Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,758 | Reviews: 1,835
4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Poured root beer brown with a humongous three finger head of tan thick foam.

S: Damp forest, wood, dates, root beer.

T: Dates, cinnamon, dark oat bread, herbal tea, slight honey, root beer, alcohol. Transitions effortlessly between the candy sweetness of dried fruit and bready flavors. Enough spice to accent the highs and lows but not overpower. Balanced and hides the booze well.

M: Lively, well carbonated, medium and smooth.

O: Phenomenal. So interesting and enjoyable to drink. Nothing overwhelms.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Initially pours a mostly clear deep reddish brown color with a half-inch of fluffy tanish foam on top. There are quite a few bubbles rising to keep the head frothy. The head was still going strong a few minutes into the beer...nice!

Aroma: Deep rich dark chocolate and a tad of roast along with a whole bunch of subtle fruit flavors. I get black cherries in particular, but there are also a little plums along with a toastiness that smells like it is slightly burnt toast. As it warms a touch, there is a bready character coming out from the yeast to add to the complexity.

Taste: Really clean yet rich flavor. There is a whole lot going on in this one. I can get a noticeable chocolaty roast presence, but it isn't a huge part of the profile like it is in a Porter. There are lots of bready and toasty notes to fill out this beer. The balance is (I believe) balanced toward the sweetness the entire time. There is a noticeable alcoholic presence that makes itself known as a spicy undertone rather than as an an alcoholic heat. The alcohol itself is really smooth and only warms you up from the inside.

Opinion: Man, now this is a good beer! My wife isn't really a beer drinker, but I gave her a sample of the Rochefort 10, and she exclaimed "How can anyone not like this beer!?" I agree, and think that this statement describes this beer...excellent! I tell you now that I will drink this beer any chance I get until I am stinking drink. This (and the 10 especially) are phenomenal beers and one that you absolutely HAVE to try!

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

The world class rating is very much credible. Belgian strong dark ales are my favorite and this one may be my favorite of the style. 11.2 oz. bottle poured, unfortunately, into a pint glass.

It pours a murky brown with a wonderfully large fluffy head that slowly dissolves into a smaller creamy one. It laces well all the way down to the last sip.

It smells fantastic. Very sweet bread like and malty aromas fill the air around the glass. Ripe fruit esters are also present.

Even with a 9.2 abv this beer just goes down so easily and smoothly. Lots of dark fruit flavors, raisins for sure, it has that great Belgian yeast flavor. A gorgeous, complex beer.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

This is one of the best beers I've ever had. It pours beautifully, has a wonderfully rich aroma. The taste is slightly less sweet than some of the other trappist belgians, which is perfect for me. I like this better than Chimay. I enjoys this out of a frosty tulip glass, but a goblet would've worked just as well. Try one!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As best as industrial beer gets.
What a head! What a crisp, rich, non-alocholic taste.
No questions, it is the #1 trappist, and out of Rechefort arsenal - this is THE cannon.
Cant think of any better beer experiance from stuff you can get off the shelf anywhere in Benelux.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

"WHOA BABY!" is that a "Rochefort". "Darn straight", you can tell it by that "Fantastic" aroma, that of a fine brandy, malts and some plums "WOW"! Pours a nice deep cloudy brown, luxuriant light chocolate head and the lace in layered sheets to coat the glass. Big malt start, the top is middling, the finish is meticulously hopped, masterfully carbonated, droughty alcohol bitter aftertaste. "Alcohol" definitely rears its head at the finish as it warms you pleasantly, what a great beer!!!

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: A cloudy dark brown beer. Pours a vigorous but not crazy light tan head that lasts and leaves some lacing that ultimately recedes.

Smell: Fruity and spicy and floral. The fruits I can unquestionably get area cherries and plums. I can also get a whiff of some the alcohol but it isn't too strong and doesn't really detract. In fact I would say it improves the beer by slightly contrasting with the fruits.

Taste: The taste mimics the smell but the cherries play a much larger role than the plums and alcohol. The plums soften the tartness of the cherries while the alcohol contrasts the other two. I notice a slight caramel malt flavor rolling around there among the fruits.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation with a creamy feel. The alcohol also warms the throat very well as it goes down.

Overall: I could drink this beer for the rest of my life and be happy if it wasn't so damn expensive.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

In talking with my pal Zoran about heady beers, especially those from Belgium, this one was recommended by him as being his favorite. He brought over one for me to sample and review, so here we go.

Pours thick leaving a very frothy one inch head with great retention. A lot of sediment and adjunct sank to the bottom and some are sticking around in the head as well. Scary at first for me, but later I am calmed by the great mouthfeel and drinkability of this one. Highly carbonated. Opaque dark and smooth caramel appearance. Thick lacing.

Smell is quite complex. Sweet malts balance with spicy floral hops for a uniquely pleasant experience. Hints of raisins. At first the alcohol was not present in the nose, but upon finishing about 3/4 of it, the alcohol smell is starting to come through.

Taste is so silky and smooth with many of the characteristics already noted in the nose. The mouthfeel on this one is perhaps the most pleasant I have ever experienced. Perfectly carbonated. Almost scary how easy this one is to drink considering the high ABV.

Superb brew.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Cloudy dark mahogany body under an initially-huge rocky tan head. Head fades to a solid lid in about 10 minutes.

Smell is fantastic. So rich and "warm" with vanillla, vinous malt, and oak. Sweet burned cherry, old leather, dark chocolate. Spicy, peppery, mmm. Really smells exceptionally good.

Taste is spot on to the aroma: vanilla and burned cherry are the front notes, then the pepper and coriander come up. Finish is Light metallic bitter followed by dark chocolate.

Rich mouthfeel with a depth of soft and expansive carbonation spreading it all around. Tastes and feels so good, you don't really want to swallow it.

Drinkability is reduced by the alcohol, which is very evident, though not harshly so. However, there's so much going on here that this is a sipper anyway. I reckon I could sip a couple of these or more. However, they're a bit on the pricey side, so in the real world, that also reduces the drinkability.

Overall, another of Rochefort's fantastic beers. Someday I'm gonna have the 6, 8 and 10 side-by-side!

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Wow! I finally had the opportunity to try a beer out of my price range that i normally wouldn't drink, thanks to a dear friend.
It poured into my tulip a slightly lighter than rootbeer color with a frothy head and abundant gyrating protein chunks. The smell was subdued but very pleasant with minimal distinct notes. The taste was crazy good. If only I could brew a beer that is as balanced as this I might never brew another style. Nothing was overpowering - not the yeast, not the grains, not the hops but the overall package was very flavorful. Again, the balance was incredible! The mouthfeel was just fine; not slick or sticky and only slightly dry, leaving the palette desiring another mouth full. Drinkability is addictive with barely a hint of the high alcohol content. This beer deserves its high marks regardless of what my numbers produce.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into a Chimay goblet.

A - A beautiful dark mud brown color with a nice off white head. Medium dense bubbles that have a nice retention. and recede to a thick mat.

S - Bread hints in the noes all around. Almost like whole wheat bread right out of the fridge. Some banana in the nose as well as some raisins and yeast. Very complex nose. Im sure there is more there.

T & M - Brady hints are a plenty. More pleasant and mellow than the 6. Alcohol esters are around as well as some banana bread hints. Delicious but complex beer. Not for everyone. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy. Smooth and creamy, intense carbonation. This really grows on you as you drink. There is also a hint of cinnamon almost like apple cider.

D - Amazing brew!!

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Without a doubt one or the more remarkable beers I have tasted in this millenium. Much more rounded and complex than a young bottle (this one had been in the cellar about 2 years).

Very appealing lightly cloudy walnut brown pour sporting crimson/ruby tinges. A relatively voluminous off white head adorns the fluid for some time. Respectable staying power.

The aromas are stunning! Unbelieveably complex and harmonious, I could have easily been contented to simply take in the aromas for an entire evening but I had a job to do...

Up front, soft lightly malty and honeyed essence of orange envelopped in rich milk chocolate, followed by long hints of spices ( ginger, cloves ) and fruits, a touch of earthy mint, all wrapped in a slightly vinous quality. What wonders a little bit of age can do to a beer.

Almost as equally remarkable were the flavours and mouthfeel. Fine but dense bubbly feeling ushered in a satisfying and rounded liquid that felt slick on the tongue. Full and firm malt flavours provide a solid structure for the softly spicy rum soaked fruit and residual sweetness reminescent of maple water. A soothing, long and heady finish winds down on a cushion of hoppy and yeasty bitterness as smooth as silk.

This beer must be drunk on its own. To pair this with any foodstuff would only detract from the endless complexity and satiating aspects of the brew. One of my favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Very dark orange-brown with a gorgeous head. Once it settled, the interior of the glass was covered with lacing and the head itself fell in “pits.” It looked like lava formations at the beginning of time.

Smell – The aroma of malts and (mostly) fruits are hit hard with the 9.2 ABV. This almost smells like hard liquor. The fruity (orange, cherry, apple, pineapple, cranberry) aroma that is awesome.

Taste – This is very interesting. The complex mix of fruits, along with the strong alcohol, gives this aspect of the beer a “mixed drink” kind of flavor. I make a party favorite drink with orange, cranberry, pineapple-apple juice, and rum and this is similar on the front end of The Eight.

The malt kicks in though and you know this is a beer. This brew is also loaded with sugar that comes out (even more so) at the end. This is one helluva beer.

Mouthfeel – There’s not a lot of carbonation here, but this is smooth considering the ABV. It’s more like taffy on your tongue then beer.

Drinkability – Way too drinkable for such a strong concoction. This one went down like silk.

Comments – I liken this beer an organic fresh fruit mix poured into fine Belgian malt. I don’t feel that I’ve done it justice in my review. There are a myriad number of other flavors that I can’t pick up. This is in a class all by itself.

Update: The 2004 vintage is more of the same. Recently, I was able to pick up more complexity in the nose. In particular I found some darker fruits like dates and figs and raised the Smell rating by 0.5.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip. Huge beige head formed atop of a beautiful dark rubyish body. Tons of lace. Aromas of rum raisin, black cherry, and plenty of candi syrup. Very malty and rich, yet light on the tongue. Syrup, molasess, exotic sugars, peppery. Slight alcohol burn. World classic in every sence of the word.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

33 cl. bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Purchased for around $5 at Carytown Wine and Beer in Richmond, Virginia.

Appearance: Huge emission of gas upon popping the cap off the bottle. One of the best heads I've ever seen: huge, thick, foamy, lightly mocha-colored, leaving a tenacious, sticky lace clinging to the glass. Hazy orange and amber color, with amazing amounts of tiny bubbles floating to the surface. Head stays around 1/4" upon refilling the glass. Amazing.

Smell: Ridiculous things going on here. I chilled it for about an hour before finally opening it, so at first of course the chilliness of it diminished the aromas. But as it began to warm up gorgeous stuff started coming through. I don't know exactly what was coming through upon each wave of warming, but here's a rundown: licorice, cherry and cranberry tartness, honey, heavy bread and yeast (of course), tropical fruit, plum, faint hints of candi sugar, faint chocolate / coffee / mocha, citrus, lemon and orange zest, pepper and ginger-like spice, hints of vanilla, maple, and caramel. I'd suggest doing what I did, chill it, then spend a lot of time with it.

Taste: Also exceptional. Fruit tartness -- apricot, grape, plum, tropical fruit. Wheat bread. Faint black licorice. Orange and lemon zest. A faint wood / smoke flavor at the end. Also chocolate / dark chocolate soaked berries at the end. The alcohol is evident at first, then quickly melds into tons of flavor. The aftertaste is amazing, beautifully tart, complex, and changing as it reaches the back of the tongue. The balance is stupendous -- the sweetness and malt and the heavy nature of the yeast combine beautifully for a complex and exceptional brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as velvet. Perfect levels of carbonation and slight bubbles to a perfectly balanced silk swallow. To be savored.

Drinkability: I hate to not make it a 5, but for me, as I've said with many brews, with something like this, you need to take a long time with it, or at least that's what I'd suggest. It took me an hour and a half to finish the bottle, and not only did I have a fantastic and slightly euphoric small buzz going, but it was highly enjoyable. Because of that, the drinkability in my opinion can't be a five. But goddamnitt it's close.

Pick up at least one of these up if you can. I have another one in the cellar. Two bottles of Rochefort 10 are waiting for me, and I'm confused at how this can get better, and I really can't wait to try it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bottle...well, just for the hell of it. I was very excited to try this, as it is heavily hyped.

A- A reddish amber color- some maroon/brown/ruby colors. Small tan head, nice and tasty.

S- Smell was of cherries, fruits, and chocolate- oh YEAH- lots of alcohol.

T- Taste was a complex caramel, toffee, spices, fruits, and some nuttiness.

M- Mouthfeel was so light and enjoyable- warming as it was sipped.

D- This is a wonderful beer that is best sipped and enjoyed on a nice cold night- one of the best I have ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Small brown Euro bottle. This one has been in my fridge over year. Best for date of 020504.

Another deep brown pour, no light penetrating its outer layer. Small tight tan head. Bottle swirl produces a thick, tan, yeasty leftover flavors to settle on the head.

Smells are what you would expect, except perfectly balanced and finished. Nice sweet rum soaked cherries, plums. Hints of earthy figs and sweet molasses. All dance around your nose and tease your tastebuds.
Flavors are super smooth and everywhere. Rum soaked cherries again. Rich juicy plums and figs. Sweetness and spicy goodness melt over your tongue. Nice noticable heat of abv brngs you back and begs another drink. This taste yeilds another rich creamy belgian yeast shot. Carmelized bananas, another spicy shot of alcohol. Subtle hints of toffee, cinnamon and everything else slide by your tastebuds. Unbelievable balance of flavors to this beers. Overall silky sweetness and flavors overwhelm me. Is there even a hint of chocolate in there. I wouldn't be surprised.
Medium bodied, nice fullness to it. Depth of flavors that grabs your attention. This one is to be savored. Selling at $8.99 locally but worth every penny. I would much rather savor this and keep it for a special occasion than your regular old $15 bottle of wine. Unbelievably great tasting. Who would have thought I would find so many great tasting beers in Florida ? You just need to start looking.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%

It's amazing what you can find on the shelves at state-operated Utah liquor stores. I found this Rochefort Trappistes 8 bottle and I have to admit, it's the first beer of this caliber I've tasted. In short, I was floored. Amazed.

The serving bottle was understated and elegant enough (just my style...I can do without flashy labels). I unintentionally poured a huge head with this beer. You really have to pour it slowly. The liquid below the embarrassingly fluffy head poured a really attractive dark brown with just a touch of red--unfiltered. The head was a butternut tan. Beautiful, in my opinion.

The smell is complex. You're hit with a fig smell followed by fruit--dare I even say citrus? Definitely oranges. Everything is pulled together with a light woody scent.

The taste is sweet, then bitter, and then you notice strong but not biting carbonation. The most noticeable aspect of the taste isn't the individual facets of it, but the way that the flavors work together to create a full, creamy, and utterly natural taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and even.

Drinkability for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale is a relative thing, as you don't exactly go knocking ten of these down during the big game. It's a sipping beer (the alcohol content requires it), but I'm sure I could sip it all night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I'm biased, I love beer that looks like this. When held up to the light it's a vibrant, deep, red, with a nice creamy tan lacing on the top.

Smell: Big hit of sweet malt, brown sugar, molasses, apricot and alcohol.

Taste: A nice fruitiness upfront fades into the big sugary malt, alcohol warms your face, and the minimal hop character or something else cleans it up like magic leaving me dry and wanting more.

Mouthfeel: Small bubbly smooth carbonation, juicy, a little syrupy, but it dissolves and dries up, seems to leave a little bit of a coating in the mouth.

Drinkability: Delicious, big and sweet, almost enough sugar to make me want something more bitter or spicy, but it's the style. Very well done, a favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a dark beer boys and girls. A big, plumpy off white head sitting atop this monster. The nose is very cool with dusty chocolate, bread, raisins and a fair kick of prunes. A little sip reveals a massively complex mix of chalky, chewy, malty, baked bread and prunes again. Quite dry, low carbonation. This is the real deal. I friggin love this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful pour, thick head that remains throughout entire glass with noticeable lacing. Dark brown in color. Slightly sweet taste of raisin and plums. Very easy drinking for such a high alcohol content. Drinks much smoother than it looks. Wonderful beer that only improves with time if you have the self-discipline.

A beer haiku for you:

"Rochefort, oh so fine!
Standard bearer for the ale;
Drink one and be blessed".

Without doubt, one of the world's finest ales. More difficult to find than even a year or two ago, but if you see one or two 'pounce': the price is worth the enjoyment that you will receive from this beauty.

Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was about time to review this brew - it is simply one of the best I've ever had. Enjoyed this in the Trappist Rochefort chalice, which does really enhance this brew.

Pours a cloudy brown with a significant amber hue. Certainly opaque, but with a nice bit of brightness. Perfect 2cm of head that fizzles and is just a little off white. Head remains for the entire drink, with nice lacing. Nose is "delicious" as I say or "smells like happy" like my fiancé says. Also includes a great bit of brown sugar and a sweet maltiness.

Taste is much like the nose - great. Excellent balance of brown sugar, light hints of dark fruits, dark chocolate, and other excellent flavors. The key here is a balance that makes this beer all it's own. Medium mouthfeel that is super smooth. Hard to tell this has high ABV, but that ad price affects the drinkability.

I love the Trappist brews, but this one is definitely my favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deeper in color than its younger sibling, Rochefort 8 presents itself as a dark red beer with a finger-thick creamy head. Persistent with a decent lace, though surprisingly not as much as the 6. The aroma, however, is far richer, with a solid base of roasted, coffee-like malt, hints of fig and vanilla, and a slight alcohol nose. The alcohol is also much more noticeable in the flavor – it’s actually almost a bit overpowering in the first sip. The second sip, however, is much kinder. Bready flavors dominate, with a sweet malty flavor showing up first, followed by dark fruit, and finally a lovely bittersweet chocolate finish. A bit spicy throughout as well, perhaps ginger? As the beer warms, the alcohol mellows to a gentle peppery flavor which blends nicely into the overall flavor profile of the beer. Fuller in mouth and dryer in finish than the 6; Rochefort 8 is a really splendid beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best before is 21/04/15, which I understand makes the bootling date April 21, 2010.

Beer is a beautiful dark brown, with reddish hues. The tan head was about a finger-width but disapated very quickly to leave a small film on top.

Smell is wonderful, and includes dark fruit such as plum, caramel and malt.

The taste- amazing. Sweet malt, lightly spiced dark fruits, and a bit of a boozy finish. It is a very "warm" taste (not just in an alcohol sense), and very full. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. I like minimal carbonation in my beer, and this one is slightly (but only slightly) too bubbly for me. However, generally it is wonderful. Nice and full.

Drinkability? Very high. Sure, this is a strong beer. However, if I obeyed only my mouth and taste buds, I would drink this all day long. My main concern would be that I would cease appreciating it very quickly!

Fantastic beer.