Trappistes Rochefort 6 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 6Trappistes Rochefort 6

Brasserie de Rochefort

Dubbel |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 6 Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,165 | Reviews: 944
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

This beer poured an amber/reddish/tan body with a small white head that died quickly.

Nose was a mix of sweet malts, cherry, ripe fruits, some dark malts, yeast and some slight phenols.

Taste was medium bodied and very smooth. Dark malts, almost a rye bread or dark bread sort of quality. Yeast, phenols, dark ripe fruits, raisins, prunes, plums, a strong date sort of fruit flavor.

I was never really crazy about the other rocheforts, but this is actually pretty good. Still very subtle and not my favorite trappist brewery, but not to bad. Almost a session beer sort of trappist, not to huge with a good mix of malts.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

11.2 ounce bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A - Great look, a dark golden bnrown color. The head is a little thinner than I expected but it sustains nicely and laces the glass like crazy. Gorgeous.

S - A lot of fruit up front, possibly some tart apples. Alcohol kick in there and some spiciness. A little bit of a dark fruit (grape/plum) on the nose as well. Well done.

T - A nice malty "Dark bread" taste on the initial sip. A nice nutty flavor with some alchohol on the finish. A nice taste.

M - Feels very nice in the mouth, a bit dry of a finish but the spiciness gives it a good feel.

D - Very good drinkability. The flavors aren't as complex as the 8 or 10 but still very interesting. A nice drinkable beer overall.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Slightly clouded bourbon brown color with vigorous carbonation creating a massive, billowy head that has staying power like Ron Jeremy.

Aromas of plum pudding, stewed raisins, brown sugar, port wine, oaky vanilla, and flowers dance around in my nostrils.

Flavor much the same and more. Sweet plum and chewy raisins soaked in port wine, carmelized creme brule',strawberries, cherries, yeasty spice, and a touch of oaky dryness make this a pure delight. very similar in taste to a dubbel.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy with a not-quite-big body that leaves you wanting to take another sip right away.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

This is a fantastic brew. Pours a very cloudy earth brown colour with plenty of sediment and little bits floating inside it. Offwhite foamy head that doesn't last too long leaves moderate lacing. This is a nice looking brew, to me anyway. The smell is indeed quite sweet and reminds one of caramel and candied fruits. The smell is very pleasant and not at all over powering. A joy. The taste is magnificent. Very easy to drink and full of flavour. No sign of elevated alcohol. Smooth. Plenty of malt. Sweet and toasted sensations wash over your tongue at first. Nice finish with very, very weak and subtle hops trying to show themselves. This is very close to being my perfect brew. Nice low level of carbonation, plenty of flavour, lots of malt, nearly void of hops. It has a great colour and at 7,5%abv it isn't so big you can't handle a couple of them. I have had the others in this run, and I must say that I don't care for No. 10 and actually like No. 6 and No. 8 much better. This is good stuff!!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer pours to be a opaque brown color, the color of this reminds me quite alot of caramel. The body of this beer looks quite full/thick. I can see some sediment suspended in the brew closer to bottom of my glass. To begin with it poured with a nice healthy looking head however, it quickly dissipated. When agitated this beer's head reforms to become a film/lacing on the top fo the beer. Overall this looks very appetizing.

The aroma of this beer is also very apetizing. I can't quite put a finger on the specific smell it has but I definitely smell more of a malt quality in this brew. The sweet smell I detect reminds me of apples dipped in caramel sauce. Its oveall aroma remids me of candy, Laffy Taffy perhaps? Overall good aroma but not very potent.

The taste of this beer is also quite good. Its malty aroma is quite evident as it is reflected in the taste. This beer has a complex taste, it is not a balanced beer at all. The malty character of this beer far outweighs the hop character it has. When it first hits the palate I taste a very breif and weak hop character. It quickly fades to the malty character of the beer. I just can't put a finger on what the taste of this beer reminds me of, yet I do enjoy it. I think the closest thing I can describe is a candy like flavor and also the flavor of apples mixed with caramel. Now that I've looked at some other reviews I must say that I can easily taste some vanilla in this beer.

The mouth feel of this beer is pretty good. It is moderately heavy on the palate and high in carbonation. Feels appropriate to the style on the palate. I think that perhaps if the body were a bit fuller or if it were heavier on the palate it would add something to the brew. I would definitely buy this beer again, however if I had a choice between this and Chimay Blue, I'd choose Chimay Blue. It's very good but I think that Chimay beats this one in taste for this style.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

11 oz bottle, poured into a Rochefort chalice.

The appearance is certainly above average. A wonderful brown/red beer that has a nice, dense [but small] head.

The taste is one of dark fruits, raisins and figs come to mind. Malty. Very earthy taste.

The mouthfeel is above average carbonation with a cleansing spritz.

Overall, a very nice dark ale. I will definitely have this again. It was fantastic with some smoked gouda I had laying around. Woudl love to try it with BBQ.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

In no way can this beer hang with its brothers. It had been cellared for over a year and not much has happened.

A pale, uninspired brown. Head is wispy and the beers lacing was decent. Slight fragrant fruits, tobacco and spice. The beer did have a little bite towards the end. The last quarter of the bottle was at room temperature, and as advertised- it was the best part.

I guess I am spoiled by huge ABV's. At 7.5 it certainly holds its own, but not the kick I was anticipating.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Rochefort 6 pours from the bottle into my SN tulip a brilliant deep brown with streaks of red that shoot out from the side of the brew. A fast moving bubbly two finger head stakes its claim atop the brew and doesn't let go. Aromas of sweet caramel with vinous notes popping up everywhere. Dark fruits, brown sugar, spicy yeast, a smattering of vanilla atop some lingering woody tannins. A formidable cornucopia of beautiful scents arise from this brew and keep me coming back for more. Quite lovely.

First sip brings a lovely light caramelly molasses maltiness draped in a wonderful vinous, spicy, brown sugary cloak that envelopes every corner of the mouth. Fruity tones dance across the mouth and mix with hints of vanilla, wood and butterscotch. Amazingly free flowing and flavorful...it's hard to even accurately describe the mix of wonderful flavors in this brew. Another Trappist treasure.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a champagne like carbonation that bounces off of every side of the mouth. I'm usually not a fan of high carbonation but it works well with this brew. I would drink this all night if given the chance and I'm glad I have another bottle awaiting me in the cellar. Just noticed the best by date is 21-10-08....which just happens to be my birthday as well. The monks of Abbaye St-Remy deserve high praise for this lovely brew.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

330mL bottle

Pours a hazy brown-orange with a creamy off-white head. Nice lacing on the glass. Some sediment, as anticipated.

Smells of malt and yeast with a lot of fruitiness. I get a nice plum aroma if I really take it in.

Lots of malt and yeast upfront, but finishes very light and fruity. Extremely smooth and complex. I can taste that plum that I smelled earlier. Quite delicious.

If I told you that this beer has a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? Just makes my mouth happy....

I am sad and ashamed that this is my only sample. I will buy this one again, even at the premium price...

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Not quite a filling and powerful as it's big brother Rochefort 8. Poured out to a dark gold / brown color that had a hint of reddness when held to the light. Nice white foamy head was about 3/4 of an inch and maintained itself well. Good notes of lacing in the glass. Aromas of malt and grain were weak but still observable. Not bad. Taste is good; flavors of malt, yeast and grain are noted, along with some dark fruits toward the finish. Nice mouthfeel was filling and accented well by the crisp carbonation. Good drinkability. A solid beer and a good place to start when getting aquainted with Dark Belgian Ales. Recommended.

Drink before 18.08.09 -- 33 cl. bottle picked up last week

Appearance: This lacing is truly indomitable. The bubbles and orange / red color are beautiful eye candy. And the head, though still sticking around, is a bit smaller than I would've liked. But this lacing is a work of art.

Smell: Beautifully complex dark fruit and malt is up front (as I expected), and it's incredible. Also getting a bit of ripe strawberry... Some phenols are there, along with some yeast, slight nuts, and maybe raisins. I was hoping I'd get more, but for what it is it's amazing in what's present and gorgeously rendered.

Taste: Once again, the dark fruit and mild malt flavors are coming through with flying colors. Possibly some darkness as far as raisins or chocolate. Tropical fruit comes through as it warms. Not as complex as the 8 or 10, but this is still right up there. Slow it down. Oh, and the aftertaste, of course, is also pretty heavenly.

Mouthfeel: I love the initial carbonation not seeming to be much, but then at the swallow there's a surprising and pretty fantastically balanced shot of it. It's creamy, balanced, and goddamn it's near perfect, but not quite there.

Drinkability: Because of the alcohol being only 7.5% (did I just say only 7.5%), this is something that can be tasted for a long and ethereal time. Any variety shouldn't be consumed at a pace more than one a day, anyway, in my opinion.

It's the cheapest one in price of all the Rochefort varieties, but you should still try. I was a little hesitant at first (because of the 8 and 10), and then decided to go for it. Soon enough I'll review the 10, as I've had it but it was at the Brickskeller and I wasn't taking notes. Rochefort can do nothing but right as far as I'm concerned.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Deeply cloudy, almost muddy red-brown, with a frothy light beige head. Nice. The colour is very flat, it's so hazy with yeast.

Warm alcohol, almost vinous; spicy, almost like an herbal tea; intense dark sweet fruits; a hint of candied sugar. Very interesting.

Mmm...dark fruit bursting with sweetness. Again, very spicy; herbal hops. The alcohol is present in the flavour, but not overwhelming nor out of place. The finish is very warm and the heat is long-lasting. It seems like there could be just a touch of chocolate as well, as the beer warms...it could be that my senses are deceiving me, though.

Very pleasant. Active enough carbonation to keep it from being heavy. Nice.

Very, very good. Definitely a beer to try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer pours a brown with a reddish tint. The head is light brown and slowly fizzles out to a thin cover over the glass and leaves some good lacing.

The aroma is of raisins and molasses, semi-sweet.

The flavor is also of raisins and molasses with some mild chocolate notes. There is a nice alcohol presence as well. Very enjoyable.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer and I highly recommend it. I like this one a little better than the 8. I am going to try the 10 next.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

from arrowine

raisin aroma out of the bottle, and nutty molasses joins it. not very airy, as the 8 is (from higher carbonation), but full of complexity
tight-knit creamy head that doesn't quit, over a deep (but perfectly clear) garnet

there is a raisin flavor as well...it is balanced well with a great chewy nuttiness (though without the texture being chewy, dig?). so complex, delicious i could drink it all night

the 6 and the 8 are clearly two children of the same parents: similar flavors and aromas, though in varying characters

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Dated 18/08/09, this one is about 1 year old. (Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle).

Ruby-brown appearance. Only a little off-white head, but it produced some lacing.

Some dark sugar, treacle-like odour with port-like undertones.

Initial taste is overwhelming, though the sweetness is very well balanced. Treacle and caramel with hint of chocolate, balanced with hop and malt bitterness, without any roasted/burnt flavour. The taste subsides into raisin and plum flavours, leaving a sweeter aftertaste. Amazingly, there isn't a distinct alcohol flavour, it's masked by so much more! I hesitate from giving it a 5, but it's more like a 4.75.

Mouthfeel is light-to-moderate.

Drinkability is dangerous.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Finally reviewed. Pours a very cloudy dark brown, with an orange hue on the edges, big head forms but goes fast however leaves a generous thick layer of head that stays until the end of the glass, impressive lacing as well. Smell is fruity, strawberries and cherries, dark chocolate, some spices like cloves in the finish. The taste is dark fruits, smooth dark chocolate, some alcohol, spice, myriad of flavours. Very smooth, warming, medium carbonation and a clean bitter finish. Amazing beer, like all Rocheforts.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

08/11/05- Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle with a best before 2009 date. Poured into my Duvel tulip. Man, I really need a Rochefort chalice.

Appearance- If you were to melt down milk chocolate, this it the color your would get. Light brown and cloudy looking with bits of yeast cemented to the bottom of the glass. Lacing was a little better than average.

Smell- Not a huge smell as I would have expected from a Dark Strong Ale. But, you can detect some chocolate and some dark fruit scents.

Taste- Lots of malt for sure. Toasty and roasty flavor. Kinda like a brown sugar flavor. Maybe carob flavor. Not really raisins, but maybe plums and prunes. The flavors would really come out more probably if I held on to it another two years or so.

Mouthfeel- At first it was a bit overcarbonated. As it cooled it became very creamy and svelt. Coated your mouth with a skim chocolate milk-like quality.

Drinkability- My first sampling of a Rochefort brew and so far I am impressed. Wish I has another I could age for a year or two and compare. Otherwise I would definitely recommend this brew even as is.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a murky brown color with a huge fluffy white head. The aroma is fruity and nutty. Very pleasant. The taste is strong at first but seems to fade. Very strange, but not bad though. Fruity and nutty with some nice alcohol peaking through. The mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall, this is an alright brew.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled, served in Cafe Gollem

Pours with a dark brown, not as dark as the 10 of course, like a maroon rather than a darker shade. Tan head, fluffy with good retention

Smell, brown bread, toast, little bit of burnt sugar, caramel, some faint dried fruit

Taste, again thick and bready. Some dried fruit again, toffee, gainy malt on the finish

A great dark ale, like the session version of their 10, not as flavourful but great none the less

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Deep, reddish auburn colour with a light haze. Rocky tan head with good retention and lacing. Plenty of aroma, dark fruits, dates, prunes, sugar, and light alcohol. Some caramel as it warms. Malty sweetness to start, followed by ripe fruitiness and alcohol flavour/warmth at the very end. Also a little vinous and peppery. The body is on the lighter side, not bad at all, high carbonation gives it an airy texture and produces constant bubbling for quite some time. My first from Rochefort and it certainly won't be my last!

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Reviewed this about a month ago, but I got this bottle from babydoc (ala BIF20) and am thus obligated to review it. Thanks for the second chance! Bottle date says 04 02 08. Pours a thin lyaer of light brown head over a very cloudy, well, actually it's a muddy brown liquid. Sediment was retained in the bottle. Smells of chocolate, belgian candy sugar, anise, and a very gentle alcohol sting. Tastes take a moment ot settle in. Alcohol is a base from start to finish which other flavors play on. Weak chocolate, some toffee/caramelly, raisins, and a hint of funk. The aftertaste is a persistent chocolate with a tinge of cherry sour that makes me enjoy pondering each sip. Medium body and moderately (but sharply) carbonated.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - Big fluffy head and spectacular lacing.

Aroma - There is a very nice fruity aroma and just a touch of alcohol.

Taste - Tart taste of not yet ripe fruit up front followed by fully fermented vinous fruits, impeccably clean finish.

Mouthfeel - For this style and character of beer this mouthfeel is simply perfect.

Drinkability - Awesome beer, however... I think it is too good to drink too much of (if that makes any sense).

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

I am sampling a 33 cl bottle courtesy of feloniousmonk and BIF 20.
Room temp and in a snifter. Open cap and its a gusher!!! some spillage but quickly get the bottle to the glass.
The beer pours a dark burnt siena color with some yeasty sediment floating about. There is a soft fluffy off white head that rests on top of the liquid effortlessly.
Aroma is some biscuity yeast, dark fruits, plums and berries, also caramel and toffee. The aroma is generally sweet and inviting.
First sip reveals an average body, lighter than expected, and very fine gentle carbonation. Flavor is lighter than expected as well, with some caramel and toffee mixing with lite berry flavors and a bit of spiciness. Again fairly sweet overall.
A well made beer that is very easy to drink and the 7.5% abv is incredibly hidden. A good belgian for sure.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

This was a clear, dark amber beer, with a five finger head that was very fizzy.

Aroma was of fruity malt, and a little spicy. Molasses and hints of brown sugar were evident.

Taste was of sweet brown sugary malt and dates. Other fruity notes were present.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin and fizzy. Not as good as the 8, and I have not yet had the 10.

It's not my favorite style, but based on others I have had, it was better than average. But it didn't knock my socks off.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

330 ml bottle, at the 32nd Cambridge Beer Festival. Served directly from the fridge. Had to wait half an hour before I could drink it. Strange thing with British pubs and beer festivals - they’re very conscious that their native cask ales should be served at cellar temperatures, but foreign bottled beers are served ice cold, no matter what! Barnyard aroma with notes of dried fruits and oak, improves as the beer warms up. Flavour has much of the same elements as Rochefort 8 and 10, just on a more moderate scale. Dried fruits, brown sugar, tobacco, oak.

Trappistes Rochefort 6 from Brasserie de Rochefort