Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,828 | Hads: 4,842
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The classic. Yet another beer I love that I'm finally getting around to reviewing. Out of my Chimay chalice.

A - lovely deep brown; thick, luxurious off-white head

S - dark fruit, spice, sweet malt, hints of alcohol

T - again, dark fruit, bits of spice, hints of sweet malt, alcohol comes in at the end; just completely and totally lovely

M - fairly solid body, good carbonation of course

D - Rochefort...one of the greats! Of course the drinkability is great! I'm sure we'd all drink this more if we could afford it, and for those of you who can, I envy you! If you haven't had this get to it! (599 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my inaugural pour for my new Chimay goblet, not exactly the fanciest of goblets but my first. I will admit that the beer looked much better than Belgians usually do in my tulip glass. This is somewhat off-topic, but I wasn't a believer in glassware until now. At any rate, this beer pours a beautifully dusky brown with a calm head. It's a nearly idyllic looking in the goblet. The beer looks substantive and earthy, like something that would be drunk at great feasts. The nose is wonderfully Belgian. There is some alcohol presence, which mostly serves the complex smells of fruits and malt. The taste is a highly refined caramel with an array of bitter and sweet fruits. It's a wonderful beer that deserves its reputation. It's certainly a heavyweight even in a style this competitive. The feel is lush and velvety, and I could chew on this beer all night. (867 characters)

Serving type - bottle

Appearance - very dark brown, super 3 inch+ creamy head

Smell - Spices, malts, barley, honey and sugar. Some carmel and hops even

Taste - Tastey! SMooth, spicey and very easy to drink. These malts are very special, and all the spices really set this beer apart from the rest. I really taste carmal with every drink. This is the Apex of beers, wow.

Mouthfeel - Sweet and smooth. Its a liquid desert in a bottle. Basically this is a treat for your mouth, tounge and pallet. Your mouth tickles from the sugars and malts. You cant get another drink fast enough!

Drinkabilty - I could drink this daily but, no way i should cause i would be spoiled from all other beers. This aint the insane quad 10 that rochefort makes but its right behind it. World class, only 10 is above it (800 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from the light brown bottle much like the one pictured above. Purchased at McNaulty's Bier Markt in Cleveland, Ohio a few days ago. Poured into a clean, clear glass.

A As I poured I noted some sediment going into the glass and sure enough checking the bottom of the glass I can see a pinch of dark sediment there. This beer has a presence in the glass. A deep, thick brown body which one cannot see through. I just got up and held the glass to an intense light and noticed two new things: 1) the body is actually a deep brown amber in intense light and that 2) sediment is not just on the bottom of the glass but also floating around in an even distribution. Light brown 2 finger head which remained there for about 4 minutes after I poured it.

S Strong, malty, earthy amber smell. Very inviting.

T Malty, little hops, alcohol late mid taste and a very pleasing malty after taste. There is some sweetness but not a frank sweetness, more like a molasses sweetness. This is some great stuff!

M Full but not to any extreme. Primary mouthfeel is malty goodness.

D High alcohol means that I cannot drink too many of these. Still very interesting and drinkable because of it.

Notes: I had read about this beer and considered calling a distributor to see about ordering it. I was delighted to see that it is for sale at the Bier Markt. I learned about the Bier Markt here at BA. Thanks to all of you for that type of information. Addendum: Since writing this I found Rochefort at World Wines and Liquor in Mentor for $4.99 a bottle. It was more than that at Bier Markt. (1,575 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a Rochefort goblet.

A: Dark brown pour with burnt siena hues. Fine-bubbled tan head retains at a half inch in the wide-brimmed glass. Thin slip of lacing slides back down into the glass, leaving a thin ring behind.

S: Molasses, dark spiced rum, brown cocoa, roasted nuts, fruit cake. Suggestions of plum, blackberry, and fig. Dusty and musty yeast and a lot of yeasty spice. Tobacco/herbal dimension too. Hugely complex nose.

T: Rummy, molasses, rich and sticky fruit cake. Roasted nuts. Cocoa. Fruity notes of plum, blackberry, fig, and even some lighter pear tastes brieflly. Tangerine comes out after a while too. Musty yeast. Yeasty clove-like spices. Herbal undertones. Alcohol is stiff and serious. Drying finish of fruitcake, brown sugar, and dried herbs.

M: Medium heft, rich malt textures are velvety smooth and not sticky at all. Carbonation is very active and scrubs gently but thoroughly and provides a lot of lift at the same time. It seems to evaporate off of the palate. Soothing warmth from the alcohol.

O: As close to perfect as it gets. A captivating beer in all respects. Ponder its complexity sip by sip for a most rewarding experience. By far my favorite in the Rochefort lineup, though the 10 seems to overshadow it in popular opinion. (1,289 characters)

A - Amber dark brown with 2 inch off white head. Lots of sediment

S - Dark fruits, toffee, caramel

T - like eating a Caramelo, chocolate and caramel falvors dominate and finishes with a creamy taste. Can taste slight alcohol but it is well balanced in with the flavors of the beer. It is masked very well

M - Medium body with lots of carbination. Not sticky or chewy. Went down very well and smooth

D - It a bit pricey but very worth having a few in your cooler. This is a ver easy drinking brew. I will defiately be looking for more to age. (546 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Nice little treat for 'new beer sunday.' Poured from a little 33cL bottle, and before I could even think about what it looks like, the aroma practically fills the room. A sweet smell that contains leather, sherry, a touch of tobacco, a hint of bananna, fruitiness; stick my nose deep in the glass and the smells get even richer, maltier, slightly chocolatey, jammy, and either raisins or plums.
Whoa.

Anyway, it poured a browned color with burgundy undertones and an off- white head that means serious business. Beautiful lacing on the glass.
The taste is really something. A little sweeter than I expected, but balanced perfectly. Spicy and rich maltiness prevail. Less of that jammy stuff on the nose, but I can taste a little roasted stuff (like burnt marshmallows) and that leather again (a good thing).

Feels wonderful in the mouth. Tingles a little in the mouth and feels rich and smooth. If not for a slight throatburn, I would not be able to predict the alcohol content. Again, balanced nicely. So easy to drink this. Oh, my poor pocketbook.

Overall, really and extraordinary beer. I wish there was a ranking for "balance," because this one would be an easy 5. On the sweet end of the spectrum, but never crosses the line. I really can rave about this one. Like it a bit better than the 10. A must try for anyone interested in the style. (1,357 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Bottle tasted was about 7 months old (if best-before date is 5 years after bottling).

Pours a dark brown, looks murky even though I kept the yeast in the bottle when pouring. About 1 cm head (in Orval glass) that stays for a while. Lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

Smell is toffee, malty, milkchocolate. Nothing too heavy.

Taste: wow, reminds me a lot of chocolate flavoured soy icecream. Sweet, lots of cocoa and some malts/cake taste. Creamy. Then some tutti-frutti, at least the dried plums and apricots, after that a light bitterness. There's a lot going on, and the flavours complement eachother really well. After a bit of warming up in the glass there's a lots more fruit, and the chocolate fades a bit to the background. Aftertase is fresh, slightly bitter and more soy icecream.

Mouthfeel is really enjoyable. Just thick enough, creamy, and with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Despite the 9.2% of alcohol and the darkness of the beer, this is remarkably fresh and balanced, while still very complex. The best of it's kind I've had by far. (1,070 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Poured fom a 330 mL bottle into a snifter glass. Bottle code is 220414 - indicating a bottling date of April 2009.

A - Pours a deep brown with hints of amber eeking through. Has a finger or two of very light tan head that lasts literally forever. Little bits of sediment float around with the effervescence of this beer (even after leaving a good 1/2 inch of liquid in the bottle) Moderate lacing on the glass.

S - Amazingly rich, estery and complex. Lots of rich plum and dark berry aroma along with an earthy caramel note. Only the slightest hint of booze slips through the mele of esters and malt -- impressive considering this is a 9.2% beer.

T - Immediately sweet, dark and fruity. Has a noticeable warmth that fills the mouth and chest, but it's not overly boozy or "hot" from the alcohol. Toward the middle I get a taste of sweet caramel or brown sugar and an earthy, bready background flavor. Finishes somewhat sweet and spicy, but the hops also get into the mix with a mild bitterness. Another thing I appreciate about this expertly crafted ale is that it's so sweet and rich, yet it finishes so cleanly. Most beers this malty leave my mouth feeling like I took a shot of maple syrup. Not so with this ale. Perfect.

M - As I said earlier. For all the big, malty body that this beer has, it finishes with a clean, somewhat dry mouthfeel--almost making me want to drink it faster than I should. I'm in awe of how such a malt-heavy beer can be so drinkable and, well, not syrupy. (1,489 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

OK, LongBeachBum took the words out of my mouth on this particular masterpiece. Simply put, one of the finest beers in the world for all the right reasons. Murky brown pour with smallish off white head. Sweet and dark, fruity notes along with plenty of malt and Belgian yeasty funk, this smells wonderful. Taste is oh so smooth and so very complex, it makes it difficult to analyze. All I know, or care to know, is that this has everything I love in a Belgian dark ale and nothing else. The aromas translate well into the taste. Ridiculous drinkability, and a smooth and creamy mouthfeel that is beyond. Wow, I am truly blessed ot have been able to sample this in my lifetime. Highly recommended! (696 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Notes: Got it in the first week of April. It was in the cellar since then.

A: Light brown colored body. High carbonation resulted in big beige head but the lace was weak.
S: Fig is the thing. But there's also some hidden citrus.
T: Noticed the caramel notes, the coffee bitterness and lots of stuff I can't recognize. It's complex in tasting matters.
M: Its high carbonation gives it a smooth and creamy feeling all around your mouth. For a 9.2 ABV beer, the alcohol is almost unnoted. What an incredible beer.
O: In my personal opinion, it's awesome. By far the best beer I've ever had until this date. But I'm sure that the Trappistes Rochefort 10 that I have on the cellar will get me into heaven anytime soon. (714 characters)

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Dark brown, small one finger head fades quickly into nothingness. Murky dark brown color that prevents any light from penetrating.

S - Sweet roasted malt, Fig, and ripe bannanas. I also get the faintest hint of chocolate and sweet sappiness.

T - Really complex. Phenols and spiciness up front that play vigoursly but never overwhelm. Big malt flavors follow going from molasses to brownies, toasted bread to mild coffee. Fruitiness like figs and apricot along with vanilla with a slight earthiness also.

MF - Full bodied with a dry clean finish. Velvety smooth, creamy malt mouthfeel, but not too heavy.

D - A rich beer. The ABV is masked very well. Dangerously drinkable. (724 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Bought a bottle of this from the Tobu department store in Ikebukuro, Japan. Poured into a Rochefort goblet. Beautiful, mystical dark brew with the abysmal bubbles common to high-quality Belgian strongs bubbling up from the bottom. However, I didn't see the same alcohol rim as I saw on the 10 in this one. The smell is so intoxicating and invigorating as you pour this out, especially into the wide-brimmed goblet. The taste was superb with dark berries and cherry, and the 9.2% comes through beautifully in a warming way. I can only lower this ranking because I have the 10 to compare it to. This is an outstanding beer, and I recommend it for anyone with an advanced enough palate to really enjoy it. (702 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Bottle pored into a Trappist Rochefort Chalice.

Dark brown color with very little head that disappeared quickly. Slightly sweet carmel taste. The taste became sweeter and fruitier as the beer warmed to nearly room temperature. Extreemly easy drinkability. This is my favorite Trappist beer (thus far).

I would drink this more often if I could afford to. (356 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Appearance is a hazy brown with a billowing tan head. There are nice snap-crackle-pop sounds while I wait for the gorgeous head to fall a bit so I can pour more. Surprisingly, almost no lacing is left on the glass. Scent is wonderfully complex - lots going on here, but I'm picking up toffee, raisin, maybe a little plum. A tasty malty sweetness (caramel, raisin, plum) comes through strongly, with a slight touch of bitterness in the finish to balance it out. It all fits together perfectly. A mild alcohol taste began to come out more as it warmed. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, chewy, and absolutely sublime. Just an outstanding beer. (634 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

This beer is bliss in a glass. I often forget how a good Belgian pours such a huge fluffy head, wow! There is a big fruity profile in both the aroma and the taste, like dried fruits. I detect plums, raisins, and figs with a bit of fresh sweet cherries thrown in and the whole thing is wrapped in a caramel coating and baked like some kind of old world dessert.
Great beer but between the availability, price, and abv I don't think I can rate this as an exceptionally drinkable beer, but highly recommended. (507 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

According to the bottle date this is about 2 years old. The age has done no harm to this bottle.

Hazy, red-amber colour with a creamy tan head. Good head retention.

Amazing aroma. Lots of cotton candy, peaches, lemon and lime candy. Slightly spicy with an almost cola note. I don't give 5s easily but this is right there for me.

Smooth and malty flavour with nice Belgian candy sugar and caramel malt notes. There's a touch of breadiness too. The same fruity sweetness from the aroma comes through. The alcohol is very well hidden. I really like this.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation. It works well and assists the flavours to shine but is still a touch prickly for me.

The flavours here are just about perfect and the beer really shows it. This is a pleasure to drink and one of the best crafted Belgians I've had. (839 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Round 5 of the 9-Round Trappapooza/Trappaganza '06 with expatsteve.

Pour: a black-hole burst from opaque and murky in the middle to ruby/garnet along the perimeter under an inch or rocky oatmeal cookie foam.

Nose: lavender/lylac perfume, spicy nuts, brandy raisins and plum wine.

Taste: the roasted yeasty malt body of Chambly Noire comes to mind at first sip, followed by deep, sweet fruits, peaty smoke, chicory, brandy raisins, and sourdough bread.

Feel: medium body, yeasty grit, boozy vapors singe the nostrils.

Drinkability/Overall: amazing "sneaks up on you" development from dark, roasted yeast and floral notes to rich, sweeter fruit and liquor. The big winner of Trappapalooza/Trappaganza '06, knocking off his big and little brothers and a host of other Trappists for the crown. (804 characters)

A-brown, opaque, tiny bubbles, thin head, poured goblet, exp. 25 08 15

S-faint chocolatey yeast

T-rich warm chocolatey malt, toasted graham crackers, clean finish with gentle but long-lingering boozy sweetness that offsets the toastiness...such a nice balance!

M-very nice gentle carbonation that increases the flavor

O-big yet balanced, warm and toasty with gentle notes of flowery sweetness...awesome. Dangerous! (418 characters)

33cl Bottle

Pours a rich dark brown with a reddish brown head that does not fade. Lacing almost completely coats the glass.

Aroma is malty with a yeasty fruitiness. I smell a hint of cherries.

Taste is deep and malty with an amazing dark fruitiness. It finishes slightly sweet and fruity, but really rather clean. I don't detect any alcohol. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel is full and rich and extremely smooth.

I don't want to stop drinking this. Why did I only buy only one bottle? Oh yeah, because they're $7.... Bummer... What a treat! (556 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a bottle, cellar temperature (about 60 degrees).

Appearance - perfect. rich color, perfect foam

Smell - subtle carmel and citrus tones. Smell balanced between malt and hops.

Taste - magnificent. Carmel malt taste is slightly dominant but well balanced by citrusy hops. Starts rich and a little sweet and ends with a nice spicy edge. Surprisingly there is a bit of carbonation in the ale that creeps up on you, but very balanced. There is a lot of complexity here in flavors and texture. I have the feeling that I could drink this Ale for years and not get tired of it.

Mouthfeel - very good. Thick, with the foam subtle but ever present, and a touch of carbonation.

Drinkability - outstanding. The great qualities of this Ale are subtle. One does not tire that easily.

Overall, you can do a lot worse, and maybe not much better, in a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. (878 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Beautiful deep amber color with a somewhat quickly diminishing fluffy head. Very hazy/cloudy. Not a hint of light passes through this biere. Smell is like nectar of the gods, yeast, honey, fruity. The taste is wonderful-fruity and yeasty and somewhat sweet. I guess I am feeling dates or raisins and maybe pears in this. Mouthd=feel is medium bodied. I would have expected more from the pour but it suits the beer. Drinkability is fine considering the high ABV. I guess this beer is good until May 5, 2015 at 3:05 PM.
Update, I have compared this with 5 of 7 of the Trappiste ales and I can't say anything is close, yet...
That's what it seems to say on the bottle... (667 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer pours a dark brown with a slight reddish tint. A lovely creamy off-white head sits atop the body. Head gradually settles down to a thin coating across the surface of the beer that lasted as long as the beer did. Nice lacing, even in a tulip. Aroma is caramel, chocolate, cookies, some berries and dark fruit. Mostly sweet nose, but some roasted notes. Slight aroma of alcohol as well. Initial flavor is moderately sweet, cookie dough, milk chocolate, caramel, toffee, candi sugar, figs, and raisins. The flavors compliment each other quite well and are very balanced. The beer ends with warming alcohol, and a medium length, dry finish. This has an incredible mouthfeel, round, filling, very smooth and creamy. Lively carbonation dances on the tongue. Wonderfully complex, but without the hot alcohol that ruins the 10. (829 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Just had this with dinner and it was Amazing. Thick, lustrous head with a dark red-walnut coloring. The smell is complex, ranging from yeasty bread to dried fruit. The taste is supple and deep, assaulting you with crusty bread, dates and raisins, apples, chocolate, caramel, bananas, and everything else you'd expect in a great dubbel. The mouthfeel was almost perfect, and still fantastic. This is a great one, and not too expensive either. Get it. (449 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8
11.2 oz brown bottle
080311 - 07:50
Served in a Chimay goblet

Pours a deep chestnut brown with a puffy head on top.

Whiffs of blended malts with a touch of prunes and figs.

Ultra soft mouthfeel with a prickly carbonation underneath. Flavors are complex with hints of caramel, dark fruits and cinnamon spice. Respectable hop snap on the finish.

Extremely well crafted and a gem of a Trappist ale. So enjoyable and fulfilling. Phenomenal drinkability level. Recommended. (508 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort