Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

This was the last in the process of tasting all three of these brews.

Aroma, flavor and body was much the same as the 10 and 6. With a lowerer and smaller alcohol finish. This was a good thing.

The complex flavor and finish generated more character.

The 10, 6 and 8 are very good brews. The 8 is one of my top rated active bottled beers for the Belgian Strong style.

tmoneyba, Jan 16, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Reviewed 4/23/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a very dark brown colored body with a big tan head. Has an aroma of malts, hops, perfume, dark fruit, and some alcohol. A taste of dark fruits, perfume, strong alcohol, but a smooth aftertaste. Stronger alcohol than the 10.

jujubeast6000, Jan 09, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -15%

I had to look this up to make sure that what I had was truly the 8 Cuvee Special - and it was, the 2007 vintage.

I happened upon this beer from a guy that brought this to a homebrewing session - amazing find as he had bought/bartered this in Belgium.

Poured deep hazed brown with a fantastic head, quite rocky. Some dark raisin and prunes are noted in the aroma with some band-aid, and subtle spice. Flavor is sweet, phenolic - good but not great or world class. Mouthfeel provides a pleasant experience as expected from this Belgian style with a par drinkability. I would assume that locally fresh this would be a bit better.

brandoneast, Jan 09, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a slightly reddish dark brown with a somewhat soapy/fizzy two inches of beige head. Head settles to a full, thick lace that leaves some patches of stick on the sides, too. Some yeast sediment is evident in the bottom of the glass and in the head, too.

Smell consists of dark fruits and some sweet candi sugar and malt. There are aromas of sweet red grapes, plums, brown sugar, maybe even some rum. The smell is quite nice but it's also on the weak side. Were it stronger it'd probably be a 4.5, but given the prominent booze in the nose it still wouldn't quite be perfect.

Even though the smell was weak, the taste does not live up to it. There is some candi sugar sweetness and nice fruity flavor, but there is also a tannic harshness and a strange dirt/woodsy flavor that doesn't seem to fit. Some grapey flavor, candi sugar, plums and some alcohol in the finish, too. Definitely improves as it warms, but still has the bitter tannins, in particular.

The mouthfeel is much too fizzy and has a wet cardboard sort of quality to it. Medium bodied but really not very smooth or creamy at all. Odd and disappointing.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in this beer. I was really looking forward to trying it but I'm definitely let down. Not very smooth and a bit harsh and rough around the edges. Neither smell nor taste really popped, either. It was ok but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

I'm not convinced that this bottle wasn't kept very well or something, because it just seems a bit off to me. Reading other reviews, however, I see that others have given similar sentiments, so I'm just not sure. I'm going to pick up another bottle next week from another retailer and revisit this review as necessary.

number1bum, Jan 09, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Dark murky brown, some light gets through, nice crown

Smell: Dark bruits - dates, figs, raisins, roast malt, light brown sugar, some spice and alcohol

Taste: Alcohol and malts, I wish it were a little heavier and thicker like the (10), some spiciness. Not enough depth

Mouthfeel: Not as thick, full, silky, or creamy as I had hoped or as it needed to be.

Drinkability: Good, but pales in comparison to the (10) and others of this style; a little on the thin side

craytonic, Jan 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours dark brown colour with nice tan head which dissapeared fairly quickly leaving tons of lace. Smell - malty, bready, touch of caramel, a bit spicy. Alcohol slightly shows up. Taste - easty, bready, malty, very complex and very balanced. Rich, smooth, very delicious brew. It's very drinkable for ABV.
Great stuff.

Voonder, Jan 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

A muddy brown color pour with lively carbonation and a two finger offwhite head.Aroma of wine grapes,cherries apples and oaky vanilla.Flavor is dry and fruity at the start,as it warms you get more of the sweet side of the malt,some brown sugar and a touch of peppery spice.A crisp mouthfeel. Very good !

WakeandBake, Jan 04, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle, nice turbid and cloudy brown color with a puffy head,. Smells malty, some spice but not much. The taste is unlike almost any other beer I have had, so strange. Gummy, spicy, malts, Dr. Pepper. Quite different but I'm not sure its my thing. The alcohol is well hidden which makes it quite easy to make it through the glass.

ArrogantB, Jan 04, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

330 ml bottle pours cola brown with a very bubbly white head. You could swear that it was Coke. The head is quite persistent.

Aroma is actually reminiscent of a Scotch ale. It's quite malty and has subtle sweetness. Not at all what I was expecting, but not a bad thing.

The taste is also going against my pre-conceived notion of what a Belgian strong dark ale should taste like. I was expecting something like Maudite, but this is far more subdued. It's pretty malty. In fact, it's really malty It's only vaguely spicy. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden. It's also borderline sweet. Interesting stuff.

Mouthfeel is phenomenal. It's creamy and smooth, but with good carbonation. Nearly perfect in this regard.

If you were to plunk down a glass of TR8 and tell me to have a guess at what the alcohol content is, I would never in a million years suspect this of being 9.2%. Never. This is one of the most deceptive beers I've ever had. The price and the abv keep this sucker from being anything remotely sessionable, but I'll return for one again sometime down the road.

BigJim5021, Jan 03, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

A- Foamy one finger head, hazy chesnut body.

S- Complex dried fruits mingled with hints of caramel. Vinous notes and fruity esters are evident as well.

T- Caramel maltyness, dried fruits, spicy yeast character, vinous warming esters, they are all in such wonderful balance.

M- Slight carbonic bit otherwise very smooth.

D- There is a bigger bottle, isn't there?

Man oh man is this stuff great. There's obvious complexity that dares you to decipher it, but you know you're better of just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Pauly2X, Jan 03, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this beer hyped up before I drank it, so I was expecting the world. Didn't quite get the world, per se, but it's sure as hell a fair sight better than a stick in the eye. Rich brown color with a light tan head. Aroma is sweet with overripe dark fruit and molasses. Flavor is that of figs, allspice, and a hint of what might be juniper soaked in dark, sweet wine (really, that's what I came up with). A wonderful beverage, but I didn't fall out of my seat.

BasementDweller, Dec 29, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -3%

A: Creamy white 1 1/2 finger head. Reddish-Brown color, and very murky and mysterious. Black speckles of the yeast give it a peppered appearance.

S: Sweet, sugary, malty smell with a hint of vanilla with strong bourbon and alcohol aromas.

T: Sweet at first, then develops the vanilla and bourbon flavors, leaving your mouth bitter. Leaves you craving another drink for a rush of brown sugary sweetness.

M: Chewy but not too filling. really fizzy

Overall, First beer of the night and I'm already feeling the warmth. The alcohol flavors are strong but this beer brought back memories of drinking Jim Beam with a friend a few years ago.

OlRasputin989, Dec 27, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Had this on Christmas evening along with a few others. This is a review from notes.

A - poured a cloudy cherry brown with a thin, off-white cap in my chalice. Continuous bubbles kept the cap there the entire session. No lace. Yeast settles in the chalice after a little while so keep it swirling.

S - aroma was a tad on the light side but there were notes of sweet caramel malts, toffee, hints of figs, prunes, and raisins. A touch of alcohol in the end gives it a somewhat port-like aroma.

T - sweet maltiness in the beginning blended with some concord grape juice, figs, caramel, and port. Finishes bittersweet with a tiny touch of hops (whoa.... hops!) and an alcoholic kick. I also detect some cocoa... complex and excellent.

M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Very smooth but a bit too carbonated for my liking.

D - For such a big beer, highly drinkable. Can definitely do a couple of them in an evening.

Overall - $4.99/bottle of this stuff at Hegedorn's was a STEAL!!! I bought out their entire stock of this and the Rochie 10's when I went. This is my first time having a Rochie 8 and it is absolutely phenomenal! Great tasting, excellent drinkability. The only thing keeping me from giving the smell a perfect score was the fact that it was a bit less pronounced that I expected. The mouthfeel was a bit over carbonated. One of these is most certainly not enough for an evening but I can never bring myself to drink more than one for a special occasion (this occasion was Christmas so of course I had to). Anyway, this is an exceptional beer and should age quite well. I'm looking forward to seeing what a few years will do to this. I believe it pairs well with some aged sharp cheddar or swiss cheese.
A must try for any Belgian beer lover. Simply divine.

DmanGTR, Dec 27, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle at 52 degrees into a goblet.

Appearance is a muddy reddish brown with a light tan head that overflowed all over the place. Good thing I had my Belgian foam cleanup towel around, since every time I have one it makes a huge mess. As a result there are giant chunks of sediment swimming around having a jolly good time at the expense of my bowels. However, it does leave a nice sheet of lace, so I guess I can forgive it.

The aroma is like the little brother of the 10. Lots of dark fruit character reminding me of raisins and figs. It also has that creamy character almost like lactose, but not at all. Some light milk chocolate notes, and a touch of spiciness as well.

The taste is initially quite sweet with the dark fruit flavors coming through first. That lactose-like flavor comes next, perhaps it's from all the yeast that got poured in. Spiciness comes in next but it's a soft spicy. It blends with the fruitiness and that is transformed into the linger with a bit of earthy hop flavors showing up to crash the party.

Mouthfeel is very nice as usual with Rochefort. Medium in body with a very smooth creaminess with the perfect amount of carbonation. Unfortunately to get this carbonation the glass must overflow though.

I am not as impressed with this as much as the Rochefort 10 though that is expected. When I think of similar beers the Westvleteren 8 definitely tops this. I am going to revisit the 6 sometime soon as well, it's been too long. When it comes down to it, even though this is good, I am always just going to go with the 10.

roadhouse, Dec 26, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12%

Pours a ruddy red / brown opaque with small white particles floating about. Had a very sweet flavor as is expected. I'm pretty new at reviewing beer, but I can say with certaintly that my impression of the beer without thinking too much was that its drinkability and balance were its highpoints compared to a lot of other beers that I've had, but I tend to be a bit biased towards certain brews. The only weakpoint I would have to point out is that the small floating particles (which I didn't taste or feel while drinking) is only slightly off-setting in the beginning.

It's a great beer and is definitely on my personal top 5.

ebingen, Dec 21, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Reviewed on 7/17/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown, slightly lighter than the 10, with a frothy light tan head. Aroma of delicious apple, pear, raisin, and yeast. Flavor of apple skins, awesome combination of light fruits, with a full, rich creamy palate. Light alcohol burn but certainly not as boozy as the 10 (which I love, but you've got to be in the mood for boozy). It took me awhile to decide if I liked this better than the 10 - not as flavorfully complex perhaps but I do love those light fruits. The mouthfeel is simply incredible. Almost perfect and my favorite Belgian Strong Ale.
10/5/9/5/20 (4.9/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
4.33/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a cloudy red-orange-black with particles in the bottom. It has a fluffy off-white head with good endurance. It has a moderately sweet roasted aroma. It's the sweetness of apple, date, and the warmth of black pepper and alcohol. It has a well-balanced sweet-sour-bitter flavor and a rather thick, soft, dry body that leaves a trail of alcohol and a yearning for another bottle of this.
(rated Feb 6, 2007)

yesyouam, Dec 20, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked this up at Greens on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque brown color with a towering three-finger slightly off-white head. The head hangs on for a while, forcing me to pour in intervals, before finally settling down into a thin layer of bubbles on top. Lacing is decent.

Smells of Belgian candy sugar, brown sugar, and spicy malt. There'

Tastes great. Belgian candy sugar up front goes along with brown sugar. There's a grainy maltiness that's joined by a bit of spice. The sweetness subsides a bit as the beer warms. There's a very, very mild amount of bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel is great. This is probably my favorite part of the beer. It's velvety, with a good thickness and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. The flavor profile changes with almost every sip, and it's a lighter Belgian Dark.

Overall I'm glad I revisited this beer, and as I'm drinking the 10 I think I prefer the 8. It's a bit lighter with what I think is better balance. Give this one a try if you haven't already.

glid02, Dec 19, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served in dogfish head pint glass.

A-Murky brownish color, white head dissipated fairly quickly, really doesn't look so appetizing-kind of like dirty pond water
S-Boozy, raisin/date fruits, brown sugar smell, slight sourdough smell, more like maple syrup as warms
T-Yeast, booze flavor, mild date like fruit, some cocoa and tobacco, low hop present, as it warms mild leather flavor, mild sour as well, very complex and not too sweet like other Strong darks.
M-Fizzes fairly quickly in mouth whih makes some of the flavors hard to taste, Swirled a bit and the carbo died down a little but gets in the way of the flavor during the first half of the beer, medium mouthfeel, fairly drying.
O-I really wanted to enjoy this beer but the overcarbonated feel made hard to taste and not so enjoyable an experience, Underlying flavors are complex but hard to taste for a while. I bet this is fantastic with at least 2 years of age on it.

hopsleeroy, Dec 18, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -33%

Sampled on 12-16-08

Pours a super-cloudy orange/brown, with a thin off-white head that lasts forever. A few yeasty chunks escaped and made it into the glass.

Smell is boozy, very wine-like, lots of fermented fruit and little bit of sour malt. Never-ending, and very complex.

Taste is very yeasty, a little old, and very thin. A bit of roasty malt at first followed by watery, off flavor.

Mouthfeel is super carbonated, fizzes in your mouth. I wonder if this bottle is past its prime.

Drinkability is no good because the flavors are not good.

Overall, very disappointing. I hope it's better the next time I try it.

BMoney575, Dec 17, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

High time I reviewed this beer.

The beer pours a murky brown color with sensational head retention and lacing. It doesn't get much better then this. On the nose I get chocolate, brown sugar and maple syrup. The beer smells pretty nice. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, though there's also some cherry and spice as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, though there's a lightness on the palate that I appreciate. Drinkability is pretty amazing; I would never guess the abv. is nearly 10%. If anything, this beer is entirely too easy to drink.

This is a solid beer, no doubt, but IMO there is no comparison between it and it's bigger brother, the Rochefort 10. So while this is a nice enough beer, for an extra buck or two, I'll always go with the 10 if it's available.

John_M, Dec 15, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: Best by date printed as 6/25/13. Pours dark and thick into a snifter; 1 finger of head forms on top and stays there forever, like vanilla icing on a dark chocolate torte.

Smell: Yeast hits strongly on the nose. Faint estery notes, bananas, rising sourdough, with even fainter notes of tropical fruit, like starfruit or jackfruit.

Taste: Strong alcohol first hits the palate. Slight carbonation to begin with, followed by sourdough taste. Almost tastes like Stollen as it's baking: the yeasty flavor has not had time to settle yet, but there are rum-soaked fruits in there. Yeast carries its way through, with the other fruits just slightly rearing their head. Massive carbonation and tingle builds towards the end, followed by a medium alcoholic finish.

Overall: Doesn't taste much like the other Belgian Strong Dark Ales: much stronger yeast, almost yogurt-y flavor more reminiscent of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale or Tripel. This is not quite what I was expecting seeing that it is sometimes compared with a Chimay Bleue or Trois Pistoles. It is a little too thin without any of the sweetness that usually accompanies a dark ale. I feel like this would improve with age; it's a little too tart right now.

thekanna, Dec 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

11.2 oz bottle. Cloudy brown pour into a Chimay chalice with a fantastic frothy large tan head. Great even lacing with yeast particles suspended in the glass. Aroma of plums, yeast and raisins. Full taste with caramel, yeast, malt, and dark fruit present. Nice even but full finish.

kevd193213, Dec 07, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 11,2oz bottle into a snifter

A_Beautiful opaque dark mahogany color. Very thick three fingered tan head that dissipates to a one fingered steady cap

S_Like fresh dark real maple syrup, sweet. Semi-sweet chocolate

T_Alcohol is definitely present, very warming, very dark maple syrup taste, chocolate covered coffee beans. Emmen-Thalen swiss cheese fondu. Aftertaste is very much like dark cough syrup.

M_Overall starts off very mellow but ends up a little bit medicinal. Dances on the pallet with decent carbonation considering this dark ale's ABV. Doesn't coat the mouth as much as I thought it would

D_This one is a sipper. The taste isn't very prohibitive but the ABV and the slight medicinal taste is. I don't think I would go for another soon. I will buy it again eventually though

echdk3, Dec 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Similar to taste as 10 but less alcohol (9.2%) vs (11.3%). Note: the 6,8,10 are all the same beer just varying starting OG.

A: The beer poured a dark mahogany with a thin frothy beige head that left a thin film lacing.

S: The nose was dark fruits, raisins, figs with a big bready presence and a dark brown sugar sweetness.

T: The flavor started out sweet and creamy, with dried fruit, bread, rich chocolate and a dark caramel sweetness. Some figs, dates and cinnamon are also detected. A great complexity of dark fruit and dark sugar sweetness blends together for a rich and vibrant drink. Finishes with a nice creamy caramel fade, and citrus peel. Very deep and rich. An excellent example overall.

M: medium, creamy, with a strong carbonation tingle with dried caramel lacing the tongue.

D: As with their other beers very good drinkability and a rare treat if you find it. A rich lustrious desert drink.

beerthulhu, Dec 05, 2008