Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a mysterious, chocolatey light brown with a thin but stubborn head. I've loved the appearance of ever unfiltered belgian strong dark I've ever encountered, and little Rochefort doesn't disappoint.

Malt, Belgian yeast, and some esters on the nose. A little weaker than I was expecting, but it has a definite Belgian-style banana smell to it. My first Rochefort in months and shit, am I excited.

Sweet, lightly roasted malts are the first flavor, followed by some bananas. None of the alcoholic spiciness of 8 or 10, and a lot less fruit and complexity.

Slick, heavy mouthfeel, but a lot lighter than the other two Rochforts; the carbonation is light and appropriate.

I just can't help comparing this to the other two Rocheforts...

A very nice beer, delightfully Belgian, but at the end of the day all it does for me is make me crave Rochefort 8.

kajerm, Mar 10, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Pours a pretty clear reddish brown color with a small 1/4" head of small of white bubbles at first, but the head fades pretty quickly to end up as a small, but persistent, foamy top on the beer. I can't really see any bubbles rising to maintain the head, so what I have is what was there from the pour.

Aroma: The aroma is really mild when compared to this beer’s cousins. I get some clean malty notes with what I perceive as a toasty Munich malt in particular. I still get a bit of the plum and dark fruit that you expect from a Rochefort beer, but it is much more subtle in this version.

Taste: This beer comes across the palate squeaky clean with a whole lot of depth of flavor that wasn't apparent in the aroma. I definitely get the dark fruit that you expect from a Rochefort beer, but the palate is light and almost fluffy (if I could use such a word to describe the flavor of a beer). There are some clean and defined bready notes to the beer that make it seem much more substantial, but at 7.5%ABV, it is no small beverage on the Girth scale...but unfortunately I am comparing it to the 10. If I am getting hops in this one, it certainly is subtle. The malt runs the show from the first sip into the finish.

Opinion: This is an incredible beer. I must stick by my guns and say that I probably think that the #8 is the most drinkable and flavorful beer, but this one is still most satisfying. Though I think that the 10 is one of the most incredible beers that ever was produced by man, it is such that if you drink one that you can't drink anything else. The 8 I am enjoying right now is not that way, and I feel like I could polish off a whole six-pack of this stuff. Unfortunately, none of these beers are available in my regular market of Texas anymore, so I will just finish the one that I just got in Florida and reflect upon it when I get home. Sad but true.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 09, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +8%

It seems as if everyone naturally gravitates towards the venerable Rochefort 10. Of course, it is a classic. Yet I think the most underrated and undervalued beer in the Rochefort lineup is clearly the Rochefort 6.

This beer almost tastes like the diminuitive version of the 10. It has all of the drinkability, character, and plum and fruit esters from the Belgian yeast, but without the potency, alcohol warmth and depth of the 10. As a result, it is a much more approachable and gregarious beer.

However, since it is much drier, it seems to go down that much easier. The Rochefort 10 has a slight cloying full-bodiedness that the 6 doesn't have - after 1 or 2 Rochefort 10s, I've had enough as my palate is coated with syrup. Yet the 6 has a nice yeasty spice and subtle hop twang to wipe the slate clean with every sip.

The 6 is just a great treat with enough character and resistance to keep you wanting more. I'm very bullish on this beer. I'm going to rock a 6-pack of it the next time I crash a house party.

Sixpoint, Mar 06, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Poured out a reddish/brown color with a foamy, two-finger head. Leaves some very nice lace.

S - It smelled of malt, grasses and vanilla.

T - Tasted strongly of malt, spice and dried fruits. Also, a powerful alcohol presence.

M - A crisp mouthfeel. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is yet another great Rochefort brew.

zeff80, Feb 23, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally came across the 6; the third and final Rochefort for me to review - 330 mL bottle with 28/09/10 on the label, making Oct. '05 the bottling date. It pours into the tulip an orange/garnet, hugely active, with a 3-finger, off-white, fluffy head that becomes more dense as it settles, and leaves nice sheets of lace. There are notes of rum bread, plums, anise, and green hops in the nose, with hints of vanilla, apples, chocolate, blue/blackberries, and sweet cherries - quite pleasant. It is harsh and overly-carbonated on the first sip, so I let it warm for a bit before resuming. When I do, I find rum bread, cinnamon, anise, maybe some other spices, yeast, and green hops that impart a mild bitterness. After the initial carbonation subsides, I find a medium, drying body, and a short finish that slowly lengthens. Overall it was a bit too harsh, and, although it has nice accents, I feel that it needed more sweet malts to give them some ballast. A fairly good Belgian, but for a Trappist, this was kind-of a let down. Maybe I didn't get the best bottle, or maybe it's just not up my alley, but I'm sure I'll meet this beer again sometime, perhaps if only for its namesake.

mmmbeer, Feb 19, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Gotta love them trappist beers. This one (Rocerfort 6) pours a light brown with excellent head retention. Sediment could also be seen floating around the glass. There were some enticing chocolate, bread and fuit smells going on in this one, which all seemed to get stronger as the beer warmed to room temperature. Taste had loads of fruits such as figs and grapes, with a bit of caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel was light to medium, and oh so smooth on the palate. This was easily the most drinkable of the three offerings from Rochefort. Kudos to the brothers for suggesting pairing it with some soft cheeses. I used some Chimay cheese and crumbled goat cheese on what crackers. In short, great beer. Cheers

jamie2dope, Feb 16, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 11.2oz.bottle. Began with a nice head that disappeared quickly, the color is a dark rusty orange, murky with tiny carbonation bubbles gently rising to the surface. The smell is of caramel and molasses, the flavor is very similar, don't detect any alcohol flavor.The mouthfeel is slightly watery around the edges of my tongue, this would be an extremely drinkable beer if it wasn't for the price.

Barleywhiner, Feb 07, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

11.2 fl oz brown bottle, served in an oversized wine glass.
L 22 03
08:11

Pours a heavily-clouded, light caramel. An inch and a half high, delicate foam that recedes to an active, intact whispy sheet. Delicate, cascading lace.

Caramelized brown sugar and sweet molasses; faint hints of toffee and creamy, milk chocolate. Rich, dark spices: nutmeg, cinnamon. Undertones of aged, vinous fruit: fig, apple, plum.

Creamy, milk chocolate and toffee flavored malt character. Apple and orange tones that add a touch of tartness to the rich, vinous plum and fig. The alcohol character is remarkably complex as it puts its mark on both the vinous fruit and the deep, rich malty flavors.

A full-medium in body; rich and creamy prior to an intense wave of carbonation. The carbonation borders on annoyance and retracts from this ale's wonderful flavors.

A well crafted ale that could be so much better if it were not for the intensity of carbonation. Probably my least favorite of the Rochefort offerings, but still mandatory for any Belgian lover.

NEhophead, Jan 23, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice.

A: Pours a clear ruby brown with a decent amount of carbonation. One finger head that retains a thin cap. Minimal lace.

S: Aromas of bananas, walnuts, and molassas.

T: Delicious flavors of hazelnuts, walnuts, banana nut or zucchini bread, bittersweet chocolate, brown sugar, and molassas. I also pick up a fleeting flavor like peat smoked malt! All this is held together by a mild hoppy bitterness.

M: I poured this at somewhere between 55-60 degrees. I feel that those temps make for the best mouthfeel for this beer. Full and creamy with a dry, tart, bitterness to keep things interesting.

D: Well hidden alcohol with wonderful flavors and aromas. What more do I need to say? Kinda pricey but worth it.

GbVDave, Jan 16, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Had high hopes for this after having the 10, and wasn't let down.

Pours a deep mahoghany hue, with irregular, spotty bubbles. Smells of banana, bready malt, and yeast.

Tastes almost similar to a doppelbock, a distinct dark malt and grain note is unmistakeable. Banana bread is a big flavor, followed by a smoothing maltiness. Seems akin to a Dubbel, not thin or wimpy at all.

Exceptionally smooth mouthfeel, a buttery diacetyl eases it along. If money was no object, I could make six of these disappear, easy.

emerge077, Jan 07, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Finally drank my cellared bottle for New Year's Eve 2006. Received it for an anniversary gift (best wife ever!). Best-by date says August 18, 2008. It's an 11.2 oz bottle. 7.5% ABV.

A: Pours a hazy reddish-brown. Thin, off-white head with no retention.

S: Fruity and bready: heavy on the yeast, crisp apples (love that in particular), bananas, sugar, alcohol. As the beer warmed, it smelled like a fresh apple cider, too... lovely spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. Huge fan of the smells. A very multi-layered experience.

T: Tastes of sweet yeastiness, burnt sugar, darker tones of the apple, touch of alcohol.

M: Small fizz on it. Complements the fruit flavors.

D: What can I say? Big fan of the fruity smells. Makes me think of a nice fall day. Can a beer go well with donuts?

ndekke39, Jan 06, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -1%

This beer poured a cloudy brown with a thick head – not too much lacing. The smell is quite malty and a bit sour. The taste is very malty and somewhat sour - the alcohol is noticeable. There is slight bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is full but not thick or chewy. The carbonation is very apparent. This is a delicious beer that I’d love to drink often.

barefootbrewer, Jan 04, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

A clean dark brown ale with nice ruby highlights. Has a silky smooth and creamy beige head and a nice lace ring. The aroma is full of dried fruit, raisins and figs. With hints of apple, nuts and oak in the background. The taste starts with a quick hint of tabacco and then slides into the cornocopia of dried fruits, nuts and wood. The tabacco character comes back on the finish. To add dryness as a balance for the sweetness in the middle.

ybnorml, Nov 20, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +8%

Well now, this is some amazing stuff, but geez, $8 for a 11 ouncer (cheapie side of me coming out).

Gorgeous clear and deep mahogany oak pour, topped by a massive ivory head. The lacing was more along the lines of sheets, instead of rings. Really liked the sediment goodies at the end of the bottle.

The spicey candied apples in the aroma really opened my eyes, and holy cow – this stuff has whiffs of single malt scotch in it! I almost paired this up with a Glenlivet on the rocks – but I wanted to stay awake for the football game.

Caramel and brownies in the taste, along with some roasted nuts, and Bing cherries (not the cheap cherries, Bing cherries).

Only small drawback, the texture was a smidgen thin and flat. But still, a very drinkable and enjoyable treat – but $50 for a sixer? OOPH.

Vancer, Nov 06, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

This was nice and copper, a touch darker, with some great sweet musty smell, some more traditional beer smells than are usually found for a trappist. Smells a bit like fine brandy.

The head is tremendous. beautiful white and it receded but never disappeared. The taste is bready and there are some sweet phenols noodling around in your nose. There is some great carbonation at the end that kills the sweetness, although it is sweet malty trappiste heaven.

all in all, this is the very druinkable little brother to no.s 8 and 10. I would have no complaints to drink this all night, except that is costs four bucks a thimbleful, essentially. Its a must if you dig trappists though.

andjusticeforale, Oct 22, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -41.5%

Acorn colored with a huge small-bubbled but not-creamy off-white head on top. Smell is minerally, oily, and a bit orangy. Flavor is not pleasurable to me. I cannot stop thinking of gasoline. Hot alcohol and a very nut-oily, medium-thick, sweet, pretty 1-dimensional taste. Hints of chocolate and cherries, but the reminiscence of rum just turns me off. It improves drastically as it gets to room temperature, but to my palate it still seems amateurish compared to what I want from a strong Belgian dark ale. Scratch the sweet rumminess and whatever else makes me think of gasoline, and I might enjoy it. Apparently Rochefort beers are not my bag.

waughbrew, Oct 18, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Rochefort 6 is just what I have come to expect from this line of beers. The 6 is much like it's higher AC brothers but with a sweeter twinge. The mouthfeel is very efferfescent (sp?) and bubbly. Very tasty but just not quite as good as the 8 or the 10. I would still drink this beer as regularly as I can obtain it.

rustymoore, Oct 08, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a chalice. Poured a cloudy, medium brown with noticeable sediment. Small, fluffy, off-white head. Thin remnants of the head stayed around for the life of the drink.

Aroma of yeasty bread, with a bit of citrusy sourness.

Nice bready taste with some sort of spice that I can't quite place.

Medium body. Tingly, frothy beginning, then slightly oily, and finishing dry.

Not quite what I have come to expect from a strong Belgian ale, but very nice. A bit more refreshing than the heavier Belgians.

AmorousAngel, Oct 07, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Served straight out of a fridge into a chalice.
Appearance - Cloudy hazel brown (a little like a cup of tea). Head had a subtle brown/red tinge that quickly faded to nothing (too cold?). What was left did not look appetising.
Smell - things started to pick up here. Winey plums and the sniff of warm alcohol and mollases. Intense.
Taste - bready malt, bags of estery red fruit and a sharp, lip-smacking dryness. At first somewhat harsh, but flavours rounded out as the beer warmed up.
Mouthfeel - Tightly carbonated, very spritzy and slightly oily on the tongue: Couldn't shake the feeling it was somehow at odds with the taste of this beer.
Drinkability - At this strength it's a one bottle round for me.
Notes: I was somewhat disappointed with this beer. I think the serving temp was wrong and so I'm not willing to give up on it yet...

lagomswedish, Sep 27, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Pours a crystal clear deep amber with a rocky off-white head. Tons of small bubbles race to the top.

S - Aroma is sweet with scents of dark fruits. Almost smells a little bready and perhaps a little sour - but not in a bad way at all.

T - Semi sweet. The flavor is complex. Plums, cherries, bready, hints of chocolate. Slightly vinous with a dry finish. At first I noticed the alcohol bite but after a few more sips, the flavor dominates. Nice maltiness to round things out.

M - First sip turned into a foam ball in my mouth. The mouthfeel is light with a crisp finish. Tons of carbonation.

D - Was this a Strong Dark Ale? It's definitely a quaffable beer and at 7.5%, it's not as damaging as the style permits. I'd have another if it wasn't $5 for 11.2oz.

Rezzin, Sep 19, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A very appealing deepamber color body. White one inch head retained a few minutes before breaking down to a nice coating on the top. Tons of small carbonation bubbles. Wispy lacing coats glass all the way down.

Aroma invites the nose to dive into the glass. A very nice scent of fresh bread is pleasent. Very easy to also note scent of plums, and red grapes. A very light alcohol hint helps warm the aroma to the nose.

Very nice taste improves on the scent. The bready characteristics in the aroma are present in the taste. A nice blend of rich fruits finishes with a change to light citrus taste. Tastes like eating a plum and adding just a hint of lemon rind in at the end. Light notes of alcohol give this just a right amount of bite.

A very decent thickness to be found in this beer. A huge burst of carbonation tingles on the tongue.

A very nice offering. This is a must add to my dark ale roster. I would pair this with a nice roasted pork loin and gravy for a Sunday dinner. If you can get your hands on this, do.

RedChrome, Sep 09, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance- A very deep and opaque brown shoe polish, tanned leather. No real visible bubbling I'll chalk up to the color. A good two finger head that dissipates very fast and leaves no retaning foam.

Smell- Reminds me of a barn, but the good smells you can pull from such a hub of earthy aromas. Some sweet brown sugar dulled bye some acidic brown aromas.

Taste- A mellow sweetness reminiscent of tootsie rolls mixes with a slightly astringent vinous character. Plenty of natural and earthy flavors give this beer an organic feel. Well crafted and pleasant with my pork roast and baked potatoes.

scruffwhor, Sep 05, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

This is the first of the Rochefort flight that I've been able to try.

Appearance: Pretty dark brown, with orange highlights. Moderate head, with exceptional retention.

Smell: Lots of fruit in the nose, both dark (fig, raisin) and tropical. A little bit of sourness towards the tail end of the aroma that makes me think of lambics. Slight alcohol and hops presences as well.

Taste: Yum. Dark fruit, maltiness that is reminiscent of a dubbel, followed by some spice character. A little biscuit in the finish, with a slightly acidic aftertaste. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, but with fairly high carbonation that cuts it nicely.

Drinkability: Very high.

hunteraw, Aug 28, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +1%

Pours a gorgeous dark amber color with ruby highlights. Very cloudy with a dense off white head with great tracing. Aromas burst with sweet, ripe fruits, esters abound. Can't quite put my nose to words but this one is full of intense fruity aromas. Flavor is subtle roasted notes, caramel, more fruits, plums and raisins. Finish is sweet but also a bit mouth puckering dry, an interesting contrast. Hop flavor is very subtle if barely detected, bitterness as well. This is quite a beer. The carbonation level seems medium, could have gone higher, but I like the lessened amount for bigger beers. The off dry finish is somewhat off putting for me, but understandable for style. I have found the other two Rocheforts to be a bit more rustic while I think this is more approachable and enjoyable. An ideal digestif or dessert pairing for pear or apple based desserts.

dreadnatty08, Aug 27, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

One of the best beers I've ever had. As most of my impressions have been described by previous reviewers, I will keep this short.
I had this one at the Pub Italia in Ottawa's Little Italy. The server gave me the goblet and the bottle so I could pour my own at my own speed. Nice move. The bar was a little too dimly lit to get a good look at the colouring, but it poured nice and rich, with a proper puffy head that had great longevity, and with beautiful lacing right to the bottom of the glass.
The aroma is rich and complex. My taste buds are not as refined as some of the other reviewers, so check their notes for the full repertoire of assorted flavours. But suffice it to say, it smells very inviting, and sets up the drink admirably.
The taste is a full bodied, big malt taste, with enough hops to maintain a proper balance. Not as sweet as the 8 or 10. Just yummy.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a surprising amount of effervescence for such a heavy looking brew. Looks can be deceiving. It has a smooth, light mouthfeel, a bit lighter than the 8 or 10.
Drinkability: Absolutely wonderful. The only thing that held me back from having another was the price. ($8.95, with tax for a total of $10.39)
This will be my special treat beer whenever I want to celebrate something.

Conrad, Aug 25, 2006