Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Reddish-orange in color with a large, foamy head. The head dropped after a while, but thick lacing all the way. Bits of yeast slide out at the end.

Great scents, citrusy grapefruit combined with dark fruits. Hints of alcohol, honey and vanilla, but all fairly subtle. Well-blended, it took me a lot of effort to pull out scents, but wonderful nonetheless.

The taste in incredible. All of the citrus and dark fruit I smelled. Lemons, grapefruit, raisins, plums, dates, caramel, molasses, vanilla, ginger, brown sugar, honey and such a soft alcohol and hops presence that wipes the palate for the next sip.

Highly carbonated, but also very smooth and light bodied, which I usually don't like so much, but this is amazing. Highly, highly drinkable.

dogger6253, Mar 25, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 33ml bottle into my 70s era Westamalle chalice, the Rochefort 8 is murky brown with a 1 finger tan head that has fairly large bubbles and leaves moderate lace. I like the color and cloudiness, but I'd like to see smaller bubbles with a rockier head. My benchmark here is St. Bernardus 12, which looks much better.
The aroma is very rich but not that strong, malt, spicy yeast that touches on cinnamon and nutmeg, and fairly boozy. Of course, as it warms, it opens up, getting richer and sweeter.
The taste is richer then the aroma, toffee and toasted malts dominate the spiciness of the yeast, with a boozy finish that is mildly sweet yet clean. There are also notes of banana and clove, reminiscent of a dunkleweizen, though only one of many layers here. Still, there's a bit to much bitterness from the husk tannins, which distracts me from the deep character. I don't recall these being much of an issue with the 12, which of course is much richer. Overall, it is a bit more abrasive then some of the benchmarks of the style.
The mouthfeel is moderate, lighter then one might expect from it's appearance and ABV, with only a few streamers ripping through the glass, and a bit of texture from the soft yeast, which I purposely swirl up from the bottle for the last 1/2 inch, no decanting for me!
The drinkability on this is not the highest amongst the Trappists. There is a lot of dept to unlock, but I find the roastiness to be a bit much, and overall the taste is not so great that I just can't get enough. After this, I'm going to have to revisit the the 12, which I've always considered perhaps my favorite beer (and have had both in Europe and the US), because this was a bit of a let down. Good, but not fantastic, although I don't think I've had the 8 before, and preceded it with a pair of Westmalle tripel's, so perhaps I raised the bar to high. I just prefer to drink different beers in order of least to more robust taste, which is why I had this last.

ccrida, Mar 25, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

A - Poured a little too quickly and had to wait about 5 minutes for the head to subside. A good sign! Wonderfully dark with excellent, virtually permanent head.

S - Incredibly complex, dark fruits mostly but got many competing aromas.

T - Superb with the expected complexity from the smell. Very malty with fruits and spices. There is a lot going on here. Exhilirating! Slight but very pleasant hoppiness as an aftertaste.

M - Put simply, like silk on the tongue and mouth. This is one hell of a beer.

D - Very much so but a killer kick in the alcohol which is actually very easy to forget.

One of the very best trappists and that is saying something.

Stephen63, Mar 20, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

Nice large and creamy head, with a cool lacing effect. Pale dark reddish colour. Smells of pepper, chocolate and a sweet smell of caramel. Low on carbonation. Tastes of different types of malt. Medium bodied with some fruity flavors on finish. Heavy on aftertaste, with some alcochol mouthfeel. A very bitter ale.

As other fellow BA member said, I think expected more from this beer. Not bad though.

sewald, Mar 12, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a tulip glass. This is dark brown with hints of ruby. I got a huge light tan head that left lacing all the way down the glass as I drank. I actually had to stop pouring and pour the rest after the initial head settled a bit.

Smells deeply of bready malt, plump prunes, winter spice, and some alcohol. The taste is about the same with a long dry alcohol finish. There is some nice spiciness from the hops in this strong ale.

This is surprising light bodied, with not much noticeable carbonation other than the huge head to start with.

My first commercial example of the style, and while not disappointed I will say that I expected a little more.

ZimZamZoom, Mar 11, 2007

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Westmalle goblet. Bottle was dated/coded 230310. The body was a dull, light mahogany/prune juice color. Head was minimal due to the gentle pour. A creamy modest cap remained throughout the drink.

Smell was spicy and fruity. Figs and plums.

Taste was of alcohol and sweet dark fruits. ETOH burned in the throat (mild). Zucchini bread. Grain-like.

Mouthfeel was full and zesty.

Cresant, Mar 10, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a tulip glass a murky strawberry coloration, with a huge white head that faded quickly enough into a significantly smaller, appealing looking head with great retention. Smell was somewhat on the boozy side, with lots of ripe fruit flavors, and honey. Taste was very pepperyat first, but faded away into huge malty fruit flavors. Hops are minimal, but the carbonation is somewhat high. It turns foamy initially when it hits the palate, but calms down quickly. Quite an interesting beer. One was not enough. Cheers

jamie2dope, Mar 09, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a Westmalle chalice, at cellar temperature.

A: Poured an enormous billowy head that compacts but does not dissipate. The lacing is more like a heavy coating along the side of the chalice. Dark ruby in the chalice, with very active carbonation. Clear (I was careful about leaving yeast behind). A simply gorgeous beer.

S: A powerful but balanced aroma of clove, pepper, and ripe fruit (plum?) is immediately present. With a little contemplation, some fig or raisin notes are noticeable as well. Outstanding.

T: Plum, fig and malt predominate. There is a boozy, warm core. On the finish I notice a mustiness that is a little hard to describe, but that is very appealing. There is a slight cleansing sour note at the very end. This beer seems well structured and put together.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Perhaps a tad spritzy.

D: I feel like I could drink several, despite its alcoholic strength and the power of its flavors. I suspect that after three or so, one would begin to experience some palette fatigue.

Overall: This is one of the best Trappists I've had, and is an excellent example, maybe an archetype, of a dubbel or a dark strong. You have to look pretty hard to find any flaws. Don't drink it too cold; colder temps mute the wonderful nose and muddy up the taste.

MCDuhamel, Mar 08, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Deep mahogany, elegant but relaxed bubble rise. Rich, foamy white head.
Plum /raisin aroma; full and deep with a bready background.
Smooth plum/bread flavor, immediately expands across the tongue and through the nose. Mile alcohol follow through. Perfect.
Medium mouthfeel, coats the tongue without being too thick. The flavors linger and expand in a subtle way.
The delicious flavors without excessive sweetness makes this very drinkable. I can't imagine ever turning one down.

bgraney, Mar 05, 2007
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from the bottle into a belgian beer chalice. Appears dirty brown in color with orange tint where the light shines through. Good, two-finger head, but man is this beer uber-carbonated. Excellent head retention, but not much lace to speak of, which is interesting because I would have expected lace from this beer. Crazy bubbles. Rich, fruity aroma. Smells like a malty fruit salad. Oooh, this is a delicious beer too. Really fruity. Dark fruits with some mild spices (maybe some nutmeg in there?). Malty, with slight hints of pepper and smoke in the finish. Tasty stuff, this Rochefort 8. The carbonation ovewhelms the mouthfeel, but it does settle down after it sits for a while. Might be a good one to cellar for a while and let it mellow out. A highly drinkable brew here. Those crafty Trappist monks have done a fine job here.

Atlas1, Mar 04, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 33cl bottle with best by date of Feb 2011. Had a murky darkish brown color. Had a smallish head that went away in a blink of an eye. No foam or lacing. The smell was fruity, spicy and alcohol in equal parts. It was weak at first but grew as it warmed. Mouthfeel was good with a nice mix of creamy and carb. Taste was really good but I'm having a hard time nailing down why but who cares as long as it is good. Overall a really tasty brew, even the wife liked it, that well deserves it's rep and ranking. That said, it would only be an occasional beer for me as I like to spread the Belgian Strongs out over time. Highly recommend. (4.0, RB, T, Y)

TexIndy, Mar 02, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Best by 8.30.11... poured into a chalice.

Deep ruby brown with dark orange highlights. Half glass worth of light cocoa colored rocky foam.... absolutely perfect.

Smells much more fresh and hoppy than I would have though... I would have thought it would have been a dark, musty, malty aroma.... certainly not. There is a bit of fig in there along with some light mint... very interesting. As the brew warms, some of the yeastiness becomes more apparent. I quite like the aroma, but it is certainly not consistent with the style in my mind. I think it would improve vastly with a couple of years of age.

Definitely seems a little young to me... some bubblegum, some fig... still seems a bit tight and fresh on the tongue.

Way too much carbonation... as I have already said, this will certainly get better with age. Good thickness... but all in all, very mediocre in this area.

Too much carbonation, but still pretty drinkable for a brew of this magnitude. All in all, very glad I bought two of these so I could cellar one of them... I'll let you know in a year how this brew is intended to taste.

nickss, Feb 28, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

With Sigur Ros " Viarar Vel Til Loftarasa " on the Hi-Fi and some golf on the tube I thought I would pour Rochefort 8 into my chalice . As my hobby /quest goes on I am trying to pour the brews in the proper glassware . Freshness date was 10 . 05 . 07:52 . Poured to a beautiful dark brown color . Looking at it , the brown color turns I lighter hue as you stare into it . I just can't stop looking at it . Hopefully this brew taste as good as the music . The head is there but reduces as I still stare at it . Tasting this is divine . Chocolate / Nutty flavor and candy . Crunchie bar flavor comes to mind . Now the ABV is high , there is no burn but , my cheeks are turning red . The glow is here . I have some 10's around too . Will they taste like this ? My my . This brew is as good as the music . Rochefort is a joy to drink . Putting this off due to everyone reviewing this was a mistake . I will buy this again . Now if my reviewing skills were as good as this beer ...Can't wait to reviews the 10 & 6 ..

Kudashov, Feb 26, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Trappistes Rochefort 8
11.2 oz brown bottle
080311 - 07:50
Served in a Chimay goblet

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a puffy head on top.

Whiffs of blended malts with a touch of prunes and figs.

Ultra soft mouthfeel with a prickly carbonation underneath. Flavors are complex with hints of caramel, dark fruits and cinnamon spice. Respectable hop snap on the finish.

Extremely well crafted and a gem of a Trappist ale. So enjoyable and fulfilling. Phenomenal drinkability level. Recommended.

Hibernator, Feb 25, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

11.2 oz bottle.

Pours a slightly murky caramel brown color, though I managed to keep most of the yeast chunks in the bottle. Very light tan head a couple fingers thick with the careful pour. After quickly subsiding by half, the rest of this head aint goin' anywhere. It sticks to the side, but there is not a lot of lacing - the head just sort of silkily slides down the glass en masse as I enjoy this brew.

Nose is fruity and boozy. Currant and orange come to mind. Less prune/berry/cherry than the 6. An undefined spiciness too.

Taste is quite complex, but I immediately note that the alcohol isn't overpresent despite the %. There is some warming in the mouth/throat by mid glass, but it never detracts from the great flavors. Everything I smelled is present here, plus maybe some apple and vanilla. Nice breadiness in the malt profile too, and quite a bit of brown sugar. Spices linger into the aftertaste, and flavor as a whole improved as it warms.

Initial carbonation is higher than I would like, and masks some of the silkiness of this beer. It improved from OK to very good by the bottom of the glass. Just a bit lower on the initial carbonation and I think this is in my personal top 10.

Ya gotta be sober enough to pour carefully, it is powerful ABV-wise, and can be expensive...so I'll have to leave it just short of a 5 for drinkability.

udubdawg, Feb 23, 2007

Pourde a cloudy chocolate with a nice head and very good lacing. Smell was a nice blend of raisins, bisuits and light hops. I was hoping for more on the tatse level, considering its ratings. However, it was above averag, but not outstanding. Taste was brandy-like with amalt and molasses elements...slight hop presence also. Mouthfeel and drinkability were good with dryness and slight bitterness being the main components.

edchicma, Feb 22, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

11.2oz bottle (330ml) into snifter.

Hazy maroon color with a light tan fizzy cap that slowly settles to a bubbly cap. On the second pour, the head was thicker and frothier, settling at about the same rate. The lacing is stringy and spotty.

Sweet and thick estery fruity notes with some warming alcohol in the background. Very sugary.

Fruit flavors such as cherry and strawberry dominate the palate, with some light grain in the background giving a cake like presence. A little bit of nut finds its way in as well, increasing more as more yeast sediment is added. Mild spicy phenolic notes come in toward the end. Very light hop bitterness comes in here and there. Medium bodied with high carbonation, giving a poppy-fizzy feel. The alcohol shows up in the finish, but it isn't anything overpowering. Hints of coffee is in the finish.

A good malty beer with a little bit of phenolic kick that doesn't ruin the beer. This beer gives the tongue a challenge with the high complexity from the array of flavors. As any other Trappist ale, it's recommended.

BeerSox, Feb 21, 2007

Received this one for Christmas in a gift pack with a Rochefort chalice. Thin, 330 ml brown bottle, green cap with an 8 on it.
Pours out a deep brown, large dark tan head. Foam shrinks down to a 2 finger thick cap, left thin, but steady amount of lacing. Aroma of dark, sweet malt, raisins and prunes. Lots of flavor, like dates, fruitcake. Nice warming alcohol fills your mouth. Dark malt, almost a bit smokey, woody, almost scotch-like. The mouthfeel is full, but not as heavy as expected.
A pretty solid example, but really need to do a side-by-side tasting. Very good on its own, but tough to rank against some other classics.

BigBry, Feb 20, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 33 cl brown bottle into a Belgian-style chalice.

Brown color with cloudiness. Lots of sediment. Good head retention.

Smell is of dark fruit, plum, molasses, and brown sugar.

Bready and burnt malt taste. Fruity candy flavor fades to an alcohol warmth in the finish.

A nice complex Belgian ale.

adowney523, Feb 20, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

Taken from my 52F cellar. Best before12.05.09

Pours a slightly hazed brownish orange - exactly like the color of 'sugar babies' (you know, the candy). A fine off-white 1" head settles down to a mere 1/8". Very minimal visible carbonation. Globs of thick sticky lace all the way down.

I could smell this the instant I took the first pry of the cap. A remarkable concoction of smells; gummy dark fruit misted with bourbon. Ginger and molasses. A touch of vanilla crème.

A unique spiciness hits my palate right off the bat. It reminds me of Hendricks Gin (infused with cucumber), but it stops right there, as there are no pine flavors. It's teasing me, beckoning me. A stony mineral cleanness surfaces so I may detect dark figs and charred wood & charcoal. Dry spicy long and warm flavorful finish.

Mouthfeel is spectacular. Fine airy carbonation (moderate level) keeps the full body bouncy and kinetic.

Drinkability is very good. I swear I need to drink a few more of these to figure out all the spicy flavors.

Overall a unique and world class Trappist ale. Dry, spicy and bold, but altogether smooth. Warming and soothing. Restoring. Very good.

malty, Feb 19, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice, auburn/brown color with some cloudiness from the yeast. Big, tan, creamy head with good retention. Lots of tiny bubbles of carbonation.

Fruity, yeasty and sweet aroma. Complex and gets maltier as it warms and a little spicier/hoppier. Taste is malt, fruity yeast and a little alcohol. Finishes a little nutty and spicy with a touch of hops. Very good.

Medium bodied. Hides alcohol fairly well, though it gives it a nice warming effect and a bit of flavor.

AaronHomoya, Feb 18, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Ap: Cloudy ruby red/brown with thick head of tight laced bubbles. Head recedes to thin layer which dissipates moments after pouring. Vigourous carbonation throughout the glass.

Ar: Earthy fruits - dates, raisins, prunes. Alcohol notes present. Slight dark wheat - pumpernickel aroma.

Ta: Sharp & rich with earthy fruits. ABV definitely noticeable. Slight candied fruit flavor from yeast strain. Blends nicely with alcohol notes.

Mo: Effervescent. The high carbonation helps offset the high ABV. Medium bodied. Carbonation also lends crips finish.

Dr: This is a slow sipper due to the high ABV. It is welcome though in order to really savor its flavor complexities.

Comments: Another in the list of trappist beers has lived up to its hype. Delicious, albeit strong. This is not one to take lightly. Let it warm up to room temp, let it sit on your palette & express itself.

JMD71, Feb 16, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours an opaque dark rust brown with a really unique full finger head of small uniform bubbles. There was no coaxing this one. The head fades quickly to surface, but is quite active.

The aroma is unique; a sweet cherry syrup, dark fruits, and molasses.

The mouth feel mirrors the tiny effervescent nature of the head and there are high notes from the hop. I find that level of carbonation distracting.

The flavor has high notes of a citrus fruit but that characteristic is offset by the effect from the sweet smell of molasses. Thank you Sam-the-Beer-Man for the opportunity to try this one!!!

jjayjaye, Feb 13, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a deep, dense reddish-brown with a modest head that dissipates quickly.

Smell of sweet malt and molasses, with a wisp of dates in there.

Taste is delicious, great malty taste with complexity. Very well balanced with the alcohol noticeable in the finish.

Mouthfeel is exceptional as well, nice carbonation, just a joy to drink.

Drinkabilty great as well, again find myself wanting more.

techdiver, Feb 10, 2007
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice looking brownish beer, with a relatively poor head (perhaps served too cold) that leaves some lacing.
Smell is just great - powerful sugary malts, molasses, honey, some hops, alcohol.
Taste is also powerful, with a heavy, sweet malt, fruity esters, and a cleansing, warming alcohol at the end.
Velvety mouthfeel, very heavy and sweet, I cannot have more than one at a time, but this one is very satisfying.

brdc, Feb 10, 2007