Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,841 | Hads: 4,939
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pillowy tan head blows up to 3 fingers if your not careful. Sediment falls to the bottom of a dark brown clouded brew.

Malts goodness is amazing, almost cake like in that they are sweet and some caramel but also a doughy breaded batch of fresh plain doughnuts...tender and tasty. Alcohol is not shy at all and fits in just right. The lingering spicy aftertaste is long lasting and powerful for some time. I get some sweet dark fruits that round this out.

Notes: this is one well rounded brew with incredible complexity. You could throw in a ton of adverbs to describe this and I don't think one could argue much with ya.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured a hazy amber with a small head that dissipates quickly into a nice lacing.

S: malty, fruity, alcohol

T: malty, fruitiness, spices with a fairly smooth finish with a touch of hop bitterness. I can definitely taste the alcohol.

M: smooth almost creamy, lightly carbonated

D: It is very complex, and I enjoyed it. I will definitely buy some more. However with the high ABV, I'm not sure how many of these I could drink in a night.

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

A - A murky amber brew with a small quickly vanishing head. Lacing clings intensely to the glass.

S - A lot of caramel malt and candied sugar with a bit of a pomegranate an coconut odor, both very faint, they mesh surprisingly well.

T - Dates, prunes, lillies, and a boat load of alcohol. Not as sweet as I had expected from the odor. A lightly bitter aftertaste with a touch of lingering sweetness and alcohol.

M - Froths up intensely in my mouth. Moderately smooth, very very creamy (from the frothing) and fairly refreshing.

D - Okay. It isn't quite the aromatic kick in the face that is the 10, it is enjoyable, but highly overrated. Unsessionable. I had it with some lime and pepper perch and haddock. The Rochefort brews are easily the most overrated on the market.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Pours a hazy brown with a bit of fine sediment. A big head forms on the pour and quickly subsides to a thick frothy layer.

S: Aromas of port, dark fruits, and a bit of alcohol. The overall smell is smaller than anticipated.

T: Metallic and salty. Alcohol is well hidden.

M: Full-bodied, but lighter than the Rochefort 10. The alcohol provides a nice warming effect in the finish. Carbonation is on the lively side.

D: Both the Rochefort 8 and 10 are , in my opinion, overpriced and overhyped. I've had beers that are 50% cheaper than these that I would rather drink. I don't see myself trying these beers again.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

33cl bottle drunk from my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Off-white creamy head unevenly punctuated by large bubbles diminshed in about 2 minutes to a thin white foam on top of the pour. Beautiful dark mahogany color, nearly opaque.

Aroma: Caramel, sugar, raisins, plums, chocolate. One of the most appetizing aromas I've found in a beer.

Taste: Malty sweet, lots of chocolate and raisins. Slight alcohol taste, the serving temperate could be a factor here, as I drank it only barely chilled.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation gives this beer a little too much bite. Slight alcohol burn, but again, serving temperature could be a factor.

Overall: Pretty good, but I feel the drinkability of this beer was negatively affected by its carbonation level.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Just after the 6.
BB 5-10, still a little fresh I guess.
Appearance is a little poor, lively, not lasting, but according ABV not unuseal. Most barley wine don't produce must of a head.
Like 6 nice smell, almost equal; candy-sugar, some raisins, spicy, even a bit malty and certainly port.
Taste: initial taste bitter/light sweet containing hop bitterness, medium full body.
Mouthfeel: warm alcoholic, bit dry, normal carbonation. Aftertaste: spicy and hoppy.
Drinkability: very good brew, enjoy one, drink the second later.
My local shop has plenty on the shelf, lucky me!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into my St. Bernardus goblet.
Best before date: 23 03 10

This is my first sample, into the world of Trappist beers. I must admit, that I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure if I would like this style or completely hate it. Well, my review will show that I wasn't disappointed.

Pours a very dark, burnt, amber color,hazy. A nice one finger creamy tan head. Some yeast in the bottom of the bottle. Average amount of lacing, that wants to cling to the glass. Decent aromas, of malt, spices, fruits and alcohol. Nothing is overwhelming, everything seems to blend together very well. Super smooth taste and mouthfeel. Incredible!!! Lots of malt flavor, spice, and hint of smoke. Very easy to drink! Enjoyable to say the least. I didn't realize how smooth this brew is. I could drink this all day!! I'm sure the alcohol would get me, but I don't even know its there. Except for the smell.

I must say, I totally love this beer. Very refreshing, and a joy to drink. I can see why most people rate this style of beer so high. Looking foward to trying the Rochefort 10.

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%

11.2oz bottle from pentathlete as part of the OneBox BIF. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1" beige head above the clear reddish burgundy brew. Pillowy head is not going anywhere, period, and lacing consists of heavy foam bits all over the place. Aroma is spicy yeasts with an undercurrent of malt sweetness. Taste is what the nose indicated, but with more balance between the grain and spiciness, and a lingering flavor of same following swallow. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, and drinkability is excellent, especially for the abv. This one lives up to the hype.

It is always tough to review a Trappist ale. They are primitve in the sense that they are all brewed from the same simple ingredients yet they are brewed to such a standard that they embody the all the traits of beer brewed in past centuries without recourse to fancy adjuncts or processes. They have a yeasty, fruity taste to me coupled with a malty sweetness that includes dried fruits and some honey and candy, This brew is no exception. A true sipper I enjoyed this brew over the course of an hour amd each sip remained a treat.

Color was deep mahogany/opaque with a long lasting tightly knit tan head.

Aroma was fruit and yeast notes with some caramel and honey.

Taste was complex. Fruity and sweet as well as tart and vinous. Little hint of the alcohol.

Felt surprisingly light on the palate for the gravity.

Very drinkable. Will definitely buy again.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Chimay chalis from the bottle.
A: Pours a deep brown color with a frothy, light brown head. Lacing is good. I poured some of the yeast out of the bottle and it sat on top of the head the entire time I drank.
S: Chocolate, alcohol, fruits (I think mango? maybe?)
T: Fruity, pear like flavor. Toasted wheat and alcohol with some mild hop presence in the end.
M: So smooth, perfect carbonation. Sublime.
D: Why is Rochefort so good?? So complex. I would love to drink this all night. I almost recommend the 8 as much as the 10, and that is saying something. Buy it if you see it.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

Murky, muddy brown color with shades of oak. Rather porous, off-white head that leaves an intricately patterned sheet. Sponge-like, dense ringed lacing with good strength.

Milk chocolate and caramel. Tart, ripe, vinous fruit esters: apple, cherry. Underlying musty, candied sugars. Complex whaffs of alcohol.

Great combination and balance between rich, smooth milk chocolate/toffee flavors and hints of acidic, ripe fruit. Musty, distinctively active yeast strain. A powdered, candied sweetness that doesn't mask a slightly thin, watery feel at the finish. Rich, caramel aftertaste with a hint of alcohol.

Medium bodied; rich, creamy. A bit too much carbonation, and slightly watery at times.

This one is a pleasure. Deeper flavors than I would've expected, for a Belgian ale that is powdery and slightly thin.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

Finally available in Texas. I don't have a Rochefort glass but I guess a Chimay will do.

Pours out a dark brown, a little tan at the edges, with a finger's worth of tan foam atop it. Aroma is superb! Fruity, sweet, with a gentle spiciness that reminds me, oddly, of pesto, with its peppery basil and nutty pinenuts. Gentle malt flavor at the start, with a tangy, candy-like fruitiness and more hops than I expected, drying it and providing a grassy subflavor. Alcohol is lightly tasted near the end. Nice soft texture and good body.

World-class beer!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Excellent appearence; beautiful lacing that stays in the glass and sticks to the side. very dark caramel in color, pours beautiful.
Brown sugar, vanilla, fruity, malty, and, rich scents. tastes of brown sugar, cinamon, raisins, chocolate, and spices. very sweet rich drink. It would be good to drink with a dessert. the carbonation is alright and the mouthfeel is malty/slightly coarse which isnt bad at all. I like this beer a lot. definitely something that everyone should try. Not a Rochefort Ten, but damn good.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Sampled through the efforts of Murrayswine and UTBIF.

Poured in to my Duvel Tulip I get a near clear walnut brown colored ale with a tall tan head that is about Duvel strength.

Smell is quite appetizing. Lots of brown sugar and fig Newton’s aroma in the first sniff. Deeper aromas of vanilla, oak, chocolate, coriander, black pepper, nutmeg, and that is about all I name.

Taste is mildly sweet with a big hit of chocolate at the beginning. Black pepper and spiciness are the next things that hit my tongue. Banana and chocolate seem to mingle in the taste. Not bad but I keep expecting more flavor from this one.

Mouthfeel is quite full and very creamy.

Not bad at all but a bit throttled back in flavor for my tastes. Having said that there aren't that many beers that are better than this. Still this is no Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or.

Review #900 by the way only 100 to #1000.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle poured into goblet.

Pours a dark brown with deep amber hues. Cap was huge right off and had to let settle a little to finish pouring. Cap is tan that leaves very nice lacings along sides of glass and created caverns as it fell. Smell is very potent with lots of fruity maltiness and brown sugar. Figs and raisins. Alcohol is very evident in nose. Reminds of a port. Alcohol taste is very evident just like the nose. Taste is very sweet with lots of fruit and like a rum ball or spiced cake. Hops has a mildly bitter finish to help mellow the sweetness and tone down the alcohol. Body is medium with a crisp amount of carbonation. It finishes a little on the dry side but leaving lots of flavor lingering. I will have again!

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Ppoured a crimson almost brown ale with a thick rocky, tan head that stayed around for a long time a left ample lace on my Chimay Chalice. The aroma is sweet and full of dark fruits with a touch of spice, reminds me of a malty sweet holiday fruitcake. The flavor is very malt oriented and it has a strong malty sweetness in the beginning that is balanced by a light, yet noticeable, clean spicy hop bitterness and a toasty malt flavor. It segues into a fruitier drier malt flavor towards the end and it finishes with a balanced sweet/toasty malt flavor and a bit of hop bitterness to lend it a clean quality. It has a noticable alcohol level and it warms the belly nicely. This ale would be very drinkable if it was milder yet that would make it boring so I think for what it is it's drinkabilty is as high as you can get with this high of alcohol level and flavor.

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

11.2 ounce bottle ($5.99 ouch!), with some sort of dating(?) that I can make no sense of. Pours muddy medium brown, with a long lasting tan head and leaving moderate lacing. Nose is mildly of cola and brandy. This is a full flavored brew, lots more cola flavors as well as figs and brandy. Cant say this is my favorite, I recognize the quality and intensity of this creation, just too much cola sweetness going on here. Worth trying this quality brew, but drinkability is not super high, IMHO

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark hazy brown with huge tan head . Settles slowly and remains at 1/8 in. Replenishes as it warms up. Looks great.
Smells earthy, malty.... lot of yeast..hint of alcohol.
Tastes doughy,slightly spicy, yeast and malt...hint of alcohol showing up more as it warms....barely sweet...no bitter.
Mouthfeel is really smooth and pretty carbonated...lighter in density than it looks.
Very drinkable.
This was a treat.

4.64/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a dark, cloudy,reddish/brown. Slight tan head.

Aromas of spices, hazelnut, bready, yeasty,musty grassiness. Sweet malt and dark fruit aromas as well.

Taste is very complex. Smooth, sweet, chocolatey malt taste with nutty, spicey characteristics. Slight hop bitterness brings it all together.

Mothfeel is incredibly smooth, malty and fizzy. Definite alcohol warmth is noticeable.

4.24/5  rDev -1.4%

330ml bottle

Appearance: Dark murky amber in color with tons of sediment. Lots of head leaving lacing.

Smell: Some fruity aromas mixed among some malts and bread smells.

Taste: The malts are apparent and sweet and some hops deliver some bitterness to it, although seemingly not a whole lot. The taste is super complex and every sip you can pick out different stuff, so fruits and spices too. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, accompanied with the awesome smell, frothy head, and complex taste.

Drinkability: Very warming, the alcohol is not so apparent but I can feel it after I finished it. Personally one if plenty for me.

Overall it was a great beer. Not my favorite style and I admit I know very little so far of this style but this is one of the better examples I have had. I would give it another tasting.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

Bottled dated best by 6/2010. Poured into a tulip with a quickly rising, mountian, jello-like head, which lasts half way through the glass. Lacing is laid down in sheets. First sniff reveals pears, granny smith apples, a hint of caramel, and the faintest hint of hops.

The flavor is very similar, exhibiting light fruits, and a slightly astringent malt character. Much drier than I anticipated. Nicely balanced all around, and almost tastes like it's already been aged for a few years... makes me wonder what a couple years would do for it. I'll have to go back and but some more. Mouthfeel is creamy and full with aggressive carbonation, and begs for another sip.
Drinkablility I'd say is high, it hides the alcohol fairly well, and is quite well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a small snifter.
Nice foamed head that stayed throughout. Dark golden/amber body, reddish tints and some sediment.
Smell was complex. Some light fruit; lemon, pear, and some flower. Also had some darker smells; nut, malt and caramel.
Taste was about the same as the smell, but the citrus was lost and replaced with vanilla hints. Good feel to it, enough tingles to wake up the buds.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Purchased in Japan, best before 11/2009. This one poured out a deep brown with a creamy-looking, light brown head that faded rather quickly into a milky film on top.

Sweet and sticky candied smell, bubblegum, cider-like with fruity esters. Hints of spice and an overall clean, layered aroma, despite a strange, muddy malt smell that lingered in the background. It threw me off a bit, but did not ruin the experience.

Light body that pleasantly warms as it goes down. Strong banana in the taste, cider present as well, red apples, and lightly acidic in the mouthfeel and the taste. Also, it was a bit medicinal/phenolic in the mouthfeel. Nice, crisp taste.

I'm finding that Belgian Strongs typically have pretty interesting, layered aromas. This entry from Rochefort is not bad, but also not perfect.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in my Orval chalice.

Appearance was very hazy dark brown. Not much light getting through. Thick tan head that left quite a bit of lacing as dissipated.

The smell reminded me of mulled apple cider and banana's. Dried fruits such as figs and ever present alcohol.

The taste was up front notes of cider as well. Sweet without being cloying. Very layered. Mulled cider, baked apples, dried figs and raisons. Spices such as nutmeg. Also a healthy dosage of hops to balance out the hefty amounts of malt and candy sugars. Warming alcohol loomed in the background.

Mouth feel was thick and velvety. Almost chewy with some biting carbonation.

Very drinkable. The alcohol, while present, does not detract from the flavor. It is a bit filling, but still one of the best I've ever had.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a wide-mouth goblet from a 33cl bottle. Appeared as a slightly hazy brown color with a light cocoa head and inticate lacing. Nose is wildly exciting with alcohol up front, a good rum perhaps. Banana, raisin, and tropical fruit notes are also asserting themselves here. Velvety taste, as the alcohol retreats in the beginning. Meduim-bodied malt character, slightly exotic and spicy. Again, spiced rum comes to mind. Some sweet darkchocolate flavors erupt as well ... blended with the fruitiness of the malt/yeast chemistry. Alcohol is assertive throughout, with a medium, to heavy mouthfeel. Sweeter than dryer finish. Little carbonation. In every respect, a great beer. Very, very complex flavor profile. and the smell is epic. One of the best for sure, and one that needs to be in every beer lovers adventures. I prefer drinking this one alone ... that is, without the accompaniment of any food. Fine to drink with other beer lovers!

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort