Trappistes Rochefort 10 - Brasserie de Rochefort

Trappistes Rochefort 10Trappistes Rochefort 10

Brasserie de Rochefort

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.30% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 11-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappistes Rochefort 10 Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,698 | Hads: 8,490

Bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) in June 2005 and consumed later that evening. Pours a 1 finger light-brown head over a dark ruby red liquid. Smells sugar sweet, alcohol, caramel, raisin...all this just during the pour. To the nose I get chocolate, toffee, raisin, pera, coriander, gentle orange, and the alcohol is very mild. My word that was amazing. How about a taste. Licorice, toffee, chocolate with a nice alcohol sting that is in line with the sweet and works well with the plethora of flavors that assault my mouoth. Rummy and caramel, brown sugar. Tastes like a warm sweet muffin with melted brown sugar trickled on each bite. Thick mouthfeel and mildly carbonated. There is no lacing on the inside of the glass, but there is a thin film of head that lasted all the way to the very last taste.

Phenomenal. Truly the most incredible and complex beer I've ever had. Just an amazing barrage of flavors, each standing noticable, but none towering over the others dominantly. The flavors work well together, chasing each other and blending into each other, only to re-emerge as a subtly redefined version of their prior selves.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

App: Deep brown with fluffy chocolate colored head. Laced entire glass.

Smell: Phenols, and malt. Light coffee and molasses. Caramel also with a healthy dose of alcohol.

Taste: Deep and very malty and phenolic. Alcohol very present, almost out of balance. Brown sugar and molasses taste with a nutty aftertaste. Very good, but a little heavy in the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Seemed a bit lighter than other quads, and carbonated a bit more, but it worked.

Drink: Just alright at 11.3% abv.

Overall: I thought this beer was definitely solid, but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. To me I prefer St. Bernardus. I thought the alcohol was a bit out of balance in this beer and that caused me to downgrade it slightly. Believe me I like high abv. beers as much as anyone, i just thought it "stuck out" to me above all other flavors. I may have served it on the warm side though, so I'll give it another shot soon. I'd still recommend it though and would search it out to try it.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Simply, a wonderful beer, and by far, my favorite to date. I am very sensitive to carbonation and this delicious brew has just enough for flavor, feel and complexity, but not too much to mess with my system.

I started with a purchase of two, which I've drunk in only four days. I am ordering twelve more, yes expensive, but well worth the pleasure.

I find this beer similiar to St. B's Abt 12, which is also one of my favorites.

I am quite new to the "high-brow" beer drinking experience, and am very grateful for everyone's insight here.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into a goblet a dark brown haze, heavy in suspended particulates, very pale brown at the edges in the light. Nose is brown sugar, raisins, and malty alcohol. Taste is malt and alcohol. I love these big beers that have a sweet whiskey feel on the tongue. Dark fruit, molasses, and an alcohol finish make this a delicious concoction. Mouthfeel is a little thinner than I would like, but doesn't detract from the experience. If it weren't for the damned ABV, I'd sit and drink beers like this all night. Excellent.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

This king of Quads gracefully fills my goblet with a deep chestnut brown brew, the densely thick off white head retains very well, eventually settling to a lacey veil that will remain to the end. Lacing is as thick as it comes.

The aroma is a Heavenly perfume ripe with notes of black cherry, apricot, pear, gingery spice, and dried fig. It is filled with dark caramel, toffee, and brown sugar sweetness and has a hop note of floral and spice. As others have noted, there is a distinct nuttiness to it that melds well with the creamy caramel in it. This is one of those beers that you must breath in for a full five minutes before sampling, wow.

A sip reveals a superbly crafted ale overflowing with flavors of dark cherries, apricot, tropical fruit, toasted almonds, coconut, berries, cocoa, molasses, yeasty spice and floral hops. There is so much going on here I can barely keep up.

The mouthfeel is absolutely lush and creamy with a huge body supported by fine trickles of carbonation. Each sip gets better than the one before, amazing. This is by far the best Quad I've ever had and one of the finest beers period. It just doesn't get any better than this.

As always, thanks for sharing Gabe.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Decided to spring for this because a freind was leaving for L.A. until december.($6.99 for 33 cl) let it warm for about 20 minutes before pouring.

color is quite amazing, an opaque orange caramel color. it looks like you should be able to see through it but you can't. little bit of caramel colored head that deminishes but retains a thin layer.

smells like chocolate and apricots or rasins. also has a hint of alcohol.

goes down very well. starts of sweet and slightly fruity and finishes with chocolate and alcohol flavor. as it warms, any harshness disapers and is delightful to drink.

don't drink it cold. it says on the bottle to drink between 54-58 degrees, but it is fine even warmer than that. i couldn't drink more than one or two in a sitting but definately awsome to have on special occasions.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle dated for use by 04-08-09. Pours a dark depp brown with a extremely bubbly head that dissipates to nothing in no time at all. Aroma is very enticing--hints of dark rum, cherries, pepper, raisins, chocolate, plums. Taste is absolutely wonderful--- thick molasses like malts mixed with peppery spices and a warming alchohol sensation. Mouthfeel is full and thick, just coating your mouth with the flavorful goodness. This is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%

appearance: darkest of the three... brown as brown can be, approaching black in the center of my cup. not much foam. not any foam. a slight crown around the chalice's edge. the most clear of the three, and similar in appearance to WV12 and abt12. lacing is very thin and gets crunchy really fast. as always, bad-ass rochefort label kicks the appearance up a notch.

aroma: lighter on malt with big dark fruit up front. winey. sugar and campfire follow through. clean aroma for something so deep and complex.

taste: bitter dark malts hit you like a brick. finish is smooth thanks to the richer figgy notes. mouthfeel matches with a hefty luxury... like pureed fruit. approaching cognac in its caramel-meets-alcohol-sting-in-wood complexity. a sipper and perfect for near-room temperature. remarkable how something this sweet lacks that yeasty tartiness. it does, its an achievement.

Appearance: Deep amber in color, with a small off-white head, excellent broken lacing, with scattered patches of sticky foam. The head lingers reaching toward eternity. Best if used by date is 04-08-09.

Aroma: Quite pronounced aroma of caramel and toffee, hazelnuts, alcohol, and earth. The hazelnut character is quite pronounced. Somehow or the aroma other this vaguely reminds me of a 5th Avenue candy bar - in a quite positive connotation.

Taste: Once again, the hazelnuts seem quite dominant, there is also cocoa, and an earthy character. A rich malt character is present from start to finish. The close of the taste is tart and very, very dry, with a lingering earthy note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, rich, very full, almost syrupy, with only faint carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An overwhelmingly superb beer, which challenges my powers of description. Quite likely the best beer I have ever had.

Thanks to HardTarget for generously sharing this stellar beer.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

This is a good brew though it is so darn hard to review. It changes by the sip. This is clearly a sipping beer with some wallop to it.

In appearance it is a cloudy chestnut brown with an abundant off-white head. Abundant coarse carbonation on the chalice sides.

Aroma is mollasses and caramel and sweet malt with slight floral undertones.

Taste is sweet toffee, dark dried fruit and strong alcohol warmth.

Qradrupel beers are sippers, not quaffers. I enjoy them whenever I can. This beer was pricey (5.99 a 11.2 Oz.)but I can now state it is worth the price.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I just picked up a bottle of this today, logged in here and saw this review, so I figure I'll give it a shot as well.

I'm an American college student living in London for a while, and this has been my first opportunity to legally purchase beer. Since I don't have to confine myself to the cheapest, easiest to chug then smash on your forehead beers anymore, I've been trying to try a wide variety of different kinds of brews. The idea of exclusive groups of Belgian monks making 'Trappist' beers in their abbeys intrigued me, and I'm trying to sample as many as possible while I'm in Europe. So far I've had Chimay Blue, Westmalle Tripel, and now this Rochefort 10.

Anyway, I don't know anything about reviewing beer, but this is a very good one. It comes off pretty strong, and it's obviously very alcoholic, but it's not harsh at all. It's a rich brown, with a lot of nice tan head initially, and it leaves a nice lacing on my glass, which I admit is not the recommended Trappist chalice. Still, it tastes great, and I can definitely see the coffee and chocolate, and the flavors linger on my tongue for a long time. I dig it.

All in all, well worth the three pounds or so I paid for it, and the long walk across town to get it. Especially when I consider that I'll probably end up paying more than that for a bottle of Budweiser in a bar later tonight. Cheers

This beer is another absolutely flawless beer Rochefort. Even drinking this side by side with the 8 I can't find decide which is better as they are both so perfect in their own ways.

Poures a delecious creamy brown color with tons of thick pillow head.

Smell is a breathtaking variety of smells, with heavy toffee malts mixing with various dark fruits and hints of alcohol.

Taste is just fantastic, so many flavors mixing together so perfectly with just a touch of alcohol flavors.

Mouthfeel is incredibly creamy and full with a nice alcohol warming.

Drinkability is incredible, I have drank several of these over the last couple months and I can't seem to get it enough. I could probably drink this everyday I think and never get sick of it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I have been reading so much about this beer, now finally I have the opportunity. Of course dumb-ass, you wouldn't be writing about it if not.

Very basic bottle presentation, just as the Trappist monks. Pours a deep, deep brown, with a very polite head. Instantly you can smell the alcohol, followed closely behind by very earthy tones, cinnamon and forest greens (that doesn't make sense). The taste is definitely the strongest characteristic of this brew, breads, cloves, and something sweet.

Strong brew overall, considering the price it's not "drinkable", but ultimately is. If my typing is any indication at this point you'll come to know the alcohol quite quickly.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Bottle, best before sometime in 2009 (hinting that I shouldn't be drinking it just yet). I shouldn't be rating this, as I am recovering from a cold, however I decided to go ahead anyway because I think the beer has aided in my recovery. Only disappointment in the appearence was the small head. What was there laced pretty well. Deep effervescent chocolate amber colour made up for the disappointing head. Aroma, um, well, big! Spices, toffee, raisins, flowers, alcohol... Taste - um, well, huge! And it needs to be to get in before the alcohol which is considerable and smacks you in the face at the finish. Despite the big, warm, dry, (kinda like Australia) alcoholic finish, the balance remains very good, which is a big achievement. I think this is assisted by the fine carbonation which leads to a lush yet subtle feel. Would love to taste the same batch in 2009 to see what has changed. Think I might head back to the beer shop.

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%

Hooo baby!

Pours a dark brown with a nice head. Dissipated kind of fast. Still, a beauty to behold.

Smells like a friggin' fruit basket. Hints of plum, orange, grapefruit, and prunes.

Tastes beautiful. Sweet, fruity flavor. Definite raisin and prunes. Like the dried fruits I just described, this baby tastes aged and mature. Thick, full bodied, and absolutely delicious. Some yeast notes and a slight bit of spice round out this brew, with a tiny bit of carbonation which only enhances the savory character of it all.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bit of preface: my first experience with beer of this caliber was St. Bernardus Abt 12. I thought it couldn never be matched. Since then, I've seen numerous threads such as "St. Bernardus vs. Rochefort" or "Westvleteren vs. St. Bernardus." I haven't come across the Westy yet, but the Rochefort is always around so I thought I'd give it a try and see if it lives up to the hype. Let's crack this puppy open... Appears a very dark brown color, practically opaque with a big dark head resting on top, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Incredibily fragrant nose. A sweet cake-liek aroma out front, but no ordinary cake. It tingles your nose with hints of alcohol and spicyness. If this tastes as good as it smells I'll be a very happy man... Oh man it's good. Instead of comparing it to St. Bernardus it's really quite different. I can actually taste the alcohol in this and the spicy hops as well. Still the overriding taste is the sweetness, complex as it is, but there's a nice peppery quality to this beer that I didn't anticipate. Mouthfeel is nice and full, with the perfect amounth of carbonation. I don't know what it is, but there certianly is a distinct trappist feel to this beer that I wish I could identify and put into words, but I can't. For now I'll just enjoy it.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Dark brown with a nice but short-lived head. Very fizzy with smoke rising from the uncapped bottle.

Smells rich and complex. Roasted malt, almost like a stout, with nodes of coffee, along with the rich, ripe fruit of a good Belgian.

And it tastes like a mixture between a good stout and a Belgian, too. Stoutier upfront, big coffee and chocolate, moving into a Belgian in the middle, rich fruit and an alcohol zip and fizz, and then ending in a combination of both. An earth taste prevades. Nice.

Exceptional mouthfeel, but the high alcohol is too present in the taste to make this an easy-drinking beer. It's exceptional, nonetheless.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Really good all-around beer. I don't think that the alcohol is hidden as well as, say, the St. Bernardus 12, but it's pretty similar.

Pours a murky brown color with little speckles floating in it, with no apparent head. Smell is great, a little like a fruity brandy with a touch of hops and wheat. The alcohol is hardly noticeable.
The taste is great. The first sip is a little overwhelming because of all the tastes, but as you take more and more they go down much smoother. Alcohol is the first taste that you get, but then the beer effervesces on your tongue and the taste dissipates leaving behind a pleasant wheaty mouthfeel. As far as Trappist Quadruples this is debatable the top, and it is true to its reputation.

4.74/5  rDev +6%

I usually don't just say that a beer is a 5.0, but this one is definitely exceptional in this many regards.

Head: Slim, fast to disperse. The body seems black, but it's dark brown.

Nose: Huge, sweet malt, ripe fruits, and chocolates with heady alcohol in the undertones. This beer has such a nice aroma, I keep going back to it.

Taste: Oh man! Instantly gratifying. Rich, fine banana bread, spices, concord grapes(?).

Finish: Dry. Faintly tart, just a touch of bitterness.

My thanks go to John at Federal Wines & Spirits for donating a bottle of this exceptional beer.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Chocolate soda - mit pradikat!

To liken this to any soda borders on blasphemy. Nevertheless, the taste was at once reminiscent of a rich chocolatey espresso I had in the islands, albeit shades more subtle all around.

I almost fainted tasting this puppy - my God, was it delicious!

I edge Abt 12 over this purely because of personal preference; I could return to this world in future reincarnations and easily favor TR10 as my life fluid.

Carefully fruity, rich, sublime and at once captivating in the sensuality it exudes. A remarkable brew.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

330 mL, bottled on 8/4/04. The bottle overflowed with foam when I popped the top - really sucks when you're paying $7 for less than 12 oz. of this stuff. Served just under room temp. in a Chimay chalice. Pours a cloudy dark red/brown with a fizzy, 1 finger, tan head that doesn't leave much lacing but doesn't disappear either. Smell is rum bread, cherries, bananas, green apples, and maybe a hint of chocolate. At first the carbonation is tingly but is very nice by the end. And so many flavors on the palate... cherries, plums, apples, bananas, pears?, citrus?, coriander?, chocolate, rum, pine, yeast... whew! The beer also alternates between buttery/sugary/sweet and a somewhat powerful bitterness, both of which complement the other flavors well. The alcohol is well hidden in the taste but very warming. Pairs perfectly with milk chocolate. If I drank another of these right now I would be out another 7 bones but I would be oh so happy....and very intoxicated.

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: A murky chocolate brown with a firm, off-white head. Great duration. Leaves lace on glasswall.

Smell: Rich. Fruity esters (green/red apple), raisin, cocoa butter, a bit of cake spice, brown sugar, chocolate orange slice, butterscotch diacetyl, the WTF!? duo of soy sauce and cigar ash and, finally, alcohol and solvent vapors. This thing really unwinds as it warms, let me tell ya.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is full and coating, but the carbonation is surprisingly crisp. Slight alcohol burns off the bat, but soon a sweet maltiness reveals itself. There's some molasses, yeast spice and white pepper, fruitcake, dark fruit, slight hint of milk chocolate and a nice splash of pineapple/orange juice. Despite all this, the finish is oddly dry.

Drinkability: Good, but at almost $8 for an 11.2, it's simply too pricey to be "drinkable." Still, it's nice to have the real deal, and the beer is really well balanced, it's controlled, complex--it's just flat-out good. If you can bear parting with the cash, it's quite a beer.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I got a chance to try this beer, this past weekend. ive never been disappointed by a trappist ale yet, and the rochefort 10 was no different. A wonderful aroma of black current filled my nose as i looked at this glass of dark brown nectar, sitting with a little less than a half inch tan head. The flavor, smooooth and rich, the alcohol doesent dominate the glass, wonderful balance. I enjoyed this with some nice cheese, savoring it like a 20 year tawny port. The trappistes really do some amazing things with yeast water malt candy sugar and hops.Any one who calls themselves a BA should consider the five trappist breweries offerings required drinking, they wont regret a sip of it

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Well, I'm not going to argue the glowing reviews this special beer has gotten. Perfect in every way but drinkability, which is a good thing at $9 a pop. Pours black as night with a tight, tan head, that won't go away over the hour or so you'll spend sipping it. What a fantastic smell - prunes, raisins, molasses, and cherries. I'm going to put a couple in my cellar and see if this outstanding brew gets even better with age...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Ruddy opaque dim brown with a scant halo head cap that opened with a "fwisk!" Second pour reveals a more yeasty scrod chunckers pour.

Delicious bold cornucopia fruit aroma and awl-kee-hawl scents. Brown bananas, dark cherries, sweet cake malts. Sugars and spices abound with nutmeg and cinamon. notes.

First swigs: Bold awl-kee-hawl & cake malts. Nearly gin like in the palate. Lingering peppery flavor with a smidgeon of yeasty aftertaste. Almond middle. Fresh ginger and gingerbread with vanilla anisette & confectioners sugar.

Soft plushy carbonation. Sneaky full body satin feel.

Last swigs: Enigmatic quad. A slice of Heaven. Liquid rum soaked bread pudding. Exquisite sipper. $7.95 % for a bottle at Whole Foods.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 from Brasserie de Rochefort