Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,653 | Reviews: 1,810
4.79/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted in a brandy snifter. Pours deep brown and copper in color with a 2 finger head with good retention. The aromas are intense and complex; big on clovey honey, brown sugar, and figs. A very nice floral element with notes of hibiscus and violates. As it warms notes of chocolate, fried plantains, bread, and toffee start to emerge.

The complex aromas carry over to the taste beautifully. Nice refined carbonation and big full body. It hits the front of the mouth with sweet figs, brown sugar, and bread. Then it moves on to delicate floral flavors in the middle and finishes with a little pepper with very nice balance. It leaves a pleasant after taste that leaves you wanting more.

I got equally as excited when I tasted this beer as I did the first time I tasted it two years ago. This is truly one of the best beers in the world. Now if I could just find some more 10...

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a dark brown with a nice one inch of tan head after a gentle pour. Retention was excellant with plenty of lacing.

The smell is subdued but I detect some candy sugar, dark fruit, and cloves. Alcohol is not detected.

The sweet malt comes through in the taste. It is combined with a dark fruit and spice flavors to make a great tasting beer. Just a little alcohol warming during consumption.

Medium body but the carbonation seems to be a little harsh if you try to rest the beer on the tongue.

I prefer this to Rochefort 10. The alcohol is little more subtle but it is still high and limits drinkability. Very expensive and hard to find in my area as well.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Dark brown with a huge head.

Smells delicious, fruits and spices.

Taste is full of spices (clove, cinnamon) and fruits (apple) as well as caramel. Alcohol warming in the finish. Fairly complex, though I still found the 10 more to my liking.

Mouthfeel good, coats the mouth nicely.

Can't go wrong with this one, but I wasn't blown away like I was the 10.

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours dark brown with a thick, lasting one finger head. Aroma of toffe, chocolate, dark fruits, and yeast. Extremely complex beer with notes of vanilla, toffee, and chocolate. Has a strong vineous quality. This beer has a lot going one. Very smooth finish. Exceptional beer.

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bought a case to share with friends, from one of the importers here in beijing.

330ml brown bottle poured into tulip. "best by" date of 051212 (5th of dec, 2012 - ie, bottled five years before: 5th of dec, 2007)

bottle is a gusher however... (more on this later)

translucent amber brown, decent head fades to thin layer, but with somewhat minimal lacing.

scent is faintly medicinal with spice note. yeast hint. something is "off" however... hints of vinegar and funk... makes me wonder if this case wasn't stored properly in the warehouse.

flavor has woody notes, again some spices and a heavily caramelized malt note, with a moderate bitterness, but overall the taste also seems "off" again, with a sour funkiness that collides with the bitterness in the finish...

not too thin, but definitely OVER-carbonated. again, maybe a bad batch?

hmm... will have to secure a different batch for comparison. will do so ASAP.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

had this at my local spot last night during a short session trying some of the belgians on their list that I hadnt tried or had forgotten. Holy cow did this one stand out!

The smell was a little subdued at first but it was served a little too cold. Once it warmed it really opened up. The taste was incredibly complex with Belgian sweetness weaving in and out of a host of other flavors

Typically, the high ABV would temper my drinkability rating but honestly, this stuff was so drinkable that its dangerous.

A true revelation for me I will be coming back to this one again and again.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a dark brown with bubbly clean white head. Very large bubbles. Moderate lacing.

S - Dark fruit sweetness. Maybe some raisins? Also a hint of alcohol.

T - Sweet malts and alcohol. Has a nice little spice to it as well. Caramel and plums in the taste. Very flavorful brew.

M/D - A little on the thin side but a full flaovred very dinkable brew.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

11.2oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a chalice.

A: Pours a dark brown with sunset ruby hues when backlit. Monstrous off white head forms tight and holds quite awhile. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Pleasantly sweet malts, caramelly with a bit of buttery richness. Alcohol is subdued.

T/M: A decent spicy yeast kick with some pepper and earthy, crusty dark bread. Sweetness a lighter than expected, lending just a touch of caramel that tastes a little held back by a growing alcohol line. The alcohol is tasty and leans toward the rye side. Body is just above medium with lively enough carbonation, yet a pleasant smoothness on the back end.

D: Overall, not as strong of a taste as I would have though, but enjoyable nonetheless. 9.2% is gonna make this less drinkable but it goes down easy enough.

4.76/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a Rochefort goblet (damn sexy glass) drank over the course of 20 minutes so it warmed from fridge temp to perfection. Complex flavor through out. If there was ever a reason to become a monk this would be it. I am a Beer Advocate and I advocate this beer with 2 hearty thumbs up!

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%

Nice dark brown (a little clear) pour into a rochefort goblet. The head is somewhat thin, but stays through the whole experience.
OK, before you all shoot me about the aroma, I was a little scared when I got to this point of the beer, I could pick few little things out, but almost my entire nose picked up a scotch aroma (I am not a fan of scotch), the aroma balances out better when drinking the beer.
Taste was a very nice suprise after the scare, this thing has a nice spicy flavor to it (cinnamon, clove), but what I really liked is the touch of chocolate that comes through.
Mouthfeel is a little thin, but smooth and very nice, this is a beer I wouldn't mind sitting down and enjoying on occation, but there are more I will go for first.

Glad I was able to try it.

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; opaque reddish brown with no light passing through, little retention and lacing, mud like yeast at the bottom after some settling; I find this a beautiful sight.

Smell: Sweet, dark and fruity rum with clove-like hint and just a little alcohol sneaking in.

Mouthfeel: Huge chewy feel with no carbonation, just a little tingly spice on the tongue, earthy feel at the bottom from that yeast.

Taste: Utter smoothness, fruity and spicy malt goodness. This just get better and better as the yeast to beer ratio increases. I pity the poor fools drinking pasteurized beer right now.

Drinkability: Smooth beyond belief, complex and changing as you drink it, well worth the ~$5 a 330ml bottle.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours deep Ruby brown with a rich,foamy head with a surviving half inch lace. The aroma is of dark fruits,chocolate,plums,grapes and malts. The taste is chocolaty,sweet,earthy,malty,fruity and phenolic. The alcohol is there and yet it is so well masked.The mild spices are so well balanced with the complex taste. So complex,so rich!
The overall feel is creamy,rich,great carbonation,crisp,smooth,bubbly and some mild bitterness in the finish. The stinging alcohol is not too overwhelming yet it lets you know -RESPECT ME,I AM HERE!
Seriously, So complex and special.

Notes: I do not buy into hype,but this is another example of why Belgium is so unique in the beer world. The brew is memorable in every sense of the word. Expensive,but worth it.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been in a "Belgian" mood lately. My buddy recommended the Rochefort 10, but all the store had was the 8. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

The slender bottle unleashes a beautiful brown ale with carbonation all over the place. The brew fits nicely into my Flat Earth goblet. A tremendous fluffy off-white head crowns this brew. It lasts forever. I let the beer sit for about 20 min to warm up and the head is still an inch and fluffy. The next perception is the wonderful aromas present. You do get a faint aroma of alcohol, but this quickly mixes with brown sugar and a indicipherable fruitiness. The fruitiness is complex and I can't quite put my finger on the fruits present, but they are sure nice. There is a bit of spiciness present as well.

The flavors are an extension of the aromas. A light alcohol taste hits you initially. This is followed by the soft sweet taste of the malts. I taste dark sugars and fruitiness reminiscent of raisens. There is some mild spiciness from the hops and a slight yeastiness. Very complex flavors, many of which that I cannot even begin to pinpoint. The important thing is that they all blend together in the taste to give you a malty sweetness, followed by a mild fruitiness and ending w/ a soft spicy note. The mouthfeel is spot on with a medium body and a smooth finish. This beer just belongs in the mouth.

Definitely a "wow" beer. This is another reason why Belgium is the Disneyland of beer. THe number 8 shows us how complex beer can be. I would definitely like to enjoy another, however $5.50 for one beer is a bit steep for me. I will have to pick it up again some other time however. I would say this is a definite "must-have" for any beer lover.

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

A- Pour was busy, lots of head formation.

S- Very strong and fruity.

T- Fruit notes, such as pear, and I'm getting a earthy taste the more I drink it with a nice spicy alcohol aftertaste. I don't know if my tongue is just asleep or what, but I find the beer not quite as exciting as I would have thought. I was expecting something a little more fruity in flavor.

M- Very bubbly in your mouth.

D- It is for sure a Belgian style brew.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

A- A deep amber color with some cloudy brown to boot. The head is a thin white, but has some excellent retention due to the massive amount of carbonation.

S- Loads of bubble gum with some light fruit, caramel, a little potpourri, and a little alcohol on the tail end. Very complex and enjoyable and unlike anything I have smelled before.

T- Some caramel, earthiness, alcohol, fruit, flowers, a little bit of a vegetable aspect. Again, very complex and unlike anything I have ever had before. It took a little getting used to, but once my palate adjusted and the more I got into it, the more I realized I was tasting greatness.

M- Very light in the mouth due to the high amount of carbonation. Also, the aftertaste was very dry. But, everything seemed to work decently well with this to keep all the flavors alive and to keep things from becoming muddled.

D- The alcohol level is high and noticeable, but it was not harsh in any manner. This is a very interesting beer and well worth a purchase. I am really impressed, but not completely blown away.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

330ml bottle
9.2% ABV

I tried this beer on December 28, 2007 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a dark brown with a huge generous brown head that lasted and lasted. The aroma was very yeasty with some dark fruits and spices. The mouthfeel was full bodied with some mild carbonation. The flavour was very malty followed by some yeasty tones. A very good beer, but not as good as the '10'

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a goblet (this is my new goblet's maiden voyage).

A = Cloudy dark caramel/amber color. Two fingers of tan/white head, that goes down to a solid 1/8th inch head.

S = Lots of malty sweetness; chocolate; caramel; dark cherries; and a hint of alcohol. Truly wonderful smell.

T = Apples, some figs, a bit yeasty (in a lemony/acidic sort of way if that makes any sense), and pretty malty. More like the smell (see above) as it warms. Nice, soft hop bitterness and a little taste of alcohol in the finish. A bit of dark fruit in the aftertaste.

M = Very smooth. Medium body. Medium to high carbonation, but it doesn't "attack" or overwhelm the tongue.

D = Very nice. I like other Belgians a bit more, but this was very enjoyable. Great for when you're hankering for a quality, malty beer.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: It pours a dark chestnut brown color. It's full of haze and chunks of sediment roaming the glass. Head is very active, about a finger and a half deep, and slightly off-white in color. It receded very quickly and leaves a thin film of lace that lines the glass.

Smell: Up front, it has a strong sour, slightly acidic aroma. It mellows a little and allows dark fruit fragrances (plum and prune) to emerge. It's sweet and very malty smelling. There's a hint of lemon and banana present. Belgian yeastiness is prevalent toward the end.

Taste: It's very consistent with the smell. Initially, it's very malty and sweet. It is sour and a bit acidic. The sour flavor mixes well with the dark fruit, lemon, and banana flavors. It creates an nice, complex flavor. There's a light spicy taste that's well done and adds to the complexity. It is yeasty and just little bread-like. Alcohol is ever so slightly noticeable as it goes down.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Carbonation is high and very active. It's pretty typical for the style and I've grown very fond of that characteristic. It's got a nice, smooth feel, but it's a little short of excellent. Drinkability is very good. It's strong, but goes down very easy for a beer of its strength.

Rochefort 8 is damn good beer. It's not quite as good as 10, but it's far from a slouch. The acidic taste is just a tad too much for my taste. It's not bad or offensive, but it could be toned down a little. All in all, this a fine beer. Certainly one to seek out.

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a ruby red and brown with a nice thick creamy tan head than takes its time dying down and coats my Westvelteren glass.

Smells a bit of that tangy Belgian aroma. Taste hits with a pleasing complexity. There's an intense heavy maltiness that weighs down the aftertaste. The alcohol also hits hard in the finish. The light sweetness at the beginning is much more delicate an nuanced.

Every sip is a little different than the lsat. I suppose the complexity is what makes these beers so great.

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

Deep mahogony in color with a medium-thick head of medium-sized off-white bubbles. There were aromas of raisins, chocolate, orange pulp, plum and dark caramel. There is a lot of carbonation in the mouth keeping this very light and fresh. The flavors remain on the "dark side", similar to the nose but lack a bit of concentration. I love the 10, but this just feels like a watered down version, which should be expected but leaves me wanting more.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

L050912-08:06 stamp date on bottle. Poured into a snifter at close to 50F. The color was that of brown sugar dissolved in water with a 3 finger creamy caramel head which dissipated down to a thick 1/8" coating over the ale. The smell is of dark cane sugars & molasses w/ no real hint of the sneaky 9.2% ABV. The taste of this particular bottle was outstanding! I've had this several times before, but I wanted to reacquaint myself with this nectar-and I'm glad I did! Nothing in my previous notes cames close to capturing how this one tastes. Mouthfeel was surprisingly light and mellow considering the complexity; and still, no real signs of the alcohol punch this packs. I could drink 3-4 of these any time in one sitting easily-I think I will enjoy another right now.
without having the luxury of experiencing the Wesvleterens, this is the top of my list for Belgian strong darks!...so far.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance is a reddish brown with an off white thick head that leaves a sheet of lace. Smell of milk chocolate, prunes and spice. Taste has dark molasses and fruits, spice, brown sugar. Mouthfeel is a smooth creamy medium with a good hit of carbonation, nice combo. A very good complex brew that I could just sit with and enjoy.

4.07/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a Rochefort chalice. The color was mahogany brown, and there was a decent sized but thin head. Carbonation was certainly noticeable in the head. The smell was amazing, full of fig and sugar aromas. The taste was just as good, with notes of maple, cinnamon, orange, and pears present. A nice combination of sweetness and fruitiness. This beer was a bit thinner in the body than I would have expected, which is the only negative I could possibly mention. This is easily one of the best Trappist beers available in the US market.

3.62/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a bottle of this into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark brown body with a thick, white head with decent retention and lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: A nice, sweet malty smell with hints of citrus in the undertones.

T: A sweet, malty taste with a robust, sweet aftertaste. Hints of burnt caramel and toffee lend a hand in developing that sweet aftertaste.

M: Pretty smooth, but seemed slightly overcarbonated.

D: A good combination of mouthfeel and taste makes this beer pretty drinkable. You do not taste the alcohol level at all and it goes down pretty easy. I think it could have been a little better had it had slightly less carbonation.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a reddish brown color with a beige foamy head. Good carbonation and a thick head that seemed to disappear quickly.

Slight floral smell with some fruit and spice. A little bitter aftertaste with a definate alcohol feel.

Overall a great beer. Dont be surprised by the small size it packs a kick at 9.2% alcohol.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort