1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,216 | Reviews: 2,483 | Show All Ratings:
UCLABrewN84

1.05/5  rDev -76.7%

Pours a murky dark brown with a 2 inch beige head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. No lacing forms on the drink down. Smells of dark fruits, fermented raisins, spices, and yeast. There is a bit of a funky smell coming out of the glass too. Taste is very spicy and surprisingly funky. Lots of fermented dark fruits and super dark brown sugar. However, there is a definitely an off flavor here as I am tasting dirty gym socks. It's to degree where it's not very dominant but it's enough to be noticeable. The beer is pretty flat and combined with the taste it's a chore to even sip on this one. Overall, I need to get another bottle of this to rereview sometime because I think there is something wrong with this one.

05-24-2011 03:14:27 | More by UCLABrewN84
ianranderson

1.2/5  rDev -73.4%

Had been looking forward to trying this beer for a while now. Boy was I disappointed. I honestly cannot think of one redeeming quality about this beer. It started off well. The appearance was a very nice copper color. The smell was awful. It smelled like rotten fruit and upon drinking it did not get any better. Very bitter and sour tasting. Not pleasant at all. By far the most disappointing beer I have ever had. I am hoping that I just had a bad bottle but after talking with others it seems that this is the norm now for Rochefort.

07-03-2008 23:28:43 | More by ianranderson
Spica66

1.68/5  rDev -62.7%

Fr. Ian and I decided that since I had obtained a Westy 12 from megriggs in Germany, why not buy a St. Bernardus Abt 12 and this one to see what the #1, 6 and 11 beers in the world and the #1, 2, and 3 Quads were all about.

We started with this one.

Served at 55 degrees into tulip glasses.

A: Very strong pop of the top. Dirty brown color, yeasty, cloudy. Decent head formation and retention, but not pleasant to look at due to the cloud of yeast in the beer that does not seem to want to settle out.

S: Funky. It is the least complex and most yeast-funk smell I have ever come across.

T: Horrible. Doesn't really even taste like beer. It is as if someone siphoned off the yeast cake and put in into flat cola and bottled it.

M: The good level of carbonation keeps this from being a slime on your tongue.

D: I had to force Fr. Ian to finish his.

I would not take another of these if you gave it to me. Biggest waste of $7 ever. I sure hope the other two work out better...

08-13-2010 13:55:47 | More by Spica66
Bouleboubier

1.88/5  rDev -58.3%

(bottle best by: 13 08 2018)

A: pretty damn opaque and dark - reddish-brown? can't tell... huge head on the pour into a balloon glass, open-sponge structure, tan-hued, crackly.... fair bit of yeast made it into the glass

S: bright, clean, flowery alcohol aromatics - also spicy in a ginger and nutmeg-sort of way.... sort of a faint brown sugar undertone.... really no rich, deep aromas that penetrate the sinuses - just this dead, flat, unappealing moldy citrus peel thing going on

T: is this another damn infected bottle?! just had this happen with the 8... this is awful - super phenolic-spicy and tart and sickly acidic.... obfuscating any and all malt character... burnt, ashy campfire twigs...

M: drying, desiccating, thin and lifeless

O: I'm really gonna have a hard time recommending this beer to customers until I get a decent bottle again... kinda sucks at this price point... what the hell is going on here?! I know it's not supposed to taste like this...

01-24-2014 07:40:24 | More by Bouleboubier
ajzbedo73

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev -54.5%

Bottle into over sized wine glass

A: Poured a deep amber and murky with very little head, with sediments floating in the foam (what head there was).

S: Had a strong grape smell to me. More like a low end merlot. Not what I was expecting at all. Don't get me wrong, I love a good wine (Napa Valley is on my bucket list), just not when I want a great beer.

T: Very malty, but not good malty. Reminds me of the Mickey's I drank when I was a teen. I don't get anything from this but alcohol and Mickey's. I'm trying, just nothing else there. Best sip was the last, the sediments did give a sweet taste.

M: As underwhelming as the smell and taste. Chewy, but a lingering foam. Foam like toothpaste with peroxide in it. It just doesn't go away. Has an alcohol burn going down. Definitely not pleasant.

D: I was very excited to try this beer, and left extremely disappointed. Maybe I need to try another bottle sometime. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something here. But if I wanted Mickey's, I'd buy Mickey's for less than this one bottle. I would not recommend. I wanted to like it, just wasn't possible.

02-01-2014 05:57:30 | More by ajzbedo73
krunchie

Sweden

2.1/5  rDev -53.4%

Really I don't get the fuzz about this beer. It really isn't the 15th best beer on planet earth...

Served in a Chimay glass at 11.1C (52F).
A: First off i noticed the giant yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle. I poured carefully, hoping it wouldn't come loose and get into the glass, but it came loose immediately and voilá: I had a glass of expensive beer with yeast globs swirling around in it. I waited for it to settle, as much as possible that is, and reviewed the appearance before I tasted it.

It's a thick, dark-red-brown to tar colored liquid with a slightly beige head. The head is quite thick and creamy and makes it look pretty good. Nice head retention and nice CO2 level.

S: Dark malts and dark sugars. Quite spicy: I got some cardamom and cinnamon for sure. Molasses. Quite fruity, but more like old fruit, like the smell of an apple that's turned brown of age. Some estery yeast smell, but not too much. I also got a slight vegetal, funky smell that reminded me of the smell of trub that's been in the brew kettle for a while after the wort's been transferred. Being a homebrewer I know that smell...and I don't like that smell in beer.
Good potential but it's not worth more than a 2. Once again, this beer is very highly rated so most people would probably not agree with me, but it's what I think and that's the score I'd give any other beer if it had these properties.

T: Very intensive. Dark, high cocoa-percentage chocolate, some hop bitterness, plums and spicy, almost chili-like flavors and aromas that make this beer quite hot. And the alcohol is not very bitter, but it tastes like vodka. You know that spicy, hot taste of pure vodka - well, it's there! A bit resiny too and some burnt sugar.

M: Creamy and full, nice CO2 but my overall feeling about this brew makes me want to give it no more than a 3.

D: The vodka-like alcohol tones, the trub-like aroma and the unpleasant bitterness that struck me in the back of the mouth and quite hard on the palate makes it very hard to drink.

Summary:
It's not like other trappists, even the other Rocheforts which I like, that just takes a long time to drink because they are so full-bodied and instensive with their rich flavors.
This beer takes a long time to drink because it just isn't good. It's no good and I don't recommend it....and I NEVER thought I'd say that about a trappist beer! But there you go. And I deeply and sincerely mean it. Go buy the 8 instead if you like trappists, it's MUCH better!

09-06-2009 14:32:56 | More by krunchie
Rainier

2.13/5  rDev -52.8%

I'm pretty sure I got a really bad batch of this beer. The appearance looked great IMO. It looked pretty dark, had about a 2 finger head. However, the taste and mouthfeel was waaay off for me. It literally tasted like vomit and I could taste the alcohol. I hope the bottle I had was a bad batch. It had a lot of sediments in it as well.

Used a duvel tulip glass to drink this.
Bought from Bevmo. It was pretty pricey too...

01-07-2013 05:44:07 | More by Rainier
aasher

2.2/5  rDev -51.2%

This beer poured the darkest of browns with a two finger light khaki head. The aromas are of plum, yeast bread, and ALOT of alcohol. It also has this slightly off, sour tinge to it. Meh. It's very bready and gives off a lot of dark fruits. Of course, a little too much alcohol. This makes me crave a St. Bernardus 12 Abt. It drinks ok, and that's about it. It's still crisp and goes down smoothly but isn't very drinkable. This beer features far too much alcohol. This was infinitely better the first time I had it. This bottle let me down. Rochefort is 0-2 on the evening.

01-28-2011 06:04:21 | More by aasher
Arbitrator

2.33/5  rDev -48.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: An opaque brown with reddish highlights when held to the light. A nice light tan-colored head that pours 1 finger high and recedes slowly into a significant film on the top, leaving some lacing behind.

S: Sour apples, raisins, figs, and cocoa. A very noticeable alcohol nose that is reminiscent of the aroma of cheap spirits in plastic bottles.

T: The initial taste is dominated by sour apples, figs, raisins. Chocolate comes in the mid-taste. The finish is all alcohol burn, reminding me of bottom-shelf vodka. Normally, I consider how well-hidden the ABV is to factor into the mouthfeel, but it's so prevalent and strong here that I can't even enjoy the flavors.

M: Full-bodied with active and energetic carbonation -- too carbonated, even for the style. It seems to attack the mouth instead of blending with the flavor.

D: A very good flavor, but the alcohol smell and taste are an absolute deal-breaker. There are similarly complex brews that do a better job of masking the burn. I will try the Rochefort 8, but I have no intention of purchasing the 10 again. A very undrinkable brew.

02-15-2009 09:59:18 | More by Arbitrator
dfranks

2.4/5  rDev -46.8%

Well I sure hope that I dont get stoned for this one...I did not like this beer at all. I honestly think it was the very high alcohol in this but not really sure. I will admit this is the first quad I have ever bought so maybe its just not my style but couldnt even finish this. Even after paying $6 for this bottle!!

Poured into glass and noticed bits floating around (this is normal though for this beer) the dark brown beer with a really nice head. I really thought it looked great in the glass and was really excited to try. Go in for it and noticed a pretty decent smell. My smile quickly turns into a frown. My first taste wasnt bad (although not good) and could really notice the alcohol/wine taste which was nice but as this beer started to warm a little I just couldn't continue. Drank about 1/2 and just had to quit. Not enjoyable at all.

Im sure if you are someone who enjoy quad beers than this would be good but just not for me.

08-23-2009 01:30:41 | More by dfranks
TurdFurgison

2.63/5  rDev -41.7%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle.

Appearance: Deep reddish brown with perfect head.

Smell: Sweet esters and fruits.

Taste: Completely overpowering sweetness, kind of sickly to me. I know this is supposed to be top-shelf, but I honestly cannot stand the flavor. Reminds me somewhat of medicine.

Notes: This is a highly rated beer that many other people evidently appreciate more than me. I guess it just comes down to personal taste...

07-16-2005 17:55:33 | More by TurdFurgison
vkv822

Oregon

2.63/5  rDev -41.7%

11.2oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours a very dark brown. When held to the light has lighter brown edges and a haziness becomes apparent. Has a foamy tan head of about a quarter inch that has great retention.

The nose is sweet with dark sugars, tart apple, and a yeast backing. Faint alcohol in the backing.

The taste is of brown sugar, dark fruit and light yeast phenol. There are also some tart apple notes in the finish as well as an alcohol burn.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with low, yet prickly carbonation.

It has some nice qualities, but the ABV is not well integrated and by the end of the glass is incredibly dominant, I just wasn't impressed overall.

11-12-2011 08:43:11 | More by vkv822
Wetpaperbag

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -41.2%

A- Poured nicely until the yeast splooged into the glass. I thought I was pouring the beer better then that. It was a bit of a turn off to the beer. Head is very loose and that of a typical Belgian beer.

S- The smell is fruity with a strong smell of alcohol.

T- The taste was less fruity and more like cured meat. Strong taste of soy sauce and almost salty. I am getting a small hint of dates, and grapes. But very small.

M- Fizzy and very carbonated in the mouth and going down.

D- This is one that I'm not going to buy again. Perhaps I just got a crappy one, or it went bad. Drank right after purchase. I'm not one to pour a beer down the drain, but it is tempting. Then again I'm not one to waste beer, good or bad. I did prefer the Rochefort 8 more. This beer seems very one dimensional. I know I'm rating this beer pretty low, but I've had lots better quads then this.

05-21-2008 21:47:26 | More by Wetpaperbag
mulder1010

Australia

2.7/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

served in a Rochefort goblet.

A-- dark, dark brown with a tan head. Head was 1 inch and quickly faded. Good amount of carbonation with the beer. Was amazed by how dark the beer was. Made me salivate in excitement.

S-- Burnt sugar, figs, vanilla, and alcohol. Lots of alcohol. The more it warmed the more apparent the alcohol became.

T-- candied sugar and alcohol. Well carbonated but I said several times in lunch that this was so not what I expected and was just tasting the alcohol

M-- Overly sweet and too much alcohol. There was such a burn with this it was just hard to drink. The warmer it got th worse the burn was. Too heavy for me I think.

D-- One was enough.

I will be honest as I have sat on these notes for 3 weeks now. I feel guilty for even writing this. So many good reviews and I just flat out was unhappy with this beer. ABV was too high for me I think. I will try the 8 and try this again. It may not be a beer that just suits me and that I get. I got too much alcohol and it was a total turn off to me.

08-05-2009 12:36:46 | More by mulder1010
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

2.73/5  rDev -39.5%

This Quad has a thick cloudy brown color with a heavy thick even light brown head. The smell is rich with fermented fruit. The taste is lighter than expected. It has an ethereal aftertaste and a warming effect probably due to the high alcohol content. A bit nutty but far more sterile than I would have hoped for in a “good” Belgium beer. It has all the tags to be a great beer but it lacks a full flavor. Perhaps the 6 or the 8 will have a more intact flavor. Seems, overly fermented?

12-31-2005 07:49:22 | More by TheEclecticGent
Sixpack595

2.85/5  rDev -36.8%

What a dissapointment. Medicinal, sour and bitter. I really don't see what all the hype is about. I hope this was just a bad bottle, but at 7 bones a pop I won't be giving it a retry any time soon. It looked nice, it smelled nice, but it tasted like cough medicine served in an ashtray after you just brushed your teeth. The beer did get better as it warmed, and the alcohol did make it a bit more palatable, but all in all I think it was a bad beer. After trying all the great Unibroue beers this one fell far short.

08-20-2003 06:33:07 | More by Sixpack595
waughbrew

2.88/5  rDev -36.1%

Reddish light brown with a very light brown head that lasts for a short bit. No lace. Smells of caramel rum raisin alcohol, nutmeg, and a hint of smoke. Flavor is sweet rum raisin in oak, cloyingly sugary. Rumminess is annoying. Finish really disappoints. Where are those beautiful yeasts? Oh that's right, they are covered up by the rum candy sweetness. Cough-syrupesque by the end. Feel is a little chalky and thicker than expected, but good. Finish is way too sweet and boring for me. I did not even want to finish the 11.2 ounce bottle.

A real disappointment for me. Where is the complexity? Just because it has alcohol doesn't mean it is good. No hops, and not all that much yeast character. I don't understand this beer.

09-15-2004 20:49:49 | More by waughbrew
pinkano

Czech Republic

2.95/5  rDev -34.6%

A - very dark red with brown
S - kind of peppery and bitter with some figs on the beginning
T - alcohol is not hidden very well to the body and the bitternes is kind of obtrusive. Sweet end on the tongue.
M - lower carbonation that I expected from this beer
D - not so much drinkable at all, but outstanding on 11,3%

12-26-2010 15:28:46 | More by pinkano
mrasskicktastic

2.98/5  rDev -33.9%

A - Mahogany with a two finger head. Lacing clings all over the glass. Gorgeous!

S - Figs, dates, a plethora of floral notes. It is almost offensive. Like spraying perfume up your nose. Definitely too fragrant, there are too many pleasant odors smashed together, not much is decernable. It is intensely sweet smelling.

T - Fruity, plums, dates and yellow raisins, accompany a bit of allspice and a potent sugar. The aftertaste is at first very sweet, I can see how others might like this, but I didn't. Then is is a slight bitter, but a bouquet of flavor continuously strikes long after you drink. It's neat at parts, but odd at others.

M - Thick, froths up in your mouth a lot. Fairly refreshing, but not in the sense that it washes things down. It leaves a residue.

D - For a quad, this is pretty drinkable. It still is a bit of a struggle to finish it. It is a good beer that many would like, a good beer that I won't soon buy again.

12-22-2005 07:28:36 | More by mrasskicktastic
spdyfire83

Ireland

2.98/5  rDev -33.9%

128th Review
Bottle to Westvletren 12 (small) chalice

From notes. This was beer #2 that was enjoyed as part of a blind Quad tasting - to warm our palates before the real tasting - in Utrecht (December 2011). Thanks Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo for the hospitality!

A: Deep tint of brown. 0.5 (mocha) fingernail head on Jeffo's pour - I was being honest.

S: Currants, caramelized brown sugar, toffee, coffee, and plums. Hint of sour funk though which was weird.

T: Taste a bit better than it smells, but still seems a bit off.

M: Medium-full bodied with soft carbonation.

O: This was my least favorite of the five being poured, but I think the bottle may have been off. We had a lengthy discussion about this, but I don't really remember what the conclusion was. I'll come back to it again at some point in the future and probably re-review it just for kicks.

01-25-2012 21:13:18 | More by spdyfire83
ElCommodoro

Pours a surprisingly DARK hazy brown. I mean DARK. I didn't know a quad could look like this. Smell is typical yeasty smell of Belgian beers with a maltier tone.
The TASTE was a punch in the face. I was not expecting this. It was a punch in the face of dark, rotting fruits. ALL of them! It was a punch in the face of yeast. It had a MUCH maltier backbone than I was expecting. This stuff is like Belgian beer extract. The only thing it WASN'T a punch in the face of, sadly, was alcohol. The bite is a lot less subdued than in most quads I've tried. Well hidden under layer upon layer of dark, fruity flavours and thick essence of malted barley. I like flavourful beers, but this is maybe too much for me. It's so sweet, and with such, a full body, and so much yeast. I mean, this is an interesting experience, but for the price tag, I definitely can't go back for this again. It may be considered an ancient standard of the style, but this is crazy with the flavours. Under some rotting apricot flavour, I just got a whiff of some coriander, cinnamon and maybe anise. To add to my overwhelming experience. I'm not sure what to do about this insane concoction. I know it's a classic, but it's so intense that it's hard to get through my 11 ounces, even. If you want something that took more ingredients in one bottle than American beers put in a keg, try this out. It will blow your mind.

What really put me over the edge, though, was too much of a brown sugar/molasses type flavour. I like sweet beers, but that brown sugary flavour is just cloying.

11-25-2013 07:34:11 | More by ElCommodoro
JackTheRipper

3.03/5  rDev -32.8%

I almost feel bad, the beer I reviewed before this one was the mighty Westy 12, so my review may be a bit skewed as I'm still thinking about that heavenly brew...
A: Dark brown, maybe some faint ruby highlights. Thinnish tan head. Lots of sediment in the glass, even with an uber careful pour.

S: Poured this into my Chimay chalice, I think I may have done it a disservice, seems like a tulip glass might better bring the nose out. Smells, hmm. Spicy. Strong smell of alcohol at first. There's a nice smell like a kitchen where sugar cookies are finished baking. That's nifty. Strong rum soaked fruit. Darkly rich malts (I don't know what that means, either, but that's the phrase my brain spewed forth).

T: Hot alcohol flash. Spicy. I don't know, this doesn't seem to be all that great. Leaves a bit of an unpleasant lingering whiskey-like aftertaste.

M: Too hot. The alcohol warmth of the Westy was like a light kiss on the cheek, this beer's warmth is like an angry school marm cracking my knuckles with a ruler. Moderate to high level of carbonation. Full body.

D&N: I gotta say, this one isn't doing anything for me. This one is fairly easy to get a hold of for me, but I don't think I'll be buying this one again.
Edit: D/199

06-25-2005 12:50:35 | More by JackTheRipper
Realale

Missouri

3.05/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a cloudy, mostly opaque dark reddish brown. Very fine tight beige head settles quickly to a thin, rocky complete cap.

Nose is very spirity (rum/whisky) over substantial sweet raisiny malt. It shows a bit more fruitiness with time, and a touch of yeastiness, but its not particularly complex or pleasant.

Very rich in the mouth, pushing the limit of acceptable sweetness for me. Its quite fruity, and there is a ton of rich bready malt. Some yeastiness as well. The tiny, constant streams of fine carbonation rising throughout the pint keep it from being ponderous. The alcohol is a readily apparent, and not particularly pleasant, component of the palate.

06-23-2003 06:59:36 | More by Realale
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -32.4%

Hooray! Finally, I get to put my Trappistes Rochefort chalice to its intended use.

From a 330ml bottle, Rochefort 10 pours a velvety brown with tiny gold highlights; Soon a mochalike froth of a head builds, and the last tilt of the bottle is met with a stream of delicious belgian brown sediment. The head leaves little lacing, and remains as a soapy ring around the murky brown surface.

Smells of raisins and slight sugar are drowned out by oaky alcohol scents - whiskey dominated. Not as strong of a scent as I've come to expect from a quadrupel, especially given the chalice, intended to capture all those scents and offer them up to the nose.

The flavor peaks with a lot more whiskey - There are some grassy tones, and very, very slight cherry, but alcohol and oak are dominant. I absolutely despise whiskey, so this really isn't the flavor for me. The flavor is actually a little watery for a quadrupel, so it reminds me unpleasantly of a whiskey and water.

Mouthfeel is zesty with carbonation, lively, if you will, and rather light. It finishes extremely dry, the alcohol stripping everything from the palate.

I'm uncharacteristically dissappointed in this one - my palate just doesn't like the flavors and experiences it provides very much. I won't rate it lower than average, because I understand that it's my mouth's problem, not the beer's. Your milage may vary.

03-12-2006 06:52:26 | More by Tupperwolf
Vendetta

Original Rating Date:
September 19, 2008

Strong pruney raisin smell. Smells very vinous. Taste is strong -- lots of dry raisin and dark grape. Darker taste. Similar to St Bernardus Abt 12, but overall I didn't find nearly as much complexity in this brew. This is one of the most overrated beers on both this site and ratebeer. Still very enjoyable, however, especially if you like the Belgian Abbott/Quadrupels. I'm also not that big of a fan of the style, so that may sway my view as well. If you like quadrupels, you'll love this beer either way.

12-14-2008 18:27:26 | More by Vendetta