2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,657 | Reviews: 887 | Show All Ratings:
paulaner

Germany

This by far is the best Rochefort. It is just exploding with flavour that can not be topped. The aroma is top notch only to be out done ounce you get this wonderful beer on your tongue. When I drink this one it just relaxes me and takes away from the rush of our every day life and takes you to a place you will only understand when you have been to belgium to relax. With the lower alcohol content of the other Rocheforts you can drink this one all night. But even in Belgium this one is harder to come upon but it is out there in most gertrankmarts. I highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a bursting, flavorful beer.

01-10-2005 01:27:56 | More by paulaner
chicagoabbot

11.2 oz into a snifter. If I had an endless supply of this brew, I might be content to drink nothing else. A lot of people seem to favor the trappist tripels, but for me the Roch 6 has no equal. What can I say? This murky, funky brew doesn't have the biggest nose of any Belgian, it's not the strongest, the flavor is somewhat mild...but it's perfect, the black sediment on the bottom of the snifter and the way the brown bubbles caress my tongue tell me everything I need to know...even though Russian Imperials Stouts are my favorite moreso than any Belgian, this is my absolute favorite beer, even over some of the wild lambics or my tops RIS. Roch 6 is simply a champion. Enough said; if you see a bottle, get it, you won't regret it.

12-06-2010 07:59:22 | More by chicagoabbot
acevenom

Louisiana

Bottle dated 280114. Poured from a 33 cl bottle into a chalice. It pours hazy brown due to sediment with a frothy white head. The head quickly dissipates and leaves a little bit of white head on the top. Bubbles can be seen meeting the head, indicating high carbonation. The aromas of caramel, fig, roasted malt, and Belgian yeast hit the nose. I can also detect a small amount of alcohol. The taste is sweet, but not too sweet. The flavors of caramel and fig go a long way towards covering up the alcohol content, but the faint taste of alcohol is there. The mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation and a dry finish. The carbonation prepares you for the next drink. This is very easy to drink. Overall, this is an outstanding beer.

03-14-2012 01:32:46 | More by acevenom
rhinos00

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

2004 vintage - served in tulip glass at American Flatbread in Burlington, Vermont.

A- Dark, reddish copper. Fingers width of off-white head with very nice lacing as the beer was consumed.

S- Truly smelled like the nectar of gods. Combination of sweet honey and cloves. Simply amazing.

T- Absolutely perfect. The taste was so mellow and well crafted that there is really nothing that can be improved. Up front the beer had a carbonated malt flavor. This slowly gave way to a strong, sweet finish most akin to the sweetest and tastiest of all honey.

M- Medium bodied and well carbonated, even after almost 5 years of age.

D- I cannot really explain how drinkable this beer is with some age on it. You have to try this one for yourself.

Overall, hands down one of the best tasting beers I have ever had. I was so close to giving this a perfect 5. I was told that this beer was discovered in the brewpubs basement, what a find! I urge anyone who has the chance to buy this beer to have the patience to let this age for 4-5 years. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

01-02-2009 03:37:27 | More by rhinos00
justintcoons

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

A: Pours a cloudy copper with explosive head that dissipates quickly. Low carbonation.

N: Bubblegum, caramel, candy sugar and cotton candy.

T: Follows the nose but also has a watermelon note.

M: Medium bodied, creamy and smooth.

D: Extremely easy drinkability. Absurdly delicious!

03-10-2011 01:40:18 | More by justintcoons
2Cents

Nebraska

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a bottle, aged for around 5 years, into a snifter.

A: Light brown with lots of sediment. A cream colored head with lasting lace.

S: I could smell this when I opened it: Butterscotch, caramel. dried fruits, bread dough.

T. Dark fruit, butter scotch, caramel, sour yeast, malt, horehound drops, a slightly bitter hop and a, somewhat, dry ending.

M: Moderately carbonated, quite gritty from so much yeast and a medium-thin feel.

O: I think the aging has really improved this beer, not that I don't like it when it's new. This has a delightful sourness to it, as well as a very pronounce fruit cake kind of taste. The yeast really blends nicely with all of the other flavors. This was just delightful, I wish I had more.

12-28-2013 01:39:19 | More by 2Cents
francisweizen

Arizona

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

My first beer from Rochefort! This beer pours a light, hazy brown colour with a magnificent head. The aromas are of BREAD, MALT, spices, alcohol, and faint hops. The taste is more of the same. Liquid bread! This beer also has some wonderful medicinal hop, alcohol flavors and some faint dark fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit thin as the carbonation is a bit high but it does not hurt this brew too much. Sometimes you need a lighter-bodied Belgian. The drinkability for this beer is great. I can drink it all night long, and I would if the price was right!
Cheers!
-F

04-18-2003 04:56:46 | More by francisweizen
azorie

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

OK well I found some more of this locally and online so I will re-review this.
A: I poured this from the bottle at about 40F and man what a head this thing pours like 3 inches!!! Its a cloudy medium brown beer in color.

S: ok call me crazy but it smells like a sweet iced tea to me. Sweet malt hits the nose with no hops detected at all. I can smell the yeast very nice and complex.

T: well I know why i love Belgians, so complex and in your face beers. First thing hits me is the malt and plum sweetness. Your NOT going to find any hops because the malt and yeast favors so balance it out. good stuff. the after taste is a tad boozy until it warms up near 60F. lots of grape. leather, woody flavors going on here.

M: thick and rich, no carbonation after the head dies.

D: easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol does not hit you until you throw down 4 or 5 lol

08-04-2009 22:24:38 | More by azorie
Gehrig

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Another wonderful beer from Trappistes, 6 is incredibly smooth, all too easy to consume, and rife with subtle complication. The presentation was grand, with a three-finger head blanketing a rich ruby red body. It emitted wonderful aroma and accosted the taste buds with berry, a bit of caramel smoothness, raspberry, citrus, spices such as cinnamon and to me a good deal of grape. It was quite sweet like an easy red wine, but far more mysterious and detailed. There is lots of chocolate, but also a prominent black licorice taste that makes me suspect the addition of anise. This would be so easy to quaff, but for the price and the panoply of tastes demanding slower, detailed attention. Though expensive, 6 and 8 were more than worth the try, and were among the very best I've ever had. Classifying this as a "Strong Dark Ale" might not be entirely accurate due to the taste and texture; regardless, this is magnificent, simply first-rate.

11-18-2007 04:18:51 | More by Gehrig
bowersdm

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

330mL bottle poured into a Czech Pilsner glass (the only clean glass at the time), I went ahead and poured the yeast in also.

A - looked like a nice apple cider, dark brown and cloudy. It had an enormous head, so much that it spilled over the sides on the pour.

S - mmm...fruit, apples, raisins, bread like yeast smell, alcohol, and spice. I'm not sure what spices, but they smelled amazing when they mixed with the fruit.

T - sweet fruity, spiciness, like a good fruit cobbler, malty sweetness, more spice, some hops, and then a little bit of alcohol.

M - it bordered on overly carbonated, so the excessive carbonation on the pour may have been a godsend.

D - Great. It has an amazing flavor that makes it my favorite trappist brew.

Prior this, the only trappist brew I had ever had was Orval, which I found to be too funky. I was hesitant to try other, but I took a chance. After trying all of Westmalle's stuff, Rochefort's stuff, two Chimay's, and all of Koningshoeven's ales, this is definitely my favorite trappist brew. All around, it's an amazing beer.

01-17-2009 03:30:14 | More by bowersdm
Trentonator

Kansas

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

OH MY GOD. This is truly heaven sent beer. The pour and aroma are nothing short of amazing. Smells sweet and caramel like, head is thick and white. Lacing is long lasting and the color is a beautiful mahogany brown. The taste is where this beer really shines through, it is lively with perfect sweetness on the palate. I thought a $ 6.00 bottle of beer was a bit pricey, but this is worth every penny. My new favorite beer.

04-25-2005 01:00:27 | More by Trentonator
techdiver

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a hazy, reddish brown with a modest head that dissipates quickly leaving a fine cap of foam.

Nose of sweet malt, molasses and dates.

Taste is spectacular, well balanced, yet complex. To recall from memory, can't say whether I prefer this or the Rochefort 8.

Outstanding with nice carbonation, alcohol well hidden, just a joy to drink.

Could easily put many of these away, in this respect perhaps the most drinkable Rochefort.

04-26-2007 03:27:20 | More by techdiver
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

What an excellent beer. There isn't much more that can be said that I hadn't already said about the Rochefort 8, but the smell is quite possibly even more mindblowing in this beverage.

The beer pours to a dark brown-ish plum color that allows absolutely no passage of light through. The foam is just slightly off white, producing perfect little microbubbles that leave the most beautiful lace ever.

The smell, as I've said, is absolutely incredible. If it was possible to scent my house with this beer, I would. It produces a malty, citrusy bouquet similar to most trappist ales, but much more intense. I even detected, to my surprise, the slightest hint of hops, which I also picked up on in the taste to some degree.

This beer is far less sweet than the Rochefort 8, and especially the 10. For that reason, the mouthfeel is smoother and combined with a lower ABV, it is much easier to drink. It also has less of a wine taste and more of a beer taste, which could be good or bad depending on your mood and your palate. I think this is my top trappist ale at the moment, though it is extremely close between this and the Rochefort 8. I will definately be cellaring a bottle of each, and possibly even the 10, since it might help to mellow out the flavor and balance out the strong alcohol bite.

edit: bottle expiration date reads 15-05-07, and the Rochefort website says the bottling date is the expiration date minus 5 years, meaning this particular bottle was 2002 vintage and sitting on the shelves for the past two and a half years. I must say, it was kept in damn well condition... well done, John's Grocery! I am pleased to have finally found a home for this gem... in my belly.

01-22-2005 03:06:29 | More by neonbrown82
Reinheitsgebot71

Ontario (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This one's been wiling away in my cellar awaiting my beckoning call, today that call came.

Out of the monastic bottle, with its Spartan though elegant label poured a beautiful deep red elixir. A thick off white head akin to snow covered moorland retained the entire duration, slimming down to a flat steppe.

What can I say about the bouquet on this one; simply outstanding, cherries, prunes, figs and dates all soaking in apple cider like a heavenly sangria. Candied orange peel, brown sugar and mild resin with hints of maple syrup, poured atop bready plum pudding, lit aflame giving a slight alcoholic tinge, exquisite.

First taste brought a hit of malt whiskey smoky sweetness followed by dates, caramel and burnt brown sugar. Dried fruit and vanilla mix with soft hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, folded into a yeasty bred note. Brandied cherries bring a rich, yet well hidden alcoholic feel, which lingers into the finish counterpointed by subtle balancing hops. A mainly dry finish leaves traces of complex malt sweetness and warming alcohol to ponder.
An initial foaminess melts away to a smooth drinking brew with the body of a fine whisky or brandy, extremely quaffable.

A simply outstanding beer can't say much more than that, amazing.

11-30-2009 20:28:01 | More by Reinheitsgebot71
Nattyp

Louisiana

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Bought at Local grocery Mathernes in Baton Rouge, LA. Super hot summer day that deserves a beer such as this. It's a hard find since the Rochefort 6 constitues only 1% of the beers brewed by ROchefort.
Pours a murky dead leaf brown with sediment into my tall Konig Pilsner stemmed glass. Tight bubbles and light foaming that sits nicely on top of the beer.
Aroma is spicy and figgy, very distictly Belgian.
Mouthfeel is so beautiful, very velvety smooth and consistent.
Taste is harmonious with the aroma, very nice dark fruit, fig, lots of caramel with seamless balance alongside the alcohol percentage of 7.5 abv, and acidity. delicious.
High drinkability I cannot put my glass down.
Wonderful...

06-21-2010 00:45:18 | More by Nattyp
DerekStek

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Color: A deep, rich dark maple color. A very respectable frothy caramel head.

Smell: Rich and robust aroma of fruity-malty goodness. Alcohol cannot be detected.

Taste: Astounding. A rich dark malty flavoring accompanied by a fruity and nutty complexity that just blows you away.

Feeling: Thick in texture, in accordance with the thick rich tastes.

Drinkability: I can sip on these guys all day.

12-16-2010 01:39:06 | More by DerekStek
ColForbin

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

33cl bottle with 15.05.07 best before date. Label says (in French) it is brewed with water, malt, non-malt cereals, hops, yeast and sugar.

Rochefort 6 pours a deep, cloudy brown with a thick off-white head that sticks around through the entire glass. Aroma is magnificent - sour fruit, spice and caramel. Taste is spicy (coriander, cloves), bready with a sweet and sour finish. Some port-like and dark chocolate flavors as well. A touch of bitterness in the finish as the brew warms. Slightly heavy mouthfeel with ultra-fine carbonation. An incredible brew; what a mix of flavors!

07-23-2004 00:55:08 | More by ColForbin
Conrad

Ontario (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

One of the best beers I've ever had. As most of my impressions have been described by previous reviewers, I will keep this short.
I had this one at the Pub Italia in Ottawa's Little Italy. The server gave me the goblet and the bottle so I could pour my own at my own speed. Nice move. The bar was a little too dimly lit to get a good look at the colouring, but it poured nice and rich, with a proper puffy head that had great longevity, and with beautiful lacing right to the bottom of the glass.
The aroma is rich and complex. My taste buds are not as refined as some of the other reviewers, so check their notes for the full repertoire of assorted flavours. But suffice it to say, it smells very inviting, and sets up the drink admirably.
The taste is a full bodied, big malt taste, with enough hops to maintain a proper balance. Not as sweet as the 8 or 10. Just yummy.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a surprising amount of effervescence for such a heavy looking brew. Looks can be deceiving. It has a smooth, light mouthfeel, a bit lighter than the 8 or 10.
Drinkability: Absolutely wonderful. The only thing that held me back from having another was the price. ($8.95, with tax for a total of $10.39)
This will be my special treat beer whenever I want to celebrate something.

08-25-2006 15:12:48 | More by Conrad
potownbill

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

hanks again to Dave M. for the Trappist Rochefort 3 pack, direct from Belgium.
Appearance: Deep red/brown with 2 finger tan head that coated the side of the glass. Hold it up to the light and see the uniform tiny shimmering bubbles.
Smell: Sweet malt, with a trace of hops ,
Taste: A perfect malt and hop blend.
Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, no heavy alcohol afterburn.
Drinkability: If stranded on a desert island, this may be the one I want. Even better than the 8.

07-05-2007 22:55:09 | More by potownbill
generallee

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Rochefort 6 is lovely nectar that that pours dark brown with amber hues with a modest off white head. The aroma is fruity and woody with a hint of alcohol esters. The flavor is sweet and malty with woody notes and fruits like raisons, white grapes, prune and dried cherries popping in and out. It has a medium body and lively carbonation. The texture is smooth and coats the tongue. I really enjoyed this outstanding trappistes beer.

05-15-2008 21:01:14 | More by generallee
Murchmac

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Frothy white head that lingers, cloudy light brown. I was excited to see this beer on the shelf as it is the first time i've seen it in.

Whoa! Amazing smell, candied raisins, dark fruits, plums, some yeasts. Probably like smelling a victoria's secret model.

Amazing malt taste first of all. Complex, layered, tastes like the nose with some earthy tones. Up there with the tastiest brews i've ever had.

Sweet, chalky dry aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. This is up there with some of the best beers i've had. Thank you Jebus.

08-04-2009 05:31:35 | More by Murchmac
jikvig

Norway

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A nice redbrown colour. Alot, and I mean ALOT of sediments!!!
So it´s all about giving it time!

Nose with alot of dried fruit, raisins, spices, a really nice floral component as well.

Nice consentrated flavours that follows the nose, that stays for a long long time!

This is one of the most flavourful beers I have had! Really complex, really refreshing and well balanced!
If you can get your hands on one, make sure you grab some!!

05-21-2010 22:35:46 | More by jikvig
Brianjames16

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Pours a dark amber/brown color with a bubbly finger with off white head.

S- Big bready aroma mixed with raisins, dark fruits and alcohol. Very pleasing aroma on this one.

T - Dark fruits, raisins, fig and some citrus with bread. Wonderfully balanced flavors with a nice warming alcohol taste. Aftertaste lingers and is pleasant.

M- Big body on this but I find it quite smooth. Great carbonation and rich in texture.

D- Drink slow to enjoy all the great characteristics of this brew. With that said, Drinkability is fantastic for me !

03-07-2011 07:57:47 | More by Brianjames16
mtlasley

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance :Rochefort pours a cloudy deep amber color. Almost creamy looking. Held up to the light I see oranges, reds, and amber bursting through. This beer looks alive. Really exciting. I got a gorgeous finger head of light beige that dissipated slowly with strong lacing. This beer is art.

Smell: Bursting on the top is the aroma of freshly baked bread backed with a sweet maltiness. They're similar aromas but they have a distinct difference. A tartness comes next, there's apple, strawberry, banana and a creaminess all present here. They're layered well but they come together so magically that it almost makes me religious.

Mouthfeel: Rochefort 6 is rich. It's got a heavy feeling on the tongue but it goes down very smooth. A light creaminess really makes the feel.

Taste: Bread is the first flavor, very strong yet very fresh tasting. Strawberry cuts through and brings a tart, apple taste along. Really exquisite. As the beer starts to close, banana flavors are laced with a tinge of cloves and a nuttiness. Three's a lot here but it comes together so well that it feels like one flavor.

Overall: Wow. This is it. This is my beer. The flavors, the cohesion, it all really comes together to surprise and delight. It's fitting that this is made at a monastery because it's as close to religion as I get. Sadly, heaven ain't cheap and at almost $6 a bottle, Rochefort's only losing point vanquishes it to only special occasions. If you're feeling special, spend the cash and delight yourself.

05-01-2012 22:47:58 | More by mtlasley
CA_Infidel2o9

Poured from a 330ml to a Tulip

A- murky brown w/ floaties, 1/4" off white head

S- citrus, spice, caramel, apple cider, earthy, orange, roasted nutty malts

T- awesomely follows the nose, the apple is very tart

M- medium to creamy, high carbonation, acidic apple tartness tingles and curls the tongue

O- my favorite rochefort yet! Nutty, and fruity, and earthy, it's perfect for this time of year! The only negatives i can think of is the almost nonexistant head and the high crispy carbonation. Other then that, she's glorious.

12-14-2012 19:50:02 | More by CA_Infidel2o9