Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
Reviews: 932 | Hads: 2,186
4.27/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A mais abaixo da média de todas as Rochefort, porém uma grande cerveja, agradável e uma boa representante do estilo. Não se trata das mais admiradas cervejas, mas compõe bem a respeitada trilogia Rochefort. Vida longa a Abadia Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy. (258 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a clear medium brown with nice head and good lacing. Aroma is sweet and fruity a little like figs. Taste is fruity with a subtle sweetness and just a slight bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, with nice carbonation. Overall an incredible beer, wish I had more than one... (321 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Dark reddish amber, slightly cloudy with 1" of thick rough head that sticks around a long time. Just the look makes my mouth water.
S: A rich aroma of malt, slight hints of chocolate, coffee & mild phenols. Slightly sweet, reminds me somewhat of a dubbel.
T: A wonderfully unique taste. Slightly sweet, very malty, almost no hop character. Fruitiness typical of the style is present but quite mild, as is the alcohol. Not sure why, but the taste isn't what I expected. Delightful brew.
M: Smooth & very rich but not creamy, lots of fizz.
D: Very drinkable, smooth and tasty. It's not my favorite Trappist beer, but still worthy of another sample. (653 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

LOOK. Full of life and a seductive crackling fizz on first pour. However, the head and lace dissipated rather quickly.

SMELL. Dried fruit, bread crust, milk chocolate.

BODY & TASTE. Soft and medium with a crackling fizz. Begins with a slight sweetness which then expresses itself with subtle notes of dark dried fruit and spice. Yeasty, herbal notes persists throughout. Then, finishing it off is note of dried fruit which tastes more like cocoa powder as it lingers.

AFTERMATH. Love it with carrot cake, or perhaps a cinnamon-based dessert. Caramelized pears. Fuhgedibowdit. (579 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy brow color with a big head which quickly dissipates
S: Nutty and frutty, somewhat spicy, bread is there too
T: Malty and frutty again, a bit bit sour, bread in the aftertaste, almost no bitterness
M: Watery mouthfeel, good carbonation level
O: Pleasant beer, no more no less (283 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer pours a brownish, almost purple color. Immediately it has a two finger head which disappears rather quickly. The smell almost has a liquor smell to it. A sweet malty smell; caramel.

The taste is really big; strong malt favor with a hoppy aftertaste. Very complex. There is a lot going on with this beer. It taste kind of a floral hint to it. It is kind of sweet, but not too sweet. It is very heavy and I would not recommend this beer to a lot of people, but I think it is really very good. Honestly to me this beer almost tastes like a nice red wine.

Though this is not my favorite beer I have tried I have to say that I have to really respect its characteristics. Just because I am not huge into it does not mean that it is not an extremely well crafted beer. I am no judge. This beer is very complex and takes a while to drink because you taste something different almost every time you pick up your glass. I would recommend this beer. (951 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Golden colored ale, cloudy with a lot of particulate most settles to the bottom but a lot of it continues to float within the brew, thick white medium density head that clears fairly quickly.

Aroma: Complex, sweet and yet spicy. I could smell the hops but the sweetness of the malts is present as well. It also has some pronounced fruit smells.

Taste: This is where you just want to climb inside the glass. Rich malts moderate sweetness, light hoppiness. The flavor is so well blended that it seems like you catch them all at once. It is simply delicious, the flavors are very well balanced with the light hopps, you can also taste the sweetness. All of these flavors really mix well and are very nice. I can't imagine a brew much better than this.

Mouthfeel:
Moderate density, smooth, lightly carbonated, near the bottom you'll get the particulate more, but it doesn't detract. (893 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

A fine burgundy into a chalice, quite the attractive one. The head is slightly off-white and has decent retention.

The aroma is textbook Belgian Dark. Dried fruit, a little alcohol, a little spice, and a touch of malt sweetness to top it all off. I get Pavlovian when I smell beers like this...

The first thing I notice on my tongue is a nice tart cherry sourness, rapidly followed by some yeasty spice and alcohol on the finish, which is slightly dryer than expected, though not truly dry. The carbonation is fine, and it gives it a lightness of body than, quite honestly, I find refreshing.

All in all, I like this beer a lot. It's not quite a world-beater, but still a very tasty beverage that, if not for the price, I would go back to often. (750 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: I poured this from the bottle at about 40F and man what a head this thing pours like 3 inches!!! Its a cloudy medium brown beer in color.

S: ok call me crazy but it smells like a sweet iced tea to me. Sweet malt hits the nose with no hops detected at all. I can smell the yeast very nice and complex.

T: well I know why i love Belgians, so complex and in your face beers. First thing hits me is the malt and plum sweetness. Your NOT going to find any hops because the malt and yeast favors so balance it out. good stuff. the after taste is a tad boozy until it warms up near 60F. lots of grape. leather, woody flavors going on here.

M: thick and rich, no carbonation after the head dies.

D: easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol does not hit you until you throw down 4 or 5 lol (784 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

(A) An amber to almost a brown in color that was incedibly hazy. 1cm head that held through out the beer. Small amounts or yeast floating in this one.

(S) Semi- sweet with oak and earthy undertones. Tough to put a true nose on this one.

(T) Surprisingly malty and slightly crisp. Can pick up a slight roasted malt flavor that hits the back part of the palate. Overall mild in flavor and very unique.

(M) Light and almost felt flat on the tongue.

(D) Very drinkable! Mild flavor makes for a great sesson beer that is if price is not an option. (546 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured out a nice mahogany brown with an off-white head that retained very well. Smells of bread/yeast yeast with some fruit and raisin notes. Taste has a slight breadyness to it, with the alcohol being hidden very well. Mouthfeel is well carbonated with a wet finish. Not my favorite, would prefer the 10 but still a great drink. (330 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

Expectations are a funny thing. They can mess with your view of a beer, both for the better and for the worse. And with a beer like Rochefort, it's hard NOT to have expectations. This is a beer with a reputation for being world class.

But is it?

The answer is, yes. Yes, it is. Allow me to explain.

Appearance - Poured a relatively fresh (Oct. 2010) bottle of the 6 into a flute glass (poor glassware choice in retrospect). The color was a deep orange brown, looking not unlike a forest floor in autumn. Even with a gentle pour it generated three fingers of creamy, tan head. A very appetizing looking beer.

Smell/Nose - Here's where I was thrown off. I expect a world class beer to have a world class aroma, but I honestly felt myself slightly underwhelmed by Rochefort 6. Maybe it's the big IPAs and Imperial Stouts I've been drinking this winter, almost all of which fill the nose with heady aromas, but this left me unimpressed. Smelled heavy with yeast, very sweet with hints of caramel. Not unpleasant, but also not alluring.

A beer, though, rises or falls on its taste ...

Taste - ... and here is where Rochefort 6 shines. The first sip was a little "meh," which surprised me. Got more head than beer. Nothing really stood out. Nothing grabbed me.

As the beer mellowed and warmed, though, it got better with each progressive sip. It tasted like a rich pastry bread in beer form, all sorts of bready and malty and delicious. A little sweet but subdued; caramel flavors but in perfect balance with everything else going on in the beer; dashes of raisin and the like; hints of grainy buttered bread.

By the end what had started as a decent but not mind-blowing beer turned out to be a stunner. Those who roll strictly with IPAs will probably be put off by the lack of up front hops, but folks who like a well-balanced beer that dabbles in all the taste textures beer has to offer will enjoy this.

Mouthfeel - Mild but mouth-pleasing carbonation and a full-bodied feel without being *heavy* made this a pleasant experience. As the beer approached warmer temperatures it felt fuller, smoother, and nicer on the tongue. Quite good.

Drinkability - It would be an understatement to say that the Rochefort 6 drank well. It's a very solid but not mindblowing 7.5 ABV, which means it's relatively strong, yet it doesn't drink like it. Goes GREAT with a meal (I had this alongside a pasta dish). Would make a great capper to an evening or would serve as an excellent standalone treat.

Bottom line: My glass started off underwhelming but by the end I felt as if Rochefort has earned its near legendary reputation. It's a rich, complex beer by any measure. Even at $6 a bottle, I'll be drinking this again. (2,710 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Pours a light brown almost apricot color.

S: Top notch...i don't even know how to describe this other than to say it smells like a fruit rollup. Fruits and sweetness galore.

T: Not hoppy...light roasted malt, not too sweet but perfectly balanced. Its funny...im having a tough time describing this and i think it might be the tastiest beer i have had...maybe ever.

M/D: A true enjoyment. Just enough carbonation to wake the palate. This is an exceptional brew. (466 characters)

This by far is the best Rochefort. It is just exploding with flavour that can not be topped. The aroma is top notch only to be out done ounce you get this wonderful beer on your tongue. When I drink this one it just relaxes me and takes away from the rush of our every day life and takes you to a place you will only understand when you have been to belgium to relax. With the lower alcohol content of the other Rocheforts you can drink this one all night. But even in Belgium this one is harder to come upon but it is out there in most gertrankmarts. I highly recommend this one to anyone looking for a bursting, flavorful beer. (629 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Not what I expected at all:( I don't think my bottle traveled well.
Taste was dark and dank. hints of strawberry and chocolate. beautiful bubble beer though, wonderfull inches of head atop a nice brown brew.
I'd love to try this beer iover in belgium I'm sure it would be very different. (288 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

well first of all i have been waiting a long time to try real trappist ale. i bought the rochefort 6,8,and 10. this is the first i decided to try hopefully im saving the best(10) for last... well im not dissapointed at all from this one its pretty much what i expected. the most suprising thing was the ammount of carbonation probably. i had read in other reviews that this was like the light version of trappist ale and with a ABV of 7.5 you could have fooled me to around 5% which is a good thing because the alcohol doesnt overwhelm the taste of the ale. I like it a lot and really respect and enjoy the quality put into brewing this. i will probably re review this later on when ive tried the other 2 (704 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a murky red brown with a nice head that dissipates to something spotty. Has a sweet, slightly fruity smell like prunes. The smell is not very heavy on yeast or hops. The mouthfeel is nice with slight carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well. The taste is ok. I think it's what I expected with a slight sweetiness of dark fruits like raisins and a barely noticeable warmth. However, it seems to be missing the taste of beer in that I can hardly taste the yeast and malted grains. All in all, I really like this beer. (520 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%

Served straight out of a fridge into a chalice.
Appearance - Cloudy hazel brown (a little like a cup of tea). Head had a subtle brown/red tinge that quickly faded to nothing (too cold?). What was left did not look appetising.
Smell - things started to pick up here. Winey plums and the sniff of warm alcohol and mollases. Intense.
Taste - bready malt, bags of estery red fruit and a sharp, lip-smacking dryness. At first somewhat harsh, but flavours rounded out as the beer warmed up.
Mouthfeel - Tightly carbonated, very spritzy and slightly oily on the tongue: Couldn't shake the feeling it was somehow at odds with the taste of this beer.
Drinkability - At this strength it's a one bottle round for me.
Notes: I was somewhat disappointed with this beer. I think the serving temp was wrong and so I'm not willing to give up on it yet... (844 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip shaped glass.

A: Deep hazy brown hue. A nice three fingers of off-white head but I'm surprised that its not lacing the glass as I drink down the beer.

S: Lots of crusty bread, dates, sour cherries.

T: The taste is more subdued than I was anticipating. Its got some sweet malt but its kind of tart in the finish.

M: Medium to light body with lots of tiny bubbles.

I like this beer but I was expecting to be a little more impressed. I actually thought its nose was its strong suit. I guess I need to try the 8 and the 10. (562 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Creamy head, dark amber color, more light brown

S- refreshing smell, there was almost a carbonation to it

T- Not an overwhelming taste, which can be good. Begins slightly fruity and crisp, and ends with a roasty/bready taste. Little to no alcohol taste

M- probably one of the best beers I have tasted in terms of mouthfeel. It felt just like Soda pop in my mouth, I faintly detected slight carbonation

O- very smooth, very crisp. Although the taste may be a bit underwhelming, especially after subsequent tastings. Lack of overwhelming alcohol taste a definite plus. although a bit on the light side of flavor, it is nonetheless a very good beer. (653 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 11.2oz.bottle. Began with a nice head that disappeared quickly, the color is a dark rusty orange, murky with tiny carbonation bubbles gently rising to the surface. The smell is of caramel and molasses, the flavor is very similar, don't detect any alcohol flavor.The mouthfeel is slightly watery around the edges of my tongue, this would be an extremely drinkable beer if it wasn't for the price. (409 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pours a rich, orangish-brown with about an inch of head that eventually recedes to a small ring around my glass. Good looking beer.

S: Fairly pronounced aroma, with chocolate and caramel probably the most prevalent. Very nice.

T: Initial flavor is a slight fruity sweetness that gives way to some rich coffee like notes. A very slight appearance by the hops in the end. This is one great tasting beer.

M: Smooth. Carbonated just about perfectly.

D: Very, very high for a beer with this level of complexity in flavor. The 7.5 is well masked. Two of these would make for a very nice way to wind down at the end of a day.

Overall: A truly great beer. Now I need to seek out the 8 and the 10. (697 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

33 cL from Groton Market

A - Pours a deep golden-ruby brown with a slightly off white mocha head that lasts quite a while.

Ar - Sorry I'm stuffed up.

T - Much lighter mouthfeel than anticipated. I served it a little too chilled but the malt sweetness still comes through. Definitely more raisiny than other dark fruit typical with these type of ales.

D - Porb one of the most drinkable 'dark ales' I've ever had. (416 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a snifter at about the right temperature, whatever that may be.

A - Murky amber in color with a thin but tight head - I could've poured it better. Nice bubble patterns on top.

S - Caramel, toffee, John's Delight (a favorite dessert of mine - bread pudding with molasses and raisins...), and a distinct burst of yummy, juicy tropical fruit come through in an awesome bouquet of aromas.

T, M, D - Very much like the aroma, 6 boasts subtle caramel notes along with a robust raisiny character. The spiciness of Belgian yeast shines midway through the swallow, and the beer finishes smoothly with just a hint of alcohol. Creamy but goes down well. A tad soda-like, however; perhaps this lack of "fullness" is due to having tried the 10 last night.

Would love to have more than the one I've got, though. (813 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

A - poured with a two finger head which isn't sticking around long. Eventually settles just for enough head to stay on top of the beer. No noticeable lace.

S - Brown sugar, prunes, perhaps some light toffee notes. I'm not getting much else out of it, it's pleasant, but can't figure out what the rest is.

T - First instinct was woody, earthy flavors, it wasn't what I expected from this beer. Other than that, light brown sugar maltyness, some slight dark fruity notes, I got a hint of booze at one point, but am not getting it anymore.

M - I'm pretty particular about the way the mouthfeel is. I think this would be better if the carbonation was a little less. But it is still quite nice.

D - I could have a couple of these, I don't think I would necessarily session, but I'm not having trouble putting this one back.

Good beer, I like it better than the 8. I'll probably pick this one up again. (901 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort