Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Pours a thick head into my chalice, the head is coloured off-white/cream. The body is a dark ruddy-brown that is opaque, letting in a hint of light at the bottom, where the yeast is once again settling.

S - a ripe and fruity scent is intermingled with an incredibly complex fragrance.

T - a very smooth alcohol taste that is complemented by the creamy head, the malts also come easily to the palate. Nothing is abrupt about this brew; the subtle combination of so many slight flavours is enticing and elusive. But again, the alcohol taste is made impressively smooth.

MF&D - smooth, with a very crisp carbonation. Though, the prevalence of alcohol makes the beer a bit hard to consume when the temperature rises.

---

I am re-reviewing as now I have gained the palate and vocabulary for these type of things.

Poured into Westmalle goblet from 33cl bottle.

A - completly opaque. the body is a dark brown with tinges of red spread throughout. yeast chunkies float through, and down to the bottom of the glass, the head is an off white/ light tan color; the head dissipates quite quickly, not to say this was a gusher, and settles into a nice thin layer overall.

S - smells great of dark ripe fruits, giving off a simple sugar scent; there are notes fermenting apples (if you have ever had the pleasure of walking around an orchard at that time of year you will know), as with some fruits that get really sweet like figs and dates. there is some spice intermingled with alcohol to be had as well. that is what I believe to be the "complex fragrance" as I had commented before

T - a sweet maltiness and alcohol immediately hit the mouth. making an awesome flavor combination. smooth and creamy, the beer is just great. I will agree with my past statement that nothing is abrupt about this brew. there is a definite rum like spice in with the alcohol-fruit taste during the finish, though alcohol with an undertone of the fruit-like malty sweetness dominate the finish. the after taste is a bit grainy, not like a biscuit in the mouth like some beers, but a slight sweetness and grain flavour that is reminiscent of having a piece fo toast with jam.

MF&D - the feel is great except I find it to be a bit too thin. a bit more viscosity would serve her well in my opinion. either way I could drink this all night if I had the option to do so, especially if I were fasting for lent!

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this bottle at the liquor barn in louisville yesterday and popped it last night in the hotel room while waiting for the news to come on.

Appearance - deep dark color with alot of freaking head geez.
Typical for belgiums I guess.

Nose. Well excatly what you expect from a very good belgium dark ale. Reminds me of westy 12 and abt 12 on the nose/

The mouthfeel is of spice and plums and raisin. Very freaking smooth

Drinkabilty this is a beer that could hurt someone very easily.

Belgiums are not my favorite style and I could only do one of these but from an abstract review this is a very good beer if you like the typical belgium strong ales.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a hazy dark brown with creamy foam.

Fresh and bright caramel biscuit w. hints of pear and nuts. There is some mocha and cream along with really faint traces of hops.

Medium bodied and refreshing but with a considerable maltiness on the finish. It is light yet rich, not quite syrupy but almost. Very enjoyable beer with many layers of complexity that emerge as the beer warms in the glass.

Nice and soft beer which certainly seduced me.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Purchased from Ladd's in Muskegon and drank from a wine glass.

Look: Hazy dark brown, no light escapes, lots of head
Smell: Like a typical dark Belgian beer. Lots of fruit.
Taste: Brown Sugar! This stands out the most. Others are caramel and other spices. There's no alcohol taste to the beer.
Mouthfeel: Very smooth

Overall: A solid beer that I could see why it's so sought after. Not my favorite Belgium style. But I think I'll work on this style more.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 330ml slender bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A hard pour gave a huge light tan head. Dark, almost black body with some ruby hues shining through. Really good head retention and decent carbonation.

Smell: Dark and fruity aromas. Theres some sort of overripe funkiness going on in the aroma that I don't quite know how to describe, it's kind of like raw dough, figs and fruit that's turning for the worse but it smells real good and very complex. The 9.2% abv barely makes it's presence known.

Taste: The taste is alot like the smell. To me this has a definite raw bread dough quality. Kinda sour, fairly sweet. Lots of figs and overripe fruits like lemon.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

This was the last in the process of tasting all three of these brews.

Aroma, flavor and body was much the same as the 10 and 6. With a lowerer and smaller alcohol finish. This was a good thing.

The complex flavor and finish generated more character.

The 10, 6 and 8 are very good brews. The 8 is one of my top rated active bottled beers for the Belgian Strong style.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

Reviewed 4/23/2006 (330mL bottle):

Pours a very dark brown colored body with a big tan head. Has an aroma of malts, hops, perfume, dark fruit, and some alcohol. A taste of dark fruits, perfume, strong alcohol, but a smooth aftertaste. Stronger alcohol than the 10.

3.64/5  rDev -15.7%

I had to look this up to make sure that what I had was truly the 8 Cuvee Special - and it was, the 2007 vintage.

I happened upon this beer from a guy that brought this to a homebrewing session - amazing find as he had bought/bartered this in Belgium.

Poured deep hazed brown with a fantastic head, quite rocky. Some dark raisin and prunes are noted in the aroma with some band-aid, and subtle spice. Flavor is sweet, phenolic - good but not great or world class. Mouthfeel provides a pleasant experience as expected from this Belgian style with a par drinkability. I would assume that locally fresh this would be a bit better.

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a slightly reddish dark brown with a somewhat soapy/fizzy two inches of beige head. Head settles to a full, thick lace that leaves some patches of stick on the sides, too. Some yeast sediment is evident in the bottom of the glass and in the head, too.

Smell consists of dark fruits and some sweet candi sugar and malt. There are aromas of sweet red grapes, plums, brown sugar, maybe even some rum. The smell is quite nice but it's also on the weak side. Were it stronger it'd probably be a 4.5, but given the prominent booze in the nose it still wouldn't quite be perfect.

Even though the smell was weak, the taste does not live up to it. There is some candi sugar sweetness and nice fruity flavor, but there is also a tannic harshness and a strange dirt/woodsy flavor that doesn't seem to fit. Some grapey flavor, candi sugar, plums and some alcohol in the finish, too. Definitely improves as it warms, but still has the bitter tannins, in particular.

The mouthfeel is much too fizzy and has a wet cardboard sort of quality to it. Medium bodied but really not very smooth or creamy at all. Odd and disappointing.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in this beer. I was really looking forward to trying it but I'm definitely let down. Not very smooth and a bit harsh and rough around the edges. Neither smell nor taste really popped, either. It was ok but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

I'm not convinced that this bottle wasn't kept very well or something, because it just seems a bit off to me. Reading other reviews, however, I see that others have given similar sentiments, so I'm just not sure. I'm going to pick up another bottle next week from another retailer and revisit this review as necessary.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Dark murky brown, some light gets through, nice crown

Smell: Dark bruits - dates, figs, raisins, roast malt, light brown sugar, some spice and alcohol

Taste: Alcohol and malts, I wish it were a little heavier and thicker like the (10), some spiciness. Not enough depth

Mouthfeel: Not as thick, full, silky, or creamy as I had hoped or as it needed to be.

Drinkability: Good, but pales in comparison to the (10) and others of this style; a little on the thin side

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours dark brown colour with nice tan head which dissapeared fairly quickly leaving tons of lace. Smell - malty, bready, touch of caramel, a bit spicy. Alcohol slightly shows up. Taste - easty, bready, malty, very complex and very balanced. Rich, smooth, very delicious brew. It's very drinkable for ABV.
Great stuff.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

A muddy brown color pour with lively carbonation and a two finger offwhite head.Aroma of wine grapes,cherries apples and oaky vanilla.Flavor is dry and fruity at the start,as it warms you get more of the sweet side of the malt,some brown sugar and a touch of peppery spice.A crisp mouthfeel. Very good !

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle, nice turbid and cloudy brown color with a puffy head,. Smells malty, some spice but not much. The taste is unlike almost any other beer I have had, so strange. Gummy, spicy, malts, Dr. Pepper. Quite different but I'm not sure its my thing. The alcohol is well hidden which makes it quite easy to make it through the glass.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

330 ml bottle pours cola brown with a very bubbly white head. You could swear that it was Coke. The head is quite persistent.

Aroma is actually reminiscent of a Scotch ale. It's quite malty and has subtle sweetness. Not at all what I was expecting, but not a bad thing.

The taste is also going against my pre-conceived notion of what a Belgian strong dark ale should taste like. I was expecting something like Maudite, but this is far more subdued. It's pretty malty. In fact, it's really malty It's only vaguely spicy. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden. It's also borderline sweet. Interesting stuff.

Mouthfeel is phenomenal. It's creamy and smooth, but with good carbonation. Nearly perfect in this regard.

If you were to plunk down a glass of TR8 and tell me to have a guess at what the alcohol content is, I would never in a million years suspect this of being 9.2%. Never. This is one of the most deceptive beers I've ever had. The price and the abv keep this sucker from being anything remotely sessionable, but I'll return for one again sometime down the road.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Foamy one finger head, hazy chesnut body.

S- Complex dried fruits mingled with hints of caramel. Vinous notes and fruity esters are evident as well.

T- Caramel maltyness, dried fruits, spicy yeast character, vinous warming esters, they are all in such wonderful balance.

M- Slight carbonic bit otherwise very smooth.

D- There is a bigger bottle, isn't there?

Man oh man is this stuff great. There's obvious complexity that dares you to decipher it, but you know you're better of just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Had this beer hyped up before I drank it, so I was expecting the world. Didn't quite get the world, per se, but it's sure as hell a fair sight better than a stick in the eye. Rich brown color with a light tan head. Aroma is sweet with overripe dark fruit and molasses. Flavor is that of figs, allspice, and a hint of what might be juniper soaked in dark, sweet wine (really, that's what I came up with). A wonderful beverage, but I didn't fall out of my seat.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Creamy white 1 1/2 finger head. Reddish-Brown color, and very murky and mysterious. Black speckles of the yeast give it a peppered appearance.

S: Sweet, sugary, malty smell with a hint of vanilla with strong bourbon and alcohol aromas.

T: Sweet at first, then develops the vanilla and bourbon flavors, leaving your mouth bitter. Leaves you craving another drink for a rush of brown sugary sweetness.

M: Chewy but not too filling. really fizzy

Overall, First beer of the night and I'm already feeling the warmth. The alcohol flavors are strong but this beer brought back memories of drinking Jim Beam with a friend a few years ago.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Had this on Christmas evening along with a few others. This is a review from notes.

A - poured a cloudy cherry brown with a thin, off-white cap in my chalice. Continuous bubbles kept the cap there the entire session. No lace. Yeast settles in the chalice after a little while so keep it swirling.

S - aroma was a tad on the light side but there were notes of sweet caramel malts, toffee, hints of figs, prunes, and raisins. A touch of alcohol in the end gives it a somewhat port-like aroma.

T - sweet maltiness in the beginning blended with some concord grape juice, figs, caramel, and port. Finishes bittersweet with a tiny touch of hops (whoa.... hops!) and an alcoholic kick. I also detect some cocoa... complex and excellent.

M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Very smooth but a bit too carbonated for my liking.

D - For such a big beer, highly drinkable. Can definitely do a couple of them in an evening.

Overall - $4.99/bottle of this stuff at Hegedorn's was a STEAL!!! I bought out their entire stock of this and the Rochie 10's when I went. This is my first time having a Rochie 8 and it is absolutely phenomenal! Great tasting, excellent drinkability. The only thing keeping me from giving the smell a perfect score was the fact that it was a bit less pronounced that I expected. The mouthfeel was a bit over carbonated. One of these is most certainly not enough for an evening but I can never bring myself to drink more than one for a special occasion (this occasion was Christmas so of course I had to). Anyway, this is an exceptional beer and should age quite well. I'm looking forward to seeing what a few years will do to this. I believe it pairs well with some aged sharp cheddar or swiss cheese.
A must try for any Belgian beer lover. Simply divine.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle at 52 degrees into a goblet.

Appearance is a muddy reddish brown with a light tan head that overflowed all over the place. Good thing I had my Belgian foam cleanup towel around, since every time I have one it makes a huge mess. As a result there are giant chunks of sediment swimming around having a jolly good time at the expense of my bowels. However, it does leave a nice sheet of lace, so I guess I can forgive it.

The aroma is like the little brother of the 10. Lots of dark fruit character reminding me of raisins and figs. It also has that creamy character almost like lactose, but not at all. Some light milk chocolate notes, and a touch of spiciness as well.

The taste is initially quite sweet with the dark fruit flavors coming through first. That lactose-like flavor comes next, perhaps it's from all the yeast that got poured in. Spiciness comes in next but it's a soft spicy. It blends with the fruitiness and that is transformed into the linger with a bit of earthy hop flavors showing up to crash the party.

Mouthfeel is very nice as usual with Rochefort. Medium in body with a very smooth creaminess with the perfect amount of carbonation. Unfortunately to get this carbonation the glass must overflow though.

I am not as impressed with this as much as the Rochefort 10 though that is expected. When I think of similar beers the Westvleteren 8 definitely tops this. I am going to revisit the 6 sometime soon as well, it's been too long. When it comes down to it, even though this is good, I am always just going to go with the 10.

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a ruddy red / brown opaque with small white particles floating about. Had a very sweet flavor as is expected. I'm pretty new at reviewing beer, but I can say with certaintly that my impression of the beer without thinking too much was that its drinkability and balance were its highpoints compared to a lot of other beers that I've had, but I tend to be a bit biased towards certain brews. The only weakpoint I would have to point out is that the small floating particles (which I didn't taste or feel while drinking) is only slightly off-setting in the beginning.

It's a great beer and is definitely on my personal top 5.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Reviewed on 7/17/08. Bottle. Pours a cloudy brown, slightly lighter than the 10, with a frothy light tan head. Aroma of delicious apple, pear, raisin, and yeast. Flavor of apple skins, awesome combination of light fruits, with a full, rich creamy palate. Light alcohol burn but certainly not as boozy as the 10 (which I love, but you've got to be in the mood for boozy). It took me awhile to decide if I liked this better than the 10 - not as flavorfully complex perhaps but I do love those light fruits. The mouthfeel is simply incredible. Almost perfect and my favorite Belgian Strong Ale.
10/5/9/5/20 (4.9/5)

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer is a cloudy red-orange-black with particles in the bottom. It has a fluffy off-white head with good endurance. It has a moderately sweet roasted aroma. It's the sweetness of apple, date, and the warmth of black pepper and alcohol. It has a well-balanced sweet-sour-bitter flavor and a rather thick, soft, dry body that leaves a trail of alcohol and a yearning for another bottle of this.
(rated Feb 6, 2007)

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked this up at Greens on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque brown color with a towering three-finger slightly off-white head. The head hangs on for a while, forcing me to pour in intervals, before finally settling down into a thin layer of bubbles on top. Lacing is decent.

Smells of Belgian candy sugar, brown sugar, and spicy malt. There'

Tastes great. Belgian candy sugar up front goes along with brown sugar. There's a grainy maltiness that's joined by a bit of spice. The sweetness subsides a bit as the beer warms. There's a very, very mild amount of bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel is great. This is probably my favorite part of the beer. It's velvety, with a good thickness and grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. The flavor profile changes with almost every sip, and it's a lighter Belgian Dark.

Overall I'm glad I revisited this beer, and as I'm drinking the 10 I think I prefer the 8. It's a bit lighter with what I think is better balance. Give this one a try if you haven't already.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served in dogfish head pint glass.

A-Murky brownish color, white head dissipated fairly quickly, really doesn't look so appetizing-kind of like dirty pond water
S-Boozy, raisin/date fruits, brown sugar smell, slight sourdough smell, more like maple syrup as warms
T-Yeast, booze flavor, mild date like fruit, some cocoa and tobacco, low hop present, as it warms mild leather flavor, mild sour as well, very complex and not too sweet like other Strong darks.
M-Fizzes fairly quickly in mouth whih makes some of the flavors hard to taste, Swirled a bit and the carbo died down a little but gets in the way of the flavor during the first half of the beer, medium mouthfeel, fairly drying.
O-I really wanted to enjoy this beer but the overcarbonated feel made hard to taste and not so enjoyable an experience, Underlying flavors are complex but hard to taste for a while. I bet this is fantastic with at least 2 years of age on it.

3.02/5  rDev -30.1%

Sampled on 12-16-08

Pours a super-cloudy orange/brown, with a thin off-white head that lasts forever. A few yeasty chunks escaped and made it into the glass.

Smell is boozy, very wine-like, lots of fermented fruit and little bit of sour malt. Never-ending, and very complex.

Taste is very yeasty, a little old, and very thin. A bit of roasty malt at first followed by watery, off flavor.

Mouthfeel is super carbonated, fizzes in your mouth. I wonder if this bottle is past its prime.

Drinkability is no good because the flavors are not good.

Overall, very disappointing. I hope it's better the next time I try it.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort