Microbrew Invitational

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001

Reviews: 1,876 | Ratings: 5,114
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Small brown Euro bottle. This one has been in my fridge over year. Best for date of 020504.

Another deep brown pour, no light penetrating its outer layer. Small tight tan head. Bottle swirl produces a thick, tan, yeasty leftover flavors to settle on the head.

Smells are what you would expect, except perfectly balanced and finished. Nice sweet rum soaked cherries, plums. Hints of earthy figs and sweet molasses. All dance around your nose and tease your tastebuds.
Flavors are super smooth and everywhere. Rum soaked cherries again. Rich juicy plums and figs. Sweetness and spicy goodness melt over your tongue. Nice noticable heat of abv brngs you back and begs another drink. This taste yeilds another rich creamy belgian yeast shot. Carmelized bananas, another spicy shot of alcohol. Subtle hints of toffee, cinnamon and everything else slide by your tastebuds. Unbelievable balance of flavors to this beers. Overall silky sweetness and flavors overwhelm me. Is there even a hint of chocolate in there. I wouldn't be surprised.
Medium bodied, nice fullness to it. Depth of flavors that grabs your attention. This one is to be savored. Selling at $8.99 locally but worth every penny. I would much rather savor this and keep it for a special occasion than your regular old $15 bottle of wine. Unbelievably great tasting. Who would have thought I would find so many great tasting beers in Florida ? You just need to start looking.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

It's amazing what you can find on the shelves at state-operated Utah liquor stores. I found this Rochefort Trappistes 8 bottle and I have to admit, it's the first beer of this caliber I've tasted. In short, I was floored. Amazed.

The serving bottle was understated and elegant enough (just my style...I can do without flashy labels). I unintentionally poured a huge head with this beer. You really have to pour it slowly. The liquid below the embarrassingly fluffy head poured a really attractive dark brown with just a touch of red--unfiltered. The head was a butternut tan. Beautiful, in my opinion.

The smell is complex. You're hit with a fig smell followed by fruit--dare I even say citrus? Definitely oranges. Everything is pulled together with a light woody scent.

The taste is sweet, then bitter, and then you notice strong but not biting carbonation. The most noticeable aspect of the taste isn't the individual facets of it, but the way that the flavors work together to create a full, creamy, and utterly natural taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and even.

Drinkability for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale is a relative thing, as you don't exactly go knocking ten of these down during the big game. It's a sipping beer (the alcohol content requires it), but I'm sure I could sip it all night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: I'm biased, I love beer that looks like this. When held up to the light it's a vibrant, deep, red, with a nice creamy tan lacing on the top.

Smell: Big hit of sweet malt, brown sugar, molasses, apricot and alcohol.

Taste: A nice fruitiness upfront fades into the big sugary malt, alcohol warms your face, and the minimal hop character or something else cleans it up like magic leaving me dry and wanting more.

Mouthfeel: Small bubbly smooth carbonation, juicy, a little syrupy, but it dissolves and dries up, seems to leave a little bit of a coating in the mouth.

Drinkability: Delicious, big and sweet, almost enough sugar to make me want something more bitter or spicy, but it's the style. Very well done, a favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a dark beer boys and girls. A big, plumpy off white head sitting atop this monster. The nose is very cool with dusty chocolate, bread, raisins and a fair kick of prunes. A little sip reveals a massively complex mix of chalky, chewy, malty, baked bread and prunes again. Quite dry, low carbonation. This is the real deal. I friggin love this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful pour, thick head that remains throughout entire glass with noticeable lacing. Dark brown in color. Slightly sweet taste of raisin and plums. Very easy drinking for such a high alcohol content. Drinks much smoother than it looks. Wonderful beer that only improves with time if you have the self-discipline.

A beer haiku for you:

"Rochefort, oh so fine!
Standard bearer for the ale;
Drink one and be blessed".

Without doubt, one of the world's finest ales. More difficult to find than even a year or two ago, but if you see one or two 'pounce': the price is worth the enjoyment that you will receive from this beauty.

Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It was about time to review this brew - it is simply one of the best I've ever had. Enjoyed this in the Trappist Rochefort chalice, which does really enhance this brew.

Pours a cloudy brown with a significant amber hue. Certainly opaque, but with a nice bit of brightness. Perfect 2cm of head that fizzles and is just a little off white. Head remains for the entire drink, with nice lacing. Nose is "delicious" as I say or "smells like happy" like my fiancé says. Also includes a great bit of brown sugar and a sweet maltiness.

Taste is much like the nose - great. Excellent balance of brown sugar, light hints of dark fruits, dark chocolate, and other excellent flavors. The key here is a balance that makes this beer all it's own. Medium mouthfeel that is super smooth. Hard to tell this has high ABV, but that ad price affects the drinkability.

I love the Trappist brews, but this one is definitely my favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deeper in color than its younger sibling, Rochefort 8 presents itself as a dark red beer with a finger-thick creamy head. Persistent with a decent lace, though surprisingly not as much as the 6. The aroma, however, is far richer, with a solid base of roasted, coffee-like malt, hints of fig and vanilla, and a slight alcohol nose. The alcohol is also much more noticeable in the flavor – it’s actually almost a bit overpowering in the first sip. The second sip, however, is much kinder. Bready flavors dominate, with a sweet malty flavor showing up first, followed by dark fruit, and finally a lovely bittersweet chocolate finish. A bit spicy throughout as well, perhaps ginger? As the beer warms, the alcohol mellows to a gentle peppery flavor which blends nicely into the overall flavor profile of the beer. Fuller in mouth and dryer in finish than the 6; Rochefort 8 is a really splendid beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best before is 21/04/15, which I understand makes the bootling date April 21, 2010.

Beer is a beautiful dark brown, with reddish hues. The tan head was about a finger-width but disapated very quickly to leave a small film on top.

Smell is wonderful, and includes dark fruit such as plum, caramel and malt.

The taste- amazing. Sweet malt, lightly spiced dark fruits, and a bit of a boozy finish. It is a very "warm" taste (not just in an alcohol sense), and very full. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. I like minimal carbonation in my beer, and this one is slightly (but only slightly) too bubbly for me. However, generally it is wonderful. Nice and full.

Drinkability? Very high. Sure, this is a strong beer. However, if I obeyed only my mouth and taste buds, I would drink this all day long. My main concern would be that I would cease appreciating it very quickly!

Fantastic beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown, with a nice 1 finger caramel head. Looking forward to trying this one for the first time. It looks almost as good as the 10, maybe .5 off. Great smelling beer too- raisins, figs, fruit, spice, malt and alcohol come into play. Very similar to the 10 in smell if I remember correctly. The taste of this beer is exceptional- all the smells come into play here. Nice malt backbone, and everything is blended perfectly. Truly one of the better beers I've experienced. I'll have to have this and the 10 side by side at some point. Mouthfeel is amazing- Just right for this beer. All in all, a world class beverage- looking forward to trying this one again next to the 10.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this ale w/ me!poured from the 11.2 oz into a corsendonk christmas glass.

A - A turbid cocoa brown from inclusion of bc yeast. The head is wispy - a small 1/2 inch w/ a very tight bead.

S - A fantastic fig w/ nutty creamy and spiced cake aroma. The scent is light w/ chocolate and caramel w/ very subtle aromas of alcohol and vanilla bean

M - A sweet malt like dessert w/ dry spiced notes and a creamy yeast feel which is smooth and the layers are all blended w/ grace.

T - A caramel smoothnesss w/ sweetened nuts, toffee and a light honeyed fruit flavor. There is spice and breadiness like a moist bread pudding w/ chewy dark malt and finishes dry w/ a slight hop taste which is herbal and compliments the sweetness of the ale.

D - A great Belgian trappist ale, superb quality and flavor w/ a deep fruit and complex malt that makes the 9.2% seem like half that. I would savor this repeatedly - Outstanding drinkability

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer positively frothed out of the bottle to form a big head topping a very deep dark brown body. The nose is subdued fruit notes and old leather. The taste is truly remarkable; complex earthy body with a dryish finish. The plummy flavours taste aged and regal. This is a beer that can stop you dead in its tracks by its bigness and complexity. Freakin brilliant.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a tulip: Dark, murky brown pour that blew up in the glass with a huge head, may be due to the aggressive pour. No lacing. Dissipated to an interesting ring of foam on the circumference with a big dot in the middle. Smells heavenly of spicy bread and dates. Alcohol presents itself right away and then yields to the sugars and earthy twigs. Malt. Banana and dried fruit sit on the tongue and frolic in the bubbles of the ultra dense carbonation that this brew displays. Tantalizingly smooth feel with a chewy sour bite on the jaw. Really well made. This is a bargain at $5. Can't wait till my next one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pous a chocolate color with lots of carbonation. There is quite a lot of yeast in the bottom of the bottle so thank goodnes I was paying attention. The carbonation quickly escapes the beer, forming a huge tan head of foam. As the drink is quaffed, the head receedes leaving behind a lot of lace. The flavor and aroma are both very complex. I don't even know how to properly define the flavors. A beer like this makes a person want to get trained in sensory analysis. The beer is quite heavy with a good creamy and warming sensation as it goes down. This is a very good beer!

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

A- Beige head on top of a murky body with floating sediment throughout. Wonderful looking beer.

S- Malts, sweets, dark fruit.

T- Oh how good it is. Belgian yeasts and sweet dark fruit just as the smell. Malty caramels. These monks know what they are doing over there in Belgium.

M- Has a medium thick creamy texture that is just as smooth as ever.

D- Very.

Bouteille de 33 cl.

Bière brune opaque offrant une mousse veloutée et persistante. Apparence quasi-irréprochable.

Odeurs chocolatées et fruitées. Certains arômes de gâteau sont aussi perceptibles.

En bouche, la Rochefort 8 est impresionnante. Un sucré agréable mais pas trop présent est immédiatement perceptible. Des goûts de fruits (figue, prune?) sont ensuite mêlé à une agréable pointe chocolatée. Excellent !

La Rochefort 8 dissimule à merveille son % élevé d'alcool. Bière hors du commun.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark murky brown with a decent 2finger golden brown head.

S: Fruits, spices and malts.

T: Complex! Fruity at first (fig) malty and spicy yeast like.

M: Medium body with fair amount of carbonation.

O: Excellent! I prefer the 10, but this is a fine example of the Trappistes style! It's going on my list of favorites and a to buy anytime i see it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a snifter. pours a cloudy mahogany with a slightly tan head that drops rather quickly, but not all the way. Decent lacing. Sweet malty nose that has a sharp prune aroma. The high alcohol is definitely in the nose as well, with a hint of cinnamon. Highly carbonated and a little rough on the first sip. Raisins and prunes are the first thing I get from this, followed by a ton of spices. I also get baked apples and pears from this as well. Feels outstanding to drink this. I love trappist beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been in a "Belgian" mood lately. My buddy recommended the Rochefort 10, but all the store had was the 8. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

The slender bottle unleashes a beautiful brown ale with carbonation all over the place. The brew fits nicely into my Flat Earth goblet. A tremendous fluffy off-white head crowns this brew. It lasts forever. I let the beer sit for about 20 min to warm up and the head is still an inch and fluffy. The next perception is the wonderful aromas present. You do get a faint aroma of alcohol, but this quickly mixes with brown sugar and a indicipherable fruitiness. The fruitiness is complex and I can't quite put my finger on the fruits present, but they are sure nice. There is a bit of spiciness present as well.

The flavors are an extension of the aromas. A light alcohol taste hits you initially. This is followed by the soft sweet taste of the malts. I taste dark sugars and fruitiness reminiscent of raisens. There is some mild spiciness from the hops and a slight yeastiness. Very complex flavors, many of which that I cannot even begin to pinpoint. The important thing is that they all blend together in the taste to give you a malty sweetness, followed by a mild fruitiness and ending w/ a soft spicy note. The mouthfeel is spot on with a medium body and a smooth finish. This beer just belongs in the mouth.

Definitely a "wow" beer. This is another reason why Belgium is the Disneyland of beer. THe number 8 shows us how complex beer can be. I would definitely like to enjoy another, however $5.50 for one beer is a bit steep for me. I will have to pick it up again some other time however. I would say this is a definite "must-have" for any beer lover.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The classic. Yet another beer I love that I'm finally getting around to reviewing. Out of my Chimay chalice.

A - lovely deep brown; thick, luxurious off-white head

S - dark fruit, spice, sweet malt, hints of alcohol

T - again, dark fruit, bits of spice, hints of sweet malt, alcohol comes in at the end; just completely and totally lovely

M - fairly solid body, good carbonation of course

D - Rochefort...one of the greats! Of course the drinkability is great! I'm sure we'd all drink this more if we could afford it, and for those of you who can, I envy you! If you haven't had this get to it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my inaugural pour for my new Chimay goblet, not exactly the fanciest of goblets but my first. I will admit that the beer looked much better than Belgians usually do in my tulip glass. This is somewhat off-topic, but I wasn't a believer in glassware until now. At any rate, this beer pours a beautifully dusky brown with a calm head. It's a nearly idyllic looking in the goblet. The beer looks substantive and earthy, like something that would be drunk at great feasts. The nose is wonderfully Belgian. There is some alcohol presence, which mostly serves the complex smells of fruits and malt. The taste is a highly refined caramel with an array of bitter and sweet fruits. It's a wonderful beer that deserves its reputation. It's certainly a heavyweight even in a style this competitive. The feel is lush and velvety, and I could chew on this beer all night.

Serving type - bottle

Appearance - very dark brown, super 3 inch+ creamy head

Smell - Spices, malts, barley, honey and sugar. Some carmel and hops even

Taste - Tastey! SMooth, spicey and very easy to drink. These malts are very special, and all the spices really set this beer apart from the rest. I really taste carmal with every drink. This is the Apex of beers, wow.

Mouthfeel - Sweet and smooth. Its a liquid desert in a bottle. Basically this is a treat for your mouth, tounge and pallet. Your mouth tickles from the sugars and malts. You cant get another drink fast enough!

Drinkabilty - I could drink this daily but, no way i should cause i would be spoiled from all other beers. This aint the insane quad 10 that rochefort makes but its right behind it. World class, only 10 is above it

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from the light brown bottle much like the one pictured above. Purchased at McNaulty's Bier Markt in Cleveland, Ohio a few days ago. Poured into a clean, clear glass.

A As I poured I noted some sediment going into the glass and sure enough checking the bottom of the glass I can see a pinch of dark sediment there. This beer has a presence in the glass. A deep, thick brown body which one cannot see through. I just got up and held the glass to an intense light and noticed two new things: 1) the body is actually a deep brown amber in intense light and that 2) sediment is not just on the bottom of the glass but also floating around in an even distribution. Light brown 2 finger head which remained there for about 4 minutes after I poured it.

S Strong, malty, earthy amber smell. Very inviting.

T Malty, little hops, alcohol late mid taste and a very pleasing malty after taste. There is some sweetness but not a frank sweetness, more like a molasses sweetness. This is some great stuff!

M Full but not to any extreme. Primary mouthfeel is malty goodness.

D High alcohol means that I cannot drink too many of these. Still very interesting and drinkable because of it.

Notes: I had read about this beer and considered calling a distributor to see about ordering it. I was delighted to see that it is for sale at the Bier Markt. I learned about the Bier Markt here at BA. Thanks to all of you for that type of information. Addendum: Since writing this I found Rochefort at World Wines and Liquor in Mentor for $4.99 a bottle. It was more than that at Bier Markt.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a Rochefort goblet.

A: Dark brown pour with burnt siena hues. Fine-bubbled tan head retains at a half inch in the wide-brimmed glass. Thin slip of lacing slides back down into the glass, leaving a thin ring behind.

S: Molasses, dark spiced rum, brown cocoa, roasted nuts, fruit cake. Suggestions of plum, blackberry, and fig. Dusty and musty yeast and a lot of yeasty spice. Tobacco/herbal dimension too. Hugely complex nose.

T: Rummy, molasses, rich and sticky fruit cake. Roasted nuts. Cocoa. Fruity notes of plum, blackberry, fig, and even some lighter pear tastes brieflly. Tangerine comes out after a while too. Musty yeast. Yeasty clove-like spices. Herbal undertones. Alcohol is stiff and serious. Drying finish of fruitcake, brown sugar, and dried herbs.

M: Medium heft, rich malt textures are velvety smooth and not sticky at all. Carbonation is very active and scrubs gently but thoroughly and provides a lot of lift at the same time. It seems to evaporate off of the palate. Soothing warmth from the alcohol.

O: As close to perfect as it gets. A captivating beer in all respects. Ponder its complexity sip by sip for a most rewarding experience. By far my favorite in the Rochefort lineup, though the 10 seems to overshadow it in popular opinion.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Amber dark brown with 2 inch off white head. Lots of sediment

S - Dark fruits, toffee, caramel

T - like eating a Caramelo, chocolate and caramel falvors dominate and finishes with a creamy taste. Can taste slight alcohol but it is well balanced in with the flavors of the beer. It is masked very well

M - Medium body with lots of carbination. Not sticky or chewy. Went down very well and smooth

D - It a bit pricey but very worth having a few in your cooler. This is a ver easy drinking brew. I will defiately be looking for more to age.

Trappistes Rochefort 8 from Brasserie de Rochefort