Follow our progress ...

Style: Dubbel

Added by Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Reviews: 967 | Ratings: 2,362
3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a dark brown color with a decent two-finger head into my pint glass. Nice presentation here.

Aroma is full of raisin, plum and it's sweet as well. A bit of alcohol heat peeks through as well.

Taste is sweet with raisin, plum and candi sugar. Very strong but not in a way that I like. However, after a while, it mellows and gives way to something better.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering raisin and plum along with the alcohol heat. Again, a bit rough to drink. Complex.

Not bad but I prefer Rochefort 8 and 10 over this for a few reasons. They're both easier to enjoy and deceptively drinkable. I can't quite say the same for this.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer poured out as a nice looking brown color with an off white head on top. The lacing was pretty good here. The smell of the beer had a big yeasty aroma to it with some darker malts giving off a little sweetness. The taste was a little smokey I thought, I found that to be a little interesting. The other flavors of bread, and caramel were in there too. The mouthfeel was decent in my opinion, though that the beer had a good softness to it. Overall not a bad Belgian brew at all. Quite enjoyable.

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

i feel like this is a little less exciting than the 8 and the 10. it pours hazy hand redish brown, not dark and not light, kind of dense looking. a very very robust tan head than doesnt subside at all. the nose is real spicy from the yeast, and the malt profile is big and sweet. the only problem is the the flavor doesnt really come through from the nose to the taste, and every thing is sort of muted on the palate. there is a nice fruity element to this one, but all the flavors are faded except for the yeast. the mouthfeel is great, really light and airy for a beer of such size. its real easy drinking, and dangerously so at this abv. im not sure i had the freshest bottle in the world, but i wasnt amazed by this.

3.64/5  rDev -11.7%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

The pour was a murky medium chestnut brown with an average sized (1-2 finger) light tan head that quickly diminished to a thin cap, which in turn created some excellent sheets of lacing.

The aroma was of a dark bread malt and a sweet Belgian yeast with notes of toffee, a plethora of dark fruit (cherries, plums raisons and figs) and a mild alcohol tinge.

The taste was a mild malty sweet with a good toffee note early on, then becoming a bit yeasty with a big note of dark fruit and a pronounced alcohol finish. The flavor however was short lived fading quite quickly proceeding the swallow, with the fruity yeasty alcohol taste disappearing in what seemed like a matter if seconds.

Mouthfeel was somewhere in the middle of light and medium in body with a slightly dry and a bit watery texture and a soft to medium carbonation.

Overall this is a very well put together Belgian Ale, although this one is a tad lighter than the Trappistes 8 & 10 from this brewer. Now don't get me wrong, I truly think they are all exceptional brews...

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Heck yes THIS is a big time beer.

Classic tastes of the Trappists. Known to give a healthy does of beer flavor, yet still feels like you could be drinking a much lighter brew. Smells bready, tastes like straight up bread, a tiny bit bitter.

If you could drink alcoholic liquified bread, then why not? The main reason for me is that there is a slightly more expensive version of this - Rochefort 8 - and the small savings for a bottle of 6 doesn't justify the still high price.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Can't really stand up to its cousins, 8 and 10, but was still a tasty beer. Pours murky mahogany with a thick, short tan head. Cherries, molasses, sugar, and raisins in the nose. Smooth mouthfeel without the expected syrupyness. Malt, caramel, prunes, maple syrup, and cream soda (nice call Beerlando) in the taste. I don't really like a lot of dubbles, as they are typically over-indulgent in spice and sticky malt, but this was really good.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

A bronze hue that reflects peach. Mountains of bubble-scarred froth on the surface. A coven of gathering yeast pellets.
Nose is dry toffee and sourdough bread crusts. And brandy. Upstanding, if a bit vacant.
Begins with far less flavor than I had anticipated. Dry malt base with dehydrated prune skins. Any partial sugary hues are dried again immediately, accompanied by some faint plastic notes. Grape emerges briefly, though it remains dry. Like caramel sucked lifeless of its sweetness. Dry stale bread coated with dry diacetyl-induced butter. Dry pepper. Dry hops at the end bring dried savory herbs.

Dry.

It caught me off-guard in that respect. Airy and thin and fizzy and bubbly.

And dry.

Plenty good for a quaffer, I suppose. I wanted a bit of an experience. I got bland. And a wallet $6 drier.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a hazy dark brown beer, roughly a 2 inch head, and, this sounds funny, the head crackled loudly as it dissipates,much more so then other beers. Smells of licorice, malt. Taste is extremely hard to describe, its sweet, has a very mild licorice taste, tastes of spices like winter beers, but none i can describe. A very interesting beer. No hops whatsoever. Mouthfeel is slick, mild carbonation.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured into the snifter a hazy dark brown with garnet highlights. Head was a short-lived beige color, faded to a wispy cap and halo. Lacing was minimal.
Continuous streams of small bubbles make their way up the sides of the glass. Chunks of yeasy sediment settle to the bottom.

Smell was dark fruit, raisins, , hop spiciness,yeasty breads, and a light of alcohol.

Taste is much more subtle than the smell. Flavor is a mix of malts, yeasty bread, light raisin flavor with a faint trace of alcohol.

Medium bodied. Moderately active carbonation.

I found myself enjoying this one more and nore as it warmed. The smell and the flavors become more pronounced. Drinkable? Yes, but the price could be prohibitive to most.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours well; there's a reddish, dark amber color to it.

The head takes up half the volume, when poured into a tulip glass. There's a slight hint of lace as the head disappears.

As I smelled it, I was hit by hint of caramel; there was quite a malty nose to it, which was just what you wished for as a fan of malty beers.

There's a strong taste to it - the first sensation that hit me was a chocolaty maltiness. After the initial rush, I caught the citrus taste, a nice orange vibe, and a lovely level of carbonation.

Drinkability - wise: I wouldn't make plans if I were having more than one. It's nice and strong, best for telling your friends you love them. They'll forgive you, and if they're having this as well, they'll agree with you.

This beer would be fantastic with a good fish, like a salmon or tuna, or fried chicken. If you're a health nut, you might want to dial down to a well-grilled chicken.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Deep ruby/mahagony with a tan frothy head. Smells faintly of leather with candy sweetness and a slight fruit tang. Flavors of light belgian caramel syrupy sweetness leads the way on the tongue with some notes of unmalted grains slightly rotted, and perhaps a hint of chocolate. No real bitterness, but a hint of sourness does finish up the flavor. Forthy light belgian body for a decent, but not my favorite style, belgian ale. Drinkable, but at the price, I won't likely pick it up again.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

11.2 fl oz. bottle poured into an Allagash chalice.

A - Pours a ruby-auburn color with an initial three fingers of white head. It dies to about a half finger speckled with brown form the sediment. Significant suspension of floaters become visible when held up to the light. Good lacing along the interior of the glass.

S - Smells of pear, almond, and overripened plum. Some candy belgian yeast, banana, and concord grape contribute to the complexity of fruits in the aroma. Noticeably tart on the nose.

T - The flavors start with the pear and grape I picked up in the nose. The flavors are not as vibrant as I expected. Faint biscuit, raisins, and cherry through the finish.

M - A bit thin with mild carbonation.

O - I was underwhelmed by this beer. The aroma was promising with lots of fruits and classic belgian sugars, but the flavor was weak and lacked complexity. Admittedly this isn't a style I usually enjoy, but I won't be getting this again.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Easy to pour, easy to look at, smells refreshing- pours with virtually no head very nice ruby color- the smell is the strongpoint. Hint if clove and spice on the initial and finishes nicely. This was a VoIP favorite and could be enjoyed at any time of the year. Drinkable by anyone- not just beer snobs.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rhinos00 is going to have me hogtied for this review, but Alex, I'm being honest here :-)

Poured into my Koningshoeven chalice, this beer is amber with good clarity. A thin off-white head is present, receding rapidly to a ring, leaving no lace. Plenty of carbonation is present.

The nose is yeasty with caramel and a mildly bready character. Brown sugar, a touch of earthy spice, this is quite delicate but also underwhelming. The palate fares no better. Opening quite yeasty and very delicate with brown sugar sweetness. Bready and caramel-like, the flavors in this beer are very understated. Light in body, high in carbonation, the finish is decent with yeasty and spicy character. This is not particularly impressive, while I had no problem drinking this, I'm not enjoying this too much. Nonetheless, I will buy this again to figure out exactly how wrong I am.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into Old Guardian snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of khaki head. Fades to a ring. No lace left. Color is a murky caramel brown. Sediment in glass.

Aroma: Lots of malts here. I get some caramel and a ton of raisins up front. Has some grapes as well. More of a muted aroma. I hope the taste brings more flavor.

Taste: Lots of caramel malts, raisins, and grapes. This beer is huge on malts. Some smokey bacon notes as well. Grassy hops balance it out a bit.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and crisp. Reminds me of having pop in my mouth. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends very dry.

Overall, I liked the 10 and the 8 a lot better. This beer just didn't taste like a good BSDA (or I should say I have had better). Probably not going to be getting this again. The mouthfeel was off and the flavor was lacking.

3.62/5  rDev -12.1%

A- Pours a hazy brown amber with three fingers of thick white head, that settles to a layer in about a minute. No lacing or legs to speak of.

S- Sweet malt is prevalent, with notes of melba toast, yeast, pepper, and faint alcohol. No hop aroma.

T- Wow. ummm, ok... not at all what I was expecting. Fits within the ridiculously broad style guidelines, though. Slightly bitter, but not a hop bitterness. Almost like... if you took the sweet out of anise and simply had that flavor. It's hard to describe, as you can see by my grasping at straws. A very dry, toasty finish... But there is no sweet malty at all in this beer. Some slight malty overtones, but without the sweetness that normally comes along. I like this beer more the more I drink it. The almost sour/bitter flavor takes a bit of getting used to though.

M- Ridiculously carbonated. Almost a peppery mouthfeel because it's so carbonated and dry.

D- As I said, I like it more the more I drink it... but it's not worth the money, by a long shot. A very imbalanced beer that tastes more like a watered-down cognac with a foolish amount of carbonation. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good. Just not worth the 6 bucks I paid for the bottle.

IF YOU DRINK ONE, let it warm, and let it get a little flatter. it's much, much better that way.

3.61/5  rDev -12.4%

Served straight out of a fridge into a chalice.
Appearance - Cloudy hazel brown (a little like a cup of tea). Head had a subtle brown/red tinge that quickly faded to nothing (too cold?). What was left did not look appetising.
Smell - things started to pick up here. Winey plums and the sniff of warm alcohol and mollases. Intense.
Taste - bready malt, bags of estery red fruit and a sharp, lip-smacking dryness. At first somewhat harsh, but flavours rounded out as the beer warmed up.
Mouthfeel - Tightly carbonated, very spritzy and slightly oily on the tongue: Couldn't shake the feeling it was somehow at odds with the taste of this beer.
Drinkability - At this strength it's a one bottle round for me.
Notes: I was somewhat disappointed with this beer. I think the serving temp was wrong and so I'm not willing to give up on it yet...

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

GLASS: Goblet
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
EXP. DATE: 060213 (Approx. 1-yr aged)

Pours a golden copper color with amber tinting. Two-finger head of creamy, light tan foam. Fades to a nice thick covering. Retention is very good. Lacing is rope-like and quite sticky.

Very rich, sweet, caramel malts are at the forefront. Hints of spices. Light notes of dark fruits and also mild orchard fruit notes. Raisins, toffees and brown sugar.

Caramel malts, again. Light notes of dark fruits. Hint of brown sugar. Ripe pears and not-quite-ripe green apples. Slight booziness. Mild spice notes.
It's very good, but also very mild, overall.
A good beginner's Trappist brew.

We're getting better again. Nicely smooth and sufficiently creamy. Still, it has a slight bite of sharpness, on the finish.

Very drinkable, in general. Sadly, I honestly believe that my palate is beyond this one now. I used to love this, but I haven't had one in a couple of years and it now doesn't seem as special as it once did, to me.
On a side note, I hit the Rochefort website before this review for confirmation on their dating codes. According to the info there, this brew (6) is only brewed, maybe once a year. It's about 1% of the monks total production. According to them, it's the hardest of the three different versions to find. I find this slightly odd, as it's the one that I see most often in stores. I guess that we're all buying the 8's and 10's as soon as we find them. I would have guessed that the 10 was rarest because that's the one that I have problems finding.
You learn new things, everyday.

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Rich, malty sweetness. Notes of fig and date, honey, a light vinous note and a bit of spice.

Hazy, chestnut colour with a small, short lasted tan head. It's okay.

Lots of rich, toasty, bready malt. Some good fruit flavour comes through as well but it is predominantly toasty. Some stone fruits (peaches, apricots) through the mid palate with a slightly watery finish. Very light minerality. For mine, it is too thin and lacking in the big, fruity, malty, spicy flavours expected. Nice mild bitterness in the background.

Medium-light body with moderately-low carbonation.

Look. It's drinkable but that is mostly because it is not as full flavoured as it could be. I don't get the big, rich complexity that is possible in a 7.5% beer. While I don't find this amazing, I do love the 8 and 10 so I suppose I had to not like one of them.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Light plum color with a tall off white head leaving no lacing. Carbonation bubbles noticeable throughout.

S - Dark fruits and roasted malts.

T - Dark fruit sweetness and a very mild booze taste. In my opinion the booze and carbonation is what makes these beers great. This one is good.

M - Medium and smooth.

D - Not so much for me. I will move on pretty quickly from this one. Nice carbonation and certainly enjoyable, just not my cup of tea.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Murky, brownish caramel. Frothy head leaves fast to disk. Not much cling.

S - Very light, mostly Belgian yeast married with very small hops and malt.

T - Pretty straight forward. Matches smell pretty well.

M - Creamy, coating, good carb, fair balance.

D - Just not as interesting as I had hoped.

Poured into a chalice.

Brown with a off white head that doesn't leave much lacing behind. Noticeable sediment at the bottom.

I'm getting lots of malts, breadiness, dark fruits and alcohol in the nose.

It tastes of dark fruit and alcohol.

Good amount of carbonation and a medium body that feels good going down.

The flavors and smell weren't all that exciting and I was picking up more alcohol than I would have expected at 7.5%

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

How the hell have I never had these beers? Anyways, I bought all three from the departed, & missed, Petschen's Southview Liquors in South St. Paul, at their going out of business sale. Always sad to see a good neighborhood hole go down to a big chain opening right next door. 11.2 oz. bottle.

The pour is light & fizzy, necessitating a careful pour. Liquid is light brown with orange highlights. Nose is full of sugar-drizzled banana with a side of dark fruits. This smells like a good ice cream shop.

Rochefort 6 is a snapshot of the nose. Big banana notes up front, the fruitiness is stronger & linked up with a good alcohol kick that makes me think the ABV is understated. Underlying malt sweetness kicks in the middle, & a clove-like note (yeast?) smooths out the end. Mouthfeel is the weakest link; feels like someone is shooting a carbonation gun under my tongue each time I take a sip. It's distracting. But the sweetness makes this go down like Kool Aid in a sauna.

I know the beer is legendary, but in this house, this is what we call a good, solid dubbel. Might be the standard that all others are judged against, but we need those waypoints, don't we?

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter.

Appears very dark. Cannot see through at all. Semi aggressive pour results in a very good head that holds up a finger thick even in the wide snifter. Smells of fruit, mostly cherry and some raison...even a little hint of spice. The taste is very good. Just enough sweetness for an evening beer. A lot of malt flavor and little to no hop presence is detected. This is not a heavy beer for dark Belgian ale; and as such is one of the more drinkable I've tried.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Redbrown color with a big foamy head which dies pretty fast. Not as dark as the 8 and 10.

The smell is quite special with spices, some yeast, but not particualry overwhelming.

The taste is malty, sweet, spicy, fruity, with some "fiery" (?) alcohol with notes of nuts. It's good, but compared to it's brother not that overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is thin I think, I can't stop compare it to the other full-bodied and filling Rocheforts. However, it will get an average score.

Drinkability is good though. It goes down rather easy.

This is a good beer, but compared to the other Rochefort beers quite pointless. They are some of my absolute favourites, so...

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort