Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from an 11.2 oz bottle

A: nice tan head. Beer itself is a dark brown, quite a bit of yeast sediment in and throughout the beer

S: Heavy notes of tropical fruit, bananas, figs

T: Malty taste with serious fruity flavors. The alcohol is a presence but not in a bad way. There is a spiciness about this beer as well. Then it moves back to a fruity finish. There is a real complexity of flavors here. This ain't the beer daddy let you sip when you were a kid

M: Creamy and smooth

D: Not one I would throw in the cooler for the tailgate. Its so far above that its rediculous! This is one to really be appreciated. This is an excellent beer! One of the best I've ever had

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Oh how happy I was to find this in a great beer store not too far from where I live...I've got the Rochefort 6 sitting there beckoning me as well, but this one called to me first. I must say, I like this one better than the more highly prized Rochefort 10.

The appearance is a turbid, cloudy brown, with plenty of yeast at the bottom. Superb off-white lace all around the glass and is going nowhere. Head retention is superb as well. Twenty minutes and counting.

Smells very similar to Rochefort 10 - some pine, citrus, and hidden phenols.

Taste is truly exceptional - tastier than its more alcoholic sibling. This is like the hotter younger sister, one might say. Spiced apples, hops are barely distinguishable, and are overshadowed by the powerful malty flavor. Make sure you taste the vanilla flavor all the way down your trachea.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated at first, very very smooth on the way down, slightly chewy due to the yeast, but wholly satisfying every second.

If they had this on tap anywhere near here, I'd probably lose my job. Nice job, Rochefort Trappistes...

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Brew poured to a deep brown color with a big medium tan colored head that broke down quite quickly, no lacing. A lot of yeast floaties in the glass. The aroma is nice and extremely dynamic, strong malt aroma with a great mix of fruit, cherries and figs. Also has a musty brandy scent that goes along with things very well. The flavor is absolutely incredible, I thought that the flavor was dynamic, the flavor takes it to a different level. Picking up the malts, they give a chocolate like flavor that was not noticeable in the nose, cherry is there as well with an ever so slight coffee flavor. What is probably a little crazy is it somewhat reminds me of a root-beer float with the end flavors and carbonation. Extremely drinkable, the alcohol does not come through one bit as it is hidden in the complexity of this brew. Oh so good!!!

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured it into a pint glass... off white head which dissipated rather quickly, and a dark color. I couldn't even tell that there was 9.2% alcohol in it, it was very smooth to drink.

Wish this beer was cheaper here... I'd be drinking it all the time.

Poured into a snifter at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A dark brown color with copper hues. There was a nice billowy one finger head, the head didn't not last long. The clarity of the beer is hazy.

Nose:A rich maltiness with a over yeasted aroma.

Taste: A bitter maltiness, with a stale yeast bread and flat carbonation.

Overall: I honestly think I got a bad bottle of beer. It don't taste like beer and sure is not a strong Belgium beer. It don't taste even close to a Chimay Grand Reserve. I am going to see if I can find another bottle of beer. I will be reviewing this. I am dumping this down the drain.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Dark brown, small one finger head fades quickly into nothingness. Murky dark brown color that prevents any light from penetrating.

S - Sweet roasted malt, Fig, and ripe bannanas. I also get the faintest hint of chocolate and sweet sappiness.

T - Really complex. Phenols and spiciness up front that play vigoursly but never overwhelm. Big malt flavors follow going from molasses to brownies, toasted bread to mild coffee. Fruitiness like figs and apricot along with vanilla with a slight earthiness also.

MF - Full bodied with a dry clean finish. Velvety smooth, creamy malt mouthfeel, but not too heavy.

D - A rich beer. The ABV is masked very well. Dangerously drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2oz bottle poured into a Tulip

A - Dark brown, small head fades quickly to nothing. highly carbonated. Not too cloudy, but there is sediment.

S - Sweet roasted malt, Fig and a hint of chocolate. Maple syrup and a faint bit of wood.

T - Really complex. Best attribute of this beer. Fig and Vanilla with a little woody/earthiness to it.

MF - Medium to full body. Dry clean finish. Masks the ABV very well

D - A rich beer. A glass, two at the most.

Very different but nice. Complex. Like word association for your tongue. This is supposed to be the example for the style and if it is, then lets try some more.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours a thick head into my chalice, the head is coloured off-white/cream. The body is a dark ruddy-brown that is opaque, letting in a hint of light at the bottom, where the yeast is once again settling.

S - a ripe and fruity scent is intermingled with an incredibly complex fragrance.

T - a very smooth alcohol taste that is complemented by the creamy head, the malts also come easily to the palate. Nothing is abrupt about this brew; the subtle combination of so many slight flavours is enticing and elusive. But again, the alcohol taste is made impressively smooth.

MF&D - smooth, with a very crisp carbonation. Though, the prevalence of alcohol makes the beer a bit hard to consume when the temperature rises.

---

I am re-reviewing as now I have gained the palate and vocabulary for these type of things.

Poured into Westmalle goblet from 33cl bottle.

A - completly opaque. the body is a dark brown with tinges of red spread throughout. yeast chunkies float through, and down to the bottom of the glass, the head is an off white/ light tan color; the head dissipates quite quickly, not to say this was a gusher, and settles into a nice thin layer overall.

S - smells great of dark ripe fruits, giving off a simple sugar scent; there are notes fermenting apples (if you have ever had the pleasure of walking around an orchard at that time of year you will know), as with some fruits that get really sweet like figs and dates. there is some spice intermingled with alcohol to be had as well. that is what I believe to be the "complex fragrance" as I had commented before

T - a sweet maltiness and alcohol immediately hit the mouth. making an awesome flavor combination. smooth and creamy, the beer is just great. I will agree with my past statement that nothing is abrupt about this brew. there is a definite rum like spice in with the alcohol-fruit taste during the finish, though alcohol with an undertone of the fruit-like malty sweetness dominate the finish. the after taste is a bit grainy, not like a biscuit in the mouth like some beers, but a slight sweetness and grain flavour that is reminiscent of having a piece fo toast with jam.

MF&D - the feel is great except I find it to be a bit too thin. a bit more viscosity would serve her well in my opinion. either way I could drink this all night if I had the option to do so, especially if I were fasting for lent!

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Got this bottle at the liquor barn in louisville yesterday and popped it last night in the hotel room while waiting for the news to come on.

Appearance - deep dark color with alot of freaking head geez.
Typical for belgiums I guess.

Nose. Well excatly what you expect from a very good belgium dark ale. Reminds me of westy 12 and abt 12 on the nose/

The mouthfeel is of spice and plums and raisin. Very freaking smooth

Drinkabilty this is a beer that could hurt someone very easily.

Belgiums are not my favorite style and I could only do one of these but from an abstract review this is a very good beer if you like the typical belgium strong ales.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy dark brown with creamy foam.

Fresh and bright caramel biscuit w. hints of pear and nuts. There is some mocha and cream along with really faint traces of hops.

Medium bodied and refreshing but with a considerable maltiness on the finish. It is light yet rich, not quite syrupy but almost. Very enjoyable beer with many layers of complexity that emerge as the beer warms in the glass.

Nice and soft beer which certainly seduced me.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Purchased from Ladd's in Muskegon and drank from a wine glass.

Look: Hazy dark brown, no light escapes, lots of head
Smell: Like a typical dark Belgian beer. Lots of fruit.
Taste: Brown Sugar! This stands out the most. Others are caramel and other spices. There's no alcohol taste to the beer.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Overall: A solid beer that I could see why it's so sought after. Not my favorite Belgium style. But I think I'll work on this style more.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 330ml slender bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A hard pour gave a huge light tan head. Dark, almost black body with some ruby hues shining through. Really good head retention and decent carbonation.

Smell: Dark and fruity aromas. Theres some sort of overripe funkiness going on in the aroma that I don't quite know how to describe, it's kind of like raw dough, figs and fruit that's turning for the worse but it smells real good and very complex. The 9.2% abv barely makes it's presence known.

Taste: The taste is alot like the smell. To me this has a definite raw bread dough quality. Kinda sour, fairly sweet. Lots of figs and overripe fruits like lemon.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

This was the last in the process of tasting all three of these brews.

Aroma, flavor and body was much the same as the 10 and 6. With a lowerer and smaller alcohol finish. This was a good thing.

The complex flavor and finish generated more character.

The 10, 6 and 8 are very good brews. The 8 is one of my top rated active bottled beers for the Belgian Strong style.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Reviewed 4/23/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a very dark brown colored body with a big tan head. Has an aroma of malts, hops, perfume, dark fruit, and some alcohol. A taste of dark fruits, perfume, strong alcohol, but a smooth aftertaste. Stronger alcohol than the 10.

3.68/5  rDev -15%

I had to look this up to make sure that what I had was truly the 8 Cuvee Special - and it was, the 2007 vintage.

I happened upon this beer from a guy that brought this to a homebrewing session - amazing find as he had bought/bartered this in Belgium.

Poured deep hazed brown with a fantastic head, quite rocky. Some dark raisin and prunes are noted in the aroma with some band-aid, and subtle spice. Flavor is sweet, phenolic - good but not great or world class. Mouthfeel provides a pleasant experience as expected from this Belgian style with a par drinkability. I would assume that locally fresh this would be a bit better.

3.45/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a slightly reddish dark brown with a somewhat soapy/fizzy two inches of beige head. Head settles to a full, thick lace that leaves some patches of stick on the sides, too. Some yeast sediment is evident in the bottom of the glass and in the head, too.

Smell consists of dark fruits and some sweet candi sugar and malt. There are aromas of sweet red grapes, plums, brown sugar, maybe even some rum. The smell is quite nice but it's also on the weak side. Were it stronger it'd probably be a 4.5, but given the prominent booze in the nose it still wouldn't quite be perfect.

Even though the smell was weak, the taste does not live up to it. There is some candi sugar sweetness and nice fruity flavor, but there is also a tannic harshness and a strange dirt/woodsy flavor that doesn't seem to fit. Some grapey flavor, candi sugar, plums and some alcohol in the finish, too. Definitely improves as it warms, but still has the bitter tannins, in particular.

The mouthfeel is much too fizzy and has a wet cardboard sort of quality to it. Medium bodied but really not very smooth or creamy at all. Odd and disappointing.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in this beer. I was really looking forward to trying it but I'm definitely let down. Not very smooth and a bit harsh and rough around the edges. Neither smell nor taste really popped, either. It was ok but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

I'm not convinced that this bottle wasn't kept very well or something, because it just seems a bit off to me. Reading other reviews, however, I see that others have given similar sentiments, so I'm just not sure. I'm going to pick up another bottle next week from another retailer and revisit this review as necessary.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Dark murky brown, some light gets through, nice crown

Smell: Dark bruits - dates, figs, raisins, roast malt, light brown sugar, some spice and alcohol

Taste: Alcohol and malts, I wish it were a little heavier and thicker like the (10), some spiciness. Not enough depth

Mouthfeel: Not as thick, full, silky, or creamy as I had hoped or as it needed to be.

Drinkability: Good, but pales in comparison to the (10) and others of this style; a little on the thin side

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours dark brown colour with nice tan head which dissapeared fairly quickly leaving tons of lace. Smell - malty, bready, touch of caramel, a bit spicy. Alcohol slightly shows up. Taste - easty, bready, malty, very complex and very balanced. Rich, smooth, very delicious brew. It's very drinkable for ABV.
Great stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

A muddy brown color pour with lively carbonation and a two finger offwhite head.Aroma of wine grapes,cherries apples and oaky vanilla.Flavor is dry and fruity at the start,as it warms you get more of the sweet side of the malt,some brown sugar and a touch of peppery spice.A crisp mouthfeel. Very good !

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle, nice turbid and cloudy brown color with a puffy head,. Smells malty, some spice but not much. The taste is unlike almost any other beer I have had, so strange. Gummy, spicy, malts, Dr. Pepper. Quite different but I'm not sure its my thing. The alcohol is well hidden which makes it quite easy to make it through the glass.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

330 ml bottle pours cola brown with a very bubbly white head. You could swear that it was Coke. The head is quite persistent.

Aroma is actually reminiscent of a Scotch ale. It's quite malty and has subtle sweetness. Not at all what I was expecting, but not a bad thing.

The taste is also going against my pre-conceived notion of what a Belgian strong dark ale should taste like. I was expecting something like Maudite, but this is far more subdued. It's pretty malty. In fact, it's really malty It's only vaguely spicy. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden. It's also borderline sweet. Interesting stuff.

Mouthfeel is phenomenal. It's creamy and smooth, but with good carbonation. Nearly perfect in this regard.

If you were to plunk down a glass of TR8 and tell me to have a guess at what the alcohol content is, I would never in a million years suspect this of being 9.2%. Never. This is one of the most deceptive beers I've ever had. The price and the abv keep this sucker from being anything remotely sessionable, but I'll return for one again sometime down the road.

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

A- Foamy one finger head, hazy chesnut body.

S- Complex dried fruits mingled with hints of caramel. Vinous notes and fruity esters are evident as well.

T- Caramel maltyness, dried fruits, spicy yeast character, vinous warming esters, they are all in such wonderful balance.

M- Slight carbonic bit otherwise very smooth.

D- There is a bigger bottle, isn't there?

Man oh man is this stuff great. There's obvious complexity that dares you to decipher it, but you know you're better of just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this beer hyped up before I drank it, so I was expecting the world. Didn't quite get the world, per se, but it's sure as hell a fair sight better than a stick in the eye. Rich brown color with a light tan head. Aroma is sweet with overripe dark fruit and molasses. Flavor is that of figs, allspice, and a hint of what might be juniper soaked in dark, sweet wine (really, that's what I came up with). A wonderful beverage, but I didn't fall out of my seat.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

A: Creamy white 1 1/2 finger head. Reddish-Brown color, and very murky and mysterious. Black speckles of the yeast give it a peppered appearance.

S: Sweet, sugary, malty smell with a hint of vanilla with strong bourbon and alcohol aromas.

T: Sweet at first, then develops the vanilla and bourbon flavors, leaving your mouth bitter. Leaves you craving another drink for a rush of brown sugary sweetness.

M: Chewy but not too filling. really fizzy

Overall, First beer of the night and I'm already feeling the warmth. The alcohol flavors are strong but this beer brought back memories of drinking Jim Beam with a friend a few years ago.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Had this on Christmas evening along with a few others. This is a review from notes.

A - poured a cloudy cherry brown with a thin, off-white cap in my chalice. Continuous bubbles kept the cap there the entire session. No lace. Yeast settles in the chalice after a little while so keep it swirling.

S - aroma was a tad on the light side but there were notes of sweet caramel malts, toffee, hints of figs, prunes, and raisins. A touch of alcohol in the end gives it a somewhat port-like aroma.

T - sweet maltiness in the beginning blended with some concord grape juice, figs, caramel, and port. Finishes bittersweet with a tiny touch of hops (whoa.... hops!) and an alcoholic kick. I also detect some cocoa... complex and excellent.

M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Very smooth but a bit too carbonated for my liking.

D - For such a big beer, highly drinkable. Can definitely do a couple of them in an evening.

Overall - $4.99/bottle of this stuff at Hegedorn's was a STEAL!!! I bought out their entire stock of this and the Rochie 10's when I went. This is my first time having a Rochie 8 and it is absolutely phenomenal! Great tasting, excellent drinkability. The only thing keeping me from giving the smell a perfect score was the fact that it was a bit less pronounced that I expected. The mouthfeel was a bit over carbonated. One of these is most certainly not enough for an evening but I can never bring myself to drink more than one for a special occasion (this occasion was Christmas so of course I had to). Anyway, this is an exceptional beer and should age quite well. I'm looking forward to seeing what a few years will do to this. I believe it pairs well with some aged sharp cheddar or swiss cheese.
A must try for any Belgian beer lover. Simply divine.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort