Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours brown in color with ruby highlights. The most impressive thing is the frothy half inch head that is still there several minutes after the pour. This beer looks good! Very carbonated and creamy feel. Taste has a certain spice going on. Not as much dark fruit as the 10, but still noticeable. Very good beer that I could drink regularly. This is far from a knock, but I prefer the 10.

FtownThrowDown, Jul 19, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

L: Dark, chocolatey tar colour - dark brownish murky black. Tan hat, which stays thick and creamy for a long time - perfect, about 1-1½ fingers thick.

S: Rich and fresh. Hint of raisins and some alcohol. Somehow a bit smokey, like fine tobacco in a good pipe.

T: Belgian(!), sweet yet powerful. More attitude than the classic dark abbey ale you expect from a belgian brew. Sweet first sip and a very gentle finish. Really fine flavour and a feeling of relaxation and content. Dark fruits, plums. Complex and hard to describe but it sure is satisfying.

F: As mentioned before: very satisfying and smooth.

D: Easy and nice to drink, yet not as easy as other belgian dark ales (Gulden Draak comes to mind). I like this one, it's more of a classy beer. I always recommend and let people taste my Rochefort stock at nice parties and most people find it very exciting and spicy. Some have even said exceptional. It's one fine beer, it sure is one of my top 5 at the moment.

Serving: from bottle into a tulip glass

krunchie, Jul 18, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: It's a murky medium brown but with honeyed hues. (Hold it up to the light to see.) Good head, which dissipates relatively quickly, and light lace on the glass after swishing.

Smell: Fruity smell, with floral notes.

Taste: I drank this in a wine glass, after letting it settle for a few minutes. For a beer that's 9.2 percent ABV, this beer is really easy on the tongue. It's very complex, but I found it well-balanced. There's a sweetness (think berries, figs, and other dark fruits) that's offset by the maltiness. But there's not much bitterness at all. My husband and I found the taste of the beer was evocative of its origin with its slightly musky undertones. Really nice finish.

Mouthfeel: It felt light on the tongue, but not too effervescent.

Drinkability: High.

jozols, Jul 14, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer was tasted in a goblet from the 330mL bottle.

The beer pours a murky brown with a frothy off white head that refuses to yield, leaving lace down the side of the glass. The smell is full of caramel and prunes. The taste echoes the smell with a bit of burnt chocolate in there as well. The body is medium with lively carbonation. Overall, a pretty good BSDA. I think that the depth achieved by the 10 is unmatched however.

MSchae1017, Jul 14, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Burnt orange infused with coral red and butterscotch. Backlight this beer and you will be rewarded. The attractive beige crown isn't the typical Belgian masterpiece, but it's more than worthy of praise. As are the scattered splotches of sea foam lace. A classic BSDA look.

Just like the color, the aroma isn't as dark as some beer of this style. That doesn't mean that it's anything less than good. Medium-dark fruit (dates, figs) leads the way. There isn't enough roasted maltiness to bring the darker fruits into play. Yeasty spice is on the low end.

I'm not floored by Trappistes Rochefort 8. Since the 'best by' date is approximately one year away, this bottle is now four years old. I appreciate the fact that the monks think it can last that long (and in ideal conditions it probably can), but it tastes a little long in the tooth. It isn't bad, but it isn't the world-beater that was expected.

The malt backbone has almost certainly taken a hit because it isn't as sturdy as it should be. There's slightly more dark fruitiness now, with a mixture of golden and dark raisins joining the party, in addition to the fruits noted above. There's also more ground clove and a hint of black licorice. Breadth of flavor is there, depth of flavor is not (which is often one of the casualites of age).

No way is this beer, this classic Belgian ale, where it needs to be on the mouthfeel front. It's no larger than light-medium and is slightly too fizzy. There is none of that perfectly bubbled, supremely silky, lightly lush... lusciousness... that makes Belgian brewers the undisputed kings of mouthfeel.

At the risk of overstating the case (and despite the fact that it's well within the monks' wishes for proper consumption) this bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 has seen better days. It's definitely good beer, but I was expecting great beer. I hereby resolve to purchase a fresher sample and give it another review.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 11, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Musty brown, with a nice white head which didn't stick around as near as long as I'd like. Good colour once it was in the chalice.

S: Very fruity. Bread, yeast, rasins, and other things I could not identify to save myself. I'm guessing apples in there, as I thought I could taste a hint, but I'm not confident enough to say for sure. Definitely something I enjoyed smelling half as much I enjoyed drinking. Anything other than a chalice would be a sin.

T: Rich, complex, with very little taste of ethanol. Very sweet, and it lingers in the mouth for a few moments before coming away cleanly.

M: As I said, comes away cleanly. Very smooth, and (To steal someone else's description) silky. Maybe even a bit more than the 10

mrkc, Jul 11, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to Bort11 for the beer!

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into a chalice....

Appearance: A murky medium brown color. Nice off white head with decent retention.

Smell: Very fruity. I smell raisins, cherries, yeast, alcohol.

Taste: Whoa. Lots of dark fruit mixed with some spice. The malt comes across as well. The alcohol really blends nicely as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Feels warm and satisfying going down. Wonderful aftertaste. The carbonation is just right for me.

Drinkability: I gotta say, I really like this beer. The more belgians I have, the more I find that I like. Well done monks!

FSUmac, Jul 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Slightly bready aroma with lots of apple and raisin. Yeasty. A touch of apple cider.

Good size creamy off-white head that doesn't die. Light lacing. Cloudy brown body.

Relatively sweet. Lots of fruit - raisins, apple, dried fruits - with a pleasant brown sugar sort of malt body. Very well integrated. Nice finish.

Medium/full body with a wonderful creaminess. Medium to low carbonation - very pleasant for this beer. Low alcohol presence. Very drinkable.

All in all, a very tasty beer. Not as complex as the 10, but a great beer nonetheless.

rallison, Jul 10, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

330ml. bottle in a 16oz. Imperial Pint glass.
A vigorous steady pour filled the glass with a spectacular 2 finger frothy tan head that rapidily diminshed to a solid, bubbley 1/4" that lasts through the glass. Insignificant lace.

I could smell this beer BEFORE I ever tasted it or put it to my nose....
Alcohol & spiced rum, coffee, raisins, prunes, honey, sugar, BROWN SUGAR!, warm fresh baked breads or cake, remarkably complex & inviting but hard to separate. There's alot happening here.

Cloudy, dark tea colored. Sparkling columns of pin head bubbles. A few small floaties. This beer glitters in the glass.

TEFLON TASTE: Incredible & slick ~ equally complex & appealing:

Coffee, caramel, plums, raisins, ripe bananas, chocolate, sharp spices & piney hops, dark berries & creamy, nutty, pudding like malts.

Not too sweet on the lips, not too hoppy, with a carbonation tingle & a slow fade to a warm, spicey finish. Alcohol warms through the swallow.

This beer is NARCOTIC!

It came highly recommended & I wasn't disappointed. As I explore different styles this
particular offering stands out head & shoulders above my recent samplings. I'm getting more & I'm gonna cellar some.

TATTORSO, Jul 08, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

11.2oz bottle purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp. NJ. Drank from a Chimay chalice.

A: Opaque brown body. 1 finger of light tan head. Head had long hang time and was very clingy.

S: Sweet and malty, caramel and tofffe. Some breadiness, yeast and alcohol. A very faint hint of hops.

T: Sweet malty beginning with hints of dark fruit. Gives way to some yeasty spiciness and very faint hops. Warm alcohol in the finsh.

M: Medium body. Crisp and tingly.

D: A very complex beer. One to sip and take in all it has to offer.

Jerzdevil1116, Jul 08, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Leathery brown ale with a tan head that rises thick above the beer. Clingy head sticks to the sides of the glass and leaves fantastic lacing. One of the prettiest brews I've ever seen.

Smell is slightly fruity sweet. Green apples with a dark candied caramelized sugar backbone. Very smooth and mouth watering.

Taste is a rich warm biscuity malt. Sweet caramel and fine sugar candies mixed with apple flavor bubblegum. Crisp and bubbly mouthfeel makes the beer feel light and creamy on the palate. The aftertaste has a great hop bite and a nice spiciness with a complementary warmth.

Easy to drink, flavorful and unique. Very complex and a lot of great features. One of the best Belgians I've ever had.

jbphoto88, Jul 08, 2008

a: deep maroon with very slight columns of bubbles and a frothy off-white head that coats the top of the glass and leaves light lace

s: strong grain with light fruits; some light alcohol and caramel; dust

t: tart fruits; strong grain; red wine; banana bread; light alcohol; dark toffee malts; yeasty bitterness

m: smooth light carb

d: i have had this beer before a couple of times and remember it as being a little bit more fruity but it is still quite good

hoegaardenhero, Jul 07, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +9%

In talking with my pal Zoran about heady beers, especially those from Belgium, this one was recommended by him as being his favorite. He brought over one for me to sample and review, so here we go.

Pours thick leaving a very frothy one inch head with great retention. A lot of sediment and adjunct sank to the bottom and some are sticking around in the head as well. Scary at first for me, but later I am calmed by the great mouthfeel and drinkability of this one. Highly carbonated. Opaque dark and smooth caramel appearance. Thick lacing.

Smell is quite complex. Sweet malts balance with spicy floral hops for a uniquely pleasant experience. Hints of raisins. At first the alcohol was not present in the nose, but upon finishing about 3/4 of it, the alcohol smell is starting to come through.

Taste is so silky and smooth with many of the characteristics already noted in the nose. The mouthfeel on this one is perhaps the most pleasant I have ever experienced. Perfectly carbonated. Almost scary how easy this one is to drink considering the high ABV.

Superb brew.

ibbjamin, Jul 06, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12%

11.2 oz bottle, bought at the PCC co-op, served in a large red wine glass. Tasted paired with Chimay washed-rind cheese (great pairing, btw).

A beautiful pour, with gigantic off-white head over a deep brown, slightly cloudy beer. Head went down a bit, but never less than a quarter inch on top, regenerating after I swirled for aroma. Moderate lacing on the glass.

It being allergy season, I'm not totally reliabile on aroma, but definite complex malt notes, some fruit, and maybe just a bit of barnyard.

Complex flavor, with lots of nutty malt accompanied by dark dried fruit flavors, more prune-fig than rasin.

The mouth is paradoxically crisp yet full. If I'm reading the label right this bottle is actually a few years old, but it is still a little bit hot. This doesn't, however, hurt the overall experience too much.

Finish is long and complex, with the fig and prune flavors emerging and evolving as it goes on.

Overall, one of the best glasses of beer I've tasted -- one of those beers that leaves you with an overall sense of well-being when you're done, more than can be attributed to the 9% ABV alone. This is my first actual trappist beer, and it has me seriously wondering how people drink something this epiphanic and then go on with their everyday life. I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to brush my teeth tonight.

bolddeciever, Jul 05, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +12%

The bottle opened with a fizz and it sounded like pouring coke. Med-dark brown, hazy, garnet highlights. 1/2 finger head with dense off white bubbles. Intense fruit on the nose. mandarine & lemons, nothing like the caramel bananas I remember from last time. Malt aromas are poking through but it's mandarine all the way for me. Incredibly complex taste, malty, toasty, fruity, melanoidiny with a good boozy kick in the arse. Bitterness is superbly balanced. wow, this beer is an epiphany. This is almost as good as when I first tasted rochy 10 in amsterdam. I didn't think it could be this good. One of my all time greatest beer experiences.

goatherder, Jul 05, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured Coca-Cola brown with about 1 cm of medium tan head. Appears a bit cloudy. Not sure if this is normal for the style. Seems to be unfiltered with quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so no loss of points on appearance for the cloudiness. Not much detectable aroma for me. Maybe a hint of hops? Fairly balanced taste, with maybe a little more malt than hops. A bit of alcohol warming going down. Nice flavor. Hard to find anything I don't like about the flavor of this one. Medium/high carbonation, medium body. VERY drinkable, but with the high ABV I doubt I could drink many of them.

BeerCheese, Jul 02, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice

Pours a murky, deep brown with a thick, one-finger head that has awesome staying power and leaves rings of lacing down my glass.

Strong alcohol presence dominates the nose. Smell is of sweet malts, belgian yeast, raisins, nuts and dark fruit esters.

Big time malt and yeast flavor with a sweet finish. There is a roasted nut, raisin and an earthy spice. Has all the flavors you would expect and in good balance. Just nothing overly fantastic.

Typical belgian carbonation, medium body. Leave a sweet coating all over your mouth.

Not the easiest, but definitely better than average.

ColForbinBC, Jul 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Aroma - Malt sweetness. Nutty, estery (rasin, plum) with a pronounced yeast aroma. The aroma is not very strong. I'm having trouble picking out specifics in the aroma with this beer. As the beer warms a bit I get more of the alcohol aroma, and a hint of dark sugar.

Appearance - Dark brown with red highlights. Pours with very slight haze and a 1/2 finger light tan head. Good head retention.

Flavor - A little malt sweetness with a high presence of alcohol. The raisin and dark sugar carry through. Again the yeast is a prominent note in this beer. Much to my disappointment the alcohol is a very dominating flavor. Looking under the alcohol, the malt and yeast are very nice flavors. I only wish the alcohol was less apparent.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. High carbonation. Well balanced between bitter and sweet. Some alcohol on the swallow.

Overall Impression - This beer was a bit of a disappointment for me. Even for a beer at 9% ABV I am quite surprised at the amount of alcohol in the flavor because there is little detected in the aroma, and mouthfeel. Being able to tolerate hot beers this is drinkable, but I would only buy again once in a great while. This beer doesn't have the wonderful
complexities that I've come to know and love from Rochefort. As noted from another review, the yeast spice and the alcohol doesn't really work for me.

Hullabaloo2, Jun 29, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -35.3%

A. Dark brown- almost black. A thin large head forms and quickly dies down to a thin covering. Very thin head.

S. It had a darker sweet smell. Perhaps a rasin/plum type deal with some sugar/molasses. Not a strong smell but certainly a lot going on here.

M. Slightly thicker than the 6. Not a creamy or thick beer though. The carbonation is somewhat thin but "bubbly" feeling on the tongue. The more I drink the more the body seem to mostly be carbonation.

T. Sweet almost sour. Some raisins and a nice spicy kind of mix similar to the 6.

D. A lot of flavor here, but the spicy flavor with the alcohol really doesn't work completely. It doesn't demand a desire to drink more and more.

Of the 3 Rochefort's this is by far the most interesting. This is certainly a beer that's worth trying. The cost is way too high and ultimately it isn't something I'll buy again.

bobhits, Jun 28, 2008

Smell: sweet and somewhat "smooth" smell; dried fruits, some almonds, some spices (almost like Orval?).

Taste: sweet taste of dried fruits (raisin, plum), almonds and sugar, and figs as well. Some bitterness, but this beer has a soft and smooth character, except for the alcohol.

This is great stuff, but the alcohol is a bit annoying.

simonjohansson, Jun 24, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Consumed 06/23/08.

Pours a deep, cloudy brown into a Triple Petrus tulip glass. A three finger, light tan head forms and slowly reduces to a thin layer of foam. Plenty of carbonation; bubbles stream up constantly.

Aroma is sweet: molasses and dark, pitted fruits. A woody note as well - oak, maybe?
Reminds me a little of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum as well.

Thick and chewy in the mouth with mild tingling of carbonation on the tongue. Finishes a little wet, making the palate ready for the next sip.

Flavor is fairly subtle and nuanced. Must concentrate to pick out the flavors from the overall mix.

Banana rum bread with raisins comes to mind. Spicy: cloves and black pepper also present.

Alcohol very well hidden in this beer, making it crazy easy to drink.

Not one of my favorites, but I admire how well-made this is.

charlzm, Jun 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Alright, the appearance is pretty standard BSDA - dark, with an off white head. I've had a number of these in the past few days and they all look very similar.

The aroma is absolute heaven. Loads of spice (slightly peppery and sweet), fruit (plums, maybe cherries as well?), and the slightest touch of alcohol. The spice character is perhaps the strongest I've ever noticed in a dark Belgian like this, in which fruit is, in my experience, usually dominant. It's top notch.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma. The slightly sweet, slightly sour fruit character that I love about so many Belgian darks is present up front, but it's immediately overcome by spice. The 9.2% ABV is noted on the finish, but it's well integrated and not harsh or fusel-like. A little rumlike, perhaps. I tend to associate this combination of alcohol, spice, and sweetness with good rum. I could personally use a little more balance here, as the fruit character is, to me, too overpowered by the yeasty spice. However, it's hard to lay too much fault a beer this flavorful.

All in all, I could use a slightly more full body for a beer of this potency, but it is still quite smooth and relatively easy drinking. This isn't quite a sipper, but don't guzzle it either. A delightful brew!

BullCityB, Jun 23, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Very cloudy brown color, with a finger or so of off-white head. Decent retention; falls to thick off-white collar. Excellent lacing.

S - Tons of caramel and bread with a definite butterscotch element. Vanilla and wood mingle with the noticable alcohol.

T - Sweet vanilla and caramel hit first, with a dark banana bread backbone. Taste begins drying out quickly mid palate with noticable alcohol. A bit of hop earthiness pulls through near the finish, with a fairly intense bitterness.

M - Somewhat highly carbonated, and a medium/light mouthfeel. More body and less carbonation would make this better for me.

D - I wouldn't ever have more than one at a time. It's not all that intense; it's decent enough, but something about this brew is unbalanced. I much prefer Rochefort 10.

PatrickJR, Jun 21, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

330ml bottle bought at Malt and Vine in Redmond, WA

A: deep mahogany color with a slight orange hue typical of the style. visible fizzyness, very slightly viscous when pouring. HUGE creamy off white tan head, almost 3 fingers worth! Head sticks to the side almost immediately leaving intricate sticky lacing.

S: very malty but with a noticeable hop balance. minimal alcoholic presence, and somewhat phenolic. Nice mix of spices and sweet dark fruit.

T: this is incredibly malty. aftertaste is very sweet. it's complimented by a slight bitterness from the hops, but still feels overwhelmingly sweet. I also detect a roasted nutty essence. earthy and spicy and somewhat vinous but mostly malty.

M: smooth, refreshing, a very slight chewiness about it, but all around a great beer.

D: dangerously drinkable, this is like fizzy grown up juice.

Overall impressions: I was really looking forward to this beer, but after having a Unibroue Maudite, it just doesn't quite stack up. Don't get me wrong this is a GREAT beer, but if we're rating it and comparing it to others in the same style, Maudite is the clear winner.

julian, Jun 18, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the reviews here, I'm wondering if I ended up with an older bottle. Plus, I'm new to the hardcore Trappist brews, so I may be missing some of the nuance with said beers. Nonetheless, here goes.

Served in a 330ml bottle, cap already opened by the waitstaff. Poured into a red wine glass (shame on them for not having a proper goblet).

Decent tan head, but I immediately noticed both a dark sediment poured into the bottom of the glass and lighter sediment floating through the beer itself. A second look at the bottle showed some discoloration on the label. I didn't think to look at the expiry/bottling date, but the appearance struck me that this one was sitting around for some time. A dark sediment remained at the bottom of the bottle, and the homebrewer in me thought for a moment of trying to scrape it out and use the yeast in another beer. But that's too much damn work.

The appearance was mitigated by the beer's amazing smell. Sweet bread, some fruit and spice notes, absolutely enticing. I let the beer settle down a bit before sipping, hoping the sediments would fall to the bottom.

At least to my untrained tastebuds, the beer was fabulous. Warm, malty flavors with hints of banana and clove, followed by a warming alcohol that wasn't overpowering but rather complimentary. Coated the mouth perfectly and was eminently drinkable, though I took my time to let the sediment settle after each sip.

So...again, I don't think the sediment was indicative of the style (I've had American-made Belgian dubbles, tripels and others before), and I definitely plan to get another fresher bottle as soon as possible. But that said, I'm quite impressed regardless. And it went amazingly well with the tender roast beef au jus I had for lunch. I imagine it would go down well with just about any decadent meal.

Newsman, Jun 17, 2008