2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,659 | Reviews: 887 | Show All Ratings:
AleWatcher

2.05/5  rDev -50.6%

Bottle into Rochefort chalice.

Looks like a dark cream soda. The head violently bubbled away as quickly as I could pour. A light tan head dissolved almost entirely before my first sip.

Smells of some caramel malt, sweet bready malt note, some ginger root, big Belgian yeasty vibe, and some dark fruits like plums and/or raisins.
The flavor is much the same with a touch of an earthiness to boot.

Feels a little overcarbonated, and therefore a little thin as a result.

Overall-- meh. I've had many better Belgian Dark Ales. This one is unimpressive to me.

05-15-2012 03:20:24 | More by AleWatcher
Offa

2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

Ugh, this was bland, weak, one-dimensional, and to me a total waste.

Red amber, it has a huge light tan head, steadily shrinking and leaving only a weak trace of lace.

The aroma is Hershey's chocolate (not rich or dakr chocolate, or cocoa - the first clear warning to me as this is not remotely the kind of "chocolate" quality I'd look for in a beer), with wints of wine, raisin, and metal.Overall, it's a litle off-putting.

The taste is vague winey-fruity with tanginess and a fleeting hint of Hershey's chocolate, but otherwise thin, one-dimensional, and bland, bland, bland. This is about as boring a beer as I have ever had.

04-07-2009 23:56:13 | More by Offa
geokills

2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

Allow me to preface this review by suggesting that the particular bottle acquired (from the Toronado Pub in San Francisco), may have turned prior to drinking.

That said, after having heard the Trappistes hailed as something of benevolence time and time again, I was more than a little excited - even to pay $11 for this single 11.2 fl oz bottle - and couldn't hardly wait to pop the top on this one. Unfortunately, I was presented with a disaster.

Pouring a muddy brown with large solids visible, I will give this brew some merit upon its wonderfully light mouthfeel, hints of fragrant apple and beautiful lacing. On the flip side of the coin, I simply didn't find any balance in the flavor here, the affront of alcohol leaving a sour aftertaste on my tongue akin to that found from a bottle of cheap vodka. I can only hope that this was on account of my particular bottle having gone bad and should my next encounter with this product ring upon a more positive note, I will be back to tell you about it!

07-14-2007 00:23:57 | More by geokills
bobhits

Kentucky

2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

A. Large tan head that dissipates into a thin foam. Dark thick burgundy colored. Fairly Opaque

M. Sweet, slightly fruity. There is a very "Belgium" smell to it. I'd say it's the mix of the yeast and I'm assuming wheat? Almost has and apple cider smell.

T. Once again I'm getting apple cider. Belgium yeast/wheat flavor. Very watery tasting. A bit of a spicy flavor as well.

M. Light thin texture with some light bubbles

D. There is a mix of the odd carbonation and some alcohol flavor here that is a bit off putting. It's got the body of a light beer so clearly one could chug it. I certainly am not being drawn in by this one so.

Overall it's drinkable but barely. It's also really expensive, not recommended.

06-28-2008 01:52:48 | More by bobhits
waughbrew

2.42/5  rDev -41.7%

Acorn colored with a huge small-bubbled but not-creamy off-white head on top. Smell is minerally, oily, and a bit orangy. Flavor is not pleasurable to me. I cannot stop thinking of gasoline. Hot alcohol and a very nut-oily, medium-thick, sweet, pretty 1-dimensional taste. Hints of chocolate and cherries, but the reminiscence of rum just turns me off. It improves drastically as it gets to room temperature, but to my palate it still seems amateurish compared to what I want from a strong Belgian dark ale. Scratch the sweet rumminess and whatever else makes me think of gasoline, and I might enjoy it. Apparently Rochefort beers are not my bag.

10-18-2006 03:28:39 | More by waughbrew
Northsider

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

Got this in bottle from West Lakeview Liquors.

I honestly don't understand how beers like this score so highly. All I tasted in this beer was alcohol. There was nothing "beery" whatsoever that I was able to pull out. I might as well have been drinking rum or scotch. It poured dark brown, with tanish head. Aroma was alcohol. Taste was alcohol. Mouthfeel was completely over carbonated, and after a sip from the bottle it almost exploded in my face. Overall, Not impressed whatsoever.

07-31-2011 23:08:38 | More by Northsider
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured this beer into a chalice from the 11.2 oz bottle. Its color is a medium brown/amber with very little head that is a light tan. However, it has moderate carbonation. The smell is a very light malty and sweet scent. It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel but not much taste; I have found this true for all three of the Rochefort beers. I keep waiting for the flavor to kick in and it doesn’t. It has all the earmarks of a great beer but just doesn’t deliver on the flavor. My favorite out of the three was the 8, followed by the 10. It’s drinkable, but why when I can find better Trappist beers.

01-17-2006 23:44:12 | More by TheEclecticGent
hustlesworth

2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

SAD FACE

A- full, frothy head sizzles away rapidly leaving the beer with a flat appearance, just like a glass of iced tea.

S- softly aromatic fruits and vanilla caramel dominate along with some sweet wine undertones. melon and pear, and a touch of coffee-like roastiness and milk chocolate.

T- weak and diluted. subtle grains and fruit with a touch of alcohol.

MF- overly carbonated and stinging. does not allow any fullness to be felt.

D- **** there is definitely something wrong here. the "expiration date" is 060213 so i'm assuming this bottle is about 3 years old. should have had plenty of time to develop but maybe the yeast ate up everything and just left me with bubbles. i was very excited about this beer and feel hugely disappointed. at least i can rely on the couple bottles i have of 8 and 10 and i WILL re-review this 6 when i get a better, perhaps younger, bottle.

08-09-2011 03:20:20 | More by hustlesworth
CortexBomb

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured into a narrow top goblet, sediment kept in the bottle.

Pour is deep copper with a 1.5 inch white head on top. Nose is heavy on the figs, esters from the yeast, sugar. Appealing.

Taste starts out mild and spicy with a much lighter fruit presence than the nose...a bit of grape a skosh of cherry. A touch of alcohol on the finish. Honestly disappointing.

The mouth on this, about average. Drinkability is decent as far as the actual drinking goes, but for the price the likelihood of rebuy is close to nil. This beer is flat out destroyed by almost everything Unibroue does at about 1/2 the price. If I'm going to spend money on a Belgian I would much rather have the 8 or 10 from Rochefort, which are both excellent beers.

The bottom line: Surprisingly disappointing. I love Belgian beers and I like the other offerings from Rochefort. 6 lacks the depth that I expect from them, and with the price on the bottle, I expect a lot more.

02-05-2008 04:13:12 | More by CortexBomb
Damian

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Drank from a 11.2 fl. oz/330 ml bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a translucent, murky brown with a touch of crimson. The frothy, light tan, one-finger head faded to a clingy film of lace that lasted throughout the drink.

The aroma was subdued initially but came out more as the beer warmed. Rich, toasted malts, Belgian yeast and Belgian candi sugar were apparent. A spicy (cinnamon and allspice), herbal quality was also quite noticeable, along with a distinct rumminess. As the beer continued to warm, the alcohol became pervasive.

The taste was somewhat thin and rather sharp. Toasted malts were noticeable up front with spices coming in mid-palate. The finish was spicy and rather hot for a mere 7.5% ABV. A slightly herbal, medicinal hoppiness was detectable as well.

The mouthfeel was one of the worst I have ever experienced. This beer was so over carbonated that it felt like an airy, prickly mass on my tongue. Even as the beer sat, it never settled down.

Overall, this beer was a disappointment (especially when compared to the 10). In its defense however, I may be scoring the taste too low simply because the carbonation did not give the liquid sufficient time to settle on my palate.

08-09-2007 04:40:00 | More by Damian
ibbjamin

Paid $5.49 for an 11.2 oz bottle from BevMo in San Jose, CA. Poured into a snifter.

Half inch of rather fizzy off white head. The head retains quite well. A very dark, opaque, burnt brown/orange color. Minimal lacing.

Smells very dank, in its literal meaning. Candied figs and raisins. More smooth than overly sweet. Greatness.

The flavor is more mild than the nose and leaves me somewhat disappointed.

The mouth is rather fizzy and not as smooth as I like for a beer of this style and price. Rather uneventful and forgettable.

Well at this price range, drinkability is not too good as I feel somewhat jipped on the single bottle I bought.

The Rochefort 8 is my favorite of the 6, 8 and 10 by a longshot.

11-19-2008 03:55:52 | More by ibbjamin
jwinship83

11.2oz bottle drank out of my trappist chimay challice. been looking forward to this for a while. the bottle is on the fresher side, but i cant recall the exact best by date.

A- this one pours out a slightly translucent muddy brown colored body with a pretty large khaki colored head on top. the head lasts for a good while and levaes behind random spots of lacing.

S- after my initial whiff, roasted malts are the first things that enter my mind. after that i pick up on some belgian yeast and very ripe plums. there is also a softer cherry note to this. a little bit of milk chocolate towards the middle along with some green apple skin. slightly earthy hops at the end.

T- the taste starts out with some lightly roasted malts and quickly moves into fruit country. raisins and plum lead the way. there are also minor notes of cherries and a touch of green apple. a distinct belgian yeast strain also makes an appearance. slightly earthy on the finish.

M- light bodied. almost too light for the intense level of carbonation that this one brings.

O- i feel that this is the weakest that i have tried of the rochefort family. certainly the weakest of the main three. i dont see myself paying the same price for this as i would the 8 ever again.

04-05-2011 04:38:00 | More by jwinship83
alexhahn82

A - Not a full filtered beer, slightly cloudy but slightly clear as well. .5 finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Yeast! But a very distinct, sweet and rich smell, I like it ALOT!

T/M - Taste is very minimal, almost pissed me off at first then I realized its a well hidden 7.2% beer. Mouthfeel is very tame, no carbonation in mouthfeel, though overall there is carbonation in the beer.

O - Not the best Trappist beer I have had, and definitely not the worst. Don't seek this one out, but don't avoid it if its there.

PP (Price Point) - $4.99 for an imported Trappist beer is fair, considering what some U.S. brewers charge for a 12ozer, 7.2% is very nice. Mid range, you decide!

06-29-2011 02:45:20 | More by alexhahn82
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Pours a dark rust red when held to the light, and is topped by a somewhat loose light tan head. Initially about 3/4 inch high it drops at a leisurely pace, then provides a scant covering. Once out of the light, looks more brown with some red highlights. The head appears to have some pink highlights.

Not picking up too much aroma. Going to go clean my bowl and let this one warm up a bit...alright then. Got a nice piece of black tar for after, but for now... back to the beer. It's warmed up a bit, and I'm picking up a sourish component similar to Flemish reds/browns. Some light raison, no evidence of hopping here in the nose.

Flavor is complex, in that there is a lot going on, but I'm having a bit of trouble picking any one thing out. I'll let it warm further... Strong raisons and black pepper, grapes, a bit of lemon. Not quite cinnamon, but maybe nutmeg? Not sure. More bittering than the nose suggested. This has been a challenge for me.

Soft on the palate, medium to full in body, and a smooth texture.

Drinkable, but I made the mistake of serving too cold. Took awhile to warm up so I could smell and taste it. Even so, I had a hard time picking out much in both categories. I'll have to try this again, and give it another chance. But I suppose that maybe it's just not for me, despite it's reputation.

08-01-2009 01:13:36 | More by dancinwillie
DARIVA

Netherlands

3.03/5  rDev -27%

A: Cloudy dark beer with a small head.

S: Sweet beer with the presence of a bit of caramel.

T: This beer has a fairly neutral taste with a bit of anise and some raisins.

M: Decent tingling with a reasonable foam feel.

O: Fair beer but not really special.

03-26-2012 19:26:34 | More by DARIVA
clvand0

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

This beer pours a cloudy brown as do the other Rochefort beers. The aroma is very much the same as the others too. The taste is not as strong as the 8 or the 10 but it has a very strong hint of coffee - which I did not care for. I recommend the 8 over all others.

05-02-2003 20:37:10 | More by clvand0
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

33cl bottle poured into Grimbergen Chalice

Bottle code 080714

A- Dark ruddy red body with lots of sediment poured in. 2 finger creamy tan head reduces instantly almost, leaving a faint crown with little to no lacing.

S- A little peppery spice with a faint toffee malt note. Very subtle

T- Faint vanilla and toffee malt. You really have to concentrate to pick these flavours up though. Finish is semi dry.

M- High carbonation, possibly a touch thin body.

D- Ummm, struggling to sum this beer up really. Probably because i found it so bland. Carbonation and dryness levels on the tongue were right for a trappist dark ale but there was just no complexity in the nose or on the palate. Really forgettable. Will need to hunt down a fresher example.

08-09-2011 22:03:00 | More by seanyfo
theopholis

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance- Body is a dark, fairly clear amber. The head was an o-ff-white with little staing power and no lacing,.

Aroma- Somewhat sour smell, but not sour-mash. Very clean, slightly malty. Slighty sweet when you get your nose down into the glass. A little to delicate for my honker.

Taste- A very smokey, slightly malty taste up front. Not much malt sweetness left. The hops are very well blended into a seamless middle bitterness. Has a very hot and spicey finish.

Carbonation- Personally, I thnk this beer is way over-carbonated. It deadens the tounge so much, you miss a lot of the flavor. Body is medium.

Drinkability- The taste is very interesting, but the overcarbonation really turns me off.

07-17-2007 04:44:47 | More by theopholis
babaracas

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a murky reddish brown with fizzy off-white head. Smell: nutty, a little brown sugar and raisin. Pretty laid back. Taste: a little date, nutty, unfiltered apple juice. Feel: the big problem here is that it's over-cabonated, almost a seltzer feel. This was a disappointment, and not old by any means. Best by code: 04-11-14 == bottled on 11/4/2009.

07-24-2010 02:16:19 | More by babaracas
keithmurray

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

appearance - cloudy brown/chestnut color with a tan head that dissiated quickly

smell - brown sugar, raisins, plums

taste - yikes! This is kind of sour/weird. Im picking up a flavor like this has been not stored properly

mouthfeel - medium bodied, ample carbonation

Drinkability - this must have been a bad bottle, this is nowhere near the expereience I expected given the high ratings for this beer. I'm really disappointed, I had the Rochefort 10 and that was phenomenal.

01-23-2011 01:15:56 | More by keithmurray
RedHaze

Nebraska

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

best by 220311 on the label.

Pours a hazy dark mahogany, with a very dense two finger head that takes forever to fade to a thick cap. The subsequent lacing completely covers the inside of my glass.

Smell; this has a mildly chalky yeasty aroma, with some traces of alcohol. Once this warms up a little a some dark fruits come out, as well as a little bit of toffee, but they're not as noticeable as I was expecting.

Taste; as with the aroma the flavor comes off as a bit chalky, but it doesn't fade from the flavor as it did in the smell. There are some dark fruits, with dates and raisins and caramel and toffee, but due to that chalkiness they just don't seem to able to stand out all that much. I don't think I don't think I've ever had this problem with a Rochefort beer before, and maybe I just needed to let it sit for a little longer before drinking it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a bit of a biting carbonation. The drinkability is decent but the chalkiness gives this a bit of a drying effect, and not really in a good way. Maybe I'll have to give this another shot sometime in the future.

03-30-2007 02:05:44 | More by RedHaze
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

Got this at the bottle shop down the road.

From a bottle into a Rochefort Chalice.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1 finger medium-thin looking smooth tan head that slowly fades away to a thick film cap. Color is a mahogany or sienna brown and is slightly muddy. A little carbonation evident. A nice thick cap stays until the end and leaves some lacing as well. Head is great, color not so much.

SMELL: Rich caramel malt and toffee up front. Some brown sugar and hints of sweet pears and apples as well. Spicy elements come out, clove and coriander come to mind. Mildly strong and quite complex, though I can definitely see how some might describe this as "funky."

TASTE: Caramel malt, brown sugar and toffee up front. A touch of sweet apple and pears shines though before the spicy cloves and alcohol come through at the end. A strong sweet and spicy alcohol aftertaste is long lasting and strong enough to remind you it's a "strong" ale. Relatively complex, though not all that memorable.

PALATE: Thin body with medium carbonation and a bit airy on the way down. This one gives you the burps for sure. Not creamy or overly smooth on the palate, but it goes down without a bite and finishes with a touch of dryness on the palate. This one is too thin and airy, and could definitely be a little smoother and creamer. A bit of a let-down.

OVERALL: Decent brew, but the palate was a definite let down, which also hurts its drinkability. The color is a little off putting as well. Like the eight, the six is not nearly as impressive as the greatly superior Roch 10. Unfortunately, this one is probably a bit more about hype than the brew itself.

05-25-2009 14:00:06 | More by Jeffo
SolomonGrundy

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

Liked the 10 so much I decided to go for the less-expensive brother of the bunch (and that's a relative term at $4.99/11.20z. bottle)...Rusty and cloudy amber in color, this pours with a goodly head that settles into a half-finger of soapy goodness. Good lacing. Aroma carries some heavy astringent qualities not seen in the elder brother - some metallic notes also. Lacking some of the finer nuances of a good Belgian ale. Flavor makes up for it, though, with some good complexity. Nice malty notes upfront give way to some nice carbonation, and the flavor evolves into something a tad thinner than I expected. So far this is not in the same Universe as the 10. At 7.5% ABV this is a fine, sessionable ale, but the price kills any kind of drinkability for me. The finish is neither long nor memorable. Mayhaps I got a bad bottle of this???

What I like most: The initial malt burst in the flavor.

What I like least: the price and somewhat lacking aroma profile.

Verdict: Even at the lower price-point, I would never choose this over the 10. This is simply not worth the hefty pricetag, although not a bad beer.

10-22-2010 03:45:23 | More by SolomonGrundy
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Ah, finally I've managed to get my grubby mitts on the Rocheforts. Decided to start small with the red cap 6 and work my way up.

Poured into a chalice, a cloudy black tea hue (Red Rose anyone?), suspended yeast particles that quickly settle to the bottom. Almost a gossamer textured cinnamom toned head with great retention. Amazing head, it's pretty unique.

Notes of icing sugar and salt are the first characteristics I pick out in the nose. Next come a train of P's, notes of pear, pinapple and candied papaya. A layer of rich malt and dry chocolate surfaces, along with a dry, musty sensation.

Dry dark chocolate up front in the flavour, some prunes and dates in the middle, along with---uh, dark leafy greens?--THAT was quite the plot twist, and finishing with a margarita salt finish. Huh....

The mouthfeel is just as ambiguous as the flavour, velvety smooth but light and watery, becoming foamy towards the finish and effervescent on the finish and aftertaste. Never had anything like it before.

Well, those people in the local area coveting this stuff can rest easier at night now, because this isn't really an ale I'd like to revisit, more for you. Pretty anti-climactic after all of the hype. Glad I started at the bottom, it can only go up from here (I hope).

04-12-2006 04:29:46 | More by IronDjinn
bark

Sweden

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

The colour is brown-red; the fizzing head disappears at once. The liquid is somewhat cloudy with some "floats".

The smell is sour/bitter with some fruity notes of green apples and a stale earthy note.

The taste is less musty. Sweet matured fruity flavours develop with some mild earthy/yeasty flavours. More notes of malt (somewhat roasted) than expected. Very balanced and kept-together. The aftertaste got notes of matured apples, prunes and gravy, hints of wheat meal and fresh bread. No alcohol whatsoever.

Although the beer has been open for half an hour (while getting the right temperature), the carbonation is fresh, almost strong: Lots of small tickling bubbles. The liquid is a little thin, especially at 7.5%.

At this strength, this is one insidious beer.

09-09-2008 19:47:02 | More by bark