Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

to view more.
Ratings: 8,088 | Reviews: 2,668
4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Dark caramel brown color, with a creamy, frothy head. The colors play off each other beautifully.

Smell: Not a very strong smell in my opinion. Smells slightly malty and boozy but thats about all I get.

Taste: Caramel and dark fruit (plus banana) creates a very nice taste. Everything is present in perfect balance. the booze present in the most leaves you with a biting aftertaste, but nothing overpowering. This is a well balanced quad, although it is sweeter than most. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Feel: Refreshing yet flavorfull.

Overall: My favorite of the rochefort trio.

how could i rate the standard any lower?

3.9/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Look: Ridiculous amounts of foam pouring slowly from a 330ml bottle into a Belgian styled glass. This massive froth is a nice off-white / khaki color. The beer itself is a deep amber/brown (more on the brown side) and only lets a few rays of light through. The head slowly recedes and you are left with a major ring around the edges with some continuous lacing.

Smell: Slight tart and vinegary at first, but then strong caramel notes kick in. There are minor alcohol notes evident but not that noticeable for an 11.3%’er.

Feel: Full bodied thick and caramely. The alcohol instantly bites the tongue and there seems to be a battle between dry and sweetness.

Taste: The first flavors are of tart purple fruit (plum, grape, etc.), and then the alcohol bite quickly comes in to play. There is a slight alcohol burn like doing a shot of 100 proof rum. There are strong caramel flavors, roasted nuts, and smoked grains. The strong alcohol taste fades briefly, but seems to kick back in at the end.

Overall: This is a great beer, but I don’t agree that it is a 5/5 or 100 on score… I had hoped for a bit more as I have heard a lot of hype. There are many flavors that meld together nicely, but I believe that they are slightly devalued by the strong alcohol notes. It just seems a bit off balanced. I think this one would be better at a lower ABV (possibly less demerara/raw sugar as most Belgian Quads have as an ingredient). Not my favorite brew, but I wouldn’t be afraid to give it another try in the future.

This beer is incredible. Plum, raisin, caramel and yeasty smell. Super fruity upfront and still has the champagne feel. Very light on the tongue and the aftertaste is fig, raisin, and toffee. Absolutely amazing beer.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It is very figgy and pruney. Unique beer for sure. Can taste a bit of alcohol but not overwhelming. Great beer

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

this is one of my favorite beers iv had. i have heard of people having a miss or hit experience with this brew but for me it was a hit. i picked it up at the store for about 6.12 in georgia after tax. i brought it home and first thing i put it in the fridge and let it sit there until it got to about 42 degree's. with Belgium trappist brews you gotta put it in a goblet. reason being is for the smell make sure you got a nice thick goblet doesnt have to be fancy but i got a nice thick goblet that way im not scared the glass will break every time i place it down. as to the beer it self.it has a very sweet smell very nutty overtones to it. it just smells like a perfect beer. and the smells carry very nicely to the flavor. the beer it self has a nice dark cloudy look. i heard one reviewer said it almost looked like muddy water. i see where he came from but i say who cares you dont buy a beer to look at it. you buy it to drink it. and the flavor is like nothing iv had before. i havent had the westvleteren yet iv heard it better others say this is better. but as for this beer its the best iv had so far. if you can get it and afford it, your an idiot if you dont get it. go support those Belgium monks and get this beer

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

When you imagine the taste of the perfect beer, you're imagining Rochefort 10.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful. First experience on a Trappist, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was REALLY hard to open. I had to use two different bottle openers and finally got it open after making a mess on my counter. Pouring it made a lot of foam which just didn't go away. The foam tasted like someone poured sugar into a litter box. I never got to the beer because the foam was just horrible! I'm not even being dramatic, this beer was a waste of 10 perfectly good minutes.

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Very deep brown. NOT black. 1.5 finger creamy head that dissipates quickly. I was surprised at how big the head was for such a high ABV beer.
Smell: Candied sugar dominates the smell. There is also strong prunes and figs.
Taste: This beer is brilliant. Theres no other way to put it. As soon as it hits your tongue you get a smoky deep tobacco taste that instantaneously transitions into sweet candied fruits. There is a slight alcohol taste that you forget about after a few sips.
Feel: Medium mouthfeel. Viscous yet not syrupy like I would have expected.
Overall: My expectations were far surpassed. I had mixed feeling going in on whether or not I was going to truly enjoy this beer. Most Quads I have had in the past have turned me off to the style. In drinking this I have new hope; After my last sip was gone I instantly knew I needed to buy another!

This is my desert island beer. If I had to choose one beer above all the others, it would be Trappist Rochefort 10. (TR 8 comes in a close 2nd.)

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Top Tier Trappist. I usually have it with an equally interesting piece of meat.

(2012) Black pour with off white head; figs, tobacco and prune notes. Tobacco figs dirt stone fruit and prune flavors. More earthy semi sweet fruit as it warms. Medium body and viscous tongue. Complex and delicious and only gets better with age.

3.88/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is a big damned beer! Really nice, classic dark fruits and raisins in the nose; deep, rich flavors follow on the palate, with big boozy presence. Finished a bit on the drier side. Not sure that I am on the 'best Belgian on the list' bandwagon, but this is obviously top shelf and enjoyable. Splitting one with a buddy was more than enough for me!

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Not quite as good as the La Trappe quad. Similar though

3.8/5  rDev -15.7%

I mean, it's good. But it isn't THAT good. Like $8 for a 12oz bottle? Bzzzzt. No.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

This is truly a very beatiful beer!

It pours dark red-brown, almoust black with a one finger high, beige head that dissapears fast with a wizzing noice.

Nose: Vanilla, whiped cream, raisin, plum, milk chocolate, brown sugar and dark syrup.
Taste: Dried fruit, brown sugar, dark bread, a hint of coffee, licorice and vanilla.
Body: Medium body with a complex texture. High carbonation. A little warming booze from the 11.3% ABV. So great beer!

Absolutely top!

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Dark dried fruits all around. Served straight out the fridge and the carbonation took away from the taste. Opened up as it warmed. Lots of raisin, fig, prune in this one

1.84/5  rDev -59.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I never understood the Reinheitsgebot until I drank this beer, now it makes perfect sense; This isn't beer!! don't waste your money

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

330 ml bottle poured into a Belgian tulip

A: Dark brown, with an off white creamy head, lots of tiny bubbles in the head, some carbonation streaming off the bottom, some minor lacing.

A: Dark fruits, raisins, figs, yeasty aromas, it's a big Belgian yeast bomb, slight alcohol on the nose, malts definitely come through, smells really big.

T: Toffee sweetness, dark fruits, Belgian yeast, malts, nice slight caramel sweetness on the back end, very complex, some heat, but for 11.3% very drinkable, world class flavor.

M: Nice medium mouthfeel with a dry finish.

O: Very impressed, very complex, changes as it warms, very drinkable. I avoided imports especially Belgian beers because I think there are great beers made in America, but, there is something special about Belgian beers, and in my humility, I must admit that this is a world class beer, a must try if you want to taste something outside your comfort zone.

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Feel I may have had a bad one...need to try again, flavor was off not quad like, old maybe?

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

There is so much flavor in this beer it is ridiculous! This is easily one of the best tasting beers I have ever had!

this is my favorite quad so far...

3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Take it with a grain of salt but it's too sweet, boozy with a touch of licorice. Not a fan of many quads and I relaize this is at the top of its class so me not liking the style isn't a knock on an outstanding beer.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Color is dark brown, with a beige head. The aromas of caramel and malt are dominant. Dark chocolate, plums and raisins can be distinguished in the taste, combined with a tender vinous touch. Although the beer has an ABV of 11,3%, it is very smooth to drink. Top class beer. Best beer I ever drank.

to view more.