Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
Reviews: 932 | Hads: 2,186
3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured the color of my high school class ring. Seeing that the stone is allegedly a garnet the beer is colored a dark red. Light pokes through easily around the edges. Covered with a thin film of head that was originally very large and bubbley. Nose was very understated... bit sweet with a hint of prunes and the alcohol.

Flavor is oddly simple. I was expecting a bit more (second beer tonite that did that to me). Bit fruity and juicy at first. Kind of like a crushed some apples, grapes and pears into a glass and drank it. Little bit of spice. I can just detect the alcohol. Medium body and actually a bit watery. Did not improve as the beer warmed and I actually thought it got worse. (692 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10%

Trapsit Rochefort 6 pours a slightly cloudy mahogany color with nearly perfect, off-white head. The haze is probably due to the yeast in the bottle. It smells a little spicy; there are also hints of dark fruits and cocoa.

It tastes a little phenol-y and buttery. Mmmmm, two of my favorite things in this world. It is very rounded in the malt area with just a little bit of a spicy hop bite. Reminds me of plum and is very warm.

Don’t overlook this one. While Trapist makes other fine offerings, this one is still a great beer. It is very well rounded and has many good qualities. Fine beer. (598 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +1%

I recieved the three pack sampler from my inlaws for Christmas. The set included a glass, which is really nice, and this is the first beer that I am having from the set.

Pours out an effervesant brownish color with a small head. The smell is mild and malty with something spicy in the background. Taste is sweeter than I expected. Light maple syrup, brown sugar and spice. Very little bitterness if anything at all is present. At 7.5% this beer hides its alcohol well. Ending has a kind of dryness to it as well.

Not what I expected at all but still very good. I did expect the sweet notes all the way through but also some bitterness to balance it out. But what do I know, they have been doing it a lot longer than I have been around. Cheers to my inlaws! (763 characters)

Bubbles gush forth from the semi-hazy medium brown body upon decanting. A decent head forms quickly but soon dissipates. The nose is slightly sulphury, a touch metallic perhaps, and also shows light dried fruit and spice. The palate consists of an extremely smooth melding of flavors. Soft, round malt is followed by a gentle bitterness, which blends easily into a tart finish. The robust alcohol finally begins to make its presence known in the form of a nice warmth that settles deep in the stomach. (501 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a regular ol' 11.2 oz bottle into my St. Bernardus chalice. Poured a nice dark amber/brown with a decent off-white head that dissipated quickly, leaving some faint lacing. Smell was the best part of this beer for me, with strong dark fruity flavors and brown sugariness, along with a bit of malt and a trace of alcohol. The taste didn't quite live up to the smell, with basically the same flavors, just not as strong. I like a bit of warmth and sweetness from the alcohol, but I didn't taste it really at all from this beer. A bit of carbonation and very smooth mouthfeel, with an overall decent drinkability. I would just rather have a beer with more flavor. (671 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a good head that falls into a thin head with a fairly strong lacing. Color is dark to amber when held up to the light. A good, sweet scent that has a slight smokey undertone to it. It also has a nutmeg undertone that's a little more suttle. The mouthfeel is nice and crisp and well carbonated. (299 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Another solid offering by Rochefort. A well aged, and uniquely flavored beer. Looks ideal for a belgian. A dark, burgundy color wit a mild haze and floating yeast. A lightly tanned head that rides to the bottom of the glass with hints of spices sprinkled on top. Smells of matured malts, woodsyness, nuttiness, musky, and a little moldy. Tastes of complex malts, interwoven hops, yeast, bread, almonds, and fruitcake are well melded and difficult to identify individual flavors. Full and rich on the mouth without and overbearing sweetness or becomming chewy. Pronounced alcohol flavor and feel for a mere 7.5%er. This beer is a lot of fun to drink. (649 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner.

tan bubbly head rises quickly then falls quickly. head leaves sheets of lacing on the far side of the glass. medium tan hazy brown. some dark sediment floating around in the glass; i may not have poured carefully enough. i'll let it settle for a minute.

aroma of buttery cookies and brown sugar. lots of bready malts with a hint of caramel. sugary dark fruits become more apparent as i reach the bottom of the glass and the beer warms.

light, smooth mouthfeel with just enough carbonation. very bready with a subtle sweetness, toffee and caramel, and a surprisingly clean, dry finish. it all adds up to a very drinkable rochefort, but i much prefer the 10. (703 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Best by 11 03 09, according to the bottle. Paired with an incredibly delicious Trappist cheese made by Chimay.

Appearance- Pours a rummy caramel into a Chimay chalice at cellar temperature. The head foams to about an inch and a half, then settles to a thin but consistent mat. A spellbinding tornado of effervescence rockets to the surface from the etched Fleur-de-lis in my glass, replenishing the head for the duration. At the ten minute mark, the bubbles are so small they resemble Guiness Draught's famous crown. Interesting, and fun to watch.

Smell- Some phenols and soaked fruits, especially sugary ones like dates and figs, greet the nose with a warm welcome. A trace of leather lingers in the background, encapsulated within the firm malty backbone.

Taste- Well balanced, the fruitiness gives a counterpoint to the malt and leathery notes, while one cannot let go of the images of old books and vintage furniture... the characteristics usually associated with Old Ales, especially from Europe. A terrific finishing bitterness awaits in the end, leaving the entire mouth primed for the next sip.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The prickly, intense, microscopic carbonation caused by the activity inside the glass meets a very smooth, mellow mouthfeel... the result? A beer that wins big as a sipping, savory treat. It's no wonder this is enjoyed in Belgium by its makers, the monks themselves, as "liquid bread".

P.S. The pairing of this beer with Chimay a la Biere, a trappist cheese, proved exceptional. If you can locate this product, it's worth the $17.99/lb price. I found it at Whole Foods.

Prosit! (1,623 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured this beer into a chalice from the 11.2 oz bottle. Its color is a medium brown/amber with very little head that is a light tan. However, it has moderate carbonation. The smell is a very light malty and sweet scent. It has a light and fizzy mouthfeel but not much taste; I have found this true for all three of the Rochefort beers. I keep waiting for the flavor to kick in and it doesn’t. It has all the earmarks of a great beer but just doesn’t deliver on the flavor. My favorite out of the three was the 8, followed by the 10. It’s drinkable, but why when I can find better Trappist beers. (599 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

(Served in a chalice)

A- This beer pours a hazel brown body that is hazy with a very strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. The head is a light tan that fades pretty quickly to a thick rim around the edge. The strong carbonation keeps little "bits" swimming around the beer.

S- The fragerant smell of dark candy sugar, perfume and light molasess make a very pleseant aroma. A faint alcohol hint rounds out the finish.

T- This beer has a nice dry malt flavor with some lightly toasted malts flavors. There is a taste of light molasses and some faint sweetness at the finish. There is also a carbonic bite at the finish that balances the faint sweetness.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with lots of fizz in the mouthfeel. There is no real alcohol warmth.

D- This is a very smooth drinking beer with nice characterisic to the flavor but there didn't seem to be the richness and complexity that I have tasted in other from this style. (950 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Deep ruby/mahagony with a tan frothy head. Smells faintly of leather with candy sweetness and a slight fruit tang. Flavors of light belgian caramel syrupy sweetness leads the way on the tongue with some notes of unmalted grains slightly rotted, and perhaps a hint of chocolate. No real bitterness, but a hint of sourness does finish up the flavor. Forthy light belgian body for a decent, but not my favorite style, belgian ale. Drinkable, but at the price, I won't likely pick it up again. (489 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Cloudy brown, yeast particles, huge off-white head, and not so much lacing as a coating of foam on the glass. I was expecting a more active nose...maybe the nose that lacks is mine...there were no heavy fruits or candi odors, just a clean thick malty smell without much else. But the taste...well, this is smooth malts with the mellow dark fruits and candi finally coming through. Full satisfying mouthfeel. Outstanding drinkability. Nothing prevents you from wanting a few of these. Why is this not available in a 750ml? (521 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer poured an amber/reddish/tan body with a small white head that died quickly.

Nose was a mix of sweet malts, cherry, ripe fruits, some dark malts, yeast and some slight phenols.

Taste was medium bodied and very smooth. Dark malts, almost a rye bread or dark bread sort of quality. Yeast, phenols, dark ripe fruits, raisins, prunes, plums, a strong date sort of fruit flavor.

I was never really crazy about the other rocheforts, but this is actually pretty good. Still very subtle and not my favorite trappist brewery, but not to bad. Almost a session beer sort of trappist, not to huge with a good mix of malts. (630 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

11.2 ounce bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A - Great look, a dark golden bnrown color. The head is a little thinner than I expected but it sustains nicely and laces the glass like crazy. Gorgeous.

S - A lot of fruit up front, possibly some tart apples. Alcohol kick in there and some spiciness. A little bit of a dark fruit (grape/plum) on the nose as well. Well done.

T - A nice malty "Dark bread" taste on the initial sip. A nice nutty flavor with some alchohol on the finish. A nice taste.

M - Feels very nice in the mouth, a bit dry of a finish but the spiciness gives it a good feel.

D - Very good drinkability. The flavors aren't as complex as the 8 or 10 but still very interesting. A nice drinkable beer overall. (747 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly clouded bourbon brown color with vigorous carbonation creating a massive, billowy head that has staying power like Ron Jeremy.

Aromas of plum pudding, stewed raisins, brown sugar, port wine, oaky vanilla, and flowers dance around in my nostrils.

Flavor much the same and more. Sweet plum and chewy raisins soaked in port wine, carmelized creme brule',strawberries, cherries, yeasty spice, and a touch of oaky dryness make this a pure delight. very similar in taste to a dubbel.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy with a not-quite-big body that leaves you wanting to take another sip right away. (606 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

This is a fantastic brew. Pours a very cloudy earth brown colour with plenty of sediment and little bits floating inside it. Offwhite foamy head that doesn't last too long leaves moderate lacing. This is a nice looking brew, to me anyway. The smell is indeed quite sweet and reminds one of caramel and candied fruits. The smell is very pleasant and not at all over powering. A joy. The taste is magnificent. Very easy to drink and full of flavour. No sign of elevated alcohol. Smooth. Plenty of malt. Sweet and toasted sensations wash over your tongue at first. Nice finish with very, very weak and subtle hops trying to show themselves. This is very close to being my perfect brew. Nice low level of carbonation, plenty of flavour, lots of malt, nearly void of hops. It has a great colour and at 7,5%abv it isn't so big you can't handle a couple of them. I have had the others in this run, and I must say that I don't care for No. 10 and actually like No. 6 and No. 8 much better. This is good stuff!! (1,002 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer pours to be a opaque brown color, the color of this reminds me quite alot of caramel. The body of this beer looks quite full/thick. I can see some sediment suspended in the brew closer to bottom of my glass. To begin with it poured with a nice healthy looking head however, it quickly dissipated. When agitated this beer's head reforms to become a film/lacing on the top fo the beer. Overall this looks very appetizing.

The aroma of this beer is also very apetizing. I can't quite put a finger on the specific smell it has but I definitely smell more of a malt quality in this brew. The sweet smell I detect reminds me of apples dipped in caramel sauce. Its oveall aroma remids me of candy, Laffy Taffy perhaps? Overall good aroma but not very potent.

The taste of this beer is also quite good. Its malty aroma is quite evident as it is reflected in the taste. This beer has a complex taste, it is not a balanced beer at all. The malty character of this beer far outweighs the hop character it has. When it first hits the palate I taste a very breif and weak hop character. It quickly fades to the malty character of the beer. I just can't put a finger on what the taste of this beer reminds me of, yet I do enjoy it. I think the closest thing I can describe is a candy like flavor and also the flavor of apples mixed with caramel. Now that I've looked at some other reviews I must say that I can easily taste some vanilla in this beer.

The mouth feel of this beer is pretty good. It is moderately heavy on the palate and high in carbonation. Feels appropriate to the style on the palate. I think that perhaps if the body were a bit fuller or if it were heavier on the palate it would add something to the brew. I would definitely buy this beer again, however if I had a choice between this and Chimay Blue, I'd choose Chimay Blue. It's very good but I think that Chimay beats this one in taste for this style. (1,929 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

11 oz bottle, poured into a Rochefort chalice.

The appearance is certainly above average. A wonderful brown/red beer that has a nice, dense [but small] head.

The taste is one of dark fruits, raisins and figs come to mind. Malty. Very earthy taste.

The mouthfeel is above average carbonation with a cleansing spritz.

Overall, a very nice dark ale. I will definitely have this again. It was fantastic with some smoked gouda I had laying around. Woudl love to try it with BBQ. (487 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

In no way can this beer hang with its brothers. It had been cellared for over a year and not much has happened.

A pale, uninspired brown. Head is wispy and the beers lacing was decent. Slight fragrant fruits, tobacco and spice. The beer did have a little bite towards the end. The last quarter of the bottle was at room temperature, and as advertised- it was the best part.

I guess I am spoiled by huge ABV's. At 7.5 it certainly holds its own, but not the kick I was anticipating. (487 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Rochefort 6 pours from the bottle into my SN tulip a brilliant deep brown with streaks of red that shoot out from the side of the brew. A fast moving bubbly two finger head stakes its claim atop the brew and doesn't let go. Aromas of sweet caramel with vinous notes popping up everywhere. Dark fruits, brown sugar, spicy yeast, a smattering of vanilla atop some lingering woody tannins. A formidable cornucopia of beautiful scents arise from this brew and keep me coming back for more. Quite lovely.

First sip brings a lovely light caramelly molasses maltiness draped in a wonderful vinous, spicy, brown sugary cloak that envelopes every corner of the mouth. Fruity tones dance across the mouth and mix with hints of vanilla, wood and butterscotch. Amazingly free flowing and flavorful...it's hard to even accurately describe the mix of wonderful flavors in this brew. Another Trappist treasure.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a champagne like carbonation that bounces off of every side of the mouth. I'm usually not a fan of high carbonation but it works well with this brew. I would drink this all night if given the chance and I'm glad I have another bottle awaiting me in the cellar. Just noticed the best by date is 21-10-08....which just happens to be my birthday as well. The monks of Abbaye St-Remy deserve high praise for this lovely brew. (1,358 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

330mL bottle

Pours a hazy brown-orange with a creamy off-white head. Nice lacing on the glass. Some sediment, as anticipated.

Smells of malt and yeast with a lot of fruitiness. I get a nice plum aroma if I really take it in.

Lots of malt and yeast upfront, but finishes very light and fruity. Extremely smooth and complex. I can taste that plum that I smelled earlier. Quite delicious.

If I told you that this beer has a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? Just makes my mouth happy....

I am sad and ashamed that this is my only sample. I will buy this one again, even at the premium price... (617 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Not quite a filling and powerful as it's big brother Rochefort 8. Poured out to a dark gold / brown color that had a hint of reddness when held to the light. Nice white foamy head was about 3/4 of an inch and maintained itself well. Good notes of lacing in the glass. Aromas of malt and grain were weak but still observable. Not bad. Taste is good; flavors of malt, yeast and grain are noted, along with some dark fruits toward the finish. Nice mouthfeel was filling and accented well by the crisp carbonation. Good drinkability. A solid beer and a good place to start when getting aquainted with Dark Belgian Ales. Recommended. (628 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Drink before 18.08.09 -- 33 cl. bottle picked up last week

Appearance: This lacing is truly indomitable. The bubbles and orange / red color are beautiful eye candy. And the head, though still sticking around, is a bit smaller than I would've liked. But this lacing is a work of art.

Smell: Beautifully complex dark fruit and malt is up front (as I expected), and it's incredible. Also getting a bit of ripe strawberry... Some phenols are there, along with some yeast, slight nuts, and maybe raisins. I was hoping I'd get more, but for what it is it's amazing in what's present and gorgeously rendered.

Taste: Once again, the dark fruit and mild malt flavors are coming through with flying colors. Possibly some darkness as far as raisins or chocolate. Tropical fruit comes through as it warms. Not as complex as the 8 or 10, but this is still right up there. Slow it down. Oh, and the aftertaste, of course, is also pretty heavenly.

Mouthfeel: I love the initial carbonation not seeming to be much, but then at the swallow there's a surprising and pretty fantastically balanced shot of it. It's creamy, balanced, and goddamn it's near perfect, but not quite there.

Drinkability: Because of the alcohol being only 7.5% (did I just say only 7.5%), this is something that can be tasted for a long and ethereal time. Any variety shouldn't be consumed at a pace more than one a day, anyway, in my opinion.

It's the cheapest one in price of all the Rochefort varieties, but you should still try. I was a little hesitant at first (because of the 8 and 10), and then decided to go for it. Soon enough I'll review the 10, as I've had it but it was at the Brickskeller and I wasn't taking notes. Rochefort can do nothing but right as far as I'm concerned. (1,768 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Deeply cloudy, almost muddy red-brown, with a frothy light beige head. Nice. The colour is very flat, it's so hazy with yeast.

Warm alcohol, almost vinous; spicy, almost like an herbal tea; intense dark sweet fruits; a hint of candied sugar. Very interesting.

Mmm...dark fruit bursting with sweetness. Again, very spicy; herbal hops. The alcohol is present in the flavour, but not overwhelming nor out of place. The finish is very warm and the heat is long-lasting. It seems like there could be just a touch of chocolate as well, as the beer warms...it could be that my senses are deceiving me, though.

Very pleasant. Active enough carbonation to keep it from being heavy. Nice.

Very, very good. Definitely a beer to try. (733 characters)

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort