Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -3%

A: Creamy white 1 1/2 finger head. Reddish-Brown color, and very murky and mysterious. Black speckles of the yeast give it a peppered appearance.

S: Sweet, sugary, malty smell with a hint of vanilla with strong bourbon and alcohol aromas.

T: Sweet at first, then develops the vanilla and bourbon flavors, leaving your mouth bitter. Leaves you craving another drink for a rush of brown sugary sweetness.

M: Chewy but not too filling. really fizzy

Overall, First beer of the night and I'm already feeling the warmth. The alcohol flavors are strong but this beer brought back memories of drinking Jim Beam with a friend a few years ago.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Had this on Christmas evening along with a few others. This is a review from notes.

A - poured a cloudy cherry brown with a thin, off-white cap in my chalice. Continuous bubbles kept the cap there the entire session. No lace. Yeast settles in the chalice after a little while so keep it swirling.

S - aroma was a tad on the light side but there were notes of sweet caramel malts, toffee, hints of figs, prunes, and raisins. A touch of alcohol in the end gives it a somewhat port-like aroma.

T - sweet maltiness in the beginning blended with some concord grape juice, figs, caramel, and port. Finishes bittersweet with a tiny touch of hops (whoa.... hops!) and an alcoholic kick. I also detect some cocoa... complex and excellent.

M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Very smooth but a bit too carbonated for my liking.

D - For such a big beer, highly drinkable. Can definitely do a couple of them in an evening.

Overall - $4.99/bottle of this stuff at Hegedorn's was a STEAL!!! I bought out their entire stock of this and the Rochie 10's when I went. This is my first time having a Rochie 8 and it is absolutely phenomenal! Great tasting, excellent drinkability. The only thing keeping me from giving the smell a perfect score was the fact that it was a bit less pronounced that I expected. The mouthfeel was a bit over carbonated. One of these is most certainly not enough for an evening but I can never bring myself to drink more than one for a special occasion (this occasion was Christmas so of course I had to). Anyway, this is an exceptional beer and should age quite well. I'm looking forward to seeing what a few years will do to this. I believe it pairs well with some aged sharp cheddar or swiss cheese.
A must try for any Belgian beer lover. Simply divine.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle at 52 degrees into a goblet.

Appearance is a muddy reddish brown with a light tan head that overflowed all over the place. Good thing I had my Belgian foam cleanup towel around, since every time I have one it makes a huge mess. As a result there are giant chunks of sediment swimming around having a jolly good time at the expense of my bowels. However, it does leave a nice sheet of lace, so I guess I can forgive it.

The aroma is like the little brother of the 10. Lots of dark fruit character reminding me of raisins and figs. It also has that creamy character almost like lactose, but not at all. Some light milk chocolate notes, and a touch of spiciness as well.

The taste is initially quite sweet with the dark fruit flavors coming through first. That lactose-like flavor comes next, perhaps it's from all the yeast that got poured in. Spiciness comes in next but it's a soft spicy. It blends with the fruitiness and that is transformed into the linger with a bit of earthy hop flavors showing up to crash the party.

Mouthfeel is very nice as usual with Rochefort. Medium in body with a very smooth creaminess with the perfect amount of carbonation. Unfortunately to get this carbonation the glass must overflow though.

I am not as impressed with this as much as the Rochefort 10 though that is expected. When I think of similar beers the Westvleteren 8 definitely tops this. I am going to revisit the 6 sometime soon as well, it's been too long. When it comes down to it, even though this is good, I am always just going to go with the 10.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Pours a ruddy red / brown opaque with small white particles floating about. Had a very sweet flavor as is expected. I'm pretty new at reviewing beer, but I can say with certaintly that my impression of the beer without thinking too much was that its drinkability and balance were its highpoints compared to a lot of other beers that I've had, but I tend to be a bit biased towards certain brews. The only weakpoint I would have to point out is that the small floating particles (which I didn't taste or feel while drinking) is only slightly off-setting in the beginning.

It's a great beer and is definitely on my personal top 5.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Reviewed on 7/17/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown, slightly lighter than the 10, with a frothy light tan head. Aroma of delicious apple, pear, raisin, and yeast. Flavor of apple skins, awesome combination of light fruits, with a full, rich creamy palate. Light alcohol burn but certainly not as boozy as the 10 (which I love, but you've got to be in the mood for boozy). It took me awhile to decide if I liked this better than the 10 - not as flavorfully complex perhaps but I do love those light fruits. The mouthfeel is simply incredible. Almost perfect and my favorite Belgian Strong Ale.
10/5/9/5/20 (4.9/5)

4.33/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a cloudy red-orange-black with particles in the bottom. It has a fluffy off-white head with good endurance. It has a moderately sweet roasted aroma. It's the sweetness of apple, date, and the warmth of black pepper and alcohol. It has a well-balanced sweet-sour-bitter flavor and a rather thick, soft, dry body that leaves a trail of alcohol and a yearning for another bottle of this.
(rated Feb 6, 2007)

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked this up at Greens on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque brown color with a towering three-finger slightly off-white head. The head hangs on for a while, forcing me to pour in intervals, before finally settling down into a thin layer of bubbles on top. Lacing is decent.

Smells of Belgian candy sugar, brown sugar, and spicy malt. There'

Tastes great. Belgian candy sugar up front goes along with brown sugar. There's a grainy maltiness that's joined by a bit of spice. The sweetness subsides a bit as the beer warms. There's a very, very mild amount of bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel is great. This is probably my favorite part of the beer. It's velvety, with a good thickness and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. The flavor profile changes with almost every sip, and it's a lighter Belgian Dark.

Overall I'm glad I revisited this beer, and as I'm drinking the 10 I think I prefer the 8. It's a bit lighter with what I think is better balance. Give this one a try if you haven't already.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served in dogfish head pint glass.

A-Murky brownish color, white head dissipated fairly quickly, really doesn't look so appetizing-kind of like dirty pond water
S-Boozy, raisin/date fruits, brown sugar smell, slight sourdough smell, more like maple syrup as warms
T-Yeast, booze flavor, mild date like fruit, some cocoa and tobacco, low hop present, as it warms mild leather flavor, mild sour as well, very complex and not too sweet like other Strong darks.
M-Fizzes fairly quickly in mouth whih makes some of the flavors hard to taste, Swirled a bit and the carbo died down a little but gets in the way of the flavor during the first half of the beer, medium mouthfeel, fairly drying.
O-I really wanted to enjoy this beer but the overcarbonated feel made hard to taste and not so enjoyable an experience, Underlying flavors are complex but hard to taste for a while. I bet this is fantastic with at least 2 years of age on it.

2.9/5  rDev -33%

Sampled on 12-16-08

Pours a super-cloudy orange/brown, with a thin off-white head that lasts forever. A few yeasty chunks escaped and made it into the glass.

Smell is boozy, very wine-like, lots of fermented fruit and little bit of sour malt. Never-ending, and very complex.

Taste is very yeasty, a little old, and very thin. A bit of roasty malt at first followed by watery, off flavor.

Mouthfeel is super carbonated, fizzes in your mouth. I wonder if this bottle is past its prime.

Drinkability is no good because the flavors are not good.

Overall, very disappointing. I hope it's better the next time I try it.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

High time I reviewed this beer.

The beer pours a murky brown color with sensational head retention and lacing. It doesn't get much better then this. On the nose I get chocolate, brown sugar and maple syrup. The beer smells pretty nice. The flavors on the palate generally replicate the nose, though there's also some cherry and spice as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, though there's a lightness on the palate that I appreciate. Drinkability is pretty amazing; I would never guess the abv. is nearly 10%. If anything, this beer is entirely too easy to drink.

This is a solid beer, no doubt, but IMO there is no comparison between it and it's bigger brother, the Rochefort 10. So while this is a nice enough beer, for an extra buck or two, I'll always go with the 10 if it's available.

3.68/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: Best by date printed as 6/25/13. Pours dark and thick into a snifter; 1 finger of head forms on top and stays there forever, like vanilla icing on a dark chocolate torte.

Smell: Yeast hits strongly on the nose. Faint estery notes, bananas, rising sourdough, with even fainter notes of tropical fruit, like starfruit or jackfruit.

Taste: Strong alcohol first hits the palate. Slight carbonation to begin with, followed by sourdough taste. Almost tastes like Stollen as it's baking: the yeasty flavor has not had time to settle yet, but there are rum-soaked fruits in there. Yeast carries its way through, with the other fruits just slightly rearing their head. Massive carbonation and tingle builds towards the end, followed by a medium alcoholic finish.

Overall: Doesn't taste much like the other Belgian Strong Dark Ales: much stronger yeast, almost yogurt-y flavor more reminiscent of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale or Tripel. This is not quite what I was expecting seeing that it is sometimes compared with a Chimay Bleue or Trois Pistoles. It is a little too thin without any of the sweetness that usually accompanies a dark ale. I feel like this would improve with age; it's a little too tart right now.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

11.2 oz bottle. Cloudy brown pour into a Chimay chalice with a fantastic frothy large tan head. Great even lacing with yeast particles suspended in the glass. Aroma of plums, yeast and raisins. Full taste with caramel, yeast, malt, and dark fruit present. Nice even but full finish.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 11,2oz bottle into a snifter

A_Beautiful opaque dark mahogany color. Very thick three fingered tan head that dissipates to a one fingered steady cap

S_Like fresh dark real maple syrup, sweet. Semi-sweet chocolate

T_Alcohol is definitely present, very warming, very dark maple syrup taste, chocolate covered coffee beans. Emmen-Thalen swiss cheese fondu. Aftertaste is very much like dark cough syrup.

M_Overall starts off very mellow but ends up a little bit medicinal. Dances on the pallet with decent carbonation considering this dark ale's ABV. Doesn't coat the mouth as much as I thought it would

D_This one is a sipper. The taste isn't very prohibitive but the ABV and the slight medicinal taste is. I don't think I would go for another soon. I will buy it again eventually though

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Similar to taste as 10 but less alcohol (9.2%) vs (11.3%). Note: the 6,8,10 are all the same beer just varying starting OG.

A: The beer poured a dark mahogany with a thin frothy beige head that left a thin film lacing.

S: The nose was dark fruits, raisins, figs with a big bready presence and a dark brown sugar sweetness.

T: The flavor started out sweet and creamy, with dried fruit, bread, rich chocolate and a dark caramel sweetness. Some figs, dates and cinnamon are also detected. A great complexity of dark fruit and dark sugar sweetness blends together for a rich and vibrant drink. Finishes with a nice creamy caramel fade, and citrus peel. Very deep and rich. An excellent example overall.

M: medium, creamy, with a strong carbonation tingle with dried caramel lacing the tongue.

D: As with their other beers very good drinkability and a rare treat if you find it. A rich lustrious desert drink.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a Chimay glass, actually I thought I had a Rochefort glass, but I couldn't find it. Consume date is 2013, I have to buy another bottle to to age, it sure will get better. Dense and creamy brown head that to my surprise faded too soon, with a lot of floaties. Hazy brown colour. Aroma: cocoa, figs, raisins, barrel aged wine, plums, vanilla. Mouthfeel is just warmness, like a brandy. Taste:complex, its different with every sip, figs, apricots, cocoa, vanilla. Hard to say everything that goes on in this beer.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Yum. Pours brown with some floaties and an awesome thick off-white head. Aroma is stacked with malts, fruits, and some alcohol. Creamy mouthfeel. Taste is mostly darker fruits, malts, and some earthiness, but everything is subdued and in balance. Sweet and warm.

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

This 33cl was served to me in a martini glass, which I'm hoping was the precursor for this lackluster review.

Body was a rich maple syrup brown, with a nice fluffy head which eventually settled to a suddy film. The aroma for me was very faint - which I'm hoping was due to the glassware. Hints were primarily on the sweet malty side.

The taste, though complex, just didn't appeal to me. I got notes of sweet candy, alcohol, and a nuttyness I felt was out of place. The finish also brought in some grassy hops, which I felt to be quite stale. Brew had a medium body feel, and was quite sticky.

ehhh... Underwhelmed. I loved the 10 - and with this having better reviews, I think it's ultimately one I'll have to revisit.

4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a dark chocolate brown color with a thin beige, foamy head. Roasted malty aroma with hints of chocolate, toffee and dark fruit. Flavor once again dominated by roasted maltiness, chocolate, toast, caramel, toffee raisin, dark cherries and fig. Extremely quaffable, excellent beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Poured into a chalice. Nice, small, loose head. Incredible retention. Near opaque brown.

S: Deep and malty sweet with some yeasty acidity. Definite raisin and some plum.

T: The raisin aroma carries over into the flavor immensely. The flavor is there throughout, paired with the round malt sweetness. Interestingly, the flavor ends on the tip of the tongue.

M: Fills the mouth, but isn't actually full in any real way. Might be the least impressive part of this beer.

D: Complex and worth the money. Might be slightly overrated.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured to a murky brown color with a thin tannish head that lingered thru mid glass and left okay lacing. Aroma is dark fruit overwhelmed by alcohol as the beer warmed. Taste was a semi-sweet malty dark fruit, again with a lot of alcohol, whcih carried over into the finish as well.

This was a good quality beer, but the alcohol was a little too dominant for my liking in a beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a reddish brown color, fairly dense. Looks a beautiful ruby red when held to the light. Bubbly white head that fades to a fairly long lasting covering of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

Smell is fairly mild, spices and dark fruit. Taste is dark fruit, cherries, figs, and raisins. Alcohol presence is there, but as a warming effect, not a harsh taste. There is a little sweetness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is rich. The alcohol presence is mild and the result is a nice, smooth slow sipper. Drinkability is good for this level abv. A nice winter treat. Something to savor.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

A: A mix between a dark-brown and reddish color with a abundant amount of head.

S: Strong dark fruit aroma that is perhaps a mixture of plum and raisin.

T: It is hard to pick up the minute flavors at first, but it has a strong spicy finish. Again, I'm not sure what to say about the taste other then dark fruits consisting of a grape, plum, and raisins.

M: Good...a carbonated wine.

D: Very impressed...9.2% is very well hidden. Good job guys!

Overall: I would probably order or purshase this beer if I was in the mood for it, but other then that...nothing too crazy. A good beer that should be enjoyed at least once by every BA. A try it beer.

4.72/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my inaugural pour for my new Chimay goblet, not exactly the fanciest of goblets but my first. I will admit that the beer looked much better than Belgians usually do in my tulip glass. This is somewhat off-topic, but I wasn't a believer in glassware until now. At any rate, this beer pours a beautifully dusky brown with a calm head. It's a nearly idyllic looking in the goblet. The beer looks substantive and earthy, like something that would be drunk at great feasts. The nose is wonderfully Belgian. There is some alcohol presence, which mostly serves the complex smells of fruits and malt. The taste is a highly refined caramel with an array of bitter and sweet fruits. It's a wonderful beer that deserves its reputation. It's certainly a heavyweight even in a style this competitive. The feel is lush and velvety, and I could chew on this beer all night.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

this is a bottle i got in a bif, this one is aged about three years, poured into my duvel tulip glass, poured out loking like the brown watter in a mud puddle, this had a head that wouldent quit rise and linger for awhile, the sent that hits my nose is sour and full bodied with hints of strong grain, the taste is a sweet and sour exploshian of malt and a smooth rush of alchoal at the end, this is malty from start to finish and qoes down quickley, after i drank this i was buzzed and wanted more to bad i only had the one thanks coldmeat23

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a hazy deep amber to a brown-ish color, with a off white head. In the aroma, dark fruit, mostly fig, touch of sugar and alcohol. In the taste, darkk fruit, fig, sugary, licorice, and a small alcohol heat behind the whole thing. A smooth and medium to big mouthfeel, with a semi dry sugary, dark fruit in the aftertaste. Quite complex, dark fruit and alcohol, yet not huge. Smooth and fantastic.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort