Follow our progress ...

Style: Dubbel

Added by Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Reviews: 966 | Ratings: 2,360
4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

A: This beer poured a dark amber almost had an orange tint to it. Produced some, but fairly little head, however, what head there was, seemed to withstand the whole drink.

S: The smell was outstanding, had a nice bright, fresh produce smell.

T: The taste was very similar to that of a green apple, however, more on the bitter end.

M: This beer wasn't overly full-bodied, it did end in my mouth somewhat dry, which in my opinion is a good thing, makes me want to continue drinking it.

D: I would have rated this beer higher on the drinkability, if I wasn't a poor college student. My consideration for beer drinkability is price, and availability, at nearly $7.00 per 11.2 FL OZ bottle, it left me wanting a larger quantity for my money, which is what held me back from ranking it any higher.

Overall, outstanding beer. I'd highly suggest this to you and yours. Here's to another beer. Cheers.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from bottle at home on May 21, 2010.

Pours a hazy copper golden color. Nice thick off-white head. Leaves minimal lacing.

Smells like fresh ripe banana; has a bready yeastiness, and a little bit of spice.

Tastes fruitier than it smells, banana flavors. Flavors subtle.

Creamier mouthfeel than I expected. Was quite fizzy.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

33cl btl purchased at Brussels grocery store.
BB 24/06/2020.
Served chilled in tulip on a hot day (31C).

Poured clear reddish brown. Very good head (almost spilling over the glass) but dissipated quickly.
Smell is fruit & nuts. Clean. Nothing hitting you over the head.

Taste is sharp, a bit malty, dry. A bit of sweetness on the aftertaste, some resin in the throat.
Delicious. This one goes down so easily, you might ask your server to come back sooner than later....

My Rochefort gold / silver/ bronze: 8 / 6 / 10.
And in my opinion the Rochefort labels rock classic...never change them.
Cheers.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

330 ml bottle poured into a Duvel chalice. Date on bottle was 22 03 11.

A: Pours a dark copper/walnut color, with quite a bit of head that subsided fairly quickly. The head was a cream color, and there was no lacing at all.

S: This was a real treat. Very sweet and malty up front with some fruity surprises, including grape and plum. The malt aroma was a burnt caramel/toffee.

T: Sweet and malty up front, fruity to follow. The burnt caramel is there, along with a grape flavor that is odd and good at the same time.

M: Very thin, decent carbonation but not too much, I didnt get the alcohol flavor or feel that others got.

D: Pretty easy, this is not a session beer, it is definitely one to be enjoyed.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

Pours light brown with amber highlights on the edges. Big light tan head with fine lacing.

Aroma is a little hay and herbs. Subdued.

Flavor is mild, compared to the Westmalle Dubbel I just drank. Mild wet hay, sharp alcoholic and carbonated bite. Flavors are melded well, with nothing really standing out. A bit of candi sugar, a bit of cocoa bean, even light coffee notes. Mild and enjoyable.

Overall it is good, but not as enjoyable as the Westmalle. The alcohol and carbonation bite throws it off a bit and overpowers the flavors.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

The 6 pours a cloudy hazelnut with a light tan one-finger head. The retention is less than optimal, leaving a ring around the rim within a minute or two.

The smell is brown sugar, fuming alcohol and dark fruits. The taste is more delicate than expected with a maltiness that is strangely both sweet and dry at the same time, similar to a prosecco in nature. Very faint grape skin and dark fruits fade to an underlying sawdust/musty taste present from the start.

The suspended carbonation is medium to high and it has a slightly buttery mouthfeel. The aftertaste is wet and fades to leave only traces of the musty flavor on the palate.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from 330ml to a Bruery tulip glass.
Bottle code: 28 01 14 14:31

Poured a hazy amber color with a nice off white head, great lacing and retention.
The nose was very fruity and spicy.
The initial taste was a bit sweet and a bit sour to me. I tasted fruity apple, caramel , lots of spice and a bit of an alcohol taste.
Light to medium body, a little sticky with great carbonation.
This was my first from Rochefort, and it was good - although not my favorite of the trappists so far.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A: A deep brown with lots of carbonation and head. Cloudy.

S: A very light fuity yeast aroma.

T: Sweetness from fuit and raisins with a small bit of spice. Beautiful flavor but very light.

M: The light, smooth flavors and heavy carbonation make for a light feel

D: Incredibly drinkable.

Overall it's a very good beer but it is certainly light. In fact too light to really enjoy all of the flavors. I'd take a Rochefort 8 over this anyday but I could certainly drink this all night.

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%

11.2oz bottle into Teku

Appearance: Gentle pours yields a huge 2+finger just off-white fluffy, rocky, slightly creamy head that shows some staying power until quickly large bubbles build and break, taking it down from the inside. A little bit clings to the glass, but lacing overall is a little washy and not all that impressive. Pours a slightly hazy dark brown-orange color with touches of red when held up to light. Really pretty.

Aroma: Big sweet notes of dark fruit - plums, raisins, figs - play beautifully with a sweet, caramelly, earthy maltiness. Notes of toffee and even a bit of sweet orange peel play here, along with just a touch of earthy spiciness - perhaps a faint bit of hops coming through? Also, plenty of booze.

Taste/Feel: Big prickly effervescent carbonation has plenty of bite, but leads the way to fainter-than-expected notes toffee, caramel, and faintly smoky maltiness that holds up nice big dark fruit notes - again, figs, plums, raisins. I personally think the amount of carbonation here floats a lot of the potentially thick and chewy flavors away, but per style guidelines, it's right on. It all drinks way lighter than you'd imagine from a 7.5% beer.

Overall: A really great example of the style, although be sure to let this one warm up a bit to tone down the aggressive carbonation. That'll allow all those good flavors to come through. When served at proper temp, it comes together beautifully. Many complex notes are held together in this beer to yield a really satisfying sip. I love the spiciness and touch of sweet citrus peel that I don't necessarily find in other examples. Keeps things relatively refreshing for a dubbel.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Dark nut brown. Hazy. Great off white head.

S - Figs. Dark Cherries. Red apples. Floral. Belgian yeast.

T - Fruits. Belgian yeast. Seedy crackers. Stone fruits.

M - Medium body. Lots of tingly bubbles. Mild dry finish.

O - A nice dark Belgian. Lots of fruity earthy flavors. Balanced malt. Would drink again.

This beer is one of those "beergeek" types. Almost no information on the label. Just the ingredients, that's it. From experience I know it's a dubbel, and a damn good one at that! Pours a lovely dark red color, with a thin layer of froth that stays for a very long time. Pretty sweet, almost no bitterness. Nice bubbliness. While I'm not usually a dubbel drinker, this great beer is very enjoyable!

3.81/5  rDev -7.5%

A: The beer had a mahogany color. There was a smooth, off-white head that lasted the entire glass.

S: I didn't smell anything too distinctive. There seemed to be some dried fruit aroma (like raisins). The smell had a sweetness to it.

T: Like the smell, the beer had a flavor that was slightly to the sweeter side of balanced. I tasted a dried fruit flavor, and I could also notice the slight sting of the alcohol.

M: The beer had more carbonation than I expected, but this was balanced by the creamy head. For some reason (probably the carbonation), the beer seemed thin.

D: The beer was pretty easy to drink. There weren't any overly strong flavors, and the beer had little bitterness. Overall, I liked the flavors in this beer, but they were subtly displayed. I also thought Rochefort 6 was similar in many ways to New Belgium's Abbey Belgian Style Ale, but the later is less expensive. I imagine the flavors in Rochefort 8 and 10 will be stronger and more complex.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

Heck yes THIS is a big time beer.

Classic tastes of the Trappists. Known to give a healthy does of beer flavor, yet still feels like you could be drinking a much lighter brew. Smells bready, tastes like straight up bread, a tiny bit bitter.

If you could drink alcoholic liquified bread, then why not? The main reason for me is that there is a slightly more expensive version of this - Rochefort 8 - and the small savings for a bottle of 6 doesn't justify the still high price.

2.43/5  rDev -41%

Allow me to preface this review by suggesting that the particular bottle acquired (from the Toronado Pub in San Francisco), may have turned prior to drinking.

That said, after having heard the Trappistes hailed as something of benevolence time and time again, I was more than a little excited - even to pay $11 for this single 11.2 fl oz bottle - and couldn't hardly wait to pop the top on this one. Unfortunately, I was presented with a disaster.

Pouring a muddy brown with large solids visible, I will give this brew some merit upon its wonderfully light mouthfeel, hints of fragrant apple and beautiful lacing. On the flip side of the coin, I simply didn't find any balance in the flavor here, the affront of alcohol leaving a sour aftertaste on my tongue akin to that found from a bottle of cheap vodka. I can only hope that this was on account of my particular bottle having gone bad and should my next encounter with this product ring upon a more positive note, I will be back to tell you about it!

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

A nice redbrown colour. Alot, and I mean ALOT of sediments!!!
So it´s all about giving it time!

Nose with alot of dried fruit, raisins, spices, a really nice floral component as well.

Nice consentrated flavours that follows the nose, that stays for a long long time!

This is one of the most flavourful beers I have had! Really complex, really refreshing and well balanced!
If you can get your hands on one, make sure you grab some!!

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The wife paid $4.50 for one of these at Trader Joe's and I held onto it for days, afraid to drink it because I checked out the review here. This is an amazing beer. Crisp, light, flavorful. Almost like they crossed a beer with a creme soda. I could drink this every single day until I died.

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 11.2 FL OZ bottle into tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazelnut caramel brown. Fair amount of sediment transfer. Brief fizzy head that leaves no lacing.

S- Rye bread, molasses, sweet caramel maltiness... And a weird barnyard funk. A unique scent, but I'm not finding it particularly enjoyable. This was my least favorite aspect of this beer.

T- Bready Belgian yeast and caramel biscuit coupled with a refreshingly light body and a good amount of carbonation. Flavors feel a bit dull. Transition is subdued with hints of slightly bitter grapes and brings us towards caramel granny smith apples and a bit of warmth. There's a much delayed mild kick of the aforementioned yeast profile which is a pleasant surprise. These flavors are right up my alley, but they just don't come alive.

M- Light bodied and a relatively high amount of carbonation. Leaves a little bit of sticky dryness.

O- Not a bad beer... Has the misfortune of being compared alongside the Rochefort 8 as well as other notorious Belgian strong darks. Will try again in the future, to see if maybe I just got a bad batch/bottle.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%

Many thanks to Lupe for providing this beer through a trade.

Pours a dark, murky brown with a light head that fades pretty quickly.

Lots of sweet fruits come through in the smell, especially cherries.

Taste is sweet, but not overly sweet, with a little bit of sourness hiding in there. Some cherry flavors, but also some yeasty type flavors going on. Not especially hoppy. Doesn't taste alcoholic at all.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, not particularly well carbonated. Very drinkable though.

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%

Found in the Belgium section of Lukas Licquors in Ellisville, MO (my new favorite store.)

Brown bottle with a seal that states, "Authentic Trappist Product."

Poured into a brandy snifter a cloudy dark brown opaque body with a quicklly disappearing soda-like head.

The scent of chocolate, caramel, and sugar in general permeate. Layers of buttery toffee. I cannot wait to taste this.

Rich roasted malt with an amazing caramel and toffee layer that is simply awesome. Burn of alcohol seems to be well hidden. This stuff is like candy but yet it isn't cloying. The one drawback is that I think that majority of alcohol has ended up on the bottom of the glass. I swirled it gently to try and mix it up but still it seemed to be futile. I experienced this same thing once before with Chimay, I am not sure if it is due to the shipping or if it had been sitting on the shelf for a long time or if I just didn't pour it hard enough. Despite this it is still a top notch beer. I was expecting it to be like Maudite, but it seemes more mellow. Quite enjoyable.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours dark and rich. Brown cloudy and amber. Slight head that quickly dissipates. Minimal spiderwebbing. Inviting looking.

Smell is very Belgian Trappist; dark and fruity. Hints of fresh baked bread. It smells like other beers this style, which I would normally rate a "average." Yet this just smells more right. More balanced.

Taste is wonderful! Now that not to call it the best beer I've had. It's one of those, "I know I've had better beers, but I really can't remember when." It's nothing against this beer, I've had a lot of different beers, and many are of them were before I found BA. . .

It's got a good mouthfeel. It's smooth, no burn, and no horrible after taste. It leaves a little something to be desired in the finish. It's almost like your tastes bud cry when you swallow it; which does diminish the experience slightly.

I did not give this one too high of a mark for drinkability. Better than average, sure; it tastes wonderful. But it is a higher than normal price, though lower than you would expect, so that's only a small part. It's not too heavy, it's too rich. This is an alternative to wine with cheese and crackers, or a nice way to finish off a good meal. You can definitely put several of the away in one sitting, but not at a BBQ or a big party. It's a sipper, not a chugger. You won't struggle to finish it by any means, but. . . Think of it like eggs Benedict vs a breakfast sandwich. They both have an English muffin, two eggs and ham. But add hollandaise sauce and it become very rich, and you are contented with the initial serving. An egg sandwich not so much, you need the hash brown and maybe some fruit to be contented. This is eggs Benedict, and something like a Guinness would be a egg sandwich, and a Budweiser would be an egg McMuffin. Point being, good to drink, but not one to drink well into the night.

4.41/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pricey Jewell

A. Cloudy, reddish amber color, nice fluffy three finger head That quickly simmers down

S. Fruit is the first thing I smell, apricot, apple, grape, then hint of dark fruit, fruit cake

T. The dark fruit, raisin, date, and grain. Very little sweet caramel. Light alcohol flavor

M. Nice combination of creamy, smooth champagne bubbles, medium mouth coat that leaves quick, to a dry finish

O. Wonderful combination of flavors, that has a surprising finish. Special occasion beer.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

I poured this at 42F into a Gulden Draak glass. It's fiercely carbonated, so I decided to let it warm up a bit in the glass before I even sniffed it. The haze began to clear as it came up to cellar temperature. I watched the foam dissipate quickly, leaving a ring and some flat islands on the surface. The aroma of chocolate covered, candied orange peel, popped into my head as if i had walked into a Brussels chocolate shop. It reminded me also of Sabra liqueur, for those familiar. This blew my mind. The citrus/spice/dark-fruit/malty sweetness in the mouth was sensational and everlasting. The alcohol is well hidden, but not for long, if you know what I mean. Not the greatest looking beer, but a wonderful sweet treat that gets better as it warms.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

( 27/50, 7.5% alc/vol, Autre Oeil, after 5 beers) Very quickly disappeared sand-colored
head that totally left within a few seconds. Brown ale, thick and dark. Chocolate and
coffee aromas. Sugars are dominant in this smokey (as in cigarette… due to the bar) and
extremely light aromatic ale. Nice but too light. Sweetness is too strong against a low
alcoholic ale. Covers up the oily hops and the malts flavours. Effects are there but
flavours don’t have enough potency to cut through. Very thick body, vinous and
voluptuous, this warm and chocolatey brew is smooth in the mouth and remains creamy
throughout. Sweet, creamy, chocolatey, but ultimately disappoints, specially compared to
the Rochefort 10™ . Light enough to drink a few straight anytime during supper with
pretty much anything that can handle a sweet addition.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a chalice. Poured a cloudy, medium brown with noticeable sediment. Small, fluffy, off-white head. Thin remnants of the head stayed around for the life of the drink.

Aroma of yeasty bread, with a bit of citrusy sourness.

Nice bready taste with some sort of spice that I can't quite place.

Medium body. Tingly, frothy beginning, then slightly oily, and finishing dry.

Not quite what I have come to expect from a strong Belgian ale, but very nice. A bit more refreshing than the heavier Belgians.

3.67/5  rDev -10.9%

I had high hopes for this brew but it did not live up to them.

The experience started out well enough. The beer poured a cloudy brown haze that was rather attractive with a solid head. It was almost completely opaque in the glass.

It smelled of hops and dark fruit and I was very much ready to try it.

When I actually tasted it though I found it to be a little too syrupy. It tasted like molasses. I really like the hop notes though. I didn't get much citrus but the piney bitterness was nice. It would be difficult to drink several of these but overall it was a very classic style ale and a good experience.

I'd drink it again.