Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Charred orange accented by brick red. I expected to see some yeast, but the beer is pristine after the initial pour. Perhaps the final pour will murk things up a little. The airy crown of foam is the color of polished pearls bathed in a soft orange light. Soft streamers of lace decorate the glass in an appealing fashion and solidify the (less than dark) BSDA look.

The nose is good without being fantastic. Going on appearance and aroma alone, it seems like 6 is a lighter end of the spectrum Belgian dark ale rather than a BSDA. I smell unsweet caramel malt, musky dark fruit and a dash of spicy Belgian yeast.

Although I still think the above style is incorrect, this is definitely good beer. The fruitiness is more along the lines of bruised apples, white raisins and dried figs. It doesn't quite reach the 'dates' stage of darkness and is nowhere near the 'raisins and plums' stage. I'm sure the monks felt like they needed to distinguish it from the higher-ABV, darker, maltier Rochefort 8.

The beer has a stealth complexity. One can easily quaff it without a second thought, but a little probing reveals a beautiful proportionality between malt, hops and spicy yeast. I like the fact that 6 favors the dry, crisp portion of the BSDA spectrum. It's too bad that it only comes in 33 cl bottles because I could easily go for a '750' right about now.

As anticipated, the addition of the final few inches of beer both darkens and murks things up quite nicely. It also makes the flavor profile even more bold. If you can manage it, I'd suggest choosing a drinking vessel that allows you to drain the entire bottle with one smooth pour. I know I'll be doing that next time (and there will most certainly be a next time).

I had to carefully ration the final few ounces in order to assess the mouthfeel. The beer was disappearing so fast that I feared I'd run out ahead of schedule. While the mouthfeel is light for the style, it has a gorgeous feel and is expertly carbonated. No letdown here; not even close.

I don't know why it took me so long to drink my first offering from one of the most respected breweries in the world. I was less than floored initially, but now that I'm at the bottom of the bottle, I'm able to recognize the brilliance of Trappistes Rochefort 6. If it was less expensive, I'd gladly buy this delicious elixir in bulk. Now I can't wait to drink 8 and 10.

05-04-2007 15:16:30 | More by BuckeyeNation
tatterdash

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a slightly hazy mahogany red with a foamy light tan head that forms a lot of lace. Smell was nicely floral banana bread, that wonderful Rochefort yeast strain that is prevelent in all their beers. Taste was like Rochefort 8, but the hops are more pronounced. Dark fruits and bready, with a long earthy hop finish. Taste was crisper than the 8 and the 10, but that velvetty smoothness and well-veiled ABV are still wonderfully present. This is very drinkable, when compared to other strong dark ales.

04-29-2007 22:24:33 | More by tatterdash
Gmann

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a semi clear brown color with just a slight hint of red. The head was disappointing and did not leave much if any lacing. I will discount this due to the fact that I just washed my glass. The smell is of hint of wine and chocolate, mellow, quite pleasant but not overpowering. The taste has tones of chocolate and some sweetness to it, though it is hard to pinpoint, maybe cherries. The feel is very fizzy, I believe it takes away from the taste a bit. But beyond the over carbonation, this is brew goes down easy. The only negative is the over carbonation, aside from that this beer has a nice mellow flavor and is very drinkable. Not as fruity as other BSDAs.

04-29-2007 05:25:59 | More by Gmann
techdiver

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a hazy, reddish brown with a modest head that dissipates quickly leaving a fine cap of foam.

Nose of sweet malt, molasses and dates.

Taste is spectacular, well balanced, yet complex. To recall from memory, can't say whether I prefer this or the Rochefort 8.

Outstanding with nice carbonation, alcohol well hidden, just a joy to drink.

Could easily put many of these away, in this respect perhaps the most drinkable Rochefort.

04-26-2007 03:27:20 | More by techdiver
mbutter1997

Nebraska

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Dark reddish amber, slightly cloudy with 1" of thick rough head that sticks around a long time. Just the look makes my mouth water.
S: A rich aroma of malt, slight hints of chocolate, coffee & mild phenols. Slightly sweet, reminds me somewhat of a dubbel.
T: A wonderfully unique taste. Slightly sweet, very malty, almost no hop character. Fruitiness typical of the style is present but quite mild, as is the alcohol. Not sure why, but the taste isn't what I expected. Delightful brew.
M: Smooth & very rich but not creamy, lots of fizz.
D: Very drinkable, smooth and tasty. It's not my favorite Trappist beer, but still worthy of another sample.

04-26-2007 03:05:11 | More by mbutter1997
geexploitation

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Pours with classic dubbel thickness, and a pretty toasted brown with some russet highlights. The head is sticky and tenacious. Phenolic aroma enhanced by yeasty chocolate and spice notes. Some earthy hops, too. Very little in the way of sweet caramel smells -- no evidence of caramelization of sugars in the nose. On the palate, light and fresh flavors for a beer this rich. Very soft sweetness, like malted chocolate, and a pronounced nutty yeast flavor. High, sustained notes of fruitiness throughout the palate, but especially notable at the end. Light in mouthfeel, with just a touch of present alcohol toward the end, and subtle, unobtrusive carbonation. What a fabulous beer. Prototypical for the dubbel style, and obscenely hard to improve upon.

04-15-2007 19:42:17 | More by geexploitation
Kendo

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Poured into an Augustijn chalice. Body is a cloudy chestnut brown with orangey-red hues when backlit. Even with a slow pour, a slightly off-white head (the color that comes to mind is "stone" -- the label Eddie Bauer uses to describe a pair of pants I own) rushes up and threatens to spill over the top of the glass, but then settles quickly to a 1/2-finger head. I swirl the yeasty sediment and liquid at the bottom of the bottle and pour it in, further cloudying the body and adding lots of suspended sediment. Some settles on top of the head, making it look like egg nog with cinnamon on top of it.

S: First thought is that it smells more like a red wine than a beer. Fruity at first, with scents of grapes, cherries and berries. A bit of chocolate and then just a hint of cinnamon follows. As it warms I get a slight waft of alcohol. Not particularly strong, but pleasant.

T: Malt tastes dominate -- up front it's roasted malt, caramel and a bit of a sweet nutty flavor as well, then those dark fruits from the nose show up. It finishes clean and dry and light -- I know that's more descriptive of the feel, but in some ways it also describes the flavor as it leaves almost no aftertaste. Interesting. Alcohol warmth shows up in the belly, but not in the taste.

M: Just incredible. Spritzy and almost airy in the way it dries up at the end of the sip. Active carbonation but not in a weighted-down sort of way. Again, it's got a light and airy feel to it and it oddly becomes even smoother as it warms. How do they do that?

D: Highly drinkable -- the dry finish and mouthfeel make this 7.5% ABV beer feel very light.

Notes: Label had some sort of date information stamped on it but I'll be damned if I can decipher it: L 28 09 10. . . . I really had to knock down the appearance score because it was so full of sediment. Hey, I've homebrewed, so I know it happens. But there was a lot at the bottom of the glass, and worse, a LOT in suspension throughout and frankly this would've been a 5 in drinkability but all that sediment made me slow down a bit. . . . I didn't score it higher in taste because it just seemed so light in the finish that after the sip is gone, you don't taste anything. . . . Drinking this has made me curious about their stronger offerings; I look forward to the 8 and 10. . . .

03-30-2007 16:04:13 | More by Kendo
RedHaze

Nebraska

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

best by 220311 on the label.

Pours a hazy dark mahogany, with a very dense two finger head that takes forever to fade to a thick cap. The subsequent lacing completely covers the inside of my glass.

Smell; this has a mildly chalky yeasty aroma, with some traces of alcohol. Once this warms up a little a some dark fruits come out, as well as a little bit of toffee, but they're not as noticeable as I was expecting.

Taste; as with the aroma the flavor comes off as a bit chalky, but it doesn't fade from the flavor as it did in the smell. There are some dark fruits, with dates and raisins and caramel and toffee, but due to that chalkiness they just don't seem to able to stand out all that much. I don't think I don't think I've ever had this problem with a Rochefort beer before, and maybe I just needed to let it sit for a little longer before drinking it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a bit of a biting carbonation. The drinkability is decent but the chalkiness gives this a bit of a drying effect, and not really in a good way. Maybe I'll have to give this another shot sometime in the future.

03-30-2007 02:05:44 | More by RedHaze
Neehan

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Beautiful pour and lacing with a head that can only be created by a trappist monk. Rather heavy amount of sediment and a nice, rustic ruddy complexion. Outstanding, I can't take my eyes off of this thing. The smell is of light fruits mixed with some gentle alcohol esters. The tase is fruity combined with rich spices and a tasty blend of complexities. The mouthfeel is a repeat of the beautiful appearance, light and fluffy but with a crisp bite at the finish. Good stuff here, I can't wait for the 8 and 10.

03-19-2007 01:48:56 | More by Neehan
kajerm

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a mysterious, chocolatey light brown with a thin but stubborn head. I've loved the appearance of ever unfiltered belgian strong dark I've ever encountered, and little Rochefort doesn't disappoint.

Malt, Belgian yeast, and some esters on the nose. A little weaker than I was expecting, but it has a definite Belgian-style banana smell to it. My first Rochefort in months and shit, am I excited.

Sweet, lightly roasted malts are the first flavor, followed by some bananas. None of the alcoholic spiciness of 8 or 10, and a lot less fruit and complexity.

Slick, heavy mouthfeel, but a lot lighter than the other two Rochforts; the carbonation is light and appropriate.

I just can't help comparing this to the other two Rocheforts...

A very nice beer, delightfully Belgian, but at the end of the day all it does for me is make me crave Rochefort 8.

03-10-2007 03:55:11 | More by kajerm
SkeeterHawk

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Pours a pretty clear reddish brown color with a small 1/4" head of small of white bubbles at first, but the head fades pretty quickly to end up as a small, but persistent, foamy top on the beer. I can't really see any bubbles rising to maintain the head, so what I have is what was there from the pour.

Aroma: The aroma is really mild when compared to this beer’s cousins. I get some clean malty notes with what I perceive as a toasty Munich malt in particular. I still get a bit of the plum and dark fruit that you expect from a Rochefort beer, but it is much more subtle in this version.

Taste: This beer comes across the palate squeaky clean with a whole lot of depth of flavor that wasn't apparent in the aroma. I definitely get the dark fruit that you expect from a Rochefort beer, but the palate is light and almost fluffy (if I could use such a word to describe the flavor of a beer). There are some clean and defined bready notes to the beer that make it seem much more substantial, but at 7.5%ABV, it is no small beverage on the Girth scale...but unfortunately I am comparing it to the 10. If I am getting hops in this one, it certainly is subtle. The malt runs the show from the first sip into the finish.

Opinion: This is an incredible beer. I must stick by my guns and say that I probably think that the #8 is the most drinkable and flavorful beer, but this one is still most satisfying. Though I think that the 10 is one of the most incredible beers that ever was produced by man, it is such that if you drink one that you can't drink anything else. The 8 I am enjoying right now is not that way, and I feel like I could polish off a whole six-pack of this stuff. Unfortunately, none of these beers are available in my regular market of Texas anymore, so I will just finish the one that I just got in Florida and reflect upon it when I get home. Sad but true.

03-09-2007 08:16:44 | More by SkeeterHawk
Sixpoint

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

It seems as if everyone naturally gravitates towards the venerable Rochefort 10. Of course, it is a classic. Yet I think the most underrated and undervalued beer in the Rochefort lineup is clearly the Rochefort 6.

This beer almost tastes like the diminuitive version of the 10. It has all of the drinkability, character, and plum and fruit esters from the Belgian yeast, but without the potency, alcohol warmth and depth of the 10. As a result, it is a much more approachable and gregarious beer.

However, since it is much drier, it seems to go down that much easier. The Rochefort 10 has a slight cloying full-bodiedness that the 6 doesn't have - after 1 or 2 Rochefort 10s, I've had enough as my palate is coated with syrup. Yet the 6 has a nice yeasty spice and subtle hop twang to wipe the slate clean with every sip.

The 6 is just a great treat with enough character and resistance to keep you wanting more. I'm very bullish on this beer. I'm going to rock a 6-pack of it the next time I crash a house party.

03-06-2007 22:26:09 | More by Sixpoint
zeff80

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Poured out a reddish/brown color with a foamy, two-finger head. Leaves some very nice lace.

S - It smelled of malt, grasses and vanilla.

T - Tasted strongly of malt, spice and dried fruits. Also, a powerful alcohol presence.

M - A crisp mouthfeel. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is yet another great Rochefort brew.

02-23-2007 01:07:17 | More by zeff80
mmmbeer

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Finally came across the 6; the third and final Rochefort for me to review - 330 mL bottle with 28/09/10 on the label, making Oct. '05 the bottling date. It pours into the tulip an orange/garnet, hugely active, with a 3-finger, off-white, fluffy head that becomes more dense as it settles, and leaves nice sheets of lace. There are notes of rum bread, plums, anise, and green hops in the nose, with hints of vanilla, apples, chocolate, blue/blackberries, and sweet cherries - quite pleasant. It is harsh and overly-carbonated on the first sip, so I let it warm for a bit before resuming. When I do, I find rum bread, cinnamon, anise, maybe some other spices, yeast, and green hops that impart a mild bitterness. After the initial carbonation subsides, I find a medium, drying body, and a short finish that slowly lengthens. Overall it was a bit too harsh, and, although it has nice accents, I feel that it needed more sweet malts to give them some ballast. A fairly good Belgian, but for a Trappist, this was kind-of a let down. Maybe I didn't get the best bottle, or maybe it's just not up my alley, but I'm sure I'll meet this beer again sometime, perhaps if only for its namesake.

02-19-2007 23:55:36 | More by mmmbeer
jamie2dope

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Gotta love them trappist beers. This one (Rocerfort 6) pours a light brown with excellent head retention. Sediment could also be seen floating around the glass. There were some enticing chocolate, bread and fuit smells going on in this one, which all seemed to get stronger as the beer warmed to room temperature. Taste had loads of fruits such as figs and grapes, with a bit of caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel was light to medium, and oh so smooth on the palate. This was easily the most drinkable of the three offerings from Rochefort. Kudos to the brothers for suggesting pairing it with some soft cheeses. I used some Chimay cheese and crumbled goat cheese on what crackers. In short, great beer. Cheers

02-16-2007 00:56:49 | More by jamie2dope
Barleywhiner

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 11.2oz.bottle. Began with a nice head that disappeared quickly, the color is a dark rusty orange, murky with tiny carbonation bubbles gently rising to the surface. The smell is of caramel and molasses, the flavor is very similar, don't detect any alcohol flavor.The mouthfeel is slightly watery around the edges of my tongue, this would be an extremely drinkable beer if it wasn't for the price.

02-07-2007 03:23:42 | More by Barleywhiner
NEhophead

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

11.2 fl oz brown bottle, served in an oversized wine glass.
L 22 03
08:11

Pours a heavily-clouded, light caramel. An inch and a half high, delicate foam that recedes to an active, intact whispy sheet. Delicate, cascading lace.

Caramelized brown sugar and sweet molasses; faint hints of toffee and creamy, milk chocolate. Rich, dark spices: nutmeg, cinnamon. Undertones of aged, vinous fruit: fig, apple, plum.

Creamy, milk chocolate and toffee flavored malt character. Apple and orange tones that add a touch of tartness to the rich, vinous plum and fig. The alcohol character is remarkably complex as it puts its mark on both the vinous fruit and the deep, rich malty flavors.

A full-medium in body; rich and creamy prior to an intense wave of carbonation. The carbonation borders on annoyance and retracts from this ale's wonderful flavors.

A well crafted ale that could be so much better if it were not for the intensity of carbonation. Probably my least favorite of the Rochefort offerings, but still mandatory for any Belgian lover.

01-23-2007 13:16:23 | More by NEhophead
GbVDave

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice.

A: Pours a clear ruby brown with a decent amount of carbonation. One finger head that retains a thin cap. Minimal lace.

S: Aromas of bananas, walnuts, and molassas.

T: Delicious flavors of hazelnuts, walnuts, banana nut or zucchini bread, bittersweet chocolate, brown sugar, and molassas. I also pick up a fleeting flavor like peat smoked malt! All this is held together by a mild hoppy bitterness.

M: I poured this at somewhere between 55-60 degrees. I feel that those temps make for the best mouthfeel for this beer. Full and creamy with a dry, tart, bitterness to keep things interesting.

D: Well hidden alcohol with wonderful flavors and aromas. What more do I need to say? Kinda pricey but worth it.

01-16-2007 23:58:42 | More by GbVDave
emerge077

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Had high hopes for this after having the 10, and wasn't let down.

Pours a deep mahoghany hue, with irregular, spotty bubbles. Smells of banana, bready malt, and yeast.

Tastes almost similar to a doppelbock, a distinct dark malt and grain note is unmistakeable. Banana bread is a big flavor, followed by a smoothing maltiness. Seems akin to a Dubbel, not thin or wimpy at all.

Exceptionally smooth mouthfeel, a buttery diacetyl eases it along. If money was no object, I could make six of these disappear, easy.

01-07-2007 03:28:41 | More by emerge077
ndekke39

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Finally drank my cellared bottle for New Year's Eve 2006. Received it for an anniversary gift (best wife ever!). Best-by date says August 18, 2008. It's an 11.2 oz bottle. 7.5% ABV.

A: Pours a hazy reddish-brown. Thin, off-white head with no retention.

S: Fruity and bready: heavy on the yeast, crisp apples (love that in particular), bananas, sugar, alcohol. As the beer warmed, it smelled like a fresh apple cider, too... lovely spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. Huge fan of the smells. A very multi-layered experience.

T: Tastes of sweet yeastiness, burnt sugar, darker tones of the apple, touch of alcohol.

M: Small fizz on it. Complements the fruit flavors.

D: What can I say? Big fan of the fruity smells. Makes me think of a nice fall day. Can a beer go well with donuts?

01-06-2007 03:28:55 | More by ndekke39
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

This beer poured a cloudy brown with a thick head – not too much lacing. The smell is quite malty and a bit sour. The taste is very malty and somewhat sour - the alcohol is noticeable. There is slight bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is full but not thick or chewy. The carbonation is very apparent. This is a delicious beer that I’d love to drink often.

01-04-2007 01:58:51 | More by barefootbrewer
ybnorml

Rhode Island

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A clean dark brown ale with nice ruby highlights. Has a silky smooth and creamy beige head and a nice lace ring. The aroma is full of dried fruit, raisins and figs. With hints of apple, nuts and oak in the background. The taste starts with a quick hint of tabacco and then slides into the cornocopia of dried fruits, nuts and wood. The tabacco character comes back on the finish. To add dryness as a balance for the sweetness in the middle.

11-20-2006 01:31:26 | More by ybnorml
Vancer

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Well now, this is some amazing stuff, but geez, $8 for a 11 ouncer (cheapie side of me coming out).

Gorgeous clear and deep mahogany oak pour, topped by a massive ivory head. The lacing was more along the lines of sheets, instead of rings. Really liked the sediment goodies at the end of the bottle.

The spicey candied apples in the aroma really opened my eyes, and holy cow – this stuff has whiffs of single malt scotch in it! I almost paired this up with a Glenlivet on the rocks – but I wanted to stay awake for the football game.

Caramel and brownies in the taste, along with some roasted nuts, and Bing cherries (not the cheap cherries, Bing cherries).

Only small drawback, the texture was a smidgen thin and flat. But still, a very drinkable and enjoyable treat – but $50 for a sixer? OOPH.

11-06-2006 17:01:53 | More by Vancer
andjusticeforale

Connecticut

4.15/5  rDev 0%

This was nice and copper, a touch darker, with some great sweet musty smell, some more traditional beer smells than are usually found for a trappist. Smells a bit like fine brandy.

The head is tremendous. beautiful white and it receded but never disappeared. The taste is bready and there are some sweet phenols noodling around in your nose. There is some great carbonation at the end that kills the sweetness, although it is sweet malty trappiste heaven.

all in all, this is the very druinkable little brother to no.s 8 and 10. I would have no complaints to drink this all night, except that is costs four bucks a thimbleful, essentially. Its a must if you dig trappists though.

10-22-2006 00:09:17 | More by andjusticeforale
waughbrew

2.42/5  rDev -41.7%

Acorn colored with a huge small-bubbled but not-creamy off-white head on top. Smell is minerally, oily, and a bit orangy. Flavor is not pleasurable to me. I cannot stop thinking of gasoline. Hot alcohol and a very nut-oily, medium-thick, sweet, pretty 1-dimensional taste. Hints of chocolate and cherries, but the reminiscence of rum just turns me off. It improves drastically as it gets to room temperature, but to my palate it still seems amateurish compared to what I want from a strong Belgian dark ale. Scratch the sweet rumminess and whatever else makes me think of gasoline, and I might enjoy it. Apparently Rochefort beers are not my bag.

10-18-2006 03:28:39 | More by waughbrew