Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 932 | Hads: 2,182

11.2 oz into a snifter. If I had an endless supply of this brew, I might be content to drink nothing else. A lot of people seem to favor the trappist tripels, but for me the Roch 6 has no equal. What can I say? This murky, funky brew doesn't have the biggest nose of any Belgian, it's not the strongest, the flavor is somewhat mild...but it's perfect, the black sediment on the bottom of the snifter and the way the brown bubbles caress my tongue tell me everything I need to know...even though Russian Imperials Stouts are my favorite moreso than any Belgian, this is my absolute favorite beer, even over some of the wild lambics or my tops RIS. Roch 6 is simply a champion. Enough said; if you see a bottle, get it, you won't regret it. (738 characters)

Bottle dated 280114. Poured from a 33 cl bottle into a chalice. It pours hazy brown due to sediment with a frothy white head. The head quickly dissipates and leaves a little bit of white head on the top. Bubbles can be seen meeting the head, indicating high carbonation. The aromas of caramel, fig, roasted malt, and Belgian yeast hit the nose. I can also detect a small amount of alcohol. The taste is sweet, but not too sweet. The flavors of caramel and fig go a long way towards covering up the alcohol content, but the faint taste of alcohol is there. The mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation and a dry finish. The carbonation prepares you for the next drink. This is very easy to drink. Overall, this is an outstanding beer. (734 characters)

Sampling right now on 11/23/14. Had this one before a couple of years back. Single 330ml (11.2 ounce) bottle that runs in the $5.99 range. Picked this up about 7 months ago actually that was out for 'make your own 6 pack' for $8.99 at Hy-Vee. Back of label says: BEST BY 06.12.17. Plenty of time left for this good brew. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a snifter glass.

Pours a pretty deep ruby-amber in color with a good 1+ finger creamy off-white head that settles down to a good 1-2mm layer on top but mostly around the sides of the glass. Some thick layers of lacing is seen that slips back down the glass after the sip (this is a SIPPING brew and not a chugging type.) LOTS going on with the aroma and what I can pick out is spice, dark fruits, sweet malts, and bread. Pretty much the same for the taste with even more going on which I can't really figure out. Very tasty and actually gets better while warming up some. Smooth with a slight sweet finish. Medium+-bodied with perfect carbonation. A pricey brew BUT if you want a great quality brew for this style, then this is it. It's a '10' and is as good as it gets. PROSIT! (1,171 characters)

This by far is the best Rochefort. It is just exploding with flavour that can not be topped. The aroma is top notch only to be out done ounce you get this wonderful beer on your tongue. When I drink this one it just relaxes me and takes away from the rush of our every day life and takes you to a place you will only understand when you have been to belgium to relax. With the lower alcohol content of the other Rocheforts you can drink this one all night. But even in Belgium this one is harder to come upon but it is out there in most gertrankmarts. I highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a bursting, flavorful beer. (629 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

2004 vintage - served in tulip glass at American Flatbread in Burlington, Vermont.

A- Dark, reddish copper. Fingers width of off-white head with very nice lacing as the beer was consumed.

S- Truly smelled like the nectar of gods. Combination of sweet honey and cloves. Simply amazing.

T- Absolutely perfect. The taste was so mellow and well crafted that there is really nothing that can be improved. Up front the beer had a carbonated malt flavor. This slowly gave way to a strong, sweet finish most akin to the sweetest and tastiest of all honey.

M- Medium bodied and well carbonated, even after almost 5 years of age.

D- I cannot really explain how drinkable this beer is with some age on it. You have to try this one for yourself.

Overall, hands down one of the best tasting beers I have ever had. I was so close to giving this a perfect 5. I was told that this beer was discovered in the brewpubs basement, what a find! I urge anyone who has the chance to buy this beer to have the patience to let this age for 4-5 years. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. (1,073 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Pours a cloudy copper with explosive head that dissipates quickly. Low carbonation.

N: Bubblegum, caramel, candy sugar and cotton candy.

T: Follows the nose but also has a watermelon note.

M: Medium bodied, creamy and smooth.

D: Extremely easy drinkability. Absurdly delicious! (284 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +20%

Poured from a bottle, aged for around 5 years, into a snifter.

A: Light brown with lots of sediment. A cream colored head with lasting lace.

S: I could smell this when I opened it: Butterscotch, caramel. dried fruits, bread dough.

T. Dark fruit, butter scotch, caramel, sour yeast, malt, horehound drops, a slightly bitter hop and a, somewhat, dry ending.

M: Moderately carbonated, quite gritty from so much yeast and a medium-thin feel.

O: I think the aging has really improved this beer, not that I don't like it when it's new. This has a delightful sourness to it, as well as a very pronounce fruit cake kind of taste. The yeast really blends nicely with all of the other flavors. This was just delightful, I wish I had more. (734 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

OK well I found some more of this locally and online so I will re-review this.
A: I poured this from the bottle at about 40F and man what a head this thing pours like 3 inches!!! Its a cloudy medium brown beer in color.

S: ok call me crazy but it smells like a sweet iced tea to me. Sweet malt hits the nose with no hops detected at all. I can smell the yeast very nice and complex.

T: well I know why i love Belgians, so complex and in your face beers. First thing hits me is the malt and plum sweetness. Your NOT going to find any hops because the malt and yeast favors so balance it out. good stuff. the after taste is a tad boozy until it warms up near 60F. lots of grape. leather, woody flavors going on here.

M: thick and rich, no carbonation after the head dies.

D: easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol does not hit you until you throw down 4 or 5 lol (863 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

My first beer from Rochefort! This beer pours a light, hazy brown colour with a magnificent head. The aromas are of BREAD, MALT, spices, alcohol, and faint hops. The taste is more of the same. Liquid bread! This beer also has some wonderful medicinal hop, alcohol flavors and some faint dark fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is a bit thin as the carbonation is a bit high but it does not hurt this brew too much. Sometimes you need a lighter-bodied Belgian. The drinkability for this beer is great. I can drink it all night long, and I would if the price was right!
Cheers!
-F (574 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +19%

330mL bottle poured into a Czech Pilsner glass (the only clean glass at the time), I went ahead and poured the yeast in also.

A - looked like a nice apple cider, dark brown and cloudy. It had an enormous head, so much that it spilled over the sides on the pour.

S - mmm...fruit, apples, raisins, bread like yeast smell, alcohol, and spice. I'm not sure what spices, but they smelled amazing when they mixed with the fruit.

T - sweet fruity, spiciness, like a good fruit cobbler, malty sweetness, more spice, some hops, and then a little bit of alcohol.

M - it bordered on overly carbonated, so the excessive carbonation on the pour may have been a godsend.

D - Great. It has an amazing flavor that makes it my favorite trappist brew.

Prior this, the only trappist brew I had ever had was Orval, which I found to be too funky. I was hesitant to try other, but I took a chance. After trying all of Westmalle's stuff, Rochefort's stuff, two Chimay's, and all of Koningshoeven's ales, this is definitely my favorite trappist brew. All around, it's an amazing beer. (1,066 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The wife paid $4.50 for one of these at Trader Joe's and I held onto it for days, afraid to drink it because I checked out the review here. This is an amazing beer. Crisp, light, flavorful. Almost like they crossed a beer with a creme soda. I could drink this every single day until I died. (290 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Another wonderful beer from Trappistes, 6 is incredibly smooth, all too easy to consume, and rife with subtle complication. The presentation was grand, with a three-finger head blanketing a rich ruby red body. It emitted wonderful aroma and accosted the taste buds with berry, a bit of caramel smoothness, raspberry, citrus, spices such as cinnamon and to me a good deal of grape. It was quite sweet like an easy red wine, but far more mysterious and detailed. There is lots of chocolate, but also a prominent black licorice taste that makes me suspect the addition of anise. This would be so easy to quaff, but for the price and the panoply of tastes demanding slower, detailed attention. Though expensive, 6 and 8 were more than worth the try, and were among the very best I've ever had. Classifying this as a "Strong Dark Ale" might not be entirely accurate due to the taste and texture; regardless, this is magnificent, simply first-rate. (942 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

OH MY GOD. This is truly heaven sent beer. The pour and aroma are nothing short of amazing. Smells sweet and caramel like, head is thick and white. Lacing is long lasting and the color is a beautiful mahogany brown. The taste is where this beer really shines through, it is lively with perfect sweetness on the palate. I thought a $ 6.00 bottle of beer was a bit pricey, but this is worth every penny. My new favorite beer. (423 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18%

This one's been wiling away in my cellar awaiting my beckoning call, today that call came.

Out of the monastic bottle, with its Spartan though elegant label poured a beautiful deep red elixir. A thick off white head akin to snow covered moorland retained the entire duration, slimming down to a flat steppe.

What can I say about the bouquet on this one; simply outstanding, cherries, prunes, figs and dates all soaking in apple cider like a heavenly sangria. Candied orange peel, brown sugar and mild resin with hints of maple syrup, poured atop bready plum pudding, lit aflame giving a slight alcoholic tinge, exquisite.

First taste brought a hit of malt whiskey smoky sweetness followed by dates, caramel and burnt brown sugar. Dried fruit and vanilla mix with soft hints of cinnamon and nutmeg, folded into a yeasty bred note. Brandied cherries bring a rich, yet well hidden alcoholic feel, which lingers into the finish counterpointed by subtle balancing hops. A mainly dry finish leaves traces of complex malt sweetness and warming alcohol to ponder.
An initial foaminess melts away to a smooth drinking brew with the body of a fine whisky or brandy, extremely quaffable.

A simply outstanding beer can't say much more than that, amazing. (1,248 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18%

Pours a hazy, reddish brown with a modest head that dissipates quickly leaving a fine cap of foam.

Nose of sweet malt, molasses and dates.

Taste is spectacular, well balanced, yet complex. To recall from memory, can't say whether I prefer this or the Rochefort 8.

Outstanding with nice carbonation, alcohol well hidden, just a joy to drink.

Could easily put many of these away, in this respect perhaps the most drinkable Rochefort. (445 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18%

What an excellent beer. There isn't much more that can be said that I hadn't already said about the Rochefort 8, but the smell is quite possibly even more mindblowing in this beverage.

The beer pours to a dark brown-ish plum color that allows absolutely no passage of light through. The foam is just slightly off white, producing perfect little microbubbles that leave the most beautiful lace ever.

The smell, as I've said, is absolutely incredible. If it was possible to scent my house with this beer, I would. It produces a malty, citrusy bouquet similar to most trappist ales, but much more intense. I even detected, to my surprise, the slightest hint of hops, which I also picked up on in the taste to some degree.

This beer is far less sweet than the Rochefort 8, and especially the 10. For that reason, the mouthfeel is smoother and combined with a lower ABV, it is much easier to drink. It also has less of a wine taste and more of a beer taste, which could be good or bad depending on your mood and your palate. I think this is my top trappist ale at the moment, though it is extremely close between this and the Rochefort 8. I will definately be cellaring a bottle of each, and possibly even the 10, since it might help to mellow out the flavor and balance out the strong alcohol bite.

edit: bottle expiration date reads 15-05-07, and the Rochefort website says the bottling date is the expiration date minus 5 years, meaning this particular bottle was 2002 vintage and sitting on the shelves for the past two and a half years. I must say, it was kept in damn well condition... well done, John's Grocery! I am pleased to have finally found a home for this gem... in my belly. (1,696 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Slightly ruby toffee colouration or a deep hazy amber if you prefer. The body boasts amazing streaming Co2 and supports a tightly cropped foam head with excellent retention.

smell - Pepper and clove hit the nose first, followed by the cherry and fruit which has prune, date and raisin in equal measure. Strong cherry element comes through towards the end followed by raspberry and blueberry. Hop assertiveness is mild but present and a final boozy nip rounds off one of the best noses I have come across.

Taste - Very malty up front. Sweet brown sugar, caramels which subsides into a fruit profile identical tot he nose. At this point the spice rides through strongly dominated by the clove but there is also a slight hit of cinnamon in here very distinct to the nose. Finally the hop makes an appearance with a woody earthy character almost like heather. the hop and boozy element at the end here makes this one a near perfect balance.

Mouthfeel - Smooth beyond belief! Like liquid velvet or silk. This beer is full and creamy, has a great linger and a very pleasing boozy tingle at the back.

Overall - To my mind this is one of the best to come out of the brewery and considering all their beers are great this makes this beer as near to perfection as I have found on my quest. I know the Bible says Jesus drank wine but I'm convinced when he comes back he will drink this instead! Best described in two words 'ESSENTIAL DRINKING' (1,450 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a hazy medium to dark bronze amber with a healthy three finger off-white head with great retention and lots of pillowly lacing. Spicy aroma of light stone fruit, dates, raisins, light nuts, cherry; the clove and earthy spices really dominate this more than other Rochefort ales. Flavor is sweet dates, figs, apricot with rapidly developing spiciness of clove and other earthy spices, finisihing with concentrated fruit, caramel and light hops. Really complex flavor. Nice creamy, medium heavy body. An exceptional Belgian ale and possibly the richest, most complex dubbel I've had. I wondered why I never had reviewed this, and it's possible that I always went for its bigger brothers, 8 and 10. If so, my loss. This is as flavorful and interesting as those ales. An exceptional dubbel from one of the best breweries in the world. A total pleasure to drink. (897 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

Color: A deep, rich dark maple color. A very respectable frothy caramel head.

Smell: Rich and robust aroma of fruity-malty goodness. Alcohol cannot be detected.

Taste: Astounding. A rich dark malty flavoring accompanied by a fruity and nutty complexity that just blows you away.

Feeling: Thick in texture, in accordance with the thick rich tastes.

Drinkability: I can sip on these guys all day. (399 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

33cl bottle with 15.05.07 best before date. Label says (in French) it is brewed with water, malt, non-malt cereals, hops, yeast and sugar.

Rochefort 6 pours a deep, cloudy brown with a thick off-white head that sticks around through the entire glass. Aroma is magnificent - sour fruit, spice and caramel. Taste is spicy (coriander, cloves), bready with a sweet and sour finish. Some port-like and dark chocolate flavors as well. A touch of bitterness in the finish as the brew warms. Slightly heavy mouthfeel with ultra-fine carbonation. An incredible brew; what a mix of flavors! (583 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Bought at Local grocery Mathernes in Baton Rouge, LA. Super hot summer day that deserves a beer such as this. It's a hard find since the Rochefort 6 constitues only 1% of the beers brewed by ROchefort.
Pours a murky dead leaf brown with sediment into my tall Konig Pilsner stemmed glass. Tight bubbles and light foaming that sits nicely on top of the beer.
Aroma is spicy and figgy, very distictly Belgian.
Mouthfeel is so beautiful, very velvety smooth and consistent.
Taste is harmonious with the aroma, very nice dark fruit, fig, lots of caramel with seamless balance alongside the alcohol percentage of 7.5 abv, and acidity. delicious.
High drinkability I cannot put my glass down.
Wonderful... (701 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Rochefort 6 is lovely nectar that that pours dark brown with amber hues with a modest off white head. The aroma is fruity and woody with a hint of alcohol esters. The flavor is sweet and malty with woody notes and fruits like raisons, white grapes, prune and dried cherries popping in and out. It has a medium body and lively carbonation. The texture is smooth and coats the tongue. I really enjoyed this outstanding trappistes beer. (433 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into my Duvel tulip out of the 330 mL bottle. There is a 2 inch head that settles slowly to a thick, dense, creamy crown. The beer is cola brown and has a nice chimney of carbonation rising from the center of the glass. It smells great. Sweet, spicy, malty with coriander, anise, soap, and fruity caramel bleeding out of the glass. The flavor is full, rich, dynamic, and strong. This is great. There is a citrusy and floral aspect underneath a well balanced malt base. There is a faint cherry taste from the alcohol and the end has a piny touch of hops. Just enough to make it bittersweet before the next malty start. Slightly cidery from the blend of sweet, tart, fruity, malty, and rich. Just the right amount of carbonation. (734 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

hanks again to Dave M. for the Trappist Rochefort 3 pack, direct from Belgium.
Appearance: Deep red/brown with 2 finger tan head that coated the side of the glass. Hold it up to the light and see the uniform tiny shimmering bubbles.
Smell: Sweet malt, with a trace of hops ,
Taste: A perfect malt and hop blend.
Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, no heavy alcohol afterburn.
Drinkability: If stranded on a desert island, this may be the one I want. Even better than the 8. (471 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from an 11.2oz into a chalice. Best before date listed as 3/11/09.

Dark mahogony with brown edges. Nice fluffy, white head that has great retention and stickiness. Fine champagne bubbles keep that head alive.

The nose is of spiced bread with some dark fruits and slightly sweet malts. Mouthwatering.

Malts make up most of the taste. They have a slight chocolate/roasted note. The hops provide a quick bite just before the roasted malts make a second appearance in the finish.

The mouthfeel is full, slightly chewy, but velvety as it glides around the tongue. This is the most drinkably trappist I've encountered so far. (638 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last