Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance - Dark murky amber. Nice big foamy head. Almost no retention. No lacing.

Smell - Brown sugar, raisins, banana, orange peel, yeast.

Taste - It starts with a little sour fruit some green apples, and oranges. Some raisins and brown sugar are next. The lasting bannana and yeast flavor lingers.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied beer. Very active carbonation. Refreshing.

Drinkability - This is wonderfully complex yet light and easy to drink.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a chalice a nice mahogany color, nice carbonation, nice small creamy off-white head, which then left some nice islands and creamy sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is malty, plums, raisins, figs, and some caramel. The taste is very nice, malty, sweet, a slight tang, and fruity. You would not know there was any alcohol in this puppy. Medium body, well rounded/complex brew. Very drinkable, I'm really enjoying this one, highly recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Beer poured a nice deep brown color into my goblet. It had an awesome, thick, creamy head on top that had a sort of plateau effect where I poured in the middle. Very cool.

Smelled a lot like other strong dark ales I've had, with slight tea like notes and a strong citrus backbone. I enjoyed the smell here, but it wasn't anything stand out.

upon the first sip, my mouth is overun by carbonation. The citrus and tea scents are prevailent, along with a caramelish finish. no real hoppy flavors to speak of, but that's not really what this style is about.

The carbonation kind of hurts this one, but not so much as to make it a bad beer. It's just rather bubbly.

Overall, this is a fairly average and tame depiction of a belgian strong dark ale. I have the Eight as well, I can't wait to try it, as I hear that it's much better than the Six.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

11.2 oz. bottle- color of extremely dark honey, with a thick tan head - nose of raisins, apricots, and slight orange – taste of raisins, apricots, and slight orange - body is light, and with low to medium carbonation – aftertaste of raisins, apricots, orange, and malt

2.88/5  rDev -30.4%

Drank from a 11.2 fl. oz/330 ml bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a translucent, murky brown with a touch of crimson. The frothy, light tan, one-finger head faded to a clingy film of lace that lasted throughout the drink.

The aroma was subdued initially but came out more as the beer warmed. Rich, toasted malts, Belgian yeast and Belgian candi sugar were apparent. A spicy (cinnamon and allspice), herbal quality was also quite noticeable, along with a distinct rumminess. As the beer continued to warm, the alcohol became pervasive.

The taste was somewhat thin and rather sharp. Toasted malts were noticeable up front with spices coming in mid-palate. The finish was spicy and rather hot for a mere 7.5% ABV. A slightly herbal, medicinal hoppiness was detectable as well.

The mouthfeel was one of the worst I have ever experienced. This beer was so over carbonated that it felt like an airy, prickly mass on my tongue. Even as the beer sat, it never settled down.

Overall, this beer was a disappointment (especially when compared to the 10). In its defense however, I may be scoring the taste too low simply because the carbonation did not give the liquid sufficient time to settle on my palate.

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance- Body is a dark, fairly clear amber. The head was an o-ff-white with little staing power and no lacing,.

Aroma- Somewhat sour smell, but not sour-mash. Very clean, slightly malty. Slighty sweet when you get your nose down into the glass. A little to delicate for my honker.

Taste- A very smokey, slightly malty taste up front. Not much malt sweetness left. The hops are very well blended into a seamless middle bitterness. Has a very hot and spicey finish.

Carbonation- Personally, I thnk this beer is way over-carbonated. It deadens the tounge so much, you miss a lot of the flavor. Body is medium.

Drinkability- The taste is very interesting, but the overcarbonation really turns me off.

2.35/5  rDev -43.2%

Allow me to preface this review by suggesting that the particular bottle acquired (from the Toronado Pub in San Francisco), may have turned prior to drinking.

That said, after having heard the Trappistes hailed as something of benevolence time and time again, I was more than a little excited - even to pay $11 for this single 11.2 fl oz bottle - and couldn't hardly wait to pop the top on this one. Unfortunately, I was presented with a disaster.

Pouring a muddy brown with large solids visible, I will give this brew some merit upon its wonderfully light mouthfeel, hints of fragrant apple and beautiful lacing. On the flip side of the coin, I simply didn't find any balance in the flavor here, the affront of alcohol leaving a sour aftertaste on my tongue akin to that found from a bottle of cheap vodka. I can only hope that this was on account of my particular bottle having gone bad and should my next encounter with this product ring upon a more positive note, I will be back to tell you about it!

4.18/5  rDev +1%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a glowing hazy ruby-brown color. Soft foamy/creamy off-white head.

Smell: Smells of lightly sugered and spiced plums, figs, and dark bread. Very warm aroma overall.

Taste: Spicy flavor with dark fruits, sugar, and a bit of bread. Very nice, but unfortunately not so distinct as the aroma. Semi-sharp finish with mellow aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Great soft feel with light- to medium-body. Light carbonation.

Drinkability: Alcohol is very mild in the taste, but some of the other flavors are too mild as well.

A very enjoyable beer; not as rich as some other Belgian strong dark ales, but still very tasty. I'd rather get a Rochefort 8 for the same price, but I don't mean any major disrespect to this beer. An excellent starting point for darker Trappist ales.

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

My first Rochefort, I'm very excited.

Pours a dark bloody rust with an abundant hazelnut colored head with amazing retention. Absolutely beautiful.

Chocolate notes support a light rye maltiness. The balance comes in the form of grape and starfruit esters. Spicy chili phenols attack with alcohol support.

Sweet, dark (chocolate and toffee barley) malts are the stars of this brew which sits very well with this malt-mouth. The fruity esters balance this brew like rye bread and preserves with a little buttery ease to tie them together. Clean, almost vanilla-like smoothness aftertaste and the flavors subside one by one from tip to stern of the tongue. The alcohol is apparent and gives this brew the edge that many heavier beer drinkers look for, like myself.

Carbonation is crisp and clean. Finish is dry and spicy and almost wine-like. Refreshing for a heavier ale.

A very good beer reserved for those who know. Complex, malty, and estery, highly recommended. I'm always mixed when alcohol is present, but at 7.5% its nowhere near as bad as you'd think. A great beer that I could drink all day except that four would probably put me to sleep.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Gorgeous thick and creamy head, several fingers deep, comes blasting out of the bottle atop a dark brown ale featuring maroon highlights and bottle conditioned haze. Lacing is full, thick and sticky.

There is plenty going on in the nose, including toasted malt and dark fruit, but it was a little light. Esters and a pinch of warming alcohol.

Carbonation and phenolic alcohols take the flavor off the palate a little quickly, so that the ripe fig, diacetyl and dark chocolate don't get a full chance to shine. The flavor is tasty but just a bit lacking in body and complexity.

At 7.5%, the baby brother of the Rochefort beers loses some ground to other Strong Darks due to thinness of body. Smooth and quite light for the color and flavor profile, partially due to the high carbonation. Very tasty Dark Ale, not quite the richness and complexity of the very best, but enjoyable and very drinkable for the style.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

hanks again to Dave M. for the Trappist Rochefort 3 pack, direct from Belgium.
Appearance: Deep red/brown with 2 finger tan head that coated the side of the glass. Hold it up to the light and see the uniform tiny shimmering bubbles.
Smell: Sweet malt, with a trace of hops ,
Taste: A perfect malt and hop blend.
Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, no heavy alcohol afterburn.
Drinkability: If stranded on a desert island, this may be the one I want. Even better than the 8.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a light cola brown, with a bit tan head, tonnes of beautiful lacing. Smell of caramel, sweet peaches and alcohol. Dark fruit, complex, a touch of spice, malty and moderate alcohol. This is a very tasty beer, with sweetness upfront, then some phenols and esters, and it finishes a touch dry.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rich brown with red highlights. A big, off-white head that lasts leaving me with the impression of cool-whip atop my beer.
Smell is sweet, sour, cherry, light apricot, oak, malt and thoroughly inviting.
Taste is even better than the nose with cherry, oak, malt, yeast, alcohol and eventually some hops.
Medium body, plentiful effervescence, warms the throat. An aftertaste that is reminscent of fruitcake with lingering cherry & brandy flavors though there was pine/resin up front. A very good brew, glad I finally got the Trappistes "trifecta".

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Dark orange brown body. Creamy light tan head with medium bubble constellations. Great lace and good retention.
Dominating malts, sweet and delicious, some bread and nutty hops.
Caramel malts, slightly spiced and a nice compliment of mild hops.
Long aftertaste of sweet brown sugar and caramel.
Medium body, good coating.
Highly drinkable. Very easygoing and pleasant.

-Oelergud

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a wide mouthed goblet...mistake, should have used a Duvel style glass, this thing has a massive head. Lots of carbonation. The head does settle with no lacing. Beer pours an amber-brown.

Smells of malt and sweet alcohol with a little pepper.

First sip tastes like white bread toast, on the darker side of toasting but not burnt. A little peppery spice and a dry finish. The alcohol is present and dry but not very warming. Some dried fruit and green pepper in there, but take away the sweetness. The beer gets a little sour up front the more you get into it, possibly from the drying aftertaste from the previous drinks? The beer is bitter as well, but no hop presence. I like this the more I drink it. I like my candy Belgian beers but this one is nice as well.

The mouthfeel is a little lighter than I would like.

I agree with another review I read in here. This beer does taste a lot like watered down cognac, but less sweet and full of carbonation. It would go great with some of the creamier dark chocolates.

Not worth the $5.50 to have it again, but certainly worth it to try once.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

A- Pours a hazy brown amber with three fingers of thick white head, that settles to a layer in about a minute. No lacing or legs to speak of.

S- Sweet malt is prevalent, with notes of melba toast, yeast, pepper, and faint alcohol. No hop aroma.

T- Wow. ummm, ok... not at all what I was expecting. Fits within the ridiculously broad style guidelines, though. Slightly bitter, but not a hop bitterness. Almost like... if you took the sweet out of anise and simply had that flavor. It's hard to describe, as you can see by my grasping at straws. A very dry, toasty finish... But there is no sweet malty at all in this beer. Some slight malty overtones, but without the sweetness that normally comes along. I like this beer more the more I drink it. The almost sour/bitter flavor takes a bit of getting used to though.

M- Ridiculously carbonated. Almost a peppery mouthfeel because it's so carbonated and dry.

D- As I said, I like it more the more I drink it... but it's not worth the money, by a long shot. A very imbalanced beer that tastes more like a watered-down cognac with a foolish amount of carbonation. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good. Just not worth the 6 bucks I paid for the bottle.

IF YOU DRINK ONE, let it warm, and let it get a little flatter. it's much, much better that way.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Pours a hazy burgundy color with a fair amount of head atop. Solid retention and lacing.

S: Sweet, sugary scent with an undertone of fruit. Yeasty and alcoholic smelling, somewhat inviting.

T: A rather dry and sweet malt adventure that sits with a Belgian sugar and spicy tinge to it. Yeasty and bread-like, with hints of nuts and a nice hoppiness toward the end.

M: Carbonated generously with a smooth and creamy texture.

D: A very drinkable Belgian overall, not sure if I'd consider it a favorite, even though it is strikingly good. Would definitely not turn down another glass of this, and would recommend it to those who haven't tried the 8 or 10 first.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

33cl bottle into a goblet.

Pours a murky brown with lots of little floaters and a nice light tan head.

Smell is very delicate. Just a hint of brown sugar and a slight grape scent.

Very tasty. Sugary, but not overly so. Grapes and dates as well as molasses with slightly noticable alcohol as it warms.

A very fine brew to be sure, but not world class like the 8 and 10.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

This dark Belgian Ale pours a deep cloudy brown with amber highlights. A great thick head that really hold well. A heavy lace and lots of visible sediment.

Not terribly aromatic, especially in contrast to other similar brews. A light fruity hint and little else.

The flavor is characteristics of many Belgian ales with the familiar fruity bitterness; hints of tart apple, prune, and citrus. Surprisingly is was heavy in carbonation, possibly too much for my taste.

A bright and clean mouthfeel despite the thick initial texture and amount of sediment. It was a solid beer, but I expected more after having the Trappistes Rochefort 10.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Charred orange accented by brick red. I expected to see some yeast, but the beer is pristine after the initial pour. Perhaps the final pour will murk things up a little. The airy crown of foam is the color of polished pearls bathed in a soft orange light. Soft streamers of lace decorate the glass in an appealing fashion and solidify the (less than dark) BSDA look.

The nose is good without being fantastic. Going on appearance and aroma alone, it seems like 6 is a lighter end of the spectrum Belgian dark ale rather than a BSDA. I smell unsweet caramel malt, musky dark fruit and a dash of spicy Belgian yeast.

Although I still think the above style is incorrect, this is definitely good beer. The fruitiness is more along the lines of bruised apples, white raisins and dried figs. It doesn't quite reach the 'dates' stage of darkness and is nowhere near the 'raisins and plums' stage. I'm sure the monks felt like they needed to distinguish it from the higher-ABV, darker, maltier Rochefort 8.

The beer has a stealth complexity. One can easily quaff it without a second thought, but a little probing reveals a beautiful proportionality between malt, hops and spicy yeast. I like the fact that 6 favors the dry, crisp portion of the BSDA spectrum. It's too bad that it only comes in 33 cl bottles because I could easily go for a '750' right about now.

As anticipated, the addition of the final few inches of beer both darkens and murks things up quite nicely. It also makes the flavor profile even more bold. If you can manage it, I'd suggest choosing a drinking vessel that allows you to drain the entire bottle with one smooth pour. I know I'll be doing that next time (and there will most certainly be a next time).

I had to carefully ration the final few ounces in order to assess the mouthfeel. The beer was disappearing so fast that I feared I'd run out ahead of schedule. While the mouthfeel is light for the style, it has a gorgeous feel and is expertly carbonated. No letdown here; not even close.

I don't know why it took me so long to drink my first offering from one of the most respected breweries in the world. I was less than floored initially, but now that I'm at the bottom of the bottle, I'm able to recognize the brilliance of Trappistes Rochefort 6. If it was less expensive, I'd gladly buy this delicious elixir in bulk. Now I can't wait to drink 8 and 10.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a slightly hazy mahogany red with a foamy light tan head that forms a lot of lace. Smell was nicely floral banana bread, that wonderful Rochefort yeast strain that is prevelent in all their beers. Taste was like Rochefort 8, but the hops are more pronounced. Dark fruits and bready, with a long earthy hop finish. Taste was crisper than the 8 and the 10, but that velvetty smoothness and well-veiled ABV are still wonderfully present. This is very drinkable, when compared to other strong dark ales.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a semi clear brown color with just a slight hint of red. The head was disappointing and did not leave much if any lacing. I will discount this due to the fact that I just washed my glass. The smell is of hint of wine and chocolate, mellow, quite pleasant but not overpowering. The taste has tones of chocolate and some sweetness to it, though it is hard to pinpoint, maybe cherries. The feel is very fizzy, I believe it takes away from the taste a bit. But beyond the over carbonation, this is brew goes down easy. The only negative is the over carbonation, aside from that this beer has a nice mellow flavor and is very drinkable. Not as fruity as other BSDAs.

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a hazy, reddish brown with a modest head that dissipates quickly leaving a fine cap of foam.

Nose of sweet malt, molasses and dates.

Taste is spectacular, well balanced, yet complex. To recall from memory, can't say whether I prefer this or the Rochefort 8.

Outstanding with nice carbonation, alcohol well hidden, just a joy to drink.

Could easily put many of these away, in this respect perhaps the most drinkable Rochefort.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Dark reddish amber, slightly cloudy with 1" of thick rough head that sticks around a long time. Just the look makes my mouth water.
S: A rich aroma of malt, slight hints of chocolate, coffee & mild phenols. Slightly sweet, reminds me somewhat of a dubbel.
T: A wonderfully unique taste. Slightly sweet, very malty, almost no hop character. Fruitiness typical of the style is present but quite mild, as is the alcohol. Not sure why, but the taste isn't what I expected. Delightful brew.
M: Smooth & very rich but not creamy, lots of fizz.
D: Very drinkable, smooth and tasty. It's not my favorite Trappist beer, but still worthy of another sample.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours with classic dubbel thickness, and a pretty toasted brown with some russet highlights. The head is sticky and tenacious. Phenolic aroma enhanced by yeasty chocolate and spice notes. Some earthy hops, too. Very little in the way of sweet caramel smells -- no evidence of caramelization of sugars in the nose. On the palate, light and fresh flavors for a beer this rich. Very soft sweetness, like malted chocolate, and a pronounced nutty yeast flavor. High, sustained notes of fruitiness throughout the palate, but especially notable at the end. Light in mouthfeel, with just a touch of present alcohol toward the end, and subtle, unobtrusive carbonation. What a fabulous beer. Prototypical for the dubbel style, and obscenely hard to improve upon.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort