Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

I have had the Rochefort 8 and 10 before. They were both very good Belgian Ales. I finally found the 6, which is the last one for me to try. Lets see if it holds up to the others.

A: Pours a real murky brown. Lots of sediment floating around. Head is rather large at first, but dissipates to a nice foamy layer on top of the beer.

S/T: Upon first smell, this is great. I get a lot of berries and fruit on the nose. I get strawberry, toffee, caramel. The taste just doesn't do the aroma justice. The first flavor I get is salami. I know that sounds weird, but I get a strong salted meat quality in there. After a couple more sips, it becomes more muted, but it still lingers in the finish. The taste overall is kind of hard to describe. I don't taste the berries I get in the aroma. There is a lot of spice like clove in there, as well as toffee and caramel. Maybe some figs and other dried fruits. Its weird, because the aroma is much different than the taste. It kind of throws me off a little. Probably my least favorite of the three.

M/D: Medium bodied. Well carbonated and creamy at the same time. This is a sipper. Definetly a beer to savor and not one to chug. Gets better as it goes, but not something I would drink on a regular basis. Watch out for fruit flies. They love this beer.

This beer is unique, to say the least. Based on the aroma, I thought this would have been my favorite of the three Rochefort beers. Its a decent tasting beer, but there are some flavors that don't mesh well. Overall, I think the 8 is the best. Got the best flavor balance without tasting too much like a fine wine. I would recommend it, but just don't expect it to match up to the 8 or 10.

OldSchoolGamer, Sep 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Nutty brown body, with a foamy tan head. Lots of carbonation.

Aroma: The aroma is not quite as strong as the 8 and the 10. There is a grainy maltiness, with sweet hint, a touch of chocolate, and some orange fruitiness.

Taste: The initial flavours are slightly woody and malty, with some mild chocolate, ripened dates, and a sweet breadiness. There are fruity elements, possibly oranges and bananas. The alcohol is more noticeable in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Quite a heavy feel, and oily texture. The carbonation is lively in the mouth.

Drinkability: Like the two stronger ales from the monks, this is brilliantly balanced, and drinkable. This is probably more drinkable than the other two with the lower ABV. Brilliant.

PartyBear, Sep 26, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

240713 08:09
Hazy light brown with small, off-white head.
Smell is sweet and raiseny, a bit vinous.
Taste is not as sweet,with spicy phenols, a bit of graininess and a hint of cocao powder.
Mouthfeel is heavily carbonated, medium light body.
Drinkability is good, the most approachable of the Rochefort line up. However, the lesser complexity makes the phenols a bit heavy.

ccrida, Sep 24, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a cloudy dark brown color with a large bubbly off white head.

Scent of dark fruit, sugar, earth, tobacco, grass and bready malts. Not too strong, just right for the strength.

Taste of dark fruit, molasses, oak, caramel, tobacco, and earth. Being two years old, it may be a bit past its prime, but it is still a tasty beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent bite of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Sep 19, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

11.2 oz bottle, exp. date 28/01/14, into a Duvel tulip. Part 1 in a back-to-back-to-back tasting of 6/8/10.

A: The yeastiest, cloudiest beer I've ever seen. The body is a completely opaque dull brown, topped with a dense, off-white, 2" head with moderate retention; not much lace.

S: Rich and mild, with dark fruits (mainly prunes) backed up with some deep malty sweetness and followed up with a supremely spicy finish - lots of cinnamon. Very well balanced and complex.

T: Starts out with a surprisingly understated sweet fruit flavor, followed by the spice from the yeast, and finished off with a dry warming flush of alcohol - kind of surprising for the lowest ABV in the Rochefort line-up. Overall this beer is tasty, but not amazing.

M: Medium bodied with abundant carbonation; nice and smooth.

D: Quite smooth and balanced, but doesn't do much to hide the ABV. Not as easy-drinking as some quads I've had.

Notes: This is pretty much what I expected (and hoped for): a rich, but fairly mild, Belgian dark. The balance of fruity malts and spicy yeasts is spot on, but the burning finish leaves a little something to be desired. I'm definitely excited to see how its big brothers stack up.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Sep 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Had a bottle of this excellent beer at the Trappist in Oakland.

The beer pours a reddish amber color, with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this beer is very, very nice, displaying brown sugar, chocolate and fruitcake. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose exactly, all wrapped up in no more then moderately sweet flavor profile. Mouthfeel is smooth and long, with the alcohol very well disguised and nicely integrated.

Although this beer pales in comparison to the 10 and 8, this is still a very, very solid beer from Rochefort. Wouldn't hesitate to order this beer in a minute. Impressive.

John_M, Sep 09, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked up a 6,8, and 10 for a night of fun.

Popped the top and instantly started to spill out the top...Rushed to my glass and poured what appeared to be a liquid simiular to apple juice.

The smell is very sweet and has a slight vanilla smell to it. I hope it tastes as good as the smell.

Im also excited to try the 8 and 10 after this.

The taste is very good. Drinkable comes to mind. Has a soft and delicate taste with sweet fruits and even a little bubble gum in the mix

Overall, very very nice. I wish america has something simular and very cheap. I cant imagine the people of Belgium paying much for this!!

Cheers!

see my 8 and 10 review!

iconoklaztor, Sep 08, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Served ambient August Antwerp temperature into a Delirium glass in my hotel room on 08.13.09. Bottle reads 040614 16:48.

Nose is sweet-smelling and spicy cool, herbal. Softly malty. Smells good.

Pours mildly clear deep butterscotch brown with massive head. Looks very good.

Moderately sweet and sugary with sluggish malt. Mild hints of alcohol. smooth slightly creamy, mild carbonation. Soft smooth cocoanut vibe. Softly minty/spicy. Finishes slightly bitter, mostly clean. Tastes good. Feels pretty good. Pretty good drinkability.

Not my favorite; this deserves a revisit someday.

MrHungryMonkey, Sep 07, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a bottle with a BB date of 240713.

A - Pours a really nice tawny red under light. Lots of suspended yeast particles. Frothy tan head that fades fast. There's a decent amount of carbonation, but it doesn't look to be as carbonated as the 8.

S - It definitely follows in the steps of its bigger brothers here. While I can't remember the 10 so well, there's definitely a yeast character that's similar in the 6 and 8. Reminds me of fresh sweet breads. The fruit notes remind me of tart fruits. Also, there's a definitely cola note and a slight metallic edge.

T - There are a lot of very delicate flavors going on here. The malt notes are very soft and just seem to work their way around the edges of each sip. Slight spiciness. There's a bit of light alcohol noticeable in the finish. The metallic note noticeable in the aroma is also noticeable here.

MF - Noticeably thin from the start. I'm never really quite sure what to expect from the feel of Belgian darks, so it's difficult to rate. In this case, however, since this is the little guy of the Rochefort group, I'm all right with the thin body. Still, thin, slightly carbonated, but not much else to comment on.

D - Very drinkable for the style, which surely has something to do with the lower ABV. At the same time, in comparison to style, I've had other Belgian darks that were better. While I'm willing to give their line-up a retry, I just wanted to include a note regarding the fact that the Rochefort line didn't impress me all that much. They're good, but nothing mind-blowing.

HitokiriNate85, Aug 31, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a dark burgundy color with sediments mixed throughout. the head is of the off white caramel color and slowly fizzing into a thin crown of lace around the surface of the ale. A mesmerizing blend of rising bubbles and a continual cycle of sinking sediment capture my imagination.

Smell is middle of the road with malts overtaking the initial sent. Subtle whiffs of whine and a hidden hop balance come to the nose.

Taste is malty and tinged with the sweet bitterness of some delicate balance

Feel is soft fizzy exploding across the senses of my pallet

A very drinkable beer, but not one to session with. One to appreciate and savor every sip.

Cheers,
Jordan.

JordanEllwanger, Aug 30, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

I'm a little less impressed with the Rochefort 6 as opposed to the more potent varieties of the 8 and 10. The beer left me a little disappointed, but that is a very relative statement and I'm comparing this one against the Rochefort 8 and 10. The beer pours a nice hazy brown mahogany color with a nice creamy thick off white head. Some lacing going on, and very good retention. The nose is much more subtle that I would have liked. I'm getting a range of sweet malts, some fruity esters, a tad bit of yeastiness, maybe some slight roasted molasses type notes. The nose is just too faint for my liking.

The taste is quite good, but it doesn't have the full palate of flavors that I would have wanted. There are some sweet candied sugar notes, some roasted notes, some brown sugar fermentation, some slight rum soaked fig or raisin, with a bit of ABV hidden underneath. There is a slight throatiness to the beer, and a touch of the prickly mouthfeel carbonation typical of the style. This is a good beer, but it does lack some of the punch of the Rochefort 8 and 10, although it has less ABV and less throatiness.

Update feb 2010: I would add that the beer has plenty of carbonation, a good bit of yeastiness, the head has a slightly foamy and fizzy head. The nose is quite nice, subtle, but still nice. I would add points here. There are some definite phenols in this beer, lots of prickly mouthfeel, a slightly sourish fig or raisiny flavor too.

albern, Aug 29, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

I believe I picked this up at Shawan liquors around 6 months ago. Poured chilled from the 11.2oz'er into a goblet.

A - A medium wheat bread shade w/ 1 1/2 fingers of pale head w/ a fine bead. The clarity and retention are good w/ very sparse clinging lace

S - Candied raisins w/ toasted marshmallows and light biscuit and toffee w/ a light vanilla accent

M - The feel is pleasant w/ high carbonation, semi sweet feel w/ light spice and mild yeast w/ rather dry finish. The texture is moderately influenced with alcohol on the palate.

T - A dry toasted malt flavor w/ gentle almond notes and light honeyed date aspect w/ a golden pear flavor. The raisin note is gentle w/ nicely spiced sweet finish with a light cinnamon toast type taste

D - The drinkability is pretty good, not a beer I would drink often but an occasional dark belgian perhaps, I think it is very nicely nuanced and the abv is not noticeable to me.

Slatetank, Aug 28, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

The label on my bottle is upside-down so I guess I'm having a Rochefort 9, haha. Pours a murky brown with a slight dark burnt orange/ruby hue and large foamy off white head into my Duvel glass. There is a small, thick glop of sediment that refuses to leave the bottle. Perhaps I should have swirled, oh well. The head recedes and doesn't stick too much to the glass.

Smell is initially spicy, with some sweetness and maltiness. Has some dark ripe fruit as well. Decently scented, smells yummy.

Great taste! Has some dark fruits, chocolate, and roasty malt. Also some licorice spice and alcohol twang in the finish. I really like the mouthfeel on this one, it is smooth, expertly carbonated, not too sweet, and just flows wonderfully sip after sip,

I could be gulping this thing, but am giving it some reverence with the sips, this is a highly drinkable beer. I could almost "session" it this although it still does bite you enough at 7.5%. Luckily it's higher priced and harder to get otherwise this beer would be dangerous, at least in my case.

Overall a great Trappist ale, I'm split between this and the 8 coming out of Rochefort being my favorite. Great brewery, great beer.

crossovert, Aug 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle tasted August 2009.

Appearance: Thick, viscous, chocolatey-brown -- nice and unfiltered. A billowy white head fizzles to thin lacing.

Aroma: Brown. Malty, but not a strong nose (perhaps because it's still too cold).

Taste: Lovely. Not overly distinctive or bold, but highly drinkable -- quaffable, even. Malt predominates. And a delicious malt it is.

Palate: As above, "quaffable." Drinks like a much lower-ABV brew. Nice and spritzy with palate-scrubbing bubbles.

Overall: Not especially distinctive, but it's so damn likable I have to give it a good score. It has that certain Trappist je-ne-sais-quoi, with a wonderful yeast presence. I predict this will cellar well, and pairs quite well with an array of food choices.

Follow-up (9/2010): A year later, opened one of my cellared bottles. It improved significantly (--> more complexity and depth) in just about every category. Lots more distinctive earthy/fruit notes on both the nose and the tongue. Definitely one for the cellar!

drperm, Aug 15, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +8%

A: Brown copper color with a medium creamy head. A thin head stays troughout the drink.

S: Cacao is high in this mix. Yeast, dark fruits, some apple and roasted malts.

T: Again cacao stands out for me. There's some fruitiness but it's covered by the malts and the yeast. Dark fruits and apple if you want...

M: Medium carbonation and a pleasant body.

D: I really like it if a beers from the same brewery are not a top-down dilution from their strongest delivery. This Rochefort 6 stays clearly on it's own when compared to the 8 and 10. Simply GREAT!!!

PapaEugene, Aug 10, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a hazy brown, with a huge tan head that overflows the glass. Smell is of solvent alcohol and chocolate. Taste is bready, tea-like, with a hint of smoke. A hint of tartness in the finish. Low hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is rich, low, smooth carbonation. Drinks below its 7.5% abv, hides its alcohol well. A very good beer, though quite pricey at $5 for a 11.2oz bottle, I probably wont have this too often.

tronester, Aug 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

I found this on "clearance" at one of my favorite beer stores. Dated 180809.

A: Doesn't explode out of the bottle like some of the 8 and 10 did. Pours a lovely mahogany with red hues. The carbonation is strong, creating a bubbly, champagne-like head initially. The head unfortunately dies after a few seconds into nothing. The bubbles continue to eminate from the bottom of the glass however.

S: Slightly tart with a hint of sulfur trending to strong fruity esters. Moderate phenolic spiciness. I get a nice aroma of cocoa and fruits which is quite pleasant. The sulfur aroma is there, but doesn't seem to hinder the beer at all.

T: Tart fruitiness is the first thing that comes to mind. Definitely not tart like a wheat or a sour, but is dry and acidic. I get some of that cocoa in the flavor, but this quickly goes to a grape to plum like fruitiness. Finishes with some slight hoppy bitterness. Not harsh, but definitely enough to add some character and balance out the sweetness. The flavors are light and subtle unlike the 8 and 10. To me this adds to the tasters experience in that it challenges you to identify the flavors. In the end I do get a hint of butteriness, but this does not subtract from the taste too much.

M: Suprisingly light and dry. Finishes with a dry tartness. Mouthfeel is well carbonated throughout.

D: This was a pretty damn good Belgian Strong Ale. Fits all the characteristics for the style, but is a bit on the lighter end. Not quite as complex and flavorful as the 8 and 10, but who expects it to be? Definitely a more "sessionable" strong ale, with its subtle flavors and light body. I'll have this again, hopefully in a vertical tasting with the 6 then the 8 then the 10.

brewdoc75, Aug 06, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

OK well I found some more of this locally and online so I will re-review this.
A: I poured this from the bottle at about 40F and man what a head this thing pours like 3 inches!!! Its a cloudy medium brown beer in color.

S: ok call me crazy but it smells like a sweet iced tea to me. Sweet malt hits the nose with no hops detected at all. I can smell the yeast very nice and complex.

T: well I know why i love Belgians, so complex and in your face beers. First thing hits me is the malt and plum sweetness. Your NOT going to find any hops because the malt and yeast favors so balance it out. good stuff. the after taste is a tad boozy until it warms up near 60F. lots of grape. leather, woody flavors going on here.

M: thick and rich, no carbonation after the head dies.

D: easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol does not hit you until you throw down 4 or 5 lol

azorie, Aug 04, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Frothy white head that lingers, cloudy light brown. I was excited to see this beer on the shelf as it is the first time i've seen it in.

Whoa! Amazing smell, candied raisins, dark fruits, plums, some yeasts. Probably like smelling a victoria's secret model.

Amazing malt taste first of all. Complex, layered, tastes like the nose with some earthy tones. Up there with the tastiest brews i've ever had.

Sweet, chalky dry aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. This is up there with some of the best beers i've had. Thank you Jebus.

Murchmac, Aug 04, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a dark rust red when held to the light, and is topped by a somewhat loose light tan head. Initially about 3/4 inch high it drops at a leisurely pace, then provides a scant covering. Once out of the light, looks more brown with some red highlights. The head appears to have some pink highlights.

Not picking up too much aroma. Going to go clean my bowl and let this one warm up a bit...alright then. Got a nice piece of black tar for after, but for now... back to the beer. It's warmed up a bit, and I'm picking up a sourish component similar to Flemish reds/browns. Some light raison, no evidence of hopping here in the nose.

Flavor is complex, in that there is a lot going on, but I'm having a bit of trouble picking any one thing out. I'll let it warm further... Strong raisons and black pepper, grapes, a bit of lemon. Not quite cinnamon, but maybe nutmeg? Not sure. More bittering than the nose suggested. This has been a challenge for me.

Soft on the palate, medium to full in body, and a smooth texture.

Drinkable, but I made the mistake of serving too cold. Took awhile to warm up so I could smell and taste it. Even so, I had a hard time picking out much in both categories. I'll have to try this again, and give it another chance. But I suppose that maybe it's just not for me, despite it's reputation.

dancinwillie, Aug 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Produces two finger thick head in my chalice, which is tan in color. Body is brown caramel and quite murky. Lacing totally coats the glass.

Aroma is metallic and cherry upfront. Floral and sweet bread like too. Slight hint of sourness (not funky), and is countered with vanilla.

Tastes woody and vanilla immediately. Turns into sharp brisk herbal flavor in the end.

Feels full, chewy, and coarse. Slight warmness from the alcohol. Finishes dry with no oily residue.

A very well rounded Belgian Dark Ale. Complex, warming and inviting.

TheSarge, Jul 27, 2009

A brown body with good tan head, with lace running down the glass. A good sweet malt smell along with some minor fruity hops. A puckering sweetness in the medium-body with some breadiness as well for balance, as this is a sweet Belgian that finishes dry and has hints of hops bitterness on the end as well as dark fruits. Classic Belgian that anyone should try.

clayrock81, Jul 27, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

11.2oz bottle poured in a chalice.

A light brown slightly cloudy color with a nice fluffy light brown head that hangs around. On the nose theres some sweetness and a light bready note to it, fairly plain.

Very smooth, a nice sharp flavor thats quite malty, lingers for a bit. Very bready and spicy on the way down. Kind of a light body but good for the style.

kingcrowing, Jul 25, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A - One and a half fingers of white head on a hazy brown body. The head settles slowly and leaves little lace.

S - Spicy yeast notes, pepper, cinnamon, clove, and banana. Caramel malt and brown sugar.

T - Begins malty with caramel and brown sugar. Some fruity yeast comes out next with vanilla and clove notes. The caramel reasserts itself in the finish and darkens somewhat with slight chocolate notes that combine with light bitterness and hop flavor to produce lingering tobacco notes.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Rich and malty, this is a nice, drinkable dubble. The yeast profile is a bit dull, but the malt, especially in the finish makes up for it.

nickfl, Jul 23, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7%

To complete my round of Rochefort

A: brown, with a fizzing head carbonation. Good lacing.
S: Straight from the bottle there's no mistake: the complexity of Rochefort ales is through the whole range they provide.
It gives clear white bread, after that the hops become evident, and then fruity sourness, some apples and allmost kriek, plus the floral notes that are so powerfull in the best of trappists.
Sniffing alone makes such a pleasant experience.

T: The first taste has roasted grains and chocolate in it. After that, similar to the smells, the fruit sets in, apples and grapes.
M: very pleasant. it's allmost light, very smooth without any alcohol burn whatsoever.
D: This is very drinkable beer. It is within tradition of trappist monks and the way to live: something to enjoy while contemplating life :).
Cheers.