Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

11.2oz bottle purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp. NJ. Drank from a Chimay chalice.

A: Opaque brown body. 1 finger of light tan head. Head had long hang time and was very clingy.

S: Sweet and malty, caramel and tofffe. Some breadiness, yeast and alcohol. A very faint hint of hops.

T: Sweet malty beginning with hints of dark fruit. Gives way to some yeasty spiciness and very faint hops. Warm alcohol in the finsh.

M: Medium body. Crisp and tingly.

D: A very complex beer. One to sip and take in all it has to offer.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Leathery brown ale with a tan head that rises thick above the beer. Clingy head sticks to the sides of the glass and leaves fantastic lacing. One of the prettiest brews I've ever seen.

Smell is slightly fruity sweet. Green apples with a dark candied caramelized sugar backbone. Very smooth and mouth watering.

Taste is a rich warm biscuity malt. Sweet caramel and fine sugar candies mixed with apple flavor bubblegum. Crisp and bubbly mouthfeel makes the beer feel light and creamy on the palate. The aftertaste has a great hop bite and a nice spiciness with a complementary warmth.

Easy to drink, flavorful and unique. Very complex and a lot of great features. One of the best Belgians I've ever had.

a: deep maroon with very slight columns of bubbles and a frothy off-white head that coats the top of the glass and leaves light lace

s: strong grain with light fruits; some light alcohol and caramel; dust

t: tart fruits; strong grain; red wine; banana bread; light alcohol; dark toffee malts; yeasty bitterness

m: smooth light carb

d: i have had this beer before a couple of times and remember it as being a little bit more fruity but it is still quite good

4.72/5  rDev +9%

In talking with my pal Zoran about heady beers, especially those from Belgium, this one was recommended by him as being his favorite. He brought over one for me to sample and review, so here we go.

Pours thick leaving a very frothy one inch head with great retention. A lot of sediment and adjunct sank to the bottom and some are sticking around in the head as well. Scary at first for me, but later I am calmed by the great mouthfeel and drinkability of this one. Highly carbonated. Opaque dark and smooth caramel appearance. Thick lacing.

Smell is quite complex. Sweet malts balance with spicy floral hops for a uniquely pleasant experience. Hints of raisins. At first the alcohol was not present in the nose, but upon finishing about 3/4 of it, the alcohol smell is starting to come through.

Taste is so silky and smooth with many of the characteristics already noted in the nose. The mouthfeel on this one is perhaps the most pleasant I have ever experienced. Perfectly carbonated. Almost scary how easy this one is to drink considering the high ABV.

Superb brew.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

11.2 oz bottle, bought at the PCC co-op, served in a large red wine glass. Tasted paired with Chimay washed-rind cheese (great pairing, btw).

A beautiful pour, with gigantic off-white head over a deep brown, slightly cloudy beer. Head went down a bit, but never less than a quarter inch on top, regenerating after I swirled for aroma. Moderate lacing on the glass.

It being allergy season, I'm not totally reliabile on aroma, but definite complex malt notes, some fruit, and maybe just a bit of barnyard.

Complex flavor, with lots of nutty malt accompanied by dark dried fruit flavors, more prune-fig than rasin.

The mouth is paradoxically crisp yet full. If I'm reading the label right this bottle is actually a few years old, but it is still a little bit hot. This doesn't, however, hurt the overall experience too much.

Finish is long and complex, with the fig and prune flavors emerging and evolving as it goes on.

Overall, one of the best glasses of beer I've tasted -- one of those beers that leaves you with an overall sense of well-being when you're done, more than can be attributed to the 9% ABV alone. This is my first actual trappist beer, and it has me seriously wondering how people drink something this epiphanic and then go on with their everyday life. I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to brush my teeth tonight.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

The bottle opened with a fizz and it sounded like pouring coke. Med-dark brown, hazy, garnet highlights. 1/2 finger head with dense off white bubbles. Intense fruit on the nose. mandarine & lemons, nothing like the caramel bananas I remember from last time. Malt aromas are poking through but it's mandarine all the way for me. Incredibly complex taste, malty, toasty, fruity, melanoidiny with a good boozy kick in the arse. Bitterness is superbly balanced. wow, this beer is an epiphany. This is almost as good as when I first tasted rochy 10 in amsterdam. I didn't think it could be this good. One of my all time greatest beer experiences.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured Coca-Cola brown with about 1 cm of medium tan head. Appears a bit cloudy. Not sure if this is normal for the style. Seems to be unfiltered with quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so no loss of points on appearance for the cloudiness. Not much detectable aroma for me. Maybe a hint of hops? Fairly balanced taste, with maybe a little more malt than hops. A bit of alcohol warming going down. Nice flavor. Hard to find anything I don't like about the flavor of this one. Medium/high carbonation, medium body. VERY drinkable, but with the high ABV I doubt I could drink many of them.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice

Pours a murky, deep brown with a thick, one-finger head that has awesome staying power and leaves rings of lacing down my glass.

Strong alcohol presence dominates the nose. Smell is of sweet malts, belgian yeast, raisins, nuts and dark fruit esters.

Big time malt and yeast flavor with a sweet finish. There is a roasted nut, raisin and an earthy spice. Has all the flavors you would expect and in good balance. Just nothing overly fantastic.

Typical belgian carbonation, medium body. Leave a sweet coating all over your mouth.

Not the easiest, but definitely better than average.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Aroma - Malt sweetness. Nutty, estery (rasin, plum) with a pronounced yeast aroma. The aroma is not very strong. I'm having trouble picking out specifics in the aroma with this beer. As the beer warms a bit I get more of the alcohol aroma, and a hint of dark sugar.

Appearance - Dark brown with red highlights. Pours with very slight haze and a 1/2 finger light tan head. Good head retention.

Flavor - A little malt sweetness with a high presence of alcohol. The raisin and dark sugar carry through. Again the yeast is a prominent note in this beer. Much to my disappointment the alcohol is a very dominating flavor. Looking under the alcohol, the malt and yeast are very nice flavors. I only wish the alcohol was less apparent.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. High carbonation. Well balanced between bitter and sweet. Some alcohol on the swallow.

Overall Impression - This beer was a bit of a disappointment for me. Even for a beer at 9% ABV I am quite surprised at the amount of alcohol in the flavor because there is little detected in the aroma, and mouthfeel. Being able to tolerate hot beers this is drinkable, but I would only buy again once in a great while. This beer doesn't have the wonderful
complexities that I've come to know and love from Rochefort. As noted from another review, the yeast spice and the alcohol doesn't really work for me.

2.8/5  rDev -35.3%

A. Dark brown- almost black. A thin large head forms and quickly dies down to a thin covering. Very thin head.

S. It had a darker sweet smell. Perhaps a rasin/plum type deal with some sugar/molasses. Not a strong smell but certainly a lot going on here.

M. Slightly thicker than the 6. Not a creamy or thick beer though. The carbonation is somewhat thin but "bubbly" feeling on the tongue. The more I drink the more the body seem to mostly be carbonation.

T. Sweet almost sour. Some raisins and a nice spicy kind of mix similar to the 6.

D. A lot of flavor here, but the spicy flavor with the alcohol really doesn't work completely. It doesn't demand a desire to drink more and more.

Of the 3 Rochefort's this is by far the most interesting. This is certainly a beer that's worth trying. The cost is way too high and ultimately it isn't something I'll buy again.

Smell: sweet and somewhat "smooth" smell; dried fruits, some almonds, some spices (almost like Orval?).

Taste: sweet taste of dried fruits (raisin, plum), almonds and sugar, and figs as well. Some bitterness, but this beer has a soft and smooth character, except for the alcohol.

This is great stuff, but the alcohol is a bit annoying.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Consumed 06/23/08.

Pours a deep, cloudy brown into a Triple Petrus tulip glass. A three finger, light tan head forms and slowly reduces to a thin layer of foam. Plenty of carbonation; bubbles stream up constantly.

Aroma is sweet: molasses and dark, pitted fruits. A woody note as well - oak, maybe?
Reminds me a little of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum as well.

Thick and chewy in the mouth with mild tingling of carbonation on the tongue. Finishes a little wet, making the palate ready for the next sip.

Flavor is fairly subtle and nuanced. Must concentrate to pick out the flavors from the overall mix.

Banana rum bread with raisins comes to mind. Spicy: cloves and black pepper also present.

Alcohol very well hidden in this beer, making it crazy easy to drink.

Not one of my favorites, but I admire how well-made this is.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Alright, the appearance is pretty standard BSDA - dark, with an off white head. I've had a number of these in the past few days and they all look very similar.

The aroma is absolute heaven. Loads of spice (slightly peppery and sweet), fruit (plums, maybe cherries as well?), and the slightest touch of alcohol. The spice character is perhaps the strongest I've ever noticed in a dark Belgian like this, in which fruit is, in my experience, usually dominant. It's top notch.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma. The slightly sweet, slightly sour fruit character that I love about so many Belgian darks is present up front, but it's immediately overcome by spice. The 9.2% ABV is noted on the finish, but it's well integrated and not harsh or fusel-like. A little rumlike, perhaps. I tend to associate this combination of alcohol, spice, and sweetness with good rum. I could personally use a little more balance here, as the fruit character is, to me, too overpowered by the yeasty spice. However, it's hard to lay too much fault a beer this flavorful.

All in all, I could use a slightly more full body for a beer of this potency, but it is still quite smooth and relatively easy drinking. This isn't quite a sipper, but don't guzzle it either. A delightful brew!

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Very cloudy brown color, with a finger or so of off-white head. Decent retention; falls to thick off-white collar. Excellent lacing.

S - Tons of caramel and bread with a definite butterscotch element. Vanilla and wood mingle with the noticable alcohol.

T - Sweet vanilla and caramel hit first, with a dark banana bread backbone. Taste begins drying out quickly mid palate with noticable alcohol. A bit of hop earthiness pulls through near the finish, with a fairly intense bitterness.

M - Somewhat highly carbonated, and a medium/light mouthfeel. More body and less carbonation would make this better for me.

D - I wouldn't ever have more than one at a time. It's not all that intense; it's decent enough, but something about this brew is unbalanced. I much prefer Rochefort 10.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

330ml bottle bought at Malt and Vine in Redmond, WA

A: deep mahogany color with a slight orange hue typical of the style. visible fizzyness, very slightly viscous when pouring. HUGE creamy off white tan head, almost 3 fingers worth! Head sticks to the side almost immediately leaving intricate sticky lacing.

S: very malty but with a noticeable hop balance. minimal alcoholic presence, and somewhat phenolic. Nice mix of spices and sweet dark fruit.

T: this is incredibly malty. aftertaste is very sweet. it's complimented by a slight bitterness from the hops, but still feels overwhelmingly sweet. I also detect a roasted nutty essence. earthy and spicy and somewhat vinous but mostly malty.

M: smooth, refreshing, a very slight chewiness about it, but all around a great beer.

D: dangerously drinkable, this is like fizzy grown up juice.

Overall impressions: I was really looking forward to this beer, but after having a Unibroue Maudite, it just doesn't quite stack up. Don't get me wrong this is a GREAT beer, but if we're rating it and comparing it to others in the same style, Maudite is the clear winner.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Given the reviews here, I'm wondering if I ended up with an older bottle. Plus, I'm new to the hardcore Trappist brews, so I may be missing some of the nuance with said beers. Nonetheless, here goes.

Served in a 330ml bottle, cap already opened by the waitstaff. Poured into a red wine glass (shame on them for not having a proper goblet).

Decent tan head, but I immediately noticed both a dark sediment poured into the bottom of the glass and lighter sediment floating through the beer itself. A second look at the bottle showed some discoloration on the label. I didn't think to look at the expiry/bottling date, but the appearance struck me that this one was sitting around for some time. A dark sediment remained at the bottom of the bottle, and the homebrewer in me thought for a moment of trying to scrape it out and use the yeast in another beer. But that's too much damn work.

The appearance was mitigated by the beer's amazing smell. Sweet bread, some fruit and spice notes, absolutely enticing. I let the beer settle down a bit before sipping, hoping the sediments would fall to the bottom.

At least to my untrained tastebuds, the beer was fabulous. Warm, malty flavors with hints of banana and clove, followed by a warming alcohol that wasn't overpowering but rather complimentary. Coated the mouth perfectly and was eminently drinkable, though I took my time to let the sediment settle after each sip.

So...again, I don't think the sediment was indicative of the style (I've had American-made Belgian dubbles, tripels and others before), and I definitely plan to get another fresher bottle as soon as possible. But that said, I'm quite impressed regardless. And it went amazingly well with the tender roast beef au jus I had for lunch. I imagine it would go down well with just about any decadent meal.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

11.2oz green capped bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Popped the cap on this one and it bubbled up and over the top of the bottle almost immediately. When poured into the glass it has the appearance of cloudy cola with a quarter inch of tan and sandy brown loosely bubbly head that fades into a cap rather quickly. Maybe it was a result of the initial bubble over but I was hoping for more than this in the looks department.

S: Luckily the smell redeems the appearance because it is absolutely wonderful. Rich ripe fruits rolled in clove and a sweet kind of spiciness. These are the first things that greet the nose, apple, sweet rum raisin, and bold caramel are the most predominately featured aromas and it really has got me going crazy about thinking how this one is going to taste.

T/MF: Rich and buttery with an incredibly lively carbonation that creates and intense flavor profile and mouthfeel. Super rich and sweet malts ripple over the tongue as the intensely bubbly liquid coats the entire mouth top to bottom. This beer is delicious and it feels almost criminal to try and describe the flavor because I don't think I can come at all close to what I am experiencing. Super ripe apple mixed with clove and caramel and sweet rum drenched raisins is as close I feel I am ever going to get. Phenols just a bit too high for my taste and what keeps it from getting a higher score, but everything else is just fantastic.

D: A good sipper, alcohol is well hidden so as not to cloud the overall flavor of this beer. One is all that I would want to have because this beer is as rich as any I've ever tried.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted in a brandy snifter. Pours deep brown and copper in color with a 2 finger head with good retention. The aromas are intense and complex; big on clovey honey, brown sugar, and figs. A very nice floral element with notes of hibiscus and violates. As it warms notes of chocolate, fried plantains, bread, and toffee start to emerge.

The complex aromas carry over to the taste beautifully. Nice refined carbonation and big full body. It hits the front of the mouth with sweet figs, brown sugar, and bread. Then it moves on to delicate floral flavors in the middle and finishes with a little pepper with very nice balance. It leaves a pleasant after taste that leaves you wanting more.

I got equally as excited when I tasted this beer as I did the first time I tasted it two years ago. This is truly one of the best beers in the world. Now if I could just find some more 10...

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark brown with a nice one inch of tan head after a gentle pour. Retention was excellant with plenty of lacing.

The smell is subdued but I detect some candy sugar, dark fruit, and cloves. Alcohol is not detected.

The sweet malt comes through in the taste. It is combined with a dark fruit and spice flavors to make a great tasting beer. Just a little alcohol warming during consumption.

Medium body but the carbonation seems to be a little harsh if you try to rest the beer on the tongue.

I prefer this to Rochefort 10. The alcohol is little more subtle but it is still high and limits drinkability. Very expensive and hard to find in my area as well.

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Dark brown with a huge head.

Smells delicious, fruits and spices.

Taste is full of spices (clove, cinnamon) and fruits (apple) as well as caramel. Alcohol warming in the finish. Fairly complex, though I still found the 10 more to my liking.

Mouthfeel good, coats the mouth nicely.

Can't go wrong with this one, but I wasn't blown away like I was the 10.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours dark brown with a thick, lasting one finger head. Aroma of toffe, chocolate, dark fruits, and yeast. Extremely complex beer with notes of vanilla, toffee, and chocolate. Has a strong vineous quality. This beer has a lot going one. Very smooth finish. Exceptional beer.

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bought a case to share with friends, from one of the importers here in beijing.

330ml brown bottle poured into tulip. "best by" date of 051212 (5th of dec, 2012 - ie, bottled five years before: 5th of dec, 2007)

bottle is a gusher however... (more on this later)

translucent amber brown, decent head fades to thin layer, but with somewhat minimal lacing.

scent is faintly medicinal with spice note. yeast hint. something is "off" however... hints of vinegar and funk... makes me wonder if this case wasn't stored properly in the warehouse.

flavor has woody notes, again some spices and a heavily caramelized malt note, with a moderate bitterness, but overall the taste also seems "off" again, with a sour funkiness that collides with the bitterness in the finish...

not too thin, but definitely OVER-carbonated. again, maybe a bad batch?

hmm... will have to secure a different batch for comparison. will do so ASAP.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

had this at my local spot last night during a short session trying some of the belgians on their list that I hadnt tried or had forgotten. Holy cow did this one stand out!

The smell was a little subdued at first but it was served a little too cold. Once it warmed it really opened up. The taste was incredibly complex with Belgian sweetness weaving in and out of a host of other flavors

Typically, the high ABV would temper my drinkability rating but honestly, this stuff was so drinkable that its dangerous.

A true revelation for me I will be coming back to this one again and again.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a dark brown with bubbly clean white head. Very large bubbles. Moderate lacing.

S - Dark fruit sweetness. Maybe some raisins? Also a hint of alcohol.

T - Sweet malts and alcohol. Has a nice little spice to it as well. Caramel and plums in the taste. Very flavorful brew.

M/D - A little on the thin side but a full flaovred very dinkable brew.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

11.2oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a chalice.

A: Pours a dark brown with sunset ruby hues when backlit. Monstrous off white head forms tight and holds quite awhile. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Pleasantly sweet malts, caramelly with a bit of buttery richness. Alcohol is subdued.

T/M: A decent spicy yeast kick with some pepper and earthy, crusty dark bread. Sweetness a lighter than expected, lending just a touch of caramel that tastes a little held back by a growing alcohol line. The alcohol is tasty and leans toward the rye side. Body is just above medium with lively enough carbonation, yet a pleasant smoothness on the back end.

D: Overall, not as strong of a taste as I would have though, but enjoyable nonetheless. 9.2% is gonna make this less drinkable but it goes down easy enough.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort