Trappistes Rochefort 8 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 8Trappistes Rochefort 8

Brasserie de Rochefort

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 8 Alström Bros
4.86/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Deep and dark brown with a light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly, except around the circumference of the goblet.

S- Rich and fruity, malty and earthy.

T- dark ripe fruit. Hints of clove

M- velvety smooth, almost creamy.

O- a delicious full-flavored Belgian Strong Ale.

delta490, Sep 21, 2013

A: Gorgeous deep orangy Brown with a big foamy head

S: Nice light smell. Spicy and sweet with no overpowering booziness.

T: The alcohol (9.2%) is hidden behind an almost light malty flavor. Sweet but with enough spice to keep it from overpowering the beer. No high in hoppiness and not too boozy.

M- Smooth as butter with enough burn to remind you that you're drinking a real beer.

D- One of the most drinkable beers over 9% I have ever tasted. Absolutely smooth and without a strong alcohol taste. Beer drinkers at all levels could drink this one with relative ease.

The world class reputation matches the flavor.

tuckevalastin, Dec 27, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

330ml bottle poured into a chalice. Bottled on June 23, 2010 (coded 230615).

A: Beautiful two finger khaki head. Slowly settles to provide a generous cap throughout consumption. Body is cola brown.

S: Whoa...very complex! Some of the best dark fruit aromas I’ve experienced in a beer. Too many to pick them out individually but they work wonderfully together. I detect some fresh berry, spices, and acetic vinegar qualities as well. Chocolate too. Makes me want to drink this very badly.

T: Wonderful. The chocolate is more evident now than it was in the aroma. The dark fruits and berries are combined to provide a full-frontal estery experience. Cinnamon provides a sense of warming comfort rather than overpowering the experience. Some roasted malt provides a bit of earthy smokiness. Finishes with a nice alcoholic touch.

M: Creamy and smooth. Body is fairly full but nothing extreme. Carb is lively...maybe a little too fizzy. Finishes a bit chalky and dry but nothing offputting.

O: I’m really impressed with this. Dubbels haven’t traditionally been my favorite style but this is a masterpiece in brewing. Crazy complex and undeniably satisfying. I will be revisiting this one many times.

mjtiernan, Jun 08, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

I poured this beautiful ale into a bulb glass and let it sit for about twenty minutes. From the first taste, this beer never let me down. Mellow feel, not too hoppy. All around strong drinkable ale. Has a darker color, and the head on mine, didn't stick around long, but other than that, if it were'nt so expensive I would buy it as my daily drink.

jaymyers, May 30, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked out this baby for my 100th review!

This was dated best before 2009.

Poured into my Goblet a dark creamy chocolate brown with a full creamy tan head that seemed to last forever.

Scent has a very nice Fruity aroma with hints of Mango and Dates along with a nice Fresh bread and Vanilla odor as well.

Taste is combination of slightly sweet maltiness with hints of caramel, vanilla, and other fruit flavors a slight bit of alcohol taste with a suprisingly nice earthy finish for a superbly balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy and full with a nice warming, truly feels as good in my mouth as it tastes.

Drinkabillity is fantastic! What an absolutly great beer, can't hardly set the glass down, has everything you want, superbly complex yet seems simply good at the same time. Perfectly balanced!

bashiba, Mar 05, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a beautiful well balanced sweet Rochefort. It is very dark amber/brown, though not opaque and has a noticeable amount of sediment floating around. Full two finger head with a solid lacing as it disappears from the glass... when you turn it up you see a nice wall of tiny bubbles (can you tell I am enjoying it?). As I poured it into the glass the head started to foam over, so I slurped the head (grow up! lol) as not to spill any (it's not cheap) and the sweetness hit me right up front with the alcohol flowing mildly several seconds later. The sweetness gives it solid mouthfeel but not too heavy a to make it unsavory in any way. This is a dangerous beer in respect to drinkability as it goes down soooo smooth and balanced that the 9.2% could easily sneak up on you! This is one of the best beers I have ever tasted - ever! Enjoy and savor it.

Choppr, Jan 08, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

I poured this 11.2 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet, and stopped pouring just after I saw the first globs of yeast enter the glass.

A: nearly opaque, fig-colored, wonderful 2-finger head floats atop the beer and falls into a persistent cap with good lacing (even the sound of the pour was exceptional!).

S: figs, raisins, caramel, cherries, pecans, faintest hint of earth, candied dates.

T: all of the fruit flavors mingle up front -- there is so much going on with this beer it hard to single out flavors - the nuttiness and sweetness hit big time in the middle, there is a plummy, raisin-like note that hits big in the middle, too, the finish is sweet and yet somehow drying at the same time, with nutmeg and clove spiciness, and there is a barest hint of grassy hop holding the finish together. I barely tasted the alcohol in this beer; this would be dangerous if it were less expensive!

M: full-bodied, luscious and creamy, moderately carbonated (perfect for the style). Perfection.

D: this is a perfect dessert beer, or perfect if you just like incredible beers! Nobody does it quite like the Belgians. This really makes me want to try a Westy.

Erish, Dec 07, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a deep, dense reddish-brown with a modest head that dissipates quickly.

Smell of sweet malt and molasses, with a wisp of dates in there.

Taste is delicious, great malty taste with complexity. Very well balanced with the alcohol noticeable in the finish.

Mouthfeel is exceptional as well, nice carbonation, just a joy to drink.

Drinkabilty great as well, again find myself wanting more.

techdiver, Feb 10, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

I bought a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 at the "systembolaget" (it's the monopoly we have here in Sweden for selling beer and such with higher than 3.5% alcohol by volume) in a neighboring town.

I poured it into a weissbier glass, probably not an ideal glass, but I had a weissbier just before (gotta get me a chalice).

The beer was dark brown with a lot of yeast and whatnot floating around in it. Looked like a blue Chimay or any other dark belgian style ale, with a foamy light tan head. The lacing was really good.

At first it smelled caramel, sweet malt and a bit spicy, and as it heated I could smell banana and coffee.

The taste was less complex compared to say a blue chimay, but very delicious and the beer felt much more creamy and well balanced. The 9.2 ABV left a little warmth in the throat but nothing else. It tasted sweet and caramelly, with hints of coffee and chocolate. It felt like a more drinkable beer than the other trappist beers of this kind I've had, but I only bought one, which I regretted afterwards. Overall I must say it's one of the better beers I've had, an absolutely awesome beer. Go get it!

Blissmo, Jun 17, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Huge amount of head after pour. Maintains good amount of head throughout that adds smoothness to the mouthfeel. Cloudy dark color. Brilliant clean, crisp taste. Dry with sweet and sour notes reminiscent of dry champagne. Very drinkable. The high alcohol level is hidden behind a very easily downed brew. Amazing!

Army, Dec 11, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

My favorite along with the 10.

This a tie with the "10" and a very good beer. Pours a pretty dark reddish-brown with a very thick and foamy beige head. Aroma of chocolate, cherry, malt and cloves. Smooth-drinking, with flavors of banana, malt, sherry and chocolate all vying for attention. Great finish, if a little carbonated toward the end for my tastes. All in all another fine effort from Rochefort.

derekmorris7, Jul 13, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This bottle spent a year in the cellar after I felt that its partner was still too young.

The pour into my 25 cL Chimay chalice raises an impressive and slow to fall head of about three fingers. It's very light tan, and leaves copious lacing. The body is a murky brown, ruby when backlit. The nose is sweet and juicy, with notes of caramel, dark fruits, pepper, yeast, and fine cigar tobacco. The taste is surpassingly smooth, sweet, and malty. It has definite peppery notes, and a lighter tobacco taste. This has a slight chocolate milk character in the finish, and some sweet berry notes. There's so much more here that I can't quite put my finger on! The alcohol is also quite well hidden. The yeast pour doesn't alter the taste for my pallette, since the dregs seems to be only a few small brown drops. The mouth is on the light side of medium, with a very smooth carbonation. This is an excellent beer, one that I'm very glad I was able to resist for a year!

mjc410, Sep 28, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This was a wonderful dark brown ale that had a one finger head... unfortunately, it was so lively that it began foaming as soon as I broke the seal of the cap, and lost a little before I was able to get the cap off.
Sampled in the St. Bernardus chalice provided by GClarkage.

Smell was complex and intriguing... sweet rich malts, dark fruits (dates and plums, mostly)... a hint of banana, as many have noted, but very far down... and the intriguing scent of milk chocolate.

The taste was likewise multi-layered. Rich malt with a slightly roasted character, chocolate and fruit... tremendous. Alcohol was nonexistent.

Mouthfeel was in-freaking-CREDIBLE... creamy, smooth, and silky. It went down SO easy, it was deceptive. You have to be careful with this one.

Drinkability I take off a little bit... mostly because of price and availability, as of the three places I know of that carry Trappistes Rochefort, only one had any of the 8.

I found this one much more enjoyable than the 6... and I look forward to trying the 10, on the next special occasion when I crack open a great one.

connecticutpoet, Jun 21, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

An 11.2 ounce bottle poured into a Trappistes Rochefort glass.

A: Color is a rich dark brown and beer forms a nice and thick head, about 2 inches. Head disappears quickly though.

S: Smells like candied sugar and toffee; it made me feel like I was about to enjoy a luscious dessert in liquid form!

T: Exceptional, just gets better with every sip. Alcohol dissipates quickly as the beer warms. Very complex synthesis of dark fruits and rich candies.

D: Definitely a sipping beer to be savoured. More than two and you're pressing your luck.

Nick3, Mar 07, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Rochefort is without a doubt my favorite Belgian producer. I can't believe I'm only now honoring this one with a formal review. Rochefort 8 is a 9.2% ABV Strong Dark Ale. It's moderately translucent color is somewhere between Sepia and Sienna, which not only is lovely, but stylistically appropriate. A fair amount of soda-like carbonation is visible within the glass, however the nearly nonexistent off-white head does not indicate this.

The array of scents coming into the nose from the aroma is incredible... Brown bread, baked apples, bananas, molasses, figs, and cloves. Decadent, yet delicate.
While tasting this complex amalgamation of flavors, it's easy to notice that at the heart of this, is a big & bready malt base. A splash of tart fruits, spices, and perhaps a hint of chocolate all join this foundation nicely. What lingers in the finish seems to be a tiny hop element, as well as earthiness and phenols. The alcohol is somewhat warming and noticeable, but I would say it is far from 'hot.' The body is not overly heavy, and in fact it feels smooth and creamy washing over the palate.

Ultimately, I would recommend this on any occasion that calls for huge grainy malt beer- it's one of the timeless, top Belgian Strong Dark Ales!

Neorebel, Tuesday at 01:07 AM

Bottle into my Duvel Tulip

A: Dark brown almost black. Thing white head that quickly dissapates

S:Cocoa, spice, yeast, plums. A very complex nose. Makes me want to just stick my nose in for a long time, but then I couldn't taste it.

T: The yeast character takes the front with a spicy, clovey, with a slight pepperyness. Then the malt background catches up with the cocoa and dark fruit character.

M: Medium body which for the ABV makes it scary easy to drink.

O: Excellent world class beer. I liked the other too Rocheforts and this one stand head to head with its peers.

Hershdawg, Jul 10, 2011

Danilod, Aug 16, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Medium shade of brown, very hazy, with a very large eggshell white head. The head is very impressive; it is creamy, fluffy, and leaves good lacing.

S: The scent is very interesting, in that it has very unique spice scents. It smells a bit like fresh sugar-cane. A bit grassy and sweet. There is a pear scent as well. Some light banana scents floating around. Very interesting.

T: A smile just shot across my face with the first sip. Tons of flavor and complexity. There's a bit of that grassy flavor, along with something that tastes a bit like cinnamon...but not cinnamon...maybe some sandalwood in there as well, as weird as that sounds. There's a rich malty flavor, but not caramel-like. Incredibly complex.

M: The mouthfeel is heavier, smooth, and very warming. Lots of carbonation that tingles the mouth like a wash of sea foam.

O: Overall I was impressed by this beer. It had loads of flavors that I don't often get to experience, or haven't experienced at all. It is definitely a sipper, because it has such a presence that commands attention with every drink. I highly recommend it to Belgian beer lovers, or people who are not afraid of uniquely flavored beers. This one is definitely unique.

teromous, Feb 09, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This was sitting in my "cellar" and I use that term loosely for several months and I just couldn't let it sit any longer. Poured it into my snifter, and it immediately sprouted a huge foamy tan head which lingered for several minutes. The body was dark brown, small bubbles about the glass and plenty of sediment at the bottom. The aroma was extremely complex, plenty of malts, over-ripe bananas, yeast and bread/biscuits, alcohol, coffee, slightly sour fruits, and a small ammount of chocolate at first which grew more intense as it warmed. I could have sat there smelling it for a lot longer.
The taste was full of carbonation at first, but hit you with alcohol and dark fruits up front. Very malty still but with a lot more yeast, almost a gingerbread-y brown sugar taste. Over-ripe bananas yes, but beyond that I didn't get the sweet or tropical fruits others seem to find.
The motuhfeel was equisite; somewhat acidic at first, but very smooth afterwards, glides over your tongue and lingers pefectly. You can almost still taste the brown sugar on you lips after every sip. There is a lot of alchol taste but you wouldn't guess 9.2 % abv. Finishes out with a completely different feel than it starts with, but each taste is complex and wonderfully balanced.
You definitely sip this beer; no, you partake in this beer. A few are more than enough. The alcohol could mess with your ability to truly enjoy all facets of this beer after 2 or 3. This is simply one of the best, if not the best Belgian Strong Darks I've ever had.

sinistrsam, Apr 10, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Rochefort 8 pours a hazy deep brown with a thick foamy head. Smell is ripe dark fruits, sweet with a lot of dark maltiness. Taste is sharp at first, giving way to a rich fruity easters. The initial sharp spiciness gives way to an incredibly smooth, rich malt flavor, perfectly balanced and deliciously complex. The alcohol is almost completely hidden. As the beer warms, the sharpness decreases and it becomes even more delicious. I think I like this beer more than the 10, it just seems more balanced to me.

ericj551, Jun 20, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Wonderful ruby brown trappist beer. The beige head is a little thin but with good lacing. The aroma is a symphony of dried fruit, banana and spices. A flavour of plum caramel and a hint of chocolate. Medium o full bodied. Fine balance between sweet malt and alcohol. Very tasty.

HotHabanero, Mar 03, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Deep mahogany, elegant but relaxed bubble rise. Rich, foamy white head.
Plum /raisin aroma; full and deep with a bready background.
Smooth plum/bread flavor, immediately expands across the tongue and through the nose. Mile alcohol follow through. Perfect.
Medium mouthfeel, coats the tongue without being too thick. The flavors linger and expand in a subtle way.
The delicious flavors without excessive sweetness makes this very drinkable. I can't imagine ever turning one down.

bgraney, Mar 05, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Oh how happy I was to find this in a great beer store not too far from where I live...I've got the Rochefort 6 sitting there beckoning me as well, but this one called to me first. I must say, I like this one better than the more highly prized Rochefort 10.

The appearance is a turbid, cloudy brown, with plenty of yeast at the bottom. Superb off-white lace all around the glass and is going nowhere. Head retention is superb as well. Twenty minutes and counting.

Smells very similar to Rochefort 10 - some pine, citrus, and hidden phenols.

Taste is truly exceptional - tastier than its more alcoholic sibling. This is like the hotter younger sister, one might say. Spiced apples, hops are barely distinguishable, and are overshadowed by the powerful malty flavor. Make sure you taste the vanilla flavor all the way down your trachea.

Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated at first, very very smooth on the way down, slightly chewy due to the yeast, but wholly satisfying every second.

If they had this on tap anywhere near here, I'd probably lose my job. Nice job, Rochefort Trappistes...

raoulduke37, Feb 11, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into my beautiful Rochefort chalice.

A: A 1/4 inch light tan head forms over the deep brown colored brew with dark red undertones. Very thin lacing on the glass. A very thin layer of head remains over the beer throughout contributing to the silky smooth texture.

S: Mild alcohol along with some fruits such as figs and cherries and bananas.

T: I struggle to contemplate all the wonderfully complex flavors in this amazing beer. The malts dominate the palate in the form of chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, figs, and dark bread. There are also some faint spices as well. An excellent amount of sweetness, just there but it doesn't overwhelm. Damn, I wish I was a poet so I could more accurately describe this masterpiece.

M: Silky smooth, slightly creamy. It overwhelms the palate with its delicious complex flavors.

D: The 9.2% alcohol is virtually indiscernible. Mellow yet incredibly flavorful and complex. Very easy to drink. It might be the best Belgian beer that I have yet to try. Absolutely phenomenal.

willjschmidt, May 24, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Reddish-orange in color with a large, foamy head. The head dropped after a while, but thick lacing all the way. Bits of yeast slide out at the end.

Great scents, citrusy grapefruit combined with dark fruits. Hints of alcohol, honey and vanilla, but all fairly subtle. Well-blended, it took me a lot of effort to pull out scents, but wonderful nonetheless.

The taste in incredible. All of the citrus and dark fruit I smelled. Lemons, grapefruit, raisins, plums, dates, caramel, molasses, vanilla, ginger, brown sugar, honey and such a soft alcohol and hops presence that wipes the palate for the next sip.

Highly carbonated, but also very smooth and light bodied, which I usually don't like so much, but this is amazing. Highly, highly drinkable.

dogger6253, Mar 25, 2007