Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros

capnjack78, May 10, 2013

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

marshmeli, Feb 04, 2013
2.05/5  rDev -50.6%

Bottle into Rochefort chalice.

Looks like a dark cream soda. The head violently bubbled away as quickly as I could pour. A light tan head dissolved almost entirely before my first sip.

Smells of some caramel malt, sweet bready malt note, some ginger root, big Belgian yeasty vibe, and some dark fruits like plums and/or raisins.
The flavor is much the same with a touch of an earthiness to boot.

Feels a little overcarbonated, and therefore a little thin as a result.

Overall-- meh. I've had many better Belgian Dark Ales. This one is unimpressive to me.

AleWatcher, May 15, 2012
2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

Ugh, this was bland, weak, one-dimensional, and to me a total waste.

Red amber, it has a huge light tan head, steadily shrinking and leaving only a weak trace of lace.

The aroma is Hershey's chocolate (not rich or dakr chocolate, or cocoa - the first clear warning to me as this is not remotely the kind of "chocolate" quality I'd look for in a beer), with wints of wine, raisin, and metal.Overall, it's a litle off-putting.

The taste is vague winey-fruity with tanginess and a fleeting hint of Hershey's chocolate, but otherwise thin, one-dimensional, and bland, bland, bland. This is about as boring a beer as I have ever had.

Offa, Apr 07, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

A. Large tan head that dissipates into a thin foam. Dark thick burgundy colored. Fairly Opaque

M. Sweet, slightly fruity. There is a very "Belgium" smell to it. I'd say it's the mix of the yeast and I'm assuming wheat? Almost has and apple cider smell.

T. Once again I'm getting apple cider. Belgium yeast/wheat flavor. Very watery tasting. A bit of a spicy flavor as well.

M. Light thin texture with some light bubbles

D. There is a mix of the odd carbonation and some alcohol flavor here that is a bit off putting. It's got the body of a light beer so clearly one could chug it. I certainly am not being drawn in by this one so.

Overall it's drinkable but barely. It's also really expensive, not recommended.

bobhits, Jun 28, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -43.4%

Allow me to preface this review by suggesting that the particular bottle acquired (from the Toronado Pub in San Francisco), may have turned prior to drinking.

That said, after having heard the Trappistes hailed as something of benevolence time and time again, I was more than a little excited - even to pay $11 for this single 11.2 fl oz bottle - and couldn't hardly wait to pop the top on this one. Unfortunately, I was presented with a disaster.

Pouring a muddy brown with large solids visible, I will give this brew some merit upon its wonderfully light mouthfeel, hints of fragrant apple and beautiful lacing. On the flip side of the coin, I simply didn't find any balance in the flavor here, the affront of alcohol leaving a sour aftertaste on my tongue akin to that found from a bottle of cheap vodka. I can only hope that this was on account of my particular bottle having gone bad and should my next encounter with this product ring upon a more positive note, I will be back to tell you about it!

geokills, Jul 14, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -41.7%

Acorn colored with a huge small-bubbled but not-creamy off-white head on top. Smell is minerally, oily, and a bit orangy. Flavor is not pleasurable to me. I cannot stop thinking of gasoline. Hot alcohol and a very nut-oily, medium-thick, sweet, pretty 1-dimensional taste. Hints of chocolate and cherries, but the reminiscence of rum just turns me off. It improves drastically as it gets to room temperature, but to my palate it still seems amateurish compared to what I want from a strong Belgian dark ale. Scratch the sweet rumminess and whatever else makes me think of gasoline, and I might enjoy it. Apparently Rochefort beers are not my bag.

waughbrew, Oct 18, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

Got this in bottle from West Lakeview Liquors.

I honestly don't understand how beers like this score so highly. All I tasted in this beer was alcohol. There was nothing "beery" whatsoever that I was able to pull out. I might as well have been drinking rum or scotch. It poured dark brown, with tanish head. Aroma was alcohol. Taste was alcohol. Mouthfeel was completely over carbonated, and after a sip from the bottle it almost exploded in my face. Overall, Not impressed whatsoever.

Northsider, Jul 31, 2011

jubie921, Mar 30, 2014

ScottSlusser, Jun 27, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured this beer into a chalice from the 11.2 oz bottle. Its color is a medium brown/amber with very little head that is a light tan. However, it has moderate carbonation. The smell is a very light malty and sweet scent. It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel but not much taste; I have found this true for all three of the Rochefort beers. I keep waiting for the flavor to kick in and it doesn’t. It has all the earmarks of a great beer but just doesn’t deliver on the flavor. My favorite out of the three was the 8, followed by the 10. It’s drinkable, but why when I can find better Trappist beers.

TheEclecticGent, Jan 17, 2006

SAD FACE

A- full, frothy head sizzles away rapidly leaving the beer with a flat appearance, just like a glass of iced tea.

S- softly aromatic fruits and vanilla caramel dominate along with some sweet wine undertones. melon and pear, and a touch of coffee-like roastiness and milk chocolate.

T- weak and diluted. subtle grains and fruit with a touch of alcohol.

MF- overly carbonated and stinging. does not allow any fullness to be felt.

D- **** there is definitely something wrong here. the "expiration date" is 060213 so i'm assuming this bottle is about 3 years old. should have had plenty of time to develop but maybe the yeast ate up everything and just left me with bubbles. i was very excited about this beer and feel hugely disappointed. at least i can rely on the couple bottles i have of 8 and 10 and i WILL re-review this 6 when i get a better, perhaps younger, bottle.

hustlesworth, Aug 09, 2011

allbrigs, Mar 08, 2013

LuckyLemans, Aug 03, 2014

ajs4bd, Jul 11, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured into a narrow top goblet, sediment kept in the bottle.

Pour is deep copper with a 1.5 inch white head on top. Nose is heavy on the figs, esters from the yeast, sugar. Appealing.

Taste starts out mild and spicy with a much lighter fruit presence than the nose...a bit of grape a skosh of cherry. A touch of alcohol on the finish. Honestly disappointing.

The mouth on this, about average. Drinkability is decent as far as the actual drinking goes, but for the price the likelihood of rebuy is close to nil. This beer is flat out destroyed by almost everything Unibroue does at about 1/2 the price. If I'm going to spend money on a Belgian I would much rather have the 8 or 10 from Rochefort, which are both excellent beers.

The bottom line: Surprisingly disappointing. I love Belgian beers and I like the other offerings from Rochefort. 6 lacks the depth that I expect from them, and with the price on the bottle, I expect a lot more.

CortexBomb, Feb 05, 2008

hermit990, Mar 23, 2013

Chokobo, Feb 16, 2013

ErwinGS, Nov 24, 2012

tedho21, Jun 14, 2014

TubaDan, Aug 11, 2014

M_chav, Jun 28, 2014
2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Drank from a 11.2 fl. oz/330 ml bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a translucent, murky brown with a touch of crimson. The frothy, light tan, one-finger head faded to a clingy film of lace that lasted throughout the drink.

The aroma was subdued initially but came out more as the beer warmed. Rich, toasted malts, Belgian yeast and Belgian candi sugar were apparent. A spicy (cinnamon and allspice), herbal quality was also quite noticeable, along with a distinct rumminess. As the beer continued to warm, the alcohol became pervasive.

The taste was somewhat thin and rather sharp. Toasted malts were noticeable up front with spices coming in mid-palate. The finish was spicy and rather hot for a mere 7.5% ABV. A slightly herbal, medicinal hoppiness was detectable as well.

The mouthfeel was one of the worst I have ever experienced. This beer was so over carbonated that it felt like an airy, prickly mass on my tongue. Even as the beer sat, it never settled down.

Overall, this beer was a disappointment (especially when compared to the 10). In its defense however, I may be scoring the taste too low simply because the carbonation did not give the liquid sufficient time to settle on my palate.

Damian, Aug 09, 2007