Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,678 | Hads: 8,381

Almost anything you drink after a bottle of this , is probably going to disappoint . The masses will probably never have even heard of Rochefort 10 , let alone drink one ...tragic (for them), it is total joy , faultless .
Has a 100% rating ? , well its fully deserved

Many people will tell you that Westvleteren XII and St Bernardus Abt 12 are the best. I beg to differ. I would rate Rochefort 10 higher. The only beer like as much as this one is Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel.

This beer is incredible. Plum, raisin, caramel and yeasty smell. Super fruity upfront and still has the champagne feel. Very light on the tongue and the aftertaste is fig, raisin, and toffee. Absolutely amazing beer.

My favorite beer on Earth for over 15 years and counting. Will leave a proper review some time, but for now just understand this may be the most complex and delicious beer you may ever get a chance to drink, and the only beer I have ever had that earns a perfect 5/5 BA score.

(2012) Black pour with off white head; figs, tobacco and prune notes. Tobacco figs dirt stone fruit and prune flavors. More earthy semi sweet fruit as it warms. Medium body and viscous tongue. Complex and delicious and only gets better with age.

Best beer I've had so far. Poured into a Belgian Goblet, about 3in of head from pour, 2in staying after first sip. Smells caramelly sweet, tastes a strong burning alcohol, with a sweetness of dates upfront, and a caramelly finish. Sooo strong and complex yet soooo smooth and tasty. Just absolutely everything you could want.

The legend is true. This is THE BEST BEER I've ever had. I was expecting to be underwhelmed. It took effort to find. It was all worth it. Can Westvleteren possibly be even as good as this?

One of my favorite beer... Probably the best high alcohol beers of the world.
Complex, full body. Aroma is a little bit malt and alcohol. Taste is balanced sweet, fruity and woody notes.

Color: Dark Amber, almost a brown in color. Lots of Carbonation
Taste: Black Cherry, Dark Fruits. The carbonation really opens your palate to these tastes. Very Strong complex flavors with a sweet malt backbone.
Smell: Black Cherry, raisin, a hint of pomegranate
Overall: This is the best quad I've ever had, maybe the best beer I've ever had. Drinking this was almost a sad experience, since I knew I would finish the glass soon enough and not be able to drink more. 5/5

This is undoubtedly the finest beer I have ever enjoyed. Poured from 11.2-ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Deep, rich brown, voluminous white foam cap. Sweet malts, dark caramel, molasses, figs, so incredibly complex and not overly alcoholic. A world-class quad, deserving of its reputation.

ever since reading about Trappist beers, I've always wanted to get my hands on one. being that I come from a long line of priests and a bishop, it made the style even more intriguing. I figured I would never find one, at least in my area. well, I took a trip to ocean city, MD and made a stop at Anthony's with the intent on finding a bottle of something new. sitting on the top self was a bottle of the Trappist beer 2nd on my list, don't think I will ever see a westvletern XII. I couldn't wait to get home and try it! I poured it into a silver goblet used by my grandfather (who was a bishop). all I can say about this beer is it is truly amazing....everything about it! definitely at the top of my list. there's beers out there on my favorites that are based a lot off of my personal drinking experience. For instance, erdinger because of the one I had in a small bar in Munich that opened my mind to German beers and even rolling rock (yeah, its a favorite) because it reminds me of my grandfather. however, this beer is my number one solely on taste, can't imagine there's a better beer out there.

Pours very dark with a bit of head. Surprisingly not heavy. Has distinct carbonation. Taste has a lot of malt but it doesn't overpower the other notes. Very flavorful for 11.3% abv. Terrific beer. Very drinkable.

$3.65 bottle from the LCBO.

A - Ruby/Brown colour with nice two finger head of small bubbles.

S - Dates, caramel, port.

T - Caramel, molasses, Belgian yeast, dark fruit, and some sweetness. Very complex and absolutely delicious. For such a high alcohol content this beer does not taste 'boozy' at all. Incredible.

M - Rich and luxurious with great carbonation. Outstanding.

O - This is definitely one of my favourite beers of all-time. I love quads and this is one of, if not the best.

I have nothing more to add. This is an awesome beer. I can't believe I've waited this long to taste it. Not your typical Belgian Ale - better. And that is saying a lot.

A: Dark brown with a slightly lighter brown yeast sediment at the bottom of the glass. Looks thick, hearty and inviting. Nice beige head that sticks around.

S: Raisins, figs, chocolate, and a nearly infinite deepness of rich Belgian-style ale.

T: All of the above elements, with a lifting taste of alcohol that adds both a bitterness and a sweetness that sticks to you in a delightful way. Elements of a finer wine or a port in the bite, but with the same multi-layered complexity of other Belgian ales that introduces its merits in stages. Overall, fantastic. A real treat, and likely the best beer I've had so far (no small feat!). It felt like a gift to drink.

M: Thick and engaging. The alcohol tastes warmed while its smoothness enriched. Amazing.

O: This would be a great after dinner drink, but it could fit anywhere, really. Delicious and satisfying, and very drinkable for the ABV. I'd reccomend this to anybody who loved beer. I'll definitely be buying more. A+

This is one amazing beer. Unbelievably good. All the complex character of the best quads, this is a prize specimen of the Quadruple Ale family. I just can't hold back a perfect score, because this is one of the few whose flaws I just cannot find.

It's got your belgian-quad banana flambé right at the intro, in the nose and on the tongue. And so smooth for this big a beer.

Too easy to drink fast when it's right out of the fridge, this is a beer to savor. Let it warm up so the transcendent experience lingers as long as possible. As with all perfect score beers, this one just gets better as it approaches room temperature.

Shame I've only found it in these little 0.33L bottles. I would hoard magnums of this baby if they sold them. This is Bond Villain quality beer, if you serve this to someone who is a true beer lover, you will gain major beer cred.

Acredito que ela seja uma das grandes representantes do gênero trapista. Realmente incrível.
Não vejo defeitos nela quando está em suas condições perfeitas.
Uma experiência incrível e inesquecível.
Minha cerveja favorita e uma das grandes representantes belgas no mundo das cervejas.

Had bottled in a goblet glass. It pours as a very dark color with a tan head that dissipates slowly. The nose is very strong with aromas, with hints of sweetness, alcohol, yeast and some dried fruit. The taste is dried fruits, prunes, figs, plums and a sweet alcohol taste. It is a little lighter then I was hoping. I love this beer. I have to say this is a definite go to now. If you are looking to try something new that is strong, flavorful, aromatic and an overall great beer. Then this is the beer to try

The only thing I can think of that might be wrong with this beer is that the bottle is too small!

The first thing that hit me was a toasty coffee flavor. Then the smooth, soothing, and subtle lusciousness of chocolate and fig slowly and lovingly caressed my palate. I hope I made it sound as seductive as I felt when I tasted it, because this is a beer worth every penny and I thank my lucky stars that there is another bottle chilling right now. Be selfish with this one, my friends and enjoy one of the best beers that has ever crossed my lips.

I always see this at the top of the ratings but just now have gotten around to trying it.

A - Deep brown color that is almost ruby in the light. Rocky nice tan head. Lots of yeast sediment at the bottom and tried to keep most of it in the bottle and keep the beer clear.

S - Lots of aromas bubbling off of this one. It has plenty of the typical Belgian yeast spice character but with a distinct caramel, molasses, and malt sweetness that I have never truly gotten from a Belgian dark ale before. There is also a complex fruit character like dark cherries and currant.

T - Very similar to the smell having the Belgian character with lots of malty goodness sitting on a bed of the caramelized sugars. Has a lot of sweetness but the flavorful spice character helps and It's a complex beer that gets even more complex the more your tongue gets used to the Belgian flavors and it warms pulling you more in to the depths of this Belgian strong ale. Again the sweet sugars have this complementary black cherry flavor that is really top notch.

M - Full to moderate mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation making the flavors pop instead of just stick there. I really enjoy the complexity with the great drinkability that isn't too common of Quads.

Overall, a tremendous beer that has such flavor and complexity. I would strongly recommend trying this one since it is usually pretty easy to find and has so much to offer. Give this beer a try and I'm sure that you will taste an adventure that you won't easily forget.

Glass- Goblet

A: Thin head, maybe half a finger, that quickly disappears. Cloudy, dark brown, some visible carbonation, but mostly obscured by the cloudiness.

S: Rick chocolate, malt, and dark fruit, in that order. A little cream, too. Like Bailey's.

T: Rich, bold, creamy. Chocolate and the cream comes out first, some oakyness next, then malt and dark fruit linger. Flavor never fades. Very rich, but not in a sickly sweet way. Very easy to forget the ABV is 11.3%. I want to make beer syrup out of this and out it on everything. After a few more sips, I think I'm getting a little hint of orange, just slightly at the end. Might be crazy.

M: Smooth, a little silky, but less so than the 8. Lighter on the carbonation, too. Light for a Trappist, but not light overall.

O: This is my favorite beer. Drink it any and every chance you get. Incredible in every aspect.

This is my desert island beer. Smooth, dark,and creamy, beautiful sweet/fruity aroma, complex flavor of sweet fruits and a touch of chocolate with the distinctive yet not overwhelming Belgian yeast character; a little warming booze in the finish. This one's perfect in my book.

I poured it in my La Trappe goblet that is pretty much similar to the Rochefort goblet.

A:It pours a dark brown caramel body with a red shimmer, a thick head in light brown cream colour. Lots of yeast on the bottles bottom.

S:Begins with a strong wine smell, notes of ripe banana and caramel with a woody Cognac feel in the end.

T: As with other Trappists, Rochefort hides well its alcohol, but it can be felt because it bitterness and warmth. The complexity again remember other trappists with a complex mix of fruits, predominant ripe banana, coffee, caramel, hops and a woody wine flavor, some toasted malts can be felt too.

M: Medium body with sweetness and fruit notes that contrast with the hops leaving a flavour not too bitter, but not too light as well, warm in the palate and low carbonation makes a smooth sensation. In the end a woody dry fell remember me some porto wine.

O: I cannot say I was surprise, because I aways expect the best of Trappists ales, but anyway this beer is another example of how good a beer could be, when done with carefully and attention. Rochefort 10 deserves its nickname "La Merveilleuse". (The Marvellous)
This beer have a complexity that is hard to be found in another beer and can be put right on the side of Westvleteren XII, Now I can say for sure that it is my favorite beer!

Full review, second had.

Served in a chalice from the bottle.

A: a beautiful dark brown with slight ruby hinted in the light. A nice one finger head gives way to a small and tight froth.

S: fruity and sweet. The plums and dark fruits come forth as do a bit of yeast that makes this complete.

T: the Belgian yeast comes through along with the fruityness and some nice dark raisins or molasses.

M: full carbonation fairly smooth and the booziness is mild.

O: this is a fantastic example of a Trappist quad. I've had several of the type, including Westy 12, and I have to say this is my favorite. It is just a complete beer...pure and joyful. I just wish it was a little easier to get where I am.

Best you'll taste. No skunky smell, no bitter taste, full bodied, no bad aftertaste, nearly sweet hopsy swish. Any change to this recipe would be a decrement.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort