Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Wonderful ruby brown trappist beer. The beige head is a little thin but with good lacing. The aroma is a symphony of dried fruit, banana and spices. A flavour of plum caramel and a hint of chocolate. Medium o full bodied. Fine balance between sweet malt and alcohol. Very tasty.

HotHabanero, Mar 03, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Deep mahogany, elegant but relaxed bubble rise. Rich, foamy white head.
Plum /raisin aroma; full and deep with a bready background.
Smooth plum/bread flavor, immediately expands across the tongue and through the nose. Mile alcohol follow through. Perfect.
Medium mouthfeel, coats the tongue without being too thick. The flavors linger and expand in a subtle way.
The delicious flavors without excessive sweetness makes this very drinkable. I can't imagine ever turning one down.

bgraney, Mar 05, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Oh how happy I was to find this in a great beer store not too far from where I live...I've got the Rochefort 6 sitting there beckoning me as well, but this one called to me first. I must say, I like this one better than the more highly prized Rochefort 10.

The appearance is a turbid, cloudy brown, with plenty of yeast at the bottom. Superb off-white lace all around the glass and is going nowhere. Head retention is superb as well. Twenty minutes and counting.

Smells very similar to Rochefort 10 - some pine, citrus, and hidden phenols.

Taste is truly exceptional - tastier than its more alcoholic sibling. This is like the hotter younger sister, one might say. Spiced apples, hops are barely distinguishable, and are overshadowed by the powerful malty flavor. Make sure you taste the vanilla flavor all the way down your trachea.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated at first, very very smooth on the way down, slightly chewy due to the yeast, but wholly satisfying every second.

If they had this on tap anywhere near here, I'd probably lose my job. Nice job, Rochefort Trappistes...

raoulduke37, Feb 11, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into my beautiful Rochefort chalice.

A: A 1/4 inch light tan head forms over the deep brown colored brew with dark red undertones. Very thin lacing on the glass. A very thin layer of head remains over the beer throughout contributing to the silky smooth texture.

S: Mild alcohol along with some fruits such as figs and cherries and bananas.

T: I struggle to contemplate all the wonderfully complex flavors in this amazing beer. The malts dominate the palate in the form of chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, figs, and dark bread. There are also some faint spices as well. An excellent amount of sweetness, just there but it doesn't overwhelm. Damn, I wish I was a poet so I could more accurately describe this masterpiece.

M: Silky smooth, slightly creamy. It overwhelms the palate with its delicious complex flavors.

D: The 9.2% alcohol is virtually indiscernible. Mellow yet incredibly flavorful and complex. Very easy to drink. It might be the best Belgian beer that I have yet to try. Absolutely phenomenal.

willjschmidt, May 24, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Reddish-orange in color with a large, foamy head. The head dropped after a while, but thick lacing all the way. Bits of yeast slide out at the end.

Great scents, citrusy grapefruit combined with dark fruits. Hints of alcohol, honey and vanilla, but all fairly subtle. Well-blended, it took me a lot of effort to pull out scents, but wonderful nonetheless.

The taste in incredible. All of the citrus and dark fruit I smelled. Lemons, grapefruit, raisins, plums, dates, caramel, molasses, vanilla, ginger, brown sugar, honey and such a soft alcohol and hops presence that wipes the palate for the next sip.

Highly carbonated, but also very smooth and light bodied, which I usually don't like so much, but this is amazing. Highly, highly drinkable.

dogger6253, Mar 25, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

A beautiful, beautiful beer, probably the best Trappist I can find in Singapore.

A: Pours a rich, deep brown into a goblet glass with little head and no lace. In fact this was the 'worst' part of this beer because pretty much everything else about it was exceptional.

S: Warm, rich smell of charcoal, candy and some cinnamon, and lots of wholegrain bread. I almost detected butterscotch and shortbread. The complexity of smells is simply amazing.

T: This is easily one of the best tasting beers in the world. For a beer that packs 9.2% of alcohol it tastes of everything else but alcohol. It tastes a lot of shortbread and rye bread with hints of butter. Imagine a rich, well spread meal with lots of starchy foods. No wonder the monks call this 'liquid bread' because it tasted of pumpernickel, rye bread and brezel. I Was just blown away by the taste. As my friend put it, 'my tongue just had an orgasm tasting this beer'.

M: For a beer this strong it was exceptionally smooth. If it didn't cost S$18 a bottle I would have easily downed a few of these.

D: Do I even need to say anything at this point?

Overall: BEAUTIFUL. Simply BEAUTIFUL. A spectacular, world class Trappist that you know right from the first sip, that this beer is a labour of love by the Trappist monks. I raise my half-empty glass to them in respect.

bala747, Aug 30, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Note: This beer has been aging since August 2003, so any variations of flavor are as a result of its age.

The Rochefort 8 pours a dark brown, earthy color. The head was very vibrant and rose quickly to a full, fluffy tan. The beer looks wonderful.

The aroma is fruity and quite spicy, reminding me of spiced rum. The taste is just incredible. At 9%, this beer is incredibly smooth. The flavor is sweet with very little alcohol burn.

I normally wouldn't give a beer with a 9% ABV a perfect mouthfeel score but this one is excellent. It's excellent in so many areas, I'm not sure how it could be improved.

This beer is delicious, maybe too delicious for a brew so potent.

kindestcut, Jun 04, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

had this at my local spot last night during a short session trying some of the belgians on their list that I hadnt tried or had forgotten. Holy cow did this one stand out!

The smell was a little subdued at first but it was served a little too cold. Once it warmed it really opened up. The taste was incredibly complex with Belgian sweetness weaving in and out of a host of other flavors

Typically, the high ABV would temper my drinkability rating but honestly, this stuff was so drinkable that its dangerous.

A true revelation for me I will be coming back to this one again and again.

brushtachio, May 28, 2008
4.89/5  rDev +12.9%

A truly wonderful beer. Only Chimay Grand Reserve would get my nod over this for the style. And that would be a close call.

Wobbly, Dec 04, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

My poor pour resulted in a suspension of yeast that clouded the dark bronze beer, it's a good thing I like yeast! A nice pillowy two-finger head topped off the chalice and dissipated slowly.

I nosed a slight smoky malt mixed with a wonderful spicy-raisin-plumb aroma, typical of the other Rocheforts I've enjoyed.

As it warmed up, I noticed the increasing buttery-malt flavor with floral yeast undertones, eventually turning to more of a toasty flavor with hints of honey.

A great Trappist to enjoy late in the evening while you unwind from a long day.

Sidedrummer, Mar 16, 2008

Served in Bordeaux glass--
A-Poured very smoothly and formed thick head that endured several minutes before dissipating into thin spots on the surface, like little patches of mold that form on bread. Deep amber and rust color.

S-Raisins and tobacco, fig, cocoa, mocha, earth, malt, prune, light hops, toast, caramel...this is a veritable bouquet of sensations.

T-Light and clean with pleasant suds, malt and hops are in perfect harmony, and bitterness is reminiscent of a tasty French roast. Body marries well with flavors, but is deceptively light for its abv. Aftertaste is slightly bitter mocha, and a thin, sweet estery coating lingers on the inner cheeks, tongue, and roof of the mouth. Delightful.

M-This Trappiste is well-balanced, and it remains so at every moment of consumption.

D-One of my favorites for reasons noted above, and for the fact that it's textures are a perfect match for its flavors at every stage. Drinking this beverage inspires a complete appreciation of its masterful chemistry, and makes me feel good.

BoitSansSoif, Jan 24, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a murky brown with a 2 inch tan head that quickly recedes to a thin lace. Noticeable sediment at the end of the pour. A divine complex sweet smell not quite as strong as molasses, but more noticeable than brown sugar. Hints of nutmeg maybe, or cinnamon. Maybe figs. The mouthfeel is sharp and bubbly, but very nice with a slight warmth. The taste is sweet and sticky like dark sugars and cream with dark fruits and a slight nuttiness. Even at 9.2%, this beer is remarkably easy to drink and making a very good case for being my favorite beer.

jlmarshall, Sep 30, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

33 cl bottle coded 141216. Aroma of caramel malts, raisins and dark pitted fruit. Taste is highlighted by molasses, raisins, candi sugar, brown sugar, slight cola. And of course that lovely rochefort trademark yeast esters. Delicious, beautiful, no abv noted on taste. A classic.

KickbacksSteve, Feb 28, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a very nice 2 finger fluffy tan head.

The scent is of various fruits, roasted malt, spice and alcohol.

The taste is of roasted malts, banana and other fruit, alcohol, bread, spices, notes of licorice and coffee.

Medium bodied, smooth and a little creamy, moderate carbonation.

One of the best beers I've ever had easily, there was so much to taste and all perfectly balanced. This was also a very easy drinker.

BeerCon5, Feb 18, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Nice thick, foamy, tan colored head that clings to the sides. Dark brown colored beer.

Smells of dark fruit, fig, hops, and a slight touch of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is smooth as butter and has a buttery feel along your tongue. The taste is of cherry, figs and a perfect blend of hops and malts.

Very drinkable, especially for the amount of alcohol involved. The fruitiness and the alcohol content might get to you over long sessions. But this is a wonderful beer and I'd love to try a long session with it.

jar2574, Sep 09, 2007

sokol_1993, Sep 23, 2014

Blackoutvader, Today at 12:13 AM
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer pours to be a nice dark color. When held up to the light one can tell that it is an orange/red/brown color. It produced a moderate sized creamy looking head that quickly dissipated to a lacing and film over the top of the beer. When agitated the head becomes a little thicker. The factor that this head looks creamy really makes this beer look appetizing, The lacing also contributes to that. I also noticed when I was pouring it that there was some sediment in the bottom of the bottle, I was careful not to pour it into my glass. Not that it would hurt anything, but most people really don't want chunks of sediment in their beer.

In this beer the strongest aroma I detect is a malty one to be sure. The sweet aroma of vanilla is dominant over all other aromas of this beer. I really don't detect much of a hoppy smell at all here. The smell is easy to pick out and over all one doesn't have to work hard to smell any type of aroma this beer offers.

This brew has a complex flavor. As indicated by the aroma, most of the flavor in this beer is sweet, not much bitterness here. The first thing I taste is a sweet flavor. Its really hard to describe the overall taste of this beer but in it I do detect vanilla, and a coffee bean taste. I also detect the hops in the flavor of this beer as well, however the bitterness that they offer is short lived. I taste it on the back of my tongue right after the beer is swallowed. That taste is soon replaced by the taste of vanilla, which slides from the front to the back of the mouth, and in turn leaves a coffee bean aftertaste in the mouth. I would also like to note that now as my beer is warming up a bit more the hops become more pronounced, the bitterness is stronger, but still held in check by the overall sweet, malty flavor of this beer.

The mouthfeel of this beer is excellent. It is full bodied and fairly high in carbonation. As I have said with other Belgian Strong Dark Ales I believe that higher carbonation adds to the overall character of the beer. If there were less carbonation it might taste as if the beer were flat. The beer also leaves and oily feeling on my tongue after I have swallowed it, perhaps this is one of the reasons why the taste still lingers in my mouth for a bit (longer than most) after I have swallowed it. I would definitely buy this brew again. It is an excellent beer and is definitely one of my favorites (out of the few styles/beers I have had at this point).

becktone, Nov 10, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

I served this in a wide body wine glass at cellar temperature ~52F.

Appearance was ruddy brown (poor lighting), the beer nearly over foamed after openening.

The aroma was inviting, with hints of dark fruit and rich malt.

The flavor was very complex, always smooth with a certain softness to the flavors. It improved over the course of 30 minutes, filling my mouth more, and still seeming very light on the tongue.
After drinking one, I'd be very happy to enjoy another.

I served this next to Westmalle's 8, which was not even close to the same league.

gxm99, Mar 23, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a dark chocolate brown color with a thin beige, foamy head. Roasted malty aroma with hints of chocolate, toffee and dark fruit. Flavor once again dominated by roasted maltiness, chocolate, toast, caramel, toffee raisin, dark cherries and fig. Extremely quaffable, excellent beer.

corby112, Dec 02, 2008

HossDaddy21, Nov 15, 2014
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Served in tulip at nearly room temperature (no thermometer today).

A: Huge fluffy head, a very light pinkish brown in color. Body is a deep molasses. Quite a sight. Head settles to a thin covering.
S: Cherry flavored bubble gum, some caramel.
T: A wondrous concoction to be sure. Fennel, caramel, cherries, and some flavors that I just cannot place at the moment.
M: I had forgotten how great this felt in the mouth, perhaps unbeatable. Super creamy but not without a tangyness and carbonation to keep the tongue alive.
D: Yes yes and yes.

carpezytha, Sep 23, 2010

| Presentation |
33 cl bottle poured into an hexagonal glass:

| Appearance |
I poured this one a little too aggressive and it hit me with a 5 inch billowy head that took about a minute to dissipate. Lacing doesn't hold on to the glass very much and is gone by the time I get around to pouring the remainder of the beer. It's a swampy brown that cries, "I dare you" from its murky depths.

| Smell |
A clean phenolic smell with hints of fig and a light buttery hott like the kind that's melting off pound cake with a whiff of a sweet dark rum shot.

| Taste |
Like the Alstrom Bros say "alcohol runs the gamete" but in a perfect harmony. The flavors swim across like a swishing river of spiced cloves, hints of wild ripe bananas hanging from tropical trees mixed with a semi sweet cinnamon finish.

| Mouthfeel |
Feels like a low carbonation belgian dark trippel, dangerously drinkable for the abv!

| Drink-ability |
Well, it's about 2:30pm and I'm drinking this on an empty stomach so halfway through the glass I'm already catchin a little buzz. This one boasts a 9.2% abv and it's not kidding. It's one of those perfect beers that will keep you warm on a rainy winter day like today. Only downside is that the price has gone up from $4.99 to $5.49 for a 330ml / 11.2 oz bottle. But, if you can find one - I highly recommend it. I saw some on the shelf today and bought the entire stock. (they only had 8, go figure)

jayavery, Dec 21, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

I poured this from a bottle into a tulip. It was a dark burnt organish in color with a beautiful foam head. The appearance was really something to admire.

The smell and taste were just wonderful. It is so smooth and very drinkable. The mouthfeel was exactly what I would want in a beer.

This may be my overall favorite beer. If I could afford it, I would drink one every night.

greengorilla, Jul 24, 2009

Adventures of South Carolina Guy at Brickskeller in DC:

This is the one I was waiting for.
Poured nice and dark into a goblet, with a foamy white head. Looks perfect.

Smell is ultra-inviting. My nose isn't too keen, but the smells here are wonderful: fruits, candies, chocolates, and more. Too many and complex to discribe.

Brilliant taste. Absolutely outstanding. Extremely complex, and yet at the same time, very balanced. The presiding taste is sweetness, and I can't even begin to describe the flavors. Fruits, breads, spices, chocolates...I don't even know.

Wow. Smooth and creamy...I've never experienced a beer like this before. The high alcohol content is masked nicely. Only thing that would keep me from drinking more is the price.

bobbyc881, Jun 28, 2005