Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Picked up a 6,8, and 10 for a night of fun.

Popped the top and instantly started to spill out the top...Rushed to my glass and poured what appeared to be a liquid simiular to apple juice.

The smell is very sweet and has a slight vanilla smell to it. I hope it tastes as good as the smell.

Im also excited to try the 8 and 10 after this.

The taste is very good. Drinkable comes to mind. Has a soft and delicate taste with sweet fruits and even a little bubble gum in the mix

Overall, very very nice. I wish america has something simular and very cheap. I cant imagine the people of Belgium paying much for this!!

Cheers!

see my 8 and 10 review!

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Served ambient August Antwerp temperature into a Delirium glass in my hotel room on 08.13.09. Bottle reads 040614 16:48.

Nose is sweet-smelling and spicy cool, herbal. Softly malty. Smells good.

Pours mildly clear deep butterscotch brown with massive head. Looks very good.

Moderately sweet and sugary with sluggish malt. Mild hints of alcohol. smooth slightly creamy, mild carbonation. Soft smooth cocoanut vibe. Softly minty/spicy. Finishes slightly bitter, mostly clean. Tastes good. Feels pretty good. Pretty good drinkability.

Not my favorite; this deserves a revisit someday.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a bottle with a BB date of 240713.

A - Pours a really nice tawny red under light. Lots of suspended yeast particles. Frothy tan head that fades fast. There's a decent amount of carbonation, but it doesn't look to be as carbonated as the 8.

S - It definitely follows in the steps of its bigger brothers here. While I can't remember the 10 so well, there's definitely a yeast character that's similar in the 6 and 8. Reminds me of fresh sweet breads. The fruit notes remind me of tart fruits. Also, there's a definitely cola note and a slight metallic edge.

T - There are a lot of very delicate flavors going on here. The malt notes are very soft and just seem to work their way around the edges of each sip. Slight spiciness. There's a bit of light alcohol noticeable in the finish. The metallic note noticeable in the aroma is also noticeable here.

MF - Noticeably thin from the start. I'm never really quite sure what to expect from the feel of Belgian darks, so it's difficult to rate. In this case, however, since this is the little guy of the Rochefort group, I'm all right with the thin body. Still, thin, slightly carbonated, but not much else to comment on.

D - Very drinkable for the style, which surely has something to do with the lower ABV. At the same time, in comparison to style, I've had other Belgian darks that were better. While I'm willing to give their line-up a retry, I just wanted to include a note regarding the fact that the Rochefort line didn't impress me all that much. They're good, but nothing mind-blowing.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a dark burgundy color with sediments mixed throughout. the head is of the off white caramel color and slowly fizzing into a thin crown of lace around the surface of the ale. A mesmerizing blend of rising bubbles and a continual cycle of sinking sediment capture my imagination.

Smell is middle of the road with malts overtaking the initial sent. Subtle whiffs of whine and a hidden hop balance come to the nose.

Taste is malty and tinged with the sweet bitterness of some delicate balance

Feel is soft fizzy exploding across the senses of my pallet

A very drinkable beer, but not one to session with. One to appreciate and savor every sip.

Cheers,
Jordan.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

I'm a little less impressed with the Rochefort 6 as opposed to the more potent varieties of the 8 and 10. The beer left me a little disappointed, but that is a very relative statement and I'm comparing this one against the Rochefort 8 and 10. The beer pours a nice hazy brown mahogany color with a nice creamy thick off white head. Some lacing going on, and very good retention. The nose is much more subtle that I would have liked. I'm getting a range of sweet malts, some fruity esters, a tad bit of yeastiness, maybe some slight roasted molasses type notes. The nose is just too faint for my liking.

The taste is quite good, but it doesn't have the full palate of flavors that I would have wanted. There are some sweet candied sugar notes, some roasted notes, some brown sugar fermentation, some slight rum soaked fig or raisin, with a bit of ABV hidden underneath. There is a slight throatiness to the beer, and a touch of the prickly mouthfeel carbonation typical of the style. This is a good beer, but it does lack some of the punch of the Rochefort 8 and 10, although it has less ABV and less throatiness.

Update feb 2010: I would add that the beer has plenty of carbonation, a good bit of yeastiness, the head has a slightly foamy and fizzy head. The nose is quite nice, subtle, but still nice. I would add points here. There are some definite phenols in this beer, lots of prickly mouthfeel, a slightly sourish fig or raisiny flavor too.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

I believe I picked this up at Shawan liquors around 6 months ago. Poured chilled from the 11.2oz'er into a goblet.

A - A medium wheat bread shade w/ 1 1/2 fingers of pale head w/ a fine bead. The clarity and retention are good w/ very sparse clinging lace

S - Candied raisins w/ toasted marshmallows and light biscuit and toffee w/ a light vanilla accent

M - The feel is pleasant w/ high carbonation, semi sweet feel w/ light spice and mild yeast w/ rather dry finish. The texture is moderately influenced with alcohol on the palate.

T - A dry toasted malt flavor w/ gentle almond notes and light honeyed date aspect w/ a golden pear flavor. The raisin note is gentle w/ nicely spiced sweet finish with a light cinnamon toast type taste

D - The drinkability is pretty good, not a beer I would drink often but an occasional dark belgian perhaps, I think it is very nicely nuanced and the abv is not noticeable to me.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

The label on my bottle is upside-down so I guess I'm having a Rochefort 9, haha. Pours a murky brown with a slight dark burnt orange/ruby hue and large foamy off white head into my Duvel glass. There is a small, thick glop of sediment that refuses to leave the bottle. Perhaps I should have swirled, oh well. The head recedes and doesn't stick too much to the glass.

Smell is initially spicy, with some sweetness and maltiness. Has some dark ripe fruit as well. Decently scented, smells yummy.

Great taste! Has some dark fruits, chocolate, and roasty malt. Also some licorice spice and alcohol twang in the finish. I really like the mouthfeel on this one, it is smooth, expertly carbonated, not too sweet, and just flows wonderfully sip after sip,

I could be gulping this thing, but am giving it some reverence with the sips, this is a highly drinkable beer. I could almost "session" it this although it still does bite you enough at 7.5%. Luckily it's higher priced and harder to get otherwise this beer would be dangerous, at least in my case.

Overall a great Trappist ale, I'm split between this and the 8 coming out of Rochefort being my favorite. Great brewery, great beer.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle tasted August 2009.

Appearance: Thick, viscous, chocolatey-brown -- nice and unfiltered. A billowy white head fizzles to thin lacing.

Aroma: Brown. Malty, but not a strong nose (perhaps because it's still too cold).

Taste: Lovely. Not overly distinctive or bold, but highly drinkable -- quaffable, even. Malt predominates. And a delicious malt it is.

Palate: As above, "quaffable." Drinks like a much lower-ABV brew. Nice and spritzy with palate-scrubbing bubbles.

Overall: Not especially distinctive, but it's so damn likable I have to give it a good score. It has that certain Trappist je-ne-sais-quoi, with a wonderful yeast presence. I predict this will cellar well, and pairs quite well with an array of food choices.

Follow-up (9/2010): A year later, opened one of my cellared bottles. It improved significantly (--> more complexity and depth) in just about every category. Lots more distinctive earthy/fruit notes on both the nose and the tongue. Definitely one for the cellar!

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A: Brown copper color with a medium creamy head. A thin head stays troughout the drink.

S: Cacao is high in this mix. Yeast, dark fruits, some apple and roasted malts.

T: Again cacao stands out for me. There's some fruitiness but it's covered by the malts and the yeast. Dark fruits and apple if you want...

M: Medium carbonation and a pleasant body.

D: I really like it if a beers from the same brewery are not a top-down dilution from their strongest delivery. This Rochefort 6 stays clearly on it's own when compared to the 8 and 10. Simply GREAT!!!

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a hazy brown, with a huge tan head that overflows the glass. Smell is of solvent alcohol and chocolate. Taste is bready, tea-like, with a hint of smoke. A hint of tartness in the finish. Low hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is rich, low, smooth carbonation. Drinks below its 7.5% abv, hides its alcohol well. A very good beer, though quite pricey at $5 for a 11.2oz bottle, I probably wont have this too often.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

I found this on "clearance" at one of my favorite beer stores. Dated 180809.

A: Doesn't explode out of the bottle like some of the 8 and 10 did. Pours a lovely mahogany with red hues. The carbonation is strong, creating a bubbly, champagne-like head initially. The head unfortunately dies after a few seconds into nothing. The bubbles continue to eminate from the bottom of the glass however.

S: Slightly tart with a hint of sulfur trending to strong fruity esters. Moderate phenolic spiciness. I get a nice aroma of cocoa and fruits which is quite pleasant. The sulfur aroma is there, but doesn't seem to hinder the beer at all.

T: Tart fruitiness is the first thing that comes to mind. Definitely not tart like a wheat or a sour, but is dry and acidic. I get some of that cocoa in the flavor, but this quickly goes to a grape to plum like fruitiness. Finishes with some slight hoppy bitterness. Not harsh, but definitely enough to add some character and balance out the sweetness. The flavors are light and subtle unlike the 8 and 10. To me this adds to the tasters experience in that it challenges you to identify the flavors. In the end I do get a hint of butteriness, but this does not subtract from the taste too much.

M: Suprisingly light and dry. Finishes with a dry tartness. Mouthfeel is well carbonated throughout.

D: This was a pretty damn good Belgian Strong Ale. Fits all the characteristics for the style, but is a bit on the lighter end. Not quite as complex and flavorful as the 8 and 10, but who expects it to be? Definitely a more "sessionable" strong ale, with its subtle flavors and light body. I'll have this again, hopefully in a vertical tasting with the 6 then the 8 then the 10.

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

OK well I found some more of this locally and online so I will re-review this.
A: I poured this from the bottle at about 40F and man what a head this thing pours like 3 inches!!! Its a cloudy medium brown beer in color.

S: ok call me crazy but it smells like a sweet iced tea to me. Sweet malt hits the nose with no hops detected at all. I can smell the yeast very nice and complex.

T: well I know why i love Belgians, so complex and in your face beers. First thing hits me is the malt and plum sweetness. Your NOT going to find any hops because the malt and yeast favors so balance it out. good stuff. the after taste is a tad boozy until it warms up near 60F. lots of grape. leather, woody flavors going on here.

M: thick and rich, no carbonation after the head dies.

D: easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol does not hit you until you throw down 4 or 5 lol

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Frothy white head that lingers, cloudy light brown. I was excited to see this beer on the shelf as it is the first time i've seen it in.

Whoa! Amazing smell, candied raisins, dark fruits, plums, some yeasts. Probably like smelling a victoria's secret model.

Amazing malt taste first of all. Complex, layered, tastes like the nose with some earthy tones. Up there with the tastiest brews i've ever had.

Sweet, chalky dry aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. This is up there with some of the best beers i've had. Thank you Jebus.

3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a dark rust red when held to the light, and is topped by a somewhat loose light tan head. Initially about 3/4 inch high it drops at a leisurely pace, then provides a scant covering. Once out of the light, looks more brown with some red highlights. The head appears to have some pink highlights.

Not picking up too much aroma. Going to go clean my bowl and let this one warm up a bit...alright then. Got a nice piece of black tar for after, but for now... back to the beer. It's warmed up a bit, and I'm picking up a sourish component similar to Flemish reds/browns. Some light raison, no evidence of hopping here in the nose.

Flavor is complex, in that there is a lot going on, but I'm having a bit of trouble picking any one thing out. I'll let it warm further... Strong raisons and black pepper, grapes, a bit of lemon. Not quite cinnamon, but maybe nutmeg? Not sure. More bittering than the nose suggested. This has been a challenge for me.

Soft on the palate, medium to full in body, and a smooth texture.

Drinkable, but I made the mistake of serving too cold. Took awhile to warm up so I could smell and taste it. Even so, I had a hard time picking out much in both categories. I'll have to try this again, and give it another chance. But I suppose that maybe it's just not for me, despite it's reputation.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Produces two finger thick head in my chalice, which is tan in color. Body is brown caramel and quite murky. Lacing totally coats the glass.

Aroma is metallic and cherry upfront. Floral and sweet bread like too. Slight hint of sourness (not funky), and is countered with vanilla.

Tastes woody and vanilla immediately. Turns into sharp brisk herbal flavor in the end.

Feels full, chewy, and coarse. Slight warmness from the alcohol. Finishes dry with no oily residue.

A very well rounded Belgian Dark Ale. Complex, warming and inviting.

A brown body with good tan head, with lace running down the glass. A good sweet malt smell along with some minor fruity hops. A puckering sweetness in the medium-body with some breadiness as well for balance, as this is a sweet Belgian that finishes dry and has hints of hops bitterness on the end as well as dark fruits. Classic Belgian that anyone should try.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

11.2oz bottle poured in a chalice.

A light brown slightly cloudy color with a nice fluffy light brown head that hangs around. On the nose theres some sweetness and a light bready note to it, fairly plain.

Very smooth, a nice sharp flavor thats quite malty, lingers for a bit. Very bready and spicy on the way down. Kind of a light body but good for the style.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A - One and a half fingers of white head on a hazy brown body. The head settles slowly and leaves little lace.

S - Spicy yeast notes, pepper, cinnamon, clove, and banana. Caramel malt and brown sugar.

T - Begins malty with caramel and brown sugar. Some fruity yeast comes out next with vanilla and clove notes. The caramel reasserts itself in the finish and darkens somewhat with slight chocolate notes that combine with light bitterness and hop flavor to produce lingering tobacco notes.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Rich and malty, this is a nice, drinkable dubble. The yeast profile is a bit dull, but the malt, especially in the finish makes up for it.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

To complete my round of Rochefort

A: brown, with a fizzing head carbonation. Good lacing.
S: Straight from the bottle there's no mistake: the complexity of Rochefort ales is through the whole range they provide.
It gives clear white bread, after that the hops become evident, and then fruity sourness, some apples and allmost kriek, plus the floral notes that are so powerfull in the best of trappists.
Sniffing alone makes such a pleasant experience.

T: The first taste has roasted grains and chocolate in it. After that, similar to the smells, the fruit sets in, apples and grapes.
M: very pleasant. it's allmost light, very smooth without any alcohol burn whatsoever.
D: This is very drinkable beer. It is within tradition of trappist monks and the way to live: something to enjoy while contemplating life :).
Cheers.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Not what I expected at all:( I don't think my bottle traveled well.
Taste was dark and dank. hints of strawberry and chocolate. beautiful bubble beer though, wonderfull inches of head atop a nice brown brew.
I'd love to try this beer iover in belgium I'm sure it would be very different.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

This one pours a nice reddish-brown hue with ample foamy off-white head that retains well and eventually settles into about an 1/8 inch man-hole cover over my beer. It smells of dark fruit and breaded malts. Tastes a little bit of figs but mostly of dark fruit with an underlying sweetness that I'm unsure how I feel about. Probably just because what I've been eating today. It drinks surprisingly well.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer.

Poured into becher glass, huge tall head that dissipates mildy into a great lace. Tastes of chocolatey cream with malts, spice, dark fruits, raison and cocoa - mainly cocoa. A little yeasty with sediment at bottom and medium carbonation. Awesome beer

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A: This beer pours dark brown, with some red/pink notes. The head is massive and even, the colour is beige with a lot of creamyness. When the head dissipates it leaves nice lacings. There is also a lot of haze and a healty dose of sediment in the glass after you pour it.

S: At first there is alcohol, but quickly you find caramell(-malt), roasted malt, fruit, but I can sence basil and tea.

T: Sweetness and complexity is what stands out. There is also fruit, dryness, a slight sence of perfume, some floral notes and chocolate.
The aftertaste is dry with a nice hoppy ending.

M: It's dry, a tickeling sensation on the tongue is present in this medium bodied beer.

D: Trappist is the "beer-family" I like the best. This is a fantastic beer, but far from the best trappist-beers.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a reddish brown color with a 3+ finger tan foamy head which has a sticky lace. Has the aroma of bread, malt, spice, and dark fruit. The taste matches the smell, is sweet, but not overly sweet. Is nicely made. Light bodied with fizzy carbonation. Very drinkable, not overly sweet, but very easy to drink. The 7.5 % alcohol is well hidden.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium brown with a big 3 finger light tan head, that has lots of retention. The lacing is pretty thick, looks like soap water but nearly as thick, chunky and spiderweb like, like the #10. The head stays for several minutes though, like a nice beautiful coating that just isn't going anywhere. Every sip you take soaps the glass the again.

The aroma is very light, a little of a disappointment. There are light notes of sweet malts and toffee, and spices.

The taste is light and very reminisicant of its big brother. Just a lighter version. There are notes of light hops and toffee.

Mouthfeel is great and you can drink as much of this as you want.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort