served in a pint glass.

Seconds after pouring, a foamy, creamy head with an off-white color rises and fills half of the glass. It then dissipates down to two fingers, where it stays a while. It then continues to fall until it's just barely blanketing the beer with its creaminess. The beer is very foggy and opaque with a blood red/brown coloring. Some lace seems to stick on the glass as I'm drinking, and smelling the plum aroma that it has to offer. The taste, on the other hand, is much more complex--malts, yeast, fruits, and grain. It finishes smooth with not much carbonation or fizz at all.

The name--with the huge reputation--says it all. A classic beer right here. It's always a pleasure to drink The Rochefort.

12-01-2007 08:28:15 | More by CVC
rye726

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Good deep brown color with some red hues. Tan head dissapates quickly to a nice silk cover.

Sweet nose with pitted fruits, vanilla and caramel. Some alcohol tones and a slight citrus hop character.

Taste also very sweet but not out of balance. Spicy fruits and chocolate.

Nice full body and dry mouthfeel finishes this ale well.

Considering the complexity and size, this is quite a drinkable brew. Highly suggested.

11-28-2007 05:02:10 | More by rye726
JBogan

Nevada

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured a semi cloudy dark brown with a very large head which stayed around for a while and left good lacing.

Smelled first of alcohol followed by fruity scents, plums, raisins, dates. A little malty as well.

Tasted pretty good, but I would prefer the alcohol not to be so dominant. It did pick up the above mentioned fruity flavors and as the beer warmed a bit of caramel.

Good mouthfeel, nice and creamy but with a good carbonation sting that follows.

A nice drinkable beer, especially for this time of year. A beer to be savored and not just pounded, (especially for the price, $8 a bottle). It's a beer to sit back and enjoy.

11-27-2007 21:17:52 | More by JBogan
DavidSeanNJ

4.72/5  rDev +9%

Picked up a bottle...well, just for the hell of it. I was very excited to try this, as it is heavily hyped.

A- A reddish amber color- some maroon/brown/ruby colors. Small tan head, nice and tasty.

S- Smell was of cherries, fruits, and chocolate- oh YEAH- lots of alcohol.

T- Taste was a complex caramel, toffee, spices, fruits, and some nuttiness.

M- Mouthfeel was so light and enjoyable- warming as it was sipped.

D- This is a wonderful beer that is best sipped and enjoyed on a nice cold night- one of the best I have ever had.

11-27-2007 00:13:12 | More by DavidSeanNJ
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.42/5  rDev -44.1%

I found this beer at one of the local liquor stores here and snatched it up and I've been holding on to it for a special occasion. That occasion was tonight.

Poured a dark, murky brown with some sediment in it and also one amazing head. It lingered around for a while and finally settled in to a nice little ring around the top.

I didn't get a lot of the smells that others got. The main smell that I got was alcohol. No raisins, no malt, no caramel, nothing, just alcohol. Got me a bit worried.

I really wasnt that impressed with the taste of this beer either. It was almost like there wasnt a taste to it. I got a lot of alcohol from this beer but that was about it. Did I get a bad bottle? I'm not sure about that. It had some nice carbonation to it and it looked like it was going to be a good beer, but it just never amounted to anything.

Big disappointment. After reading some of the reviews, I was hoping for a mind-blowing experience and I just didn't have it. I will probably re-rate this in the future to ensure that I didn't get a bad bottle or something but as of now, I just don't get it.

11-25-2007 05:35:37 | More by Tilley4
Winter

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

The date on the bottle is 27.07.10. I've had this beer for a year in my cellar waiting for the right time to enjoy it. Thanksgiving night seemed as good a time as any.

Pours a murky dark brown with a stone colored khaki head. Aroma of dark rum, raisins, brown sugar, caramel and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium in body with just the right amount of carbonation. Caramel malt and brown sugar on the forefront. The middle has a nice dark fruit-like quality to it. Some yeast and candy sugar. Molasses and the arrival of alcohol remind me of dark rum, but by no means overpowering. Goes down extremely smooth for its 9.2% abv. Rochefort 8 is an amazing offering. I think I need to go find myself another bottle to keep for the future.

11-23-2007 18:00:37 | More by Winter
ajr24

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Poured a deep and cloudy brown with a light brown head. I'm a big fan of the velvety smooth lacing that slid down the side of the glass.

S- I have to state the obvious and comment on the brown sugar smell, plus I noticed some toffee and caramel undertones.

T- Caramelized brown sugar and toffee- indicative of the smell.

M- Impressive mouthfeel considering its high ABV, I'd say it blends well with the brown sugary and toffee tastes.

D- For a high ABV beer I consider it highly drinkable because it's simply delicious.

11-20-2007 04:16:19 | More by ajr24
ElGaucho

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a deep ruby with massively dense creamy off white head. Aroma is rather fruity, some vanilla and candi sugar sweetness, somewhat earthy. Extraordinarily well balanced, as nothing jumps out but all is blended well. Luxurious mouthfeel, rich without being heavy, smooth yet very fully carbonated, the beer finishes with a slight cocoa-like taste along with herbal bitterness and mild yeastiness. Alcohol is present, but doesn't detract in any way from the beer. Delightful, of course, as are all of their beers.

11-17-2007 23:26:02 | More by ElGaucho
dough

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 11.2 ounce bottle dated 09 0611. Good amount of carbonation in my Chimay Chalice. Beer smells like brown sugar on hot cereal. Once it gets past the lips it hits very smooth. I am picking up a sweet, malty character. Some spent yeast made its way from the bottle to the glass. This is a very enjoyable beer and something that I look forward to trying again.

11-17-2007 05:16:39 | More by dough
Gehrig

4.85/5  rDev +12%

A tremendous beer, really outstanding. The outstanding local Piccadilly just got this in stock for the first time in some time, and it was a must-grab. I'm darn glad I did. I was thoroughly impressed with its presentation, two fingers of head thick atop a brownish-burgundy body, just beautiful. It was highly aromatic, fruity in standard and atypical ways, with citrus mixing with a slight nutty flavor, with banana and berry (cherry?) also represented. Yet the taste was sweet and smooth, easily masking the high ABV (9.2%). This presents the drinker with a lot to taste and ponder, and I'm both impressed and thankful for the chance to delve into this classic that's right up my alley as far as my favorite style, and what is often considered a legend. It certainly lived up to its sterling reputation. Great stuff.

11-17-2007 04:07:32 | More by Gehrig
jeonseh

Indiana

3.68/5  rDev -15%

color is a very deep purplish brown and opaque such that no light gets through it; one can definitely smell a fruity aspect coming off it almost a mix of lemon and raisins in my opinion. the taste at first is nothing worth writing home about bout but a citrusy taste hits the tongue and mixes well with the citrus taste of this brew. a pretty smooth beer and worth the try but really nothing that great.

11-17-2007 03:32:23 | More by jeonseh
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Milk chocolate brown color. After a semi-conservative pour, this beer leaves 1 finger of off white, very soft head that only stays around for a few minutes. Leaves what I call the marsmallow fluff in the dead center of the glass after a few soft swirls of the glass. Found a few dark brown specks in the bottom of my glass after finishing this beer.

S- I catch smells of raisins, toast, hops, alcohol, bananas, oatmeal with sugar and butter.

T- Alcohol is prominent in the taste for sure. Not as "hidden" as some of the other Belgians. The malty, caramel and toffee taste is nice in the middle for sure. It leaves more of a bitter aftertaste too than some of the other Belgians of this style that I have tried.

M- Nice carbonation. Medium thickness I would classify it as which is nice for this style. Malt is nice too. This is one of the strongest points of this one for me.

D- Yes it is a nice Belgian beer, but contrary to popular belief, I have had much better. I could easily drink a few of these any day but it just is not my favorite. It is strong and would bite you, but a person could easily down 3 of these in a night.

All in all, of course this is a nice beer. The look is good, the smells and tastes are nice and the mouth is super nice. However, I cannot rate this as highly as a Chimay. To me, it lacks some of the complexities that the Chimay has perfected. Very good beer though, I enjoyed it tremendously.

11-16-2007 20:16:05 | More by MMAJYK
Douglas14

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

This is what I feel everyone attempting a Belgian strong dark strives for. Its so well rounded and well balanced and so unique (because of how much better it is than most other strong darks out there).

It pours a rich, deep mahogany color. The head is amazing - thick, full, dense, and by no means is it going residing anytime soon. The little but of the head that does seem to creep back down leaves thick lace where it once was. It has a sweet, candy smell to it. The taste is a mix of spice blends, sweet belgian sugar, yeast and even a bit oakiness (or some kind of wood) character to it. Feels great and light yet full in your mouth. Very plesant aftertaste. As I'm drinking this, I'm picturing it going great with roasted pork or wild game. It has some great earthy tones...

Awesome beer...

11-14-2007 03:35:01 | More by Douglas14
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle a nice dark brown with with a foamy beige head and sticky lacing.

Aroma of dark ripe fruit, caramel, and malt.

The taste is dark fruits, chocolate, coffee, and sweet malt. Chocolate and coffee really linger at the finish.

Medium mouthfeel, smooth, and moderately carbonated.

An easy-to-drink ale with nice balance. Highly recommended.

11-11-2007 04:58:39 | More by Monkeyknife
brewcrew76

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Best before 28/03/12

A – Pours a hazy dark raisin like brown with a thin creamy tan head that leaves creamy lacing behind.

S – Rum soaked raisins with bready yeast and a candy sugar caramel aroma.

T – Alcohol is noticeable up front, dark fruits with sweet malt, spice and yeast.

M – Medium body and smooth with light carbonation.

D – A little more malt than fruit compared to other beers in the style but very drinkable for 9.2%

11-11-2007 02:49:02 | More by brewcrew76
Atron67

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

A- poured a dark brown with lots of little particulates in it, had a huge billowy tan head that lasted forever with pretty strong lacing,

S- has a very sweet dark fruity scents which smell great, maltyness is strong, with low bitterness in the nose

T- tastes a smooth maltiness with a great dark fruit flavors, about what was expected from the nose but very smooth, no alcohol bite

M- light smooth body with light-medium carbonation

D- a solid dark ale, ide drink more easily

11-09-2007 01:09:28 | More by Atron67
tapman

What a great day it is to have a Rochefort.

Body is an opaque plum, or dark brown/purple, with a foamy off-white head. So dark and delicious looking, with a great ring of lacing settling afer the turbulent pour.

Spicy, slightly clove nose with sweet toffee and caramel in the malts. Alcohol is present, but is balanced by the malts into a 'brandy/liquer type of taste found in some high class deserts. Dark sour cherry in the yeast and hop balance.

More alcool than in the nose, but nothing too distracting. Musky, mix of dark and medium malts, though both sweet. taste is more floral than fruity as previously anticipated, like a lilac/rose petal blend. Subtle milk/bitter chcolate is quite pleasant. The choco-balance is very nice. Some fruit characteristic; spicy fruit sweetness can also be found. A little musty, though, which kinda hurts drinkability, but an experienced beer advocate can quickly find his/her way around and/or through it.

Mouhfeel is bubbly, delicate, smooth, crisp, tingly and good.

Really good. I truly feel that this is a next to perfect example ofthe style. I hope people send me beer mails of protest, but this brew is delicious. The aroma is warm and inviting, the dark, silky body alluring. The taste is complex and comes at you in levels as it warms. In truth the entire beer just gets better as the temperature rises. My only concern is that I have yet to try the Rochefort 10. What if I like it even better? Do I change this review to reflect my new opinion? Do I petition the site for the first ever 5.5? Whatever happens know that Rochefort is King of the Belgium Strong Dark Trappists.

11-03-2007 07:11:17 | More by tapman
aerozeppl

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. From notes.

A: Deep brown color with plenty of yeast floating around. Me and my friends used to call them gremlins when we were younger. Still do. Really good looking beer.

S Malt right off the bat. You can definitely smell the yeast in this one right behind it. Not terribly complex but perfect.

T: I wrote down "wonderfully drinkable". It really was. No one taste overwhelmed any of the others. Everything was in perfect balance with a taste leading seamlessly into another.

D: We throw around "I could drink this all day" a lot, but I really could. The 9.2% would catch up to you but before it did you would have no conception it was about to. I have a bottle of the 10 in the fridge right now and I cannot wait to try it out.

7.99 for a 11.2 oz bottle.

11-03-2007 00:29:21 | More by aerozeppl
Bethanya1982

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

This is by far my favorite beer I tried at the Belgian Beer fest. It is spicey/smokey but not over powering. It has the perfect balance between spice and sweetness. It leaves a pleasant after taste. It's so smooth, you'd never know it was a strong ale..until you stand up that is..

10-29-2007 00:55:49 | More by Bethanya1982
bwatson

Kansas

Pulled this one off the shelf in the basement where its been hiding for too long. Poured into a goblet at about 60-65 deg. Fizzy off-white head fell quickly leaving a film of tiny bubbles clinging to the surface. Colored a deep reddish brown that is not quite opaque when held to the light. Tiny bits of yeasty sediment show up suspended in the liquid. Smells of caramel with a hint of butterscotch, maybe some vanilla and raisons. A taste reveals a light mouth feel and a ton of carbonation. The 9.2% Abv listed on the label is barely noticeable though. Bitterness come though for a second then fades quickly to a warm malt aftertaste. Quite a bit lighter than Rochefort 10. I could drink several of these in a sitting. Not as flavorful as 10 but still very good; refreshing on a beautiful fall day. I’ll think I’ll get some more of this.

10-28-2007 21:28:34 | More by bwatson