Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
Reviews: 949 | Hads: 2,253
3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

GLASS: Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
EXP. DATE: 060213 (Approx. 1-yr aged)

Pours a golden copper color with amber tinting. Two-finger head of creamy, light tan foam. Fades to a nice thick covering. Retention is very good. Lacing is rope-like and quite sticky.

Very rich, sweet, caramel malts are at the forefront. Hints of spices. Light notes of dark fruits and also mild orchard fruit notes. Raisins, toffees and brown sugar.

Caramel malts, again. Light notes of dark fruits. Hint of brown sugar. Ripe pears and not-quite-ripe green apples. Slight booziness. Mild spice notes.
It's very good, but also very mild, overall.
A good beginner's Trappist brew.

We're getting better again. Nicely smooth and sufficiently creamy. Still, it has a slight bite of sharpness, on the finish.

Very drinkable, in general. Sadly, I honestly believe that my palate is beyond this one now. I used to love this, but I haven't had one in a couple of years and it now doesn't seem as special as it once did, to me.
On a side note, I hit the Rochefort website before this review for confirmation on their dating codes. According to the info there, this brew (6) is only brewed, maybe once a year. It's about 1% of the monks total production. According to them, it's the hardest of the three different versions to find. I find this slightly odd, as it's the one that I see most often in stores. I guess that we're all buying the 8's and 10's as soon as we find them. I would have guessed that the 10 was rarest because that's the one that I have problems finding.
You learn new things, everyday.

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Rich, malty sweetness. Notes of fig and date, honey, a light vinous note and a bit of spice.

Hazy, chestnut colour with a small, short lasted tan head. It's okay.

Lots of rich, toasty, bready malt. Some good fruit flavour comes through as well but it is predominantly toasty. Some stone fruits (peaches, apricots) through the mid palate with a slightly watery finish. Very light minerality. For mine, it is too thin and lacking in the big, fruity, malty, spicy flavours expected. Nice mild bitterness in the background.

Medium-light body with moderately-low carbonation.

Look. It's drinkable but that is mostly because it is not as full flavoured as it could be. I don't get the big, rich complexity that is possible in a 7.5% beer. While I don't find this amazing, I do love the 8 and 10 so I suppose I had to not like one of them.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Light plum color with a tall off white head leaving no lacing. Carbonation bubbles noticeable throughout.

S - Dark fruits and roasted malts.

T - Dark fruit sweetness and a very mild booze taste. In my opinion the booze and carbonation is what makes these beers great. This one is good.

M - Medium and smooth.

D - Not so much for me. I will move on pretty quickly from this one. Nice carbonation and certainly enjoyable, just not my cup of tea.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Murky, brownish caramel. Frothy head leaves fast to disk. Not much cling.

S - Very light, mostly Belgian yeast married with very small hops and malt.

T - Pretty straight forward. Matches smell pretty well.

M - Creamy, coating, good carb, fair balance.

D - Just not as interesting as I had hoped.

Poured into a chalice.

Brown with a off white head that doesn't leave much lacing behind. Noticeable sediment at the bottom.

I'm getting lots of malts, breadiness, dark fruits and alcohol in the nose.

It tastes of dark fruit and alcohol.

Good amount of carbonation and a medium body that feels good going down.

The flavors and smell weren't all that exciting and I was picking up more alcohol than I would have expected at 7.5%

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

How the hell have I never had these beers? Anyways, I bought all three from the departed, & missed, Petschen's Southview Liquors in South St. Paul, at their going out of business sale. Always sad to see a good neighborhood hole go down to a big chain opening right next door. 11.2 oz. bottle.

The pour is light & fizzy, necessitating a careful pour. Liquid is light brown with orange highlights. Nose is full of sugar-drizzled banana with a side of dark fruits. This smells like a good ice cream shop.

Rochefort 6 is a snapshot of the nose. Big banana notes up front, the fruitiness is stronger & linked up with a good alcohol kick that makes me think the ABV is understated. Underlying malt sweetness kicks in the middle, & a clove-like note (yeast?) smooths out the end. Mouthfeel is the weakest link; feels like someone is shooting a carbonation gun under my tongue each time I take a sip. It's distracting. But the sweetness makes this go down like Kool Aid in a sauna.

I know the beer is legendary, but in this house, this is what we call a good, solid dubbel. Might be the standard that all others are judged against, but we need those waypoints, don't we?

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter.

Appears very dark. Cannot see through at all. Semi aggressive pour results in a very good head that holds up a finger thick even in the wide snifter. Smells of fruit, mostly cherry and some raison...even a little hint of spice. The taste is very good. Just enough sweetness for an evening beer. A lot of malt flavor and little to no hop presence is detected. This is not a heavy beer for dark Belgian ale; and as such is one of the more drinkable I've tried.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Redbrown color with a big foamy head which dies pretty fast. Not as dark as the 8 and 10.

The smell is quite special with spices, some yeast, but not particualry overwhelming.

The taste is malty, sweet, spicy, fruity, with some "fiery" (?) alcohol with notes of nuts. It's good, but compared to it's brother not that overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is thin I think, I can't stop compare it to the other full-bodied and filling Rocheforts. However, it will get an average score.

Drinkability is good though. It goes down rather easy.

This is a good beer, but compared to the other Rochefort beers quite pointless. They are some of my absolute favourites, so...

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

Nose esters that give special fruity marked, can think in liquor but also with red fruit. A touch of coffee is also felt but it is discreet. The mouth is in continuity, it offers many berries macerated in taste with a very dry mouth, however. There is also a touch of alcohol and slightly spicy with presence, in addition, some phenols. The finish has a pleasant little bitterness. Not as complex as its big sisters, but perhaps easier to drink.

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

11.2oz bottle. Bottled August, 2010.

A: Pours a light cola brown (think cream soda) with a huge light tan head.

S: Cherry, nutmeg, raisin bread. Sweet and slightly thin.

T: Drying, less sweet than the aroma. Lightly medicinal, figs, raisins, biscuit, birch, mild syrupy cherry. Very dry finish.

M: Fizzy, slightly too thin.

O: Definitely has that classic trappist ester profile, but this one's a bit thin and the carbonation is overly fizzy.

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a bottle with a BB date of 240713.

A - Pours a really nice tawny red under light. Lots of suspended yeast particles. Frothy tan head that fades fast. There's a decent amount of carbonation, but it doesn't look to be as carbonated as the 8.

S - It definitely follows in the steps of its bigger brothers here. While I can't remember the 10 so well, there's definitely a yeast character that's similar in the 6 and 8. Reminds me of fresh sweet breads. The fruit notes remind me of tart fruits. Also, there's a definitely cola note and a slight metallic edge.

T - There are a lot of very delicate flavors going on here. The malt notes are very soft and just seem to work their way around the edges of each sip. Slight spiciness. There's a bit of light alcohol noticeable in the finish. The metallic note noticeable in the aroma is also noticeable here.

MF - Noticeably thin from the start. I'm never really quite sure what to expect from the feel of Belgian darks, so it's difficult to rate. In this case, however, since this is the little guy of the Rochefort group, I'm all right with the thin body. Still, thin, slightly carbonated, but not much else to comment on.

D - Very drinkable for the style, which surely has something to do with the lower ABV. At the same time, in comparison to style, I've had other Belgian darks that were better. While I'm willing to give their line-up a retry, I just wanted to include a note regarding the fact that the Rochefort line didn't impress me all that much. They're good, but nothing mind-blowing.

14 01 09 stamped on the bottle - whatever that means

A: Pours a murky brown with a large foamy head that quickly dies down to a 1/2' layer of foam. A bit of sediment, but not as much as the 8 or 10. Not much lacing.

S: Typical Belgian aromas of biscuits and raisins

T: Metallic taste with bready and slightly fruity flavors. Quite salty in the finish.

M: Medium body with an agressive carbonation that makes it difficult to get much flavor.

D: I like this one better than the 8 and 10, but like them, I think there are much better beers to be had for less $$.

3.56/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into a snifter

A Pours a muddy looking brown color with a off white head that has very good retention.

S some nice raisin and alcohol notes with a lot of sweetness.

T lots of caramel with more raisins and some spice which I can't seem to identify.

M Smooth and light which works very well.

Overall while this isn't my favorite of the Rocheforts it is still an excellent beer in its own right and I would have one of these again in a heartbeat.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A:Pours a bubbly one finger of brown head. Brown hazy root beer looking body, a fair amount of light comes through.

S:Smells nutty, dark and juicy fruits(plum, rum rasins). Medium dark crystal malts. Brown sugar and molasses.

T: Tastes big time of juicy dark fruits, plum, rasin, figs. Some taste of nutty brown malts. Maybe some cinnamon and vanilla. A touch of lingering rum rasin bitterness.

M: Medium thin bodied, high carbonation. Somewhat coating in the mouth, medium dry in the finish.

O: Overall this one is nice, it has a fair amount of flavor which is melded together quite well. It's light enough that I could have a few of these in a night. The 7.5% abv is well hidden.
$4.95 a single.

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%

This beer was served in a goblet.

Ap- The beer has a clear light brown coloration. The head was a short lasting white coloration. No lacing marks my glass. Perhaps I poured a bit sloppy but the bottom of the glass has a huge amount of sediment.

S- Strong alcohol punches its way to foreground. After a little warming the beer comes on with a whiff of caramel maltyness. Nice dark fruits begin to come about raisins, plums and figs as it sits a little longer. Alcohol fades out as the beer warms.

T- Nicely clove spiced caramel covering up raisins and figs. The alcohol is present but breaks some of the sweetness up.

M- The body is on the full side. Carbonation is active and breaks it up a bit.

O- This beer shows promise but I would bypass this one for the 8 or the 10.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a murky dark brown color with a 1 inch bone colored head that fades to nothing. Slight lacing slowly slides back into the beer on the drink down. Some sediment is seen floating around in the beer. Smells of fermented raisins, sweet malt, and spices. I also get a very subtle hint of funk and vinegar. Taste is of caramel, dark fruits, spices, and Belgian yeast. Lots of carbonation makes for a bubbly and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, I was a bit disappointed in this beer. I was expecting something way better all around based on reviews and information I have read. This isn't a bad beer per se but I guess it's just not up my alley.

330ml bottle poured into a snifter

Batch #/ Best before: 090316

From notes taken on 2/12/12

A: Pours an opaque light mahogany with 1 fingers width of very bubbly off-white head that dissipates down rather quickly to leave a thin film and outer ring that remain throughout the drink. There is a decent amount of sedimentation suspended in the glass. Leaves zero lacing.

S: Burnt sugar and caramel malts. A pepper and clove like spice is also noted, along with a subtle hint of alcohol. Decent aroma, but not particularly strong or complex.

T: Follows the nose. Candied sugar, caramel malts, and brewing yeast. White pepper and subtle clove, with the spices becoming more prominent as the beer warms. Not nearly the flavor profile or strength I was anticipating/wanting.

M/D: Heavily carbonated, light to medium bodied, with a rather thin mouthfeel. High drinkability with a completely hidden ABV.

O: Overall, I was disappointed with this offering. Rochefort 8 is a very good beer, and Rochefort 10 is world class. This isn’t even in the same ballpark. I’m glad I had it, to complete the Rochefort trifecta, but I will not have this one again.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Pours a cloudy mahogany color. A large rocky and white head forms with good retention. A touch of sticky lace.
S: Wow! This has a pungent aroma of alcohol, plums, and other fruity esters. Some sweet honey and caramel as well. Some doughy bread aromas. Very interesting, but I am not sure if I really like the aroma or not.
T: The first thing I notice is lots of alcohol again. After that, lots of sweet fruits. A sour apple flavor, raisins, and plums. Honey and caramel again.
M/D: A full body this is incredibly rich and creamy. Velvety smooth. The alcohol really shows in this beer for me. It takes away from the drinkability a bit.

I seem to be getting a lot of alcohol in this beer. It is over 7%, though I have had much higher that hid the alcohol much better (including Rochefort 8). This is very interesting though. Different than other beers of this style. I like it, but it is not my favorite of the style.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottle on sale at whole foods poured into a tulip

A- lots of effervescence reddish brown murky color with a fine tan head that dissipates to a thin layer just on top. bubbles up through solution like a champagne

S- yeasty, definite bread, prune, fig even some dark stone fruit. slightly sourdough bread.

T- slight toffee, whole wheat bread , peppery, a little gram cracker in the finish. very low hop character. Some warming alcohol but it isn't harsh.

M- even with all the bubbling this is a little dryer than expected.

O- I could see myself enjoying this beer with a steak, I would like to try the 12. Not an everyday drinker but I could definitely enjoy this on a rainy day.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle - 060213 12:52 indicated on the bottle. Served in my Chimay goblet at 50 degrees. Gushed off the cap pop before pouring a hazy purplish brown with a vigorous, one inch off-white head which reduced its volume by half in less than a minute before settling into a solid, quarter inch cap. Some arcs of belgian lacing exposed during the tasting with decent legs. Tiny particles evident floating in the brew. Nose was vinous - dark fruit and some yeast. Taste consistent with nose - detected some candi sugar and dark fruit is somewhat muted; slightly herbal/medicinal quality detected at the finish. Mouthfeel fell between light- and medium-bodied and very effervescent (somewhat prickly). Alcohol was well-hidden. I have to say that I was a little dissapointed with this beer. Decent, but I've had better, particularly for the dollar value.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This bier has a murky, dark chestnut color. The head was initially about 1/2", and a bit rocky. It quickly settled into a fine, thin layer of tightly-packed tan bubbles. Lacing was acceptable. The nose was semi-sweet with dark-fruit notes emanating, though it tended to be on the mild side. I didn't think the body was quite hitting the medium level, and it had a very bubbly carbonation leaving a prickly feel on the tongue. I did get a slight sense of the alcohol, as it warmed me on the way down. Yet, the fruity flavors had a bitter lean to them, and the finish was somewhat dry. I didn't find much complexity in this bier, unlike other Belgians I've imbibed. It was, in the end, a letdown for me. And, to think I paid $6.50 for just under 12oz for Trap 6, compared to $6.50 for 25.4oz of Delirium Noel yesterday!!

overall: 3.6
appearance: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%

This Abbel Dubbel poured a large invigorating tan long lasting head with fine-small bubbles. There was good lacing on all sides of my glass. The aroma was somewhat fruity. The body was a cloudy light brown color and it was thin and watery. It had a tingly taste to it and I prefer the Rochefort Trappistes 8 to this one.

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured a 33 cL bottle (stamped 280114) into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: A hazy orange brown, it poured with a medium cream head that quickly died to a good lace and collar.
S: Brown sugar and fig with raisins. It is full of earthy, rustic bread and hops that are reminiscent of spinach.
T: Mild brown sugar and cinnamon throughout, it is surprisingly more hoppy than expected with biting earthy lemon citrus hops. Yeasty bread and a mild tart grape is in the backbone, while the finish is slightly metallic with blackberries.
M: Very thin but also very frothy.
D: It's only ok for the style.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Pours a dark amber with a decent head into a tulip. The head lingers in this beer making a pleasant presentation throughout.

Smell is figs and raisons with whiff of the alcohol. A deep and fairly dark floral bouquet.

Taste closely follows the nose, with figs and dark fruits predominate with a warmth of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety.

A very drinkable dark ale - a couple of these on a cool evening with some sharp cheese as an accent would be very pleasant. All in all, a very nice experience but probably not one I would often seek out.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Rochefort 6 pours a darker cloudy amber color, with a very large frothy and lacing head. There is a sweet toasted aroma, some notes of Belgian candies. The taste is much the same, toasted, but bigger notes of sweet candy. Good body and good feel. Overall its complex and well constructed, a little too sweet for me.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort