Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle poured into a chalice. Perfect in terms of appearance: dark brown/plum color with a good inch of fizzy tan head. Smell is very sweet... candy sugar, all kinds of fruit (although the one most prominent to me is pear), and some light spiciness. Awesome. Taste isn't quite as exceptional as the smell.. not nearly as sweet, fairly strong alcohol presence but not really any burning, and again several different fruits. Still pretty darn complex and and tasty. For a beer this strong, as drinkable as you can get.

An awesome beer. Just as good if not better than Rochefort 10.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%

330ml bottle. Nice to be able to try these Trappiste offerings without an indeterminate trip to the brewery itself, knowhutimean?

This beer pours a cloudy, very dark golden amber colour, with three fingers of audibly fizzy, lightly foamy pale beige head, which contains a few black, roaming specks, and leaves an undulating wall of painted lace as it lazily recedes. There is also some persistent, rising effervescence swirling about and upwards after the fact.

It smells weirdly (not in a bad way) of woody, earthy, noble hops, and very little yeast - expectations are a bitch, I suppose, as the fruity, dark caramel-tinged malt kind of has to approach this from a lower position, but this is not a problem whatsoever. The taste is more forward with the raisins, toffee, caramel, and mild dark fruit (plums, blackberries, most evidently), and some moreover earthy, fruity hops, and a very even, less than obvious alcohol dryness.

The carbonation is quite mild, and generally effusive, the body displaying a solid state smoothness, and a certain hefty density, finishing with an undeniable heaviness, and a well balanced melange of malt and hops, yin and yang, as it were. The big ABV is so well integrated, I almost forgot to mention it.

I've been holding on to this bottle for a while, but after having sampled a number of other Belgian and German offerings of late, and getting out of my IPA-heavy comfort zone, it seemed appropriate to bring out the heavy guns - so what the hell was I really waiting for?

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

5oz pour at the Flying Saucer Tri-Beer Belgian tasting served in a tulip glass a crisp dark red with a decent off-white head that diminishes to a ring. Aroma is a slight amount of cherry and dark malts. The taste is a nice amount of sweet fruits and malts with slight spice. The beer is on the heavy side of medium with slight carbonation. This is a very enjoyable Belgian beer.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

I'm finding that good beer is both complex and drinkable at the same time. This came to my local bar and I figured I'd try it while I could. I decided to try the 8 because the 10 seemed to imposing on my young palet, but after trying this I think the 10 could be much more aproachable. This astes quite good you do notice the extra alcohol but it's not over powering. If you get the chance, even if you don't like darker beers give this a try.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

There is not a whole lot more that I can say about this one - it's a classic and rightfully so.

Appropriately poured this into a tulip. Exhibits a small quantity of head on the initial pour, with very little lacing but great legs as I tilt it. Aromas of candy, fruit (mostly blackberries, currants, sweet cherries, and other berry items), with a slight maltiness. Very refreshing.

Flavors are rich, refined, and include candy, dark fruit (many of the aforementioned in the aromas), and a little burn on the finish. The sweetness isn't overpowering either, and the carbonation is just enough to balance the sweet, fruity flavors and have me proclaiming, "why yes, this is indeed a beer I am drinking, and not a Port that calls itself a Russian Imperial Stout (no offense, Dark Lord)."

The mouthfeel is tingly, slightly chewy, but more than anything cleansing and delicious. A pleasant, sipping experience.

Like Rochefort 10, our Trappist brewers who talk to God have brought a little bit of manna from heaven (though unlike the Israelites I would hope I would never tire of Rochefort 8 or 10). Keep it up brothers.

Besides the Westy 12, I would say that these are the highest rated Belgian beers in the world. I picked up both the 8 and 10 to compare the two. This is my review of the 8:

A: Pours a real murky brown color. The enormous head fizzes away and leaves a nice film over the beer. Nice lacing. There are also quite substantial white flakes floating around in this brew.

S: Smell is unique. Lots of dark fruit like cherry and plum. I also get a woody character in the smell. Smells sweet and almost Coca-Cola like.

T: Very unique and very complex. The dark fruit is present with the cherry, plum and currant notes. It does taste a little oaky as well. Some toffee. There is also a bit of chocolate in there as well. I also get some citrus fruit. Beer is not bitter at all. A little sweet, but nothing major.

M: Its got a pretty bubbly mouthfeel. A little fizzy. Medium to light bodied. Somewhat creamy.

D: This beer is pretty drinkable. The alcohol does come through in the finish, which detracts a little. This is a sipper. Very rich and complex.

Overall, I think this is one of the more complex Belgian ales I have had. Lots of unique flavor and every sip is a little different. I will review the 10 tomorrow to see how they stack up against one another. Overall, a pretty solid brew, even though I am not the biggest Belgian ale fan. Recommended.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

opaque brown with a big tan head.lots of sediment.

smells great! too complex to explain. great!

tates like honey.smooth, medicinal, sweet, malty, yeasty. very complex taste.

wow! the mouthfeel is wonderful.

nice belgian lacing! this beer is great!

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

I bought a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 at the "systembolaget" (it's the monopoly we have here in Sweden for selling beer and such with higher than 3.5% alcohol by volume) in a neighboring town.

I poured it into a weissbier glass, probably not an ideal glass, but I had a weissbier just before (gotta get me a chalice).

The beer was dark brown with a lot of yeast and whatnot floating around in it. Looked like a blue Chimay or any other dark belgian style ale, with a foamy light tan head. The lacing was really good.

At first it smelled caramel, sweet malt and a bit spicy, and as it heated I could smell banana and coffee.

The taste was less complex compared to say a blue chimay, but very delicious and the beer felt much more creamy and well balanced. The 9.2 ABV left a little warmth in the throat but nothing else. It tasted sweet and caramelly, with hints of coffee and chocolate. It felt like a more drinkable beer than the other trappist beers of this kind I've had, but I only bought one, which I regretted afterwards. Overall I must say it's one of the better beers I've had, an absolutely awesome beer. Go get it!

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance - Pours a dark brown with a nice one finger head that lingers around the whole time. Fairly high carbonation level evident.

Smell - Smells like sweet and spicy malt. A little christmas-time type spiciness.

Taste - Quite complex and changes significantly with temperature. I'd best describe it as a sweet, fig pudding with some spice and warmth. For some reason, it reminds me of christmas and I will certainly have to remember this beer when that time rolls around again. Would be perfect for drinking on a nice cold day, staring out at the snow. I initially didn't like it all that much compared to other Trappist ales, but by midway through, I'd come to appreciate the flavor (though I still prefer the funk of Orval). Unlike some other reviewers, I definitely note a strong alcohol finish with this beer...it doesn't feel hidden at all. With the first sip, I could easily tell this beer was somewhere up around 9% or 10% abv.

Mouthfeel - Slightly tart and sour at first, but eases into a smooth alcoholic warmth with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability - This is a big beer...plenty of flavors and smells working together over the course of drinking a bottle. It certainly goes down smooth, but I can see after one or two, the complexity and intricacy of the drink would be lost. Definitely not any kind of session beer.

Overall I wasn't too impressed and probably won't buy this one again.

I poured this brew from a bottle into a tulip glass with a duvel style pour. It produced a 3/4 to 1 inch off white/beige head with nice retention atop a tawny brown body. good lacing.

smells malty/sweet upfront with slightly sour/aged background.

tastes like dry sweet sugar crossed with tart dark fruit. but not too sweet.

nice mouthfeel. im not a belgian expert but it starts out a bit thin and finishes with a creamy carbonation combo. it works well.

this is very drinkable. and with the high alcohol content, which really hides itself well, it could really get on top of you.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was received as an extra from Alen, thanks for the trade. Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

The appearance is a cloudy brown with a thick white head that fades quickly. Very little lacing.

The smell is very malty, with some cherries and maybe a little bit of clove and spice. There is no alcohol present in the nose, which was unexpected for the 9% abv.

The taste is a lot like the smell, a little more spice than I would have expected. There is definitely a little cherry in the flavor, very nice. The alcohol is not very present in the taste, but there is a subtle warming in the belly after a few sips.

The beer is very smooth and drinkable, pleasantly balanced. I do wish the fruit tartness were a little more present to give the beer a slight sour note.

3.55/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up at brawley's in Charlotte for $5.99. A bit on the pricey side but trying to review as many top 100's as possible.

This one definitely disappointed me. I know I had a 60 minute right before this, but the taste and smell were just plain lacking in character. Nothing like the 10 or even any other trappist I've tasted.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

GLASS: Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BEST BEFORE DATE: 30/04/13

Pours a transperent, dark brown with ruby tinting. Two-finger head of creamy tan foam. Retention is very good and leaves a thicker-than-normal blanket on top of this liquid. Lacing is in clumps of loose foam and is slightly slipperey.

Nice hints of dark fruits, like black cherries, figs and raisins. Nice caramel malts. Good presence of candi sugars. These are about all I can find, as the nose is rather muted on this one.

Taste is good, but not as outstanding as expected. Very good maltiness is happening. Mild notes of dark fruits and candi sugars. Clove and corriander spice notes come in, to make things a little more interesting. Mild warming alcohol note.

Here's where I think this one is really failing. It's a good body, in the lower medium range. I'd like it to be alot thicker, but that's just me. The carbonation is the real problem. Way too fizzy and light. It completely gets in the way of the enjoyment and experience for me. This brew should be smooth and creamy, and it's neither.

Drinkability is good but could be better. Enjoyment is not nearly as high as it should be.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

From an 11.2 oz into tulip:
Amber in color with a two inch off-white head that dissipates after several minutes. Slight lacing.
Smells like toasted grain and malt; like I'm smelling boiling wort. Mild caramel and biscuit also.
Taste is very nice, mostly grains and malt with some alcohol, sweetness, and walnut.
Mouthfeel is great. This isn't heavy and goes down smoothly.
Drinkability is also very good, though the alcohol hinders it a bit.
Overall, a very good beer that makes a nice treat, and a good change of pace from the hoppy West Coast IPAs I've been having lately.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip...

Appearance: Huge 3+ finger head that required me to pour from the bottle several times just to get it all out; head is light and fluffy and leaves a thick layer of lacing as it dwindles slowly -- light tan in color; I'd also like to note that are large chunks flowing from the mouth of the bottle, even though it sat for about 20 minutes on my counter to settle, so I guess I'm fairly impressed (and a little worried); there is solid carbonation bubbling near the sides of the glass... There might be more but I can't see any further into the cloudy coffee-brown beverage.

Smell: Not getting a ton from the nose at first - faint whiff of alcohol, some yeast; as it warms it gets a little stronger, but not much -- I can now pick up some sweet fruit and burnt sugary maltiness...

Taste: Not an overpowering flavor either at first - light sweet candied fruits/raisins; warm malts and the burn sugar flavor comes through; as it warms these flavors become more prominent, but again not overly powerful in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated so it's definitely a lively drink -- leaves the roof of the mouth tingly; slight coating of a moderate thickness eventually gives way to a dry finish and leaves the chest warm; a medium body overall.

Drinkability: Moderate to high, but I think I honestly prefer the 10 to the 8 as it was definitely much more flavorful.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

33cl pours a dark dark cola brown, hints of light coming in around the edges. Slowly oozes out of the bottle so I quickly pour it into a glass, decent head that dies quickly and leaves a nice lacing over the top.

Nose is a mix of raisins, caramel sweetness, a hint of spiciness.

Taste is smooth but not sexy, strong but not bold, great but not astonishing. Some nice spices, cake, caramel, plums and slightest citrus notes, vinous, alcohol in the finish. Smooth mouthfeel with just enough carbonation to carry it through with a dance.

Really a nice, complex beer. I would definitely drink any time it was available and would delight in it - though I am not sure if it ranks with the best of the best. Still, can't detract - a great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

Got this down the road at the bottle shop.

From a bottle into a Rochefort Chalice.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1 finger medium looking tan head that quickly pops and fades away to a decent film. Some carbonation evident, but lots coming up from the middle, decorating the glass. Colour is a brown or russet brown. A decent film stays until the end and leaves a little bit of lacing down the sides.

SMELL: A relatively weak nose. Caramel malt and some toffee. Hints of sweet pears and apples, as well as some sweet brown sugar, but not as spicy as I had hoped and expected. Nice, but needs to be much bolder to really make a statement. Average at best.

TASTE: Really lacks initially; nothing up front really. A slight hint of caramel malt and some brown sugar, like the nose, but that's about it. The second act is much more impressive, with a dose of spices, cloves and coriander again, and finishes with some warming spicy alcohol. A strong and long lasting aftertaste has some sweet sugar and lots of spicy elements, with some spicy alcohol the whole way through the end. The initial taste was a big let down, but the second part was good and effectively saved the show.

PALATE: Medium thin body, higher end carbonation and slightly airy going down as well. Slightly more creamy smooth than the Roch 6, it goes down without a bite and finishes with a touch of dryness on the palate. Decent, but nothing overly special. Average.

OVERALL: A decent brew, but nothing worth writing home about. Like the Roch 6, this one doesn't even approach the class of the Rochefort 10. A brew I'd have again, but wouldn't use cellar space to keep in the house. Unfortunately, this one is probably more hype than anything else.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%

I like this beer but I don't love it. I really think this might be my first true let down beer. It's just a belgian version of a brown ale. It's not all that spectacular to me.

Poured into a St. Bernardus apt 12 glass this beer has a dark brown, yet clear look, with a white puffy head that dies to nothing - no lace, nothing (after only 1 minute). So far it's not looking good (pun intended) for hold Rochefort 8.

I loved the nose on 10 but 8 is rather bland. There's not much going on at all. It's smell is much like a homebrew all grain wart I helped make last weekend (that was a rye wheat).

The flavors are much more refined and complex than the nose on this beer. I really didn't expect to have this marriage of malts. The first taste is toffee and caramel that is whisked away by the carbonation (a bit much for my taste - where's the head???). The next pour does coax a head out of hiding but it's gone as fast as it came. There is no hop character but I didn't really expect one after trying the 10.

Mouthfeel is light, a bit over-carbonated and a touch thin for my taste.

Drinkability is off the charts. For a beer over 9% abv this is an easy drinker. I couldn't decide between this and a barleywine for my after dinner drink tonigth, but I think this was a fine choice.

Overall, this is a good but not great beer. For me the 8 is a mere shaddow of the greatness that is Rochefort 10. Both are no match for St. B apt 12. I'm a bit dissappointed but glad that I can still be surprised; even if it's a bad surprise.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into my St Bernardus chalice.

A: Chestnut brown with a foamy tan cap. Head retention is most excellent. Bits and pieces of lace are left in the beer's wake.

S: Bubblegum is the first thing that stood out to me. Rochefort 10 had the same aroma, so I'm thinking bubblegum must be a trait of this brewery. Once I was past the gum, the rest of the beer's fruity sweetness came through. Pears, grapes and apples intermix nicely. Alcohol is pronounced and mixes with the fruits to create a vinous quality.

T: Very wine like up front. The combo of dark fruits and alcohol help the effect along. As the beer swirls in the mouth, a pepper, cinnamon and clove spiciness comes along to provide balance. Finishes very dry and tart, with a mild alcohol warmth.

M: The medium body is marred by a carbonation level that's too high even by Belgian standards.

D: The flavors in this beer are great, but the super tingly carbonation got in the way far too often. Lower the fizz, and this beer would be amazing.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

best by 05/10/11

pours (i like what the last guy said) "muddy brown" - with a 3 finger head that explodes out of the glass

smells of figs bananas pear belgian yeast and brown sugar

taste - wow oh what a couple years can d th this beer - no alcohol heat just one of the smoothest complex beers made - malty bready dark fruit under light fruit

mouthfeel is still very carbonated but finishes nice and creamy - perfect - some how it walks the tight rope with complex flavor and some how feeling light in the mouth

drinkability is scary - after this beer you dont want any other the rest of the night

4.33/5  rDev 0%

a: Muddy brown body with a light tan head. Chunky yeast suspended throughout the body.

s: Brown sugar, molasses, raisins, prunes, uber-complex.

t: Rich brown sugar upfront with notes of rum raisin. A super complex brew, this is what Belgian beer is all about.

m: Full body, carbonation is just right.

d: one of the finest examples of Belgian beer out there. The monks of Rochefort know what they are doing. This is a great introduction for those looking to get into Belgian beer or good beer in general. Rich, complex and balanced.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

A=Deep dark brown with just slightly off white head, leaves moderate lacing

S=some dark fruits, bread and yeast alcohol not too noticeable

T=similar to smell, very nice and balanced, some dark fruits, light alcohol

M=nice gentle tingling, slight oilyness

D=very good, not an overpowering taste, light sweetness, gentle aftertaste all lend to good drinkability

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

A: Dark brown red. Thin off-white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Dark fruits, bread and yeast. Not as assertive as I was expecting.

T: Taste follows the same footprint but treads a little heavier. Figs, cherries, thick breads and yeast. Some booze.

M: Heavily sedimented... I just couldn't get the damn yeast to stop f'ing with my tongue.

D: Suffers from the heavy sediment and a blunted nose/flavor all around... Will have to try again, in case this was a defective bottle... Just didn't feel right... what a downer

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

33cl bottle from Systembolaget. A dark red/brown beer with a clear body and a good sized lasting head that matches the label. Streams of bubbles trail up the glass toward the surface. This is at this point in time probably the best aroma of any beer I've had. It's simply amazing: raisins, cherries, grapes and yeast come leaping out at you, and then an extremely potent cotton candy/toffee aroma last till the very end. The flavor is not as complex, but is very inviting, with porty/winey character. It's sweet, but not cloying, with very restrained bitterness. Maybe the best part is that its not to thick; a little syrupy, but overall finishes clean and easy. I would drink a few more of these if I could, which is dangerous considering the alcohol, which only makes itself known with a warming in the throat. This is an amazing beer.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

My bottle listed as out of date on march 29th, 2011 which means this is just over three years old.

Trapistes Rochefort's 8 pours a hazy brown body with a popping carbonation of head that dissipates to a thin layer rather quickly.

Aromas of clove, allspice, caramel,banana, cinnamon, and bread hit the nose.
The first sip reveals a much lighter flavor than the aroma first held. The tasting notes say licorice and anise in the flavor and if I focus just enough I pick up on it.
It is a bit less spicy and a bit more sweet. The alchohol is hidden rather well at 9.2%, but that is supposed to be the case with a three year old Trappist.

The mouthfeel is the typical luscious fluffy character of the Belgians with a bit of slickness as well.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort