Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer positively frothed out of the bottle to form a big head topping a very deep dark brown body. The nose is subdued fruit notes and old leather. The taste is truly remarkable; complex earthy body with a dryish finish. The plummy flavours taste aged and regal. This is a beer that can stop you dead in its tracks by its bigness and complexity. Freakin brilliant.

canucklehead, Nov 25, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

This is really an exceptional beer. From the first sip to the last it is very enjoyable. Great hops and a nice after taste. It leaves you craving another and another. The biggest problem was running out before I got my fill. Buy it! Drink it! If you can find it.

dalion037, Nov 14, 2005
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer was good but a little dissapointing. Rochefort 10 is much better in my opinion.

A = Dark brown with a thin foam head that slowly dissapates. When lifted into the light, you can see a slight red tint.

S = Sweet bubblegum. It just smelt like sweet bubblegum.

T = Inital taste of plums and prunes with a slight bubblegum tinge, that mellows into a alcoholic warmth when the beer gets warmer.

M = This is where it lets itself down a bit. Very lightly carbonated and very watery thin. Its as if this is Rochefort 10 light.

D = Still a great beer. Not as complex as the 10 but a great beer none the less.

BeerNutta, Nov 14, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours dark brown color with a hint of red. Has a nice quarter inch head. Has a mild fruity and maly smell. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated yet smooth. Taste is unbelievable. It's lightly hopped and the spices and malts are perfectly balanced. The alochol is well hidden and very deceiving. You'd never guess it's 9.2 abv. This is one spectacular beer. It's just as good as Rochefort 10. No beer drinker will want to miss this one.

DrainBamage, Nov 13, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer pours to be a nice dark color. When held up to the light one can tell that it is an orange/red/brown color. It produced a moderate sized creamy looking head that quickly dissipated to a lacing and film over the top of the beer. When agitated the head becomes a little thicker. The factor that this head looks creamy really makes this beer look appetizing, The lacing also contributes to that. I also noticed when I was pouring it that there was some sediment in the bottom of the bottle, I was careful not to pour it into my glass. Not that it would hurt anything, but most people really don't want chunks of sediment in their beer.

In this beer the strongest aroma I detect is a malty one to be sure. The sweet aroma of vanilla is dominant over all other aromas of this beer. I really don't detect much of a hoppy smell at all here. The smell is easy to pick out and over all one doesn't have to work hard to smell any type of aroma this beer offers.

This brew has a complex flavor. As indicated by the aroma, most of the flavor in this beer is sweet, not much bitterness here. The first thing I taste is a sweet flavor. Its really hard to describe the overall taste of this beer but in it I do detect vanilla, and a coffee bean taste. I also detect the hops in the flavor of this beer as well, however the bitterness that they offer is short lived. I taste it on the back of my tongue right after the beer is swallowed. That taste is soon replaced by the taste of vanilla, which slides from the front to the back of the mouth, and in turn leaves a coffee bean aftertaste in the mouth. I would also like to note that now as my beer is warming up a bit more the hops become more pronounced, the bitterness is stronger, but still held in check by the overall sweet, malty flavor of this beer.

The mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. It is full bodied and fairly high in carbonation. As I have said with other Belgian Strong Dark Ales I believe that higher carbonation adds to the overall character of the beer. If there were less carbonation it might taste as if the beer were flat. The beer also leaves and oily feeling on my tongue after I have swallowed it, perhaps this is one of the reasons why the taste still lingers in my mouth for a bit (longer than most) after I have swallowed it. I would definitely buy this brew again. It is an excellent beer and is definitely one of my favorites (out of the few styles/beers I have had at this point).

becktone, Nov 10, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

The even, off white head springs forth like Cokes in his scene from "Crouching Hops, Hidden Malt".. It eventually dies back down, leaving large wet lace that clinges to the glass like Willis to Tarrantino. Underneath is a hazy brownish orangish earwax coloured liquid.

The smell is yeasty brown sugary earthy spicy.

The flavour is a bit thinner than expected (yet not quite as thin as the plot of "Pay It Forward"), but still complex. There's an almost ashy earthiness up top, with a dry spiciness and some fruity notes over on the side. There are some chocolate and coffee notes up front, and some spiciness at the end.

A little fizzier than expected up top- with a medium liquid down below.

The drinkability isn't quite as good as expected (much like the end scene of "Suicide Kings")...but it;s not bad. The high carbonation is the thing that puts me off more than anything else. Not bad, but definitely not my faovurite brew. I prefer the 10.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Nov 10, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

This brew pours a brown color with a lot of visible floaties. The head is unimpressive. It is small and white, and disappears within seconds. I started writing this review the moment I set the glass down after I poured the beer, and the head was gone before I was finished typing the opening sentence. All that is left now is a thin ring around the edge, and a thin cirrus cloud of foam on top. Caramel, and dark fruit dominate the aroma, while spices linger in the background. It is not what I would expect from a Belgian strong dark ale, but it is not unpleasant either. The taste is quite fruity with caramel tones. Spices and alcohol don't voice themselves until the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is not my favorite Belgian strong dark ale. I think that the extra fruitiness of this beer would be easier for me to like if it were spicies.

KarlHungus, Nov 07, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -18%

Pours dark brown with large bubble head that fades quickly.

Strong alcohol, almost mediciney which is probably accented by the spicey bitterness. But there are sweet malts and brown sugar with molassas flavors present. Medium to full body with good carbonation. Oddly enough, the alcohol, which gives it that medicine quality, makes this rather drinkable with it's warming quality.

Decent beer, but not terribly impressive.

NiceGuyMike, Nov 05, 2005
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle marked 200207. From what I could gather, July 2002 bottling. Web site says good through "bottling date - 5 years."

Poured a cloudy, reddish amber with a then tan head. A slab of dark dregs tumbled down the neck but stayed in the bottle.

Vinous aroma, plum, dark fruit and spice (coriander). Hardwood aroma in there.

Oak and alcohol going in. A rush of sweet dark fruit. Bittering toward the end. Quite amazing how this changes. Wine-like fruit qualities dominate but other flavors are easy to detect.

Full and clean in the mouth. Low carbonation.

A complex beer. Flavors change in the mouth and as it warms. Truly enjoyable and one I will buy whenever I can. It would be great to age some.

budsboy, Nov 04, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Nice bottle. Simple and old looking. This beer’s gimmick is that is has no gimmick. Label says drink by 2009, just how strong is this beast???

The 8 pours a weak coffee brown with vivacious internal tsunamis but almost no head. Looks kind of like the Wisconsin River during an august storm. Loads of suspended, unsettling sediments. These little yeasties are pissed and they’re not going to sit down and let you drink them. They’re going to swim about like drunken frogmen until you down the last gulp.

The aromas are umpteen. Bananas attack the nose straight away. Surprisingly there’s a touch of citrus in the 8, which is weird since this is such are darkish beer. The rest of the nose is pear schnapps, dirty figs, and booze.

Texture is Smooth and lotiony like the wax in a sweaty hobo’s ear, only in a good way. The malts are practically behemothic with about a kilo of brown sugar. I’m getting a bit of sweet potato tempura in here too and plenty of all that stuff that I found in the nose. This beer plays with my tongue like the first older woman I ever kissed, professional and experienced. Slightly medicinal with a pinch of cloves or some other spice. Perfectly balanced.

I could drink this one into the new year and I might since I’m heading to Europe for the new year.

My first experience with Rochefort and I’m thrilled. I can’t wait to try the 10 that’s waiting for me in the fridge.

DaPeculierDane, Oct 29, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a dark plum color with a head of fine bubbles. Looks spectac in my St. B glass. Aroma is of chocolates, plums, fruits, yumminess. Taste is big chocolate, a sweetness and fruitiness do die for and a finish that is akin to dark chocolate and a dryness that is completely unexpected. It's almost tart and vinuous. Yeah, it's dry and chocolatey and a bit sour and bittersour in the dry finish. It's complex and... I don't know. I can't tell, but it's very fascinating. No notes of spices, but it's quite spectacular. Mouthfeel is good, fine bubbles dissipating on the tongue and leaving the chocolate. Drinkability? One could kick these back all night... Excellent overall.

twilight, Oct 26, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

From the bottle it pours a murky brown into a tulip glass with very little head. There is a big alcohol and candied fruit aroma with some bread yeast.

The first taste brings sweetened dried fruit, alcohol, and a hint of apple, prunes and currants. It numbed the roof of my mouth with the spiciness and the complexity just kept on going for a long finish and changing depth the more it warmed with time and touch.

Rochefort 8 is an excellent bottled beer that is probably even more divine served up on tap in the town of the monestary with the appropriate accompanying cheeses.

TPoling, Oct 24, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

020908 stamp

eyes...
2 full fingers of offwhite fluff (large-ish bubbles), dissipatting "reasonably", as dark as brown can be without being black, some of the carbonation looks "suspended" in the brew and there is some sediment on the bottom of the glass, inviting as big brother (the 10), the lacing is great as I go on in the glass.

nose...
good carribean rum, the type that reminds you of butter cooked pecans, the type of rum that is $50 for a little bottle... the kind that you imagine being stored in oak barrels on ships, when men were men, and midgets were... um, nevermind, back to the review... in a way it almost smells like someone dumped a shot of 151 in a cheap liquer... but that doesnt sound as sexy.. does it ? underneath the rum smell is some raisin-apple (not sweet) tones, some chocolate as well, this opens up nicely when warming to room temp from cellartemp.

mouth etc...
grainy, the carbonation is mildly prickly but not jumpin', mild hop like spiciness to it, kind of like an IPA in a wierd way but slightly dark fruity ? interesting. the mouth feel is great, spot on for me, not syrupy or thick and not watery.. right there on the edge of a goof mouth full o' beer. The ABV is noticable but not a detractor to me considering all the goodness in the flavor (and flavor/smell combo). tasty.

verdict
the ABV keeps this a non session one, but for what it is? tasty. I dont know if I would pair this with anything too strong, it mihgt distract from the complex flavors swirling about. maybe just with basic crackers and cheddar or jarlsberg... or some emmenthaler...

if I had a choice the 10 is better but this one is damn good.

Ego, Oct 23, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Served from a chilled bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance is chestnut brown color w/ a tan, fluffy head, that becomes very foamy and sustains its presence for quite a while throughou the tasting. Rather hazy body when held into the light to which not so much light got through.

Aroma is of some slight hops initially along with some orange & grape aromas. Malty backbone along with some yeast aroma as well that reminds me a bit of biscuits.

Taste is amazing! Sweet brown toffee malts along with just a bit of yeast flavor. Fruit takes over after allowing the sip to settle in my mouth for a few seconds and then swishing before swallowing. Plums come to mind, along with BUBBLE GUM...yes, BUBBLE GUM (weird). A bit of drying on the finish, but not much alcohol noticable, which is dangerous!

Mouthfeel is rather good. Slight carbonation up front at a chilled temp as well as a medium-to-full body. Slight alcohol on the tip of my tongue on the finish.

Overall, for my 200th beer review on Beer Advocate, I finally hit a 5 on flavor! What a long strange trip it's been!!! One of the best I've had! However, don't drink more than 2, you'll be incapable of operating heavy machinery!

Fish113d, Oct 23, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

12 ounce brown glass bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - I like this look in a beer. Very deep reddish color approaching brown with a fluffy two finger head that's barely off white. No light gets through this beer whatsoever. Lacing sticks to the glass like crazy.

S - Smell delivers a lot of alcohol with a fruity aroma in there. Can;t put a finger on the fruits coming at me. A nice blend of aromas though. Great smell overall.

T - Very malty, bready taste. A nice little alcohol kick that blends perfectly from start to finish. Some fruity flavor in there, less than I expected from the smell but a great blend with the dark bread taste. A bit of spiciness in there balances everything out perfectly.

M - A very nice amount of carbonation for a strong dark ale and a smooth feel all around, excellent.

D - Goes down amazingly smooth and easy. The only thing preventing a five here is the 9.2 percent. Very drinkable

Notes: Excellent. I may have a new favorite here. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever tried. I recommend it to any fan of Belgians or fans of any dark beer in general. Enjoy!!

EStreet20, Oct 19, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Finally found this at random at my usual beer store and was appropriately excited. There was no date which was dissapointing as I would have liked to know its age...anyways the review.

Appearance: We poured the beer into appropriate Belgium chalices(Orval and Leffe) and was very impressed. The beer itself had a deep, rich amber brown colour that was only slightly hazy. A decent amount of light tan head that was fairly light and fluffy.

Smell: One of the greatest aroma's I've ever smelt on a beer. It completely exploded while pouring and I could smell it from a foot away. It had a very intense bubblegum aroma with a hint of fruit, spice, and a touch of yeast.

Taste: The taste was wonderful with definate hints of chocolate, a banana like fruitiness, and just a touch of spice. The finish lingers with an almost anise-like flavour and hints of the aforementioned bubblegum aroma. The alcohol is noticeable in the finish, but not overpowering, adding a gentle warming to the mouth.

Mouthfeel: This beer had a very creamy texture that feels rich in the mouth, while retaining a gentle but definate carbonation.

Drinkability: I definately enjoyed drinking this beer and took my time savouring its flavours and complexity, however it does throw a lot at you at once and therefor I could only drink a bottle or two at a time.

In the end this beer is definately in my top ten of beers, due a lot to the aroma and flavour. A noble beer to sip on a Sunday afternoon.

colebenoit, Oct 10, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a ruddy brown with golden highlights. Little yeast creatures take up residence in my glass. They seem happy, so they can stay.
Smells of brown sugar and dark fruits. There's a rich, sweet fig flavor that blends well with the slight warming efffect of the alcohol content. The alcohol taste never overpowers the other flavors, but it makes it's presence known through a nice belly warming. Very nice mouthfeel. Thicker than usual, but very smooth. Seems to dry out slighty as temperatures increase. Simply put, this is just a wonderful beer. One of those drink any time brews.

germaniac, Oct 08, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: Poured into a Watou chalice... Has a nice deep amber brown color with light tan head that gives way to a thinner creamy looking head. Lacing on the glass is very prominent.

Smell: Has a fruity, sweet smell with a touch of spice.

Taste: Taste is good, but not as good as I was hoping. With the Rochefort 10 as an alternative, I don't see myself drinking this one often. That's not to say it's an unpleasant taste. Subtle fruitiness at the beginning fading into a caramel aftertaste. There are also some spices in this that remind me a bit of Gouden Carolus Noel. Perhaps a faint hint of anise? While noticeably present, the alcohol does not overpower this beer.

Mouthfeel: The way this beer glides over your tongue is quite good. Starts out a little bubbly then fades into a creamy texture as it goes over your tongue.

Drinkability: A pretty easy to drink beer, though I could see myself needing something to cleanse the palette before having a second.

Overall, not a bad beer though not quite as good as I was hoping for after trying the 10.

stof0048, Oct 07, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A total classic and world class beer. Poured out to a cloudy hazed dark cider color that turned to an almost raspberry like color when held to the light. Thick foamy head was cream colored and about 1 inch and consistant. Rings of lace surround the interior of the glass. Aromas fo dark fruits, huts, earth and malts blend well, hinting at the flavors to soon follow. Taste was wonderful; flavors of spice, malts, dark fruit and a touch of warm alcohol mesh in a plethora of delight for the consumer. Mouthfeel was excellent; perfect carbonation balanced with superior smoothness and body. Good drinkability; this brew has got it all. Highly recommended.

Frozensoul327, Oct 05, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

330 ml brown bottle. authentic trappist product and best by date of 3/23/10.

pours a dark brown that yields a fantastic head with fair lacing, but not all that much. the nose is of various different phenols and malts reminding me of plums and dates. for some reason the smell of this makes me think of an APA or IPA. tastes highly carbonated with alcohol and malts and a bit of hops sealing the deal. this is a light heavy bodied brew with a fairly good finish. as great as this is i probablly won't be getting it all that often. doesn't seem like something i could drink much more than once every few months.

bottle opened 1/23/10

pours a deep brown with fluffy head that recedes quickly leaving very little lace. there is a pool of bubbles on top leading me to believe that it's going to be very carbonated, maybe even over carbonated. smells of musty dark fruits, brown sugar and something that almost reminds me of mud. tastes of molasses, malts, raisins, some hop bitterness in the finish. there's a sweetness from the alcohol that is very pleasant and not at all hot. this is a very good beer that i should drink much more often than i do.

radshoesbro, Oct 02, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Smooth. This beer went down surprisingly smooth. Poured a dark, dark, dark amber in color. Some red light peeked around the edges. Thick foamy head that receded to a sheer veneer of bubbles. Lace coated the inside. Flavor is very malty with a quick hit of some spices that does a great job concealing the alcohol--which there is a lot of booze. But that booze is tough to pick out. Little roastiness in the middle, but there is some nice fruit (black cherries and prunes). Even a slight hint of vanilla. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit creamy. Very drinkable, plus it is nice that the ABV is so high but when drinking you would never realize it.

MuddyFeet, Sep 30, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

I was happy to find this at Rick's in Alexandria on my bi-weekly beer run. Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance: Pours a deep, muddy brown with visible yeaties. Big, thick, creamy head that dissipates into a tightly bubbled foam. Almost no lacing on the chalice.

Smell: Rich caramel, hints of sweet fruit, earthy, a little alcoholic.

Taste: Starts with a slight fruitiness that transitions to a malty, almost roasted middle, finishes earthy, almost biscuit/bread like. Alcohol very well masked.

Mouthfeel. Pretty well carbonated, thick and creamy.

Drinkability. This one is a sipper for sure. Goes down easy with a nice warming alcohol glow. A beer to enjoy slowly. Very good, worth seeking out.

SwillBilly, Sep 29, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Rochefort 8 is an opaque dark brown with a beautiful off-white head that lasts and lasts. Looks almost like a draught stout head, impossibly creamy and long-lived.

Smells quite strong, alcohol, dark fruits, and licorice.

Tastes of sweet and tart dark fruits upfront, finishes slightly toasty. The spicy alcohol is present, but not obnoxious.

Smooth velvety mouthfeel with warming alcohol.

Rochefort 8 is an excellent sipper, perfect for sitting around at 11 in the morning and watching a Jesse James biography oh the History Channel while waiting for a job to fall into your lap. Oh, and my cat likes the way it smells--Fancy Feast beer!

battlekow, Sep 28, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful and typically Belgian explosion of thick, tight-bubbled tan head. Aroma at this point of the review is very faint, no doubt due to the coldness of the beer... let's see where it ends up.

Deep malt taste, strong carbonation, a bit thin in the mouth, but smooth and slick.

Head is amazing. I had some left in the bottle, and just poured some more into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale glass, and the head has exploded again, and is now fully one half of my glass and, if I don't disturb it, I'm not sure that it will ever die off.

Alcohol is not overpouring, but you certainly can taste it. A fine sipping beer.

Aroma is rising now as the beer warms. Raisins and malt... a touch of bread...

Darkale, Sep 25, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

The colour falls somewhere between tan and cloudy copper. Powerful aromas of red licorice, alcohol, and spice. Caramel features prominently in the flavor profile, along with more licorice, wood, raisins, and other fruits. It has quite the heavy palate as well. A huge beer, yet still very drinkable.

fisherman34, Sep 18, 2005